Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

HOW DARE YOU I WAS JUST ABOUT TO TYPE THAT

This parallel... *sigh*

tumblr_nzd30sVaRL1qktm28o3_250.gif tumblr_nzd30sVaRL1qktm28o1_250.gif

tumblr_nzd30sVaRL1qktm28o5_250.gif tumblr_nzd30sVaRL1qktm28o2_250.gif

tumblr_nzd30sVaRL1qktm28o4_250.gif tumblr_nzd30sVaRL1qktm28o6_250.gif

I didn't think about this when I saw it but rather of Slade telling him, So... when her body lies at your feet, her blood wet against your skin, then you will know how I feel! And I mean, shit.

• Love 5

What I love is that it brings up the good counterargument (but Felicity was alright with it) with the very basic explanation (no, Felicity was only ok with it because the plot needed her to be ok with it so we could find Ray charming).

Even if I don't agree with all of it, I do appreciate the argumentative format, and it did summarize my basic problem with Ray (We didn't like him, but the writing was trying to manipulate us to).  

• Love 1

vigilantexarcher on tumblr wrote an essay the Ray/Felicity relationship and shared it on her blog

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNg5_gGWl3JdDM0Z2JmVXJwTjQ/view

Pretty interesting analysis summing up all of the popular arguments regarding Ray. Too much to quote so I'll just attempt to link.

You know I really didn't need to be reminded of why I disliked Ray so much. Episode 2 sealed it for me but reading his actions listed and the forms of abuse attached to them is shocking.

vigilantexarcher on tumblr wrote an essay the Ray/Felicity relationship and shared it on her blog

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNg5_gGWl3JdDM0Z2JmVXJwTjQ/view

Pretty interesting analysis summing up all of the popular arguments regarding Ray. Too much to quote so I'll just attempt to link.

Sorry but that's over the top, IMO.  Personally, I find some (not all) of the stuff directed at Ray to be a bit shipper biased, exaggerating his actions to make him the most horrible man that ever existed, he's a stalker, abusive, controlling, etc.  

What's fascinating is that you can find any number of Olicity fics that have Oliver/Hood/Arrow stalking Felicity back in S1-S3.  Having him follow her to make sure she gets home OK, having The Hood spy on Felicity in her home from another rooftop when he's out on patrol.  Quite a few S1 fics that had Oliver B&E Felicity's apartment to do "research" on Felicity before asking for her help.  Hell, in the Arrow 1.5 comics (written by MG) Oliver breaks into Felicity's apartment and leaves flowers/plants all of the place because her date was using her to get info (or something) and Olicity shippers point to that as romantic/caring Olicity. I don't even remember that much objection (there was some) when Oliver "forced" Felicity to be his EA in S2, in fact quite a few shippers loved it, calling it Pepper/Tony.  

ETA: I'm not trying to start anything so please don't take this personally, I know I'm in the minority on this one, I just see this differently than others. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 10

Not taken personally at all! Love discussions, myself.

I get your point. Personally, I kind of get weary with these kinds of analysis on Ray, since they do kind of project more into his actions than the writers intended. I just posted it because I love dedicated essays, plus I do admit that the writing was trying to shift the audience into liking Ray without him earning it first.

Honestly, I'll admit that my bias against him comes from the fact that he was a new love interest. The idea that he was coming on as a love interest and as a possible new lead in another show made me just see him, and many of his actions, as just placeholders until the time came to undo and erase everything. I became a bit tuned-out to him from the beginning since his first scenes involved lying to Felicity (yes, like Oliver did in 103 but she saw through it and helped him anyway) to steal the company from her friend (not like what Oliver did in 103, which was try to stop a bad guy even if he was the Hood). Ray and Felicity's first scenes were tainted to me, and it did just make me pretty impatient with a lot of his actions. Not impatient enough to write a 9-page essay about it, but annoyed just the same.

What's fascinating is that you can find any number of Olicity fics that have Oliver/Hood/Arrow stalking Felicity back in S1-S3.  Having him follow her to make sure she gets home OK, having The Hood spy on Felicity in her home from another rooftop when he's out on patrol.  Quite a few S1 fics that had Oliver B&E Felicity's apartment to do "research" on Felicity before asking for her help.  Hell, in the Arrow 1.5 comics (written by MG) Oliver breaks into Felicity's apartment and leaves flowers/plants all of the place because her date was using her to get info (or something) and Olicity shippers point to that as romantic/caring Olicity. I don't even remember that much objection (there was some) when Oliver "forced" Felicity to be his EA in S2, in fact quite a few shippers loved it, calling it Pepper/Tony. 

I've noticed that trend in FanFic as well. It is not one of my favorite interpretations on the O/F relationship. Because I feel like on the show, they went out of their way to show a healthy relationship from s1. They kept it from being this power interplay relationship, where OQ uses his power or position over FS, like so many other modern romanticized and often unhealthy relationships portrayed on TV/Movies/Novels. In fact, most of the time their relationship has always been showed to be balanced in terms of power and even at times will flip the gender roles. The one huge gaping exception is when he forced her into being the EA without discussing it with her. That to me felt like a writing fail in how they portrayed it. For plot purposes (even for RL purposes) it makes sense that he would need her close by and EA made a logical choice. But rather than forcing her to do it, so they could get the few quick quips & jokes (which were funny), they could have made it a mutual decision. But I can handwave that writing decision because it seemed like it was for time purposes that they wrote it the way they did.

I get your point. Personally, I kind of get weary with these kinds of analysis on Ray, since they do kind of project more into his actions than the writers intended. I just posted it because I love dedicated essays, plus I do admit that the writing was trying to shift the audience into liking Ray without him earning it first.

Honestly, I'll admit that my bias against him comes from the fact that he was a new love interest. The idea that he was coming on as a love interest and as a possible new lead in another show made me just see him, and many of his actions, as just placeholders until the time came to undo and erase everything. I became a bit tuned-out to him from the beginning since his first scenes involved lying to Felicity (yes, like Oliver did in 103 but she saw through it and helped him anyway) to steal the company from her friend (not like what Oliver did in 103, which was try to stop a bad guy even if he was the Hood). Ray and Felicity's first scenes were tainted to me, and it did just make me pretty impatient with a lot of his actions. Not impatient enough to write a 9-page essay about it, but annoyed just the same.

In all honesty, it seems like it was an essay written for a class. So perhaps the author was spending more time in elaborating on RP's actions to connect them to the purpose of the essay assignment. Some parts were definitely extreme examples.

As for RP character, for me it was more than just his actual written plot, it was also a lot how BR acted the character/story arc and the editing. That is what gave it more of the tainted creepy vibe to his character. It truly felt at times like they were saying he is perfect, so be very cautious around him & don't trust his actions. It felt like in crime shows when they start playing that music or do these quick edits before saying a heavily foreshadowing sentence.

But my biggest complaint is that he always wanted more from his interactions with FS, than she was willing to give. What she gave him was never enough to satisfy him and he would often do things to get her to do what he wanted in the first place. Like when he told her his mission was more about protecting her and not just about not feeling powerless anymore because of his fiance. That felt a little like manipulating the situation to get a certain emotional response. When he lied to her in his first scenes it was because he was manipulating her. OQ lied to her to keep his identity protected. To me there is a difference in lying to manipulate people when you first meet them and lying to protect a secret about yourself. It just sets the whole tone for the relationship. The other major red flag was that FS seemed like a different person around him than around TA. Anytime a person/character consistently acts like a different person around somebody they are in a relationship with is a major red flag and then I do have a tendency to over-scrutinize everything.

• Love 4

Regardless of whether people's anti-Ray stance is shipper-driven or not, I still believe that the show made a HUGE mistake in casting Brandon Routh because he managed to make Ray seem creepy. Like other posters have stated here, he has a tendency to look menacing (crazy eyes!) in his chosen facial expressions. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the stalker arguments are probably exaggerated because of BR's acting habits and facial expressions and not merely because he was an impediment to Oliver and Felicity. That's a big reason I'm not a BR fan. As an actor he has a hard time finding a happy medium between being bland as vanilla and full-on creeper in any given scene. Maybe in a different actor's hands, I wouldn't have loathed Ray as much as I do.

• Love 6

I didn't read the whole essay. It was a bit tl;dr for me.

Frankly, I think they dropped the ball not because of how Ray acted, I think he was mostly just extremely tone deaf, but in how they didn't allow Felicity to react to his actions. It's similar to how other characters don't call Laurel out on her actions. When somebody actually does it, I find her more tolerable in return. Because then the actions are recognized as what they are and not waved away by all and sundry.

• Love 2

I think the essay's point about giving "Romantic Beats" to Ray, that IRL could raise red flags, and trying to manipulate the audience into accepting this behaviour as positive, was valid. Romantic comedies and plot often hinge on very sketchy RL situations which the audience should, and generally do, hand-wave. Why it didn't work on Arrow was because we had a very well established character reacting in an OOC way, to these "Romantic" invasive gestures.

Aslo BR's Crazy eyes did NOT help.

• Love 13

The RAG ring

Really? It looks like a lump to me. Its shape reminds me most of a compact bow, but that's not it either.

Here's a bigger image without Malcolm in the way. I still don't know.

CWdihrxWUAAUJrQ.jpg

Edited by bijoux

This fan video is pretty good as well (poor Oliver!)...

oliver queen || "I thought the universe owed me one" (4x09)
Published on Dec 11, 2015, by Mrseclipse555

FYI, the "I thought the universe owed me one" quote comes from 1x08, when Oliver is talking to Diggle about Helena:

When her father killed her fiance, she changed into something dark and twisted. You see that now, don't you? It's not that I--it's not that I couldn't see it, Diggle. I didn't--I didn't want to. I'm living a double life, and to do that, I'm taking all these people that I love and I'm putting them at arm's length. I'm giving up a lot, so maybe-- maybe I thought the universe owed me one. But I looked in her eyes tonight, and I can't stop her from going over the edge. She's--she's already past it.

(source)

Edited by tv echo

Cute fanart... but Mr. Terrific looks like he showed up late to a Ghostbusters cosplay party. :)

I like some of the symbols, but some don't translate well into graphic art. MM's looks like bad sunglasses and DD just gets two boxes?

• Love 1

Heartbreaking mid-season finales affecting two of the most popular TV ships (though doubtful either show will destroy either ship this way) - warning: don't play video if you haven't watched MSFs yet...

CaptainSwan/Olicity - Impossible (+ Mid season finals)
Published on Dec 16, 2015, by CaptainSwanOlicity 91

Edited by tv echo

Again, I'm gonna need help with some characters. The three with the baseball caps, the kissing couple (Pacey and Joey since they're beneath the Capeside sign? Not a really good likeness), the guy next to Felicity, the redhead with cute hair and the couple with the baby.