Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Time of Death

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Felicity feels left out when Oliver makes Sara a part of the team; a brilliant thief known as The Clock King arms himself with technology that can open bank vaults; Laurel refuses to attend a party for Sara.

Can someone refresh my memory? Does Quentin Lance know that Sara is the Black Canary? My memory is that he knows she's the Black Canary but doesn't know that Oliver is the Hood, but he knows that Black Canary and the Hood are friends. Am I correct?

That's correct. Quentin knows that Sara is the Canary. He also knows that the Arrow works with Felicity Smoak and that the Arrow is pals with Sara, but he somehow doesn't know that Oliver is the Arrow. Which doesn't seem possible, because that mask does not do nearly enough to disguise Oliver's face. In this episode, he went straight from the party (where Oliver and Sara were together) to the alley (where the Arrow and the Canary were together).

Actually, I think he's probably figured it out and is just pretending not to know. The show can't pretend the idea never even occurred to him; he even arrested Oliver in the first season on suspicion of being the Arrow.

• Love 3

I agree, he HAS to be pretending not to know because I mean otherwise he's the worst cop in the world, or possibly blind. 

Thanks, I was pretty sure I was right but got into a discussion about the Canary knowledge. 

Quentin begging Laurel to put aside her grudge against Sara for one night so he might have a chance to reconnect with Dinah - oh, it's heartbreaking the hope in his eyes. 

The upcoming Lance Family drama with special unwanted guest Oliver Queen is still horrible and I'm not a fan of Laurel's "you're so beautiful" speech but otherwise, I honestly don't think this episode is as bad as its reputation.

There are so many things wrong with the family dinner thing but one that stands out to me every time is the part where we see Laurel open a bottle of pills but then when she hears Sara is there, she actually puts away the pill bottle.  Why do this when this is supposed to be the pinnacle of her drug addiction story line?

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think the "What are you wearing?" comment from Oliver is really all that bad.  For one, she's not doing anything work out related when he sees her and it's not her normal kind of outfit but he sounds more curious and confused (like well this isn't normal) than upset.  I don't see him as snapping at her.  In the same scene when she says Tockman is good at covering his tracks Oliver says 

"Lucky for us, uncovering tracks is what you are very good at"

I swear the first time I watched it, I took it as him being kind of a jerk but now it just sounds to me like he's sharing his faith in her - but Felicity is feeling so out of sorts, she's not reacting to what he is saying.  The same, I'm failing expression stays on her face, but I think it's all internal judgment not based on anything Oliver has really said.

I also found Felicity urging Sara to go to her Family dinner very interesting.  She doesn't seem to be unkind or pushing Sara away.  She seems sincere when she says "Family is important too" which is not at all how she sounds when she basically kicks Oliver out with her "What do you think you're going to do?" 

Another observation, she pretty much does the same head tilt, lean in thing with Diggle when he puts his hand on her shoulder as she does at the end when she's all loopy.  I never hated the gesture but I think seeing her do it with Diggle when she's feeling appreciative negates the little girl or puppy dog vibe that was picked up by some.  I don't think the gesture should have much read into it. 

Still trying to ignore most of the Lance dinner but I'm not sure Felicity had any other choice about going to the bank after Oliver set up his little sting.  Could she have even had a chance of getting her systems back up and running in just a couple hours?  Anyway, I like believing she wasn't doing something reckless for no reason. 

Both Diggle and Oliver were all kinds of pissed though, weren't they?  Only Sara was unconcerned.  I like that. 

Sara thanking Felicity does sound like she's chosen her words so the meaning is simple.  Felicity is already flying before Sara says her thanks and call her brave so to me it just seemed like she wanted to make sure her message got through to the drug addled brain. 

Last random thoughts.

Sara looks cute in red.  It's nice to see her in something other than black.

Why are there giant gears all over the walls in the Verdent?  How did I never notice them before?

I think one of the reasons why I hate Laurel's apology is she begs Sara not to hate her when it was Laurel that was the one hating Sara.  Why couldn't they let her apologize like a normal person???  I was soooooo sick of all the drama.  A nice simple, I'm sorry, I don't really hate you.  Even I'm so mad at you but I miss you so much would have been fine.  Sigh.  They just made/make it so hard for me to not be annoyed with Laurel. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I watched this one again to see if I had been too harsh about it the first time around.  Nope.

Laurel is still a bitch.  I have no sympathy for her except for when Sara brought Oliver to the family dinner because I wouldn't have stormed out like she did, I would have thrown them out.  But the episode does seem to make Sara unusually wimpy in terms of Laurel than she usually is.  Felicity got cut down to prop Sara and Sara got cut down to prop Laurel.

KC did a good enough job with the speech to Sara at the end but true to form, Laurel made it all about herself. ALL about herself.  No sympathy again for her.

Maybe the EPs thought that this was a Felicity episode but it's really a Sara episode. The fact that Felicity is back in the Arrow Cave with the computers just shows how much more valuable to the team Sara is.  (On the other hand, maybe if they had let Diggle go out with Oliver in the first half of the episode, it wouldn't have been so obvious that Sara was Oliver's equal.)  And they even managed to put in Sara/airplane./Sin's father into the flashbacks.  Felicity's scenes were done quite a bit before the end of the episode, and after that it was all Sara and a bit of Oliver.

This episode is an examle of how, when you overdo a character, no matter how good she is, it gets too much. By the time Birds of Prey came on, I was heartily sick of the Lance sisters.

On the other hand, Paul Blackthorne rocked this episode, from apologizing to Oliver to being happy about Sara being back, to hopeful about Dinah and then crushed, to being happy that Laurel turned up at the AA meeting. I hope they give him more to do next season.

I love  Diggle, and how he notices several times (through the acting) that Felicity is feeling left out.

I wish they had spent more time on Tockman himself and why he was stealing the money and his attempt to keep anyone from being killed.

I still hate the drugged Felicity scene with a thousand passions.  I know they meant it as something cute between Felicity and Oliver but he just comes off as a condescending jerk.

In fact, I pretty much hate Oliver all round in this episode.  Any validation Felicity got,, she got from Sara and Diggle.  Diggle even had to tell Oliver to notice her.  I know people have been saying that Oliver was in love with Felicity from the Russia episode, or from Tremors, but I don't see any indications of it in ToD.

SA said that these next episodes were hard because from this episode to the end of the season, Oliver didn't crack a smile once.

I don't think the "What are you wearing?" comment from Oliver is really all that bad.  For one, she's not doing anything work out related when he sees her and it's not her normal kind of outfit but he sounds more curious and confused (like well this isn't normal) than upset.  I don't see him as snapping at her.  In the same scene when she says Tockman is good at covering his tracks Oliver says

"Lucky for us, uncovering tracks is what you are very good at"

I swear the first time I watched it, I took it as him being kind of a jerk but now it just sounds to me like he's sharing his faith in her - but Felicity is feeling so out of sorts, she's not reacting to what he is saying.  The same, I'm failing expression stays on her face, but I think it's all internal judgment not based on anything Oliver has really said.

I think the "uncovering tracks" part was partly sharing his faith but to me it, along with "what are you wearing?" was mostly "Get back to your pigeon hole.  You are the IT person here, get ITing and stop trying to be something you aren't."  I know he was stressed but sheesh.  No wonder Felicity just got more and more upset.

I also found Felicity urging Sara to go to her Family dinner very interesting.  She doesn't seem to be unkind or pushing Sara away.  She seems sincere when she says "Family is important too" which is not at all how she sounds when she basically kicks Oliver out with her "What do you think you're going to do?"

I think Felicity just wanted them out of there so she could do what she had to, which is crying and throw a snit fit and fixing the computer. That's why I love her, because even when it's blackest, she' picks herself up, dusts herself off and starts all over again', unlike other people who dive into an addiction (Laurel) or go all broody (Oliver).

Why are there giant gears all over the walls in the Verdent?  

I assumed that it was in keeping with the theme of a foundry.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5
(edited)

So as much as I cringed at the supposed "Emmy-worthy" hallway scene the first go around, watching it again I realized that this was the first time I truly, genuinely believed that this was two people that had a long history and cared about each other. And I also realized how badly we needed a scene like this in season one to actually sell Oliver and Laurel's relationship. Because this was the first time I saw that they could inspire actual heavy emotions from one another, despite the negative reasons for it. I really have to credit Amell in that scene, because under the hot anger on the surface, I really saw frustration and weariness.

And I thought Laurel throwing a complete snit-fit was inappropriate, awkward and cruel for embarrassing her father....but you know what, I didn't hate it. Because it was a reaction that actually made sense given her situation. Yes, she was unlikeable and made it about herself once again, but at least it was consistent with what her character was supposed to be at that point.

Diggle continues to prove his MVP-ness with noticing how Felicity was feeling. He's the one that goes over to distract her after the sparring scene and just actually being observant enough to know that dynamics are shifting and that it'll be an adjustment for Felicity for multiple reasons.

Edited by Tangerine
  • Love 2

I didn't feel it was a Sara episode at all. 

Yes, Sara took Oliver to the dinner but that was more about Laurel and Laurel/Oliver. If it was about her they would've gone back to get Sara's reaction after Laurel left. The dinner wasn't the Lance family drama dinner as most of you say, it was the Laurel drama dinner. We saw the Lance family interact as a family for about a minute then it became all about Laurel. They never went back to show us how Quentin, Dinah and Sara reacted to Laurel's outburst or what Dinah and Quentin thought about Sara dating Oliver. Or Dinah telling Sara she never believed she was dead and found a picture of her and asked if it was her. Dinah barely said two words to her not dead daughter. Or any of them asking if Sara and Oliver were on the island together and why they lied about her dead.

So for me that wasn't a Lance Family scene. It was all set up (poorly) for Laurel's "Emmy worthy" scene. Sara was used to give Laurel her magical addiction cure and I think the EP's thought that by having Laurel apologize to Sara would gain her some sympathy. But it was such a stupid apology that Laurel did turn around and make it about herself. So again, it wasn't about Sara, she didn't even get to say anything. It was all about Laurel. 

Felicity got cut down to prop Sara and Sara got cut down to prop Laurel.

And I felt that League trained, mind your surroundings Sara was also cut down to prop Felicity up, that's why Felicity got to save her and take a bullet to get a scar like the rest of them. So all three women were being used to prop up another woman. 

The only thing I liked about this episode was that Felicity used her brains to outsmart Tockman in the end.  I actually felt sorry for Laurel because I thought Sara & Oliver going together to the Lance family dinner was a really thoughtless move.  And Oliver's attitude to Felicity in this episode was terrible - first unreasonably hostile ("What are you wearing?") and then condescending ("You'll always be my girl") - cringe-worthy.

• Love 3
(edited)

I know a bunch of people feel otherwise, but I never saw Oliver's "What are you wearing?" as reproachful question. It doesn't make sense to me if the writers intended it that way. Oliver saw Felicity in workout gear before when she was training with Diggle in "Dead to Rights," so it wasn't a foreign concept, unless the writers simply forgot that scene. In my little shipper heart, I've convinced myself that he asked what she was wearing because he was turned on. LOL.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 3
(edited)

I didn't see it as reproachful; I saw it as confused. But asking it was insensitive. As he was the entire episode, in which every person noticed how insecure Felicity was feeling, except for him. I think if it had happened in another episode, where everyone was cool with each other, Felicity would have just had a little snappy comeback and it would have been a cute moment. 

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 6

Why was Oliver there at the family dinner? Are him and Sarah that stupid?

Oliver was kind of a dick, but he made up for his " you will always be my girl" line. Totally squeed. And Slade at the end was a great reveal.

• Love 2

I really think that no matter how it could be taken, Oliver meant his "You'll always be my girl." with as much sincerity and appreciation as he could feel. He seems so into their moment. His smile reminds me of the one he gets when he is genuinely amused by Felicity. She makes him brighten up. Makes him happier even if he doesn't stop the analyze why.

• Love 2

Before this episode, I thought the competitiveness between the sisters was one-sided (on Laurel's part).  But I can't believe that Sara didn't realize how insensitive and hurtful it would be to bring Oliver to the Lance family dinner.  It was, consciously or unconsciously, a dig at her sister.  Here's your ex-boyfriend who I slept with and am now sleeping with.  The dinner was meant to reconcile the Lance family.

• Love 4

To me Sara seemed very timid around her family, it was a huge contrast for when she's the Black Canary. When she was with them as Sara she kept her whole body tight and almost folded in. So I do think she was scared to have dinner with her family it was something she hasn't done in 6 years and never as the person she is now. Oliver was her comfort zone. I don't think she even thought of Laurel at all, honestly. So it was selfish in a different way. 

• Love 7

I got the feeling that Sara was worried how Laurel would react to her being there and she reached out for someone to support her. She knew her parents were happy to have her back but the last time she talked to Laurel, there was glassware thrown.  It was wrong to take Oliver, and Oliver sort of got that since he first said he should stay in the lair but he went.

It doesn't really make all that much sense in terms of motivation but they needed it to set up the talk in the hallway (which SA said during the Arrow panel was one of the scenes he really enjoyed acting in).  Still, it works better for me than the "you'll always be my girl" scene which still makes me cringe every time I see it.

• Love 1

http://www.arghink.com/2014/02/27/arrow-thursday-so-many-things-to-fix/

I think this post probably sums up entirely how I felt about this episode. Just the whole episode made me think "who are these people?" The scars discussion really pained me because I, for some reason couldn't see Mr Stoicism doing that with Diggle, knowing that the scars were no doubt emotional and mental too. It just seemed weird.

I'm totally with people who at one point shipped Olicity but were turned off by Oliver's behaviour. It's probably what I hated most about season 2: they made me dislike Oliver to the point where I wanted Slade to kick his behind.

Yay for Felicity & Diggle show!

Edited by ArrowLimbo
  • Love 2

I hope when the DVDs arrive, eps 2x13-17 are lumped in 1 disc because that's the stretch of Season 2 eps I will not subject myself to watching again. I can watch clips of individual scenes I liked on YouTube (Dig and Felicity's scenes), thank you very much.

Aside from how almost everybody was acting out of character, this episode arrived after I think a month of me stewing over the last 2 minutes of Heir to the Demon, which left a really bad taste in my mouth. That one scene just ruined two characters from me (I haven't quite felt the same way about those characters since and I'm extremely annoyed at the writers for that).

For weeks before Time of Death aired, it was billed as this big Lance-centric episode with an Emmy-worthy performance from you know who. Then Heir to the Demon aired, backlash ensued and suddenly Time of Death was being promoted as a Felicity-centric episode. (sigh) This episode started a stretch where the characters I loved and enjoyed watching during the first half of the season where pushed aside for characters I didn't care about all that much.

Thanks for posting Jennifer Crusie's take on this ep. She articulated what I felt watching that ep quite succinctly.

• Love 2

Rewatch thoughts, again. This was hard to sit through. Really not a good episode at all.

1. I'm glad Felicity's insecurities were about her abilities and not because O/S were together. I would have hated that. But as much as people do have insecurities from time to time it felt strange coming from Felicity suddenly. This was the same woman who marched into Walter's office in s1 and demanded that she not be fired because she was the best IT girl they had. How does she go from that mentality to this? If anything she would be even more sure of herself after everything she's done.

2. Sin and Sara were sweet. I liked the link between them. I remember not expecting that when I first watched, although they did pretty much use a whole flashback on the history of how they know each other which didn't feel entirely necessary. And when I think about it, watching the episodes back to back makes things seem quite Sara heavy.

3. Oliver and Laurel's fight was probably the only time I didn't mind them in a scene together. It was badly needed, to cut those ties, but omg the way they got there was ridiculously contrived. 

4. I was totally on Moira's side when she said that if Oliver didn't want to see her then he shouldn't throw a party in her house. Damn right. Sorry Oliver. You were wrong.

5. Tockman being Felicity's nemesis, so to speak, makes me wonder if he's part of the reason why

the team go to Central City in The Flash crossover event. I wouldn't be surprised if she wants to go so she can beat him again. It strikes me as something she would view as personal.

6. The Lance family dinner was soooooo awkward I could barely stand it. Please no more.

7. "You'll always be my girl, Felicity" is pretty awkward too. I don't hate it as much as some people but yeah, it's uncomfortable. It felt sincere but it also didn't feel like the Olicity I know and love. Something was off. Maybe SA was stopping the heart eyes because Oliver was sleeping with Sara at the time. I don't know. (This was probably one of the reasons I didn't really ship ship Olicity at this point. I liked them but Oliver's behavior kind of put me off investing in them until much later in the season).

8. I don't think an intelligent woman like Felicity would believe that Digg actually gave her aspirins. Come on. 

9. On that note though, I love Digg and Felicity's friendship. He was so supportive and he was the only one who noticed there was something wrong (contrast to Oliver noticing something was wrong in the previous episode but now seemingly clueless). "You're irreplaceable, Felicity." Melt my heart. 

10. Was Laurel still doing drugs this whole time? She doesn't really seem like a drug addict to me. She could be taking headache pills for all the difference in her behavior/appearance.

11. Laurel's apology speech to Sara is a bit of a head scratcher because she says that she got on that boat with Sara and had been drowning ever since and I don't know if I believe that. In s1 she seemed like she had moved on with her life and was surviving just fine. She had Tommy and her job and whatever. I saw her spiralling since Tommy's death but I don't know if I buy that her behavior was five years in the making. I saw it as more of a rough patch. Eh.

Yeah. Not an episode I feel like watching again. But I had to refresh my memory. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 4

I wasn't too involved in Arrow fandom during season 2, so I was kinda shocked to learn how hated this episode was because I really enjoyed it.

I loved the scene with Diggle and Felicity where he acknowledged her feelings for Oliver. The fact that the show made it more about her place on the team instead of her being jealous of O/S really worked for me. Also, Diggle's line about her being irreplaceable is one of my favorite quotes ever.

I'm not a Laurel Lance fan, but it still bothers me to this day that they had Laurel apologize to Sara at the end of the episode and yet Sara never apologized for sleeping with her sister's boyfriend. I just really hated the way they handled this relationship and it's why I don't really buy it now.

I loved how concerned Oliver was about Felicity and I thought it was sweet how Oliver and Diggle were turned around to give Felicity privacy while Sara stitched her up.

The you'll always be my girl scene was nice.

• Love 5

I wasn't too involved in Arrow fandom during season 2, so I was kinda shocked to learn how hated this episode was because I really enjoyed it.

I loved the scene with Diggle and Felicity where he acknowledged her feelings for Oliver. The fact that the show made it more about her place on the team instead of her being jealous of O/S really worked for me. Also, Diggle's line about her being irreplaceable is one of my favorite quotes ever.

I'm not a Laurel Lance fan, but it still bothers me to this day that they had Laurel apologize to Sara at the end of the episode and yet Sara never apologized for sleeping with her sister's boyfriend. I just really hated the way they handled this relationship and it's why I don't really buy it now.

I loved how concerned Oliver was about Felicity and I thought it was sweet how Oliver and Diggle were turned around to give Felicity privacy while Sara stitched her up.

The you'll always be my girl scene was nice.

I was in a similar boat. I didn't out right hate the episode, but there was something about it that didn't feel right that prevented me from completely liking it.

All I knew going into it from glancing at internet comments about the episode was that it was a supposed "Felicity-centric" episode, so with that in mind, the episode did kind of disappointed me a bit because of the sudden Lance family drama that took me away from the plot I wanted to see. Plus, when all was said and done, the episode was kind of a one-and-done scenario that had a cliffhanger that had more impact on the plot than the entire episode, much like 305 (only 305 definitely stepped it up from this episode).

That being said, I did like the moments that you mentioned. What made the episode not a complete dud was the idea that they did stress the fact that Felicity wasn't jealous of Oliver and Sara (although, admittedly, she at least looked like she wasn't too happy about them being together, but that would just be human nature, not bitter jealousy) but that she felt inadequate next to Sara without being bitter or angry towards Sara. It showed at least somewhat that the writers took the effort and care to make sure that Felicity's feelings were legitimate and not just cliche or over-dramatic.

The only problems I had was that something just didn't feel right about nearly every character in the episode, except Diggle. Some of the actions by them did not feel quite right, and they felt purposefully plot-driven rather than character-driven. I actually did like the scene when Laurel apologized because I was kind of upset with her after she kicked Sara out of her house in the first place and threw a bottle at her, but it really was Sara's decision to bring Oliver to the dinner that caused all of the drama for the dinner (which, again, was a plot-driven reason and not for a character-driven one, although Sara being nervous around her family was a definite trait of hers that I liked), so I get your anger. To me, since Sara went through about 6 years of hell, it would feel strange for her to apologize at that point since we know that she definitely paid a price for it, but it would have given more to the Laurel/Sara relationship if she did.

Laurel and Sara's relationship, like Laurel and Oliver's relationship, kind of started off on negative note that somewhat tarnishes their moments, as if they dug a hole and all nice moments between them are them trying to climb up to a normal, friendly relationship. I like their nice moments, but sometimes it gets kind of "Why do they even love each other?" to me.

I do love the moments that you mentioned though. Diggle's concern for Felicity, Felicity getting a big hero moment, Sara's appreciation for Felicity, Oliver's line to Felicity (although it was one of the things that did feel off in the episode to me), they were all nice and always make me wonder for a few seconds as to why I didn't love the episode in the first place.

• Love 1

All I knew going into it from glancing at internet comments about the episode was that it was a supposed "Felicity-centric" episode, so with that in mind, the episode did kind of disappointed me a bit because of the sudden Lance family drama that took me away from the plot I wanted to see. Plus, when all was said and done, the episode was kind of a one-and-done scenario that had a cliffhanger that had more impact on the plot than the entire episode, much like 305 (only 305 definitely stepped it up from this episode).

The early promotion of this episode was all about the Lance Family Drama, and I remember there were even comparisons to [berlanti's previous show] Brothers and Sisters. And then because the episode got postponed because of the Olympics, and fandom was pissed as fuck about the lunge, the social media promotion changed their tune to Felicity-centric.

• Love 3

The early promotion of this episode was all about the Lance Family Drama, and I remember there were even comparisons to [berlanti's previous show] Brothers and Sisters. And then because the episode got postponed because of the Olympics, and fandom was pissed as fuck about the lunge, the social media promotion changed their tune to Felicity-centric.

That's hilarious and sad to me all at the same time, thanks for the context XD.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 4

I'm not a Laurel Lance fan, but it still bothers me to this day that they had Laurel apologize to Sara at the end of the episode and [bold] yet Sara never apologized for sleeping with her sister's boyfriend. [/bold] I just really hated the way they handled this relationship and it's why I don't really buy it now.

It gets overlooked by everyone but Sara actually DID apologize to Laurel. After Laurel tells her to get out of her apartment, Sara turns and says she is sorry for everything and that of course is when Laurel threw the glass at the door. So I’m good with that. Sara wanted to explain everything and she did apologize even as Laurel was kicking her out of her life so I don’t mind that Sara doesn’t do another apology.

I don’t even mind that Laurel takes all the blame; I just hate how her apology really wasn’t an apology, but rather her equating her life in Starling with Sara and Oliver’s missing five years. Yep, you all went down on the Gambit, sure.

I roll my eyes at the stupidity required to get Oliver to that dinner but I don’t have a problem with any of the stuff with Felicity and that’s where I believe some issues still arise, with the “Your Girl” line. Some find it patronizing, but I think it was all around endearing given the circumstances.

• Love 6

That's hilarious and sad to me all at the same time, thanks for the context XD.

No problem. It was also during the filming of this episode that Guggenheim tweeted that KC was giving an Emmy-worthy performance. Which I guess helped me realize he was a complete an utter hack, right at the same time I was getting really into fandom, and started reading spoilers.

• Love 2

No problem. It was also during the filming of this episode that Guggenheim tweeted that KC was giving an Emmy-worthy performance. Which I guess helped me realize he was a complete an utter hack, right at the same time I was getting really into fandom, and started reading spoilers.

Technically he didn't say KC. He said he watched a scene with both KC/SA that was Emmy worthy. He could have been talking about SA... Edited by Morrigan2575

Haha, okay, but since I've watched the hallway scene and I know how it went and how the blackhole of chemistry made it super awkward, and gave me the "please end soon, scene, because I cannot take the secondhand embarrassment much longer" hibbie jibbies... He's still a hack.

Haha, okay, but since I've watched the hallway scene and I know how it went and how the blackhole of chemistry made it super awkward, and gave me the "please end soon, scene, because I cannot take the secondhand embarrassment much longer" hibbie jibbies... He's still a hack.

I don't think there is anything on Arrow that I would call Emmy worthy, except maybe the S1 stunts but those are long gone.  I've also never watched this episode in it's entirety so I can't offer an opinion on the quality of acting in this scene.  However, as I recall quite a few reviewers praised both SA and KC's performances in that hallway scene.  So, while I doubt it was Emmy worthy, it seemed to be considered a strong performance by MSM.   MG has admitted he has a penchant for being hyperbolic, so I'm sure this was just his way of saying great scene.  

Ignoring the WTF of the situation, I thought it was the best acting SA and KC had done together. Its been quite awhile since I've watched it, but I thought it played to their strengths. KC got to be full on "What about me" with a touch of bitchiness. SA got to unleash on Laurel. It felt honest.

• Love 6

I still rank the LL/OQ Hallway fights as one of my favorite scenes of that season, if not the series (like top 50). Granted, there are still other scenes I like better and definitely better one-liners & other character moments. But as a cohesive scene it was really good, felt authentic & raw and moved the show to a new destination. It's definitely on the top of my fav LL's scenes, if I ever made a list ~ but that list is not something to write home about.

• Love 2

214 (Time of Death) – Oliver Queen’s voiceover intro:
Oliver (voiceover): "My name is Oliver Queen. After five years on a hellish island, I have come home with only one goal-- to save my city. But to do so, I can't be the killer I once was. To honor my friend's memory, I must be someone else. I must be something else."

214 (Time of Death) - - Felicity feels left out when Sara, Oliver and Diggle start comparing their respective battle scars:
(Sara is sparring with shirtless Oliver and shirtless Diggle, all with sticks, while Felicity watches.  Diggle hits Sara on her head with his stick.)
Felicity: "Dig!"
Diggle: "Sara, I'm so sorry." 
Sara: "It's okay. I'm fine." 
Oliver: "Let me see. Let me see. She's bleeding, but it's not deep." 
Sara: "Good, I can't take any more scars. Speaking of - mortar round?"
Diggle: "Yeah.  IED. The Paktika province in Afghanistan. Good eye."
Sara: "I know my wounds. Grenade. Algiers."
Oliver: "I've never been hit by a grenade." 
Diggle: "All those scars - you've never been hit by a grenade?" 
Oliver: "Arrow, knife, knife. A lot of bullets, no grenades."
Diggle: "I've got myself a new bullet. 9 millimeter, right there." 
Sara: "38. I'm mostly swords, and a spear."
Felicity (standing off to the side): "I have a scar. It's in my mouth. I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 16. Three stitches. They were really badly impacted."
Sara: "You're still cute." 
Oliver: "We should get going. You don't want to be late for your own welcome home party."
Sara: "You didn't have to throw me a party, Ollie." 
Oliver: "Sara, when you come back from the dead, you get a party. It's a Queen family tradition."
Sara: "I don't know how well that's going to work with the Lance family tradition of holding grudges forever."
Oliver: "She'll come around." 
Sara: "Maybe. And maybe we should keep what's going on between you and me between us. For Laurel's sake."
Oliver: "I get that."
Sara: "I survived Lian Yu and Nanda Parbat, I guess I can handle a cocktail party."
Oliver: "I wouldn't be so sure."

214 (Time of Death) – Oliver questions what Felicity is wearing:
(Felicity, wearing workout clothes, is punching the bag when Sara enters the Arrowcave.)
Sara: "Plant your feet. Strong foundation. Equals stronger punch. (Felicity punches bad) Nice. If this is for self defense, I'd recommend Wing Chun. It uses your opponent's strength against him. So it's ideal for smaller people... (Sara punches bag) like us."
Felicity: "You seem like you can take care of yourself just fine."
Sara: "You okay?"
Oliver (entering): "Where are we with the skeleton key? (To Felicity) And what are you wearing?"
Felicity: "I just thought I'd - (pointing to bag)...  I'm cross referencing Walczak's known associates with decryption experts on the NSA watch list, but it's taking some time."
Oliver: "Which we don't have. Okay, the key is not just a code breaker. In the wrong hands, it's a weapon." 
Felicity: "Whoever killed Walczak, in addition to finding creepy uses for clock parts, is very good at covering his tracks."
Oliver: "Lucky for us. Uncovering tracks is what you're very good at." 
Felicity: "Right."

214 (Time of Death) – Felicity electronically battles the Clock King:
Clock King (over comms): "Extract as much money as you can in 90 seconds... Stop! Get out!"
Bad Guy (over comms): "We've still got 20 seconds."
Clock King (seeing the Arrow on video surveillance feed, over comms): "No, you don't."
Oliver: "They're already gone!"
Felicity (over comms): "I think I have an idea where. The skeleton key operates on an OFDM wireless signal. I'm picking up a transmission signal in the alley next to the bank."
Clock King (over comms): "But you won't be heading there." 
Oliver (over comms): "What was that?" 
Felicity (over comms): "He's hacked our transmission."
Clock King (over comms): "My associates may be headed to the alley, but the 9:40 bus from Crescent Circle is about to collide with the Starlight Freight Express." 
Felicity (over comms): "Oh, my God, he's right, the 9:10's headed for the track at Amherst."
Clock King (over comms): "By my calculations, you can't be in two places at once."
Oliver (to Sara): "He doesn't know there's two of us."
(Cut to Sara going to the Clock King's location.)
Clock King (to the other bad guys): "Come on! Come on!"
Felicity (over comms): "He's in the transit department network! He's - he's hacked the signaling system. I - I can't get the crossing barriers down!" 
Oliver (over comms): "Those buses have radios. Can you break in - wave them off?" 
Felicity (over comms): "No, he's keeping me out."
(Clock King and his associates escape from Sara. Oliver stops the bus from colliding with the passing train.)

214 (Time of Death) – Felicity feels that her place on Team Arrow is being threatened by Sara:
Oliver: "What do we know?"
Felicity: "He hacked into our frequency, somehow gained remote access, but I upgraded our firewall. Now he won't be able to talk into our comms even if he had a bazooka. You know, computer science-wise."
Oliver: "Good."
Sara: "I think I have something that might help us track him down."
Felicity: "I can run that to the lab."
Sara: "I spent a year on the freighter studying genetic blood anomalies. I kind of know my way around a microscope. There's some significant cell damage and the platelet count is extremely low. (To Felicity) Felicity, can I use your computer? (Felicity barely has time to nod before Sara is using her computer) Macgregor's Syndrome. It's a genetic defect that creates fluid build-up in the lungs, which leads to oxygen deprivation and multi system organ failure. It's terminal."
Felicity: "But the syndrome may give us a way to ID him. People with Macgregor's are extremely rare, and people with Macgregor's and a degree in computer science are even more rare... William Tockman. Former encryption engineer at, wait for it - Kord Enterprises." 
Diggle: "What's the point? He'll be dead before he can spend all the money."
Felicity: "He's not stealing the money for himself. He's using it for his family. His sister, specifically. She's got cystic fibrosis and needs a lung transplant."
Oliver: "Give me an address, please." 
Felicity: "52 Nelson Way."
(Cut to Oliver and Sara on motorcycles arriving at alleyway between buildings.)
Oliver: "This area doesn't look very residential." 
Sara: "There. That's Tockman's ride."
Oliver (over comms): "Tockman's not here. Just some device." 
Felicity (over comms): "I'm on it. Whatever's in the truck is transmitting the same OFDM signal Tockman used at the bank."
Oliver (over comms): "Can you trace it?"
Felicity (over comms): "As we speak. It's leading back to our network. Tockman's piggybacking off my hack. It's a trap. He - he's trying to break into our network."
Clock King (voice coming from computers): "I'm not trying. I am. Where are you? Are you home? Are you safe? Somewhere you think you're safe? Somewhere without windows for anyone to creep through? Underground, perhaps? You think no one can get to you? You think no one can touch you in the safety of your hidey hole?"
Oliver (over comms): "Felicity."
Clock King (from computers): "But I can."
(Electronics explode in the Arrowcave, and Diggle protects Felicity.)

214 (Time of Death) – Diggle reassures Felicity that she's irreplaceable on the team:
Oliver: "How bad?"
Felicity: "Tockman used the skeleton key to penetrate our firewall. And recode our security.  Basically, he told our system to commit suicide. And it did. Bravo, Clock King."
Oliver: "Sara stopped Tockman's men before they could get away with the cash. So Tockman is going to be looking for another score. Maybe we should give him one. Would you call Walter and have him liquidate 500,000 shares of QC stock. Put it in cash in my vault at Starling National, and ask him to do it tonight."
Diggle: "If Tockman wants to make another score -"
Oliver: "Who better to rob than a suddenly cash-flush Oliver Queen?" 
Sara: "And what if he doesn't take the bait?" 
Oliver: "That's a good point. Make it 800,000 shares." 
Felicity: "Okay."
Sara: "What can I do?" 
Felicity: "Go to your dinner. Your family's probably waiting for you." 
Sara: "Right. Dinner at Laurel's. This is more important." 
Felicity: "You can't do anything here, Sara. Your family's important, too."
Sara: "Yeah."
Oliver: "Hey. You should go."
Sara: "Will you go with me?" 
Oliver: "What?"
Sara: "I know I've wanted us all to get together for a while now. It's just, now that it's actually here, I'm nervous. I mean, last time I saw Laurel, it didn't go very well, and It'd be helpful to not have to go alone." 
Oliver: "I should probably stay here." 
Felicity: "What is it exactly you think you can do here to help? Hmm?"
Oliver: "Call if you need us."
Diggle: "Yep. (Oliver and Sara leave) You know, it's not your fault, Felicity."
Felicity: "Really? Which one of the rest of you put up the security safeguards? Maybe if it had been Sara, we wouldn't be in this mess." 
Diggle: "I know we haven't talked about this, but it must be difficult for you, seeing them together."
Felicity: "This isn't about them being together. This is about me. Okay? Sara can analyze blood. She can kick ass. She can do anything. (Sighs) And the one thing I'm supposed to be good at, I'm failing at miserably. And why do you even need me now that you have her?"
Diggle: "Because you're irreplaceable, Felicity." 
Felicity: "I have a lot of work to do."

214 – Oliver accompanies Sara to a Lance family dinner at Laurel’s apartment:
Dinah: “Laurel, Sara's here. (Opens door) Oh.”
Sara: “Hey, Mom.”
Oliver: “Hi.” (Hands her flowers)
Dinah: “Oliver. Well, thank you, these are lovely.”
Oliver: “Thank you.”
Sara: “Hey.”
Laurel: “I don't remember your last name being Lance.”
Oliver: “Well, yeah, I certainly didn't want to crash your family dinner, but then Sara and I ran into each other, and she mentioned it.”
Sara: “And I told him how Dad was making his famous chicken cacciatore.
Quentin: “Actually – (Bumps into Dinah) excuse me! We're, uh, we're - Oliver.”
Oliver: “Hey, Mr. Lance.”
Quentin: “Yeah. Um, we're having pizza. Um, I'm sorry. I had a little incident in the kitchen. I guess that's what happens when you haven't used an oven in six years. Want to grab a slice?”
Oliver: “Are you still teaching, Mrs. Lance?”
Dinah: “Yes, I am. Greek and Medieval History at Central City University.”
Quentin: “Wow. You could probably give them notice.”
Dinah: “Why would I do that?”
Quentin: “Well, I mean, you're going to come back to Starling, right?”
Dinah: “No. I'm not moving back to Starling, Quentin.”
Quentin: “Well, Sara's back.”
Dinah: “I have a new life in Central City and, um, I have a wonderful job.”
Quentin: “Well, there's jobs here.”
Dinah: “More than a job. Um, I have… someone.”
Quentin: “Oh.”
Oliver: “Congratulations.”
Sara: “You know, it's great, Mom. You deserve to be happy. Everybody does.” (Looks at Oliver, who looks back. Laurel sees this exchange of looks.)
Laurel: “Ohh. You've got to be kidding me.”
Sara: “What?”
Laurel: “You've been back like, what, a week? And you're not even denying it.”
Sara: “It's - it's complicated.”
Laurel: “Of course it is. It's you.”
Quentin: “Laurel, please.”
Laurel: “Dad, you are no better than they are. I mean, what did you think, Mom was just going to sit around and wait for you for six years to bake her chicken?”
Sara: “Okay, Laurel, enough!”
Laurel: “And sweep her back off her feet?”
Sara: “Enough, okay?”
Laurel: “Yeah, you know what, it is enough! Invite yourselves out when you're done.” (Leaves the table in a huff)

214 - After the disastrous Lance family dinner where Laurel learns that Oliver is again romantically involved with Sara, she and Oliver have a talk in the hallway, and Oliver is finally fed up with Laurel:
Oliver: "Hey!"
Laurel: "You are unbelievable! You lecture me on how I need to repair my relationship with Sara, when you're the one who messed it up in the first place, by screwing her. And now you're doing it again."
Oliver: "You're right. This is all my fault."
Laurel: "Yeah, yeah. Yes, it is."
Oliver: "Is you losing your job, doing drugs, being a drunk, is that my fault? Is that your family's fault? Or are you going to blame Tommy for dying?"
Laurel: "Screw you, Oliver."
Oliver: "I have stood by you through - through everything. The DUI. Losing your job. Laurel, I was concerned about your well-being when you were trying to get my mother the death penalty!"
Laurel: "Yeah, you've been a real, stand-up king of a guy!"
Oliver: "Laurel, do you think you're the only one that's having a hard time?! You think you're the only one with family issues? You - you've no idea what is going on with my family right now! But I am still standing here, and you are still blaming everybody but yourself."
Laurel: "Are you done?"
Oliver: "Yeah. Yeah, I'm done. I'm done taking the blame... and I'm done caring. So go have a drink. Get wasted. Go - go to Verdant. I'll pay for it... I have loved you for half my life, but I'm done running after you."
(Oliver turns away from her and walks back into the apartment. Laurel leaves in the other direction.)

214 (Time of Death) – Felicity goes out into the field and uses her tech smarts to defeat the Clock King:
(Oliver enters the Arrowcave where Diggle and Sara are waiting.)
Diggle: "Have you seen Felicity?" 
Oliver: "No. Wait, why?"
Diggle: "I went to Big Belly to get some take-out. When I came back, she was gone. I haven't seen her for hours." 
Oliver (answering his cell phone): "Hey.". 
Felicity (on phone): "Tockman took the bait. The money you had Walter deposit. I'm reading his signal at Starling National." 
Oliver (on phone): "Wait - how do you know that?" 
Felicity (on phone): "Because I'm here."
Oliver (on phone): "What?!"
(Cut to Oliver, Diggle and Sara surprising Felicity at Starling National Bank.)
Felicity: "Aahh!"
Oliver: "Ahem. What are you doing here?"
Felicity: "I'm tracking Tockman. He fried our computers, so I'm using the bank's to trace the skeleton key's signature." 
Sara: "And the jacket?"
Felicity: "I was cold."
Oliver: "Diggle, get her out of here."
(Alarm sounds.)
Felicity: "Tockman disabled the bank's security system. I re-abled it." 
Diggle (watching surveillance monitor): "They're blocking our way out."
Oliver (leaving): "I'll deal with them."
Felicity: "Tockman's signal's strong. He's here, he's close."
Diggle: "Find him, Felicity." 
Clock King (over building intercom): "No need. I'll tell you exactly where I am. I'm everywhere. At the moment, I'm particularly focused on the sub-level. The gas mains, specifically."
Felicity: "Oh, my God. He shut down the gas main release."
Sara: "And why is that bad?"
Diggle: "The build-up could cause an explosion."
Felicity: "It will. It'll blow up three square blocks."
Diggle (leaving): "No, it won't."
(Cut to Oliver taking down Tockman's associates. Cut to Diggle going to gas main release.)
Felicity: "Wait. Tockman overplayed his hand. The gas main's in the city's network. That's where I live."
Sara: "Am I supposed to understand that?"
Felicity: "Ohh. In trying to blow us up, he gave me a way to track him down."
Sara: "That I understood."
Oliver (over comms): "What's happening?" 
(Sara runs to part of building to find Tockman, but he points a gun at her.)
Felicity (knocking Sara out of the way): "Watch out!"
Clock King: "You don't even know why I'm doing this. The money's not for me! I'm doing this all for her!"
Sara: "Doesn't make it right."
Clock King: "Tempus fugit." 
Felicity: "Time flies." 
(She presses button and Tockman's cell phone explodes; he falls to the ground.)
Sara: "What the hell was that?" 
Felicity: "His cell phone. I uploaded the same virus he used on my gear in the foundry. I didn't just kill him, did I?"
Sara: "Just knocked him out." 
Felicity: "We did it."
Sara: "You did it."

214 (Time of Death) – Oliver reassures Felicity that she’ll always be his girl:
(Sara is stitching up shirtless, bra-wearing Felicity's wound, while Oliver and Diggle stand with their backs to them.)
Oliver; "Are you sure you don't want to go to the hospital?"
Felicity: "Mm-mm. You guys never go to the hospital. Besides, Dig gave me some of those aspirins. Are you spinning?"
Oliver: "Aspirin?" 
Diggle: "Oxycodone." 
Sara: "I wouldn't be here if you hadn't been so brave. Thank you." 
Felicity: "It was nothing. I've always wanted to say I've taken a bullet for someone, and now I can. So really I should be thanking you."
Sara: "All done. Not bad, but you're still going to have a scar." 
Felicity: "My own scar. Yay." 
(Oliver comes over to Felicity.)
Oliver: “You all right?  Diggle had mentioned that maybe you were feeling a little left out.”
Felicity: “What? No! (He looks at her) I’m just used to being your girl.  I mean, not your girl girl. Your girl.  I know it sounds like the same word, but it means something different in my head.”
(Oliver cups her face with his left hand, and she leans her cheek into it.)
Oliver: “You will always be my girl, Felicity.”

214 (Time of Death) – Laurel reconciles with Sara:
(Laurel enters just as Oliver is leaving Verdant where Sara is bartending.)
Laurel: “You can go. I'm not here to kill her or anything. (To Sara) I remember you used to bartend at that skeevy bar with the peanut shells all over the floor.”
Sara: “Yeah. Oblivion.”
Laurel: “Right. I'm not here for a drink or anything.”
Sara: “Then why are you here?”
Laurel: “Because I realized that I went on that boat with you, too. And I've been slowly drowning for all of these years. And after every heartbreak or setback or loss, I sank deeper into the dark water. And so when I saw you, so beautiful, and so alive, I realized that I'm not those things. Not anymore. So please - please don't hate me, Sara. Please. (Sara moves over and hugs here) God, I missed you.”

214 (Time of Death) - DELETED SCENE: Dinah says goodbye to Quentin: 
(Inside the SCPD police station)
Dinah: "Quentin."
Quentin: "Dinah. What are you - ah, what are you doing here?"
Dinah: "Oh, um, I'm heading back to Central City. I've got to get back to my job, my life."
Quentin: "Yeah. That sounds like you got a lot going on back there."
Dinah: "Yeah, I do. But... I'm not going to disappear again. I"m going to be there for the girls and for you, I promise. I'm so sorry about how you found out about Jeff and me."
Quentin: "Look, let's forget about the whole dinner thing. I don't know what I was thinking."
Dinah: "Well, you were thinking there was still a connection between us. And there is. There always will be. You were my first love. You are the father of my children. And last year, well, you helped me forgive myself for letting Sara go with Oliver. Helped me give myself permission to live again. And I thank you for that."
Quentin: "What are ex-husbands for?"
Dinah: "Yeah."
Quentin: "I'm glad you're happy, Dinah."
Dinah (kisses him): "You make yourself happy, too, Quentin."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Those gifs are great but I feel like this is one of the only times we see that. Every other Olicity or proto Olicity argument/break up it seems that Diggle is Team Oliver. 

I feel like this episode is entirely warped around needing that Hall Fight.