Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10: Goodbye, Adam Schiff!

• Start Topic

This was Steven Hill's last season as D.A. *sniff*

Created this because the episode we had discussed recently about least favorite and recurring characters was confuseded, when Richard Masur only appeared once. "Justice."

Hello! Jamie Ross!!!! Jamie came back for this, and good GOD, I want Lowell's cheekbones. And her eyes.

Ahem.

This case is sort of similar to season six's "Trophy" in that there was an overzealous ADA who wanted to win the case at any cost. Exception being that the ADA here, was the EADA, and what'sherface was Jack's assistant, who went into private practice after Jack dumped her ass, and Masur's Wolinksy became a judge.

I know it's fiction and all that, but it scares me when I watch episodes like this, because one would think that the DA wants to get the person responsible, and not just a "win" to, well win. I mean, it's kind of hollow when the victim's family don't want more investigation when it seems the wrong person is in jail. Wouldn't they want the person who actually killed their loved one?

Now I have to wait for "Thrill Seekers" I think? When Jaime comes back to defend the guy who killed that pizza delivery guy just to see how it would feel. I think we find out what the disciplinary board sanctioned her with. But, we all know Jaime is fine, because she will end up a judge in the very short lived Law & Order: Trial by Jury, four years later.

• Love 2

Chatty, if I recall correctly, Jaime was still the attorney of record. I think she didn't know that Wolinsky didn't use her tip, and that the jury convicted anyway. And it wasn't until this case, she discovered that he'd ignored it or something.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Blergh, Sundance has taken a page from TNT and it's airing the later years!

That said, I just binge watched this season and I had to laugh and laugh and laugh at "Narcosis." It's the year 2000, and the case was about this teenager that was soooooo addicted to chat rooms, emails, etc. over this prostitute, who was the murder victim.  She was responsible for making Chinese girls and women who were shipped in crates into prostitution; and how who murdered her came to be about computer addiction, I don't know.

The arguments that the defense attorney used. Chat rooms and emails "aren't real" so there was no threat! It all takes place in "virtual reality" and so doesn't exist, because it's not on PAPER or whatever. Ultimately, it turned out it wasn't the kid, who was pretending to be a well endowed 38 year old man.

• Love 2

Some of the "websites" in the L&O universe were cheesy, but - and this is just me, of course - I thought CI handled it okay-ish in "No Exit", where Goren and Eames discovered a website and chatroom to set up suicides.

And the abortion doctor murder hit list website in "The Third Horseman" was disturbing, but it was supposed to be. I think it depended on the case and if the writing was there or not.

• Love 2

Some of the "websites" in the L&O universe were cheesy, but - and this is just me, of course - I thought CI handled it okay-ish in "No Exit", where Goren and Eames discovered a website and chatroom to set up suicides.

And the abortion doctor murder hit list website in "The Third Horseman" was disturbing, but it was supposed to be. I think it depended on the case and if the writing was there or not.

Well, duh! Rene Balcer was running the show! And he was no longer involved with the mothership circa 2001 or even 2000, when this episode aired. I think he was doubing double duty at SVU and CI. or at SVU its first season as show runner. I think.

Another thing I noticed for this season, is how thinner Hill looked. Not that he was very thin, but his face didn't look as full.

• Love 1

Season 10: Episode List

1 Gunshow 1999-09-22
2 Killerz 1999-09-29
3 DNR 1999-10-06
4 Merger 1999-10-13
5 Justice 1999-11-10
6 Marathon 1999-11-17
7 Patsy 1999-11-24
8 Blood Money 1999-12-01
9 Sundown 1999-12-15
10 Loco Parentis 2000-01-05
11 Collision 2000-01-26
12 Mother's Milk 2000-02-09
13 Panic 2000-02-16
Special Entitled (1) (Law & Order: SVU) 2000-02-18
14 Entitled (2) 2000-02-18
15 Fools For Love 2000-02-23
16 Trade This 2000-03-01
17 Black, White and Blue 2000-03-22
18 Mega 2000-04-05
19 Surrender Dorothy 2000-04-26
20 Untitled 2000-05-03
21 Narcosis 2000-05-10
22 High & Low 2000-05-17
23 Stiff 2000-05-24
24 Vaya Con Dios 2000-05-24

I always watch DNR when it's on.  That poor judge.  Shot, paralyzed, and eventually dies because her husband was pissed off that she was more successful than she was.  And yet even with all the evidence staring at her in the face, she loves him too much to believe that he did it.

My favorite part of the episode is when Jack finally unleashes his utter contempt for the man: "What goes on in your head when you look at your wife?!  Knowing she'd rather die than send you to jail?  Why the hell didn't you just divorce her?!  Was the wound to your ego that great?!"  I love it when Jack voices the disgust that the viewers feel for the perps.

• Love 3

"Killerz" has got to be one of my favorite episodes of this season, even if the judge's decision annoys me to no end. And it's clear that there is no saving Jenny, the psychotic, sociopathic little murderer. More on that later.

"Justice" was when Jaime came back to defend Gordon, someone from her pre-DA days and hello, he was played by HITG! dude! He was peeping Tom dude from "Indifference" who Mike and Max questioned and who told them that Carla was back home. He was the agitator, who was the spokesperson for the gay community in "Pride", Mike's last episode, and he returned here, to be the one who was the actual murderer. This episode ended with Jaime waiting to speak to the Ethics committee, and she apologizes that she had no choice to speak to them two years ago, in the season 8 finale. Jack said her testimony 'softened the blow' yet when we saw her leave, she did NOT look happy. Whatever.

Just finished watching "Justice" and it continues to bug me, and maybe it's just a coincidence, but ever since Mike left, it seems that the cops care less and less about violating suspects' or would be suspects' civil rights.  Even Jack and Abbie have joined that club. I'll get back to the misogyny in this episode in a bit, but at the end, when they figured it was Harris' partner who killed her abuser, a detective, they didn't tell him he had rights but set up that conference that had him confessing, so that Harris, his partner, another cop, wouldn't go to prison. What.The.Fuck? His lawyer could have had that confession thrown out; some deal could have been made self defense of others or some such.

Or that no one, not a single person, in the NYPD in 2000, could help Harris. Pellam wasn't brass; he wasn't the son, brother, nephew, cousin of anyone in the brass or politically affiliated. He wasn't a decorated cop, either. Yet, everyone in his precinct and above and at 1PP, just swatted her calls away as if she were an annoying fly.  And Jack really thought she should have continued to call the Burrough commander, continue to go up the chain? His father was a beat cop, for fuck's sake.

And now for the purely shallow opinion. Why, oh why did this show continue to have wives of uniformed cops and the female beat cops themselves, be the most dowdiest, fugly, plain looking women ever? What? these types were the ONLY ones who would marry cops? Or only plain, fugly women join the force? Yet, some female detectives we managed to see were attractive. Were the NYPD uniforms shown lifers? The only attractive uni I seem to remember was Wendy Makenna's character from the first season. I'm not saying they need to be "dolled up" or wear tons of make up, but for goodness sakes, I know attractive women also join the force.

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess I'll just continue to "talk" to myself here. I wonder where my fellow mothershippers are? @radishcake , @Princess Sparkle , @Spartan Girl , to name but a few!

Anyhoo! Saw "Loco Parentis" and "Mother's Milk" last week, and the former blows @WendyCR72's theory of Lennie's second daughter being disappeared out of existence when I mentioned why she wasn't at her sister's funeral. Because in "Loco" where our guys charged the father for putting the murder weapon in his son's hands, which he totally did, his lawyer put Lennie on the stand and asked how many children he had, and Lennie said he had two daughters, one who had been killed. And the idiot lawyer asked if Lennie should be held criminally responsible for Cathy's drug dealing. Which, from my understanding, makes no sense. Because for one, Cathy was an adult when she was doing her drug dealing. The kid in this episode was a teenager in high school, and until they turn 18, parents are responsible for what their kids do.

"Mother's Milk" is one that drives me Nuts. Forget about the lactate counselor (?!!!????) who came off as a Gestapo, saying that only breast milk was the ONLY source of food to give her baby.  I don't see why she couldn't feed him the bottle. How would Gestapo lady know,  you nimrod?  the mother, Amy, said she didn't have anyone to turn to, yet, there were her parents, her mother, who she was staying with and who sat there during her trial. She couldn't pick up the phone and call her? Or just try calling her mother in law?

I noticed her lawyer, played by the awesome Donna Murphy, showed all those breast pumps, which answered my question of why they weren't mentioned. But still, no mention of if she even tried to use them, because then her baby would still be drinking breast milk. My best friend discovered that her first baby wasn't getting nourishment/milk when she tried to nurse, so used the pump. It was scary. for two days, she thought her baby was getting milk, but her diaper was dry.

I loved that we got Susan Blommaert as one of my fave judges, Steinman, presiding over the case.

I also thought that fuckwit of a husband/father, got off too easy. His insistence of not wanting Amy to go to jail didn't ring true. After all, the witnesses that Lennie and Ed spoke with said, all they could here was constant yelling between them. So much rage when I watch this. Probably because I wanted children, but can't have any. But that's off topic, so I'll leave it at that, that it's part of the reason I have no sympathy whatsoever for Amy and cheered when Steinman found her guilty.

ETA: notice that part of my post got deleted! Stupid laptop!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

ACK! Part of my post was deleted and I can't edit anymore.

And on a purely shallow note, Amy's hair was just so greasy looking, and unwashed, and I can't believe that anyone can be that clueless and stoopid. She wasn't 13 or 15 years old. Believing that Gestapo woman and if said woman made her feel like she couldn't do anything right, then why didn't she call her mother?!

Another thing that I thought was incredibly ignorant on part of the show was not addressing what about those mothers whose milk dried up and couldn't nurse? I know that wasn't part of this episode but the way Gestapo Lactose Woman kept going on, and on, it's like she was deaf, dumb and blind to those women. And that formula would be their only option.

La Leche league has been around since the 70s. It's become more and more important as people try to breastfeed who have never seen it done or had family members who do it. Most hospital birthing centers employ a certified lactation consultant. They are certified by international standards that require not only physical training but a lot of study, as well as taking 3 exams. It's pretty exacting. The problem is anyone can say they are a lactation consultant. They won't work with a hospital but they can set themselves up like doulas with no certification. It can lead to uninformed people trying to help other uninformed people. Ripe situation for tragedy when you get a person who has no support system.

I'm still here!  The only episode I remember distinctly from this season is Killerz though - I've probably seen the others and just don't recognize the names.  Or maybe it's because I like to pretend that Adam never left, and is still hiding around the DAs office whispering "Take the deal!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Here I am!

Mother's Milk pisses me off too.  So basically the mother has a right to starve her own child just because she has her own preference of feeding him?  Someone should have bitchslapped that lawyer to kingdom come.

• Love 2

Here I am!

Mother's Milk pisses me off too.  So basically the mother has a right to starve her own child just because she has her own preference of feeding him?  Someone should have bitchslapped that lawyer to kingdom come.

Yep, and like I said, her lawyer saying she had no support system is pure bullshit, when you see that she was staying with her parents, and she had her own mother that she could have reached out to. Not only that, but if she had fed her baby the formula, how would Gestapo Woman even know, considering she'd told her "everything was fine"? She had the instruments to help her get the milk out of her boobies since she wasn't able to get him to get his milk from them.

"Loco Parentis" was interesting for having Adam so hellbent on prosecuting the father. Usually it's Jack anxious to 'make new law', but here he and Abbi were scrambling to come up with some arguments upon Adam's insistence that the father be held responsible for murder.

• Love 1

"Entitled" just finished airing on WGN. Was supposed to be a mashup of William Kennedy Smith and Michael Skakel, but with women? The cursed affluent family, the kids who had been killed, the bad behaving one getting bailed out. Regina Mulroney testifying reminded me of some of the jurors in William Kennedy Smith's trial getting starstruck over Ted Kennedy in the courtroom.

I actually don't think it worked well to have women in those roles. A matriarch covering for her daughter is not comparable to badly behaving men protected by the patriarchy.

• Like 1
Was supposed to be a mashup of William Kennedy Smith and Michael Skakel, but with women?

I think they did a Michael Skakel episode the season after that one.  I don't know if it was meant as a ripped from the headlines story, or if it was just a more general tale of a troubled, powerful political family.  From the matriarch's name being pronounced in a way that made it sound like they were saying "Vagina Mulroney," to the idea that the judge in the case would just have let her spout tales of woe in response to all of McCoy's questions, it was a somewhat silly episode. 

• Love 2

I do love when Skoda isn't buying someone's act, like in "Collision" - guy claims to have a psychotic illness. McCoy and Abbie notice that the man seeks treatment for his 'illness' during the colder months, i.e., when he needs a warm bed. During their meeting, the guy tells Skoda his preferred name and Skoda gives this WHATEVER face and replies, "Harve. Harvey. Whatever floats your boat."

It was a nice change of pace from so many portrayals of shrinks as these patient, all-trusting saints without a hint of personality (*coughElizabethOlivetcough*).

GASP!

Okay, okay. I liked Olivet, but she WAS too trusting/soft sometimes.

• Love 1

Okay, okay. I liked Olivet, but she WAS too trusting/soft sometimes.

Skoda was definitely my preferred shrink.  He was quick with the quips and believed that not everyone could be redeemed.  Olivet was waaaay too soft.  

Except when she wasn't. That is, she may have spoken with a soft voice/demeanor, but there were times when she drew the line and stated that the defendant was a sociopath; did know right from wrong; knew what he/she was doing; wasn't criminally insane, suffered from a mental defect, etc.

Two that come to mind are Season 3's "Forgivness", "Securitate", and Season 4's "Born Bad" off the top of my head.

• Like 1

The last, or what I believe is the last, Schiff ep aired on WE during Wednesday's "Binge-a-thon". I'm possibly a little confused about the ending.

When Schiff's sitting with his wife, who's on life support in a hospital due to an accident, does he "pull the plug" (apparently without consulting with the hospital, which may be why he's said--in later eps--to be doing things overseas, to somehow avoid prosecution) on her, or does she just "coincidentally" die of her injuries?

The last, or what I believe is the last, Schiff ep aired on WE during Wednesday's "Binge-a-thon". I'm possibly a little confused about the ending.

When Schiff's sitting with his wife, who's on life support in a hospital due to an accident, does he "pull the plug" (apparently without consulting with the hospital, which may be why he's said--in later eps--to be doing things overseas, to somehow avoid prosecution) on her, or does she just "coincidentally" die of her injuries?

No, that wasn't Schiff's last episode. He stayed for ten seasons.  "Terminal", (this was the ninth season, Jamie's last season) his wife didn't have an accident; she'd had a stroke, and it was never explained, but inferred she was on life support, with no chance of waking up, so he signed off on removing the life support, hoping she would still remain alive, but she died. You hear his little moan of grief at the end. Very heartbreaking.

• Love 7

No, that wasn't Schiff's last episode. He stayed for ten seasons. "Terminal", (this was the ninth season, Jamie's last season) his wife didn't have an accident; she'd had a stroke, and it was never explained, but inferred she was on life support, with no chance of waking up, so he signed off on removing the life support, hoping she would still remain alive, but she died. You hear his little moan of grief at the end. Very heartbreaking.

I'm sorry I got that mostly messed up. I've been watching the repeats for a good while, honestly (way over a year, probably way over a lot longer than a year; I'm just still not as well-versed in how the eps go together in seasons as the rest of you--but I do know the original DAs were Schiff, Ben Stone, & Robinette; I know the ep with Julia Roberts had to have been filmed at some point when she & Benjamin Bratt were still a couple; Elizabeth Olivet & Emil Skoda were the psychiatrists usually called in by the DAs office & (I think) the last occupants of the DAs office were Jack McCoy, Connie Rubirosa, & Michael Cutter (or at least Jack & Connie--I'm still trying to figure out where Cutter fits in that dynamic).

I guess I assumed that was Schiff's last ep, with the storyline. My bad. I've seen it more than once, but I still keep thinking she was hurt in an accident. I think I'm glad Schiff didn't pull the plug. He could be a pain in the ass, but I wouldn't wish a murder/assisted suicide charge on him.

BW,

The Jack/Connie/Mike dynamic was in the last 3 seasons after Foghorn Leghorn (Branch) left as DA and Jack took over until the next election, when he was elected as DA.

Yeah Julia Roberts appeared in the 9th season, I believe.

BW,

The Jack/Connie/Mike dynamic was in the last 3 seasons after Foghorn Leghorn (Branch) left as DA and Jack took over until the next election, when he was elected as DA.

Yeah Julia Roberts appeared in the 9th season, I believe.

I know Jack/Connie/Mike was after Branch (Former Senator Fred Dalton Thompson [R-Tennessee]). What I'm still confused on is, was the season where (I'm pretty sure) it was just Connie & Jack in the DAs office before or after the season with Jack, Connie & Mike (I almost never watched the show on NBC in First-Run; I got into it once the repeats went into syndication &, since repeats are, at least periodically, shown out of broadcast order, some things can be hard to tell).

Truth be told, as cool as I thought it kinda was they got Julia Roberts on the show through the "actor significant other of 1 of the leads" trope (or whatever you wanna call it), I thought her character was rather smarmy & mostly unlikeable.

I didn't like when she went from cooperative to uncooperative, or when she twisted what had been an innocent (or reasonably so) conversation between her character & Rey to make it sound like they'd spent the weekend in the "no tell motel" doing "the horizontal mambo", with no thought to Rey's MS-afflicted wife & he wasn't making sure the "chain of custody/evidence" wasn't broken on the remainders of the Viagra she passed on to the victim for the actual killer.

I also didn't like when Ed Herrmann's (as an actor, he'll be missed) Defense Attorney character was able to get more info on her than Jack & Co. did (the whole "Catherine McGuirk", pathological liar thing)--but I did like when she got snotty with him when he brought it up & she tried to maintain that whatever name the character was going by at the time was her real name & she wasn't a pathological liar.

While I was here, I was gonna complain about what type of MS Rey said his wife had when he told Lennie she was diagnosed (he called it "relapsing-remitting-chronic-progressive", as I remember). I watched The West Wing, in which President Bartlet also had MS. As I remember from that, they said you could have *either* "relapsing-remitting" *or* "chronic-progressive"... But apparently not both, like Rey seemed to say.

Before bringing this up, I looked it up in Wikipedia. According to that, there are apparently 4 types of the disease: Relapsing-Remitting, Primary Progressive, Secondary Progressive, & Progressive-Relapsing, which is apparently the worst type you can have.

I'm guessing Progressive-Relapsing MS is what we're supposed to believe Rey's wife had, since it's closest to the type he named & the most severe type, but the writers perhaps didn't care enough to use the right name (though if they had, it would've been less of a mouthful for Benjamin Bratt to say). Since there is a real type with a name at least close to what Rey said, I'll let it slide.

So I watched a bit more of my S10 DVDs and, man, the Karla Homolka (I believe that was the name/case? From the US...) adaption, "Fools For Love", was just skeevy. And more heartbreaking, based on a real case. Not a huge fan of Ellen Pompeo, even if I watched Grey's Anatomy for its first two seasons, eons ago, but I think her flat affect worked for her character, Laura. Still...disturbing.

But I loved Jack being determined and cunning enough at the allocution hearing in showing Laura's true colors so that the judge wouldn't honor the deal and he could go after her with both guns. That was a "hell yeah" moment for me.

• Love 2

So I watched a bit more of my S10 DVDs and, man, the Karla Homolka (I believe that was the name/case? From the US...) adaption, "Fools For Love", was just skeevy. And more heartbreaking, based on a real case. Not a huge fan of Ellen Pompeo, even if I watched Grey's Anatomy for its first two seasons, eons ago, but I think her flat affect worked for her character, Laura. Still...disturbing.

But I loved Jack being determined and cunning enough at the allocution hearing in showing Laura's true colors so that the judge wouldn't honor the deal and he could go after her with both guns. That was a "hell yeah" moment for me.

Yep. The case likely used for inspiration was the Karla Homolka case. Her crimes took place somewhere in Canada awhile back.

I get what you mean about Ellen Pompeo. The scene that got me was the 1 where, I think, a whole bunch of "our heroes" are watching a video of her profiling interview with Skoda (or they're watching/listening to it from an adjoining room as it's happening) & at 1 point she asks if anyone found a pair of garnet earrings she's apparently lost. She says they match her bracelet & she wants to get them back. And getting them back was her biggest concern then, or it seemed to be.

Oddly enough, Ellen also played another "family murderer" character in the show. She played a young woman named Jenna, who had her mother & younger brother murdered by her boyfriend/a guy she knew, under the guise of a home robbery involving a jewel theft. She hated her mother & wanted her dead; I think the brother was "collateral damage"--he tried to get away, or there was some other reason the boyfriend felt he had no choice but to kill him too. Then she tried to pin the murders on her alcoholic father, who was out drinking at the time they happened.

A couple other eps that get me are the ones where the guy kills his wives/has them killed so he doesn't have to divorce them (& potentially lose custody of/access to his kids by wife #1). In the 1st ep the guy owned a comedy club &, though they were positive he was involved, they couldn't get enough of a connection between him & the death of wife #1 to get him to trial or keep him in jail long enough to get a solid connection. In the 2nd ep he'd sold the comedy club & bought/started a restaurant with dead wife #2. Prospective wife #3 was the restaurant manager. And this time they got him... on death row & everything.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 4
In the 1st ep the guy owned a comedy club &, though they were positive he was involved, they couldn't get enough of a connection between him & the death of wife #1 to get him to trial or keep him in jail long enough to get a solid connection. In the 2nd ep he'd sold the comedy club & bought/started a restaurant with dead wife #2. Prospective wife #3 was the restaurant manager. And this time they got him... on death row & everything.

I do remember this arc! I know it began under Logan, because in the follow-up, it was Curtis, and the perp asked what happened to "the other guy".

• Love 2

I do remember this arc! I know it began under Logan, because in the follow-up, it was Curtis, and the perp asked what happened to "the other guy".

Yep. Logan was Lennie's partner in the 1st part, when they couldn't pin the murder on the husband--who was a real SOB but had the balls to at least admit it by the 2nd half of the arc. As it was, apparently the husband didn't do it himself (either time, as I remember) but he hired someone to do it for him (which will still get you jailed for "contract murder", I think it is).

Then Curtis was Lennie's partner by the time the concluding half of the arc came along. Lennie & Van Buren filled him in on the backstory & by the time it was over, I think Curtis hated the guy as much as everybody else did, including in the DAs office. At least they got him this time, & with the death penalty to boot (Jack called him a "slow motion serial killer", to justify the death penalty in the case).

The 1st part of the "Heidi Ellison Murder Trilogy" is on WE right now. I mostly like the arc, until Neil Gordon rears his ugly head (as part of the defense team) & starts threatening Jamie with another custody suit regarding their daughter Katie in the middle of it--mostly to try to throw the prosecution off their game. Except it's weird for me to watch the arc 'cause I lived next door to, & babysat for, a Heidi Ellison for a good chunk of the last almost 40 years, while we were growing up.

• Love 2

Logan was Lennie's partner in the 1st part, when they couldn't pin the murder on the husband--who was a real SOB but had the balls to at least admit it by the 2nd half of the arc.

He actually admitted it early in the first episode, in one of my favorite lines of the whole series.

"Yes. I am a son of a bitch. Been one all my life. I like it. The hours are good and there's no heavy lifting."

Michael Dobson, played by Larry Miller (who later made a cameo as himself). The first one is called "Coma" (his wife was shot but didn't immediately die in the shooting and died later when they removed the bullet from her brain) and "Encore." I enjoy both of these episodes, and TNT when they've had them on lately has played them together, even though they are from totally different seasons.

• Love 2

I'm still here!  The only episode I remember distinctly from this season is Killerz though - I've probably seen the others and just don't recognize the names.  Or maybe it's because I like to pretend that Adam never left, and is still hiding around the DAs office whispering "Take the deal!"

I know it's an old post....but the bold sentence is so damn funny. I read it only a few days ago, and everytime I think of this sentence, I giggle.  So I had to come back here and give you your props.  Well done!!

• Love 2

Steven Hill was great as Adam Schiff, but it did seem like he got to do very little a lot of the time except to bark, "Take the deal!" So I was sort of surprised to read he was Emmy nominated for the role! But good for him.

By the way, Mr. Hill was the original lead in the 1960s Mission Impossible for only its first season. He ended up quitting due to religious issues - or so I read (I was born in '72, so a bit before my time!) - and then the more well-known Peter Graves took over. But if anyone wants to see the younger Steven Hill in action, the episodes from S1 are up for purchase at Amazon.

I am approximately fifteen minutes into Season 10 on DVD and I am even more in love (both platonically and otherwise) with Ed Green than I was with the random out-of-order episodes I've seen before now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

He actually admitted it early in the first episode, in one of my favorite lines of the whole series.

"Yes. I am a son of a bitch. Been one all my life. I like it. The hours are good and there's no heavy lifting."

Michael Dobson, played by Larry Miller (who later made a cameo as himself). The first one is called "Coma" (his wife was shot but didn't immediately die in the shooting and died later when they removed the bullet from her brain) and "Encore." I enjoy both of these episodes, and TNT when they've had them on lately has played them together, even though they are from totally different seasons.

Wow, I did not know this was an arc -- I will find the followup episode(s).  Thanks! 

I saw High & Low from this season today, this is a great episode that I don’t recall ever seeing discussed on here, I love this episode, it was interesting to see how they traced the murder back to the Nazi thugs and the strip club owner and then linking it to the financial scam. Complex investigation, but it all made sense. I hated James Harris, what a pathetic scumbag and I’m glad he went down after he sabotaged them in the first trial, he was spineless and I loved Judge McNeil telling him he should be ashamed of himself. I liked the McCoy/Schiff lines summarizing the players in the case “the business student, the bigots, the bar owner, the banker and the bimbo” “it’s a John le Carre novel”. Also loved Lennie’s “surf Nazi’s on ecstasy” line.

• Love 4

Seasons 9, 10 and 11 have been on TV the past few days and I realize that Seasons 9 and 10 are probably some of the seasons I've seen the least.  I'll start an episode and not immediately remember what happened. It has been nice to revisit these seasons I don't remember as well.

18 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Complex investigation, but it all made sense.

That's what rewatching this season and even Season 9 has brought up for me.  There were quite a few complicated cases that had "pound the pavement" feels to them. 

• Love 2

It's so odd. Somehow, I had totally missed the fact that Ed had had two previous complaints of "excessive force" filed against him before he joined the 27. And even more surprised that when they caught the shooter in the 10th premiere's "Gunshow", that he didn't bother to read the killer his rights, but just got in his face with a gun and told him to confess.

The Pollyanna attitudes of Judge Solomon, the Guardian Ad Litem (played by Mary Mara) and Liz toward Jenny the sociopathic little killer, continue to astound me in "Killerz". Especially since in the real world, even before this episode aired, years before, there was a kid in England, about he same age, who had killed a couple of kids. Unless this was the ripped from the headlines about that one? I do remember in the real case, the kid was found guilty.

Killing a kitty cat/pet is ALWAYS used as an example for the multitude of serial killers that appeared on this show and other crime procedurals. But for some reason, because she was a girl, she was "fixable"? Whatever. If nothing else, Jenny should have been taken away from her mother, who had no qualms having sex with multiple men with her daughter watching; with some of them being pervs and looking at Jenny.

While Hallee Hirsh did a great job as a kid actor, and especially as Jenny here, she totally sucks as a teen actor (JAG) and I think in a procedural as a young adult.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

While Hallee Hirsh did a great job as a kid actor, and especially as Jenny here, she totally sucks as a teen actor (JAG) and I think in a procedural as a young adult.

She also went on to play Rachel Greene #2 on ER way back when and played a teenage nightmare on there (yet by the finale in S15, the character was going to medical school, so...)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Seasons 9, 10 and 11 have been on TV the past few days and I realize that Seasons 9 and 10 are probably some of the seasons I've seen the least.  I'll start an episode and not immediately remember what happened. It has been nice to revisit these seasons I don't remember as well.

That's what rewatching this season and even Season 9 has brought up for me.  There were quite a few complicated cases that had "pound the pavement" feels to them. 

Yeah I think the cases around this era of the show were some of the most outstanding on L&O, a lot of really compelling and complex cases. I’ve said before I think season 10 is my favorite season of L&O. 

• Like 1

Vaya con Dios was a fitting end for Adam Schiff's run. I don't know if Steven Hill had plans to leave before season 10 ended or after before season 11 began filming but some of the lines of what going after Pantoya can reflect on him if he lost the trial was good foreshadowing and gives a reason why Adam stepped down. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Vaya con Dios was a fitting end for Adam Schiff's run. I don't know if Steven Hill had plans to leave before season 10 ended or after before season 11 began filming but some of the lines of what going after Pantoya can reflect on him if he lost the trial was good foreshadowing and gives a reason why Adam stepped down. 

In the episode before that one, episode 23 Stiff, Adam says at the end “cases like this make me take a look at my retirement plan” or something like that, so they definitely hinted that he was thinking about retiring. I don’t think the outcome of the Pantoya case would’ve affected Schiff’s career no matter how it came out, Schiff was very well respected and well established as DA, no one would be forcing him to step down. I do think it was a good final episode for Schiff and I liked his final scene in the hallway of the Supreme Court building with McCoy and Carmichael. I loved that they mentioned Schiff many times in later seasons and mentioned what he was up to, in the season 11 premiere Jack told Nora and Giuliani that Schiff was in Vienna, and then of course in season 19 we saw Jack’s end of the phone conversation with Adam, and it was revealed he was in Africa with Jimmy Carter - I really liked that they informed viewers as to what Schiff was up to and it was very fitting that Schiff would be active in humanitarian causes in his retirement. 

• Love 2
On 12/30/2021 at 12:10 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The Pollyanna attitudes of Judge Solomon, the Guardian Ad Litem (played by Mary Mara) and Liz toward Jenny the sociopathic little killer, continue to astound me in "Killerz". Especially since in the real world, even before this episode aired, years before, there was a kid in England, about he same age, who had killed a couple of kids. Unless this was the ripped from the headlines about that one? I do remember in the real case, the kid was found guilty.

Its a gender flip but based on the real murder of 2 year old Jamie Bulger by two 10 year old boys.

• Useful 4

Amazing. Skoda was able to correctly analyze the sociopathic tween killer Jenny in “Killerz”, but was TOTALLY snowed by Laura (Ellen Pompeo) in “Fools for Love”???

It’s also apparent in this season, that Jack is cutting a LOT more corners and closed minded about the guilt of a defendant/quick to make plea deals. “Patsy” wasn’t a good look for him.

And the hypocrisy of Adam-yes, ADAM! About having the office “getting in bed” with the mob in “Trade This” while making excuses and rationalizing the hiring mob hit man to kill by Regina Mulroney to cover her daughter’s committing murder in “Entitlement, Part 2”.

That episode also made me so bitter, because Olivia and Elliott appeared and while it was their first season, how the show became such a shitfest within 5 years. And CRAGEN!!!! 

• Love 2