Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Mo' Chinese Mo' Problems

Jessica and Lewis are thrilled beyond belief when they discover that a Chinese family – Elaine, Julius, and their son Horace – have moved into the neighborhood. Jessica immediately bonds with Elaine, who helps her solve an issue with the HOA, and Louis decides to introduce Julius to Marvin and hang out together. Meanwhile, when Evan goes door-to-door collecting information for the census bureau, Eddie and Emery come up with a plan to impersonate being census takers in order to find out when the owners of a pool are out of the house so they can sneak over and use it.

Original air date: 11/9/18

Hopefully, the new family will bring a fresh dynamic to the show.  Though I thought the conflicts wouldn't be resolved by the end of the episode, expecting a longer arc.  I expected the son from Silicon Valley to have more funny lines.

I've never seen anyone bring take-out containers to an all-you-can-eat buffet.  

I did find Jessica's thoughts while touring the other lady's house to be amusing. 

I liked how into census taking Evan was.  For once, he was right to call his brothers out, but as usual, he did it in the most dictatorial way.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Camera One said:

First you smuggle in your own containers in your giant purse, fill them up, and now you have a second or third meal.

Ha. Kidding. Though I have been known to sneak out "dry" food like hard boiled eggs or bread and pastries. 

I like the other couple. I was afraid they'll to the usual trope of turning them into villians so this was a pleasant surprise.

I love Louis and Marvin's friendship. So much more equal than Jessica and Honey's.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Maybe my Chinese friends parents are different but none of them would bat an eye about unmarried adult children living at home.

Living at home, probably not. Becoming a cab driver after dropping pre-med to become an art major at Harvard, was probably much harder for Jessica to accept.

• Love 6

OMG I looooooved this ep!

Really liked the way they wrote Jessica here. They balanced the fine line of her being "Jessica" and avoided the trap they so often fall into of making her completely over the top pushy. I almost DIED at her internal thoughts when she took a tour of the house. I really appreciated how they wrote that. She had very typical in character Jessica thoughts but it was nice she tried to at least clamp down on expressing them.

The Louis and Marvin bromance is adorable and I'm so happy they included the new friend at the end and didn't just dump him.

I hope we see more of this new family although Ming Na Wen is very prominent on Agents of Shield so I'm not sure how they'll get her back.

I give Evan a pass on how he handled his brothers! They were totally trespassing after all, not to mention interfering with work that he was passionate about! 

hehe Viet person here! I have been known to bring a small box in my bag and sneak out a cupcake and some candy for my kid. No meats though I swear!

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Living at home, probably not. Becoming a cab driver after dropping pre-med to become an art major at Harvard, was probably much harder for Jessica to accept.

Right but she scoffed at the living at home before she knew about the other two things. 

I liked the did the jealousy over a new BFf with Louis and Marvin rather than Jessica and Honey

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I hope we see more of this new family although Ming Na Wen is very prominent on Agents of Shield so I'm not sure how they'll get her back.

That's where I know her from, it was nice to see her.  Most here seem to think that the family will be around on a semi-regular basis, so I hope they're right.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Ming-Na Wen still looks smoking hot, even at age 54. The woman has it all. 

I will always remember her playing a teenager on a soap opera. Where did the time go?

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1

I love how this show uses subtitles to show what the characters really mean. I love it when the sister comes to visit and now with Jessica and Elaine hearing each other's true thoughts. It cracked me up. It was great that even though they were mad at each other, they came together to fight the HOA and their racist mural. And I loved that the new mural had all different kinds of asian kids and one white kid. 

• Love 3
On 11/11/2018 at 6:38 PM, Mellowyellow said:

The Louis and Marvin bromance is adorable and I'm so happy they included the new friend at the end and didn't just dump him.

I loved that both Louis and Marvin were afraid of losing each other to the new guy. They love each other so much which is really sweet.

• Love 6
On 11/10/2018 at 11:50 PM, Camera One said:

On 11/11/2018 at 5:45 AM, Snow Apple said:

First you smuggle in your own containers in your giant purse, fill them up, and now you have a second or third meal.

Ha, so many people I knew (Asian and otherwise) used to do this in college at Hometown Buffet. Mr. EB's had some relatives who would bring giant ziploc bags to the annual crab feed, the logic being that they paid X amount for all you can eat crab so they were going to make damn sure they got their money's worth.

• Love 2
On 11/11/2018 at 6:38 PM, Mellowyellow said:

On 11/15/2018 at 2:53 AM, Tasha Brand said:

She also did an incredible job.  I didn't see Melinda May in Elaine at all.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't returning till this summer, so I'm pretty sure they haven't started taping yet.  She has plenty of time to appear in more episodes before they do.

Along with AoS not coming back until summer it is a limited run this upcoming and maybe last  season and not the traditional 20 + episodes of network TV.

• Love 1