Type keyword(s) to search

S2: E1 No Recovery

Lives hang in the balance as the members of STATION 19 continue to fight a raging inferno inside a skyscraper. Meanwhile, Pruitt's health is in grave danger at Grey Sloan; and a seasoned firefighter with a mysterious past arrives at Station 19, leaving everyone to wonder what the future holds.

I still really don't particularly like most of these characters... I may just be worn out of ppl breaking rules because they care so much more than other ppl... Andy never listens.. Gibson is classic rogue.. The cop dude was clingy.. The female best friend is possessive... Ben is cool.. The other girl is a hothead.. Travis is ok as is the muscle guy.. And my fav character may be the new boss.. For as long as he stays a hard ass who gets them to follow rules a little.. So like 4 weeks I guess then he'll fall in love or start to care too much and blegh

Lord, that was bad.  Really bad.  Somebody needs to get fired, or at least demoted. 

Apparently facial hair is no longer an impediment to a tight seal on a facemask.  Or maybe scruff is still in.  I'm not sure which.  It doesn't seem to matter anyway, since the heroes do not seem to see the need to wear the SCBA at critical times.

Shondaland needs to have a disclaimer at the beginning of the show that says "This show is a dramatization.  It does not represent any fire department outside of fiction."

8 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I still really don't particularly like most of these characters... I may just be worn out of ppl breaking rules because they care so much more than other ppl... Andy never listens.. Gibson is classic rogue.. The cop dude was clingy.. The female best friend is possessive... Ben is cool.. The other girl is a hothead.. Travis is ok as is the muscle guy.. And my fav character may be the new boss.. For as long as he stays a hard ass who gets them to follow rules a little.. So like 4 weeks I guess then he'll fall in love or start to care too much and blegh

I am looking forward to the new captain. However, the section chief was the classic: "I can't get personal because that will kill others." Who was the fucking idiot didn't evacuated the building right away? Who locked down all the elevators when he knew other people were still in the building? Who knew the fire was not contained and yet continued to keep civilians in the building until three floors exploded from the fire getting in-between the structure? Especially, when in a high rise building, that is something that is most likely to occur. But his excuse: "It's protocol!" Yes, you don't become a Section Chief without following the rules, but they also require "Common sense"! Especially, when he was drilling the deputy chief on how she personally hated members of Station 19. She even showed she marked down people just because of what station they were at. That's grounds for being suspended right there in the Emergency field.

I know, it's a TV show, but don't introduce them as one thing and then go: "Well, we have to show that he has to be one of those guys in charge, that doesn't want to get personal, but then makes things worst." Did Captain Herra cause this mess with not keeping people in check? Oh yes, however, while he doesn't mind chewing out the deputy chief last season, when it's the section chief its: "Well, you are right, I'm a good soldier sir!"

Edited by readster

So, I never ended up finishing the first season; I think I got to episode 4 or 5 before I stopped watching. With my timeslot clear this week, I decided to tune back in to see what I thought about it now.

Nah, still a dumb show. I still only like Travis, it seems. Everyone else sucks. New captain is intriguing if he can get these people to settle down and follow rules so if there's nothing else on for me in the timeslot, I may tune in.

I wish I'd remembered what a crap show this was.  I probably wouldn't have wasted the time.

And now they've brought in that knob-head to be the new big-boss.  Same knob-head they brought in to be the big-boss in Code Black.  So, I definitely won't be wasting the time next week.

This show is still a 5-alarm dumpster fire. Sorry, but they should have 86'd both Jack and Travis. Not that I disliked either one, but their jeopardies in last season's finale should have been fatal (Jack in the backdraft, Travis getting impaled by a shard of plate glass deep in the chest). And even if Travis miraculously survived that horrific chest wound he wouldn't have survived being dragged down umpty flights of stairs immediately afterwards. And even if he did, not a chance that's a 6 week recovery and back on the rig. He's be pensioned off with lifelong physical challenges.

So, the title was pretty much a lie. The only one who didnt recover was poor Bay, the only person not in the opening credits. 

New hard ass captain is going to be the new hard ass captain, who will get the crew to actually play by the rules. Possibly. At least until he learns to lighten up, or they get rid of him when his hard ass ways almost get someone killed or something. Truly, this is new ground.

I still can't find anything to like about Andy. The way she acted in the ending, geeze, talking over the new captain and then standing outside like a petulant child. She needs to be demoted at the least. Glad daddy withdrew his support for the both of them for captain, neither is mature enough. 

38 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So, the title was pretty much a lie. The only one who didnt recover was poor Bay, the only person not in the opening credits. 

New hard ass captain is going to be the new hard ass captain, who will get the crew to actually play by the rules. Possibly. At least until he learns to lighten up, or they get rid of him when his hard ass ways almost get someone killed or something. Truly, this is new ground.

Right just like the section chief. He comes in that he is all: "Professional" when Andy and Lewis meet him. However, then by the last two episodes he is all: "We follow protocol!" And everyone is: "Sir, the building is on fire and not contain. We should get people out." "No, we follow protocol!" Building starts exploding, people rush out in a panic, he knows there are other fire crews in the building and not out. What does he do? Locks down the elevators and tells Andy: "Fine, go die!" 

Then he gets shown he almost let several people die, gets yelled at and knows if the Fire Commissioner was there, he have his ass handed him and he is all: "You can't get emotionally attached to people or others die!" Oh please. 

The only good news from this episode was Andy and Jack were not named captain.

For all of Fire Chief Ripley's talk of not going back in the building because it was dangerous, (maybe it's just me) there was never any impending doom happening when we saw the others on the stairwell or any other place in the building.

Why was Hughes in the surgery room distracting the doctor?

Poor Molly! Goes to show: if you try to follow procedures you will get trampled but if you're part of Station 19 don't bother to follow orders and everything will be alright.

The episode should have been titled: "I need a gurney here Now!"

Edited by mxc90
21 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

For all of Fire Chief Ripley's talk of not going back in the building because it was dangerous, (maybe it's just me) there was never any impending doom happening when we saw the others on the stairwell or any other place in the building.

Exactly, just like in the season finale how he kept everyone inside until there was reason to move the other floors out. When there was CONSTANT FIRE in the building. Yet, there are explosive chemicals on the 17th floor. Yet, still doesn't get everyone out. Half the building explodes. oh then Ripley wants everyone out. 

Haven't decided which is soapier, this or Chicago Gabby, er, Fire. Both have red trucks and people who don't follow chain of command because they Care!So!Much!/Take!It!Personally! and put on shameless PDA in the house.

7 hours ago, torqy said:

Haven't decided which is soapier, this or Chicago Gabby, er, Fire. Both have red trucks and people who don't follow chain of command because they Care!So!Much!/Take!It!Personally! and put on shameless PDA in the house.

I finally figured out what really bothered me in this episode and in the finale last season. Who the hell was fighting the fire? They were basically just moving through the building looking for stuff. We didn't see stations putting out the fire, anyone really doing anything until we saw the fire blow out three floors with everyone on them. So, this really shows Ripley to be a pretty lousy Section Chief. He complains about no one following the Chain of Command. Doesn't listen when others know something is up. Hates that other chiefs are bias with their reports and make things personal, yet does nothing about them. Then he goes off on how you can't get personal with anyone, yet what did he do with Papa Herra last season with his Captain report? Here's an idea show, pick a personality trait and stick with it. We have enough assholes on Station 19, you can be a hard ass by the book person and still be professional. 

I might be bailing. I find it unrealistic that all of the firefighters made it out of the fire safely - especially considering their respective conditions during the cliffhanger. Only Bay died...not good.

I liked seeing the flashbacks to the academy but have to admit that I am not feeling Herrera - which is probably not the best result for the lead character. I liked seeing the Olympian and her medal and really appreciated her telling off Jack when he wanted to touch it.

When the highlight of the episode is the appearance of doctors guesting from Grey's Anatomy - probably not a good sign of my interest level.

Poor Bay; Poor Joely Fisher.