Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Starchild said:

Knowing how TPTB like to fuck with fans, I have this sneaking suspicion that the Carol/Daryl spinoff is a red herring, designed to make us think they'll survive the mothership series, only to actually be killed off in the finale.

Am I the only one thinking that could happen?

I seriously doubt that. That announcement was way above the Show runner level, AMC is not going to announce a fake spinoff a year in advance just to fool the viewers.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Starchild said:

Knowing how TPTB like to fuck with fans, I have this sneaking suspicion that the Carol/Daryl spinoff is a red herring, designed to make us think they'll survive the mothership series, only to actually be killed off in the finale.

I don't see it. If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and eat crow, but D&C are their money-makers (in their eyes, anyway.) 

Honestly, the writing hasn't been clever enough for me to expect something different. 

• Love 1
On 8/12/2021 at 5:04 AM, Starchild said:

As SC said, there are 3 golden egg laying geese on that show,, kill two of them? Not a chance although it would be a hell of a way to go out 🤔

• Love 1

‘The Walking Dead’ Season 11: More Big Bads, Maggie’s Rage Against Negan & More
Emily Aslanian  August 13, 2021
https://www.tvinsider.com/1008291/the-walking-dead-season-11-maggie-negan-daryl-preview/ 

This is an excerpt from TV Guide Magazine’s The Walking Dead Universe Special Collector’s Issue, which is available for international pre-order online now at TheWalkingDeadMag.com and will be available nationwide on newsstands on Tuesday, August 17.

The war against the creepy Whisperers cult may finally be over, but AMC’s zombie drama The Walking Dead taught us a long time ago that lowering your guard is never a good idea. The series-ending Season 11 (consisting of 24 episodes broken up into three intense installments that wrap in 2022) features multiple postapocalyptic menaces for the survivors, according to showrunner Angela Kang—and some we’ve already met.

“There’s a variety of big bads,” she says. “And characters’ roles in things that go wrong are not always clear. That’s something we’ve been playing with, because villainy comes in many forms and isn’t always black and white.”
That’s especially true for Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s reformed Saviors leader Negan Smith. In the first episode back, he finds himself entangled even further with the recently returned Maggie Rhee (Lauren Cohan), who can’t quell her murderous rage toward him for killing Glenn (Steven Yeun), her husband and father of baby Hershel, more than six years earlier.

“Negan wants Maggie to see how he’s grown over this time she’s been gone, but I think, in her mind, there’s no redemption,” Cohan explains over a Zoom chat with Morgan, who has just finished up afternoon labor on his New York farm. Morgan argues that the Season 10 finale (“Here’s Negan,” which laid out the character’s devastating backstory) proves that the former evildoer “wasn’t the worst person in the world.” He adds that Negan’s “definitely trying to make his case to be a part of the community.”
In the opener, the two must work together (e.g., killing walkers side by side, above) for the greater good: putting food on the table at the demolished Alexandria. After a supply run with less-than-desired results, Maggie suggests a crazy Plan B that is then derailed by a storm, forcing the gang into a zombie-infested Washington, D.C., subway tunnel. As if the mission weren’t perilous enough, they also deal with the Reapers, the cold-blooded outfit that murdered Maggie’s last group. “It’s a fun, action-packed first episode,” says Kang. The Reapers “have some special skills, and they’re very tight-knit.”

As to whether Negan and Maggie can put aside their differences long enough to get results, well, “she’s going to try,” teases Cohan. Meanwhile, more levelheaded survivors like crossbow-wielding Daryl Dixon (Norman Reedus) end up in tight spots too. “Daryl has his own gigantic role in this story that is separate,” notes Kang. In Episode 2, Daryl will be searching for his furry companion, Dog, and find more than he bargained for. Could that signal the imminent return of Connie (Lauren Ridloff), who survived that messy cave-in during Season 10? We sure hope so.
Daryl always has BFF Carol Peletier (Melissa McBride) to lean on, though recently their friendship has been rocky. “You have to see these two join forces again, or the world should end,” Reedus admits. “I can’t imagine [they wouldn’t],” McBride adds. (The two eventually depart on their own spinoff adventure in 2023.)

But perhaps the biggest question ahead is what will happen with the group detained by those Stormtrooper-like soldiers? Pseudoscientist Eugene Porter (Josh McDermitt)—smitten with Stephanie (Margot Bingham, now a series regular), the woman he conversed with over CB radio—was captured by Commonwealth troops while trying to meet up. And he got his friends Ezekiel (Khary Payton), Yumiko (Eleanor Matsuura) and the newfound Princess (Paola Lázaro) involved too.

“When we pick up, they’re being moved to another location for the next step in dealing with this group,” Kang says. Look for new series regular Michael James Shaw (Blood & Treasure) as Mercer, a fan fave from the comics, where he’s illustrated as the brutal Commonwealth leader—and Princess’ love interest. (The Blacklist’s Laila Robins and 13 Reasons Why’s Josh Hamilton are also joining the cast.) Is Mercer’s infamous interrogation room their destination? Only time will tell. “Their story is more about intrigue: What is it like to run into a group that has very stringent ideas about how you bring people into their society?” asks Kang. Maybe they should try Rick’s foolproof three questions.

Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan Sums Up Negan and Maggie's Face-Off in Final Season: He'll 'Have to Kill Her'
By Charlie Mason / August 14 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/08/14/the-walking-dead-negan-kills-maggie-season-11-spoilers/ 

Now that The Walking Dead has returned Maggie to the fold, the show may not be big enough for both her and Negan, says Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who plays the reformed villain that widowed her. The Saviors’ former leader, “in his head, had made some progress with this group. [By the time Season 11 starts, already] he’s saved just about everybody at one time or another and put his life on the line to kill Alpha.

“He’d done some good things. Then suddenly,” he adds, “Maggie’s back, and he’s back at square one from nine years ago, show-wise. It’s precarious at best.”

And at worst? Potentially deadly. “I think she’s going to have to kill him,” Morgan tells TVLine, “or he’s going to have to kill her, especially as we find them in the first two episodes,” the first of which premieres on AMC Sunday, Aug. 22, at 9/8c. “It’s not a good place to be for either of them. Negan is frustrated, and Maggie is pissed, for obvious reasons, that this guy is out of jail and seemingly in a better headspace than the last time she saw him.

“We’ll see how that plays out,” he continues, “but it’s not going to be an easy run.”

Edited by tv echo

The Season 11 premiere was made available on AMC+ yesterday (one week before it airs on AMC TV) - here are some spoilery media reviews (in fact, the Vulture article is a detailed recap of the premiere)...

The Walking Dead Season-Premiere Recap: A Frenemy in Need
By Richard Rys  August 15, 2021
https://www.vulture.com/article/the-walking-dead-season-11-episode-1-recap-acheron-part-i.html 

Negan finally has enough and calls Maggie out for leading a “death march” and plotting to kill him one way or another out here, far from the judgment of the A-towners. Her lack of a rebuttal speaks volumes; even Daryl looks shocked that Negan is speaking the truth. But as Negan tends to do, he pushes just a little too far. After saying Maggie can’t think clearly because he’s “living rent-free” in her head, he adds that he didn’t come all this way to die like a dog, “like Glenn.” Daryl gives Neegs a shot to the chops, and Maggie delivers both an admission and a threat: There’s only a tiny sliver of the old Maggie from six years ago left inside her, and it’s all that’s keeping Negan alive. “So keep pushing me, Negan,” she says. “Please.” It’s the kind of Dirty Harry-style speech Rick used to give, looking down the barrel of his Python. Now it’s Maggie doing the talking and Negan who’s at gunpoint, utterly vulnerable.
There’s even less light at the end of the tunnel back in the actual tunnel, as Maggie’s standoff with Negan segues into a Scylla and Charybdis moment — on one side, a locked-down train surrounded by rubble, and an approaching mini-horde of undead on the other. Dog-dad Daryl proves the unwisdom of bringing his pet to work and ends up crawling through a crack in the rocks to chase his pup. The rest of them head up and over the train, save for Maggie, who ends up with a leg in the grasp of a groaner. Negan appears on the roof, gazing down as she cries out to him in a panic for help. Instead of extending a hand, he vanishes.

We see a look of sheer terror on Maggie’s face as she loses her grip. It’s a virtual certainty that Negan returns to save her, thus setting up a season-long tug-of-war as these two wrestle with trust, forgiveness, and the urge to murder each other.

The Walking Dead Season 11 Premiere Review - "Acheron: Part I"
By Matt Fowler   August 15, 2021
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-walking-dead-season-11-premiere-review-negan-maggie-commonwealth 

"Acheron: Part I" starts off with an example of some of these side effects. It's a big action set piece, evoking the famous Raiders of the Lost Ark "Well of Souls" snake scene, but in its own way, it's classic late-stage Walking Dead, in that it's ultimately hollow. It's inside, darkly lit, and hard to follow. Sure, it's interesting to see a bunker full of walkers taking a joint nap (a decade into the zompocalyse means zombies can go into power-saving mode, it appears) but, despite the carnage, the sequence feels tiny and tacked in. It's not altogether random, of course, as the purpose of this mission is to get food to feed the starving remnants of Alexandria and Hilltop, but even starting your final season with everything in desperate shambles -- and major characters actively opting out of dangerous missions because, er, why do anything anymore? -- has a big bummer vibe.

The B-story here, which is the angle that is actively leading us toward something new, didn't exactly light any fires either. Eugene (Josh McDermitt), Ezekiel (Khary Payton), Princess (Juanita Sanchez), and Yumiko (Eleanor Matsuura) dealt with the Commonwealth's auditors for an exciting round of incessant questioning ("How many bowel movements do you have a day?"). No big or notable moves here. We learned the Commonwealth is hyper anxious, uber secure, and probably abusive and cruel, but we knew that already from season ten's "Splinter." It's a shame that those extra six episodes last season couldn't have positioned the series, story-wise, to have a better premiere. The Commonwealth arc, which is to be the show's final hurrah, is already a trudge. The Negan flashback episode was quite good, but his current drama with Maggie isn't enough nourishment for a show that needs a big kick in the pants for its final act.

I Have One Main Concern About ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 11
Paul Tassi   August 16, 2021
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/08/16/i-have-one-main-concern-about-the-walking-dead-season-11/?sh=126ee01e7bf3 

In short, I really do like the premiere, both parts one and two, and I think it’s well-done zombie horror in a way we haven’t seen for a while as half the crew is trapped in an underground subway station surrounded by hordes and tracked by killers.

But I can already see what I think will be the problem with season 11 of The Walking Dead. In short, I’m concerned about the Commonwealth storyline.

The Commonwealth is the final main storyline in Robert Kirkman’s original graphic novels, which is why the show is ended at season 11 before turning into a collection of spin-offs. But the problem? A) I never thought the comic storyline was very good to start with, at least not compared to the big Governor/Negan arcs that preceded it. And B) The Walking Dead season 11 is now doing it without every main cast member that was key to the storyline, namely, Rick, Carl, Dwight and Michonne.
We already know our stand-in for Michonne, which would be Yumiko. Yumiko is fine, but as such a new member of the cast, she lacks the same impact that we would have had if Michonne was still around. I have no idea who subs in for Rick and Carl now. Daryl and Lydia? Maggie and Judith? And we know for a fact Dwight is not coming back to TWD for this, so he’s replaced by…Magda? I have no idea.
My problem is that I am finding half the story here extremely interesting and the other half not really that at all. I really am enjoying this storyline with Maggie, Negan and Daryl as they face this terrifying new group of hunters, the Reapers, who are not from the comics. I am less interested in seeing the pristine streets of the Commonwealth and their stadium football games and such. The Walking Dead thrives when its cast is hungry and desperate, and the Commonwealth storyline, despite some major deaths, is just too “clean.”

It’s also too heavy handed with its messaging. The society there is built on who you were before the fall and still uses actual money. It’s a very ham-handed allegory for the rich subjugating the poor, and while I agree with the message, it’s delivered in a very clunky fashion, and I don’t think the show will be able to change that from the comics.

Edited by tv echo
On 8/15/2021 at 2:08 PM, Superclam said:

Welcome back, @OoohMaggie! Every time I think the zombie fever got you, you come back resurrected!! Unless... 

Thanks, hopefully back properly this time. Zombie fever? After my last ‘one post’ comeback I managed to pick up what they tell me was Covid, those were two weeks that felt like being a Walker 🙄

Scroll down this tweet thread to see other new photos...

The Walking Dead showrunner shares intel on new season 11 characters
By Dalton Ross   August 16, 2021 
https://ew.com/tv/walking-dead-season-11-angela-kang-interview/

[ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY:] Give us some quick hits on some of the new characters we'll see. Let's start with Michael James Shaw as Mercer.
[ANGELA KANG:]
Mercer is a really great character from the books who is the head of the Commonwealth army. I'll say that Michael James Shaw is an absolute pleasure to have as part of the cast. I love the work he's doing. There's a real sense of toughness, but also a tenderness there too. He can play so many different colors, and it's a lot of fun to watch him do his work.

How about Laila Robins as Pamela Milton?
Pamela is the leader of the Commonwealth. And those who know the character from the comics know she's presiding over a community that is very large, very organized, very successful, and very safe. In the show we'll see that she has this interesting backstory that we built for the family she came from and her level of comfort being in the public eye. Laila is amazing and plays the character with such warmth and nuance. She's somebody we'll get to know a lot about over time, but you don't get to see her for a minute.

Does she have a son, by chance?
She does have a son, by chance! We'll meet the son first actually.

Definitely looking forward to meeting him. And let's talk about Josh Hamilton as Lance Hornsby.
Lance Hornsby is also based on a character from the books. We've got our own take on him, and he's this charismatic fixer for the Commonwealth. Josh Hamilton is wonderful and brings such interesting flavors to the character. For people who know the movie Eighth Grade, he brought such warmth to that character, and he's playing this character that has so much energy and optimism who's trying to sell people on the Commonwealth. So there's some fun to be had with Hornsby. I want people to watch it and see for themselves.

Edited by tv echo

The Walking Dead star Lauren Cohan on if Maggie should kill Negan
By Dalton Ross   August 17, 2021 
https://ew.com/tv/walking-dead-star-lauren-cohan-maggie-negan-season-11-premiere/ 

[ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY:] How would you describe Maggie's journey in the first eight episodes of season 11?
[LAUREN COHAN:]
It's about fielding a lot of surprise. If I was just making some sort of illustration of eight episodes, it's like you take a couple of steps and then something comes at you from the side. And then you take one more step and something yanks you from behind. And then you get up and take two more steps, and meanwhile there's this furnace internally of whatever the conflict is with Negan that you don't really have time to deal with.

It's like a soldier with PTSD — there's no time to process things because you've come home to what you hope is a sanctuary, but it's not. And it's not safe. There's a lot of work needed. So it's really been about making the best decision you can with the information you have. And as the season progresses, it's a whole bunch of s---. It gets so much worse before it gets better. It's like, "I have this great idea. I can't promise it's going to work out, but do you want to come with me?" And it's a terrible idea. It's so much worse before it's better. Like, she's saying, "Can you just please stick with me? Please, I promise." She wants one more shot, one more chance.
Well now that she is home, the last season ended with Negan and Maggie staring each other down. So obviously that's been queued up to be a big conflict point in season 11. How would you describe the dynamic between those two as we pick things up?
Let's say she kills Negan, and it seems like it's the solution to the problem. If she lets herself go down that road, I think she has truly let go of who she was. This is just Lauren speaking, but I think there's something to be gained for how they could reach a resolution. And I don't think Maggie's consciously thinking this, but she does know that if she lets that dark wave sort of crest and wash over her, then it's over. Everything you have struggled to keep alive in all these years as you've traipsed the earth, looking for a better life and a life worth living, it's over.

And these animals she's come across out there, these animalistic people who are just eking out a life — that's them if they let it go. That's them if they give in to kill or be killed, and we can't let that happen. And she, thank God, has Hershel [Kien Michael Spiller] to fight for, and to fight for that life.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Oooooooohhhhhh! They have doughnuts, let’s see how long it takes our little group to lay waste to that idyllic scene

Ha! yeah, the question they should have asked them before letting them in was 'how many functioning communities have you  interacted with over the last ten years, and how many of these are still going?'

• LOL 3

I hope that’s not Alden in the grave above, looks like old Pope & Co might be getting  ‘Whispered’ soon. Father PP’s looking menacing spying on his Reaper equivalent, and it’s in daylight! Yayyyyyyyy ☀️

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
On 9/19/2021 at 8:20 PM, OoohMaggie said:

I hope that’s not Alden in the grave above, looks like old Pope & Co might be getting  ‘Whispered’ soon. Father PP’s looking menacing spying on his Reaper equivalent, and it’s in daylight! Yayyyyyyyy ☀️

I guess it could either be Aiden of Frost, or maybe the remaining red shirt. Expendable Black Dude gets killed when they go up against the reapers. presumably they score a hit on the reapers but not a decisive victory as we have pope ranting on about 'your brothers are dead, are you not ashamed?' for some reason no one shouts back 'they're dead because you made us fight some random people who would probably have been cool with just being friends. for no good reason, you deranged prune faced twat'

• LOL 1
On 9/22/2021 at 7:57 PM, BasilSeal said:

I guess it could either be Aiden of Frost, or maybe the remaining red shirt. 

Im confused, when do the E7 discussion pages open up? 

Pope’s willingness to kill everyone they’re not specifically looking for is tiresome, haven’t his people had enough already 🤔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Pope’s willingness to kill everyone they’re not specifically looking for is tiresome, haven’t his people had enough already 🤔

It's so obvious they're setting up a mutiny of his people, led by Daryl. The only question is if his girlfriend survives. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

It's so obvious they're setting up a mutiny of his people, led by Daryl. The only question is if his girlfriend survives. 

Maybe they’re shooting for a double cliffhanger for the finale, let’s see how well the Walkers do against a band of highly skilled Mercs, surprisingly well I have no doubt 🙄

Someone mentioned Pope’s accent before, that clip did have me wondering.

9 hours ago, Superclam said:

Like Alpha and Maggie, a British actor doing an exaggerated Southern accent. 

"They will not escape this time, them Dukes, them Dukes, hot pursuit, i love it i love it"

the southern accents in TWD are second only to the "Irish" accents in Sons of Anarchy

12 hours ago, Superclam said:

She'll survive, the question will be whether she forgives Daryl for betraying her, i'm going to go with No on that one as it will facilitate even more monosyllabic sulking and angst induced soap dodging from Daryl

5 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

She'll survive, the question will be whether she forgives Daryl for betraying her, i'm going to go with No on that one as it will facilitate even more monosyllabic sulking and angst induced soap dodging from Daryl

Maybe, but I can see her dying in Daryl's arms, followed by the sulking and angst. 

5 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

the southern accents in TWD are second only to the "Irish" accents in Sons of Anarchy

Don't forget Dick Van Dyke's accent in Mary Poppins, ay Guv'nor? 

5 hours ago, Superclam said:

Maybe, but I can see her dying in Daryl's arms, followed by the sulking and angst.

She's got a big thing about loyalty, that's what the whole reaper cult is based on, i suspect she will never forgive Daryl for deceiving her, my feeling is she will live in order that she can reject Daryl because of this betrayal, and so Dog once again will have to choose who he goes with, then Daryl loses a chance of happiness, and possibly also Dog as well, though whether they'll want to get rid of a fan favourite they will probably want for the spin off is another matter. 

She may die but if she does then Daryl will either be the one who kills her, or his actions will cause her death. that's my reckon anyway.

Inside Line: Scoop on #OneChicago, Animal Kingdom, All American, Rookie, Sanditon, NCIS: Hawai'i and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / September 28 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/09/28/chicago-fire-spoilers-episode-200-stellaride-wedding/ 

Any scoop on The Walking Dead? -Jen C.
In the penultimate episode of the final season’s first of three arcs (airing on AMC Sunday, Oct. 3), Maggie and Negan reach what may be a turning point in the relationship between Glenn’s widow and his murderer. And as hard as it may be to imagine, Eugene finds a way to leap out of the frying pan and into the fire.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:13 AM, BasilSeal said:

🤣😂🤣  when I read your post I immediately thought of that actor, that is without doubt   the worst attempt at an accent ever, how the hell they let that reach our TVs I’ll never understand.

Some are saying the leaders PA is the real Stephanie  🤔, what have I missed?

44 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Some are saying the leaders PA is the real Stephanie  🤔, what have I missed?

It's not "official" but I know the actress who plays the assistant was/is listed as Stephanie in the credits. Also, when she bought the ice cream in Episode 6, the camera practically said "SOMETHING'S UP WITH HER!!" 

• Love 1
On 9/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, Superclam said:

"SOMETHING'S UP WITH HER!!" 

There was definitely a ‘Look’ going on, a bit of intrigue on the show………..

Is that a real $5 bill? Two cones AND change, I wonder what the hourly rate is. Don’t you hate being given a waffle cone from someone’s sweaty paw 🤢

CD2EFE1E-F865-4386-B00E-545FB7DEC0FA.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
17 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh Daryl got shot in the back with a crossbow?

That clip was used 4 months ago in a commercial for a mobile phone game, I have no idea what they’re up to by showing that 🤔

16 hours ago, Superclam said:

So I guess everybody survived that cliffhanger? 

Not one of their finest, it’s a shame because there was absolutely no room left on the edge of my seat 😭

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

That clip was used 4 months ago in a commercial for a mobile phone game, I have no idea what they’re up to by showing that 🤔

Never saw it before. LOL I caught my interest so maybe that's the only point?