Type keyword(s) to search

"Celebs" and Athletes From Other Sports on ANW

• Start Topic

(edited)

Every year now we have at least a few, although they don't seem to beat the first round.

For example, the very first competitor on the very first NBC episode of Season 6? Kim Lyons.  Who admittedly has sunk to being a real nobody, but who briefly was a trainer on The Biggest Loser.

And of course we get the inevitable bag O' transplanted Olympians.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

Denver had another Olympian (snowboarder, I think) who went out on the 2nd Quint Step.  That's just embarrassing!

[Edited for accuracy]

Edited by jhlipton

I'd *really* like to see how well Stephen Amell would do. After all, that's him really doing the salmon ladder and some very athletic stunts on Arrow. Unfortunately, I suspect contracts, licensing, and other legalize would prevent him from appearing.

That's too bad, because a celebrity edition of ANW might be fairly entertaining, if only in a train wreck sort of way. I'd hate to see professional fame whores take away slots from the regular competitors, so a special episode on the Vegas course after the regular season is over with would probably be best. After all, Battle of the Network Stars was fairly popular back in the 70s/80s, and NBC did their own NBC-only edition in 2003.

The CW is missing the boat not having an all-CW star miniseries of this run during the summer.

Wait.  You mean of Arrow?  Because if you mean American Ninja Warrior... it airs on a competing network to The CW.

15 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

*Red Power Ranger*.  He wiped out pretty quickly.

In his defense he hung on to tick tock and nearly climb back up.  It was pretty cool.  Plus he was the first one to go.  The first wipes out pretty quick.  

• Love 1
(edited)

There was a former NFL punter. Can't remember his name and don't know his team, but unfortunately he didn't make it terribly far. He gets a gold star for effort, though. I like NFL football and special teams so I will always wish kickers and punters well. :-) 

Edited by fivestone
1 hour ago, fivestone said:

There was a former NFL punter. Can't remember his name and don't know his team, but unfortunately he didn't make it terribly far. He gets a gold star for effort, though. I like NFL football and special teams so I will always wish kickers and punters well. :-) 

Chris Kluwe, he played for the Vikings and accused his coaches of firing him for his outspoken support of gay marriage. It was quite controversial! Glad to see he is doing well, anyway, even though I'm a Packers fan :)

• Love 1

I thought it was Jon Ryan of the Seahawks?  Jonathan Horton, an Olympic gymnast, had a great showing last year.  It will be interesting to see if he competes this year, since he's somewhat iffy for the Olympics, alas.

1 hour ago, SophiaD said:

I thought it was Jon Ryan of the Seahawks?  Jonathan Horton, an Olympic gymnast, had a great showing last year.  It will be interesting to see if he competes this year, since he's somewhat iffy for the Olympics, alas.

It was definitely Chris Kluwe, unless there were multiple NFL punters.

Yeah, Stephen Amell is probably one of the few celebs who could probably do well on a city course. Then again I would think many of the Power Ranger actors could do well too, but Red wiped out (rather spectacularly admittedly). Still, I would love to see either a Celebs (Athletes and Actors) city course (Hollywood, with an LA course for regular folk) or just a Celebs special that doesn't count for the standings. 

Does Stephen Amell do salmon ladder thing himself?  Which was pretty impressive shirtless stunt that kept me on the show as long as I was.  The occasional Csleb is interesting especially one from an action show who occasionally does their own stunts or looks like they can lift a taco to their own mouth.

24 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Stephen Amell did a reportedly passable pro wrestling match in the WWE in the past year.

Passable by whose standards?  I watched that match & it was on the same level as most celebrities who have "competed" in a WWE match.  I know Arrow viewers were impressed, but WWE regulars (particularly those who don't also watch Arrow) were less enthused.  Maybe ANW will be a better fit.

I would really like to see someone from the US National cheer team do the ANW course. The girls would probably be too short (the gymnast problem), but the guys are pretty impressive, and maybe it would help gain recognition as the sport fights for Olympic recognition (and NCAA recognition, for that matter).