Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Surprised at how little they talked about Roy, and how much they talked about The Flash.

Well, Andy is the host of the Flash Podcast, so that might be a reason for that.

I'm actually surprised to find a pro-Felicity article posted at TV Overmind (I agreed with most, though not all, of this article)...

Arrow’s Laurel/Felicity Divide: Why I Still Loved Felicity Smoak in Season 3

By Laura Schinner on Jun 8, 2015

http://www.tvovermind.com/arrow/arrow-season-3-laurel-lance-felicity-smoak-divide-why-i-still-loved-felicity-smoak-259436

ETA:  From what I've read, most of the writers at TV Overmind, like almost all of the writers at MoviePilot, tend to be pro-GA/BC and anti-Olicity, anti-Felicity except as supporting comic relief (though they might not say it outright).

Both Laura Schinner and Chis King have actually been pretty supportive of both Felicity and Olicity. And I tend to take King's articles a little bit more seriously because he's the managing editor and not a random contributor.

• Love 3
(edited)

Laura Hurley next takes on Ray...

Arrow Season 3 Roundup: What worked and what didn't with Ray Palmer

Laura Hurley   June 10, 2015  3:56 PM MST

http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-season-3-roundup-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-with-ray-palmer

That Ray was able to construct a supersuit that enables him to fly and take down jets in midair and electrocute whosoever he finds particularly irritating on a given day was disrespectful to the hero of the series. Oliver had poured his blood, sweat, tears, and soul into his mission; Ray recruited Felicity to do most of the work to get the suit to be much more than a hunk of metal that sucked up the entire special effects budget. The ATOM didn’t mesh with the established tone of Arrow. Both Routh and the character worked far better over on The Flash. From the moment that Ray pulled up a hologram of the suit, his entire existence on Arrow felt like a ploy for launching a second spinoff.

The Felicity of the Ray/Felicity romantic relationship was almost unrecognizable from the strong young woman whom audiences had come to know. The manufacture of an external love triangle far less compelling than the preexisting Felicity/Oliver/Arrow conflict twisted her into somebody who would accept and even welcome Ray's continually inappropriate behavior.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

Ray is the actual worst, and he definitely made Felicity worse.  I will never, never, never understand why she went back to him and APOLOGIZED after he spent an episode condescending to her and all her friends, and trying to kill/imprison two of them.  I'm so bummed he's in LoT because I'd really like to watch it, but he makes me want to vomit whilst punching things.

• Love 11
(edited)

I'm giving Ray a fresh start for LoT, but he was absolutely horrible in episode 317. I mean he was bad, very bad. It was first time in a long time I really felt hatred & venom towards a character. But they did seem to make him a little better by the end of the season. But he still does fit better on Flash.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2
(edited)

Some S4 speculation...

'Arrow' Spoilers: 4 Major Plot Theories For Season 4, Oliver Turns Into Green Arrow And More

Fashion & Style   16 hours ago

http://www.fashionnstyle.com/articles/64734/20150611/arrow-spoilers-4-major-plot-theories-season-4-oliver-turns-green-arrow-more.htm

It was an okay speculations. nothing we haven't discussed already. I got pissed at her #1 speculation about Felicity handing the company back to Oliver and him making her the VP to which there is only one respond:

tumblr_mf43zsZ4Sp1ray00p.gif

My Queen is THE Queen.. she bows to no one!

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 11
(edited)

Tweeted by Frenchywood yesterday (although it sounds like the interview was done right before the S3 finale aired) -- I only quoted the Arrow-related parts...

Interview with Katrina Law
http://frenchywood.com/interview_katrina_law_en.html

Did you have to do a specific training for your role in Arrow or / and in Spartacus?

On Spartacus I was a part of the gladiator boot camp that trained us with the basics of sword play, knife fighting, and fight choreography.  On Arrow, when time allows, we spend time learning the fights as well, In general though, as an actor, there is a lot of time spent in the gym.

Did you have an archery background? How good are you now with a bow and arrow?
My archery background mainly consist of the training I did for Spartacus when I played Mira, slave turned archer. That being said, my father has a Varsity letter in archery and has trained me a time or two to be able to hit a bulls eye. So I think it runs in the family.

Who is the best archer in the cast?
Stephen Amell is by far the best archer on set. He is very dedicated to his role as The Arrow and takes it seriously. He is also self-admittedly extremely competitive so he wanted to make sure he was a good shot in general in case he was ever challenged.

Was it hard for you to master Nyssa's British accent?
I would say it wasn't hard considering the fact that I did a slight variation of it for Spartacus, but there are times when I get nervous and it becomes a challenge again.

What did you think of the relationship between Nyssa & Sara? Did you regret the way it was handled and ended quickly?
Sara is the love of Nyssa’s life. I think Sara randomly showing up in Nyssa’s world was one of the best things that could have happened to her.  Sara taught her love and laughter and compassion. Nyssa taught Sara how to survive. Of course I think it ended too soon.

I would loved to have seen them walking off into the sunset with a little family in tow, but sadly that is not the case. But in the comic book world no one is really dead until they are really dead…so you never know.

What did you think of wedding story line? Did you like having more scenes with Stephen Amell?
I loved the wedding story line. It was just so wrong on so many levels with so much drama involved and yet not out of the realm of possibility in the real world. It’s a very rare occurrence when I can read a script and be completely shocked by a plot point, and this one took me by complete surprise!

I have many scenes coming up with Oliver in the season 3 finale and most of them are epic.

What future do you hope for Nyssa?
I hope Nyssa finds a way to be happy. I hope that somehow Sara comes back to life and that they live happily ever after all while Nyssa takes her rightful place as the new Ra’s Al Ghul.

What is the cast of Arrow like? Who's the most practical joker on the set?
The Arrow cast and crew is an absolute joy to be around. Stephen Amell is the captain of the set and he establishes a great tone for the show and everything falls into place after him. As far as biggest jokster on set, that is without a question John Barrowman.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Laura Hurley responds to the following question...

What are the top three storylines in season four of Arrow you're most excited or curious about? And a bonus, which character arc are you most excited about?
Jun 12, 2015 12:03 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/121356690440/what-are-the-top-three-storylines-in-season-four

Other recent postings:  http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo

It was an okay speculations. nothing we haven't discussed already. I got pissed at her #1 speculation about Felicity handing the company back to Oliver and him making her the VP to which there is only one respond:

tumblr_mf43zsZ4Sp1ray00p.gif

My Queen is THE Queen.. she bows to no one!

Felicity bows to no one!! She should run Palmer Tech/Queen Inc Oliver can be VP or EA lol

• Love 2

Was it hard for you to master Nyssa's British accent?

I would say it wasn't hard considering the fact that I did a slight variation of it for Spartacus, but there are times when I get nervous and it becomes a challenge again.

Is Ra's supposed to have a British accent?  I honestly don't recall it.  I was all set to ask just where Nyssa picked up her accent when it occurred to me he might have had one.  Sadly most of Ra's al Guhl was forgettable for me.      

I'm not sure why any of the LoA would have British accents, other than to get the usual American reaction of "oooh, British accent."  Surely the accent should be closer to a central Asia one - India, maybe. Or, given what we now know about the location of their not all that secret lair, pure New Jersey.

• Love 7
(edited)

'Arrow' Star Emily Bett Rickards: 5 Things You Didn't Know About CW's Felicity Smoak
Peter Anthony , Design & Trend  Jun, 13, 2015, 02:13 PM
http://www.designntrend.com/articles/53835/20150613/arrow-star-emily-bett-rickards-5-things-you-didnt-know-about-cws-felicity-smoak.htm

'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell: 5 Things You Didn't Know About CW's Oliver Queen
Peter Anthony , Design & Trend  Jun, 06, 2015, 02:00 PM
http://www.designntrend.com/articles/53326/20150606/arrow-star-stephen-amell-5-things-you-didnt-know-about-cws-oliver-queen.htm

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

This USA Today article is about fan fiction, but I post it here because of the Arrow mention (personally, I think that producers and writers avoid fan fiction like the plague in order to preclude claims of copyright infringement)...

Must-read fan fiction for 'Firefly,' 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'X-Files'
Denny S. Bryce, Special for USA TODAY 12:06 a.m. EDT April 15, 2015
http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2015/04/15/denny-bryce-fan-fiction-firefly-sleepy-hollow-xfiles/25764897/

A somewhat surprising trend (at least to me) is the impact of fandoms and fan fiction on television programming. Of course, I'm not 1,000% sure about this, but the fangirl in me likes to dream (and dream big). So when a non-canon character such as Arrow's Felicity Smoak (played by Emily Bett Rickards) — who was not originally in the DC Comics — emerges as Oliver Queen's OTP, my fangirl heart goes pitter-pat. And who knows, "Olicity" may become even more canon soon. Another example comes from fans of Sleepy Hollow. They can take a little credit for recent changes to that show (I know I am!).
Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Felicity Smoak is a character in DC Comics, as a manager of a Computer Software firm who is connected to FireStorm. She's a minor character but she does exist in the comics. She is not an original character. While Arrow's Felicity doesn't share much with her comic counterpart, the same can be said with most of Arrow's characters. Their version of Oliver Queen is nothing like the Oliver from the comics and their Black Canary is most definitely nothing like the Black Canary from the comics. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Felicity Smoak is a character in DC Comics, as a manager of a Computer Software firm who is connected to FireStorm. She's a minor character but she does exist in the comics. She is not an original character. 

I think that person meant that she wasn't originally in the Green Arrow comics, not that she's an original character. 

• Love 1

This USA Today article is about fan fiction, but I post it here because of the Arrow mention (personally, I think that producers and writers avoid fan fiction like the plague in order to preclude claims of copyright infringement)...

You're right, and it makes me nuts when people seriously claim otherwise. If there are similarities between the source work and fanfic, it's because of tropes and because a good amount of fic is speculative so FF writers are bound to be accurate sometimes. Plus, what that writer is saying has nothing to do with fanfic. It's about fandom influence in general, and again, I disagree with her logic, but we don't have to rehash that.

• Love 7
(edited)

Almost all the characters on Arrow are not from Green Arrow comics since these writers keep using Batman as a base for this show. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6

Must-read fan fiction for 'Firefly,' 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'X-Files'

Denny S. Bryce, Special for USA TODAY 12:06 a.m. EDT April 15, 2015

http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2015/04/15/denny-bryce-fan-fiction-firefly-sleepy-hollow-xfiles/25764897/

I read the Firefly recommendation and then TRIED to leave a comment but lol, but the page announced it marked my comment as Spam.  Oh, LiveJournal, never change. 

And who knows, "Olicity" may become even more canon soon.

What do you suppose she means by that??

Maybe them actually being in a relationship? Since at that time Felicity hadn't told Oliver how she felt and they hadn't done more than kiss? IDK.

The article was written in April (before the finale aired) so it's safe to say that she meant that she was expecting them to be a couple by the end of the season.

• Love 1

This is really interesting (I think it's the first in a weekly series by this guy)...

The Arrow and philosophy, part one: the morality of vigilantism

Matthew Beard   June 16, 2015 10.32pm EDT

http://theconversation.com/the-arrow-and-philosophy-part-one-the-morality-of-vigilantism-43355

Thanks for posting this! It looks like it will be an interesting series. It reminded me slightly of the S1 DVD extra that spoke to the psychology/philosophy of right v. wrong & the Vigilante.

I love when you can look deeper into a show. There are many ways this show can illustrate the path & morality of justice. Everyone on TA got there in a different way and yet want to fulfill the same mission. But you can tell at times, its how they got to TA that influences their choices. I think for s4 the most interesting dynamic will be OQ vs/& Dig. Because I feel like their differences in philosophical training was apparent in the end of s3 - but moving forward they may actually cross moral paths again & find themselves on the other side of the lines they have drawn. And how they work back to each other & the balance they had in s2 will be worth watching & exploring.

• Love 1

Sounds like an interesting read. 

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-season-3-blu-ray-dvd-release-date-extras-box-art-more

SPECIAL FEATURES
·         Second Skins: Creating The Uniforms of Arrow
·         Nanda Parbat: Constructing The Villain’s Lair
·         Two Arrow Audio Commentaries
·         Arrow at Comic-Con 2014
·         The Man Beneath the Suit – Atom’s First Flight
·         Gag Reel
·         Deleted Scenes

Also for the Flash DVD one extra is 

The Chemistry of Emily and Grant Screen Test

which confuses me in so many ways. 

I wonder what the contingents were for EBR and GG's chemistry test. Surely they wouldn't have made a casting decision for the The Flash based on chemistry with a character dedicated to another show. Perhaps it was used to determine how he might fit with the Arrow characters during his short guest stint, with the hope that he might seem like a potential romantic rival? If that's the case, it would lend credence to Olicity having been an intentional and methodically planned couple for quite a while.

• Love 1

I don't get why they would feel the need to release that, almost 2 years later. Especially as both are paired with other people. Should be Grant and Candice. Also why they did it considering they weren't going to last. I'd think Grant and Stephen's read (if they did it) would be more important. 

• Love 3

I wonder what the contingents were for EBR and GG's chemistry test. Surely they wouldn't have made a casting decision for the The Flash based on chemistry with a character dedicated to another show. 

Yeah, the fact that they even had a chemistry read with EBR was strange to me, unless they were counting on people liking Barry enough to want a spin-off, but The Flash was already green lit at that point, wasn't it? 

• Love 2

Yup, they did screen test GG with EBR when he was hired for Arrow, there were mentions about their chemistry in interviews around the time he was hired. Also, at that time, he was being hired to do 3 episodes of Arrow -- the two episodes that introduced him, plus episode 20 of season 2, that was gonna serve as a backdoor pilot for The Flash. I think those plans changed super quickly after GG got the job, but it looks to me that if they had gone the backdoor pilot route and that hadn't turned into The Flash tv show, GG would have stayed as a recurring character on Arrow, probably as Felicity's love interest for way longer.

• Love 5

Thanks for the explanation, dancingnancy! It makes more sense now. I'm so glad that he was moved to his own show; his being a meta already renders the Arrow mostly useless. I realize Oliver has the training and strategy, but he still can't compete against super speed.

• Love 2
(edited)

My understanding is that there was no screen test with GG & CP. Grant simply read with Candice at her audition.   It might also be a selling point for Felicity fans who might not be into The Flash.

Based on a Berlanti interview in mid-season A2, I think the original plan was for Felicity to have an arc on The Flash at the beginning of their S1.  Things changed I guess and she had an episode and they decided not to go there.  He also said what @dancingnancy said about being recurring on Arrow.  They weren't letting Grant go if The Flash wasn't picked up.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 2

I guess I get the Iris' fans being all WHY IS EBR IN OUR DVD SET UGH [/accurate reenactment], but this was the chemistry test that GOT GRANT GUSTIN HIRED, and they're probably focusing on showing how the lead of the show got hired? Makes complete sense to me.

• Love 6

I prefer to think it was his acting ability that got him the job actually...as he was groomed for a pilot/show that didn't have her as a regular.

It's also strange because I've never seen a chemistry test as a dvd extra before. 

I'm still surprised that Grant didn't read with Stephen. 

(edited)

Wasn't he hired for a 3-ep run that turned into The Flash? So, his chemistry with EBR got him the spot on Arrow, and his actual acting and audience reception of him got him the spin-off?

Edited by apinknightmare

How would they put a spotlight on his acting ability in a *DVD extra* without filmed material? Hence the chem test he did with EBR.

I don't even believe in these guys stance on chemistry anymore now that they hired Brandon Routh and even said the exact same stuff about him as they did about GG, but they DID chem test GG with EBR, and that's actual footage that can be used on a DVD because they own the rights to it. It's basically getting a DVD extra for free.

• Love 2
How would they put a spotlight on his acting ability in a *DVD extra* without filmed material?

I didn't say that they should. 

I'm just not gonna give his chemistry with Emily any more than...30% of why he got hired.