Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men Franchise

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

Thanks for creating this, Biz! I didn't want to derail the current movie's thread.

So, after watching Days of Future Past, naturally I went back to watch First Class, X-1, X-2. Because like I said in the other thread, nothing could induce me to watch the crapfest that was X-3, that killed off Xavier, Scott/Cyclops, and to a lesser extent, Jean. I swear Famke's portrayal just makes me hate that character now.

And I caught something. Halle tried to use some sort of accent for Storm in the first one. But it was really bad and awful, and the accent kept slipping. I guess the voice coach couldn't get her to stick to it or get it right, because by the time the X-2 came around, she was speaking in a regular ole American accent.

It's AMAZING how Patrick Stuart hasn't aged a DAY over the past 14 years!  And Jackman looks so...boyish. He was soooo hawt, and just kept getting hawwttter.

What?

And why I thought Romjin's Mystique didn't look as bad as Lawrence's I don't know. Because she was just as scaly, if not moreso and more alien looking. Don't know why they couldn't have just painted them blue, like with Beast. And actually put some clothes on Mystique.

Now I don't read a lot of the press releases or sneak peeks when these movies came out, so I'm wondering if Bryan Singer thought to go back and watch to see how the story was set up in X-1 before he did First Class. Or wait...did Singer do First Class? Anyway, it's such a disconnect, because it's clear to me that Romjin's Mystique doesn't give two shits about Xavier. Or maybe it's just the passage of time? I dunno.

The one thing that continue to irritate and bug me about Famke's Jean is how Jean was afraid of her powers and couldn't handle them. Give me a fucking break. That's not the Jean I got to know from the 90s toons! She totally owned her powers and unleashed them when she needed to.  Again, like I said in the Days of Future Past thread, I never read the comics, but grew up from watching the 90s toons.

And hey, did y'all know that George Buza, who voiced Beast, was the bartender in X-1 that pulled a shotgun on Logan?

• Love 2

So, after watching Days of Future Past, naturally I went back to watch First Class, X-1, X-2. Because like I said in the other thread, nothing could induce me to watch the crapfest that was X-3

We actually re-watched everything (except the stand-alone Wolverine movies). X3 was as annoying and dumb as I'd remembered. Seriously, its only redeeming feature was getting to see James Marsden's gorgeous eyes. ;)

The newer batch of X-men movies (with Fassbender/MacAvoy) have to be stand-alones/reboots from the first 3 X-men movies though. In X3, Xavier and Magneto visit young Jean Grey and Charles is walking. Hubby was all "...um, didn't he get paralyzed in the '60s?"

I'm kind of glad that the events of the Days of Future Past movie basically erases all the X-Men movies. My only sadness is that the new timeline still has Anna Paquin as Rogue. With her continuing as Rogue and Channing Tatum as Gambit, they have officially ruined my favourite X-men pairing. :(

That's not the Jean I got to know from the 90s toons!

Heh. I loved the hell out of that cartoon series. Still have the taped episodes!!!

• Love 1
The one thing that continue to irritate and bug me about Famke's Jean is how Jean was afraid of her powers and couldn't handle them. Give me a fucking break. That's not the Jean I got to know from the 90s toons! She totally owned her powers and unleashed them when she needed to.

Agreed.  Though perhaps I could have lived with how she was written in the films if she were played by a different actress.  Famke Janssen doesn't have the face or posture to be believable as this seemingly hesitant, vulnerable character.  She was all wrong for Jean, and it wasn't just her age.    

I think growing up with the 90s cartoon and having that in my head soured me on the Singer films (X3 does not exist, lalalala).  Especially since most of the 90s series' main characters were, forgive my language, grown ass men and women.  I didn't hate the movies, but the cast was so lackluster that I was never invested in the X-Men as a group.  Only the casting of Xavier, Wolverine, and Magneto were nailed (in all films).  I always preferred Cyclops to Wolverine (guess I like 'em square!), and while I think James Marsden has talent, playing opposite Hugh Jackman just highlighted that how miscast he was (though it is ironic that in the cartoon, I remember Scott being much taller than Wolverine).  And it's really a shame, given how powerful Storm, Jean, and Rogue are, that the casting people were either asleep at the wheel or possibly high.

And yes, I, too, preferred Rogue and Gambit as a couple over Scott and Jean.  Jean kind of annoyed me across the board - in all of the animated series, and the films.  Though she was much more tolerable in the 90s version. 

I'm rather meh about Channing Tatum, but I feel like he'd be okay as Gambit if he can nail the Cajun aspect of the character.  I don't think he can be any worse than Taylor Kitsch, but it's no secret that I'm not a Kitsch fan, either. Truly, I can't think of any age-appropriate white male actor that could convey the je ne sais quoi that is Gambit, unless the actor himself has Cajun roots. I assume they are out there, but none come to mind.    

And hey, did y'all know that George Buza, who voiced Beast, was the bartender in X-1 that pulled a shotgun on Logan?

Didn't know that - interesting fact!

• Love 2

The one thing that continue to irritate and bug me about Famke's Jean is how Jean was afraid of her powers and couldn't handle them. Give me a fucking break. That's not the Jean I got to know from the 90s toons! She totally owned her powers and unleashed them when she needed to.  Again, like I said in the Days of Future Past thread, I never read the comics, but grew up from watching the 90s toons.

I've never seen Movie!Jean this way. I share the same distaste and to me she comes across as snotty and entitled. Especially when in the second movie she tells Logan that girls like the bad guy, but bring the good guy home. She just seems so bitchy. I also seem to remember Cartoon!Jean having problems with simple uses of her power. Then again, I've always hated the wench and the triangle.

• Love 1
(edited)

And I caught something. Halle tried to use some sort of accent for Storm in the first one. But it was really bad and awful, and the accent kept slipping. I guess the voice coach couldn't get her to stick to it or get it right, because by the time the X-2 came around, she was speaking in a regular ole American accent.

That accent was all over the place. She attempts to speak with it early on in the film (not sure what order these clips were shot in), but in the Liberty Island scene she has absolutely no accent whatsoever. Also, why is she always so damned scared looking? I can never get over how this character is nothing at all like the Storm from the comics I grew up with. Halle's acting in these films is laughably bad. I don't care if she won that damned Oscar. If you can't consistently deliver good performances, you aren't that good. 

And why I thought Romjin's Mystique didn't look as bad as Lawrence's I don't know. Because she was just as scaly, if not moreso and more alien looking. Don't know why they couldn't have just painted them blue, like with Beast. And actually put some clothes on Mystique.

The makeup is better overall for the look they were trying to achieve. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I totally dig the scales (only on Rebecca, though). I think if she were just a blue skinned chick with regular clothes, it wouldn't have as much impact. YMMV.

I always preferred Cyclops to Wolverine (guess I like 'em square!), and while I think James Marsden has talent, playing opposite Hugh Jackman just highlighted that how miscast he was (though it is ironic that in the cartoon, I remember Scott being much taller than Wolverine).  

Original flavor comics Wolverine is about 5'4" making him much shorter than Scott, who is over 6 feet. 

I'm rather meh about Channing Tatum, but I feel like he'd be okay as Gambit if he can nail the Cajun aspect of the character.  I don't think he can be any worse than Taylor Kitsch, but it's no secret that I'm not a Kitsch fan, either. Truly, I can't think of any age-appropriate white male actor that could convey the je ne sais quoi that is Gambit, unless the actor himself has Cajun roots. I assume they are out there, but none come to mind.

Channing as Gambit continues to nauseate me. It will never be OK. I can think of at least a handful of actors better suited. Someone on TWoP mentioned Lee Pace. He would be excellent. If Nikolaj Coster-Waldau were a tad younger, he would nail it. Although, personally his age makes no difference to me. I always imagine Jim Lee's Gambit as being somewhat older than how he's drawn now, and Jim Lee's Gambit was everything. This one might sound weird, but Zachary Levi would even be a good choice. He can be very charming, and if Chris Evans can be both Human Torch and Captain America, then Levi is fair game.

I also seem to remember Cartoon!Jean having problems with simple uses of her power. Then again, I've always hated the wench and the triangle.

She did. A lot! It was especially irritating when she'd let out that orgasmic moan and collapse into Scott's arms. Comics Jean is not weak... I don't know why this shit keeps happening on my TV screen.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 4

The makeup is better overall for the look they were trying to achieve. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I totally dig the scales (only on Rebecca, though). I think if she were just a blue skinned chick with regular clothes, it wouldn't have as much impact. YMMV.

<snip>

Channing as Gambit continues to nauseate me. It will never be OK. I can think of at least a handful of actors better suited. Someone on TWoP mentioned Lee Pace. He would be excellent. If Nikolaj Coster-Waldau were a tad younger, he would nail it. Although, personally his age makes no difference to me. I always imagine Jim Lee's Gambit as being somewhat older than how he's drawn now, and Jim Lee's Gambit was everything. This one might sound weird, but Zachary Levi would even be a good choice. He can be very charming, and if Chris Evans can be both Human Torch and Captain America, then Levi is fair game.

She did. A lot! It was especially irritating when she'd let out that orgasmic moan and collapse into Scott's arms. Comics Jean is not weak... I don't know why this shit keeps happening on my TV screen.

Yeah, it totally is a mileage varies kind of thing, because Mystique wasn't an alien. And I think, the performance could have the same impact.

There aren't enough words to describe my "UGH" over the casting of Gambit. That bland creature is supposed to play the awesome Gambit? Please.

Sure, Jean in the 'toons would collapse, but more often than not, she owned her powers instead of being overwhelmed and scared by them, like Famke's Jean was.

And now, I've discovered I'm a true masochist. I sat down last night and watched X-3 to see if it really was as horrid as I've been saying all these years after only watching it once in the theatre. It was WORSE How Stan Lee, Avi Arad, and all the others from Marvel agreed to produce this CRAPTASTICSHITFEST that was wrong on so many fucking levels, is beyond my comprehension. They kill of 3, that's 3 MAJOR characters!

And this "Phoenix" was nothing but a puppet, who just stood there and got this fugly make-up and annihilated almost everyone because Magneto told her to. Whateverthefuckever.

The change that young Jean was a snotty, arrogant brat who had multiple personality, Juggernaut, who wasn't Xavier's step-brother. UGH.

So Naturally, I fast forwarded Scott's death, as well as Xavier's. And most of the nonsensical "battle" scenes.

I'd totally forgotten that Ellen Page was in this one.

And to cleanse myself of this atrocity, I totally watched the first three episodes of the 90s 'toon, and what a breath of fresh air and good memories before going to bed!

• Love 2

Channing as Gambit continues to nauseate me

I cannot agree with this more! I have nothing against CT, but he is no Gambit. Gambit is my favorite X-Men. I was not happy when I head that CT was cast.

• Love 3

The X-movies franchise has this strange thing that they either get the casting perfect (even against all odds) or do a total flop. The middle ground is - for me - almost non-existant. 

The good in my opinion are: Logan, both Xaviers, both Magnetos, Nightcrawler, old Mistique, Bishop and Colossus (from what I've seen these guys), '70s Moira (even if she's not as she used to be in the comics), both Beasts, 2 out of 3 Strykers.

The middle ground: Bobby and Kitty, maybe the young Mistique if I squint my eyes.

The bad... Is the rest.

I've mentioned in the other thread that my dream Jean is Bridget Regan and i stand firmly by my believes. She is Jean to me.

Now they've trying my patience with Gambit. Hey, in comparison, Taylor Kitsch at least kind of looked the part. Channing could work for a young Scott Sumers... Maybe.

(edited)

I cannot agree with this more! I have nothing against CT, but he is no Gambit. Gambit is my favorite X-Men. I was not happy when I head that CT was cast.

I have nothing against him as a person either. It's not like he's done anything to piss me off, other than trying to play his favorite mutant on screen. Maybe he's cool as hell in real life? I wouldn't know. He's completely wrong for this role, though. The whole fiasco reminds of when Nicolas Cage was trying so hard to get cast as Superman. It's on that level of horrid casting.

The X-movies franchise has this strange thing that they either get the casting perfect (even against all odds) or do a total flop. The middle ground is - for me - almost non-existant. 

The good in my opinion are: Logan, both Xaviers, both Magnetos, Nightcrawler, old Mistique, Bishop and Colossus (from what I've seen these guys), '70s Moira (even if she's not as she used to be in the comics), both Beasts, 2 out of 3 Strykers.

The middle ground: Bobby and Kitty, maybe the young Mistique if I squint my eyes.

The bad... Is the rest.

I almost agree with everything here, but not so much with Moira and Bobby. I think Jackman as Wolverine is a win. It's not entirely his fault that the character is completely overused and whored out. (oops, just noticed you mentioned Logan.)

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 1

I think growing up with the 90s cartoon and having that in my head soured me on the Singer films (X3 does not exist, lalalala).  Especially since most of the 90s series' main characters were, forgive my language, grown ass men and women.

Yeah, I don't really understand why the X-men movies had many of the characters as fucking teenagers. In flashback? Sure. But for the whole movie? Not interested. Add in Anna Paquin? Hell the fuck no. Makes my teeth itch. Her voice, her face...everything. I cannot abide Rogue in the movies which is a fucking travesty because Paquin's mopey whiner is not the kickass Southern belle I know from the cartoon and the few comics I've read.

Halle Berry is, IMO, horribly miscast as the awesome Storm. She's far too delicate looking for my tastes. I remember reading, WAY back in the day when it was mentioned that X-men would be made into a movie and someone somewhere floated Angela Bassett for Storm. I didn't know much about the actress but by God, did she look the part to me. I think Marsden does a good version of boyscout Cyclops but I don't think he has any damned chemistry with Famke, which is a problem.

These missteps are only more glaring when compared to the casting they got right (look the part, can act, great chemistry with others): Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman etc.

I think the problem of casting big stars just because they are big stars, instead of people who look the part (and can act) continues even now, what with CT being cast as Gambit. I remember waaay back in the day, someone took a screencap of a scene with of Josh Holloway from LOST. The person put that screencap side by side with an image of Gambit and my jaw dropped. It was an excellent match. He's a Georgia boy (IIRC), an adult, muscled without being a bear, and demonstrated a fuckton of chemistry with everyone he shared the screen with (IMO). I think he'd had been a great Gambit. Instead I get Channing Fucking Tatum. And I feel terrible because, by all accounts, he's a lovely man, and I have nothing against him at all. I just cannot fathom him as Gambit.

I also hated the liberties X3 took with the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga. I may be wrong to assume that the cartoon was true to the comics, but wasn't the Phoenix some kind of alien life-form that possessed Jean Grey, initially with good intentions, but then got addicted to human emotions and such and then refused to leave? Not some fucking multiple personality of hers, created by Xavier digging around in her head. And you're trying to tell me that Magneto, who was so desperate to get his hands on her power in X3, didn't give a fuck about her in the first two X-men movies, despite knowing her about strength for the last 15 or so years? Really? He went after teen Rogue instead of "Jean I can fuck up EVERYTHING, bitches!" Grey? Pfft.

• Love 2

NoWillToResist, I just want to fucking marry your post and have its babies!

And yes, the whole Dark Phoenix Saga was because Jean, Logan, Storm, and I forget who else, went out to space for something, and Jean, by using her power got sucked in or whatever, and the Phoenix, who was the Guardian of the Shi're Crystal, took over her body and saved her. It had never possessed human emotions before and loved it and didn't want to leave Jean's body.

I will say, that at least in the 90's toon, Cyclops wasn't a whiny baby boy about Jean's "death" like he was in X-3 and even in that horrid Nik 'toon Wolverine and the X-Men. He grieved, yes. But he sucked it up and continued to be the leader that he was.

I totally would have loved Angela Basset as Storm. She looks the part and she sure as FUCK would have done justice to the character. 

I also agree about casting unknowns. Hugh Jackman was NOT a big star when he was cast for this role. And I will forever be grateful to Tom Cruise for that--running behind for whatever reason in completing Mission Impossible II, which prevented Dougray Scott from playing Wolverine/Logan.

In addition to getting Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine, right, the casting for Nightcrawler was also very good.

I will admit, that I refused to go see First Class when I first heard who was going to be in it, because my head just exploded. No, no, no! it screamed. Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby and Warren were Xavier's first students! Not these people I'd never heard of.

And another thing I forgot to mention--Logan not knowing who Sabertooth was in X-1, when they fucking worked together in Canada or wherever and used to be friends...that is assuming what the 90s toon told me in Deadly Reunions is true to the comics. BAH!

• Love 1
Yeah, I don't really understand why the X-men movies had many of the characters as fucking teenagers. In flashback? Sure. But for the whole movie? Not interested.

I assumed it was to appeal to that coveted YA demographic.  Now, forgive me for a moment while I indulge in nostalgia, but when I was a wee lass, many of the cartoons I enjoyed actually had ADULT main characters, X-Men included.  Yet, in the recent live action films, and in the later X-men cartoons, they love the younger characters.  I couldn't care less about teenage Rogue, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, etc.  I also didn't care about the younger versions of the mutants in First Class.  The friendship between Xavier and Eric saved the film for me because, in addition to the great chemistry between McAvoy and Fassbender, I just preferred the adults. 

I like Rose Byrne as Moira, though I don't know how true she was to the comics. But hey, another adult.   

I've read/heard Angela Bassett as a recommendation for a great Storm for years, and I'll be the lone voice of dissent: I've never been on board with it.  I like her, but not as Storm.  One, beautiful as she is, she was several years older than I'd envision Storm at the time of the first movie.  Two, I don't think she would have nailed the accent, either.  Three, she's almost too...hardass for Storm. 

We've only been introduced to her, but I think Lupita Nyong'o would be a much better fit.  Now, at least - she would have been too young back then.  To me, she could convey the strength AND grace of Storm, and no worries on an accent.   

I remember waaay back in the day, someone took a screencap of a scene with of Josh Holloway from LOST. The person put that screencap side by side with an image of Gambit and my jaw dropped. It was an excellent match.

I never saw the screencap (I must google!), but his name is the first one I've heard or read that rings true as a great match for Gambit.  Oh, what might have been.  He's in his 40s, but I think he could pull off being in his 30s believably.  One problem with Kitsch and Tatum for me is they have the "overgrown, smug frat guy" look to me.   

I think Marsden does a good version of boyscout Cyclops but I don't think he has any damned chemistry with Famke, which is a problem.

True, though for me, I also thought Hugh overpowered James, and not just physically.  James is a bit wee for the part, to me.

I don't know whatever happened to Dougray Scott, but he wouldn't have been a good fit for Wolverine, either.

That accent was all over the place. She attempts to speak with it early on in the film (not sure what order these clips were shot in), but in the Liberty Island scene she has absolutely no accent whatsoever. Also, why is she always so damned scared looking? I can never get over how this character is nothing at all like the Storm from the comics I grew up with. Halle's acting in these films is laughably bad. I don't care if she won that damned Oscar. If you can't consistently deliver good performances, you aren't that good. 

Around the time Halle Berry won the Oscar, there was a recent X-Men movie I think. I was perplexed when she won. Granted, it wasn't for X-Men and I haven't seen Monster's Ball, but she was bad in these movies. I remember that stupid accent too and she just seemed annoyed to be on set or in the movies. Storm is a great character and she wasted it.

In an alternate universe, I could maybe see Lupita Nyong'o as Storm. At least her accent and vocals are correct.

I didn't care for Jean in the movies either. I liked the Phoenix character in the book because she was like anti-love triangle and also cool, but Jean's waffling between the men was irksome.

I never saw the screencap (I must google!), but his name is the first one I've heard or read that rings true as a great match for Gambit.  Oh, what might have been.  He's in his 40s, but I think he could pull off being in his 30s believably.  One problem with Kitsch and Tatum for me is they have the "overgrown, smug frat guy" look to me.   

There was that rumor floating around (I think this is when X3 was being filmed) that they approached Holloway for Gambit, but he couldn't make it fit with his Lost schedule. Probably pure BS, but he would have been an amazing Gambit.

And another thing I forgot to mention--Logan not knowing who Sabertooth was in X-1, when they fucking worked together in Canada or wherever and used to be friends...that is assuming what the 90s toon told me in Deadly Reunions is true to the comics. BAH!

I loathed X1 Sabertooth! Give me Liev Schreiber any day over that doofus. I thought he was the only truly good thing in Wolverine: Origins.

I loathed X1 Sabertooth! Give me Liev Schreiber any day over that doofus. I thought he was the only truly good thing in Wolverine: Origins.

No argument there. All that Sabretooth did was growl and squint.  I agree, that Schreiber was the only good thing about Origins, even if I rolled my eyes SO hard that they were supposed to be brothers.

But my point was that they had history and were enemies and knew each other. It's like in the first one, no one knew anything about anyone.

I've never thought of Angela Basset as a hard ass.  And it's really weird, but in the 'toon (sorry that I keep going back to that well, but it's the only thing that gave Storm a voice), Storm had a Europeanish accent, even though she was supposed to be from, shoot, I can't remember which country in Africa. So I don't think the accent would be that difficult to do. Hell, The Brit accent is one of the easiest and we all saw how Kevin Costner fucked that up in his stint as Robin Hood!

This isn't the image I saw, but someone compared a bunch of shots of Holloway with Gambit here.

I can't find the one picture I referred to and that upsets me because it was perfection. :)

I know a lot of people hate on Taylor Kitsch, but I thought he at least looked the part and, IMO, the boy had charm/charisma to spare, so I felt that it could have worked. Too bad he was barely in the Wolverine movie. With a better script (and no dumb-ass hat and be-jeweled pimp cane), I think it would have be fine.

In addition to getting Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine, right, the casting for Nightcrawler was also very good.

Oh, I had forgotten about Alan Cumming, yes, he was FANTASTIC!!! So soulful. Awesome performance.

I assumed it was to appeal to that coveted YA demographic.  Now, forgive me for a moment while I indulge in nostalgia, but when I was a wee lass, many of the cartoons I enjoyed actually had ADULT main characters, X-Men included.  Yet, in the recent live action films, and in the later X-men cartoons, they love the younger characters.  I couldn't care less about teenage Rogue, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, etc.  I also didn't care about the younger versions of the mutants in First Class.  The friendship between Xavier and Eric saved the film for me because, in addition to the great chemistry between McAvoy and Fassbender, I just preferred the adults.

I think studios forgot one key issue about X-men needing young people to attract a larger audience: this is not some adult-themed, art-house, snooze-fest. IT'S A FANTASY/SCI-FI MOVIE ABOUT MUTANTS; people who can fly, turn into other people, create fire, and control the weather and whatnot. I don't know any kid who would be all "pshaw, it's about a bunch of ADULTS. Not interested". Just, fuck off, studios. God. There are universal elements of prejudice,being bullied, wondering how to fit in (and if you should), being yourself, finding inner strength, standing up for yourself, finding friends and making your own kind of family, seeking comfort from others, trying to do good things in this crazy world etc. You don't need the movie to star kids in order for kids to care about it. See: Marvel's The Avengers, for reference.

We've only been introduced to her, but I think Lupita Nyong'o would be a much better fit.  Now, at least - she would have been too young back then.  To me, she could convey the strength AND grace of Storm, and no worries on an accent.

Oooh, I like it. But, I've always had the (perhaps incorrect?) impression that she's short whereas I've always thought Storm was tall.

Hopefully, considering the astronomical success of Marvel's other superhero movies - WHICH FEATURE ADULTS - we can movie away from Mutant Valley High and get on to the (IMO) more interesting stuff...

• Love 1

I probably should bone up on my Rogue history before posting this question here, but weren't her powers Strength and not being able to touch people? And that she got just the flying ability when she drained Miss Marvel?

Because in this universe, all we got was her not being able to touch. I saw none of the strength that was portrayed in the 'toons.

(edited)

I know this is not going to happen any time soon, but I'm already ready for a reboot of the X-Men franchise (doubtful FOX will ever let it go back to Marvel, tho).

So far there have been five (five!) movies with the same basic theme : Frenemies : The Story of Xavier and Magneto. And it always comes down to four or five popular actors getting most of the screen time and dialogue. 

I'd like a clean slate with the X-Men mutants, too. Having read the comics, it's irritating to see the movies give characters powers that really make no sense - like Kitty Pryde's new telepathic time travel powers in DoFP. It was funny (in a sad way) seeing all the press release hype and interviews with the actors playing Colossus, Ice Man, Blink, Bishop, etc -- then watching the movie to discover they have about 2 minutes of screen time, total. At least the First Class movie gave the student mutants more to do and showed their personalities.

And lastly, they need to just let Bryan Singer go, or shift him to the background. It's just icky - and yeah, there's the Woody Allen and Roman Polanski precedent -- but you can't google a crap-load of inappropriate looking pictures of them or easily find lots of stories about their 'barely-legal' naked pool parties. When your defense is that you had  your people check ID's to make sure you weren't going to break the law, well, that's damning in itself. And why didn't *any* of Singer's A-List actor friends jump to his defense in the media? Did Hugh Jackman or Ian McKellen say anything? At all? 

It's just not a good situation, and we know that Matthew Vaughn is sort of the originator of the 'new' version of the X-Men.

X-Men, like the Avengers, is now just a franchise machine that will roll along until it manages to kill itself by becoming un-watchable  - like the Tim Burton Batman movies. Or the Christopher Reeves Superman movies. Or the original Star Trek movies. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha

I probably should bone up on my Rogue history before posting this question here, but weren't her powers Strength and not being able to touch people? And that she got just the flying ability when she drained Miss Marvel?

Because in this universe, all we got was her not being able to touch. I saw none of the strength that was portrayed in the 'toons.

Nope, in the comics her one real power is draining people's powers/memories. She got the super strength and flight from Miss Marvel.

Angela Bassett is all of 5'4, so if height is an issue, she's no more a match than Halle or Lupita.  Storm is tall, from what I remember, pretty close to six feet.

You don't need the movie to star kids in order for kids to care about it. See: Marvel's The Avengers, for reference.

Agreed, on all counts.

And it's really weird, but in the 'toon (sorry that I keep going back to that well, but it's the only thing that gave Storm a voice), Storm had a Europeanish accent, even though she was supposed to be from, shoot, I can't remember which country in Africa.

Storm's mother was Kenyan, but she came of age in Egypt. I think so, because that's where she first met Xavier.

I know a lot of people hate on Taylor Kitsch, but I thought he at least looked the part and, IMO, the boy had charm/charisma to spare, so I felt that it could have worked.

I'm the only one I know that sees no appeal in Kitsch (and yes, I watched Friday Night Lights).  He headlined two expensive movies that bombed, but in truth, I really don't think it had to do with him.  I suspect John Carter and Battleship wouldn't have done well anyway, just because the public interest just wasn't there. Unfortunately, he was the easy scapegoat as the lead.  That's about as positive as I can get for Taylor, heh.    

And lastly, they need to just let Bryan Singer go, or shift him to the background. It's just icky - and yeah, there's the Woody Allen and Roman Polanski precedent -- but you can't google a crap-load of inappropriate looking pictures of them or easily find lots of stories about their 'barely-legal' naked pool parties.

There is that, but for me, I just wasn't all that impressed with his films.  Some key casting is what makes his films work to me, rather than the narrative or direction. I've not followed the story of the allegations much, but I don't recall any of the stars going on record to defend Singer's proclivities.  But then, I've read rumors that Ian McKellen is a bit notorious in his own right, so who knows. 

Angela Bassett is all of 5'4, so if height is an issue, she's no more a match than Halle or Lupita.  Storm is tall, from what I remember, pretty close to six feet.

Not to beat this dead horse, but Wolverine is supposed to be 5'3" or 5'4", and Jackman is 6'2" (insert winkie smile)

Wow. I always had the impression that Angela Bassett was tall. Huh. Weird.

I know this is not going to happen any time soon, but I'm already ready for a reboot of the X-Men franchise (doubtful FOX will ever let it go back to Marvel, tho).

So far there have been five (five!) movies with the same basic theme : Frenemies : The Story of Xavier and Magneto. And it always comes down to four or five popular actors getting most of the screen time and dialogue.

To be completely honest, and with all due love and respect to Hugh Jackman, I'm tired of Wolverine. I didn't even bother with the latest Wolverine movie. I only watched the first one because Gambit was going to be in it (had I know he had, like, 5 minutes of screen-time, I might not have bothered).

I started tuning out of the cartoon when I began to feel that every other damned episode was Wolverine centric (and often so Wolvie-centric that the other characters didn't even appear). I signed up to watch X-MEN, not Wolverine. Seems the movies are going the same way. The first one was all about Wolverine being introduced to the X-men, the second one (IIRC) was about him finding info about his past, and the third featured him and his wuv for Jean Grey. I exaggerate slightly for effect, but you get where I'm going with this.

The reboot, which featured Xavier and Magneto as young men, even featured a cameo with him, because God forbid you have an X-men movie without him making an appearance. And then they 'course correct' the sequel, making the fate of all mutant-kind rest on Wolver-fucking-ine and his super-special hairy ass. Argh!

Like, Jesus Christ, he has his own spin-off movies!! Can the fucking X-MEN movies actually give more than a handful of seconds to, you know, OTHER X-MEN????

• Love 5

I guess I'm just, well, I don't know the word for it. But I'll take Jackman any time he appears in the series. However, that said, I, too, would like to see more X-Men, different characters, and movies that are not centered on Logan/Wolverine.  And as for Days, I'd say that movie was very Mysitque-centric, as EVERYYYYYYTHING depended on making sure she didn't kill, and it was all so very important that Mystique be brought around. Mystique! Mystique!Mystique!!!

BAH!

And I will freely admit, my dislike for Lawrence is probably coloring my attitude.

I'd like to see Sinister...Pyslocke, more of Cyclops, because sorry, there wasn't enough of him and with a better actor, please. And hey, about Miss Marvel? And let's see how Rogue steals her powers?

• Love 3
(edited)
Like, Jesus Christ, he has his own spin-off movies!! Can the fucking X-MEN movies actually give more than a handful of seconds to, you know, OTHER X-MEN????

I understand.  I'm over Wolverine as well, and it's partially why I never thought much of the original trilogy, and I wasn't interested in DOFP.   He and Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, who was another of those serious miscasts, IMO. I've just never found the character all that interesting.  I mean, I objectively appreciate how ripped Hugh gets for the role, because "DAMMMMMNNNNNN!" and "Yes, please," but frankly, he doesn't have to be Wolverine for that to happen, heh.  Somebody cast him as a non-mutant lead in an action movie, stat.  Swordfish was almost 15 years ago, and Halle was more nekkid than he was.

I'd like to see Sinister...Pyslocke, more of Cyclops, because sorry, there wasn't enough of him and with a better actor, please. And hey, about Miss Marvel? And let's see how Rogue steals her powers?

Yes, agreed.

Edited by ribboninthesky1

I understand.  I'm over Wolverine as well, and it's partially why I never thought much of the original trilogy, and I wasn't interested in DOFP.   He and Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, who was another of those serious miscasts, IMO. I've just never found the character all that interesting. 

I never saw the Wolverine movie because I'm not that interested in him either. I was more interested in the cartoon show and comic book Wolverine though because I felt that medium really explored his backstory more. Nothing against Hugh Jackman who does have charisma, I just didn't care enough about movie Wolverine. He is over used.

As someone who actually likes Lawrence in some of her roles, I agree that she was miscast in this franchise. I don't care about Mystique either and think she was one of the weakest things about the reboot. The character was petulant in the first movie and I didn't feel for her. Furthermore, whenever she had scenes with McAvoy or Fassbender, she seemed really inexperienced. In the scene with Fassy, I just felt Lawrence was out of her depth. I think she can act, but she was just weak in that against more experienced actors.

No argument there. All that Sabretooth did was growl and squint.  I agree, that Schreiber was the only good thing about Origins, even if I rolled my eyes SO hard that they were supposed to be brothers.

But my point was that they had history and were enemies and knew each other. It's like in the first one, no one knew anything about anyone.

Yeah. It bothered me, too. I mean, Wolverine had the amnesia thing going on, but Sabertooth should have acknowledged in some way that he knew him. Then again, that might have required dialogue from Tyler Mane, who was awful.

DoFP could have had Rogue already powered up in the future, kicking all kinds of ass, and we wouldn't even need an explanation, because: A.) If Kitty suddenly had a new power, then why not Rogue? And B.) Any fans of the comic would already know how she got those powers, and that would be cool as shit to finally see. God forbid movie Rogue get a little action! Yet another lame misuse of the character. I understand that Paquin filmed additional scenes that were cut, but how many fans would rather see her fighting with the team, instead of being rescued (again) and using Kitty's power? For shame.

I mean, I objectively appreciate how ripped Hugh gets for the role, because "DAMMMMMNNNNNN!" and "Yes, please," but frankly, he doesn't have to be Wolverine for that to happen, heh.  Somebody cast him as a non-mutant lead in an action movie, stat.  Swordfish was almost 15 years ago, and Halle was more nekkid than he was.

I'm not gonna knock Hugh's dedication to bringing that comic physique to life on screen, but his body never bothered me in X1. Maybe I'm in the minority? I just feel like all that insane bulking up isn't that necessary as long as he's hitting the right notes with the character, and he usually is. I've read in interviews that he hates working out, too. IMO, he looked best in X2. He was big, but he wasn't crazy ripped like in DoFP.

• Love 2
I'm not gonna knock Hugh's dedication to bringing that comic physique to life on screen, but his body never bothered me in X1. Maybe I'm in the minority? I just feel like all that insane bulking up isn't that necessary as long as he's hitting the right notes with the character, and he usually is. I've read in interviews that he hates working out, too. IMO, he looked best in X2. He was big, but he wasn't crazy ripped like in DoFP.

To be clear: I wasn't knocking Hugh's physique and it didn't bother me in the X-Men trilogy. I've not seen DOFP, or the Wolverine movies. I distinctly remember Hugh in a recent interview talking about how he prefers a little bulk, because otherwise he feels he's too skinny (the Graham Norton show? I think?).  So either he's changed his view on working out, or he can't make up his mind, heh.      

In any case, I appreciate what he brings to the role and good for him that it brought him in the mainstream, but it's never made me care much about Wolverine as a character. 

The funny thing is that the complaints lodged at the movie franchise are similar to the ones lodged at the comics franchise. Especially the one about Wolverine being shoved into everything.  Somehow the guy has time for being in the X-Men, having solo adventures, and being an Avenger as well.  But there's also creators falling in love with characters to the detriment of the full cast...  and logic and good writing. (Chris Claremont with Sage, Joss Whedon with Kitty Pryde)  There are bad storylines that have to get retconned out of existence.  The teen luv soap opera stuff is baked into the DNA of the series, so much so that if characters age out of that role they have to invent new youngsters to have those experiences all over again (struggling with powers, adolescent love affairs, taking on the mantleship of adulthood) with the former students now as their teachers.

So maybe it's not a bug so much as a feature.

• Love 2

To be clear: I wasn't knocking Hugh's physique and it didn't bother me in the X-Men trilogy. I've not seen DOFP, or the Wolverine movies. I distinctly remember Hugh in a recent interview talking about how he prefers a little bulk, because otherwise he feels he's too skinny (the Graham Norton show? I think?).  So either he's changed his view on working out, or he can't make up his mind, heh.      

In any case, I appreciate what he brings to the role and good for him that it brought him in the mainstream, but it's never made me care much about Wolverine as a character. 

I understood you perfectly. I was just stating my own personal preference, but I feel like the majority of Wolverine fans most likely disagree with me.

The funny thing is that the complaints lodged at the movie franchise are similar to the ones lodged at the comics franchise. Especially the one about Wolverine being shoved into everything.  Somehow the guy has time for being in the X-Men, having solo adventures, and being an Avenger as well.

Ah, the good old days of my youth, when Wolverine was an X-Man and had a solo book, and that was it. A better time.

The funny thing is that the complaints lodged at the movie franchise are similar to the ones lodged at the comics franchise. Especially the one about Wolverine being shoved into everything.  Somehow the guy has time for being in the X-Men, having solo adventures, and being an Avenger as well.  But there's also creators falling in love with characters to the detriment of the full cast...  and logic and good writing. (Chris Claremont with Sage, Joss Whedon with Kitty Pryde)  There are bad storylines that have to get retconned out of existence.  The teen luv soap opera stuff is baked into the DNA of the series, so much so that if characters age out of that role they have to invent new youngsters to have those experiences all over again (struggling with powers, adolescent love affairs, taking on the mantleship of adulthood) with the former students now as their teachers.

So maybe it's not a bug so much as a feature.

I don't know much about the comics, but for all intents and purposes, Wolverine is the face of the film franchise, and most of the viewing public seems fine with that.  If he wasn't so popular, I doubt he would be included as much.  Seems deeper than just writers preferring him.

• Love 1

I don't think Wolverine is as popular as the writers think he is. How many other fictional characters have we seen draw damn near X-Pac heat from the audience and still suck up screentime? One of my coworkers really liked Wolverine and I... Well, let's just say I didn't. :)

I'm not gonna knock Hugh's dedication to bringing that comic physique to life on screen, but his body never bothered me in X1. Maybe I'm in the minority? I just feel like all that insane bulking up isn't that necessary as long as he's hitting the right notes with the character, and he usually is.

Minority of two! :)

On our X-men rewatch, I was pleasantly surprised to see Hugh nicely buff and muscled but not...grossly muscled which, IMO, is where he's at these days. Honest to God, in DOFP, when he woke up in the past in that chick's bed, I thought he was wearing a wrinkly tan coloured t-shirt. It was only when he fully sat up that I realized it was his skin and the lines I thought were wrinkles in the shirt were HIS VEINS ALL BULGED OUT. Like, ew. No. Just...no. That is way too fucking much. Dial it back, dude. Dial it back. I literally recoiled from the screen.

I will also acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique does nothing for me. She just seems very...bland. I found myself really enjoying Mystique during our re-watch. I thought Rebecca Romijn did a great job. Whoever they got to play super young Mystique though (in the reboots...the one who broke into Charles' home to find food) was good too. She was utterly adorable.

• Love 3

Minority of two! :)

On our X-men rewatch, I was pleasantly surprised to see Hugh nicely buff and muscled but not...grossly muscled which, IMO, is where he's at these days. Honest to God, in DOFP, when he woke up in the past in that chick's bed, I thought he was wearing a wrinkly tan coloured t-shirt. It was only when he fully sat up that I realized it was his skin and the lines I thought were wrinkles in the shirt were HIS VEINS ALL BULGED OUT. Like, ew. No. Just...no. That is way too fucking much. Dial it back, dude. Dial it back. I literally recoiled from the screen.

I will also acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique does nothing for me. She just seems very...bland. I found myself really enjoying Mystique during our re-watch. I thought Rebecca Romijn did a great job. Whoever they got to play super young Mystique though (in the reboots...the one who broke into Charles' home to find food) was good too. She was utterly adorable.

Yeah, the veins popping out kind of disturbs me, but I think it's an age-related issue? A lot of older people who lift weights have that vein thing going on. I will say that the ass shot was glorious, though. I believe I said "Thank you, Jesus!" aloud in the theater before I could stop myself.

I rewatched First Class last night and JLaw is just awful. I'm sorry, but I hate her Mystique --HATE.

Yeah, the veins popping out kind of disturbs me, but I think it's an age-related issue? A lot of older people who lift weights have that vein thing going on. I will say that the ass shot was glorious, though. I believe I said "Thank you, Jesus!" aloud in the theater before I could stop myself.

I rewatched First Class last night and JLaw is just awful. I'm sorry, but I hate her Mystique --HATE.

I think I read or rather, saw in one of the interviews, that the bulking up of Wolverine to show the veins was intentional. Because I do recall that even in The Wolverine, he wasn't so...hulky. Or was it for Origins that they wanted the veins a poppin'? I can't recall.

Oh let me join you in your hate for Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique. Just so unbelievable. Ugh.

And I'm a weak, weak, weak person. After watching Days of Future Past again last night, I come home and rewatch Origins, because Jackman is just so....words fail me.

My eyes rolled so hard listening to the stupid director saying that "we" know that Wolverine and Sabertooth hate each other, but we don't know why, so making them half brothers, provides that reason or more drama or whatever crap he was spouting. No, you ass, Wolverine hates Creed because, (and I'm going off the story that I saw in the 'toon) Sabertooth killed friends of Wolverine's and expected Wolverine to be okay with it or something.  They used to be friends, until Sabertooth betrayed him in the worst way. They could have used that. But they didn't. Blergh.

And now I think I will do a marathon of the 'toon to cleanse my brain of everything that was wrong in Origins.

I've got no problem with Channing Tatum playing Gambit because he's not only from the South, he can actually act, as Stop-Loss and A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints proved. That's the beauty of independent films: they give actors a chance to flex their acting muscles in ways that blockbusters can't. Case in point: A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints, in which Tatum not only gave IMO a great performance, he did it with a Brooklyn accent. Josh Holloway can act, but since his last TV show Intelligence was cancelled after less than a season, Marvel would probably think he's not worth the risk. As for Zachary Levi, he's great too, but he's part of the Thor universe. Chris Evans may have played two roles in the Marvel 'verse, but Johnny Storm was a superhero, not the superhero's best friend and Lee Pace is probably too busy with his new AMC show Halt & Catch Fire to play Gambit, so for all intents and purposes, he's out too. Besides acting, script and direction are key. If those are good, then chances are the performance will be too, so I'm willing to give Channing Tatum a chance.

I've also got no problem with Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. Wolverine is not only one of the most popular characters in the Marvel 'verse, he's also arguably the most popular X-Man.  While X-3 and Origins sucked, The Wolverine, his cameo in X-Men: First Class and his work in DoFP in general (and his ass in particular) made up for them.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Jackman as Wolverine is a win. It's not entirely his fault that the character is completely overused and whored out. (oops, just noticed you mentioned Logan.)

I adore Hugh Jackman, but the blatant whoring of Wolverine has

turned me off from this franchise. After how great First Class

was,I hoped that crew would get a stand alone trilogy.

Once Singer slinked back in, my worst fear was realized.

The "Olds" were dragged back in and more Wolverine

pimping.  No thanks!       

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba

I've also got no problem with Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. Wolverine is not only one of the most popular characters in the Marvel 'verse, he's also arguably the most popular X-Man.  While X-3 and Origins sucked, The Wolverine, his cameo in X-Men: First Class and his work in DoFP in general (and his ass in particular) made up for them.

You and me, DollEyes, let's have us a drink! I don't care if Jackman's Wolverine is pimped out or "whored out" (I don't really like that phrase, but whatever), as long as I can get to see Hugh Jackman in the role? I'm happy. He, along with Stewart, McKellan, and Cumming were just perfect casting.  And Jackman really brought Logan/Wolverine to real life for me. Cal Dodd, who voiced him in the 'toon, did that for me, in the, well, toon.

It's like I posted above, as bad as Origins is, Hugh's performance? And the way he looks, the rage, grief, happiness...makes up for it.

• Love 1
(edited)

My eyes rolled so hard listening to the stupid director saying that "we" know that Wolverine and Sabertooth hate each other, but we don't know why, so making them half brothers, provides that reason or more drama or whatever crap he was spouting. No, you ass, Wolverine hates Creed because, (and I'm going off the story that I saw in the 'toon) Sabertooth killed friends of Wolverine's and expected Wolverine to be okay with it or something.  They used to be friends, until Sabertooth betrayed him in the worst way. They could have used that. But they didn't. Blergh.

That brother shit was dumb. I was living for Liev as Sabertooth, though. I wish that film had a decent script and wasn't so... cringeworthy. If Sabertooth ever comes back (seems unlikely) they'll probably cast someone else, and that would make me very sad.

I've got no problem with Channing Tatum playing Gambit because he's not only from the South, he can actually act, as Stop-Loss and A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints proved. That's the beauty of independent films: they give actors a chance to flex their acting muscles in ways that blockbusters can't. Case in point: A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints, in which Tatum not only gave IMO a great performance, he did it with a Brooklyn accent. 

Different strokes for different folks and all that. I've always found him very average at best and lacking charisma. I just wish they would cast an unknown, because I think casting big, well established stars in these roles does a disservice to the character. They don't actually go out and look for the right actor for the role; they just cast Mr. Right Now. Granted, there's a reason he's a big star, he obviously has a huge fanbase of people who dig him. I can't argue that, but I don't think Fox is casting him because he's the perfect Gambit. I believe they're casting him because they see dollar signs. He probably didn't even have to audition for the role.

About his being from the south: That doesn't win him any points from me. I'm a legit Cajun. It's a totally different culture. Getting the accent right would be every bit as hard for him as it would be for someone from England. It's tricky as hell to get right and sounds nothing like the average southern accent.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
(edited)

So if anyone has two hours to spare, here's an interview with Simon Kinberg. It's good stuff. Some stuff: the movie only had a year to film, which just seems very tight to me. Still, it worked. Apparently Cable was considered for going back in time, but then he realised he could just reuse an existing character. One plan to rescue Magneto was to drop Juggernaut from a plane, with Wolverine holding on to him. Not sure why Wolverine was needed in that plan. The Weapon X program happened, just in a different way from originally. Maybe I'm just tired, but haf the stuff I've forgotten already. Maybe I'll relisten sometime.

Edited by Joe

I'm a legit Cajun. It's a totally different culture. Getting the accent right would be every bit as hard for him as it would be for someone from England. It's tricky as hell to get right and sounds nothing like the average southern accent.

My youngest & I were talking about this very thing yesterday. She recently watched all the X-men movies with me & enjoyed Gambit in the brief glimpse we got in Origins. She was reading info about casting & talked to me about if Tatum could do Gambit justice. She expressed concern because Tatum looks "puffy" in all the 22 Jump Street ads & she believes Gambit should not be puffy. I don't know why but I found that amusing.
  • Love 1

She expressed concern because Tatum looks "puffy" in all the 22 Jump Street ads & she believes Gambit should not be puffy. I don't know why but I found that amusing.

It sounds funny, but I do think it's an accurate description. I look at Channing Tatum and do not see Gambit. I would love to be wrong, but I just don't trust that casting.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm willing to give Tatum a chance. Gambit is very, very important to me but I'll give it a chance. There have been other casting questions that have turned out wonderfully... and others not so wonderfully.

I do think it's time to give Wolverine a rest. I get that he's recognizable and popular even if he's so over-saturated it's not even funny. The X-Men, however, have always been about more than Wolverine. They've been about more than just one character. In their heyday, they were a family... a family that shifted and changed. The roles change, characters go on sabbatical, they get injured, they retire, they come back. I mean when I first started reading the comics (in 1990) they had just brought all the X-Men back together after decades of being apart. (Not including Excalibur who were still hanging out on the British Isles.) But before that... I mean, you go from the Original 5; to the 2nd Genesis team; the Phoenix team; the post-Dark Phoenix team; Rogue gets added after Days of Future Past; the Mutant Massacre changes the team significantly; then they're the underground/criminal team; Fall of the Mutants leads to the Australian Outback team which is a fairly sturdy line up until the Seige Perilous story that scatters everyone to the four winds only to be brought back together (with new players) for X-Tinction Agenda then the Shi'ar/Skrull storyline that brings Professor Xavier back THEN the Muir Island Saga which brought everyone back to where I started reading (I have spent a lot of time and money on back issues over the years) when everyone was in the newly rebuilt mansion again.

You can say a lot about Chris Claremont but he was the absolute driving force for a good twenty years of story for the X-Men and he was the king of the slow burn sideplot that burst into a major storyline. What's more, his stories were layered. It's all well and good to talk about doing the Dark Phoenix story but you can't tell that story without the stuff that leads up to it... you have to give a shit about Jean, you have to see what becoming Phoenix was all about first -- that she was an enormous power for GOOD... you have to give a shit about her relationship with Scott, with Charles... I'm sorry but Logan's crush means diddly squat in the long run there. It was never a major plot in that story. Ever. Logan crushed hard on Jean. She was mildly attracted to him but she loved. Scott. And then, you've got the corruption of Phoenix which leads to Dark Phoenix and all that that entailed. It mattered because Jean mattered and it wasn't fucking Logan who pulled the trigger like in stupid X3. It was JEAN.

But they'd never tell that story these days anyway, not with Emma Frost as the current sweetheart of the X-Men franchise.

I enjoyed the movie DOFP but despite my Logan fatigue I understand why they went with him rather than Kitty. Kitty's shift in the books mattered because she was this 13 year old girl who was scared of Nightcrawler and just learning to use her powers and suddenly she's speaking with a different voice, excited to see Nightcrawler because he'd been dead for years in her future and telling the X-Men of this horrible future.

Plus, we can't have them introduce Rachel Summers, the daughter of Phoenix and Cyclops. Not when there's hunky Logan and his man pain over Jean! That's the thing I always loved about the X-Men; how many layers there were. The characterization and the storylines had depth.

And, no, I can't forgive the movies for taking Rogue, a brash bruiser with fire and heart to spare and turning her into a whiny teen girl who's mutant power seemed to be audibly swallowing.

I gave up on Rogue/Gambit being handled well years ago. My crack pairing that will never happen is Gambit/Jean. Shut up and leave me to my fanfiction!!

As for Storm... Laverne Cox would be an AMAZING Ororo.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 4

It boggles my mind that the stupid people in charge of casting just won't go and look for some unknown actor or actress who would fit the part, instead of going for a big name. Have they forgotten, that Hugh Jackman wasn't this huge, money making star when they cast him as Logan/Wolverine? I for sure didn't know who the hell he was.  I knew who Patrick Stewart was; Ian McKellan; Halle, Marsden, and yuck, even Famke, from her atrocious, laughable character in that James Bond movie.

They've ruined Rogue beyond recognition that I know I'll never get my Gambit/Rogue. Because next to Jean and Scott, they were my favorite couple.

Oh, and even though this doesn't matter, since Days pretty much annihilated X3, but the "cure" was just temporary. When I was watching all the movies over the weekend, Magneto's power came back at the end. So, even though Rogue got the cure, it probably didn't last very long, and I could have sworn I saw her wearing black gloves in Days at the end.

And not for nothing, and I admit I don't know how it was in the comics, and just rewatching the 'toons, I just realized: Banshee and Moira were engaged! And they had him as a surly teenager, while Moira was not, in First Class! And then they killed him offscreen!  As much as I loathe the movie that never happened, I did like that that movie's Moira was a doctor at least.

And I'm clearly thinking too much about these characters and movies.

• Love 1
ave they forgotten, that Hugh Jackman wasn't this huge, money making star when they cast him as Logan/Wolverine? I for sure didn't know who the hell he was.

Had anyone heard of Chris Hemsworth before they cast him as Thor? Had anyone heard of Tom Hiddleston before he got Loki? Cast the part; not the name.

That being said... there simply was no way they could NOT use Patrick Stewart as Charles. Everything else was up in the air but Patrick Stewart not being Charles Xavier... no one in the fandom would have shown up if that were the case.

I was never involved with the Avengers the way I was with X-Men. X-Men and the communities surrounding it in the 90s affected my real life, I have decades long relationships that exist because of the X-Men so they remain extremely important to me. But I've loved what they've done with the Avengers and I really wish that they'd take some time and devote it to the various X-characters. Storm, I think, is such an easy ticket as far as story goes but I just don't see Hollywood going for that, unfortunately.

I mean, can you imagine Laverne Cox being cast... and maybe they do the whole storyline that introduces the Morlocks? Where Ororo is the leader of the X-Men who is deeply devoted to the preservation of life and due to her own struggles in her role in the X-men and protecting those she leads, is forced into a one on one duel with Callisto to take control of the Morlocks and save her team? Can you imagine them having the balls to have, not just a woman of color being the lead and LEADER of a superhero team but perhaps sewing the seeds of her romance with Forge who is Cheyenne (and a war vet with prosthetic limbs?)

Sidenote: I loved me some Storm/Forge. The Windrider and the Maker. For that matter, I loved me some Banshee, too. And I remain deeply disappointed that they never went there with Emma and Sean during their run as headmasters at Gen X. They would have been hot.

• Love 1