Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I didn't realize this IGN interview was already posted in the Spoilers thread.  It's probably where it should be posted because this interview was more spoilery than I expected.

Edited by tv echo

Marc G. Said it's not present Laurel. Why can't they just stop her altogether? She wasn't that important to him in the narrative of the show. It was only when she died she became important to her. Since when was she better than him? I'm so sick of the show changing its tune to appease a character or certain fans.

• Love 6

It's weird to me but I think only WM has a regular across the Berlanti verse contract and that was to ensure he was available for Flash and LOT. John Barrowman didn't even know about the contract change? I think he might have signed on to be a regular on Arrow again or perhaps with a credit when he appears. I think Katie has signed on to appear in the 3 shows but if she signs on to some other show they will make do with whatever her availability is when they are writing for her. 

(edited)

Barrowman was announced to have a WB Series Regular contract a few weeks back. It makes sense given the role both Cold and Malcolm will play this year.

KC was announced as having a "deal to appear across all 3 shows".  The Media have taken to assuming it's the same type of deal as Miller and Barrowman, I do not believe that's true.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
(edited)

MG liked an article that that referred to her as signing a Series Regular contract along with KC also liking an article referring to her as a series regular and no one has come out (yet) to say other wise. It would be an easy fix if they thought people took it the wrong way.

Barrowman must've known since he will be spending a lot of time on LoT, even Papa Flash was announced as having the same deal not to long ago.

Edited by Primal Slayer
23 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Barrowman was announced to have a WB Series Regular contract a few weeks back. It makes sense given the role both Cold and Malcolm will play this year.

KC was announced as having a "deal to appear across all 3 shows".  The Media have taken to assuming it's the same type of deal as Miller and Barrowman, I do not believe that's true.

John Barrowman said he found out about the new contract through the media. Which I find interesting. Though I was told that series regular usually just means some kind of show credit along with first dibs on time. All 3 will probably get a special guest star credit when they actually appear on the shows. I'm not sure it matters anyway since Cold and Laurel are dead-dead. Cold will probably be from an earlier point in time and will eventually start changing good and decide on an amnesia pool at the end of LOT season 2. Laurel will be dreams, Flashbacks and evil BS. S1 of LOT had a flashback aspect along with time travel. I can see that still in affect for one even with Rips family being dead and the Hawks gone for now. 

Yeah I really don't understand how Barrowman could have found out through the media like he said.  I'm NOT saying he's lying.  I just don't understand how that would happen.  How would you not know?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah I really don't understand how Barrowman could have found out through the media like he said.  I'm NOT saying he's lying.  I just don't understand how that would happen.  How would you not know?

Yeah, you'd think someone would've said "this is for all three shows" before he signed the contract.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I have no idea since he knew he was in negotiations. I kind of find it hard to believe that his manager, agent and lawyers all kept it hidden from him. 

I've got to side-eye his comments, sorry.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, I just....did he maybe think it was just for Arrow and come to find out it was all three? *shrug* I don't know.  I mean, you'd think that would have been mentioned somewhere along the way, like @apinknightmare said.  I mean...."Surprise!" Wow.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

Have they made it clear that present day LL is dead? If so then she will only be used for flashbacks or alternate versions. Or if I'm lucky it will mostly be used for the rights to use her pictures or likeness for the statue. 

6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

MG liked an article that that referred to her as signing a Series Regular contract along with KC also liking an article referring to her as a series regular and no one has come out (yet) to say other wise. It would be an easy fix if they thought people took it the wrong way.

Barrowman must've known since he will be spending a lot of time on LoT, even Papa Flash was announced as having the same deal not to long ago.

1. No such deal was actually announced for Papa Flash/John Wesley Shipp; that was from a pre-SDCC article speculating about upcoming SDCC spoilers/announcements. So far the spec in that article hasn't panned out, though

Spoiler

Shipp is in the Flash sizzler reel and will be appearing in the Flash premiere.

2. I realize this will sound as petty as hell, but in what will doubtless be a failed attempt to deter months of discussion of this, for the record, I just checked, and on Twitter, at least, Marc Guggenheim hasn't liked anything, including the announcements made about other Legends of Tomorrow characters. Katie Cassidy liked an article that referred to her as a series regular, but the only article she retweeted was the ET one that uses the term "deal," not series regular.  

3. Regarding Barrowman, since this deals with slightly spoilery things:  

Spoiler

None of the spoilers have told us whether or not he'll be spending "a lot" of time on LoT - just that he'll be appearing on LoT.  That could be anywhere from one episode to 16 episodes.  

• Love 7
(edited)

He didn't like it but he did tweet it and they say she is a series regular in the article so unless he doesnt read what he tweets (totally possible) then she got the same deal it would seem.

And I don't think that KC is going to retweet every article about the announcement. The tweet she retweeted came before social media outlets picked it up.

Edited by Primal Slayer
(edited)

What does it even matter? Paul Blackthorne's a regular, and he gets about a total of 10 minutes of screen time. Barrowman got about an hour last year. Doesn't regular status just mean she has to make herself available whenever they need her? Someone will likely tweet about her being on set, so anyone who cares about seeing her will know when and where she's appearing. Problem solved.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 9

All that matters to me is I don't have to see KC every week. She's not in the main cast for any of the shows. At most she'll be a guest star for a few eps here and there. 

• Love 10
(edited)

MG always tweets the CBR links. And while the article says regular it mainly is Katie has a "deal" to appear on LOT, Flash and is in the series premiere of Arrow.  It just feels different than with WM because that happened right after Snart's death. Though I'm really thinking that these deals aren't as "series regular in the Berlanti Superhero verse" as the media makes them and they are more a deal to appear in all the shows. Series regular gives them a more important status on paper but it may or may not be a big thing.

Laurel's death probably will also be shown in the previously for whenever Sara has to deal with Damian or Malcolm. So having the rights to Katie's image is probably a key thing. Especially when there was rumored talk about maybe her image even being stopped use as a toy. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 5

I highly doubt it would have had anything to do with her image rights. She left on good terms and she probably didn't have as good of a contract as Shannen Doherty did (girl even owned like 10% of Charmed). 

Of course it probably isn't a big thing when it comes to air time on the episodes since even though they have actual series regulars on each individual show, half of them don't get any worthwhile screentime anyway. They are trying to have their cake and eat it to while building this big tv-verse and since this is somewhat new to them it will probably be in a state of flux.

Just a question....... are we all 100% certain she left on good terms? Because the company that took the photos of KC on her last day mentioned that she got fired for unprofessional behavior. Something that isn't out of the realm of possibilities considering I also heard she was fired from Supernatural and no one there ever wants to deal with her again (why else bring in Ruby 2.0)

• Love 1
(edited)

The fact that they are willing to bring her back to all 3 shows says a lot (to me).She has praised the writers even after they offed her, they have praised her.

Her time with Supernatural isn't that clear due to 2 stories but nothing that really makes it seem like she was flat out fired especially when Supernatural+females dont really mix well int he first place, but she is still friendly with J/J.

Kripke commented to TV Guide about Cassidy's exit, saying, "She's great, but this was unfortunately a financial decision — purely budgetary, because creatively she was terrific.  I have nothing but great affection for Katie, and she was great for the show.  It was a very difficult business decision about the realities we are in."

So why did Cassidy and the CW spooker part ways? At the time, series creator Eric Kripke cited "purely budgetary" reasons. Cassidy herself says, "Warner Bros. wasn't exactly sure what they were going to be doing with my character, and I had the option to stay or leave. When Harper's Island came about, I was really into it, so I asked them to let me go. Luckily, they did."

Edited by Primal Slayer
8 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Just a question....... are we all 100% certain she left on good terms? Because the company that took the photos of KC on her last day mentioned that she got fired for unprofessional behavior. Something that isn't out of the realm of possibilities considering I also heard she was fired from Supernatural and no one there ever wants to deal with her again (why else bring in Ruby 2.0)

What's your theory for why she's back now, if you think the rumors about her not leaving on good terms were true?

I'm just curious about your thought process about it.  I totally believed she didn't leave on good terms and was fired, but I based that on circumstantial evidence--like how much I don't like LL, how little I care for KC, and KC's unprofessionalism at cons.  I extrapolated the strong possibility that she was fired from all of that plus the rumors.

But, now that she's back in the universe in any capacity, it seems like she didn't burn any bridges. Of course, several on here have speculated that her new contract doesn't really mean she's back beyond minor appearances in each of the three shows to service other characters. (And by "service other characters," I didn't mean . . .I'm just going to stop there. ;-) Couldn't resist.)

I'm just bummed that she's back in any capacity. Ugh. There was a world-wide wake the night LL died, and I remember drunkenly and rather fondly singing "Bye Bye Birdy."

• Love 7

IDK I don't think that the offer KC has been offered is something that's to be gloating/worried about by anyone (not that anyone is). She went from being a female lead to essentially fired. Then she couldn't get her career rolling which is why she's happily taking crumbs from DCTV. I do consider this crumbs because I honestly don't think we'll see her much this season. I think that this is just a business decision to placate viewers and for LL's journey to have a proper ending on all shows.

IMO "Series Regular" doesn't mean it'll guarantee her having any relevance on any show. The writers definitely won't bend over backwards to incorporate her nor will they feel obligated to give her a certain amount of screentime. As others mentioned, JB only had 50 minutes of screentime as a regular, so it doesn't mean she'll be a fixture on every show. She could definitely have as little as say 10 minutes of screentime on each show this season.

I also think that because KC missed pilot season, she was given this offer to help her get through the next few months until she lands an audition. I definitely think that KC is getting the raw end of the deal here. But I suppose this is what she has to do in order to bring in some cash and to stay relevant in Hollywood.

• Love 7

The reason stated by the ep's when she was in the grave was that her story had run a full course and her death added gravitas.  DC does have a voice in what is done on the show, see the Suicide Squad and Amanda Waller.  With as much as would have been involved in having her killed, I just don't think any of this announcement has anything to do with a return of her as a living, main timeline Black Canary or Laurel Lance. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, foreverevolving said:

I suppose we'll know better when the season starts and we'll get to see if she's still in the main billing or not, and if she is what spot she'll is.

We'll definitely see it in the premier. I'm guessing it'll be a "special guest appearance" credit. 

I mean they're making a

Spoiler

statue out of her character.

She isn't coming back to life lol. I'm not worried. At least not for Arrow. For LoT I can see her being a big part of a couple of episodes because she's directly tied to Sara's storyline. But that's about it. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

IDK I don't think that the offer KC has been offered is something that's to be gloating/worried about by anyone (not that anyone is). She went from being a female lead to essentially fired. Then she couldn't get her career rolling which is why she's happily taking crumbs from DCTV. I do consider this crumbs because I honestly don't think we'll see her much this season. I think that this is just a business decision to placate viewers and for LL's journey to have a proper ending on all shows.

IMO "Series Regular" doesn't mean it'll guarantee her having any relevance on any show. The writers definitely won't bend over backwards to incorporate her nor will they feel obligated to give her a certain amount of screentime. As others mentioned, JB only had 50 minutes of screentime as a regular, so it doesn't mean she'll be a fixture on every show. She could definitely have as little as say 10 minutes of screentime on each show this season.

I also think that because KC missed pilot season, she was given this offer to help her get through the next few months until she lands an audition. I definitely think that KC is getting the raw end of the deal here. But I suppose this is what she has to do in order to bring in some cash and to stay relevant in Hollywood.

You don't leave a series on "bad terms" only to be back in business with them less then 6 months later, regardless of how much potential screen time she'll get. And her career opportunities have been open for just about that long, not as if she went 1+ yrs not landing any new acting gigs. Colin didn't automatically jump from Arrow to a new series regular gig when he was killed off.

2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

You don't leave a series on "bad terms" only to be back in business with them less then 6 months later, regardless of how much potential screen time she'll get. And her career opportunities have been open for just about that long, not as if she went 1+ yrs not landing any new acting gigs. Colin didn't automatically jump from Arrow to a new series regular gig when he was killed off.

Actors/Actresses who create problems will always find a way to get jobs regardless of how problematic they are as long as it makes good business sense. I'm not saying KC is talented as Juliana Margulies but she's been offered roles even though she's difficult to work with because of her 'name' in hollywood. The network probably thought handing KC a deal would be good just in case any of the writers needed her for flashbacks or to push Sara's story along or to be a one off villain again in the Flash... Not only does this make sure she's available for all of this, but this was probably the cheaper option for the network. 

Objectively speaking, I'm not sure about her career opportunities being that open if she's willing to do car shows (bottom of the barrel) and Amazon live shows... Sorry but those aren't career moves that seem enviable. That would be like me going from working at CNN to me working at a High School Paper. And I doubt Cassidy wanted to scrape the bottom of the barrel so willingly like that. I think her ability to land roles are becoming slimmer and slimmer considering her age and  the only way to alleviate the issue she's going through is to stay relevant by being a guest in the DCTV-verse. 

Anyways... That's my PoV on this whole mess. I kind of feel sorry for Cassidy because taking this deal seems kind of desperate... Hopefully she lands a recurring role when pilot season starts again.

(edited)
39 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Colin didn't automatically jump from Arrow to a new series regular gig when he was killed off.

Colin went back to NYC, immediately landed a part on a production that started that summer, and has been busy ever since, on stage and on TV. He also squeezed in a couple guest star roles on various shows, which is what one would expect for a working actor. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Colin went back to NYC, immediately landed a part on production that started that summer, and has been busy ever since, on stage and on TV. 

LOL well there you go :p  

I also feel like it's worth saying that it's acceptable for some actors/actresses to not land a role immediately. It isn't acceptable for a C-Grade actress nearing her 30s to not get a role because Hollywood sucks... After KC passes 30 years of age it'll definitely be infinitely more difficult for her to get a job.

I think it'd be a foolish move to stay with DCTV for KC because it's a dead end for her (considering I doubt they'll be willing to up her role again). So once pilot season starts I expect her to be booking a lot of auditions. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Actors/Actresses who create problems will always find a way to get jobs regardless of how problematic they are as long as it makes good business sense. I'm not saying KC is talented as Juliana Margulies but she's been offered roles even though she's difficult to work with because of her 'name' in hollywood. The network probably thought handing KC a deal would be good just in case any of the writers needed her for flashbacks or to push Sara's story along or to be a one off villain again in the Flash... Not only does this make sure she's available for all of this, but this was probably the cheaper option for the network. 

Sorry but Julianna's pinky toe has more acting talent in it than KC will ever have. KC is not a good actress.

Regarding Jules "difficult" rep.. that has to be a very recent thing. I have been following her career, though not super close, for 16 years now- I have never heard any rumors of her being difficult in any way!. I firmly believe that this so called difficult reputation is simply her gaining confidence in her position as the leading star of her show and not being afraid to ask for things she deserves.- same as i'm sure SA does (difference is Julianna is-was- on a major network show and has multiple Emmy's and GG under her belt). And it is probably partly happened because she is a woman- hollywood is nothing if not sexist.

17 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

LOL well there you go :p  

I also feel like it's worth saying that it's acceptable for some actors/actresses to not land a role immediately. It isn't acceptable for a C-Grade actress nearing her 30s to not get a role because Hollywood sucks... After KC passes 30 years of age it'll definitely be infinitely more difficult for her to get a job.

I think it'd be a foolish move to stay with DCTV for KC because it's a dead end for her (considering I doubt they'll be willing to up her role again). So once pilot season starts I expect her to be booking a lot of auditions. 

For someone who can act? yes may be foolish. but as far as we can see there have been no other solid offers for her. I don't know why she got this deal, how she managed to score it and I really would rather she just disappear.. but I can understand why she may have taken it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Really? You haven't heard about the Julianna Margulies/Archie Panjabi "feud" and how they filmed their goodbye scene in split screen? That was a big deal - even I heard about it and I've never watched one episode of The Good Wife. 

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)
14 minutes ago, foreverevolving said:

Sorry but Julianna's pinky toe has more acting talent in it than KC will ever have. KC is not a good actress.

Regarding Jules "difficult" rep.. that has to be a very recent thing. I have been following her career, though not super close, for 16 years now- I have never heard any rumors of her being difficult in any way!. I firmly believe that this so called difficult reputation is simply her gaining confidence in her position as the leading star of her show and not being afraid to ask for things she deserves.- same as i'm sure SA does (difference is Julianna is-was- on a major network show and has multiple Emmy's and GG under her belt). And it is probably partly happened because she is a woman- hollywood is nothing if not sexist.

For someone who can act? yes may be foolish. but as far as we can see there have been no other solid offers for her. I don't know why she got this deal, how she managed to score it and I really would rather she just disappear.. but I can understand why she may have taken it.

LOL of course Julianna has more talent in her pinky toe than most CW actors... But that wasn't really my point. Sorry if the wording was off. I just mean that hollywood hires problematic people all the time. Julianna, though she's gained a problematic rep, will get a role whenever she wants because she's talented and has made a name for herself. It just makes business sense.

On the flipside, for KC it makes business sense to keep her around not for her talent but to keep her disposable so the writers can use her anyway they want and not have it be an issue in regards to scheduling. It's probably a cheaper option than having her guest star 3+ times on each show. Therefore it makes business sense regardless of whether she's problematic or not.

Edited by wonderwall
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Really? You haven't heard about the Julianna Margulies/Archie Panjabi "feud" and how they filmed their goodbye scene in split screen? That was a big deal - even I heard about it and I've never watched one episode of The Good Wife. 

I didn't hear anything about a split screen, but I do remember coming across some rumors that either it was said by AP or someone in the crew or the article writer that JM and AP didn't get along very well and that it caused tensions on set. Either way.. that does not label one Difficult.

Difficult is not being ready when it's time to shot, not remembering ones lines, being mean to co workers (be it actors or crew members), talking shit about said co workers in the media or in fan gatherings and so on- I have never heard any rumors that JM did any of these things!

Also for all we know the reason for the split screen may have been due to a scheduling conflict.

But I won't go any deeper cause this is off topic to this thread topic..

JM is an awarding winning actress with a respectable resume and proven track record of quality work.

KC is a few car shows away from being a washed up CW has-been. Of course she took the Berlanti Deal, everyone needs to make $$ - it's better than living off of cons.

• Love 1

I was thinking that this contract is a way for the EP's to ease some of the backlash that came with the departure of LL/KC.  It provides them with an avenue to slowly ease her out of the narrative little by little until the character is completely done in the Flarrowverse by the end of S5.  

That's assuming that the deal KC got is only for the coming season and not covering future seasons as well.

• Love 1

This is the only thing I'm gonna say about it, 'cause I really don't care, but every single rumor of leaving on bad terms re: KC was about the crew up in Vancouver. They're not the ones offering her a Warner Bros contract.

• Love 2

Whatever KC's new deal is, it's less than it was before. LL is not coming back in the present. She'll only be used when needed. Which I think is actually better than being shoved into places where it's unnecessary.  

• Love 3
(edited)

In the panel video Wendy says the following: "We have made a deal with her across Arrow, Flash & Legends, so KC is not gone from this universe." She never mentioned any status. At this point I think we'll have to see hows she's billed to really tell. I still think she'll be billed as a special guest star. Either way, I don't care if she is on Flash or LOT, I don't watch either and we know she'll only be on Arrow in flashbacks, so I'm good.

Edited by JJ928
(edited)

You may wish to read the rest of the interview (nothing real spoilery, I don't think)...

Exclusive Interview with Arrow’s Echo Kellum
Annie Worsman  July 23, 2016
http://talknerdywithus.com/2016/07/23/exclusive-interview-with-arrows-echo-kellum/

In many ways, Curtis and Felicity are very similar, but what do you think Curtis brings to the table, to the series, that is new and unique, different from any of the other characters?

I think you go through a lot of traumatic events throughout the course of a show and I think you see that in the character growth and development, like how they have darker moments sometimes. For example, Diggle and Andy, but I think Curtis brings some light to the show. He’s dealt with his own personal loss with his brother. I think he just has this wonderful optimism that is kind of infectious that I feel really shines amongst some of the darker parts of Arrow. And I love those parts of Arrow too and it’s good to have juxtaposition. Felicity definitely used to be that point, but through her character development, she’s changed.

A character should experience different things and have different points of view throughout. I think that’s important because you don’t want a character to stay stagnate, we would be bored with that. We want to see a character go through stuff. I feel like Curtis definitely brought that light factor this season and that is what differentiates him.

Edited by tv echo

I think Curtis brings some light to the show. He’s dealt with his own personal loss with his brother. 

Has he? Did he mention it in S4 or will it come up in S5?

I think his brother was mentioned as part of why he is who he is in during a conversation in s4. But I could be wrong. I feel like it was mentioned at some point, especially in the middle of the season.

10 minutes ago, kismet said:

I think his brother was mentioned as part of why he is who he is in during a conversation in s4. But I could be wrong. I feel like it was mentioned at some point, especially in the middle of the season.

I vaguely remember something like this as well.

• Love 1