Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Hahaha Alexander is hilarious. There's one post where he shows a gif with Caity Lotz being awesome in the gym, doing flips and kicks and ish, to Lawwwwwwrel who jumped onto a van and stumbled. That made me laugh so much.

I'll just leave these here...

tumblr_niybt2FT5o1qlzf0xo1_400.gif tumblr_niybt2FT5o1qlzf0xo3_400.gif

• Love 5

Thanks, @Angel12d, I've bookmarked that page so I can read future reviews.  One that I really like is the prattchris tumblr that people post recaps from.  That person thinks like I do and never fails to crack me up.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

But guys, this is all part of Laurel's journey. She's not supposed to be good. Blah blah blah fishcakes. 

It's the character for me. When Roy stumbles about, I'm okay with it. If it had been Sin taking over for Sara, I would have been okay with it. I won't ever be okay with Laurel SWFing Sara. Ever. 

On topic - prattchris' and atom1cflea's recaps always make me laugh. I also think jbuffyangel is giving TPTB way too much credit. I remember Mischa Collins' talking about how fans think way more about the shows then the people who make them. 

• Love 9

On topic - prattchris' and atom1cflea's recaps always make me laugh. I also think jbuffyangel is giving TPTB way too much credit. I remember Mischa Collins' talking about how fans think way more about the shows then the people who make them. 

Yeah, I've seen fans of other shows who seem like the spend hours figuring out rational explanations for every tiny thing in a show, and shout down anyone who doesn't see the same minute logic. They claim that the showrunners are professionals, so all of this coincidental, tortured reasoning must surely be deliberate and incredibly smart writing. It's not. It's just that if you look hard enough for something, you're going to convince yourself you've found it.

Guggenheim doesn't seem like a man who can handle the big picture of a show, let alone the tiny details and plot points and continuity that these 'analysts' claim.

• Love 7

Have all the main Arrow recapers/podcasters quit the show? 

People can say it doesn't mean anything, but I imagine having all the popular recapers give up the show around the same time is a big blow to the show. 

• Love 4

Yeah, I've seen fans of other shows who seem like the spend hours figuring out rational explanations for every tiny thing in a show, and shout down anyone who doesn't see the same minute logic. They claim that the showrunners are professionals, so all of this coincidental, tortured reasoning must surely be deliberate and incredibly smart writing. It's not. It's just that if you look hard enough for something, you're going to convince yourself you've found it.

Yes this exactly. I remember reading posts by Sterek (Teen Wolf) shippers who analyzed everything down to the color of the shirts the guys wore (sound familiar?) and were absolutely convinced this was all part of some clever long term plan to get Derek and Stiles together.

That's not working out so well for them.

And honestly if someone believes in the story the writers are telling and wants to avoid the negativity, that's perfectly fine. But you don't get to say I'm not a real FAN just because these writers have so far managed to meet or exceed all my worst fears. You know what they say - fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

• Love 4

I think this whole deep analysis of a TV show became popular due to Lost.

In the beginning of the Lost series (emphasis on "in the beginning"), the writing heavily used symbolism and hidden clues.They actually thought about how all these clues and symbols were connected to the different stories of the characters.

It was fun as a fan to look out for these symbols, clues etc and research the meanings online and try to predict and analyze the upcoming storyline etc. Of course at the tail end of the series things started going downhill.

Since then, a lot of TV shows have the same fan analysis and predictions blah blah blah. But like a lot have said here.... The truth of the matter is that for most of these show (most especially for Arrow), the writers don't think that deep in regard to the stories they are writing (e.g Red Pen/Blue Pen example).

Edited by Chiny11
  • Love 4

And honestly if someone believes in the story the writers are telling and wants to avoid the negativity, that's perfectly fine. But you don't get to say I'm not a real FAN just because these writers have so far managed to meet or exceed all my worst fears. You know what they say - fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

And there's another saying: Nobody hates like a diehard fan. If you didn't care, you'd just walk away. I've always really been irked by those easy generalisations that fandom means you mustn't criticise.

• Love 9

I think this whole deep analysis of a TV show became popular due to Lost.

If only.

(Sad mourning for the days of X-Files fan conspiracy theories and deep analysis of absolutely everything everywhere leaving Duchovny going, huh?)

• Love 12

Even DJ Douchebag is trying to leave the Glades and visits Verdant to collect his things

This is from the EW Arrow Recap posted on the previous page.  I'm so proud that DJ Douchebag went mainstream.  Does that mean the EW recapper reads these pages?

• Love 5

The Black Canary should not just be starting out at 30 years old, she should've already been there years ago. 

I just realized that if Arrow lasts for 10 years like Smallville, then Green Arrow and Black Canary will be almost 40 years old by then. -- usually the age of the parents on CW shows.  

Maybe that's why they've introduced Oliver's son (saving him for the future?).  And maybe they'll introduce a serious love interest for Laurel and she'll have a daughter.  And Oliver's son and Laurel's daughter will be the future GA and BC?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This review is very positive about both the episode overall and Laurel's journey in particular, plus the reviewer compliments both KC's acting and EBR's acting...

‘Arrow’ Review/Recap: “Midnight City”
Posted on January 31, 2015  Nora Dominick ‘17 / Emertainment Monthly Staff Writer
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2015/01/31/arrow-reviewrecap-midnight-city/

Cassidy has been preparing to take on this harrowing role for months now and her hard work showed.... Cassidy did an excellent job of portraying Laurel’s heartache and determination to honor Sara’s memory.... Cassidy continues to grow as an actress and proved that with the right material, she can become a fan favorite once again.
Each week Rickards continues to step up her acting game and become one of the best actresses on Arrow. Her ability to go from moments of complete heartbreak to comedic moments is simply stunning. This episode, Felicity continues to deal with Oliver’s death. In the beginning, Felicity appears to be in a trance as she went about daily life with Ray. Most television shows don’t show every stage of grief however, Arrow isn’t a normal television show. By having Felicity wander around and not acting like herself, her pain is conveyed effortlessly on screen and Rickards acting has a lot to do with that. Her ability to silently take Felicity through the five stages of grief is astounding.
Edited by tv echo

I didn't really have a problem with KC's acting in this episode, or even in the last one as far as I can remember. But fan favorite? No, not for me. My biggest problem is in the way they're presenting the character and her journey. I've gone into each episode this season with an open mind. I've avoided fan boards so as not to see other people complaining, which might affect my own opinion. And we have now reached a point where I dislike Laurel even more than I did in season 2, and that is saying something. It's not even about her being BC - it's just in the way the character comes across in general.

• Love 7

From Tvline:

Given Arrow’s abrupt re-introduction of Thea’s DJ pal, was there any scenario where he didn’t turn out to be a bad guy? Are we crazy to think that Oliver’s new flashback wig makes him kind of sexy? (And was William Shatner right when he said it made him look like Jared Padalecki?) And how concerned should we be that Felicity seems to be contracting Joey Potter Syndrome?

http://tvline.com/2015/01/30/parenthood-series-finale-happy-ending-tv-questions-answers/

That wig is weird. When in behind the scenes pics, it looks worse than the others. But in the episode looked good.

Also, are we really talking Joey Potter Syndrome already? For 2 guys interested in her?

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1

Well, I guess if you count Barry from last season, they're sort of representing her as superhero catnip lol. I never watched Dawson's Creek though, so I can't speak to the comparison. That said, I think if any future heroes are introduced, they need to not be romantically connected to Felicity. But again, I don't blame Felicity - I think that's the EPs writing for story rather than character, and they apparently want her to be the glue holding the superhero world together (I'm fully expecting her to start the JL if they go there.) But that can be accomplished without the romance angle.

• Love 2

I have to roll my eyes on the irony of the Joey Potter syndrome being applied to Felicity. For two seasons, its why are guys not falling all over her. Then a guy becomes interested and Felicity becomes a Joey Potter.

I personally don't really count Barry. Because I never viewed it more than a casual flirtation. He was always in love with Iris.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 2

I think they are trying to make Felicity like Chloe from Smallville. Although Chloe wasn't romantically involved with any of them until Oliver Queen which was after years of knowing of him. But she was the glue that held the team together. Now this show is making me give Smallville credit for doing that storyline much better. 

• Love 6

I personally don't really count Barry. Because I never viewed it more than a casual flirtation. He was always in love with Iris.

Yeah, I don't count him either. Besides, They've been banging us on the head since summer that Ray would be a love interest for her, and now what? What's the point of that statement? - I'm taking great offense at the Joey Potter comparison, really, I kind of hated her lol

I think it's probably because it all happened sort of close together. But it makes sense narratively for Felicity to try to move on given the events of The Calm. I don't have a problem with heroes being interested in her - she's pretty awesome. If I were a guy, I'd probably be into her. She's beautiful, smart, outspoken, witty. If heroes flirting with her became a sort of tongue-in-cheek theme, I'd be fine with that. It's more the execution of it that I find a bit tiresome.

• Love 3

Kreisberg is well versed enough in Smallville, I've seen him talk about specific storylines and relationships, that only comes from being a fan. So I can't help but imagine how much stuff is pitched in the writers room for Felicity that he just goes "can't do that, because Chloe".

Its been awhile since I watched Dawson's Creek. But I was a very loyal follower of the show. I can see Felicity falling into Joey Potter syndrome in some ways. As smart & beautiful Joey was she always was kinda of a blockhead when it came to romance & relationships. Felicity in some ways shares this characteristic. They also have the self-doubt or underestimating why all these people seem to think they're amazing. Both suffered from the abandonment of a parent, so I think that plays a role in it. Both are almost too smart for their own good & completely over analyze every situation. But for all of their over-analysis they are also quick to make sudden decisions for good or for bad that baffle those around them. They are also both slow to forget and forgive when they have been hurt. They keep a lot of things bottled up. Mostly, they don't seem to have a good balance when it comes to listening/following their heart and using their mind when it comes to interpersonal relationships (romantic/platonic). Ultimately, both characters make you wanna bang ur head against a wall, but you love them all at the same time. Classic girl next door w/ modern emo problems d/t hard childhoods. Lovable to a fault, but agonizing to watch their choices sometimes.

• Love 3

Its been awhile since I watched Dawson's Creek. But I was a very loyal follower of the show. I can see Felicity falling into Joey Potter syndrome in some ways. As smart & beautiful Joey was she always was kinda of a blockhead when it came to romance & relationships. Felicity in some ways shares this characteristic. They also have the self-doubt or underestimating why all these people seem to think they're amazing. Both suffered from the abandonment of a parent, so I think that plays a role in it. Both are almost too smart for their own good & completely over analyze every situation. But for all of their over-analysis they are also quick to make sudden decisions for good or for bad that baffle those around them. They are also both slow to forget and forgive when they have been hurt. They keep a lot of things bottled up. Mostly, they don't seem to have a good balance when it comes to listening/following their heart and using their mind when it comes to interpersonal relationships (romantic/platonic). Ultimately, both characters make you wanna bang ur head against a wall, but you love them all at the same time. Classic girl next door w/ modern emo problems d/t hard childhoods. Lovable to a fault, but agonizing to watch their choices sometimes.

Well, it has been two seasons and half and the only agonizing choice Felicity has made so far is the aiding and abetting Laurel in deceiving her dad, but we all know that it was to prop up Laurel so I most probably will forgive her for it by the time next Wednesday rolls in.  

Apart from the above mentioned blunder, Felicity has been rather spot on in making the smart decisions, for herself and the team.

• Love 2

Well, it has been two seasons and half and the only agonizing choice Felicity has made so far is the aiding and abetting Laurel in deceiving her dad, but we all know that it was to prop up Laurel so I most probably will forgive her for it by the time next Wednesday rolls in.  

Apart from the above mentioned blunder, Felicity has been rather spot on in making the smart decisions, for herself and the team.

You're right overall she does make smart decisions and did Joey. I guess agonizing wasn't the right word. Maybe frustrating is more the word I'm looking for. As a viewer, there were so many times with both F & J that they tend to put others needs in front of their own, or they choose to protect their heart rather then taking a leap. Those were some of the moments, I wish they could just try to prioritize their happiness over what should be happening or what is supposed to be happening. I would have loved to see Felicity become more of an independent woman in S3, once she finally told Oliver off at the end of Sara. But instead, her professional career began to revolve around a guy. And then she ran off to hang out with Barry & that cliche little black dress routine. It was just a little frustrating to watch, but that is more the writers doing. Trust me I love Felicity, just as I loved Joey. I just find them very relatable & enjoyable. Perhaps I just want them to choose to have happy things independent of a guy asking/telling them how they will help them be happy. By the end of DC, Joey had grown & was choosing to be happy & choosing for herself. I would like to see Felicity have that same autonomy.

• Love 1

SoundonSight review
Arrow Ep. 3.11 “Midnight City” proves its secondary players aren’t quite ready for prime-time

What Felicity’s presence in “Midnight City” really adds to is Ray’s story, which is really a lot of re-purposed season one Arrow material, fit around the background and persona of Ray Palmer. He’s rich, resourceful, attractive, and dangerous; Felicity Smoak is attracted to him; Ray/Oliver’s feelings for her help him stay grounded to his humanity, and their mission to protect the ones they love, and the city they love. The beats are endlessly familiar; but in the wake of Oliver’s “death”, gives much more weight to the journey of Ray from man in a suit and tie to man with a quantum-processor powered super-suit; some vague idea of vengeance or social nobility is only going to get you killed, or at best, isolated from the people you’ve sworn to protect....

-

While there’s no denying the effectiveness of the emotions shown by Quentin and Laurel by “Sara’s” re-apperance in Starling City, it borders on disturbing how horribly Laurel handles it. If there’s anything Laurel should take away from Sara’s death, it’s that withholding truth from the ones you love, no matter how difficult it may be, only lets the negative fester like an infection – it’s something Oliver learned way back in the pilot, when his father committed suicide in front of him.

-

Paired with Laurel is one of the episode’s more effective stories, however; if anything, “Midnight City” shows that Roy’s grown up a little bit, even if it’s growth that’s kind of been unfounded on-screen throughout the season. He’s able to follow Merlyn without him knowing (at first; still, pretty impressive), and he delivers the most important moment of truth, the symbolic anchor of the entire hour: there’s no hiding the truth. It will come out; and as much as Merlyn wants to delay telling his daughter the truth about why he wants to leave Starling City (as well as what happened to Sara), the worse the end result is going to be.

• Love 2

But wasn't the Joey Potter Syndrome used to indicate the little perfect girl everyone falls in love with? Or is it broader than that?

I sorta described it in my other posts. But can be broader than just the girl that everyone falls in love with. There is also an element of how can this girl not see what is right in front of her? How can she not believe what everyone is telling her? She is often portrayed as one of the most aware & intelligent ones on the show that seem so perceptive about everyone & everything, but lacks a crucial element of self-awareness. She is often not perfect, but her flaws are generally forgiven or explained away. She's the girl people want to be and the girl people flock towards, even though sometimes it makes no traditional TV sense to have a girl like her be "the girl".

Mentioned by SmallScreenDiva in the Relationships thread...

Arrow S03E11: What worked, what didn't, and what needs to happen next
February 1, 2015 2:17 AM MST
http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-s03e11-what-worked-what-didn-t-and-what-needs-to-happen-next

EBR gets kudos again:

Season 3 newcomer Ray Palmer isn’t too bad on his own. The fact that Felicity in Season 3 had been written to accommodate his story, however, has failed to endear him to audiences, and the ambiguous closeness between them in “Midnight City” feels uncomfortable so soon after Oliver’s presumed death. Fortunately, Emily Bett Rickards has been unfailingly consistent in her performances when not constrained by manufactured intimacy, and her subdued portrayal of a woman quietly mourning as she goes through the motions of her life saves her character in this episode. If Ray Palmer can have more scenes bantering about helicopters and fewer expounding on his unearned feelings for Felicity, he could be a fun character for the rest of the season.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

I love that review, pity it didn't come out sooner.

Wearing Sara’s leathers, donning Sara’s mask, carrying Sara’s bo staff, and presumably proceeding on a gross misinterpretation of “Single White Female,” Laurel bumbles her way through crimefighting in a manner that is laughable at best. It’s almost a relief that Oliver isn’t around to see these first steps; he’d either have a heart attack at the ridiculousness or fall over dead of secondhand embarrassment that people think that she is Sara. Swinging the staff like a nearsighted softball player and bristling at anybody who tries to talk sense into her, the only thing worse than Laurel’s mishaps is the speed with which she becomes effective. The show trying to present a woman who earlier could not jump onto the roof of a van without falling over as suddenly capable of leap through a window and onto a ladder dangling from a helicopter is insulting to viewers.

Another unpalatable aspect of Laurel’s current state is the ongoing deception of Quentin regarding Sara’s death. It was bad enough when the distraught Laurel was sidestepping the issue, but her deliberate perpetuating of the lie in “Midnight City” is unforgivable. With Team Arrow now complicit in the charade, Laurel crosses a line as she uses a voice modulator to adopt Sara’s voice and impersonate her sister to their father. Quentin’s excitement at the prospect of seeing Sara again is heartbreaking in the worst way, and the idea that Laurel would go to such extremes to actively deceive her father adds fuel to a fire that her character most decidedly does not need.

The rehabilitation of Laurel Lance is not so simple. At this point, it would almost be easier for “Arrow” to cut its losses and remove Laurel from the roster. Katie Cassidy has always done her best with the role, but the writing has not given her much in the way of consistency to work with. A lot of damage has been done, and turning her into the recurring character that Sara should have been could increase her appeal in the long term.

Yes, please.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 11

If only...btw, which review called Laurel a sociopath? I really want to read it,but I can't find it

The ComicBookResources review had the "manipulative sociopath" line:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/01/29/arrow-recap-midnight-city/

The Starpulse review had the "monster" line:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/Adam_Bellotto/2015/01/29/arrow-recap-10-shocking-moments-from-m?page=2

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

They're doing it in one episode.  A hero's journey should be.. well, a journey, not A Day In The Life.

Brandon Routh On Ray's Feelings For Felicity, How Oliver's 'The Man!'

"Obviously, there's a whole issue of people being concerned with Ray being stalker-ish and I've thought… a decent amount about it and the thing about it is, at the beginning, he just wants the best brain in the business. So he's not stalking her because he wants to be with her or for any weirdness that way. It's because he wants the best brain in the room to be a part of his company, which I guess could still be considered stalking, but is not the more scary kind of stalking," Brandon told Access. "But, I think that's why it hits him and why he's shocked by it when the kiss happens, because it's all wrapped up in this appreciating her brain and her talent, that [he's] not really seeing his true feelings. And so now, he's having to figure out how that works for him because he has kind of bottled all that up since his [fiancee] died."

Didn't his fiancee just die less than 6 months ago??

"Not the scary kind of stalking." Once again, I want to give everyone The Gift of Fear. Look, I appreciate what BR's trying to sell me here, but I am not buying. Maybe if they had let this relationship breathe and hadn't isolated him so much, but they didn't and they did and I really hope BR/RP go over well on The Flash. Really, really hoping. Fingers crossed.

• Love 5