Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Mika is not a slave to outsiders telling her how to dress anymore!!!  It takes 5 pics in the same dress to prove it to you. 

I will say the photos of Mika back in the day are pretty indicative of how much of a slave of plastic surgery she became. A couple of them I didn't even recognize her. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-value/feature/mika-body-image-i-m-no-longer-slave-outside-expectations-ncna1008931

WOW, I was really taken back when I saw the old pictures of Meeks! Lots of "work" done there, but don't you need to repeat the surgeries when things start to change or fall?? Scary stuff!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, PennyPie18 said:

WOW, I was really taken back when I saw the old pictures of Meeks! Lots of "work" done there, but don't you need to repeat the surgeries when things start to change or fall?? Scary stuff!

I guess depends on what you use. Botox only lasts 6 months or so I think. A surgery would hold for years until you just age naturally. 

All that plastic surgery, and she still sucks at her job.  It's not that she was unattractive, she just needed someone to show her how to dress to suit her figure. That isn't ego, it's just good sense.  I wonder if this is also the reason she went crazy with the running.  She didn't have a bad figure when she first started on MJ, she was actually very attractive. She had a pleasant look, and her hair wasn't so severe. 

I remember her saying during the Trump/bleeding face thing that her mother had told her she needed to do something about her neck.   When she'd tell the story she'd be doing that fake laughing like "no this doesn't bother me at all, I'm just dying on the inside".  She even said she told Nicole or somebody, come talk to me about it, it was so easy, you'd love it.  

Can you imagine your mother saying, "you need plastic surgery"?  I loved my Mom, but I think I  would have told her where she could stick her opinion.  

I get the feeling Mom is a lot of the reason for Mika's insecurities.  Constantly trying to please her and Daddy, always falling short. 

Then she gets a new powerful guy paying attention to her, and she just went nuts. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, I remember the "old' Mika. The fact that she wrote the article defending all the work she had to have to make herself presentable is either total insecurity or maybe in that business women feel pressure that men don't. Men just get a poor hair dye job and call it a day.

God, all this Mika,/plastic surgery talk just begs for a co-authored tell all by Joe's ex wives.

Edited by stormy

I know they're still young ish but you don't see Katy, Nicolle, Stephanie, Yasmin, etc. getting plastic surgery.  

Mika actually (IMO) looked better before.  She's like Kim Kardashian, she was better looking before she turned herself into a Barbie doll. 

I noticed she said in that article she's really pale so she must be getting spray tanned or something because she always look tan.   No wonder she's a wreck, how exhausting to have to change how you look to keep your sick idea of what's attractive. 

New interview in Forbes Magazine.  Is it me or does this statement by Mika not make a lot of sense? 

This book is especially important now because young women are getting so many conflicting messages as they enter the workforce. We are told to be scrappy and disciplined, serious, focused and to work all hours. But we are also told to know our value and that women are paid in large part less than their male counterparts and that it happens from the very start and we never catch up. This book helps you figure out how to do everything at once and at the right time, so you can game out your career and those first three jobs can really launch you. That first decade is so important.

How are women told to know their value and that they aren't as valuable as men at the same time?  

And aren't we not supposed to do everything at once?  Also, you plan your first three jobs?  Who knows how many jobs they're going to have?  

First I'll work at CBS, then they'll fire me.  Second I get a job at MSNBC as a news break reader, and they won't even give me a contract. Third, I'll get hired to try out as the news reader for the Imus in the Morning replacement.   

I'll have a melt down on tv, I'll be screamed at by my co host, then he'll hit on me, we'll travel around the country together, yada yada yada, Daddy put a ring on it, paid for these new boobs and face, and my plan has succeeded. 

Pay attention young women, this is how you do it.  It just involves compromising any integrity you ever had,  betraying your husband and kids, making a fool of yourself, and being the laughing stock of the main stream media, which, considering some of the people who work in that business, is quite a feat. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, suomi said:

Evidently the Teleprompter Barbie transformation is complete and, conveniently, a happy me looks better than an 'enhanced' me. 

Exactly. She’s finished with the enhancements and now she’s happy. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, may flowers said:

a happy me looks better than an 'enhanced' me. 

1 hour ago, may flowers said:

She’s finished with the enhancements and now she’s happy. 

I can't believe she is this obtuse. 

I got big boobs, but I'm happier now because I'm happy. (that I got big boobs). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

Oh God no, just no.  This has to be a new low.  She's tying her godson's confirmation to her new book . . . . oh look, a sighting of my co-author . . . aaaagggggghhhhhhh!

Lol another “friend” who works for her. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Lol another “friend” who works for her. 

Why do I have this vision of the Scarborough's In Normandy with Daniella standing slightly off camera behind a card table full of their books that didn't sell wearing one of those coin changers strapped around her waist?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 5/29/2019 at 4:43 PM, teddysmom said:

Mika is not a slave to outsiders telling her how to dress anymore!!!  It takes 5 pics in the same dress to prove it to you. 

I will say the photos of Mika back in the day are pretty indicative of how much of a slave of plastic surgery she became. A couple of them I didn't even recognize her. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-value/feature/mika-body-image-i-m-no-longer-slave-outside-expectations-ncna1008931

😂 I just read this after reading everyone’s snark convinced me it was worth it. It did not disappoint. There are just so much 🤯 in there. Like, she’s shown us photos of herself as a child, we know she didn’t have curly hair.

Anyway, this is the second time in the last year she’s said she’s happy with her appearance and not doing any more work. Last time that lasted a couple months and then she had her boobs done again. Hmm. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, may flowers said:

Exactly. She’s finished with the enhancements and now she’s happy. 

One more nose job and it will probably fall off.

I would never had recognized her in any of those photos.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, XOQueens said:

I just read this after reading everyone’s snark convinced me it was worth it. It did not disappoint. There are just so much 🤯 in there.

And in every single one of those pictures--well, maybe not the first one; she looks like Jessica Savitch in that one--she looks infinitely more like a real human being than the stretched, plastic, bleached, unreal person she appears to be now.  I actually really like the last one, from 2009.  

Probably she has decided to stop having work done less because of a thunderclap moment and more because there's just no skin left to be stretched and snipped.  The message she claims to be giving is that focusing on one's physical image is all a bad idea, yet she continues to bleach her hair beyond recognition, obsesses about her eating, and poses suggestively in a manner ill-befitting a 52 year old supposed professional newswoman.  And cashes in on it.

I do wonder how much of her 'transformation' was self-directed and how much came as a result of pressure from TPTB, or Joe himself.  She talks about having her hair and wardrobe and makeup dictated, which is likely true, but did they also push her to go under the knife?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, meowmommy said:

She talks about having her hair and wardrobe and makeup dictated, which is likely true, but did they also push her to go under the knife?

I have to wonder how true that is.  Look at the other women on MSNBC.  Does Katy Tur or Yasmin look like they're being pressured to dress provocatively?  I know they were both pregnant in the last 12 months so it would be hard to wear low cut tops etc,  but even before that. You never saw them wearing tight dresses and cfm heels.  Kasie Hunt has worn that god forsaken white jacket so much I'm surprised it hasn't fallen apart.  

Nicolle wears very nice dresses and tops, she's very attractive, funny and can get outraged without sounding like she's having a nervous breakdown.

Mika started changing when she got on Morning Joe, and I believe it had a lot more to do with her trying to look attractive for him and other men on the show at the time then outside pressure to look "hot".  

• Love 2

I just have to inquire...why don't most of us like Meeka?  Why is she so oft-putting?  In some ways I kind of feel for her - she truly does not seem to know her value and is always trying to prove something; I don't know what.  It must be exhausting to be her.  So again...why don't we like her?  I am speaking for most of us who post stuff like this.  To those who do....I get it, not trying to criticize.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just have to inquire...why don't most of us like Meeka?  Why is she so oft-putting?  In some ways I kind of feel for her - she truly does not seem to know her value and is always trying to prove something; I don't know what.  It must be exhausting to be her.  So again...why don't we like her?  I am speaking for most of us who post stuff like this.  To those who do....I get it, not trying to criticize.

I think because she comes across as shallow and silly, and she's so clueless she doesn't realize everything she has is because of Joe Scarborough. 

Guys I just read this and finally, Know Your Value has done some good, as Yasmin wrote this story about herself and it was published on the KYV/NBC News site.  It almost brought tears to my eyes. she always seems so cool and confident. 

To me this is the difference between women like Yasmin & Mika. Yasmin has something that outwardly is noticeable and she's self conscious about.  No histrionics, or cake videos. Just I have bad days when this bothers me and I'm going to keep going, as I know I'm a good mom and have talent. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-value/feature/yasmin-vossoughian-how-i-learned-stop-worrying-love-my-giant-ncna1009631

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Guys I just read this and finally, Know Your Value has done some good, as Yasmin wrote this story about herself and it was published on the KYV/NBC News site.  It almost brought tears to my eyes. she always seems so cool and confident. 

The story reminds me of Padma Lakshmi, who, rather than hide the giant scar on her arm, embraces it as part of her identity.  If KYV was just about empowering women, it could be fantastic, but as it is just Mika's brand that she monetizes, it's shamtastic.

22 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I think because she comes across and shallow, and silly, and she's so clueless she doesn't realize everything she has is because of Joe Scarborough. 

If she were less shallow, she would thank her stars for the opportunities she's been given, take advantage of those opportunities to work her ass off and become knowledgeable and more articulate and a solid news anchor, but she just doesn't.  She coasts on what she's been given.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

She coasts on what she's been given.  

Exactly. Speaking of Yasmin,  I read an article about an award she won for going to Tehran by herself, and filming a documentary.  Below is a quote from a story about her. 

She went all the way to Teheran, Iran alone, and made a documentary on the underground youth culture of the city. Vossoughian was virtually a one-woman army as she handled everything from reporting, shooting, editing, and presenting the documentary.

It was for this stellar work that she was awarded the CINE Golden Eagle Award in 2006.

Can you even imagine Mika going to a dangerous place by herself and shooting editing and presenting a documentary?   She thinks going to Orlando and standing on a stage in an air conditioned ball room and telling UBS employees how hard her life is some major accomplishment. 

"I'm so passionate about KYV, I will never stop talking about myself and my struggle to go from 34C to 38D.  Now, who wants some cake? " 

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

Interesting question that I’ve wondered about personally. For me, it’s that she’s radically transformed herself for a man - ending her marriage, changing her body, and taking on his opinions-and in exchange Joe takes care of her professionally and personally.  Then she hypocritically lectures other women on knowing our  value.  To me it seems as if  her value is determined by Joe - she is simply a reflection of his perfect woman.  I remember reading articles where Mika referred to Joe as her stylist and her publicist - he literally accompanied her when she was being interviewed and steered the conversation.  It’s an extraordinarily co-dependent relationship, and it’s hard for me to view them separately.

Once upon a time, I felt for her - overbearing father, overbearing Joe (I didn’t watch the show for a year after Joe snapped his fingers at her), not as academically achievement-oriented as her family -  but when she started disrespecting viewers by mumbling while others spoke, cleaning out her pocketbook on live TV, and demonstrating her lack of preparedness by skimming an author’s book while the author sat next to her, that empathy was strained.   Then came their blatant, vociferous support for Trump and their unwillingness to accept that their undisguised  Hillary hatred and Trump favoritism helped Trump get elected...well, it all adds up to not liking Mika...or Joe .  I just don’t respect either of them. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, may flowers said:

Interesting question that I’ve wondered about personally. For me, it’s that she’s radically transformed herself for a man - ending her marriage, changing her body, and taking on his opinions-and in exchange Joe takes care of her professionally and personally.  Then she hypocritically lectures other women on knowing our  value.  To me it seems as if  her value is determined by Joe - she is simply a reflection of his perfect woman.  I remember reading articles where Mika referred to Joe as her stylist and her publicist - he literally accompanied her when she was being interviewed and steered the conversation.  It’s an extraordinarily co-dependent relationship, and it’s hard for me to view them separately.

Once upon a time, I felt for her - overbearing father, overbearing Joe (I didn’t watch the show for a year after Joe snapped his fingers at her), not as academically achievement-oriented as her family -  but when she started disrespecting viewers by mumbling while others spoke, cleaning out her pocketbook on live TV, and demonstrating her lack of preparedness by skimming an author’s book while the author sat next to her, that empathy was strained.   Then came their blatant, vociferous support for Trump and their unwillingness to accept that their undisguised  Hillary hatred and Trump favoritism helped Trump get elected...well, it all adds up to not liking Mika...or Joe .  I just don’t respect either of them. 

Bingo! 

How can she say kyv when it's all a con? It's the hypocritical BS that also irritates me. Know your value while I get mine from my powerful husband who works behind the scenes to get me whatever I want.   

I guess they both got what they want, a shallow person who looks at them adoringly,  props up their bullshit and tells the world how wonderful they are. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just have to inquire...why don't most of us like Meeka?

Ha!  I started to answer this and realized I'd written too much.
She's dishonest.  She's a hypocrite.  She's petty and neurotic.
She is an emotional disaster without a sense of humor about it; zero perspective on her plainly visible limitations and her persona in general.  She could be a sympathetic, appealing character but she works incredibly hard not to be.

If she
tried hard at work
worked on her shortcomings and could laugh at them
could release her insecurities and be the best Mika sort-of-journalist she can be...
...then she'd be likeable.  A fun, relaxed, secure, white-blonde, big-boobed, high-heeled lady and we'd take her for what she is.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

Since you asked, I can answer this pretty easily. You don't dislike Mika, per se, you dislike the idea of news as infotainment. That is a perfectly legitimate opinion, but taking it out, in this visceral way, on Mika, is not. It's a projection. You may say she’s no different than a Kardashian, and you’d be right. But therein lies the rub. She’s made her success on a show in an industry where her particular brand has been successful.

You may be frustrated that she's no Andrea Mitchell or Rachel Maddow, but she never pretended to be. She's made her success in this news-as-infotainment world, she's found a niche, she's made money. To say she's done it sleeping with the boss is defamatory, simplistic, and a complete misunderstanding of the climate and industry within which she was operating, like saying Stormy was "sleeping her way to the top".

Um, no. Mika was attractive, charming, funny, a foil to Scarborough's general grumpy ass-holishness. There's no way the show would have been successful with him just bloviating on his own. She was there, she was popular and well-liked from the beginning. She had chemistry with the host. She softened him, she laughed at him. Maybe that's a degrading role for a professional woman to take on - but it's one that, at that moment in time, had financial value - and to be honest, in sports, entertainment, music -  so many things are all about chemistry. She had it, she was a part of it. That was her value, and it may not be worth a lot academically, but in TV it’s worth A LOT, financially.

It shouldn’t be, but it is. It may be a mystery to a lot of serious, educated people, but commercially, it is not. She has every right to say she earned it, as every other questionable personality who's had commercial success in sports, tv, entertainment. She hasn't earned it academically, but she's earned it, financially, in the same ephemeral way of 90% of people in the public eye.

Again, your problem is with infotainment as news. I get it - I hate reality shows. I think the Kardashians are terrible - but that they've built a brand and earned their money is undeniable. To attack any of the individual women, using crude, sexist language, rumours and innuendo, regardless of how much I disapprove of their message and forum, I consider a step back for ALL OF US.

Same with Mika - she is what she is. Your problem is not with her, it’s with MSNBC, it's with cable news, it's with infotainment.To continue, for years, to unload all of this on HER, to crudely strip down every element of her personality and appearance, while leaving Scarborough unscathed, is entirely disproportionate. At least she has some minimal sense of compassion and progressivism, as opposed to Scarborough.

Finally re: Know your value. Yeah, it’s bland. To most educated women, it’s a book filled with obvious platitudes. But. Throughout my entire professional life I’ve encountered extraordinarily intelligent young women who need to be TOLD obvious platitudes, because their lives have either been too single-focused or they’ve been trampled on big time along the way, or they've been too theoretical to concentrated on practicalities. If a book of platitudes from someone like Mika can help them, I’m all for it. The fact that intelligent, respectable women on MSNBC and elsewhere are going out and saying it helped them may seem incomprehensible to many, but there is no reason why it shouldn't be taken at face-value. Again, A LOT of smart women NEED to be told totally obvious things.

• Love 2

Why aren't we talking about Joe?

To me, he's more offensive than Mika on any given day.

But this is not a news show for me merely entertainment. These two can bring out the worst in nearly anyone that comes on the show. That's panelists and guests alike.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just have to inquire...why don't most of us like Meeka?

We all (myself included) try to come up with clever answers to this on a daily basis, but bottom line and concisely... she's the kind of woman who would marry Joe Scarborough. 'Nuff said.

6 minutes ago, stormy said:

I have hated Joe since the moment he came on the scene as a camera-hogging Congressman with an anus for a mouth.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, neona said:

Since you asked, I can answer this pretty easily. You don't dislike Mika, per se, you dislike the idea of news as infotainment.

Whoa. This was a lot of speaking for others. 

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 11
17 hours ago, neona said:

She has every right to say she earned it,

I first want to say I truly appreciated your post as it for me is well laid out and highlights many unfortunate truths in the media these days.  I think cable news is just now coming to grips on their part of the chaos and misinformation that they at times helped broadcast.  They are in the process of dialing it back/readjusting but it will take a while to recover what has happened in the past couple of years.

My problem with Mika (and Joe) is simple.  Those two acted like two slobbering, goofy teenagers in love right on the air while married to other people for the whole world to see including their children and their children's friends.  I can't imagine the angst both sets of kids must have gone through watching this play out on the airwaves for all to see.  For that, I shake my head every day that they continue to let these two camera/vanity project hogs have a morning show as MSNBC is awash in great talents that could produce a knowledgeable, informational and engaging show.  It is astonishingly clear neither one of them does an ounce of prep work before they pull on professional clothes from the waist up and stammer/bloviate through their grueling two hours worth of air time a day from their comfy digs in Florida.  Again, put in a team that would appreciate having this opportunity and I am sure you would see a far greater show.

Both CBS and NBC have had their share of negligence at the top highlighted and yet the powers that be still remain.  Until the Board of Directors finally does something about Phil Griffin and Andy Lack these two will remain but again for me they do not deserve a second of their air time.

I again thank you for your post.

6 hours ago, suomi said:

Will they be in Madrid, watching Liverpool in the Champions League Final?

Yep and I bet they are not even going to have to use their Mileage Points.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

My problem with Mika (and Joe) is simple.  Those two acted like two slobbering, goofy teenagers in love right on the air while married to other people for the whole world to see including their children and their children's friends.  I can't imagine the angst both sets of kids must have gone through watching this play out on the airwaves for all to see.  For that, I shake my head every day that they continue to let these two camera/vanity project hogs have a morning show as MSNBC is awash in great talents that could produce a knowledgeable, informational and engaging show.  It is astonishingly clear neither one of them does an ounce of prep work before they pull on professional clothes from the waist up and stammer/bloviate through their grueling two hours worth of air time a day from their comfy digs in Florida.  Again, put in a team that would appreciate having this opportunity and I am sure you would see a far greater show.

👏👏👏👏

• Love 6
18 hours ago, stormy said:

To me, he's more offensive than Mika on any given day.

But this is not a news show for me merely entertainment. These two can bring out the worst in nearly anyone that comes on the show. That's panelists and guests alike.

Mika & Joe were much nicer to their guests when the show started. They also covered so many interesting topics. I remember when they had segments on how to deal with kids using Facebook. They were able to challenge guests that they didn't agree with politically.

Now it's the same sycophants almost every day. They manage to agree with Joe 95% of the time.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe were much nicer to their guests when the show started. They also covered so many interesting topics. I remember when they had segments on how to deal with kids using Facebook. They were able to challenge guests that they didn't agree with politically.

Now it's the same sycophants almost every day. They manage to agree with Joe 95% of the time.

As their interest in either grew, their collective interest in the show diminished.  This had to have had a debilitating effect on their crews/supporting staff and now we are stuck with Live from Florida It's The Scarborough's!  How can you expect those that clearly worked so hard to deliver a great show to continue to grind out a high quality daily show product when it is clear their work is virtually ignored.  No wonder Chris Licht left.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I shake my head every day that they continue to let these two camera/vanity project hogs have a morning show as MSNBC is awash in great talents that could produce a knowledgeable, informational and engaging show.

Yesterday proved that all you have to do is let these two take the day off and let Willie run the show to prove this point.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, The Solution said:

Yesterday proved that all you have to do is let these two take the day off and let Willie run the show to prove this point.

I would let Heidi or Yasmin co host with Willie.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Yes. That's why when I saw Richard Haas on CNN recently I was surprised how different his demeanor was.

And just for you Oakville  GO RAPTORS!

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4

Joe's latest WaPo column

Ignore the ground noise and search for the signal, instead. That may seem difficult but, after three years of Trumpian madness, it is imperative.

The signal is the Mueller report. Read it. The evidence inside is both impeachable and indictable. It also documents that the Russians tried to undermine U.S. democracy and that the president and his team, rather than reporting the interference, welcomed our enemy’s help.

William P. Barr is ground noise. The attorney general has been caught lying to the American people with his letter, lying to Congress with his testimony and lying to the media in his interviews.

His bizarre semi-tribute to his mom notwithstanding, Joe always seems to write better than he bloviates.

• Love 3

Egads, I can't believe I am saying this but I agree with his column.  Ignore those that you know are liars as trust me they will outrun you every time.  Follow the truth as it never wavers and that is what is most important and it will slow the news cycle down to where folks can catch up again.

Thanks for posting the link meowmommy, I would have missed it!

• Love 3

I see Katty Kay has taken the KYV no more Botox pledge (that or the lighting in the NBC London studio is not good).  Actually I think she looks better, much more natural.  That last dose almost pulled her eyes to the sides of her head.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Joe always seems to write better than he bloviates.

Rachel Maddow has been saying since Day 1, do not pay attention to what he says, pay attention to what he does.  Apparently Joe finally paid attention. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Andrea Mitchel leads this morning with "They're protesting in London, in the rain."

Watch out, Joey, she's stealin' your stuff!

Hee, I have $5 says she did it on purpose . . . 😉

• LOL 4
On 6/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, Chloesmom said:

I first want to say I truly appreciated your post as it for me is well laid out and highlights many unfortunate truths in the media these days.  I think cable news is just now coming to grips on their part of the chaos and misinformation that they at times helped broadcast.  They are in the process of dialing it back/readjusting but it will take a while to recover what has happened in the past couple of years.

Both CBS and NBC have had their share of negligence at the top highlighted and yet the powers that be still remain.  Until the Board of Directors finally does something about Phil Griffin and Andy Lack these two will remain but again for me they do not deserve a second of their air time.

I again thank you for your post.

Yep and I bet they are not even going to have to use their Mileage Points.

Thank you, Chloesmom, for your kindness. I was feeling a bit nervous about my post and I am grateful that it wasn't entirely misconstrued. Obviously I would never spend time at this forum if I didn't believe it was populated by interesting people with interesting opinons, even if they are different from my own. I am often incredibly impressed and amused by the minds and personalities who are hanging out here! 🙂

I understand the hurt and resentment caused by Joe and Mika's personal behaviour. I don't personally think it's justifiable...I guess all I can say is that I find it to be emotionally honest. Even if it was deceitful. You could SEE it, their connection was there whether they wanted to hide it or not. Sometimes that's more honest. And at times it seemed like they didn't care, or at least had some arrangement with their respective spouses.

I guess my point is 1) whatever happened, Mika, as a woman, is no more to blame than Joe, as a man, and 2) we can guess, but we don't KNOW what actually went down. As women we are constantly exposed to assumptions and guesswork from all angles about our decisions and motivations. Sometimes the real story is so much more COMPLICATED than anyone could imagine. 

In my opinion, the respect we owe each other as women in complicated situations is not to assume. We don't KNOW for a fact that Mika and her husband didn't have a conversation, early on, where they agreed to stick together for the kids for a while and at the same time have an open-ish marriage. We don't KNOW how much Joe's wife knew. We do know why they all got divorced. But we do know they all keep in touch, live near each other, pose for pictures together and have never back-stabbed each other in the press. In the current social and political climate, that is actually very telling.

I grew up in a complicated family, and none of those things would EVER happen in MY family, where there were a lot of resentments floating around. To ME, it means that in this family, there are compassionate, kind grownups, no matter how sexually immoral they may be in the eyes of outsiders. And, to me, it means they are all good parents. And until I hear otherwise, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not to get too personal, but to me, my dad could sleep with a hundred strangers as long as he showed up for MY school play (he didn't. Joe and MIka both clearly do.). In my opinion, sometimes the "moralists" out there lose sight of what truly matters by judging behaviour by the wrong criteria. 

Anyway, love all your guys' opinions and the opportunity to air some interesting philosophical points! 🙂 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, neona said:

I understand the hurt and resentment caused by Joe and Mika's personal behaviour.

I can't speak for Chloesmom or anyone else here, but I don't give a rat's ass about their marital histories, as it relates to their jobs.  I do care that they are woefully unqualified, dreadfully unprepared, obscenely overpaid, and blindly self-entitled for what they do, in a society that has increasingly come to despise merit and reward banality.  I resent the hell out of that. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I can't speak for Chloesmom or anyone else here, but I don't give a rat's ass about their marital histories, as it relates to their jobs.  I do care that they are woefully unqualified, dreadfully unprepared, obscenely overpaid, and blindly self-entitled for what they do, in a society that has increasingly come to despise merit and reward banality.  I resent the hell out of that. 

ITA.  I wouldn't care so much about the relationship, in fact probably not at all if they would have at least tried for three hours a day to act like professionals.  Maybe they were being fantastic to their families, if so great, but they behaved like a couple of teenagers in heat on air and it's annoying AF. 

I would have rather found out to my surprise that they had quietly divorced, and were in a great relationship and marrying. But instead we get them fighting on air, pawing at each other, and talking about side projects like the show is just an after thought. 

And maybe we do pick on Mika more than Joe but she makes those videos and I'm not made of wood!!!   There is only so much pig torturing and "I'm happy, no I'm happy, no really, I'm happy videos" I can take!! 

It's all good.  This is where we come to let off steam and enjoy each other. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

Yes, that's fair enough. I don't think they're particularly qualified, prepared, or appropriately paid either. I guess my main issue is why Mika, and Mika's face, personality, affinity for plastic surgery, choice in clothing, etc., is so disproportionately blamed for the breakdown of the Trans-Atlantic alliance, while men's centuries-old warrior affinities and inclinations are left in peace.

I know it sounds totally irrational but I feel so many of these issues can be blamed on ignorant, ruthless,  over-ambitious men, and when we blame them on ill-informed, confused women like Mika, we are working against ourselves, somehow.... 

4 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I would have rather found out to my surprise that they had quietly divorced, and were in a great relationship and marrying. But instead we get them fighting on air, pawing at each other, and talking about side projects like the show is just an after thought. 

But like... just in terms of minutes per hour, is the "pawing" really that much? I kinda feel like if it's a big deal and if people are obsessed about it, it's too much.... But to normal people, is it really so overwhelming? If they were actually "pawing" at each other (they don't. post a clip if you wish to contradict that) wouldn't people just stop watching? And in my view, this was virtually NON-EXISTENT before they got married. The only time I've seen it vaguely referenced was on SNL.

1 hour ago, neona said:

The only time I've seen it vaguely referenced was on SNL.

We have often bounced around here if we are being too hard or critical of Mika until their own parent network greenlighted not one but two cold openings for SNL featuring them and their at times cringe worthy behavior.  That's when for me we knew we were not being overtly picky as others were clearly seeing what we were seeing.  Their behavior on air more than once sailed off into dicey waters and there was nothing vague about it.

Again, I appreciate your point of view but I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, neona said:

Yes, that's fair enough. I don't think they're particularly qualified, prepared, or appropriately paid either. I guess my main issue is why Mika, and Mika's face, personality, affinity for plastic surgery, choice in clothing, etc., is so disproportionately blamed for the breakdown of the Trans-Atlantic alliance, while men's centuries-old warrior affinities and inclinations are left in peace.

I know it sounds totally irrational but I feel so many of these issues can be blamed on ignorant, ruthless,  over-ambitious men, and when we blame them on ill-informed, confused women like Mika, we are working against ourselves, somehow.... 

Joe dressed like a slob from 2012-2015. I called him Fleecy Joe. It was so bad that Mika would try to get the leftover cereal off his fleece tops. He was dressed very unprofessionally . Since Mika's divorce, she has made sure that Joe usually wears a suit with a tie. Mika has abandoned her Unitarian Scarf collection to my dismay.

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

fleece tops

It looks like he gave them to Michael Schmidt from the NYT as every time I see him he has one on (sans cereal crumbs).  They must be a chick magnet.

44 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

It looks like he gave them to Michael Schmidt from the NYT as every time I see him he has one on (sans cereal crumbs).  They must be a chick magnet.

It seems to be working. He is supposedly dating Nicole Wallace.

• LOL 1