Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3: news & updates

(edited)

Bryan Fuller is talking about Season 3 being a "paradigm shift." Given that there is going to be a reboot of the core Will/Hannibal relationship, along with character deaths, reprises and introductions, and the writers will be meeting to break the new season within a matter of days, it seemed appropriate to have a thread for informed discussion and to share news, interviews and updates.

Edited by heyerchick
(edited)

Digital Spy: Hannibal season 3: Bryan Fuller hints at cast exits, new regular

Deadline Hollywood: EMMYS: Bryan Fuller Hints About Season 3 At ‘Hannibal’ Awardsline Screening

With Hannibal leaving Will and Alana fatally wounded in the season 2 finale, which screened yesterday, Fuller exclaimed that “There is going to be a painful delay (in season 3) and you won’t find out in the first episode who survives. The first episode focuses on Dr. Bedelia du Maurier (Hannibal’s therapist played by Gillian Anderson).”  As far as who survives, “It’s more like episode 2 or 3,” said Fuller.

HWHills: New Hannibal Season 3 Will Spoiler Teasers Revealed By Producer

In their spoiler chat reveal, here’s what they had to say: ” While executive producer Bryan Fuller promises that there could be multiple victims, we can officially rule out Will Graham. However, both Will’s physical and emotional scars will be evident in Season 3, which Fuller is approaching as a complete reboot.

“Will Graham has to change because of this experience,” Fuller says. “He has to be a different version of the man we’ve known. All the conversations I’ve had with Hugh Dancy have been about an entirely new Will Graham. Who is he now?”

TV Line: Hannibal EP Talks Bloody Finale: Who's Dead, Which Brutal Scene Got Moved, Why

Boarded That Plane

...essentially, after credits, that scene on the airplane is the first scene of Season 3. And the fun thing about the Season 3 opener is that we’re going to get into the specifics of exactly why Bedelia is in that chair, how she came to be in that chair, how it was actually an intriguing, smart decision for her, as opposed to Hannibal Lecter hijacking her and kidnapping her. I think she is absolutely where she has chosen to be, and how she made that choice is the hinge of Episode 1, Season 3.

And then Bedelia felt like she had a story with Hannibal Lecter that was yet to be told, and it was a story of equals in some sense. Because I do believe that Bedelia is perhaps the smartest person on the show, and certainly enough to hold her wits against Hannibal Lecter. And I want to continue exploring what that’s like for Hannibal.

Will is going to have all sorts of unexpected allies in Season 3, some who we’ve met, some who we’ve not met. And he probably shouldn’t trust any of them.

Yahoo TV: 'Hannibal': Bryan Fuller Talks 'Brutal' Season 2 Finale, Will's Fate, and Plans for Season 3

You've teased before that Season 3 would be Hannibal on the run, and the final tag of the finale shows us that's the case, but Bedelia! I didn't see that one coming. What more can you say about the plans for Season 3?

Oh good! Right now the plan for Season 3 is a combination of the novel Hannibal and the novel Hannibal Rising, mashed up in a very specific way. But most importantly, the gamesmanship that we have seen between Will and Hannibal is now all on the up-and-up. Everything has been exposed. Everyone knows what the agenda is between those two gentlemen, in terms of the cat-and-mouse, or cat-and-cat, of it all. I think now the fun is to see Hannibal sparring with a new partner while Will Graham is trying to hunt him down with a little help from the Vergers.

Will and Hannibal are the central couple of the show. There's a very different kind of show if Will dies, but it would be hard to find a better partner — in whatever way — for Hannibal.
Absolutely. The tale of the series is the tale of Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham. So I think the challenge for us, as storytellers, is to keep shifting that paradigm, that dynamic, so it has a freshness every season. The first season, Will was totally victimized and was not aware of what was happening to him or who was doing it to him until the very last moments of the finale. In the second season he is well aware of who is responsible, and then it is a matter of how does he capture his prey? And now the third season is a completely different dynamic between Will and Hannibal, which I'm very excited to get into and start exploring.

Edited by heyerchick

omg. Could Jack die, and one of Will's allies be Bella? So bittersweet. We'll lose Laurence, but get more Gina.

I hope Will and Hannibal's relationship remains central to the show. It'll be interesting to see who Will becomes next season. I agree that after all these events he must change.

(edited)

Radio Times: Hugh Dancy movie The Happy Prince to be shot in Munich

The Hannibal actor will star in Rupert Everett’s directorial debut

Dark comedy The Happy Prince follows Oscar Wilde’s final days and sees Hugh Dancy play Robbie Ross, Wilde’s best friend and the object of his affection.

The Importance of Being Ernest actor Rupert Everett has written the script, and will direct and star as Wilde in the movie, alongside a meaty cast – including Pride and Prejudice’s Colin Firth, War Horse’s Emily Watson and The Fully Monty’s Tom Wilkinson.

Principal photography will start in October at the Bavaria Film Studios in Munich and then move on to other European locations including Italy, Belgium, France and the UK.

BBC Films, Lionsgate UK Raindog Films are heading up the €10m project.

I’m definitely excited for Hugh’s new project but I have to wonder how filming will impact on his availability for Hannibal S3. If I'm being completely honest, it's Will Graham that I'm invested in and my interest in Hannibal and Bedelia's European Vacation is limited. And I do appreciate how good Mads and Gillian are at their craft. Fuller is a damned good showrunner but a few warning flags have gone up for me recently, with Bedelia's inexplicable presence on the plane next to Hannibal, Fuller's plan to base the first episode of the new season around Bedelia, and his stating that Bedelia is the smartest person on the show, Hannibal's equal, immune to his manipulations, exploring their relationship dynamic etc etc. It's giving me a bit of that special snowflake sort of sinking feeling.  

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 1
(edited)

http://tvline.com/2014/06/03/nashville-season-3-spoilers-juliette-pregnant-hayden-panettiere/ 

Hannibal related content:

Question: I’m still reeling from Hannibal‘s Season 2 finale, but I’ve got to ask: Was I the only person who wasn’t sure until the last second whether Hannibal was going to try to kiss or kill Will Graham in that final bloodbath of a scene? –Peter

Ausiello: Good grief, you’ve got a twisted mind, Peter! (Just like me.) So let’s ask showrunner Bryan Fuller about the homoerotic undertones between killer and profiler that ramped up over the course of the season. “I don’t think they wanted to get it on at all!” exclaims Fuller. “But sure, the homoeroticism was absolutely intentional. If you could’ve heard me cackling in the editing room, you would take it with the naughty wink with which it was intended for a certain portion of the audience.” Putting it another way, “Will Graham’s heterosexual,” Fuller adds. “Hannibal Lecter, though, is the devil, so I think he’s turned on by anything that’s alive, and he can find a sensuality and a sexuality in all manner of things — because he has an awareness and a view of the world that is truly unique. So, no, I wouldn’t put it past him.”

Question: I know it’s early, but any intel on Season 3 of Hannibal would be appreciated. –Kayla

Ausiello: Bloody well, then! Fuller promises a “very ambitious” slate of episodes that will focus on Will Graham’s quest to find and capture Dr. Lecter, a quest that will begin with Hugh Dancy’s addled profiler “getting to the roots of what makes this cannibal who he is.” Expect some plot points to be drawn from Thomas Harris’ Hannibal Rising origin story — or at least some ” impressions of who Hannibal was before [he began to interact with] any of [the show's] characters,” Fuller adds. That said, just because the sociopath is out of the bag (so to speak), don’t expect Hannibal to press pause on his extrakillricular activities. “Oh, I don’t think he worries about such things,” Fuller says, with a laugh, when asked if our titular cannibal will put away his knives now that the FBI is openly pursuing him.

ETA  Because, out of habit, I put it in spoiler tags.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

Another spoiler-y question

Question: Any update on whether or not Gillian Anderson will be a series regular on Season 3 of Hannibal? —Gwen

Ausiello: Executive producer Bryan Fuller previously told us he’d “love, love, love” for that to happen — and it turns out he’s not alone. “Oh God. Absolutely!” series star Hugh Dancy responded when asked if he’d welcome more interaction between his addled FBI profiler Will Graham and Anderson’s mysterious psychiatrist Bedelia Du Maurier. “First of all, ‘What are you doing on that plane, Bedelia? Great choice!’” the actor says with a chuckle about Season 2′s closing scene — in which Anderson’s character fled the country (first-class style) with Mads Mikkelsen’s titular cannibal. “As far as anybody could tell, [bedelia] had vanished off the face of the planet. So, it would be interesting to understand” how she came to be Hannibal’s traveling companion and “what their history is.” As Dancy notes, “Hannibal has this M.O. of taking people and guiding them toward their worse, or as he might see it, better selves. And by and large, they go off and do terrible things and they die. But both with Will and now, Bedelia, [Hannibal] has done that, but also taken much more interest in them.” Dancy adds he’d like to see — given their parallel relationships with Dr. Lecter — whether or not Will can use Bedelia for leverage. In other words, cross your fingers and toes that Anderson’s name appears in the opening credits come fall.

Bedelia was helpful to Will and Jack, and Hannibal seemed desperate to have her for a friend and not just a therapist.  Bedelia knows how dangerous Lecter is, she flew off with him so she could study him "in the wild" so to speak; doing her own version of going deep undercover.  I can imagine her pretending to be his friend or even actually cultivating some friendly feelings toward Lecter.  Will is clever enough to use that to his advantage, I can even imagine Bedelia helping Will use that to his advantage.

• Love 1

I think the Bedelia/Hannibal thing could turn into another Will/Hannibal-type power struggle, with Bedelia using Hannibal's apparent desperation for friendship and understanding to try and maintain some kind of power in the relationship.

• Love 1
(edited)

Stuff coming out of the Hannibal panels at Comic Con:

New Hannibal Season 3 Info:

- Episode 1 is Hannibal and Bedelia and it starts a year after the events of the S2 finale.  Episode 4 will fill in the missing year.

- First half of the season is pursuing Hannibal.
- Alana is back; dead or alive, Caroline doesn’t know.

- Kacey Rohl in season 3.  Abigail may die, but she will be in season 3

- Crodell and Pazzi introduced in episodes 2 and 3.  Lady Murasaki in episode 4.  Francis Dolarhyde in episode 8.

- Season 3 cuisine is Italian

Caroline Dhavernas said Alana and Will have feelings for each other but she saw Hannibal as stability in the midst of all the chaos and that’s why she went with him.

Bryan Fuller says he would love to do a surreal musical number in Hannibal's mind palace.  "I want to see Mads Mikkelsen dance like Christopher Walken in 'Weapon of Choice.'"

And because Bryan Fuller is one sick puppy:

"We were going to have Mason scoop out his sister’s uterus and implant it into a body that had its arms and legs removed that would be used as an incubator."

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

Looking forward to seeing Chilton's eye patch, and/or whatever amazing scar makeup they have in store for him. This is such great news, I knew that little bastard couldn't be killed off that easily. 

• Love 1

I vote glass eye for Chilton just because.

Is it just me or is Caroline extra active this post season? I don't think she's done this much last year. This was the second or third panel she attended. A fake-out about her fate perhaps? Or as fan theories go, perhaps she really will go blind.

(edited)

Chilton's such a bastard.  I love him.  I'm on the bandwagon that speculates Chilty is going to end up with book!Will's messed up face.

Or as fan theories go, perhaps she really will go blind.

I'm guessing paralyzed and needs a wheelchair.  Yeah, I know - Mason - but I'd be shocked if Alana survived without a permanent back injury (if she survived at all).

Edited by GreyBunny

Some Margot Verger news from AfterEllen:

Bryan said we only saw half of Margot’s story in Season 2 and that Season 3 will tell the other half from the original Red Dragon. She does have a love interest that has already been cast, but Bryan would not divulge any names or further details.

“I think we will definitely be seeing other sides of her and we’ve been talking a lot about a paradigm for a big episode for her and we’re talking a lot about—we’re inspired a lot by Bound,” Bryan said, referencing the famous lesbian mob movie from 1996. “By lesbians conspiring!”

http://www.tvguide.com/news/Mega-Buzz-The-Blacklist-New-Girl-Gotham-1086469.aspx

" I'm dying for some information on the new season of Hannibal. Got anything? — Brett

As creator Bryan Fuller already said, the Season 3 opener, which picks up nearly a year after the events of the Season 2 finale, will be all about Hannibal and Bedelia's fabulous new life in Europe — except it may not be so fabulous. Although the duo poses as husband and wife while Hannibal stalks a new victim, it won't be long before one of the locals discovers the murderous truth about Dr. Lecter. Even worse, I hear Bedelia could be the reason the cat gets out of the bag! How many betrayals must Hannibal suffer?!"

Way to lie low, Hannibal. I guess he's not that different from most serial killers. He can't even suppress his urges.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/364217-exclusive-bryan-fuller-hannibal-season-3-talk/

" We finished breaking the first arcs of the season,” Fuller said. “That’s the first seven episodes and we have scripts for the first four in. I’m finishing polishing the first episode and ready to jump into [episode] two. We’ll start shooting in October. We were so snowy and wintry in season two we want to get some autumnal colors in there.”

As for newcomers joining the series, he added, “We’re talking to actors about certain roles and we’re hoping to land those actors because there are people we’re very, very excited about that will be wonderful additions to the cast. In the next couple of weeks we’ll be able to trickle out some news.”

On the topic of Lady Murasaki and how she will fit into the season, Fuller says she’ll be brought to the small screen with a few adjustments, similar to the approach they took with Margot Verger (Katharine Isabelle) last season. “We’re taking the spirit of the character because of the events that happen in their lives. Her relationship to Hannibal will be more damaged and different. That will definitely be interesting to the fans of [Thomas Harris'] literature.”

They are shooting much later this year. Confirmation that it's premiering in April/summer next season?

Edited by kwerkee

A little more news on Season 3 from Ausiello:

We probably haven’t seen the last of the grossly disfigured Mason Verger. Producers are currently casting the recurring role of Cordell, the “quiet, very intelligent and definitely creepy” personal doctor to Michael Pitt’s sociopathic meat-packing magnate. The late-thirtysomething character is described as “attentive and gentle with Mason, a professional who cares about his work, but we get a sense he might be as sadistic as his boss — and a perfect fit to become his potential henchman.” (He’ll probably need to be comfortable working with horrifying, carnivorous pigs, too.)

http://tvline.com/2014/10/07/the-flash-captain-cold-photo-wentworth-miller-season-1/

• Love 3

Does anyone know when Season 3 starts? I'm in Will Graham withdrawal here, and keep scanning the entertainment media for a debut date, but nothing shows - even the Entertainment Weekly Winter Television Preview left it out.

Does anyone know when Season 3 starts? I'm in Will Graham withdrawal here, and keep scanning the entertainment media for a debut date, but nothing shows - even the Entertainment Weekly Winter Television Preview left it out.

It won't be back in winter. annlaw posted in the Media thread that we're to expect an April return.

• Love 1

Was just coming to post this. I really can't picture Armitage as a creepy killer (he'll always be Geraldine's sweetheart in Vicar of Dibley to me) but I don't doubt Fuller's casting choices. I didn't realise this was the season of Dolarhyde. Oh dear, I hope that doesn't mean

Freddie's

toast like in the movie (and book presumably). I so enjoy

her

If you haven't seen the last Hobbit film,

Armitage's character starts to be consumed by greed due to the cursed gold contained in the Lonely Mountain. He did a great job slowly showing Thorin giving into the madness,

so I have no doubt he'll be amazing here.

Edited by Nutjob