Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Entertainment Weekly loved "Uprising" and seems on board with the Malcolm rehab train (unsurprisingly MG posted this article link on his Twitter page)...

Arrow  Ep. 12 | Aired Feb 04
Posted February 4 2015 — 6:49 PM EST
BY CHANCELLOR AGARD • @CHANCELLORAGARD
http://www.ew.com/recap/arrow-season-3-episode-12/2

I've only quoted Moment #1 below...

'Arrow' Recap: 10 Incredible Moments From 'Uprising'
Adam Bellotto  February 5th, 2015 10:43am EST
http://www.starpulse.com/news/Adam_Bellotto/2015/02/05/arrow-recap-10-incredible-moments-from

1. A Falling Out With Felicity!

It's safe to say no one saw this coming. Oliver's finally back from the dead and he can be with his true love, Felicity. And she is so not excited to see him. Something to do with that "teaming up with a known serial killer" thing.

Oliver's definitely going to train with Merlyn (that storyline's too juicy to pass up), so what becomes of Olicity? Will she hate him indefinitely? Will she come around? Will Team Arrow ever be the same? Don't toy with our emotions like this, "Arrow."

Edited by tv echo

The eagerly awaited Vulture review - the whole article is worth reading...

Arrow Recap: Reunited and It Feels So Meh

By Jenny Raftery

http://www.vulture.com/2015/02/arrow-recap-season-3-episode-12.html

-- Snarks on male characters coming back from the dead (Oliver, Malcolm, Slade, Deadshot, Cooper), but female characters staying dead (Shado, Moira, Sara): "What’s a girl gotta do to come back from the dead around here?"

-- Notes that Roy and Laurel's increased presence has relegated Diggle to second-chair communications.

-- Notes Tatsu's "super-chic haircut".

-- Compares the big fight to West Side Story: "When you're a Glade, you're a Glade all the way!"

-- Says "Oliver's 'love' is an empty promise."

-- Confesses to being an Olicity fan: "Even though I would love Oliver and Felicity to put their mouths all over each other, I am very okay with Felicity telling Oliver in this week’s episode to buzz off, and in fact, I love Felicity all the more for it."

Thank you! I've been waiting for the Vulture review. I really wanted to hear a female perspective.

The Bleeding Cool review (I've listed the six moments below)...

The Six Important Moments From This Week’s Arrow
Posted February 5, 2015 by by Dan Wickline
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/05/six-important-moments-weeks-arrow/

1 - We find out Brick killed Rebecca Merlyn.
2 - We find out Quentin knows Roy is Arsenal.
3 - Ted Grant and Sin return.
4 - Oliver talks Malcolm out of killing Brick.
5 - The Arrow speech on top of the police wagon moves Oliver closer to becoming the Green Arrow.
6 - Sin tells Quentin that the BC is not Sara.
Bonus - Team Arrow turning down Malcolm and then Oliver deciding to train with him pushes Oliver and Felicity even further apart, and also shows us that the Oliver who left to fight Ra's is not the same one who just came home.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This review makes the point that the "Uprising" episode was all about facing the consequences of the choices you make (entire article is worth reading, a few excerpts are quoted below)...

Arrow “Uprising” Review (Season 3, Episode 12)

by Jessica Breaux  February 5, 2015
http://www.tvequals.com/2015/02/05/arrow-uprising-review-season-3-episode-12/

Felicity was steadfastly against [partnering with Malcolm]. Not just because she didn’t think it was something Oliver would want to do, but also (and I think she pointed this out) she had to be able to live with herself afterwards.... I understand they were desperate, but at the same time, it doesn’t take but a little drop of poison to kill you. And Malcolm is poison.... Dig was absolutely right that if they chose to work with Malcolm out of desperation then they would suffer the consequences of that decision later.
Malcolm cares about Malcolm. That’s why Oliver’s choice to work with him is such a bad idea.  The only thing that really separates Oliver from Malcolm is the fact that Oliver still cares about people. He still cares about the welfare of Starling City. He still cares about, well, everything. He hasn’t completely lost his humanity yet, but working with Malcolm will push him closer and closer to doing just that.  Oliver’s primary struggle this season has been trying to find a way to balance being Oliver Queen with being The Arrow. Working with Malcolm will undoubtedly force Oliver to embrace more of the brutality and darkness of The Arrow while slowly but surely smothering Oliver.  When Tatsu told Oliver that the only way to defeat Ras is to give up that which he holds most dear, I’m sure Oliver thought she meant Thea or Felicity. But in truth, they aren’t what Oliver holds most dear. Even if he doesn’t recognize it yet. I’m with Felicity that Oliver needs to find another way to defeat Ras because nothing good will come from Oliver working with Malcolm Merlyn.
Felicity didn’t seem so much angry as she seemed disappointed. She expected more out of Oliver, but once again, Oliver’s head is shoved firmly up his rear end. Felicity spoke the truth when she said that every woman Oliver has loved has suffered (in one way or another) at the hands of Malcolm Merlyn. Now Oliver wants to train under him. Oliver saying that, shattered Felicity’s hopes that Oliver would change. It’ll be interesting going forward to see whether what Felicity said actually resonates with Oliver or whether he chooses to continue walking the dark path with Merlyn.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Yes, @TVecho, I'd like to thank you, too. You always find so many interesting reviews on sites I didn't even know they existed :-)! So "Danke", "Merci" and "Muchas gracias" :D

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 6

OK, you're welcome and thanks - I'll keep going. :)  Here are a few shorter reviews...

'Arrow' 3.12 "Uprising"
http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/58471/arrow-312-uprising/

The other sad bit was Felicity's final, heartbreaking confirmation of the breakup between her and Oliver. And ten thousand #Olicity fans wept. When she said "I don't want to be a woman that you love," it hurt, man. It hurt. She was a big part of Oliver clawing his way back to Starling City, but she's tired of the BS.

I'm wondering if this will spark her jumping ship to Central City (as fans have speculated), or how it will change the dynamic in the Arrowcave. I would like to see some of the "old" Felicity back, where she smiles and jokes and isn't crying over some superhero boy or another. She's a genius, she's a strong woman, let's get back to that.

ARROW Recap Season 3 Episode 12 Uprising
http://www.seat42f.com/arrow-recap-season-3-episode-12-uprising.html

Diggle does what he thinks Oliver would do, and what is the more noble thing, and that’s refuse Malcolm. It may make Team Arrow’s job tougher, but it makes sense.
As Oliver comes back, he strikes up a deal with Malcolm. He can be forgiven for doing so because he has a very different perspective on things than his team, with additional knowledge about who Malcolm is and was. But it’s also easy to see why Felicity and Diggle would feel betrayed, thinking they were upholding Oliver’s righteousness and being disappointed that Oliver himself will not do the same. Felicity, in particular, doesn’t give him a chance to explain, which again, is understandable because she’s experiencing very strong emotions upon learning Oliver is not dead, as she thought he was. All in all, it’s a messy return.

‘Arrow’ season 3, episode 12 review: Malcolm’s past; Felicity takes a stand
http://cartermatt.com/151376/arrow-season-3-episode-12-review-malcolms-past-felicity-takes-stand/

The show may have went a little too far at times trying to redeem a guy [Malcolm] that is hardly redeemable; then again, this is why Felicity Smoak is our voice of reason here. 

While Roy wanted to use Merlyn in order to kill Brick, she stood firm, saying that working with him is not what Oliver would have wanted. So for her to learn at the end of the episode that Oliver wanted to train with him to defeat Ra’s al Ghul, she was out … possibly completely. Is Olicity officially over? We’re not going that far; as a matter of fact, this may have been exactly what the two of them needed. This is the moment where she stops pining over him, and he actually has to do something to win her back for a change.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Nopeeee, they replaced John Campea with a guy who really likes Laurel and who has no compelling opinions tbqh. Quite underwhelming. will drop the show. 

I watched the show for about three minutes until they introduced this guy.  No personality, seems like someone they may have pulled off the street after asking 100 people if they like Arrow.

The Arrow After Show without John Campea is like Arrow without Oliver.   Just does not work.

• Love 3

I watched the show for about three minutes until they introduced this guy. No personality, seems like someone they may have pulled off the street after asking 100 people if they like Arrow.

The Arrow After Show without John Campea is like Arrow without Oliver. Just does not work.

What a shame. I actually thought about listening to see what they said after this episode but I really wanted to hear what john had to say! I listened to another arrow podcast a little last year but the girls voice was annoying and she was pretty fond of laurel so I ditched it.

This is not a review or news but it's a post from the same person who does those hilarious recaps on tumblr and I really liked what she had to say about Felicity/Olicity. Check it out if those two things interest you:

http://atom1cflea.tumblr.com/post/110176653506/i-have-a-question-because-i-need-to-know-if-i-am

My most favorite part:

What Felicity did doesn’t serve Olicity in the short run, and it doesn’t give Oliver what he wanted, but it isn’t meant to. What it DOES do is takes care of Felicity, which should always be her first concern and we as women are taught to put second. What it does do is establish a relationship boundary, which is so damned healthy and important I freaking APPLAUD it. What it does is set the stage for the eventual healing of her abandonment issues, because things are no longer happening to her. She is no longer reacting, but acting, and this is huge.

So do I think it has more to to with what her father did than what Oliver did? I actually challenge the parameters of the question, because I think it has to do with what Felicity Smoak needs and wants, and that is something that I am HERE FOR. Women with agency is my new Olicity, and until Oliver gets to this level, I am just fine with the wait.

• Love 12

I need a moment to talk about the only romance in my life I care about: Olicity. The world’s cutest couple is currently on hiatus—partly because Oliver is too afraid to commit, partly because Ray is just so darn charming, and mostly because Oliver is presently dead—but that doesn’t mean it’s kaput for the lovers. If you’re even the least bit familiar with Ra’s al Ghul, you can guess how the show will get around the sticky business of Oliver’s violent death in the midseason finale. Ray may make for a decent temporary Oliver replacement, but come on. I mean, really. Not nothing, not no one can sink the good ship Olicity. What makes their relationship/friendship work so well is that Felicity is never relegated to the clutzy secretary. She assists from her desk, but is a vital component to the Arrow team. She will never be able to fight like Canary, but she’s good at what she does and is highly respected for it by her friends. She’s another real character, one who feels like an actual person rather than a trope. If Felicity Smoak and Peggy Carter teamed up, they’d rule the world in days. (Someone write that fic!)

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2015/02/dont-touch-that-dial-midseason-superheroes

• Love 8

Another review of Uprising

Since the midseason break of Arrow, which saw Oliver Queen getting all kinds of impaled by Ra’s al Ghul, we’ve seen Starling City’s tenuous grasping to law and order slip to a fingertip and the remaining members of Team Arrow, including a so-not-ready-for-this Laurel Lance who’s taken up her sister’s mantle as Canary, or Black Canary for comic book purposes, have had to step up and try to pretend like everything was okay. Well, now with Danny “Brick” Brickwell having run roughshod over The Glades, and the police basically turning its back on the people, hope seems decidedly low. But in “Uprising,” we get to see the city taken back…actually in a very easy way. We also get to see Felicity Smoak take a moral stand as firm and unwavering as Stephen Amell’s abdominals.

For all the good Arsenal and Canary are doing in The Glades, they actually could use Merlyn’s help, since he now has a blood vendetta against Brickless. He proposing pooling their resources. Felicity is fervently against this. VERY fervently. Roy, after his talk with Thea, is in the “let’s side with Merlyn this once” camp, while Laurel is leaning yes and Diggle is leaning no. Ultimately, Diggle tells Merlyn that they don’t need his help, thank you, and Roy is seemingly okay with being outvoted. Felicity’s whole point is that Oliver would never allow such a merger, but he’s not there anymore.

Ultimately, it’s decided that they should get the people of the Glades to help them take on Brick and his criminals. This seems like a VERY bad idea, but Laurel finds Ted Grant, who is mad at her for leaving training to go vigilante already, and Roy goes to find Sin, who is only in this episode to narc on Laurel. More on that later. But, there gets to be a big in-the-street rumble between citizens, a few masks, and an army of hardened criminals. Seriously, this is an AWFUL idea. Ted Grant, a/k/a Wildcat, get his ass handed to him by Brick and it doesn’t seem like he’s getting up any time soon. Poor Ted, we barely knew ye. Or maybe he’ll still be around. Sin seems to be doing slightly better, and Arsenal keeps shooting Brick with arrows just as he’s about to shoot someone.

Aaaaaand when Oliver goes to see the gang, Felicity is obviously very happy to see him, until he reveals that Merlyn’s going to help him fight Ra’s al Ghul. There is no reasoning with her on this point. She feels like Oliver hasn’t changed at all after his ordeal, and if dealing with horrible people under the auspices of women he supposedly loves is his thing, she doesn’t want to be one of them… OUCH. Felicity Smoak, unwavering moral authority.

Ultimately, “Uprising” finished off the Brick storyline (I hope) and set up a new trajectory for the rest of the season, with Oliver training to have a rematch with the Demon’s Head, and Merlyn becoming a bit of a mentor to him, at least in the fighting sense. Felicity is NOT ON BOARD with any of it, and I could see her really pulling back even further from Team Arrow and joining up hardcore with Team Atom. And of course we’re going to have all that Sara’s Dead bollocks to deal with next time, because the episode is called “Canaries.” Take a look!

http://www.nerdist.com/2015/02/arrow-review-theres-an-uprising-but-mostly-from-felicity/

• Love 1

For the Arrow Aftershow did they get one of the bland guys from the other Aftershows? I tried watching some of them but they were so boring and just praised the shows without giving any actual opinions. 

I liked John Campea because he had opinions whether they were good or bad. It probably helped that he loved Sara and didn't like Laurel, but if Laurel did something he liked he would say it, same with Roy. So he wasn't just negative all the time as some of the commentators would say. If the show was good he would say it was good, if it was bad he would say that too and that's what needs to be said. No show is brilliant all the time, if they do something stupid or have the characters do something stupid or OOC, it should be mentioned. 

I just find it interesting how different the reviews and media reacted to the show last year. Last year it was being praised as a great show, the media was all over it. This year the only reviews I'm seeing are from random blogs while the other reviewers wait weeks before posting when last year it was posted right after the show ended or early the next morning, then some of have quit the show altogether or stopped reviewing it.  There are positive reviews but not near as positive as last year's reviews.

• Love 2

The review focused mainly on Malcolm, who was the focus of 312...

Arrow season 3, episode 12 recap: Malcolm Merlyn, friend or foe?
By Morgan Jeffery
Thursday, Feb 5 2015, 9:13am EST
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s206/arrow/recaps/a626937/arrow-season-3-episode-12-recap-malcolm-merlyn-friend-or-foe.html#~p3w9mXKCtJXyTs

'Uprising' though is thoroughly Merlyn-centric - even when he's not on-screen, practically every scene is about him.
But the euphoria induced by this success is swiftly undercut by an emotional sucker punch, as a furious Felicity rejects whatever feelings Oliver might have for her - because if he's willing to team with Malcolm, who has abused Thea's trust and had Sara murdered, how much is his love really worth?

That last cap pic.. hilarious.

Cause it looks like Oliver could be thinking that LOL. He's such an idiot! That's what so ironic ally true and sad about those last two caps of that review is Oliver and Felicity could be together right now lol

• Love 1

Arrow Season 3 Episode 12 Discussion: Is Felicity right or just being annoying?
https://girloncomicbookworld.wordpress.com/

A lot of people have been saying that Felicity’s behaviour in tonight’s episode was just annoying. Oliver Queen just came back from the dead and all this damn woman is doing is complaining! But I have to partly disagree and partly agree with those people.

Instead of being awkward and shy in the corner, Felicity has grown the confidence to actually express what she feels, and what she feels makes sense. It’s crazy that Oliver is going to team-up with the man who essentially killed his best friend and former love. And I’m glad Felicity’s character has grown to be more than just the girl that makes cute awkward remarks.

Although I can understand why some people would start finding her annoying now, and it’s the classic CW syndrome. The CW loves melodrama, so in order to get that they must make Felicity act all super dramatic and storm out so they can reach the climax to which she starts talking about their love and stuff like that. Obviously the love angle between the pair has become a big aspect of the show now, but I feel like instead of trying to achieve that CW melodrama, the writers should stick to the roots of the character.

And in that moment I don’t think Felicity would have been so dramatic (complaining about him making them believe he was dead, I mean come on that wasn’t his fault!). Instead I think yes she would have been upset but I think she would have also asked what his bigger plan is. She knows Oliver doesn’t trust Malcolm so perhaps he intends on double crossing him, and Felicity should have let Oliver explain himself instead of constantly cutting him off to continue her melodramatic speech.

Anyways this was just a small part of an otherwise pretty good Arrow episode, but inconsistent writing is what ruined the Laurel character in season 2, so lets not do that with Felicity as well in season 3.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

This whole review is worth reading...

TV REVIEW: ARROW, “UPRISING” (S3,EP12) – ARROW’S DARK KNIGHT RISES PROBLEM
Posted on February 6, 2015 by Kelly Konda
http://weminoredinfilm.com/

The people who make Arrow love comic books, or at least the big 3 producers do: Kreisberg, Guggenheim & Berlanti. All three of them had written for DC Comics in some capacity before creating Arrow and The Flash.  If all three of them had been on set together during the filming of “Uprising” I imagine they would have exchanged lots of high-fives and “Can you believe we get to do this for a living?” stares.
Arrow has far fewer resources than TDKR.  So, they paint in broad strokes, high-fiving each other over how cool it is without stopping to give us any kind of sense of who exactly the disenfranchised many participating in this uprising are. I looked at the collection of extras comprising Team Arrow’s army and asked, “Who the hell are these people?” The show’s answer is mostly “Those poor bastards who live in the Glades.”   The two non-regular character representatives of The Glades in this episode are Ted Grant and Sin, neither of whom have been seen or even referenced in it seems like forever.
Or at least I would have been giving the producers high fives if they had figured out a better way to incorporate Oliver’s return.
Well, Arrow’s way of prolonging Olicity is to make Oliver have to partner with Malcolm Merlyn to learn how to beat Ra’s al Guhl, which is just a supremely ridiculously scenario they’ve written themselves into. I recently caught a lapsed Arrow fan up on what’s happened this season, and she had one honest and super obvious question, “I don’t understand. Why doesn’t Malcolm just fight Ra’s on his own? Couldn’t he have challenged him to that same mountain duel?” I don’t think the show has given a sufficient answer beyond, “Well, clearly the actual star of the show is going to have to fight the big bad.”  Beyond all that, it feels like they are just spinning Felicity around this season...
I loved Katie Cassidy’s reaction when Roy revealed that Malcolm saved Thea at the train station the night of the siege. It was a classic, “Well, I didn’t know that, but I honestly have no idea how to react so I’ll just shuffle my feet.”
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Arrow Season 3 Episode 12 Discussion: Is Felicity right or just being annoying?

https://girloncomicbookworld.wordpress.com/

I'll disagree with the reviewer on one point - Felicity has always gone toe-to-toe with Oliver and called him out when she thought he was doing something stupid. That isn't something new that she's grown into at all. She's expressed her feelings about what Oliver's doing from the hot second she slipped into her chair in the foundry.

• Love 15

That We Minored In Film review referenced another review by Living the Geek Life:..

REVIEW – ARROW, “UPRISING”

https://livingthegeeklife.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/review-arrow-uprising/

Waitaminute, Team Arrow goes after the lead maniac controlling the Glades by fear and murder… and they leave Diggle behind but take Baby Canary?!?  That makes absolutely no sense.  I was so hoping to see Diggle step it up in both the leadership and action aspects with Oliver gone, but it’s like the writers have no idea what to do with Diggle sometimes.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

This writer is more optimistic than I am right now about what's coming for Oliver & Felicity...

Arrow 3x12 Olicity Heart-to-Heart: Oliver Returns!
MARILYN_PORTER  THU FEB 5 2015  11:30AM
http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2015/02/arrow-season-3-episode-12-olicity-heart-to-heart-oliver-returns

Also, don’t think I haven’t noticed that Laurel isn’t going by Black Canary yet.  I predict the Black (which obviously in this case is going to be a reference to mourning) will come after Quentin is told the truth (or finds out) and subsequently dies.  Then she will be fully in mourning and will become Black Canary.
For some reason Dig stays behind in the foundry again, leaving Arsenal and Canarry to go out into the field.  With Felicity running the comms once more, it doesn’t make any sense to have Dig stay behind.  He has more tactical knowledge than Roy and Laurel combined (plus some!) and to send the newbies after the Big Bad is ludicrous.  This was my one big stumbling block for the episode. Dig needs to be in the field!
Dig sides with Felicity against letting Merlyn help them fight Brick, and I breathe a sigh of relief.  If we can’t expect Felicity and Diggle to be the voices of reason against a bad guy like Merlyn, then I don’t know this show very well.  Dig tells Merlyn he doesn’t want to become like him. 
Oliver follows after her for probably the first time in their entire relationship.   She sees his association with Merlyn as him abandoning his principles.  Oliver doesn’t think that’s the only reason she’s upset and he’s not wrong.  She says she fantasized that he was alive and that when he came back that he would be ready to do things differently.  Between them?  Yes.  Wow, so basically Felicity just admitted to having dirty sexy dreams about Oliver.  Okay, I’m okay with that.  That’s fine. 

Seriously though, she’s clearly disappointed that, yet again, he’s not choosing her.  Before he left, he told her he loved her.  Now, he comes back and wants to team up with Malcolm?  The man responsible for corrupting his sister, a woman he loves and also responsible for the death of Sara, a woman he used to love?  If that’s what being a woman Oliver loves means, she doesn’t want it.  She walks off and Oliver looks wrecked.  Me, I think this this the best angst I’ve seen in a long time. The writers are setting up the resolution right before our eyes.  Our ship is sad now, but just wait, shippers.  Just wait.

It's coming.

Edited by tv echo

A good interview with David Ramsey!!

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/06/exclusive-arrows-diggle-david-ramsey-talks-suicide-squad-and-gre/

I really found this part interesting. The article also talks HIVE & ARGUS.

Theres been a lot of talk recently on whether or not Diggle needs a mask. Some have gone as far to say they’d want you to be the Green Lantern, John Stewart. What are your thoughts on that? Does Diggle need a mask? Would you want to become the Green Lantern?

Diggle can be a husband, a father, and a hero. He didn’t go through some type of tragic event. He’s a guy who grew up in the Glades, which is the hood, he did four tours, and he joined the special forces. This is a guy that I can be, that you can be, that any of the viewers can be, unlike the others who went through some tragic event and compelled them to become these characters. Diggle did through simple sheer force of will. That’s survival with regular folks. I think that’s part of the power this character has. When you cover it with a mask, he becomes something. That’s why in general we’ve been struggling with, “How do we give Diggle a mask of any sort?” Obviously, he’s out in the open, he has a wife and a child to protect, there’s a fair question about how we protect that identity and still keep him out in the field. That’s a very fair question and we’re working on it.  

Now, John Stewart… Is John Diggle John Stewart? I cannot say “yes,” and cannot say, “no.”

Oh, come on!

I’m serious! I do know that there is serious discussion about whether or not this guy becomes John Stewart. But, I mean, I’ll say this: it is top secret. David Ramsey has asked them, and they’re like, “we’re working on some stuff.” If that’s the case, it’s gonna be huge. This is the stuff they want to avoid. I think they don’t want anybody to know yet and they haven’t even told me. They have told me that they are thinking about it and they are considering it. Greg Berlanti told me that. Andrew and Marc have told me that. I haven’t spoken to Geoff Johns about it, yet. But that’s the word from people directly involved in Arrow- that they’re working on something.

Here’s the truth of it: if I knew, I would tell you I knew and I’m not at liberty to tell you that. I probably wouldn’t tell you anyway! I would at least tell you that I know. But I honestly do not know.

Edited by JJ928

Maybe they aren't allowed to use that specific Green Lantern and are considering making Diggle a new version?

I find the idea of Diggle turning into a comic book mask wearing person really strange. I don't know what to make of that and had no idea it might be in the works. Edited by Shanna

This is a great review.  It points out the Good, the Not So Good, the Bad, and the Awful about "Uprising"...

Same Geek Channel Review: ‘Arrow’ Episode 312 “Uprising”
Posted on 7 February, 2015 by Corrina Lawson
http://geekdad.com/2015/02/geek-channel-review-arrow-episode-312/

The Awful:
–John Barrowman’s flashback haircut.

–Oliver deciding that Malcolm and only Malcolm can train him to defeat Ra’s Al Ghul. Oliver has Barry on literal speed-dial. Even if he’s reluctant to send Barry into grab Ra’s and show how easily his fortress can be broken into, Oliver also has the Star Labs team in Central City and he has Ray Palmer. Why play Ra’s game? Why not throw out the rule book and take out a more powerful opponent in an unusual way. Science team to the rescue! Oliver has prep time, he has people with knowledge, and he has allies. He doesn’t need Malcolm to defeat Ra’s Al Ghul.
This episode showed why I originally loved Arrow and why I’ll probably give up on this show after the season. It mixes the awesome moments with staggeringly stupid character decisions that I assume are driven by the need for the plot to go in that direction. No amount of cool action can make up for characters being twisted into pretzels for plot.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 11

That is very on target. I'm annoyed by the characters being twisted for plot reasons this season. I knew I probably wasn't going to like the Black Canary arc. I was hopeful, but I was prepared for that. It's everything else that's bugging me at this point - bad writing, OOC moments for everyone, etc. I'm trying to give it some time, but the show is really on a downhill slide this season. The best episode by far was the Flarrow crossover but it presents the exact problem this review pointed - that it makes no sense to team with Malcolm when Oliver has other allies he could call. And let's face it - Arrow has a problem with taking plots too far. Example 1 - I might have bought Laurel forgiving Oliver for cheating once, but not for being a serial cheater or for sleeping with her sister. Example 2 - I could buy a redemptive arc for Malcolm, even after the Undertaking, but not after what he did to Sara and Thea. They just take it too far, and that will probably affect every character on this show at some point - and once they start damaging the characters I really like for plot, I'll be out

• Love 7

This is a very different, Felicity-centric, philosophical take on "Uprising" (entire article is worth reading)...

Arrow Ep. 3.12 “Uprising” finally begins to pick up steam for the season’s second half
Posted on February 6, 2015By Randy Dankievitch
http://www.soundonsight.org/arrow-season-3-episode-12-uprising/

As with the previous episodes lacking Oliver Queen, “Uprising” is mostly a showcase for Felicity, who is able to express all the frustrating contradictions that come with trying to be a “hero” – or at least, a man who makes reckless, short-sighted decisions that end up working in his favor. That debate permeates the core of “Uprising”, kicking some big season three stories into gear, and finally feeling like the show’s gathering momentum again.
... but it’s that second act, where Felicity is coming to terms with the futility of trying to understand what Oliver is thinking, and Team Arrow comes up against the limitation of their inspirations’ (admittedly flexible) moral code, where “Uprising” really carries its weight..
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

If you feel frustrated with "Uprising" (and the show in general), you have to read this review by WeWatchForThe Plot.  I wanted to post the entire article, but - you know, copyright laws - so I just posted a few excerpts (for purposes of commentary)...

Uprising
February 7, 2015   Kerry
https://wewatchfortheplot.wordpress.com/2015/02/07/uprising/

Everything is so bad right now, I don’t even know how to write about it.... We got to hear all about how Thea is now Malcolm’s redemption, except for the fact that he already ruined her. And Oliver just nods like this is totally normal language!...  Felicity’s been fighting for the Right Thing since Oliver left, she and Diggle are holding the party line, but as the city falls into more chaos, Roy and Laurel have considered making exceptions.  Felicity shouted them down.  And then Oliver comes back and the first thing he says is that he’s going to team up with the monster Felicity’s been facing down for weeks. It’s unimaginable....  This is not Moira — this is not shades of right and wrong meshing and mixing in a gray area, this is black and white, this is manipulation and emotional abuse and Oliver actually making a decision that will turn him from an every-man hero into an Advocate for the Greater Good. And as Diggle rightly pointed out to Merlyn early in the episode — that makes him no better than Merlyn himself.

So ultimately, by the time the last scene rolled in and Felicity was standing alone in the alley as Oliver wandered over to her, I was done. I was livid, I was over it, and I was ready for the whole thing to implode. I’m so tired of this season, of the choices Oliver has been making for no good reason, of our beloved characters becoming warped versions of themselves… I was done.

I can put myself in Felicity’s shoes and picture falling out of love with Oliver Queen in that moment. Here is a guy who, despite the blood on his hands, I thought was a hero. I fought for him. I defended him to cops, to friends, to family, even to myself. He always did the right thing. He saved lives. He loved his mother and his sister, he defended his father’s honor, he chose not to kill in the name of his deceased best friend. He loved me back. He believed in me. He saved me. He armed me for a takedown, and I followed through. Things were good, and then they weren’t, and he pushed me away. I had to choose how to feel, and I tried to move on, but one of our close friends was killed, and that changed everything — that changed him. Suddenly he stopped believing in the good of people. Suddenly he started aligning himself with a criminal. He went to his death even when he knew it would hurt everyone, even when he knew it would leave his sister in the care of a psychopath. But he went anyway, and I asked him to fight, and he died. I mourned. I thought he was gone, but deep down, I wanted him to be alive, I wanted him to fight back and come back to me and decide life was worth living in the light, that being in the streets and in battle wasn’t fulfilling anymore, and maybe he deserved better… But he came back, and he said, “I’m going to work with Malcolm Merlyn.” 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 21

Honestly, as much as I hate that it's come to this - to me being glad the show is getting bad press - these are serious writing pitfalls and they could conceivably ruin the characters and the show. Constructive feedback can be a good thing, so I hope it makes the writers take a second look at what they've done this season, and that it makes them consider whether these were the best writing choices to make. Unless we're building to a moment where Oliver has to admit he's wrong about trusting Malcolm in any capacity, or to one where we find that Oliver has another agenda altogether, I'm not hopeful about this season turning out well. If it's all just building to another Ra's showdown so they can pat themselves on the back for cool comic book fights, I'm not going to be happy. They'd just be repeating mistakes they made with the Deathstroke/Slade story, really.

• Love 9

This is from the WeWatchforthePlot review (which I'm a fan of):

The funny thing is, I’m not angry about any of the things I expected to be upset about. I really, honestly thought that this batch of episodes would be hard for me primarily because of Laurel ascending to the Black Canary, but this week, she was the most inoffensive part of the whole episode. There was a snafu with her when it seemed like she actually wanted to team up with Malcolm Merlyn, but ultimately she cast her vote correctly, and my tiny bit of faith was restored in Laurel.

I'm confused because didn't Laurel and Roy cast their votes to work with Malcolm?  But Felicity and Diggle cast their votes against working with Malcolm, so their choice won out in the end.  I remember Laurel asking Felicity "Did we make the right choice?" which I thought was funny because no Laurel, you and Roy did not make the right choice.

I was so busy facepalming over all the Malcolm nonsense and the pod people masquerading as Thea, Roy and Laurel that I don't think I even noticed that line. Maybe it was meant to imply that she changed her vote in the end? I can't bear to rewatch any of these episodes to verify that though. The first viewing was bad enough :(

I was so busy facepalming over all the Malcolm nonsense and the pod people masquerading as Thea, Roy and Laurel that I don't think I even noticed that line. Maybe it was meant to imply that she changed her vote in the end? I can't bear to rewatch any of these episodes to verify that though. The first viewing was bad enough :(

Yeah, that line confused me too. I think it was meant to show that she changed her vote, although why she would have I'm not quite sure-she seemed pretty adamant about it.

Oh man, WeWatchforthePlot always do spot on reviews, every single time. But I actually think Oliver has to make the wrong choice now otherwise he's never going to learn. This is part of the fight for his humanity and it's going to get worse from here before it gets any better. I expect it to be frustrating until 318 at least.

Edited by Guest

I don't know if Laurel changed her mind in the end or if she's just allying herself as a part of Team Arrow.  It was Diggle's choice whether they aligned themselves with Merlyn, he didn't have to convince Laurel or Roy to change their vote.

I'm not expecting things to get any better in 318 either; it's not as sweeps episode.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

Didn't Roy say he or they had been outvoted? Which confused me because there were 4 people there. 

I've tried to block most of this episode out of my brain but I was thinking about Roy defending Merlyn this morning and I still can't wrap my head around it. Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he utter the words that Malcolm cares about The Glades? I'm just sad that the guy who went out on his own to help protect the people of his neighborhood (after being a thief but I'll disregard that) is now even thinking about partnering with the same guy responsible for destroying it. Plus Thea, Sara and every other horrid thing Malcolm's done. To think my biggest problem with Roy was him parkouring all over the place.

• Love 1

I don't know if Laurel changed her mind in the end or if she's just allying herself as a part of Team Arrow.  It was Diggle's choice whether they aligned themselves with Merlyn, he didn't have to convince Laurel or Roy to change their vote.

I'm not expecting things to get any better in 318 either; it's not as sweeps episode.

It was my impression from the comments made that Laurel voted to not work with Malcolm. She wanted to strategically use him as a weapon, essentially set him on Brick. It seemed like she wanted to manipulate him into going after Brick without her & TA getting involved at all. When it came to actually working with him, I don't think she was willing to do that. Last ep she was the one that reminded people that MM was a lying liar, so I don't think her opinion has changed. That is why I think she was YAY for using Malcolm but NAY for working with him. Small distinction, but huge reflection of character & strategic planning. Also perfectly within LL character, where she tends to use people more than she works with them.

So in the end, Roy was the only one that I think wanted to work with MM, and that seemed to be misguided by the crazy talk he was speaking after talking to Thea. It's almost like MM has now created a hypnotic perfume that Thea must wear, that makes people around her temporarily forget what MM did and who he is, and somehow make him seem like a misunderstood good-guy stuck in bad guy clothes. Cuz really where did Roys speech come if not from some type of drug induced haze from Thea.

• Love 2

Positive review of "Uprising"...

Arrow’ Review/Recap: “Uprising”
Posted on February 8, 2015   Nora Dominick ‘17
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2015/02/08/arrow-reviewrecap-uprising/

Rickards and Haynes are arguably the two biggest surprises on Arrow. There acting skills have exceeded expectations and it’s hard to imagine an Arrow universe without the two of them.
This small encounter between Laurel and Ted was beautifully acted and added a tear-jerking component to an already heartbreaking episode.
Rickards delivers the crushing blow and Amell’s face has fans on the floor crying. Their chemistry on screen is further proven with this encounter. Although fans may be devastated, Felicity did come from a place of genuine love. Fans can see that Felicity thought Oliver was going to come back and want to build a life. This is a broken-heart talking.

The only critique for the episode? Not enough John Diggle. Diggle has been an intricate part of Team Arrow from day one and in the past several weeks he has taken a back seat to Laurel becoming the Canary. He has been used as a plot device to further Laurel’s story with Roy and Felicity. Here’s hoping Diggle begins to take a bigger role now that Oliver is back in town.

Edited by tv echo

I did not get that Laurel had changed her vote. If Laurel decided not to work with Malcolm that already was 2 against 1 and Diggle wouldn't have had to vote. The promo info said Diggle was the deciding vote. I think the original team carried more clout and when Diggle spoke, he and Felicity's votes outweighed Roy and Laurel's.

The comment Laurel said about did we make the right decision, I took that as her still questioning the final choice. Logistically it makes no sense for Laurel to have changed her vote unless she did it after Dig came out on Felicity's side.

• Love 1

I thought I had already posted this, but I guess not - I've quoted a few excerpts below, but the entire review is worth reading...

Arrow S03E12: What worked, what didn't, and what needs to happen next
Laura Hurley   February 7, 2015
http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-s03e12-what-worked-what-didn-t-and-what-needs-to-happen-next

The bizarre rapidity of Laurel's ascent into the role of Canary was tempered by removing her from the spotlight, and that she and Roy together struggled to keep a lid on the chaos made it somewhat easier to suspend belief. "Uprising" proved that as long as Black Canary is kept as Supporting Canary, Laurel's vigilante metamorphosis might not be as hard to swallow as many viewers feared.
Oliver didn't even need to appear on screen in the melee to improve the sequence. His very proximity raised the stakes of the entire episode, demonstrating yet again Amell's ability to own a scene without any gurning or theatrics. The man has a screen presence that cannot be taught, and never has it been more clear that he carries the show on his delightfully broad shoulders than in the Danny Brickwell trilogy.

Amell wasn't the only one to turn in a stellar performance. Emily Bett Rickards imbued an underlying bitterness to the majority of her scenes, creating a Felicity Smoak that had never before appeared on screen and yet still felt perfectly natural. Felicity carried on with the mission, snapped out a few clever quips, and managed a few fabulous wardrobe changes even as she continued to mourn. The disgusted disdain as she refused to stand and grant even an empty courtesy to a monster of a man was satisfying to the extreme, and it came as a surprise that Malcolm Merlyn failed to spontaneously combust after prolonged exposure to her death glare. Felicity's steadfast belief that Merlyn should not be trusted or dealt with in any friendly capacity was a bright spot of consistency in an otherwise muddled episode, and her refusal to compromise that belief even when faced with the big sad puppy eyes of Oliver Queen was a testament to her own distinct brand of heroism.
Everything about the reunion and confrontation of Oliver and Felicity was exactly what the narrative needed....  the layered nature of their story that has made them so heartbreakingly compelling demanded more of them than a makeout session with Roy and Digg high-fiving in the background.  It had to be so ugly and so painful and so honest that the depth of their feelings for each other - no matter how they are expressed - could not be called into question.... Oliver was being a dummy, and Felicity was reacting without an emotional buffer, but the obstacle between them is real. That will make all of the difference in the execution of their relationship in the rest of the season.
Worst of all, the attempts to sell Malcolm's redemption to the audience via Oliver's acceptance ruin the hero far more than bolster the villain. Felicity was not wrong in her final accusations at Oliver. Malcolm Merlyn is the only reason why Ra's al Ghul is a threat to Oliver or Thea; for Oliver to overlook all of Malcolm's terrible crimes - including Tommy's death, Sara's murder, and Thea's corruption - to be trained by him is contrary to everything established about his character.
"Arrow" nowadays feels more like a launching point for possible spinoffs than the story of Oliver's growth from Hood into Green Arrow.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

This review is very negative toward Felicity.  I don't agree with it because the writer seems to view Felicity as someone who's just holding Oliver back and causing problems for him, and omits any mention of how she's helped him and fails to understand that she's had reason to be emotional lately.  Apparently the writer thinks that she should just support the hero, Oliver, unquestioningly and occasionally crack jokes - but whatever...

Arrow Season 3 Episode 12 "Uprising" Review!

by Sean Donovan ⋅ Posted on February 4th, 2015 at 11:14pm

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/05/arrow-season-3-episode-12-uprising-review-2661605?lt_source=external,manual

This is odd - another reviewer at that same website (MoviePilot.com) posted a different review of "Uprising"...

"The Emerald Archer Rises" / Review of Arrow - "Uprising"

by Owen Paul Sloane - Posted on February 5th, 2015 at 7:35pm

http://moviepilot.com/reviews/2015/02/06/the-emerald-archer-rises--2-2662902?lt_source=external,manual

Emily Bett Rickards was great as always but she really shined here, oh yeah and Laurel is the Black Canary now because reasons.

However the moment that I really found interesting was how Felicity was angry with Oliver, whenever the hero returns after an absence usually everyone welcomes him with open arms, but of course most of the time when the hero returns from an absence he doesn't start working with his arch enemy.... I thought this was a great episode with a lot of good character development, particularly from Merlyn, that had many great moments, but it's the last 15 or so minutes that make this a fantastic episode and it was a great ending to The Emerald Archer Rises Trilogy. (Somebody please make that a thing)

Edited by tv echo

""Arrow" nowadays feels more like a launching point for possible spinoffs than the story of Oliver's growth from Hood into Green Arrow."

This is what had been pissing me off about ray. The flash was inorganic too but at least at that point feleciity having a flirtation with him fit in and grant was ok and didn't live in the same city so it fit ok. This ray thing just screamed "spin off possibility" and they've given him way more time and he's more intrusive. And they did it the same season they are trying to do black canary and really, that leaves no room for Oliver. So ita with that review!

• Love 9