Type keyword(s) to search

Carole Radziwill: She's a Real Princess!

• Start Topic

She doesn't even write fluff pieces anymore.  She writes Twitter entries.  And once this year, a Bravo blog.

I got all excited one day because she asked her fans on Twitter to check out "a piece" she did for some magazine.  So I followed the link and it was an interview someone wrote about her. 

She didn't exactly lie about doing "a piece", but like Lu saying Nicole and Adam were still seeing each other and planning a trip, she didn't exactly tell the truth either. 

I don't care if she writes or not but I wonder if she thinks she's nothing because she doesn't work outside the house.

• Love 5

I really should read "What Remains," then I would have a better idea. But so far, this is what I think: Carole was a television producer. NOT a writer. I took her side in the Aviva wars because at that time I thought Carole was a writer and I did not like Aviva. But now I think, for a number of reasons, that Carole may not have actually written the beautiful prose that so many love of "What Remains." In fact, I think she is a fraud. Yeah, yeah. I should read the book. But everything since then--she has no facility with language (not just with grammar), she is juvenile in many ways. ... well, never mind. If "What Remains" was beautifully written, as so many have said, I don't think it was Carole's writing. Eh, my opinion. I could be wrong.

• Love 2

I really should read "What Remains," then I would have a better idea. But so far, this is what I think: Carole was a television producer. NOT a writer. I took her side in the Aviva wars because at that time I thought Carole was a writer and I did not like Aviva. But now I think, for a number of reasons, that Carole may not have actually written the beautiful prose that so many love of "What Remains." In fact, I think she is a fraud. Yeah, yeah. I should read the book. But everything since then--she has no facility with language (not just with grammar), she is juvenile in many ways. ... well, never mind. If "What Remains" was beautifully written, as so many have said, I don't think it was Carole's writing. Eh, my opinion. I could be wrong.

I think you should read the book. I've read it twice now, both in one day. I say read it for no other reason than its a gut wrenching, beautiful and tragic love story.

ETA: I do not believe that Carole is necessarily a writer, I believe what she said in London at the church, that she's spent her life "winging it", but in What Remains, she did have an amazing story to tell. It's not the writing that makes it so good, it's the experience. It's the story, not the storytelling. IMO of course.

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 6

Carole is coming off as someone who is into chick fights.  Last year it was Aviva, this year LuAnn.

I didn't watch last season with Aviva so I can't comment on it. I did watch last season's reunion and didn't come away from it with a favorable opinion of Aviva.

I don't agree that Carole is into "chick fights" at all. She wouldn't be having this fight with LuAnn if LuAnn hadn't started it. LuAnn was the one who started throwing shade at Carole on Twitter. Now that they've gotten into it at the Reunion and the fans have seen the entire season, the vast majority of fan support is with Carole - not with LuAnn. Obviously, you feel differently and that is your right.

I won't comment on your young boy reference since the mods asked us to let it go but we disagreed on that point too.

• Love 4

I think you should read the book. I've read it twice now, both in one day. I say read it for no other reason than its a gut wrenching, beautiful and tragic love story.

ETA: I do not believe that Carole is necessarily a writer, I believe what she said in London at the church, that she's spent her life "winging it", but in What Remains, she did have an amazing story to tell. It's not the writing that makes it so good, it's the experience. It's the story, not the storytelling. IMO of course.

I do believe that a life event, whether happy or not-so-happy, can give some people a laser focus and clarity that can't be explained or maintained.  IMO, What Remains was one of those moments for Carole.  Like I posted upthread, I don't perceive her as a particularly motivated person. 

• Love 3

I do believe that a life event, whether happy or not-so-happy, can give some people a laser focus and clarity that can't be explained or maintained.  IMO, What Remains was one of those moments for Carole.  Like I posted upthread, I don't perceive her as a particularly motivated person.

I totally agree. I read one of the Amazon reviews and a line really stuck out to me, it was to the effect of it's almost as if the writer had to tell this story in order to survive. Carole kept everything so heavily buried during the five years that Anthony was dying, it's like she had to unburden herself or succumb to the weight.

• Love 4

No wonder Carole can't sell books a 21 year old is not a young boy. What a sleaze to accuse someone of such a thing. The woman is such an exaggerator.  Maybe she needs to get a grip so she can write without a host of helpers to keep her writings real.  Sad that Carole is such an angry feral little creature she has to shade her stories.  I always kind of hoped she would have a second success with her writings.

If Carole were that secure in her relationship with Adam she would not spend so much time and energy being so vitriol in regards to Luann.  Luann was nice to Adam giving him a job and exposure of RHNYC.  I guess he will never be accused of being a gentleman.  Why would Adam want to date such a nasty old woman like Carole?  Carole is coming off as someone who is into chick fights.  Last year it was Aviva, this year LuAnn. 

I think it's Lu is the one who has made this into something much more than it actually is.  I don't necessarily agree with Carole responding to it as much as she has but Lu has been the one that's throwing the vitriol.  I wonder how the niece feels about this all. 

Age is relative. To many, a 21 year old could be considered a boy.  My son has friends around that age.  Right or wrong, in many ways I consider them boys and I don't consider that any kind of insult.  In many ways they're mature.  In other ways, I see them naive.

• Love 4

OK, I am trying to keep an open mind. But I think that yes, Carole did had a heartfelt experience and she wanted to write about it. I am just not sure that she didn't have a lot of help writing it. I don't see anything in her that makes me think otherwise, but of course I could be wrong. (I am a fiction writer and an editor of nonfiction stuff, and don't have a lot of tolerance for people who say they're writers but can't actually write. Now, reporters are a different breed; they often are good reporters but not great writers. And vice versa. It's unusual to find someone who is a good reporter AND a good writer.)

• Love 8

I didn't watch last season with Aviva so I can't comment on it. I did watch last season's reunion and didn't come away from it with a favorable opinion of Aviva.

I don't agree that Carole is into "chick fights" at all. She wouldn't be having this fight with LuAnn if LuAnn hadn't started it. LuAnn was the one who started throwing shade at Carole on Twitter. Now that they've gotten into it at the Reunion and the fans have seen the entire season, the vast majority of fan support is with Carole - not with LuAnn. Obviously, you feel differently and that is your right.

I won't comment on your young boy reference since the mods asked us to let it go but we disagreed on that point too.

I agree.  I believe that Carole doesn't hesitate to defend herself when someone attacks her character - whether it is personal or professional.  

ETA:  breezy, ITA about the vitriol Carole can't seem to control.  I was thinking the same thing about Bookgate - Carole was like a dog with a bone.  For me, her beef with Luann is so convoluted that I see this going on for a long time.  Especially if Luann pushes Bookgate II.

Edited by Aunt Kiki
  • Love 5

Freckledbruh, I'm curious about your use of the word "prolific" wrt Carole's writing. Could you elaborate?

I'm also wondering what C would do for an income once this Bravo gig dries up. Frankly, i wouldn't have thought weekly or monthly columns would pay enough to live in NYC.

Oh, no! People are suggesting that Carole isn't a writer? Pass me the smelling salts! How dare you, you detractors! Writing is *what Carole does* (except, I guess, for the majority of time when she, well, doesn't). It's *who she is*. That she spent four decades of her life professionally invested in media other than long-form prose is non-germane; arbitrary metrics are only relevant when we're talking about the literary capabilities of others (that wasn't an essay *eye roll*, it was a letter to your dead mother) . . . And I'd have to agree that the past two seasons have established Carole as someone who relishes conflict. Sure, the Countess at her best is a snake and at her worst can be downright reprehensible (the "children" remark comes to mind). But Carole is on Twitter aggressively perpetuating and publicizing their dispute long after Lu's most bombastic salvos. Painting Lu as a villain for never offering an apology on social media and then literally in the next breath/Tweet sniffing that you "wouldn't accept her apology" even if she offered one is not a good look for anyone. Back in the TWOP days, someone (FozzyBear, I believe?) used the simile that watching Carole and Aviva fight was like observing a tangle over who *really* deserved the title of Omega Chi sweetheart. Carole constantly demeans others in her talking heads (her hard-on for Lu in her first season), to their faces (see the "letter to your mother sneer"), and occasionally lets her hunger for hating on the objects of her derision lead her into situations in which she gets egg all over face ("anyone over third grade knows" that "Indian" is "racist" but apparently ostensibly urbane journalists don't know what's colonialist and/or reflective of structural racism).

• Love 7

I think Carole is a journalist and producer.  And quite a successful one.  You don't just get a job with the ABC news division.  She's got three freaking emmys.  Getting into a major network news division or getting three emmys is no easy task.  I give her full credit.  She had a very respectable career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carole_Radziwill

Is she a writer?  Yes, she is an accomplished journalist.  Is she a great fiction author?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  There's a big difference between telling an event and telling a 'tale'.  Did she have 'help' writing What Remains?  Probably to a certain extent like all writers, but I think it's her story.  And I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with that. 

I also don't think there's anything wrong with Carole defending herself when attacked, which Aviva, and now Lu, has done.  It's human nature, especially when it comes to something that is close to one's heart.

• Love 9

Oh, no! People are suggesting that Carole isn't a writer? Pass me the smelling salts! How dare you, you detractors! Writing is *what Carole does* (except, I guess, for the majority of time when she, well, doesn't). It's *who she is*. That she spent four decades of her life professionally invested in media other than long-form prose is non-germane; arbitrary metrics are only relevant when we're talking about the literary capabilities of others (that wasn't an essay *eye roll*, it was a letter to your dead mother) . . . And I'd have to agree that the past two seasons have established Carole as someone who relishes conflict. Sure, the Countess at her best is a snake and at her worst can be downright reprehensible (the "children" remark comes to mind). But Carole is on Twitter aggressively perpetuating and publicizing their dispute long after Lu's most bombastic salvos. Painting Lu as a villain for never offering an apology on social media and then literally in the next breath/Tweet sniffing that you "wouldn't accept her apology" even if she offered one is not a good look for anyone. Back in the TWOP days, someone (FozzyBear, I believe?) used the simile that watching Carole and Aviva fight was like observing a tangle over who *really* deserved the title of Omega Chi sweetheart. Carole constantly demeans others in her talking heads (her hard-on for Lu in her first season), to their faces (see the "letter to your mother sneer"), and occasionally lets her hunger for hating on the objects of her derision lead her into situations in which she gets egg all over face ("anyone over third grade knows" that "Indian" is "racist" but apparently ostensibly urbane journalists don't know what's colonialist and/or reflective of structural racism).

LuAnn started the twitter war, NOT Carole. LuAnn started attacking Carole on twitter as soon as the season started airing, not during filming when this was all happening, not after they were done filming the regular season, only when it aired on TV. LuAnn was vicious and kept tweeting that we, the viewers, would see whatever in the "next episode", then it became we would "soon see" it and finally it was that whatever happened did so in "T&C", she kept changing her story and the timeline as the season played out on TV.

LuAnn is now quiet on twitter because she got shredded by viewers and Carole is blasting LuAnn on twitter in her answers to questions/comments by viewers.

• Love 2

It's comical at this point. It's truly as WireWrap said above: throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks.

Aviva first tried by dropping the name Bill Whitworth, a man who's an editor and pretty much disavows the short writing career he had four decades ago (like, to the point that he wishes he could remove his writing from the world). Now out of the blue LuAnn drops Carole's sister-in-law as the ghost writer for What Remains.

Heh. What's the saying? Haters gon' hate.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 7

Oh, no! People are suggesting that Carole isn't a writer? Pass me the smelling salts! How dare you, you detractors! 

Carole won a Peabody and three Emmys for her work as a journalist.

Those of you (including HWs) who can make the same claim, please raise your hand.

Hmmm?   No takers?

Case closed.

• Love 4

She doesn't even write fluff pieces anymore.  She writes Twitter entries.  And once this year, a Bravo blog.

I got all excited one day because she asked her fans on Twitter to check out "a piece" she did for some magazine.  So I followed the link and it was an interview someone wrote about her. 

She didn't exactly lie about doing "a piece", but like Lu saying Nicole and Adam were still seeing each other and planning a trip, she didn't exactly tell the truth either. 

I don't care if she writes or not but I wonder if she thinks she's nothing because she doesn't work outside the house.

Justice for Aviva!! Haha but seriously Carole is lucky that Aviva (and especially George) were so unlikable because some of what she said last season was just gross and messed up. It's when I started disliking her, even as I found Aviva pathetic.

• Love 2

Ryebread, it's been about 27 years since I worked in publishing, but I believe that a work's title cannot be copyrighted -- but I forget precisely why : ) 

Thanks.  Odd that they aren't copyrighted and odd that she chose the same title.  The other book was also about death.

Ryebread, it's been about 27 years since I worked in publishing, but I believe that a work's title cannot be copyrighted -- but I forget precisely why : )

Writer's Digest has fairly easily understood explanation.

I would have to just suppose that an author/Carole might choose an already used title because it just really speaks to their book's content. And I would guess that most don't choose someone else's title but find out after they have decided they need that title!!

What Remains is, to me, quite evocative.

• Love 3

I'm thinking there's very little that's protected in the literary world, when someone can take Jane Austen's work, make a parody of her characters and storyline, then use her actual title on his book - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. My cousin read it and liked it, but it offends me on so many levels, that I can't.

By the way, there's another book out that "steals" from the same novel. I don't recall the title, but the story is from the view point of the least known Bennet sister - Mary.

• Love 3

I'm thinking there's very little that's protected in the literary world, when someone can take Jane Austen's work, make a parody of her characters and storyline, then use her actual title on his book - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. My cousin read it and liked it, but it offends me on so many levels, that I can't.

By the way, there's another book out that "steals" from the same novel. I don't recall the title, but the story is from the view point of the least known Bennet sister - Mary.

Parody is protected generally under the first amendment and books written before the 1920s (in the US) are in the public domain.

• Love 6

The premise that Carole's Peabody and Emmys inherently preclude speculation about and judgment on her forays into long-form memoir and fiction (the media in which Carole contextualized writing as being synonymous with her identity) is reductive and simplistic. I'm happy that she enjoyed success and garnered accolades during her career in journalism. But does Julianne Moore's raft of Oscar nominations somehow automatically legitimize her facility as a theater performer? Sarah Paulson and Keri Russell each boast a Golden Globe - is there some formula that therefore positions them equally in terms of talent? Should only those viewers who have styled/produced a fashion show remark upon what Sonja has offered up for viewer consumption and response? All my subjective opinion, of course.

• Love 7

The premise that Carole's Peabody and Emmys inherently preclude speculation about and judgment on her forays into long-form memoir and fiction (the media in which Carole contextualized writing as being synonymous with her identity) is reductive and simplistic. I'm happy that she enjoyed success and garnered accolades during her career in journalism. But does Julianne Moore's raft of Oscar nominations somehow automatically legitimize her facility as a theater performer? Sarah Paulson and Keri Russell each boast a Golden Globe - is there some formula that therefore positions them equally in terms of talent? Should only those viewers who have styled/produced a fashion show remark upon what Sonja has offered up for viewer consumption and response? All my subjective opinion, of course.

And that's a point I made upthread.  She is a journalist and a writer and a producer.  Winning three emmys does support that.  That doesn't automatically make her a great writer of fiction.  Just like an Acadamy Award winner doesn't automatically make an actor a Tony winner.  

• Love 4

And that's a point I made upthread.  She is a journalist and a writer and a producer.  Winning three emmys does support that.  That doesn't automatically make her a great writer of fiction.  Just like an Acadamy Award winner doesn't automatically make an actor a Tony winner.

It also doesn't make her a great writer of long form nonfiction either.

Carole said in one of her talking heads that she's a better writer than she is a speaker and I found that odd.

• Love 2

It also doesn't make her a great writer of long form nonfiction either.

Except that there is no one who is taking credit for her best selling long form nonfiction book.  So, I will give credit until otherwise proven.

Carole said in one of her talking heads that she's a better writer than she is a speaker and I found that odd.

I don't find that odd at all.  Speaking is very different from having the time to form thoughts and putting it to paper.

• Love 7

That's often the case for many writers. Speaking is far more spontaneous than writing. With writing you can pore over your words, rearrange their order, rearrange points before sending them out into the world. That rarely, if ever happens, with speaking. 

• Love 11

That's often the case for many writers. Speaking is far more spontaneous than writing. With writing you can pore over your words, rearrange their order, rearrange points before sending them out into the world. That rarely, if ever happens, with speaking. 

Yes, i agree, but in this case, she was speaking during her talking heads and they must certainly have more than enough time to think about what they will say in their talking heads.  

Exactly! And when you're writing chances are you're not under a spotlight being filmed for national TV.

• Love 2

Wasn't Carole's original job in television???

Yes but she wasn't the one directly being questioned.

As a journalist she was either asking the questions or commenting.

• Love 1

Yes but she wasn't the one directly being questioned.

As a journalist she was either asking the questions or commenting.

Yes. Behind the cameras.

As someone who has done media training, I find it extremely hard to believe that Carole would be intimidated and unprepared speaking to camera in a job that she has had for years.  The fact that she used to craft questions for on air talent means that she would be even more prepared than her cast mates.  

• Love 4

As someone who has done media training, I find it extremely hard to believe that Carole would be intimidated and unprepared speaking to camera in a job that she has had for years. The fact that she used to craft questions for on air talent means that she would be even more prepared than her cast mates.

I think that's like comparing apples to oranges. Being behind the camera, crafting and asking questions about something you've researched as part of your job and is not personal is very different than spontaneously answering random questions about the HW's escapades with lights and camera pointed at you. Edited by AnnA
  • Love 6

I think that's like comparing apples to oranges. Being behind the camera, crafting and asking questions about something you've researched as part of your job and is not personal is very different than spontaneously answering random questions about the HW's escapades with lights and camera pointed at you.

It's not apples and oranges.  Also, she has been doing tis for like 3 or 4 years now.  "Lights and cameras" is definitely no excuse unless she was piss poor at her job and since she won Peabody's, we know that isn't true.

• Love 1

It's not apples and oranges.  Also, she has been doing tis for like 3 or 4 years now.  "Lights and cameras" is definitely no excuse unless she was piss poor at her job and since she won Peabody's, we know that isn't true.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

There's obviously no point in continuing this so let's just agree to disagree.

• Love 2

I'm not sure how much prep they can do for their TH interviews. Supposedly they are asked hundreds of questions over their 3 or 4 sit down interviews that happen over the season. They have no idea what will be asked of them, nor have they seen the upcoming footage when they do the interviews. They are asked tons of questions about things that we never see because they are edited out. Tamra once said they are sometimes interviewed for 8 hours at a time. I am sure there are times when they chose words they wish they could take back.

• Love 4

Largely-scripted reality and broadcast journalism are most definitely different beasts. 

As someone who has read several of Carole's celebrity interviews AND What Remains, I most definitely do NOT think she used a ghostwriter. The voice is very similar to me. I find her writing style to be kind of meandering and almost stream-of-consciousness/contemplative, and I think that type of prose wouldn't necessarily work as well verbally. It requires some editing to trim down and polish.

I don't find her talking heads to be particularly witty or insightful, but to me providing snark soundbytes on a reality show is a really inaccurate gauge for her abilities as a professional writer. An essayist isn't necessarily going to be good at writing punchlines for a sitcom, for example.

• Love 3

As someone who has read several of Carole's celebrity interviews AND What Remains, I most definitely do NOT think she used a ghostwriter. The voice is very similar to me.

Ghostwriters are supposed to follow the "voice" of the writer.  Teresa Guidice had a ghostwriter and the writing was very much in her "voice."   

• Love 2

Yes, i agree, but in this case, she was speaking during her talking heads and they must certainly have more than enough time to think about what they will say in their talking heads.  

The HWs have no idea what they will be asked prior to filming their THs. It is not like the producers give each HW a list of questions to go over before filming so they can prepare their answerers first. They also tell the HW what the other HW(s) are saying about them in their questions all in order to up the drama. Then the THs are edited to fit what the producers want and finally they are slipped into which ever scene they choose. The THs are used to amp up the women after filming ends so that the reunion has big drama/fights which pulls in more viewers. How many here would watch the reunion if everyone, the HWs, worked everything out by the season Finale. There would be no need for a "reunion" show at all if that happened IMO. This season, they were filming THs up to the day before the reunion was filmed, which is something new.

I think the RH have a pretty good idea of what is going to asked of them - they just lived it.  According to Alex about every four weeks they do their confessionals.  They bunch them up so they don't forget or the feelings are still pretty raw.  If one has an issue with Sonja chances are they will be asked about Sonja.  Alex also said the line producers are notorious for carrying stories back and forth.  So if Ramona says Sonja is ready to lose her house, to the others, chances are that message gets back to Sonja via a producer and may weigh heavily in how she treats Ramona the next time she sees her.  

Here is an example I do believe Luann was led to believe by producers that Carole and Heather were barging to find a guy in the room AND confront her about the naked guy upstairs.  From Luann's answer about a guy hanging from her back and swinging from the chandelier I feel much of that controversy is producer inspired and suggested.  I also believe the comments Luann attributes to Carole about Heather being on a rampage are off camera comments and Luann was left looking dishonest.  The producer are probably pretty safe in betting Heathole or Carheat will back each other's play.   

I do recall Tamra saying it can take eight hours but that included make-up and changing outfits because they need o make the confessional look as if were at the same time as other confessionals.  This year they didn't even try and make it look real.  It was fairly obvious there was a re-edit and change of direction once Bethenny was getting booed off the stage so to speak.  Also, I think they filmed some Carole ones later because she would otherwise be inconsistent with her claims that she thought she and Luann were friends.  Carole started dumping on Luann early and often. 

• Love 2

As someone who has done media training, I find it extremely hard to believe that Carole would be intimidated and unprepared speaking to camera in a job that she has had for years.  The fact that she used to craft questions for on air talent means that she would be even more prepared than her cast mates.  

Not necessarily. 

I think that Andy Cohen is a good example. He's got a degree in broadcast journalism. He spent years behind the camera on various news shows as a producer. As a person in front of the camera, however, I don't find him to be the best or prepared to be quite honest.

• Love 4

Ghostwriters are supposed to follow the "voice" of the writer. Teresa Guidice had a ghostwriter and the writing was very much in her "voice."

I have no idea if she used a ghostwriter, but it is my understanding that sometimes people tape-record their memories, and ghostwriter uses that, along with meetings to discuss things, to write the memoir. So it is the person's voice, and even their actual words. But the ghostwriter can put things in more order, edit, etc.

Edited for typos, I do so hate Apple auto-correct!

Edited by Mrs peel
  • Love 2

I think the RH have a pretty good idea of what is going to asked of them - they just lived it.  According to Alex about every four weeks they do their confessionals.  They bunch them up so they don't forget or the feelings are still pretty raw.  If one has an issue with Sonja chances are they will be asked about Sonja.  Alex also said the line producers are notorious for carrying stories back and forth.  So if Ramona says Sonja is ready to lose her house, to the others, chances are that message gets back to Sonja via a producer and may weigh heavily in how she treats Ramona the next time she sees her.  

Here is an example I do believe Luann was led to believe by producers that Carole and Heather were barging to find a guy in the room AND confront her about the naked guy upstairs.  From Luann's answer about a guy hanging from her back and swinging from the chandelier I feel much of that controversy is producer inspired and suggested.  I also believe the comments Luann attributes to Carole about Heather being on a rampage are off camera comments and Luann was left looking dishonest.  The producer are probably pretty safe in betting Heathole or Carheat will back each other's play.   

I do recall Tamra saying it can take eight hours but that included make-up and changing outfits because they need o make the confessional look as if were at the same time as other confessionals.  This year they didn't even try and make it look real.  It was fairly obvious there was a re-edit and change of direction once Bethenny was getting booed off the stage so to speak.  Also, I think they filmed some Carole ones later because she would otherwise be inconsistent with her claims that she thought she and Luann were friends.  Carole started dumping on Luann early and often. 

We know that Dorinda and (I believe) Bethenny both tweeted that they were filming THs right before the reunion, months and months after filming stopped, right up to the day before they filmed the reunion. So I am sure the producers had to refresh their memories of what happened.

• Love 1