Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

(edited)

True enough. I still just would have loved to have seen just one townsperson to go "Wait, what? Her? Really?" after JSS. They certainly found more than enough time to ponder less interesting crap the first half.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 2

True enough. I still just would have loved to have seen just one townsperson to go "Wait, what? Her? Really?" after JSS. They certainly found more than enough time to ponder less interesting crap the first half.

I agree. They've skimped on various Carol bits I would have wanted to see (like her immediate reaction about Sam). I think they've struggled with how far they've taken Carol in the last few years and where the line between character and caricature is. I'm hoping tonight's episode is going to address that, because she deserves the clarity.

I kind of wonder if the Sam thing may come up tomorrow with Carol and be part of what crack her a little. If anyone might have reason to suspect what made Sam break on the road it's her - she'd have to be thinking of it once she heard the story, and that is a lot to live with.

• Love 1

Tobin? WTF that's totally out of nowhere. She hasn't interacted with Tobin since the first episode or 2 after they arrived in Alexandria. That just seems really random. Unless it's not really a kiss, kiss? Like he's dying so she gives him a goodbye kiss before shiving him? Or the Kiss of Death for betraying "the family"? LOL

(edited)

Apparently, a lot of Tobin and Carol interaction must've happened over the two months it wasn't important enough to show...

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1

Oh man. I'm so stupid. I just looked up Tobin on the interwebz and I shit you not, when I saw his picture I thought he was Porchdick.

That's how little he even registered with me, and I still don't know what he did in the show...oy...

(edited)

Oh man. I'm so stupid. I just looked up Tobin on the interwebz and I shit you not, when I saw his picture I thought he was Porchdick.

That's how little he even registered with me, and I still don't know what he did in the show...oy...

2 things i remember was the construction crew with Abe and helping Rick fix the wall back before the Walkers broke through. Other than that, I've got nothing.

I'm totally begging for information here, i need to know if Carol survives. Anyone have any spoilers about Carol past the next couple of episodes? Please share! I won't be watching TWD live until i know she's safe. If she's not, well i just won't watch at all.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)

Rosita might be the one swinging Lucille instead of Negan, if Abraham is going to be the victim! 

Well, those Lucille victims' pictures on tonight's episode were terrible... very disturbing.  And that is saying a lot when this show is already disturbing by nature!

I still have to wonder if Glenn would possibly meet Lucille since he "met" her in the comics.  It doesn't seem like he would be the one to die that way on the show -- and yet, not only has he cheated death many times already, it just seems like there is a cloud of doom over his head whenever he is talking to Maggie, or talking to Abraham, or looking at the photos of the Lucille victims, etc.  All of that seems to be leading up to something, or somewhere.

But Abraham is having his little existential/early mid-life crisis and being a jerk -- and that feels like it's leading up to something too.

Edited by Sherry67
(edited)

After last night's episode, I am convinced that both Abraham and Glenn will meet their comic characters' fates. I think Abraham left Rosita because he thinks that the end is near. He did see his dead wife or some apparition when he was being strangled. With Maggie's capture, I see Glenn doing anything to save her including offering himself up as a sacrifice.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

After last night's episode, I am convinced that both Abraham and Glenn will meet their comic characters' fates. I think Abraham left Rosita because he thinks that the end is near. He did see his dead wife or some apparition when he was being strangled. With Maggie capture, I see Glenn doing anything to save her including offering himself up as a sacrifice.

I know there's been a lot of spec that Tara will meet Abraham's fate, and it does feel like the end for Tara (facing her demons over The Governor, the "I'll tell you I love you when you get back" angst for Denise, the goodbye with Glenn). 

Maybe Tara, Abraham, and Glenn all die...

I could see them giving Glenn's death to Abraham, Abraham sacrificing himself for their future (Glenn/Maggie and baby), but would that be emotional enough for viewers or big enough for a season finale? 

(edited)

So, I 100% vote for Abe to meet Lucille.

I think Glenn has a date with Lucille. The scene where he sees the Polaroids of what I assume are Lucille's victims was bone-chilling foreshadowing. His engaging in a "live kill," of two sleeping people no less, also seems like a damning loss of innocence. 

I agree that Abraham could die, though. His storyline seems to be winding down, just as it did in the comics. Sasha volunteering the information that she's arranged for Eugene to patrol with Abraham sets up Abraham's death quite nicely, since he died in the comics while out with Eugene. With that said, I believe TSDF said Abraham is still alive as of 6x15.

I think Tara does die, but I don't think it will be in 6x13 (why have Alanna Masterson guest on TD two episodes in a row?). Who is the "surprise" guest likely to be in 6x13, though, assuming it is a dead character and assuming it's not Alanna or Michael Cudlitz?

If Tara is killed off in 6x14, that would make Alanna Masterson's comments on TD last night about how it's so great to work on a show that allows you to have a family some serious shade.

The other thing I'm thinking is that with several new major players on the scene (Jesus, Negan, Gregory, etc.), someone's going to have to go to make room for them. It's not so much an issue of budget, but rather that the cast is so big that they only have room for so many roles, else you have a situation where characters disappear for five episodes at a time as they get rotated in and out. Losing at least three major characters by season's end (Glenn, Tara, and maybe someone else) sounds about right.

Of characters that are "expendable": Glenn and Abraham die in the comics in this arc. Denise and Spencer also die (although not until later in the comic and events likely covered by Season 7). Morgan and Carol are already dead in the comics. Daryl, Sasha and Tara are show-only characters, although Tara could have Comic Abraham's death, and Sasha could have Comic Holly's, as I'll explain.

Characters on Team Rick who are currently alive on the show and who are still alive in the comics as of the most recent issue (i.e. the one just released): Rick, Michonne, Carl, Eugene, Father Gabriel, Jesus, and Maggie. So if you want to know who's "safe" for the next arc, that's a good starting point. (Now that Father Gabriel is doing his best Jules Winnfield from Pulp Fiction, I'm more than happy to see him stick around.)

It's been speculated that Sasha will wind up playing the role of Holly, who was the woman Abraham dumped Rosita for in the comics. Holly also died in this arc in the comics. The interesting thing about Holly is that a key plot point in her capture is that she's believed to be Rick's wife, which could, theoretically, apply to a Sasha/Michonne mixup, despite the fact that they look nothing alike other than both being black and of athletic builds.

I'm totally begging for information here, i need to know if Carol survives. Anyone have any spoilers about Carol past the next couple of episodes? Please share! I won't be watching TWD live until i know she's safe. If she's not, well i just won't watch at all.

Carol makes it at least to 6x16, I believe (from TSDF), as does Morgan. Whether she and Morgan survive 6x16, we don't know, but she at least makes it to the finale. We also know, thanks again to TSDF, that she's not part of the "lineup" from whom Negan is selecting Lucille's victim, and neither is Morgan.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I think to have the impact it had  in the comic book it has to be one of the Atlanta 5.  That is a huge scene, and a second string player isn't going to cut it for Kirkman.

• Love 1

I think to have the impact it had  in the comic book it has to be one of the Atlanta 5.  That is a huge scene, and a second string player isn't going to cut it for Kirkman.

Let's just say that if I had any doubts about Glenn's date with Lucille, that haunting moment where he sees the Polaroids on the wall eradicated them.

• Love 5

I think Glenn has a date with Lucille. The scene where he sees the Polaroids of what I assume are Lucille's victims was bone-chilling foreshadowing. His engaging in a "live kill," of two sleeping people no less, also seems like a damning loss of innocence. 

I agree that Abraham could die, though. His storyline seems to be winding down, just as it did in the comics. Sasha volunteering the information that she's arranged for Eugene to patrol with Abraham sets up Abraham's death quite nicely, since he died in the comics while out with Eugene. With that said, I believe TSDF said Abraham is still alive as of 6x15.

I think Tara does die, but I don't think it will be in 6x13 (why have Alanna Masterson guest on TD two episodes in a row?). Who is the "surprise" guest likely to be in 6x13, though, assuming it is a dead character and assuming it's not Alanna or Michael Cudlitz?

If Tara is killed off in 6x14, that would make Alanna Masterson's comments on TD last night about how it's so great to work on a show that allows you to have a family some serious shade.

The other thing I'm thinking is that with several new major players on the scene (Jesus, Negan, Gregory, etc.), someone's going to have to go to make room for them. It's not so much an issue of budget, but rather that the cast is so big that they only have room for so many roles, else you have a situation where characters disappear for five episodes at a time as they get rotated in and out. Losing at least three major characters by season's end (Glenn, Tara, and maybe someone else) sounds about right.

Of characters that are "expendable": Glenn and Abraham die in the comics in this arc. Denise and Spencer also die (although not until later in the comic and events likely covered by Season 7). Morgan and Carol are already dead in the comics. Daryl, Sasha and Tara are show-only characters, although Tara could have Comic Abraham's death, and Sasha could have Comic Holly's, as I'll explain.

Characters on Team Rick who are currently alive on the show and who are still alive in the comics as of the most recent issue (i.e. the one just released): Rick, Michonne, Carl, Eugene, Father Gabriel, Jesus, and Maggie. So if you want to know who's "safe" for the next arc, that's a good starting point.

It's been speculated that Sasha will wind up playing the role of Holly, who was the woman Abraham dumped Rosita for in the comics. Holly also died in this arc in the comics. The interesting thing about Holly is that a key plot point in her capture is that she's believed to be Rick's wife, which could, theoretically, apply to a Sasha/Michonne mixup, despite the fact that they look nothing alike other than both being black and of athletic builds.

I'd be surprised if Alanna meant it as shade, since they were fine working with Sonequa-Martin Green through her pregnancy, but I guess it depends on how she feels about her exit (if she goes).

Isn't Denise also killed when Holly dies? I think Spencer dies around then too.

I could see a high body count coming up, but they'd be getting rid of such a large chunk of their cast in a short space of time, I wonder if they will change some things up.

I'd hate seeing Sasha go that way, even if they seem to have no real interest in her now. I just hope her last story won't be as Abraham's fantasy bride.

(edited)

Isn't Denise also killed when Holly dies? I think Spencer dies around then too.

I could see a high body count coming up, but they'd be getting rid of such a large chunk of their cast in a short space of time, I wonder if they will change some things up.

I'd hate seeing Sasha go that way, even if they seem to have no real interest in her now. I just hope her last story won't be as Abraham's fantasy bride.

Holly died in 117, and Denise died in 121. Given that the finale is probably only going up to the events of 100, both Sasha and Denise are likely "safe" for the rest of Season 6 if the writers stick to the comics.

I forgot to mention that Heath and Aaron are also still alive in the comics. Assuming fidelity to the comics, the "safe" list for the next few seasons would be as follows: Rick, Carl, Michonne, Maggie, Jesus, Eugene, Heath, Father Gabriel, and Aaron. (There are some minor Alexandria characters in there too, like Olivia.) Everyone else is fair game.

Someone pointed out in the Comics thread that Heath's actor is signed on to play the lead in the new 24 series. If so, Heath could be checking out a lot sooner than his comic book self (a la Andrea). Still, I doubt Heath would get Lucilled (second string player, etc. etc.).

Edited by Eyes High

Let's just say that if I had any doubts about Glenn's date with Lucille, that haunting moment where he sees the Polaroids on the wall eradicated them.

I agree.  That was a very pointed scene.  (I just want it to be Abraham.)

• Love 4
Carol makes it at least to 6x16, I believe (from TSDF), as does Morgan. Whether she and Morgan survive 6x16, we don't know, but she at least makes it to the finale. We also know, thanks again to TSDF, that she's not part of the "lineup" from whom Negan is selecting Lucille's victim, and neither is Morgan.

Who is part of the Lucille "lineup?" (Can you share it here?) I've checked out the TSDF site and cannot find a reference to it.

(edited)

Who is part of the Lucille "lineup?" (Can you share it here?) I've checked out the TSDF site and cannot find a reference to it.

TSDF doesn't know for a fact who is or isn't in the lineup. They have stated the following, though:

1. Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Sasha and Abe's actors were spotted the night the Lucille scene was supposedly filmed. There could be more, but those were the only ones spotted. (In the comics, I believe the lineup was Rick/Carl/Michonne/Glenn/Maggie/Sophia/Heath.)

2. They don't think Morgan and Carol will be a part of the lineup, since the two characters wind up at some kind of camp apart from Team Rick and they don't think it's likely that they make it back to the rest of Team Rick by the time the lineup scene takes place.

I'm kind of curious to see how Morgan and Carol wind up sharing scenes together, since Carol is a prisoner in 6x13 and Morgan's still back in Alexandria. I guess Carol makes it safely out of captivity at some point--we know she has a scene with Daryl in 6x15--so either she goes back to Alexandria, or Morgan heads out to meet up with her.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
(edited)

This preview/clip of next Sunday's episode is not the same exact one that was shown on Talking Dead, is it?  I saw the one on TD, but can't remember if this was the same thing, second by second, or if this one is slightly longer -- http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/03/the-walking-dead-episode-613-same-boat.html

I suspect that Alicia Witt may be the mystery guest on Talking Dead, if she can get away from the Nashville set.

Edited by Sherry67

Thank you.  This means I can watch next week without fear.  I'll just wait to see what TSDF has to say about 616 once we get closer.

2 things i remember was the construction crew with Abe and helping Rick fix the wall back before the Walkers broke through. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Thanks in advance.

I wonder if that's why they are issuing the smack downs over spoilers as of late - Are the deaths coming up so bad that they think people will simply stop watching if they know?

Holly died in 117, and Denise died in 121. Given that the finale is probably only going up to the events of 100, both Sasha and Denise are likely "safe" for the rest of Season 6 if the writers stick to the comics.

I forgot to mention that Heath and Aaron are also still alive in the comics. Assuming fidelity to the comics, the "safe" list for the next few seasons would be as follows: Rick, Carl, Michonne, Maggie, Jesus, Eugene, Heath, Father Gabriel, and Aaron. (There are some minor Alexandria characters in there too, like Olivia.) Everyone else is fair game.

Someone pointed out in the Comics thread that Heath's actor is signed on to play the lead in the new 24 series. If so, Heath could be checking out a lot sooner than his comic book self (a la Andrea). Still, I doubt Heath would get Lucilled (second string player, etc. etc.).

Now that I see that list, I am think maytbe someone else is going to take Abraham and/or Glenn's deaths. The show cannot imagine that the show cannot stay fateful to that the comics' safe list. it has be unpredictable to keep the fans' interest.

(edited)

I clearly don't know who will die. Still I read what I can (except for the comics, and even then I get sense from what's on there from what people say here.)

I don't know how important it is they follow the comics as far as who dies. (But it's more information and guidance than what we have for other shows.)

To me, another factor is the business end of it. For instance, they will never kill Rick. He is the show. Now they may do it out of spite as the show starts seriously declining or if Andy bails on them to go do movies.

I think - despite the threat No One's Safe (and that helps the popularity of the show) - the core group is safe. As others have pointed out, they've not been able to introduce a new character that was highly popular since Michonne. (Yes, most characters have their fans, like, even now, FPP.)

So, I think Rick, Carl, Michonne, Carol, Glenn and Maggie are safe. (And Judith.)(Daryl I'm not so sure about, but he is a REAL fan favorite!)

I mean it sounds like they are already losing the Heath actor and he just got there. Tara, Rosita, Eugene, Sasha, FPP - all kind of interesting, but they can't carry the show. Neither can Abraham despite the actor.

And Aaron, Eric, Spenser, Denise, Tobin - third-string at best. (No offense to the actors.)

Jesus may grow into something. But who knows. Tyreses was supposed to be something! As was the Governor, on the bad-guy side.

No, I think they HAVE to keep the core group or risk losing audience. Don't forget: this is Season 6. Yeah, it's still popular, but age (and contracts) is going to catch up to them quick. And if they don't have the right leads, if they've killed the interesting ones, good luck. Look at Fear the Walking Dead, and the problem of having a weak cast.

(Sorry in advance for any typos.)

Edited by JackONeill

Jesus may grow into something. But who knows. Tyreses was supposed to be something! As was the Governor.

No, I think they HAVE to keep the core group or risk losing audience. Don't forget: this is Season 6. Yeah, it's still popular, but age (and contracts) is going to catch up to them quick. And if they don't have the right leads, if they've killed the interesting ones, good luck. Look at Fear the Wakking Dead, and the problem of having a weak cast.

I think the Governor was supposed to be pretty much what he turned out to be - he was just a silly character, and too comic book-y. I'm not sure if Negan will be any better.

They did get a lot wrong with Tyreese, likely because his main relationships (Michonne, Rick) weren't there on the show. I don't think they've ever managed to find new characters as popular as some big names, but I think they've managed to find a group that is diverse enough to have a variety of fans. The talk used to be that Daryl was the only good character on the show, and that everyone only watched for him. Now you hear that more about someone like Carol, but there's support for various characters, even some of the newer characters. I think it's one of the reasons the show has had a gradual rather than huge quick ratings dropoff - they fill various tastes, especially compared to the first few seasons, where it was Lori/Rick/Shane, Andrea, maybe Glenn, and "the rest," like on Gilligan's Island.

I imagine how they handle the upcoming death will be make or break for many, though.

• Love 1

I can't understand the majority of what Norman Reedus says so Daryl has never been a favourite of mine. That said, I can't see him dying.

I like the idea of Abraham (see ya!) sacrificing himself for Maggie/Glenn but think it will probably be Glenn to meet Lucille. He's had lots of emotional dialogue this season and I think Steven Yuen might be looking at expanding his career somewhat.

I was also wondering if they'll leave the fate of Tara and Dr Dre unresolved owing to Alanna's pregnancy and Corey Hawkins's role on the 24 thing.

(edited)

I think Steven Yuen might be looking at expanding his career somewhat.

I don't claim to have any special inside information about the acting biz, but I sort of thought a gig like being a major character on TWD, on paper at least, would be ideal: long-running, popular, no worries about cancellation, steady work, etc. etc. True, there are big downsides (filming in summer in Georgia), but isn't a gig like Glenn the dream for a working actor who wasn't a known name before the show?

On TWD, there are actors who had respectable careers before their stint on the show, and will have respectable careers long after their stint on the show (Tovah Feldshuh, Michael Cudlitz, etc. etc.). Then there are actors who did very little before their TWD role and will likely do very little after their TWD role. For someone like Tovah Feldshuh or Michael Cudlitz, I doubt the show is the be-all and end-all. For some of these other actors, though, the show pretty much is their career. Is the TWD role just another role, or the role?

Steven Yeun was very young when he got the role, so it stands to reason he might like to try something else. Really, though, is he ever going to do anything as steady and reliable in the way of paying work as TWD?

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I just heard the Melissa McBride is the guest on TTD this Sunday. This is a fake-out, right? They wouldn't be telegraphing Carol's death by scheduling her for The Couch of Doom, would they?

I think it's very possible everything pointing at Glenn (the baby, the pictures on the wall) is a deliberate fake-out. Or they could follow through, I don't know. Right now my money is on him or Daryl, leaning towards Daryl a bit just because I know how much they like mixing things up and have faked everyone out on Glenn so many times, knowing people are 'expecting' him to get it from Negan.

I just heard the Melissa McBride is the guest on TTD this Sunday. This is a fake-out, right? They wouldn't be telegraphing Carol's death by scheduling her for The Couch of Doom, would they?

Daryl and Carol have a scene in 6x15 according to TSDF, so Carol survives 6x13 handily.

(edited)

Daryl's hallucinated Merle before and Rick shared a scene with Lori after her death, so…

TSDF has also said that of 6x16 Carol and Morgan wind up at some kind of camp. Whether they survive the finale is unknown--I saw some rumour about Carol getting clocked with a gun in 6x16 by one of Negan's goons--but both of them make it that far, at least.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

The Walking Dead - Episode 6.14 - 6.16 (Season Finale) - Titles and Synopsis Revealed
Posted by DarkUFO at Tuesday, March 08, 2016
http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/03/the-walking-dead-episode-614-616-season.html

Episode 6.14 - Cross
Heath and Tara are still out on their supply run. Instead of finding goods for Alexandria, they find trouble.

Episode 6.15 - The Calm Before
Rick's group confront a horrible situation they may not be able to overcome

Episode 6.16 - Something to Fear
In the aftermath of a tragic blow, Eugene falls captured by Dwight, a member of the Saviors, whom are hell bent on getting even with Alexandria, Negan teaches Rick and co a brutal lesson, which shows that Rick and co finally have something to fear.

(edited)
Episode 6.14 - Cross

Heath and Tara are still out on their supply run. Instead of finding goods for Alexandria, they find trouble.

Episode 6.16 - Something to Fear

In the aftermath of a tragic blow, Eugene falls captured by Dwight, a member of the Saviors, whom are hell bent on getting even with Alexandria,

RIP, Tara. I'm guessing she dies in 6x14 but the news doesn't get back to Eugene until 6x15 or 6x16. TSDF says that Alanna Masterson didn't film anything past 6x14.

Abe's actor was spotted filming the night the Lucille scene was filmed, so he's probably still alive and kicking at least until the end of 6x16. The "tragic blow" is unlikely to be Abe's death. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

It's not that I want to see anyone get their head bashed in with a barbed wire-covered bat (or whatever Lucille is covered with) -- especially not if it looks anything like what those awful photos looked like in this past episode, and especially not if it's a character I actually like or feel invested in on the show.  I do like mostly everyone -- all of the more prominent characters -- in some way (except for maybe Enid), so it will be tough to deal with any of them suffering that fate. 

And yet, I'm ready for the show to shake things up and rattle the proverbial cage (the one that Morgan must be welding!).  Just as they shocked me when they did the back-to-back deaths of Dale and Shane in Season 2, and when they killed off Lori, T-Dog, Merle and Andrea in Season 3, I am ready to be shocked and horrified again.

With that said, why do I have a feeling that this Negan-Lucille appearance is going to end up fizzling out and not being anywhere near as awful as it should be?

• Love 2

With that said, why do I have a feeling that this Negan-Lucille appearance is going to end up fizzling out and not being anywhere near as awful as it should be?

I don't think it can be. The comic has Glenn still saying Maggie's name even as his eyes have been battered from their sockets and his face is hamburger. It's just complete gore. The show is gory, but not on that level. I imagine it was also a huge shock to comic readers, and while I know a lot of viewers don't know about the comics and don't go online to read people saying something is going to happen, I don't think the shock will be as heavy. 

I also wonder if Kirkman even wants a repeat of that. Didn't he say later that he regretted killing Glenn? 

RIP, Tara. I'm guessing she dies in 6x14 but the news doesn't get back to Eugene until 6x15 or 6x16. TSDF says that Alanna Masterson didn't film anything past 6x14.

The only thing I wonder about is that the writeup directly says she and Heath are in trouble. I'd think she would have been a shock death, like Abraham was in her place. Unless she and Heath beat some bad guys and seem safe and then she gets it. I don't know. 

I do wonder if she and Heath might disappear and we later learn they're captured.

The filming spoiler is a big one, but it's the "Denise didn't tell Tara she loves her" that is most pointing to her dying. But that is so obvious even a lot of people who aren't spoiled now assume Tara will die. Are they faking people out or is it just lazy writing?

• Love 1

I've been tempted to say for this for awhile. (I'm not a comics reader, but I am familiar with the storyline thanks to this website.)

I understand Neegan is the big baddy (even though I heard that about the governor). Then, there was Terminus AND a baseball bat which killed people, whom were then eaten. (Let's face seeming here: what's worse than cannabilism?)

I guess my question is SO? We've already seen a baseball used in a pretty intense scene (yes not against one of the core). And then, before you knew it, that story ended (some might say fizzled, because it went from tense to let's go find Beth, while people, including her own sister, were asking, "Who?")

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm skeptical the tPTB can pull it off. I think people will die in the next few shoes. I say that for no other reason in that the cast has gotten too large. There are shows when some of the leads barely have a sentence to say. I think even some a lead or two will die.I think TPTB get off on that. They get off on the gore. They get off on having the audience trembling their boot, thinking they're some bad-asses.

Well, I like story and characterization. And I seem to wind up being disappointed more than most. Let me quickly say: I realize the show isn't made for me. It's just that I see potential, yet I never see it realized. I see really got thoughts, but no follow-through.

• Love 4
(edited)

I can handle hardcore gore in almost all its forms but the Glenn death sequence was beyond awful and I felt it was just Kirkman doing shock for shock's sake, which is part of the reason I gave up reading the comic regularly well before then - I've never been fond of his writing and I think the show has improved upon his concept and characters in virtually every way possible. I have no desire to see it play out that graphically, nor could it on AMC. It will be awful no matter who it is and how it's shot, but it won't be quite that.

I don't usually read spoilers for TWD so I'll probably tip out if it gets too heavy in here but I will light a candle for poor Tara in case she goes.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

I can handle hardcore gore in almost all its forms but the Glenn death sequence was beyond awful and I felt it was just Kirkman doing shock for shock's sake, which is part of the reason I gave up reading the comic regularly well before then - I've never been fond of his writing and I think the show has improved upon his concept and characters in virtually every way possible. I have no desire to see it play out that graphically, nor could it on AMC. It will be awful no matter who it is and how it's shot, but it won't be quite that.

I think that was the purpose of showing the extremely graphic Polaroids first.  So you picture those when it happens.  I'm pretty sure they cannot show that in live action.  HOWEVER, I watched the premiere of American Horror Story this season (never having seen it before), and the violence was truly revolting, and I watch this stuff.  It worries me how far they really can go.

TWD at least saves it up for maximum punch, but the throat slitting at the trough in Terminus was very disturbing, and I wish I hadn't seen it.  I really, really, really, really don't want to see anyone's head beaten to oblivion, much less a character I like, so I will not be watching live.  I'll have to get a report first.  The gore of people getting eaten by walkers doesn't faze me that much, because 1.  I actually look away for most of it. and 2. It's never going to be real, and that keeps some psychological distance.  People murdering each other is a real thing, and it has intent and brutality that mindless walkers do not have.  So I find it more disturbing.

I agree with Eyes High that Glenn seeing the photos means he's getting it, but OTOH, it could be another fakeout.  I think there are anvils falling in all directions to keep everyone unsure of who will die.  But my gut feeling is that all the other near misses with Glenn are leading up to the Big Bad.  The menace so terrible that even Glenn cannot escape.  That would have the biggest impact, since the impression we're supposed to have is that Negan is worse than all the others, and then some.  But no one will ever be worse than Gareth to me, no matter how many people he clubs to death.

• Love 3

I went back and looked at the TSDF spoilers, and the Daryl/Carol scene is in 6x14, not 6x15.

6x15 has a scene where Daryl is very angry at Dwight for having done something and thinks that he should have killed him (back in the first half of Season 6). Glenn and Michonne are trying to talk him out of a foolhardy revenge mission, saying that "She's gone," that Daryl is doing "this" (seeking revenge, I assume) for himself and not for this female person, and that they should head back to regroup. Daryl is initially not very receptive, saying he'll do what he should have done (kill Dwight, I assume) "for her." Later in the same episode, Glenn and Michonne wind up captured by the Saviours, and Glenn attempts a rescue mission. He's surprised by Dwight, though, who appears to fire on him just as the episode ends (although Daryl is still alive and kicking in 6x16, as far as we know). I think Rosita might be in this part with Glenn and Michonne, although I can't remember exactly.

• Love 1
(edited)

I also wonder if Kirkman even wants a repeat of that. Didn't he say later that he regretted killing Glenn?

It's been a while and I can't recall the original sources, but I distinctly remember reading a Kirkman interview where he said his two greatest regrets in the graphic novel were

(1) cutting off Rick's hand so early in the series, and (2) likewise killing off Glenn so early.

ETA: And we already know Kirkman didn't follow comic book canon on one of those, so....

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 2
(edited)

Realistically, I wonder how many more seasons TWD will run.   Assuming there isn't any kind of enormous plunge in ratings, or some sort of evidence to suggest that the show is no longer popular, I wonder what the "plan" is for the number of seasons (like in the way Vince Gilligan pretty much knew that Breaking Bad was going to run for 5 seasons after the first season or two had finished).  Kirkman says he knows exactly how the whole story will end, but he says the end won't come for a while.  It seems like some things (certain deaths) are planned out way in advance -- even a full year ahead of time in some cases -- so everything that happens with the ill-fated characters on the show is just kind of building up to (or telegraphing) their demise. 

Even if they don't die this season,  it certainly seems by the way their stories are being written that several characters are doomed to not survive until the end of the series -- Glenn, Abraham and Tara are just a few, but I also think that Daryl will go at some point.  I am not even convinced that Rick will survive until the very end of the series (especially if Andy ends up getting restless and wants to move on to other work).  If there is a specific endgame in mind -- such as "We're going to end this series at 10 seasons" or something -- then killing off someone like Rick in Season 9 wouldn't be such a huge deal.  I mean, it would be a huge deal -- because he is Rick -- but not huge in that it would be the end of the show if he left, because the show would be ending soon anyway, .  But I wonder if they will try to go for 10 seasons, or wrap it all up sooner.

I am very curious to see exactly who will be standing in the very last episode of TWD, when that time comes.  Will it be some odd pairing like... Carl and Carol?  Maggie and Judith?  Tobin and Rosita?  Morgan and Michonne?  Negan and Denise?

Edited by Sherry67

I was stunned to read that the stock price of AMC rises and falls based on the popularity of this show.  It's their bread and butter, especially without Mad Men and Breaking Bad around anymore.  I think as long as there's material to work with, the show will go on as long as possible.  Or at least until they can create something else to replace it.  It's hard to capture lightning in a bottle.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was stunned to read that the stock price of AMC rises and falls based on the popularity of this show.  It's their bread and butter, especially without Mad Men and Breaking Bad around anymore.  I think as long as there's material to work with, the show will go on as long as possible.  Or at least until they can create something else to replace it.  It's hard to capture lightning in a bottle.

Very true.  It's not like any of AMC's other brand new series are catching on in the same way The Walking Dead has caught on.  So far, even Fear the Walking Dead is not catching on in the same way -- though there is still room for it to get there if Season 2 is any better.   I don't know about Mad Men (I didn't really watch it), but even in the case of Breaking Bad -- which I did watch -- I know it took a couple of seasons before it really started to pick up steam and find its audience.  Better Call Saul -- while offering many tips of the hat to Breaking Bad in almost every episode -- has kind of an uphill climb, and no one is really sure what will happen with it.

So, yes, it's absolutely true that a network is very lucky to land a juggernaut of a series -- a water cooler kind of series, sort of like Lost was in its heyday -- and everyone involved, from the network execs to the actors to the lighting guys, should hang on and ride that gravy train all the way to the station.  Hopefully TWD -- unlike Lost -- will stay on course and not get too ridiculous, to the point where the viewers are almost glad to see it end.

Edited by Sherry67
(edited)

One of the main reasons that AMC's stock prices is so dependent on TWD's success is because they have had a lot of legal trouble, picking wars with cable companies and losing as well as this legal battle with Darabont. AMC execs are dooches, basically. 

I think TWD goes four more years easy and I would not be surprised if it makes it to even 14 years although no doubt AMC will try to low ball the cast and production. Unlike network shows with 23 or 24 episodes per season, TWD has has far fewer episodes per season and it is a ratings juggernaut in the key demo of 18 to 49. Even if the ratings decline to half of what it is now, 6.1 to 3.0, TWD would be one of the highest scripted dramas on tv with only Empire coming close.

I would be surprised if Andy Lincoln, Danai Gurira, Norman Reedus, Melissa McBride, Lauren Cohan, Steven Yeun or anyone else in the core willingly leaves the show any time soon. None of them have ever made this kind of money or had this kind of steady work or high profile before. This is where they make their bank and use their high profile to start new projects like Danai's Broadway play before moving on to other things. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Andrew has said that he would leave if Scott Gimple left, but then, it's easier to say those types of things than do them, aside from those who were so closely connected to a showrunner/creator, like Jeff DeMunn with Darabont.

• Love 1

Isn't it already set for what, two more years at least? I think it may run to ten or more. The premise potentially supports it provided the show and cast continue to evolve, unlike most shows at that length. But I don't think it should go much longer - even eight to ten is pushing it for most shows.

• Love 2

Isn't it already set for what, two more years at least? I think it may run to ten or more. The premise potentially supports it provided the show and cast continue to evolve, unlike most shows at that length. But I don't think it should go much longer - even eight to ten is pushing it for most shows.

Yes. It could be the ER of AMC. ER had a very big cast (and a surprisingly high death/departure rate) and ran for 15 seasons. 

Better Call Saul will never reach the audience that TWD does, or even that BB did, which is a shame, because it's a fantastic show. If TWD is sufficiently successful for AMC to fund projects like BCS, then, so much the better.

• Love 4