Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06 Part VI

• Start Topic

Well just when I thought I knew where they were going with that tale... nope... the commercial break apparently broke Ambrose concentration so he didn't ask the obvious.

So in this episode, just in case any viewers were still unclear, we learn that the dark purpose of the cult, wrapped up and masked by spiritual mumbo-jumbo, is for men to freely abuse women while making them feel like they are benefiting from the abuse.

• Love 11

This was a terrific episode, IMO.

The plot seems a little ridiculous but crap like this happens.  I wonder if the bruises on the lower legs are a form of branding similar to what went on here

https://pagesix.com/2018/08/03/how-catherine-oxenberg-learned-her-daughter-was-in-an-alleged-sex-slave-cult/

I finally felt like I could believe the kid and Vera, and I was happy Ambrose and Julian connected but I hope Julian doesn't perish.  Although he'll be a messed up dude for a lotta years if he makes it.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Just wanted to point out in the opening credits that right before the changing shapes reveal a human face (which I am assuming is Julian), they show something that looks like bull's horns.

Dang.  Now I'm going to have to re-watch, but thanks for the tip!

Vera started lactating just from being around the baby?  What?

And did Vera poison the Beacon's tea?  Is he dead?  Where is he, dead or alive?

The shadow thing was in Julian's solitary confinement cell, which leads me to think it's entirely imaginary.  So what was going on at the house?  Did Julian run away or was he kidnapped?

I watched this, but I feel like I understand very little.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, izabella said:

The shadow thing was in Julian's solitary confinement cell, which leads me to think it's entirely imaginary.  So what was going on at the house?  Did Julian run away or was he kidnapped?

I watched this, but I feel like I understand very little.  

You couldn't understand, I had the same questions with no answers. I wasn't even sure if that was Marin in Purple Lake. The episode left me without anything to post.

Even men can start lactating around new born babies.

• Love 5

I watch this show but just think it could have all been done in two hours. it's OK, but in my opinion not award worthy. I know stuff like this goes on, but for some reason the way it is done it just seems silly and outrageous and melodramatic. 

• Love 3

The dark cloaked "woman" is Marin. At the end when it was looking in the window, it was a glimpse of a woman's face, not Vera's. The one he is imagining in his cell, is just that. I mean you have dreams of people you know, then you see them in real life. The body in the lake, not Marin. They automatically assumed it was her, but Fisher seems like the type to kill one of those woman he keeps burning..... But hopefully they'll get dental records. And Beacon is dead, from the tea. The mystery will be exactly who all is involved. Jack aka Mr Coon probably is. It looked like he could have been one of the guys, but they never showed him from the front.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, luvapickle said:

The dark cloaked "woman" is Marin. At the end when it was looking in the window, it was a glimpse of a woman's face, not Vera's.

It looked like Marin to me as well. I also thought I heard that there was a positive match for the body being Marin, though. I am NOT going to rewatch it so unless someone in here remembers what exactly was said it will remain a mystery to me.

7 hours ago, izabella said:

It was more than just being around the baby, she was letting the baby suckle or "latch" as she said.

The Beacon thinks Julian is his, I believe, after that speech about Abraham and Isaac.

So, two more episodes. Seems like we could wrap it up in one from here. 

• Love 1

I think heathers dad killed Marin or knew about because he felt she was a bad influence on her.  Vera poisoned the beacon because he was going to sacrifice Julian. 

Regarding the actress who plays Heather her whole mouth to teeth ratio seems off ?.

Edited by stacyasp
  • Love 1

Oh yeah, Vera definitely poisoned Beacon guy with that tea she gave him, to protect Julian from his probably human sacrifice, and stop with all the abuse in disguise of work. I really dont know about Vera, but I do think she loves Julian, and does seem to buy what she is selling at Mosswood, for better or for worse. 

Was Julian kidnapped, or did he run? I feel like the cloaked figure is real, or was at some point. Maybe it really is Marin? I dont think she is actually the dead body in the car, I think its one of the other young women we have seen around in flashbacks. 

I did NOT see Ambrose actually setting the fire as a kid. Well played, show. Well played. Maybe this is why he takes cases of people who commit these seemingly out of nowhere crimes, that are actually a part of a much bigger story.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, izabella said:

The tea was why I said the commercial break derailed Ambrose train of thought which is why he didn't ask the obvious question "What kind of tea?"

He asks "And everyone just followed you?" which is a question out of nowhere. At the point her narrative had stopped for commercial, she was "apologizing" to the Beacon, not standing up to him. And the Beacon becomes unhappy and drifts off from the cult? She's already told Ambrose about the violence.... he's not naive... he knows that people like that don't just let someone usurp their power over their flock. She didn't tell him that Julian was to be a sacrifice however. WE know that, but nothing in her story to Ambrose made that clear and he doesn't have any reason to know about the calf. But I hate it when writers have people behave in a totally unbelievable way as the method of avoiding revealing something to viewers. There's no reason at all for Ambrose to NOT ask about the tea, and every reason that he would.

A poster upthread mentioned that some sightings of the figure could be imaginary while others are real. I think the jury's still out on which it is or who. Having it be Marin is the obvious answer. Well, obvious if we assume that the body hasn't been proven to be Marin's yet even though Heather acted like it was. It's the answer I like the least. It's more interesting storytelling if it's Vera or imaginary. If the big reveal is that Marin is still alive and has been haunting or stalking Julian since she disappeared (and all is right with the world in the end, unless of course she killed the fake parents and has to go to jail) it's rather lazy writing. Last season was a let-down as well... but at least it wasn't what we could guess in advance.

4 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

I watch this show but just think it could have all been done in two hours.

Totally agree. Maybe not 2 hours but 4 or 5 tops.

3 hours ago, luvapickle said:

The dark cloaked "woman" is Marin. At the end when it was looking in the window, it was a glimpse of a woman's face, not Vera's. The one he is imagining in his cell, is just that. I mean you have dreams of people you know, then you see them in real life. The body in the lake, not Marin. They automatically assumed it was her, but Fisher seems like the type to kill one of those woman he keeps burning..... But hopefully they'll get dental records. And Beacon is dead, from the tea. The mystery will be exactly who all is involved. Jack aka Mr Coon probably is. It looked like he could have been one of the guys, but they never showed him from the front.

I also thought it was a woman's face, but I couldn't see whose. That doesn't preclude it from being imaginary. Have we been told how old Julian was when Marin disappeared? Seems like it's been kept vague all along. And once the beacon was gone, what would have been Marin's reason for staying secret and hidden if she wanted to come back? She'd have to be afraid of Vera.

We still don't know the reason Julian was kidnapped. There wouldn't be much reason for that either with the Beacon gone unless the couple knew Marin was alive and were taking him to her. That would mean Marin's total lack of interest in the baby was a red herring and Vera's attachment to him was the issue all along.

Who actually killed the couple? Julian thinks he did, or at least feels responsible in some way, but...

Who was the woman many many rambling episodes ago that had the necklace from the dead woman? Someone other than Julian was there.

What is Jack's role here? I keep hoping that he is basically a good guy with maybe some minor involvement in the cult.

Is Brick really just a side character with no real purpose other than they need more cops to be realistic, or is there going to be something more with him?

Who sedated Ambrose and got him back to the hotel room if we believe Vera saying it wasn't her? Could Marin have managed that on her own? Is she living in that cabin when Vera's not there?

A lot of dropped threads at the moment.

It does seem like they all assumed the body was Marin. I would expect better from Heather... she's a police officer as well as emotionally invested in it NOT being Marin.

2 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

The Beacon thinks Julian is his, I believe, after that speech about Abraham and Isaac.

Even if he wasn't the biological father, he would think of the baby as "his". They are all "his". I wonder if he got far enough in the biblical thought process to remember that Issac lives.... no thanks to Abraham. (I also vaguely remember from my bible studies that Issac's faith was so strong that he was willing to be sacrificed and THAT"S the reason God saved him... It wasn't really about Abraham at all, but I could be wrong)  So was the Beacon expecting divine intervention? Often these cult leaders don't actually believe their own hype; it's just a control mechanism. If he was expecting God to save Julian at the time of sacrifice, he's not merely a sociopath; he's flat out delusional, which is an interesting twist. (not THAT interesting, but at least it goes a step further than just your typical psychopathic cult leader)

Julian is ethnically ambivalent enough that he could be almost anyone's, but I'm also wondering if there is more to the DA guy now. Other than Heather, have we seen any other non-Caucasians? Was Heather's Mom black or maybe Heather was adopted? Black grandparent on her father's side? Normally I wouldn't care about Heather's race in relation to her Dad's, but parentage is a theme of this season, so I'm thinking it was deliberate that a black actress was cast, or at least that it will be addressed.

Also wanted to say that Carrie Coons is lovely with longer hair!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, luvapickle said:

You mean Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning playwright and actor Tracy Letts?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

You mean Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning playwright and actor Tracy Letts?

Yes, I do. It's just funny how everyone raves about Carrie Coons(not that I disagree). So I made a joke about it in another forum.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, slothgirl said:

It does seem like they all assumed the body was Marin. I would expect better from Heather... she's a police officer as well as emotionally invested in it NOT being Marin.

Seriously!  I know she disappeared, as far as anyone knows, but they also know that women were taken to Dr. Death and had abortions performed AND their uteruses removed.  They don't know that it isn't one of those women who died at Dr. Death's hands.  And, um, maybe keep looking in that lake?  Because maybe there are other bodies there!

• Love 3
On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 3:25 AM, izabella said:

It's been heard of.  From Healthline.com: "Mothers who are adopting babies and wish to breast-feed can prepare their breasts and increase prolactin levels with pumping."  It's possible that Vera did this because she realized Marin was somewhat rejecting the baby.

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, slothgirl said:

The tea was why I said the commercial break derailed Ambrose train of thought which is why he didn't ask the obvious question "What kind of tea?"

I'm not sure that what we were seeing was exactly what Vera was telling Ambrose.

• Love 4

Well, obvious if we assume that the body hasn't been proven to be Marin's yet even though Heather acted like it was.

Someone said it was a Jane Doe, so Heather assumed it was Marin because that's who she was looking for.  I'm wondering how, after 13 years underwater, the body was preserved enough for a diver (not the medical examiner) could even tell it was female.  Unless the reservoir was really cold.

Who was the woman many many rambling episodes ago that had the necklace from the dead woman? Someone other than Julian was there.

I thought the point of the necklace was that she had given it to the other woman because she knew she wasn't coming back, not that this other woman was at the motel.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Someone said it was a Jane Doe, so Heather assumed it was Marin because that's who she was looking for.  I'm wondering how, after 13 years underwater, the body was preserved enough for a diver (not the medical examiner) could even tell it was female.  Unless the reservoir was really cold.

I thought the point of the necklace was that she had given it to the other woman because she knew she wasn't coming back, not that this other woman was at the motel.

Yes, you are right about the necklace. I realied that on re-watch last night

The shape of the pelvis is how gender can be determined on a skeleton. You wouldn't have to be a doctor, but you would need knowledge of anatomy. The diver could conceivably have enough training. However if there was flesh on the skeleton, you might need other indicators. They didn't give us much of a look at it, but it appeared to have some hair left. (not that long hair is a good determiner) Maybe remnants of a skirt? Determining age would have been harder I would think. Did the diver make the call, or was the medical examiner there by the time they brought the body up?

Have we learned yet just WHEN Marin disappeared from Mosswood? I can't remember anything that definitely states that she left wile Julian was an infant, so it wouldn't have to be 13 years. One of the issues with this show being dragged out so long and with such a spider web of details, I can't remember what we've been told vs what we try to assume based on the few known facts. If they spent half as much time reinforcing the timeline a little better instead of using repeated shots of the fire as filler, I wouldn't spend so much time frustrated trying to remember important details. They did this in season 1 also... too much re-airing of the same shots of wallpaper and staircases and whatnot as filler.

I recently watched a movie on late night with Jessica Biel called the Tall Man... same sort of genre and managed to tell a complex story in movie length format. This show has too much padding just to make it a longer series. I think it's a mistake to be using this format.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Vera said Marin left not that long after Julian's birth.  Whether or not that is true is a different matter.

or what "not that long" means.... a few days? A few months? A year?

Something I sorta caught in my rewatch of the 1st couple of episodes, but can't remember now is that not only was Ambrose last visit to Keller 15 years ago wen Heather's mother died, but that something about the Mosswood thing happened 15 years ago as well... either that's when the cult bought the landd or that's when the corporate group started using it? Anyone remember? I really don't want to do a re-rewatch

Edited by slothgirl
16 hours ago, slothgirl said:

or what "not that long" means.... a few days? A few months? A year?

Something I sorta caught in my rewatch of the 1st couple of episodes, but can't remember now is that not only was Ambrose last visit to Keller 15 years ago wen Heather's mother died, but that something about the Mosswood thing happened 15 years ago as well... either that's when the cult bought the landd or that's when the corporate group started using it? Anyone remember? I really don't want to do a re-rewatch

I *think* the land transferred hands in the 90's.  This is also when the retreat went belly up, although I'm not sure which happened first.

"15 years ago" (2002 or 2003) seems like an important time.  If I'm not mistaken, it's when

• the girl in the psych ward filed malpractice charges against Dr. Poole
  • Heather's mother died (and Ambrose returned for the funeral)
  • Marin joined Mosswood

There was something else in 2002 I think.  Can't recall what..or maybe I'm misremembering.

"13 years ago" (2005) also seems significant

• the video found in the storage unit is dated 10/15/2005
  • Cattle farmer guy was in the 2005 video (he says in the video that he was thinking of his dad before he went ballistic)
  • Marin was in the 2005 video
  • Julian is 13

Unrelated but the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Ambrose ends up shacking up with Vera and praying to the gigantic rock.

Edited by Jextella

I wondered how long Vera had been at Mosswood and if she had given birth/nursed a baby shortly before arriving there? Losing a child would be a crisis that might make her vulnerable to joining a cult. 

I won't blame Heather for assuming the body in the lake is Marin, since she JUST asked the psych patient (Camille?) if she had seen Marin and was told too look for her in the purple lake. 

Who that was in the car and where the Beacon is remains to be seen and I would assume will explain why Vera sent Julian away.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

will explain why Vera sent Julian away.

Why do you think vera sent Julian away? I think it far more likely that Bess and Adam took him without her knowledge. There would be no reason for him to be spirited away without any clothes if she sent him away herself. I'm not buying that "they forgot his bag" story.

But I'm also having trouble reconciling Julian's ideas about lying with the fact that it seems he has lied during questioning since he was taken into custody. Maybe it's only been lies by omission though and those don't count.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

Questions I have after last week's episode....

1. It seems likely that Vera killed the Beacon with drugged tea Julian-style.  That was years ago.  Why the need to get Julian out of the compound now?
  2. It seems as if Vera did not like the violence the Beacon was introducing at around the same time.   Glen Fisher is still a compound member, correct? He seemed to relish in the violence.  If Vera put a kabosh on the Beacon and the violence, why would Glen still be a member?   Plus, he did put what I presume are burn marks on the hooker so some sort of physical stuff is still going on.  Maybe there is still a faction operating with Beacon
  3. The other question has to do with the video found in the storage locker?  Who is taking it?  The Beacon?  Someone working undercover?  Marien seems to know the video is running, but does she? Could be just a casual glance she made back at the camera
  4. We *think* Vera kills the Beacon yet his picture is still in the cabin and she sings his praises to Ambrose. Plus, there are still people like Glen out there practicing violence and Vera is still into the no-kid rule at the compound.  Things don't seem resolved where "the work" is concerned and we still can't say with certainty that the 

And a mini brain dump of thoughts:

The only reasons Vera would have to send Julian away would be to

• protect him from anyone wanting to offer Julian up as a sacrifice
  • keep him (if Marin returned and wanted to take him away)

The only reasons Bess and Andy would have to take Julian away without Vera's consent

• They are reformed and want him out of the place (which might explain the Jung books, i.e. a different philosophy)
  • They are taking him to someone to offer him up as the sacrifice always intended by the Beacon (seems unlikely; Andy is new to the compound and doesn't seem the type to be a brainwashed devotee)
  • They are taking him to Marin, his biological mother out of goodwill
  • Marin is out of the compound and is now demanding Julian back and tells the compound to bring him to her in Niagra Falls (where the storage unit is).  She could be blackmailing Vera etc. i.e. threatening to expose them for their misdeeds at the compound if they don't comply.  Bess and Adam call her bluff by taking Julian into hiding.
Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2018 at 6:46 PM, slothgirl said:

Why do you think vera sent Julian away? I think it far more likely that Bess and Adam took him without her knowledge. There would be no reason for him to be spirited away without any clothes if she sent him away herself. I'm not buying that "they forgot his bag" story.

But I'm also having trouble reconciling Julian's ideas about lying with the fact that it seems he has lied during questioning since he was taken into custody. Maybe it's only been lies by omission though and those don't count.

Wasn't there a phone call between Vera and the couple he was traveling with? I thought Vera made up the kidnapping story to cover for Julian, to give him a reason to have killed them.

7 hours ago, Jextella said:

They are taking him to Marin, his biological mother out of goodwill

Maybe Bess and Adam are young psychology students that Marin paid to infiltrate Mosswood and kidnap Julian. This would explain the philosophy books, how they can resist the programming, the crappy car (or did they say that they took someone from the compound's car), the cell phone, and needing GPS to get to their location. Bess and Adam would have to stay at Mosswood for some time in order for Julian to trust them and they might have been the hooded figure Julian dreams about due to a failed abduction attempt. 

12 hours ago, MamaMax said:

Wasn't there a phone call between Vera and the couple he was traveling with? I thought Vera made up the kidnapping story to cover for Julian, to give him a reason to have killed them.

I don't remember a call. Did we see the call or did Vera say there was a call? And if Vera sent Julian away, she would have prepared him for the fact that he was going. What reason would he have had for killing them? (Not that I'm convinced he did)

7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Maybe Bess and Adam are young psychology students that Marin paid to infiltrate Mosswood and kidnap Julian. 

Wasn't Bess already there when Julian was born? Wasn't she the other woman that was in scenes with Marin and Vera and the infant?

• Love 2

In my rewatch of episode One, I realized that the Bess is standing in the spot where Adam was when he drank. Given julian's seemingly calm demeanor until Bess starts choking, I'm wondering now if Bess drank from Adam's cup as well as her own, and the kid was not expecting her to be affected because both mugs weren't poisoned.

Despite Julian's claims over the various episodes that lying is not ok, when Ambrose asks him "To your parents?" (in response to Julian saying "I gave it to them") Julian answers "Yes", after much hesitation. He knows that Bess and Adam aren't his parents (doesn't he?) so either he is lying when he says he gave it to them, lying when he claims he gave it to his parents, KNOWS he is lying, or is it possible that Julian gave the Jimson weed tea to some other people he thought to be his parents at some other point in time? Could HE have killed the Beacon and/or Marin?

We see the hooded figure as an adult, but perhaps that's because Julian sees the figure that way. Could the figure be Shadow Julian?

Jack calls out "hey Jean, here's the Keller old boy I was talking about..." to someone walking down the street with a dog, but Jean is the woman at the restaurant and I'm pretty sure the person walking down the street is a man (in the closed captioning, it is spelled Jean, not Gene). Originally, I got the impression from Ep 1 that Jack was in early dementia stages. He "remembers" an explosion that Ambrose doesn't from school days. He remembers something else that Heather corrects him and says "Dad, that never happened". Also Heather seems to be doing basic shopping for him and reminds him he is almost out of this or that.

We get several good looks at a painting in the motel room of a lake. Could it be Purple Lake?

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2018 at 2:14 AM, slothgirl said:

I don't remember a call. Did we see the call or did Vera say there was a call? And if Vera sent Julian away, she would have prepared him for the fact that he was going. What reason would he have had for killing them? (Not that I'm convinced he did)

Wasn't Bess already there when Julian was born? Wasn't she the other woman that was in scenes with Marin and Vera and the infant?

Gosh, I cant remember when but I thought I remembered hearing a phone conversation between Vera and Bess, but I could be wrong. I thought Julian got nervous becasue of the car breaking down...he thought they were lying about that. 

On 9/11/2018 at 12:05 AM, slothgirl said:

In my rewatch of episode One, I realized that the Bess is standing in the spot where Adam was when he drank. Given julian's seemingly calm demeanor until the Bess starts choking, I'm wondering now if Bess drank from Adam's cup as well as her own, and the kid was not expecting her to be affected because both mugs weren't poisoned.

Despite Julian's claims over the various episodes that lying is not ok, when Ambrose asks him "To your parents?" (in response to Julian saying "I gave it to them") Julian answers "Yes", after much hesitation. He knows that Bess and Adam aren't his parents (doesn't he?) so either he is lying when he says he gave it to them, lying when he claims he gave it to his parents, KNOWS he is lying, or is it possible that Julian gave the Jimson weed tea to some other people he thought to be his parents at some other point in time? Could HE have killed the Beacon and/or Marin?

We see the hooded figure as an adult, but perhaps that's because Julian sees the figure that way. Could the figure be Shadow Julian?

Jack calls out "hey Jean, here's the Keller old boy I was talking about..." to someone walking down the street with a dog, but Jean is the woman at the restaurant and I'm pretty sure the person walking down the street is a man (in the closed captioning, it is spelled Jean, not Gene). Originally, I got the impression from Ep 1 that Jack was in early dementia stages. He "remembers" an explosion that Ambrose doesn't from school days. He remembers something else that Heather corrects him and says "Dad, that never happened". Also Heather seems to be doing basic shopping for him and reminds him he is almost out of this or that.

We get several good looks at a painting in the motel room of a lake. Could it be Purple Lake?

Every point here is great!  The only one I picked up on was the one about the painting in the motel room.  I noticed the lake picture too.  If I'm not mistaken, at one point the painting changed.  I think it was when Ambrose was in the room after spending time with Vera in the woods.

I like the point about the tea.  Julien was clearly close to Bess and not at all to Adam.

The guy Jack calls out to is a member of the compound if IMDB is correct!  But....I like the idea of Jack having early dementia.  He's creepy and seems like he's involved somehow but it could be he just looks that way.  

I'm not convinced Julian didn't have malintent.   There are a few scenes that make me think he is putting on a show.   In particular, when he says his mother can read minds and she's read Ambrose's and when he turned the lights off after Ambrose questioned him in the basement of the group home.  

Edited by Jextella
On 9/6/2018 at 11:26 AM, meep.meep said:

I can't look at him without thinking of his role on Seinfeld

image.png

Edited by BTBAM310
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2018 at 5:23 PM, Jextella said:

"15 years ago" (2002 or 2003) seems like an important time.  If I'm not mistaken, it's when

• the girl in the psych ward filed malpractice charges against Dr. Poole
  • Heather's mother died (and Ambrose returned for the funeral)
  • Marin joined Mosswood

The was some date, Feb. 20, 2002, and if Feb. becomes month 02, the date is 02202002