Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The Book of Blood, Chapter Two: The Perdi

• Start Topic

Black Lightning and Thunder return to South Freeland in an attempt to figure out what is going on. When they arrive, they are directed to a nearby wood where they are surrounded by a clan of mixed-race moonshiners called the Perdi. Meanwhile, Lynn, feeling tremendous guilt, falls into a deep depression. Lastly, Tobias finds that his plan is falling apart.

Airing Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Gambi's not dead, duh. He may be trying to redeem his past mistakes, but he's definitely not going soft. I'm a little surprised they showed the severed fingers.

Speaking of redemption, glad Khalil finally wised up as to who was responsible for ruining his life. Let's see what he does now. He might have to use that underused muscle between his ears.

Where the hell is Freeland? Because we went to redneck country awful quick. Looker was giving me Calvin Candie vibes.

• Love 5

Khalil is a dumbass.  Dude, you can shoot darts, don't try to get into a hand to hand fight with a guy that has over 100 pounds of muscle on you.  You're faster than him, keep your distance.

Gambi's alive!

Had to laugh at Jenn telling Lynn that she was responsible for those deaths.

• Love 3

Hah, of course not only is Gambi not dead, but he's already hunting down and torturing/killing those who tried to kill him.  And still keeping tabs on Jefferson and Anissa.  Classic Gambi!

Freeland continues to show just how insane it is.  So, apparently in South Freeland, there is some kind of crazy feud between a group of white rednecks being controlled by a meta named Looker (recognized the actress from Supergirl), and the Perdi: a black family (I think?), who've been hiding in the woods for years.  And this Anaya girl giving birth to two mixed-raced babies might have caused a full-scaled war now.  It's like the Montagues and Capulets, but Southern-styled!

Khalil finds out that Tobias was responsible for his paralyzation, and it finally wising up to what is really going on.  But, of course, he still gets his ass kicked and continues to be under his thumb.  Did he forget he still has darts?

Jennifer might have been classic tactless Jennifer, but I do get what she was trying to say with Lynn. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Where the hell is Freeland? Because we went to redneck country awful quick. Looker was giving me Calvin Candie vibes.

A number of cities in the DCU/DC Comics are analogous to real world cities.  Metropolis is 'Totally Not New York-idealized' Gotham is 'Totally not New York at Night', Flash's Central City twigs to kansas City or St Louis.  St Roch (Comic Hawkman's stomping grounds) is Totally Not Baton Rouge.  And so on.

Since it's already filmed there, I always read Freeland as Totally Not Atlanta.

• Love 6

Loved Jenn being Jenn calmly telling her mom inbtye middle of a self pity spiral.. That she was kinda responsible.. Good on Khalil for stepping to Tobias.. Glad it ended the way it did.. If they pulled some nonsense and let khalil win I woulda been mad... South freeland is weird.. The baby storyline is interesting 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Loved Jenn being Jenn calmly telling her mom inbtye middle of a self pity spiral.. That she was kinda responsible.

I agree. For me, it was the most mature thing Jennifer's said even though she tried to convey it using teenage vocabulary. What made me mad is when Jennifer tried to apply one of the lessons her parents constantly preach at her, Lynn pouts and walks away like a teenager instead of owning up to it like an adult. It was a chance for Lynn to breakthrough to Jennifer when she was trying to grasp a parental life lesson. Terrible judgment on Lynn's part.

At first, I thought the Looker character was going to be like the Leviathan mother character on Supernatural, but as the episode went on, there was enough of a difference for me to get over it.

I'm interested to see where the South Freelanders' storyline takes us, but I'm apprehensive because of the magical babies angle. So far, this season is shaping up to be another good one for me.

• Love 4

What a weird plotline to drop into the middle of everything else the Pierces are going through right now, like their hands weren't already full. But if this season's about working through Jefferson's Outsiders history, I guess it makes sense to introduce Looker alongside Dr. Jace. (Super-nerd moment: It's so weird to hear her name pronounced Jace; I remember Mike W. Barr saying on the Outsiders letters page that it was actually supposed to be pronounced Juh-SAY.)

In any case, I'll be eager to see if the show gives any nods to Looker's original costume, which was a concept that didn't quite work even in comics—as Tim Gunn would say, it needed editing.

latest?cb=20170206030014

• Love 2

Lynn has become such a stupid drip. You don't go and tell all the families that half their kids are dead, and not be prepared for them to freak out and want to know which ones died. What the hell were they thinking? You always notify next of kin before you go and make public announcements like that. Also, you need to be ready to explain what happened and tell everyone that you've handled it. It's really Lynn's fault for trusting the known psychopath in the first place, but if they want to spin it that someone falsified data and that person is no longer with the program and is being dealt with, even that would be better than just saying: half our protectees are dead, no further details at this time.

Jen was right. Ha. I didn't think she was being harsh, I thought she was trying to snap her mother out of the pouting. So good on her!

Khalil should have either come to kill, and brought the weapons to do it, or he should have gone AWOL and not showed up for the beating in the first place.

• Love 6

So, to the shock of no one, Gambi is still alive! And is lying low until he solves his almost murder, while still supplying backup! Always a multitasker! I do hope he tells the Pierces the truth soon, they were so heartbroken by his supposed death!

Heh, Jen wasn't wrong about what she told Lynn, as hilariously blunt as it was. Lynn really shouldn't have figured that people would freak out and be super pissed off at her just announcing that half the kids were dead. Of course people wont be thrilled, and will demand answers! 

So, South Freeland...what the ever loving fuck?! Has this part of town always been here? Is it some kind of redneck suburb, or another park of Freeland proper? Theres just this whole town/part of town that is totally segregated between black and white people, and the white people have super powers and are being controlled by an apparently racist supervillain? Nobody else noticed this? I just have a LOT of questions. At first I thought this could be a metaphor for how drugs like meth and opium based drugs are ravaging many small, rural, mostly white communities, and that drugs in both poor black and white communities are keeping them apart, despite their many similarities, but then it became a Romeo/Juliet story about interracial dating, and how people of all racists should stop being dicks. Or maybe its about guys who think they're entitled to women of their own race, and lose their minds when "their" women go outside their race to date? Or, its just a really weird story with a weird new villain to break things up with Whale a bit.

Finally Khalil realizes what an asshole he has been, but is it too late?!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Dream Boy said:

Looker was my favorite Outsider so it’s kinda weird to see her as a villain. Still unsure of how I feel about it. But the episode was still interesting. South Freeland is all kinds of bonkers lol 

Yeah. I don't quite understand why they named this character Looker when she has absolutely no resemblance to any version of the comics character (none I'm familiar with anyway). I don't care for it when Marvel shows use characters with little to no connection to their comic versions, and I don't like it here, either. If it is basically a brand new character, just give them an original name.

• Love 1

OK, I feel a bit awkward asking this but ---- is Looker's actress an albino?

So raise your hand if Gambi's torture of the tough-tattooed-assassin with his pink-ribbonned poodles also made you LOL? When the guy cried/growled about Gambi coming into his house, torturing him in front of his family, I was expecting the camera to focus on some scared wife and kids huddled against the wall .... not two accessory canines that would have looked ridiculous with the biker-esque owner. Whoever came up with the idea of those 2 dogs deserves a bonus.

So are the grandparents of those twins dead? 

• Love 1

The one time I want my ASL relatives to watch a show with me and they're not around!

So, just how south is South Freeland?? And yeah, it seems a really weird subplot to introduce right now.

I was really thinking "Well, at least the fish are okay" during the Tobias/Khalil fight, but then the tank broke anyway. LOL!

But seriously, they are really working hard on that redemption arc for Khalil, but I can't imagine it will be successful just because I don't think there's any way for him to get the upper hand with Tobias. Teaming up with Black Lightning is a possibility, but still.

I feel really bad for Lynn! I hope this is the lowest point for her arc. [heh]

Oh hi, totally-not-dead Gambi!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ursula said:

OK, I feel a bit awkward asking this but ---- is Looker's actress an albino?

So raise your hand if Gambi's torture of the tough-tattooed-assassin with his pink-ribbonned poodles also made you LOL? When the guy cried/growled about Gambi coming into his house, torturing him in front of his family, I was expecting the camera to focus on some scared wife and kids huddled against the wall .... not two accessory canines that would have looked ridiculous with the biker-esque owner. Whoever came up with the idea of those 2 dogs deserves a bonus.

So are the grandparents of those twins dead? 

The actress is not Albino. She's just white. I didn't recognize her at first glance so I understand the confusion. But, ignoring supergirl which has been on, her two biggest roles have been in the Cameron Diaz led movie where she played Cameron's daughter who was dying but it's one of those situations where they have another child so down the line that child can donate. Drama ensues. She was also the oldest daughter on Medium starring Patrcia Arquette. A very white family.

• Love 1

"I'm sorry to say that half of podded Greenlight kids are dead. If you'll look under your seats you'll find the name, address, phone numbers, and picture of Dr. Helga Jace. I'm not 'buck-passy' when I say it was her call. I wanted to save all the kids even if it took time, she flushed fourteen of them so the other fourteen could live. Please direct all comments, complaints and bricks to her attention. Also, the bitch is crazy, even for this show."

Conversation between the show and me: "Looker isn't based on Eighties canon." "That's bad." "But she's not a vampire." That's good!" "But she has powers that basically makes people depend on her stuff, and they speed around like vampires from True Blood." "That's . . . huh?" I will admit that I like the quicksilver effect and the concept behind this Looker, as well as her overall look. I can accept we're not going to get a version that looks like she's ready to paw herself in front of a mirror. At least I got this sketch of her years ago.

Of course Freeland has a super-powered Hatfield/McCoy feud going on in the woods. I guess the lack of "Confederate monument in what might as well as Hillman College" complaints led to that. And different-colored twins. Which I guess happens . . . less than one percent of one percent of one percent of the time with twins? Hey, why not?

Khalil might as well kill himself. He got his conscience back, and he gets his ass beat by Tobias. Before that, he had to hear a lecture. And you just know Tobias rehearses those in the mirror at least two hours per day.

And, of course, Gambi faked his death by dropping out of the bottom of his car. Of course. This series is nowhere near as fun as Legends of Tomorrow and Gotham, but it embraces "What the Fuck" very well.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
On 11/21/2018 at 10:55 PM, tennisgurl said:

At first I thought this could be a metaphor for how drugs like meth and opium based drugs are ravaging many small, rural, mostly white communities, and that drugs in both poor black and white communities are keeping them apart, despite their many similarities, but then it became a Romeo/Juliet story about interracial dating, and how people of all racists should stop being dicks. Or maybe its about guys who think they're entitled to women of their own race, and lose their minds when "their" women go outside their race to date? Or, its just a really weird story with a weird new villain to break things up with Whale a bit.

It’s about all of this. This story is crazy but I’m interested. I liked that Anaya’s father was deaf. It had no purpose in the storyline (at this point), it was just an inclusion of someone different.

It was good thinking for Anissa to put the tracker in her boot, I wish more characters were that smart.

I used to work with the guy who played the father that rear ended Lynn. Really weird to see someone you know on TV.

• Love 2