Type keyword(s) to search

Carole Radziwill: She's a Real Princess!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Lemons said:

Carole needed to edit this outfit. The removal of a couple of items and the outfit would  be super cute. 

It's funny because it's a really cute outfit if the weather were warmer. If it's a nice fall day, she wouldn't be wearing the coat or the gloves. Then it's really cute. However, Carole sometimes makes bad outerwear and purse choices. Linda Rodin carries purses in all sizes, but Carole rarely carries a big bag. She loves cross body bags.

1 hour ago, film noire said:

I do (and if they did, they'd make my point for me :)

If Carole wore the pink coat look, she'd likely wear her hair down (ruining that clean neckline) and add brightly colored mitt'ens or gloves, plus a statement boot/shoe (chunky high heel with buckles?) and a ripped knee on those seventies bells bottoms; she'd also throw in something "sexy" somewhere  (a spangly halter top visible at the open coat neck?) all cluttering the look up with too many elements,  throwing the outfit into desperately hip/Carrie at her sartorial saddest. 

And if Rodin (god forbid) were forced to wear that hideous look I posted of Carole's, she would instead burn it, storing the ashes in her purse ; )

rodin.jpg

I don't think the pink coat look is all that hot. The proportions are a bit off. The coat is a skosh too long. It would look better if the coat ended mid-thigh. Her weird too fussy purse that has to be carried like a decorative bushel does nothing because you can't see the pattern.

Rodin's look above is a really Carole look. She likes her funky sneakers, black jeans, and leather jackets. Carole wouldn't carry that purse or wear her hair up, but this is in her wheelhouse. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Rodin's look above is a really Carole look. She likes her funky sneakers, black jeans, and leather jackets. Carole wouldn't carry that purse or wear her hair up, but this is in her wheelhouse. 

I don't think the precision/crispness of Rodin's (seemingly casual) look is in Radziwill's wheelhouse at all. The only thing Carole would wear is the jacket, imo -- and she'd do a ripped jean and a boot/scuffed trainer -- and a t-shirt not a silk shirt -- something like this:

jacket.jpg

Edited by film noire

rodin.jpg

She looks good in the this picture because she has a perfect body.  Otherwise nothing really stands out.  Black motorcycle jacket, pretty basic.  Skinny tuxedo pants, on trend a few years ago.  Trendy teen sneakers.  Big basic bag.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Otherwise nothing really stands out.  Black motorcycle jacket, pretty basic.  Skinny tuxedo pants, on trend a few years ago.  Trendy teen sneakers.  Big basic bag.  

..and a floral green/yellow/red/purple shirt + no scarf/jewelry at the V neck (making her throat read long) + fab glasses+ trainers in an unexpected color (with that floral shirt) the shoes as pristine as Manolo's (visually reading as if they were precious footware not just kicks) + all the metal echoing each other (on the jacket, the purse and the trainers) + hair up, but wispy, as if it all really were just casually thrown together (and likely was because Rodin spent years in the business and has a killer eye) = an outfit that looks like "nothing", but still catches your eye -- harder than it looks to pull off at 30, never mind in your late sixties. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

It's funny because it's a really cute outfit if the weather were warmer. If it's a nice fall day, she wouldn't be wearing the coat or the gloves. Then it's really cute. However, Carole sometimes makes bad outerwear and purse choices. Linda Rodin carries purses in all sizes, but Carole rarely carries a big bag. She loves cross body bags.

I don't think the pink coat look is all that hot. The proportions are a bit off. The coat is a skosh too long. It would look better if the coat ended mid-thigh. Her weird too fussy purse that has to be carried like a decorative bushel does nothing because you can't see the pattern.

Rodin's look above is a really Carole look. She likes ther funky sneakers, black jeans, and leather jackets. Carole wouldn't carry that purse or wear her hair up, but this is in her wheelhouse. 

This is the precise thought I had, HH. Like, we've seen Carole rock outfits in this vein.

• Love 2

I don't think the precision/crispness of Rodin's (seemingly casual) look is in Radziwill's wheelhouse at all. The only thing Carole would wear is the jacket, imo -- and she'd do a ripped jean and a boot/scuffed trainer -- and a t-shirt not a silk shirt -- something like this:

jacket.jpg

film noire, you've chosen an outfit of Carole's from years ago. We literally have video proof of Carole, in more recent times, rocking something similar to what Rodin was wearing in the pic you provided: Carole's Mexico travel outfit two episodes again was a pair of crisp white jeans, a funky tee with cut-out shoulders, and a pair of high top sneakers. 

The first pic is from last month. The second is pretty much the outfit she wore when traveling to Mexico.

IMG_8227.PNG

IMG_8228.PNG

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

film noire, you've chosen an outfit of Carole's from years ago. We literally have video proof of Carole, in more recent times, rocking something similar to what Rodin was wearing in the pic you provided: Carole's Mexico travel outfit two episodes again was a pair of crisp white jeans, a funky tee with cut-out shoulders, and a pair of high top sneakers. 

The first pic is from last month. The second is pretty much the outfit she wore when traveling to Mexico.

IMG_8227.PNG

IMG_8228.PNG

Mozelle, if you think Radziwill in those pics (a black bra under a mustard peasant blouse?) comes across with the same sophisticated style Rodin routinely does then there's no point in us talking further, because we do not share a fashion language, or see with the same eye :)

Add you're right, that photo was from 2013. Here you go -- leather jacket, 2017, with trainers, purse, etc.

red jacket.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, HunterHunted said:

I actually think Carole should list the titles of stories for which she received her awards.

I do, too.  The only source I could find about any of her 3 emmy wins was the 1990 nominations which included an ABC piece called "Abortion:  The New Civil War". 

Peter Jennings was listed as the Interviewer.  Also listed is (1) Executive Producer, (1) Senior Broadcast Producer and (9) Producers, which Carole was one.

I was only able to find the name of that piece from a video of Carole's apartment tour.  On her desk, are 2 Emmys.  She said she lost the third.  "The New Civil War" emmy is turned to the camera so that it's title, date and her name are clearly displayed.  The other Emmy, is turned away. As far as I'm concerned it could be the one that Anthony won also in 1990 for the Menendez brothers piece.  And the third, Emmy statue? Like she mentioned, supposedly it's lost. 

That said, it's possible she's won 2 others.  But she'd either have to name them or someone would have to go through all the lists of noms for all the years she was at ABC.  Ain't nobody got time for that. Today. ;-)

It's funny that you say Carole isn't on Willow Bay's level.

If you mean professionally, she's not.

• Love 1

Of course we don't see with the same eye lol. I mean, quite literally. And you are, of course, not looking for pix of Carole outside of (1) old or (2) working out (as witnessed by the weights around her ankles). Lol. Thumb on the scale and all that.  ;)

It seemed established posts ago that we don't see with the same eye as I do think that Carole dresses well, incorporating trend pieces, in all her quirks, and that she is in a similar vein as Linda Rodin. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

LOL. It seems like this is all that ever happens on the Carole forum. Knowing and then dismissing facts because the facts don't go with the narrative that she just makes shit up. 

I was not only part of the "what in the world has Shannon Beador ever done" bandwagon, I might have been the leader of the movement. Because she never talked about ever having done anything. Ever.  I never doubted she graduated from USC, because she said that she did. Why in the world would I think she was making that up, or that if it were not true, that someone would not have come forward to say it was not true. I didn't spend hours digging into her background to try and prove it to be a lie. What I doubted was that she had ever done much else. When I heard that she had gone to Law School and had a job after, I was surprised, but never felt the need to spend hours trying to prove she must be a liar. Is it strange? That she would list in her Bio that she went to USC but never mentioned going to Law School? Yep, it is all kinds of strange. But I believe her and after hearing that she said she had gone, I just let her have that. Because if she went to Law School, she should be able to be proud of that.  Why would she make something like that up? 

But bringing it back to Carole, that seems to be exactly what happens to her. Her entire history is questioned. Her every achievement and relationship is analyzed and dissected for some nugget that perhaps something might not be 100% true. It is interesting because it doesn't happen in the same way to the others. I cannot stand Ramona, and often times cannot tolerate Lu, but cannot understand trying to prove their past successes and achievements didn't really happen. And I have zero doubt that if anyone decided to put half the time into digging around into everything they have claimed to have done in their lives, they could find an inconsistency here and there. 

That is not what the statement means at all.  It means there are people will dismiss facts if the facts aren't widely circulated and chose their narrative over the truth.  A person saying, "oh I never paid attention to Carole claims of modeling because she hasn't talked about it much," puts those in the know who remember the reference on the defensive as if their retention of a fact is really meaningless because the person making the comment didn't find it important. 

In the case of Shannon, it got way out of control, not only had she never done anything in her life, she had been institutionalized until David took pity in her and married her.  So when Shannon, who has no control over what producers include in the show, expanded her bio, it just didn't suit certain people's narrative so once again it is downgraded to "the three people who listened to Heather Dubrow's show," to me it is a statement of fact and being dismissed for passing on information is highly insulting.  As is the quantifying how many know a certain  fact doesn't change it is a fact.  These Boards are a pretty insular world and if someone dare do a little research instead of making stuff up should not be some sort of downgrade.   Carole, asserting having superior intellect because you watch CSPAN and House budget hearings doesn't make another person information and opinions regarding the Presidential race any less significant or more correct.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and those was cite certain facts  shouldn't be made to feel inferior to those who just blow stuff out of their ass.  It is a mutual respect thing.  Carole making a narrative Tom is gay because he had broken engagements and didn't marry until he is fifty, is one of those blowing things out of her ass comments.  Lots of people heard it and to me, it doesn't matter if she said 50 times or once-she put it out there.

A lot of what these women put out there about themselves is their perception or spin on a story.  It is inconsistent statements that sink the ship for these women.  I have said it before, although I am sure Sonja has had an interesting life, she always has this degree of delusional familiarity that tends to sink her boat.  Ramona's issues are once she divorced Mario, she seems to lay an awful lot of claim to her role as the breadwinner.  It is one of those factual things with Ramona-in her mind she worked and all the assets in the marriage were because of her, she didn't speak that way when she was married to Mario. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

or (2) working out (as witnessed by the weights around her ankles).

Third time's the charm -- let's take it just from the waist up, then -- erase the shoes and pants (eta; or I'll spot you adding ankle weights to Rodin's outfit:) Still nowhere near Linda.

radziwill jacket.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

Third time's the charm -- let's take it just from the waist up, then

Let's not, and say we did.  Damn, FN.  That should come with a warning.

ETA:  For what it's worth, those aren't ankle weights.  They're just hideous looking high tops.

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ryebread said:

Let's not, and say we did.  Damn, FN.  That should come with a warning.

LOL (at least it wasn't anal with Carole, for once!)

ETA:  For what it's worth, those aren't ankle weights.  They're just hideous looking high tops.

You're right  -- when you blow the image up you can see it's just the make of the shoe.

3 hours ago, Mozelle said:

film noire, chica. We won't agree on this lol. 

Gimme one last shot, Mozelle!  -- when your shoes are mistaken for ankle weights, is it fair to say we are not in Linda Rodin territory? :)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ki-in said:

She said that not only was she a fit model, that she was a showroom model and that it was her ass in the ads and on the billboards.  I do not believe she was a showroom or in the ads. A fit model sure, but the star of a major and iconic campaign? No way.

Anthony was NEVER a prince,ever. I don't know why people still think that Carole was ever a princess, ever. Oh except for her tagline "I may be a princess..." But she never calls herself a princess, right? You don't automatically get to be one just because your parent is/was especially in the case of Anthony's father where it was given up. Zara Tindall is not a princess nor is her brother Phillip and their grandmother is the Queen of England.

In all honesty I can see how Shannon Beador could have been institutionalized. 

Zara and her brother would have been a princess and prince EXCEPT for the fact that their mother made the conscious choice for them not to be titled. Otherwise, they would have automatically been a princess and prince. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

Zara and her brother would have been a princess and prince EXCEPT for the fact that their mother made the conscious choice for them not to be titled. Otherwise, they would have automatically been a princess and prince. 

Anne's kids are commoners by birth (b/c they were born of a female child of the Queen & George V restricted the title to the male line). Only the Queen (minus them marrying a title) could have granted them royal status (which yes, Anne turned down). 

Edited by film noire
4 minutes ago, film noire said:

Anne's kids are commoners by birth (b/c they were born of a female child of the Queen & George V restricted the title to the male line) and only the Queen could have granted them royal status (which yes, Anne turned down). 

Ah yes, they changed that with William's children. 

Anyways, KI-IN's original statement isn't quite a good comparison.  One, it is based on the fallacy that Carole's husband wasn't titled (which he was and was styled His Serene Highness). Two, you are talking different countries with different laws and customs regarding this. Three, you are comparing a current royal house to one that is no longer used. While most of European royals no longer have a country, they often still use the titles and stylings even though it carries no "official" weight. France, Poland, and I believe, Greece. The Austrian royal family is just nuts in terms of their history and the current situation. The Archduke uses his title and was baptized with it but they were in exile for awhile. So, it just gets tricky when you are talking about different countries because the laws and customs vary widely but also a current and formally recognized monarchy (Sweden, UK, Norway, Liechtenstein, etc) vs an abolished monarchy that might or might not have some form of recognition. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ryebread said:

For what it's worth, those aren't ankle weights.  They're just hideous looking high tops.

And she has at least two pairs because tonight during the fish photo scene she was rocking the same model in white.

• Love 1

I just hate wedge sneakers in general.  I don't understand why it became a thing.  It isn't a flattering look on anybody. 

I don't think Carole's style is for everybody. I hate most of what is coming out of Gucci these days but some people love it. It doesn't mean that one group has good taste and the other doesn't. It just means that the two groups have different taste. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, film noire said:

LOL (at least it wasn't anal with Carole, for once!)

You're right  -- when you blow the image up you can see it's just the make of the shoe.

Gimme one last shot, Mozelle!  -- when your shoes are mistaken for ankle weights, is it fair to say we are not in Linda Rodin territory? :)

Nah lol. Recall when I posted the pic of Linda Rodin in the bell leg jeans and long pink overcoat, someone here had suggestions for why that overcoat was a miss. 

That tends to happen when women (such as Linda Rodin, such as Carole Radziwill) take fashion risks and are a bit quirky with their sartorial choices. The earlier pictures I shared from Carole's IG tell me that Carole is in Linda Rodin's style lane. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

That is not what the statement means at all.  It means there are people will dismiss facts if the facts aren't widely circulated and chose their narrative over the truth.  A person saying, "oh I never paid attention to Carole claims of modeling because she hasn't talked about it much," puts those in the know who remember the reference on the defensive as if their retention of a fact is really meaningless because the person making the comment didn't find it important. 

I wasn't trying to make anyone feel badly for remembering that Carole was a model. I am actually impressed with the memory of many. My comment was in reference to the discussion that Carole liked to brag about modeling in the past, and that if she really thought of herself as a model, she should be more like someone else (Willow Bay in the example). My point was that I didn't remember Carole ever making a long-term thing out of being a model. That she doesn't seem to hold it up as a major career achievement, but mentioned it once or twice in passing. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

That she doesn't seem to hold it up as a major career achievement, but mentioned it once or twice in passing. 

It was during a lunch date with Sonja and some gigolos male models she had brought with her and I think Carole was trying to impress them.  Upon hearing Jordache, a word I had not heard for decades (and the men not at all) jumped out at me so I really took notice. Then when she said that it was her butt in the ads and billboards made me say WTF, really? She was like 13 when those ads came out. Don't you think that being the face ass of such a major and iconic campaign would have been mentioned in the press when they were announcing new HW's?  She said she was a fit model but that also turned into a showroom model (which from what I understand you need to have model stats ie: height)

It's not that she said it more than once but it was such (IMO) an exaggeration of the truth that makes me side eye her accomplishments

Carole, like most all of the housewives is guilty of the Trumpism of "truthful hyperbole". She's just stealthier at it than the others.

Edited by Ki-in
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

Anyways, KI-IN's original statement isn't quite a good comparison.  One, it is based on the fallacy that Carole's husband wasn't titled (which he was and was styled His Serene Highness). 

The father gave up his title so there was no title to inherit. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ki-in said:

The father gave up his title so there was no title to inherit. 

I can't find anything online to back up your claim. Anthony was baptized Prince in the Roman Catholic church. His father (Stanislaw) required special permission from Queen Elizabeth to use his title once he was a subject of England. He didn't so he was known legally as Mr. Radziwill but was addressed as Prince Radziwill as courtesy. 

• Love 3

It seemed established posts ago that we don't see with the same eye as I do think that Carole dresses well, incorporating trend pieces, in all her quirks, and that she is in a similar vein as Linda Rodin. 

I agree. I like her sense of style, which she usually pulls off well.

• Love 5
On 8/3/2017 at 0:19 PM, diadochokinesis said:

I can't find anything online to back up your claim. Anthony was baptized Prince in the Roman Catholic church. His father (Stanislaw) required special permission from Queen Elizabeth to use his title once he was a subject of England. He didn't so he was known legally as Mr. Radziwill but was addressed as Prince Radziwill as courtesy. 

But since he became a subject of the Queen, and she refused him the legal right to use that title (as the Queen does with all foreign titles held by British subjects) and he accepted those terms, the title becomes invalid, a mere courtesy. 

eta: "Since 1932, no more licences have been issued; as for naturalization applicants, their solicitor was informed that "if your client becomes a British subject, his (her) foreign title will not receive official recognition in this country and that in accordance with the established practice it will be omitted from the certificate, if granted.   I am to request that your client, or you on his (her) behalf, will specifically acknowledge his (her) acceptance of this position."  A variant of this formula is still in use by the Home Office today."

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/foreigntitles.htm

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, diadochokinesis said:

A RC baptismal name wasn't always the babies legal name (the church once required all babies to be named after saints, so the child's legal name is Joey but his baptismal name is Joseph) and the RC church has nothing to do with handing out or recognizing Royal titles. The child's name and any title on the baptismal certificate is what the parents put on it, not the church.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, WireWrap said:

A RC baptismal name wasn't always the babies legal name (the church once required all babies to be named after saints, so the child's legal name is Joey but his baptismal name is Joseph) and the RC church has nothing to do with handing out or recognizing Royal titles. The child's name and any title on the baptismal certificate is what the parents put on it, not the church.

Not contradicting you vis-a-vis Carole, Lee, and their respective husbands. 

But an interesting fact I learned from A Season in Purgatory by Dominick Dunne is that the RCC does, in fact, dispense titles of nobility because the Vatican/Holy See operates as a city-state. Thus, Rose Kennedy was officially a countess. 

I think by practice it/they no longer dispense any titles higher than Knight/Dame (Rick Santorum and his wife are a knight/dame of Malta). 

Neither were the case with any of Carole's family, though.

I think @diadochokinesis might have brought up the baptismal designation because the Radziwill nobility derived originally from the Holy Roman Empire? 

Edited by lunastartron
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, BBHN said:

So sounds like it is all slightly less authentic and legal as, say, French nobility...

Wait, what?  We are expecting abolished monarchies to continue to be official?  

For those who have forgotten the original purpose of this because it has gotten down to nitpicking just to prove that Carole is the worst person ever, it was basically stating that Carole's claim to Princess is similar to the Countess claim once held by Luann--both are abolished monarchies using courtesy titles. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, diadochokinesis said:

just to prove that Carole is the worst person ever, 

People were just correcting misinformation -- not a vendetta against Carole, you know? : )

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, Ki-in said:

It's not that she said it more than once but it was such (IMO) an exaggeration of the truth that makes me side eye her accomplishments

Carole, like most all of the housewives is guilty of the Trumpism of "truthful hyperbole". She's just stealthier at it than the others.

This. 

For me, so much of what she claims, is just on the other side of believability.  Does she really own a house in Los Angeles?  Is Margaret really her dog?  Did she write every.single.word of 'What Remains'?  Was she really a producer Producer?  A reporter Reporter?  A model Model? Did she really have a sex dream about Bethenny?  Or was that just foreplay to become Beth's BFF?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ryebread said:

This. 

For me, so much of what she claims, is just on the other side of believability.  Does she really own a house in Los Angeles?  Is Margaret really her dog?  Did she write every.single.word of 'What Remains'?  Was she really a producer Producer?  A reporter Reporter?  A model Model? Did she really have a sex dream about Bethenny?  Or was that just foreplay to become Beth's BFF?

She's the Dexter to your Detective Doakes! 

(that only works if you were a Dexter fan)

• Love 2

Carole, like most all of the housewives is guilty of the Trumpism of "truthful hyperbole".

Or, in regards to her saying she's never surfed, just plain lying.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, Mozelle said:

Of course we don't see with the same eye lol. I mean, quite literally. And you are, of course, not looking for pix of Carole outside of (1) old or (2) working out (as witnessed by the weights around her ankles). Lol. Thumb on the scale and all that.  ;)

I think I was just raised really old-fashioned, because it annoys me when Carole mentions her "great ass."  I mean, I like self-deprecating humor but some find it either fishing for compliments or having low self-esteem. For the record, I look okay...some days (and lighting in rooms)  better than others, LOL, but I'm more likely to call myself out on days when I just don't know what the hell my hair is doing. It also annoyed me when Kristen Taekman said, 'but I'm pretty!"  I think I was just taught to let others give you compliments;  it's tacky to compliment yourself.

To be honest, I like Carole's style most of the time, because it seems like she's dressing for herself...except for sometimes when it feels like she's trying too hard.  I'm not sure how authentic she is, but I don't subscribe to the theory that "now you're 50, so you can't wear x, y and z".

• Love 7
2 hours ago, teapot said:

I think I was just raised really old-fashioned, because it annoys me when Carole mentions her "great ass."  I mean, I like self-deprecating humor but some find it either fishing for compliments or having low self-esteem. For the record, I look okay...some days (and lighting in rooms)  better than others, LOL, but I'm more likely to call myself out on days when I just don't know what the hell my hair is doing. It also annoyed me when Kristen Taekman said, 'but I'm pretty!"  I think I was just taught to let others give you compliments;  it's tacky to compliment yourself.

To be honest, I like Carole's style most of the time, because it seems like she's dressing for herself...except for sometimes when it feels like she's trying too hard.  I'm not sure how authentic she is, but I don't subscribe to the theory that "now you're 50, so you can't wear x, y and z".

I can certainly understand this take. My question would also be: What happens if (or when) those compliments from others happen fewer and far between, or if they stop coming altogether? I'm not even talking compliments on someone's physical appearance either (though Carole does like that she's got a great ass lol). We should be able to say that we're awesome or smart without needing it to come from someone else. 

teapot, I don't want to assume, but are you a woman? If yes, then I also think this may play a role in your reticence about complimenting yourself. Women are often socialized (in ways that men often are not) to be demure and grateful for compliments received (but!, you can only say "Thank you!"; you can never say things like, "I agree"). Thus when we see a woman make a comment about what she likes about herself it can be a little jarring. 

ETA: a pic of the button I have on my commuting backpack lol. Because if I don't believe it first about myself who will?

IMG_8534.JPG

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

teapot, I don't want to assume, but are you a woman? If yes, then I also think this may play a role in your reticence about complimenting yourself. Women are often socialized (in ways that men often are not) to be demure and grateful for compliments received (but!, you can only say "Thank you!"; you can never say things like, "I agree"). Thus when we see a woman make a comment about what she likes about herself it can be a little jarring. 

I sure am!  And you're right, I'm 48 years old & my parents were quite old-school and strict and there was no debating good manners, so maybe sometime I'm a little stuffy! (I'm also kind of easily appalled...in this day and age, you can imagine!  eating with mouths open!  not holding doors open! not saying please!)

I did my best w/my boy-child but I'm pretty sure half the time he was rolling his eyes & willing me back to the Dark Ages.

Also, I definitely think that women should think they're beautiful, when my girlfriends say things like "he's lucky to have me, I'm a great catch!"  I always say "YEAH YOU ARE!"

I don't know, it's weird, right?  It's just jarring to hear someone compliment their own appearance.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, teapot said:

It's just jarring to hear someone compliment their own appearance.

I think there's a difference between complimenting yourself (I did/have this great thing/quality and it makes me happy) and bragging (making it a comparison -- I have/did this great thing in a way that is superior to the way others have it, or achieved it by superior means/ it's just better in some ineffable way). Carole often sounds like she's bragging to me, not enjoying/paying herself a compliment. 

(eta: and I think complimenting yourself is more subversive;  bragging is about your relationship to others - pecking order or otherwise -- and women are constantly being told we do not exist/have value except in relationship to others.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, film noire said:

I think there's a difference between complimenting yourself (I did/have this great thing/quality and it makes me happy) and bragging (making it a comparison -- I have/did this great thing in a way that is superior to the way others have it, or achieved it by superior means/ it's just better in some ineffable way). Carole often sounds like she's bragging to me, not enjoying/paying herself a compliment. 

(eta: and I think complimenting yourself is more subversive;  bragging is about your relationship to others - pecking order or otherwise -- and women are constantly being told we do not exist/have value except in relationship to others.)

You mean like when she said she had the best breasts of the group? 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, teapot said:

I sure am!  And you're right, I'm 48 years old & my parents were quite old-school and strict and there was no debating good manners, so maybe sometime I'm a little stuffy! (I'm also kind of easily appalled...in this day and age, you can imagine!  eating with mouths open!  not holding doors open! not saying please!)

I did my best w/my boy-child but I'm pretty sure half the time he was rolling his eyes & willing me back to the Dark Ages.

Also, I definitely think that women should think they're beautiful, when my girlfriends say things like "he's lucky to have me, I'm a great catch!"  I always say "YEAH YOU ARE!"

I don't know, it's weird, right?  It's just jarring to hear someone compliment their own appearance.

I totally agree, Teapot. You need to believe in yourself, but fishing for compliments is tacky. Ugh! Don't get me on eating with one's mouth open. No one wants to see your chewed up food. Why would someone think we do? I was raised with basic manners and hope I'm raising Atlanta-ette the same way.

• Love 4

I will have to watch again, but I thought it was Dorinda who said she had never surfed before?

Right, Dorinda said that, and then Carole replied that she hadn't, neither.

• Love 1

Looks are subjective, a great ass in the '70's-'90's would be considered a flat pancake butt where a great ass these days would have been considered a lard ass back then. People, like Carole, who troll for compliments or toot their own horn seem insecure and desperate for attention/validation. imho

Carole needs some Coco advice for when she decides to hit the Forever 21 shops.

f644bd89ec48d55dcd1ac3f1495929b8--older-

And for when she decides mosquito netting and gym clothes are on trend

trendy-is-the-last-stage-before-tacky-ka

Edited by Ki-in
  • Love 2

People, like Carole, who troll for compliments or toot their own horn seem insecure and desperate for attention/validation.

Or are just confident and secure.

• Love 6