Type keyword(s) to search

S04,E05: Greening Pains

• Start Topic

I liked this episode.  Good point about nothing nutritious onboard Lucy.  Lucy and the science-maniac were cute together.  Weird to see Johnny and Kendry bonding (sort of) over being ex-Hullen.  I felt bad for Pip but I hope this is a chance to get the spider out before it does real damage.  I'm minorly annoyed that the previews for next week's episode were those of this episode.

• Love 4

Agreed abt the previews... I was really excited to know what's next and how Dutch/David/Dells Sayah/Aneela's kid will fit into it.. Tho I think its safe to say that the spiders are somehow working for the lady... Or at least someone working for the benefit of the lady... Also interested congratulate n how Dutch will get in with her nephew/brother/ son... I know she doesn't always do feelings but I have to imagine him being around and I assume he'll grow In power/importance will have an effect on everyone for sure but some conflicting feelings for dutch specifically 

• Love 1

Magic, fast aging sci fi baby! Not really a surprise after they made sure to mention how big it was in the womb last episode. Plus, narratively there is a lot more they can do with a teenager than a baby.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, snowwhyte said:

Magic, fast aging sci fi baby! Not really a surprise after they made sure to mention how big it was in the womb last episode. Plus, narratively there is a lot more they can do with a teenager than a baby.

Unless it ages so fast that it dies of old age before the lady can find out where it is.

6 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Unless it ages so fast that it dies of old age before the lady can find out where it is.

That's why they kidnapped that bioweapons expert AI from Utopia, so he would figure out an antidote. Which he did with Lucy's help. He got the antidote and we no longer have a fast-growing baby.

A magical/science fiction baby growing instantly! Well, I guess its understandable that they didnt want to drag a baby onto their adventures for who knows how long. Lucy is many wonderful things, but baby proof she is not. As Pip mentioned, they dont even have any liquids that arent booze!

Speaking of, poor Pip, the spider is starting to take over. I hope they can get it out of him without him having to die, and figure out he really didnt mean to do anything to the kid. And Zeph seems like she is actually warming up to being more than friends with benefits with him. Nothing like an evil spider possession to be things in perspective I guess. 

Weird seeing Johnny and Delle Seyah bonding, coming down from their mutual Hullen infections. It was actually nice. I also really liked when Johnny basically told her that she wouldn't feel so crappy if she wasn't such a crappy person. It seems like it actually made her think, and if they want to do a Delle Seyah redemption arc, I hope we get some more self reflection from her. I think we will, as no one seems to be ready to just forgive and forget what she has done, even if they're on the same side now. 

I know we are still in the midst of the greater story, but I liked going into a more traditional Killjoys style "lets do a job!" episode in between. The heist was fun (I cracked up at Johnny and Dutch doing big cheesy smiles and thumbs ups to the camera) as was the snark/flirting between Lucy and the AI crime boss. Also, an AI crime boss with a super ridiculous German accent! Thats just great stuff. 

So the story Dutch got wasn't necessarily totally true? Some details got changed to hide some stuff? And the plot thickens! 

Fancy and Gared were a fun combination, one that I didnt see coming, but I happy that I got! Pree is gonna beat down a whole long list of fools standing between him and his man. Pree saying how much he missed Gared, and just wanted to see him, despite his long and strange history of adventures, was adorable. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Pree saying how much he missed Gared, and just wanted to see him, despite his long and strange history of adventures, was adorable.

Pree's tough and formidable, but I don't think we've ever really seen him in "warlord" mode yet.  We might soon.

Meanwhile, I hope somebody explains to the kid that the smoking hot badass woman in charge is his mom.  Or his mom's memory clone.  Or basically not to lust after her.  That poor dude is going to need so very much therapy by the time this is all over.

One thing that recently occurred to me is that the first time we met Delle Seyah Kendry was in the Season One episode, "Vessel" which involved surrogates who carried Q'reshi noble infants and now Kendry has herself served as a surrogate for D'Avin and Aneela.

• Love 3

(almost) Immediately starting the [any] episode off with D/D bedroom shenanigans;  what a downer.  And trying to look at it without my severe D/J bias, anyone else find it kinda stalkery that he was camped out in her room to begin with, consider she was sleeping in the nude?   "'Yelling' in your sleep" is not a good excuse, man.  Johnny, your thoughts on the first couple minutes?  No answer replied, but an echoing thud that sounds eerily like a skull against metal can be heard from somewhere in the ship.  Even if the sex doesn't really mean anything - although I think it does, to D'avin at least - that makes it worse (IMO) if D/J is endgame.  They did this last year, as well.  Have a string of episodes with such a heavy D/J lean and then outta nowhere, they throw in a D/D hookup (or two) into an episode and I'm left with whiplash.

And I might have been wrong, at least about which Jaqobis brother, that will share 'sparks' with Delle Sayeh Kendry.  Swear to Gods, I'm paranoid and can't help it, but if they have Johnny and DSK turn into a 'thing', I'm gonna lose my shit.  How would it be justified?  "She killed Pawter, and even though she isn't dead, I killed her too.  So, let's let bygones be bygones.".  I can appreciate this new DSK and (possibly) getting to see her atone some (a bit, at least), but if it turns into J/DSK, that will be a hard sell.

Now, on to some better things about the episode/possible future . . . .

Wow, Lucy does not like sharing cyber-space, does she?  And yes, now we know;  computers can give people the cold shoulder.  Pip to Zeph, when John and Lucy were going back and forth;  "Is it just me, or is this weirdly kinda hot?"

The whole "G-O-T-Y-O-U-A-S-S-H-O-L-E" voice code to 'steal' the Kraven AI.

So, wasn't wrong about the spider being from The Lady.  Wonder how Zeph & TAF are going to take finding it inside Pip.

Pip:  "Ok, so first off;  have you guys been drunk the whole time I've known you?"

The gag where Pip was imagining how it would play out as they described their plan to kidnap Kraven.  OTT, but pretty funny.

Fancy & Gared were a good pair, and Gared is the quite the unintentional comedian;
Gared:  "So what do we do now?"
Fancy:  "Not talk."
Gared:  "Not talk.  Right.  I can do that.  I'm good at not talking.  I--"  *sees Fancy giving him the 'seriously?' look & shuts up*

So, The Lady can/wants to inhabit kids?  Wonder what the story is there.

And I'm guessing the "hallway of Hullen dolls" that took off were either going somewhere under the direction of The Lady or were getting the F* out of Dodge before The Lady comes.

And while the idea is intriguing of Khlyen telling the story either incorrectly or out of order as a way to sending a coded message to help against The Lady, I sure hope they aren't saying that most of the flashbacks in the first episode of this season were just false memories.  Doubtful, seeing as how it would take a great episode and render it pretty much meaningless.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 4

I can understand why they didn't want to have the team saddled with a baby for too long, but I'm equally concerned over how a teenager is going to turn out with this group as his caregivers!  Daddy D'Avin, Uncle Johnny, and Aunt Dutch mean well and will probably keep him alive, but shit does tend to follow them everywhere they go!

Enjoyed the Fancy/Gared pairing, although I should have known it would end with at least one of them in peril.  Poor Gared!  Hopefully nothing too bad happens to him.  Either way, these particular Hullen are so screwed once Pree gets his hands on them!

So, Khylen's story to Dutch actually has some lies sprinkled in it because he knew what The Lady was probably going to find some way to find out the story from Dutch.  Hmm...

Kravn was amusing, but Lucy continues to be the best damn A.I. in the game!

Pip finally gets taken over by that spider briefly.  Hopefully the gang will figure some way to get him back.

• Love 5

I'm not a Johnny/Dutch shipper which lets me enjoy the balancing act the show is doing in terms of the Johnny/Dutch/D;av relationships.  Johnny is Dutch's best friend and co-conspirator but D'av is her love interest. It's an interesting distinction.  (Also I'm wondering how the epigenetics work since Aneela is gay.)

I'm enjoying this season a lot.  The reveal that the story has clues in it to hide the truth from The Lady has got me really intrigued.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

So, The Lady can/wants to inhabit kids?  Wonder what the story is there.

We kind of know the story.  The Lady was searching for one particular kid, Aneela's.  To get him (or her) The Lady had her Hullen grabbing up all the kids within a certain age group - the age group that Aneela's kid would likely be in.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

(Also I'm wondering how the epigenetics work since Aneela is gay.)

We don't actually know that.  Aneela could easily be bi.  Also, being Hullen seems to activate a kind of "up for anything" bit, as witness Johnny flirting with D'Avin a couple of episodes back.  It could easily be that prior to being Hullenized by Khlyn, Aneela was straight or bi with a preference for men (which is probably what Dutch is).  Once she went Hullen, it opened her to new perferences (probably because the Hullen, being parasites/sybiotes, don't really care what the sex is of the bodies they inhabit.  That indifference carries through to the person they inhabit being open to sexual experience with anyone of either gender despite  other existing relationships - as with Johnny and D'Avin).

• Love 3

I'm okay with D/D as friends with benefits though I feel a little for D'av, as he obviously wants more. And if D/J are endgame, well... we aren't at the end yet.  

Any episode with Fancy is a good episode for me.  And Gared as the damsel in distress is so perfect. :-) 

I found the AI bio weapons thing more annoying than amusing but it was likely just my mood. 

• Love 3

I had massive problems with the sound and could hardly understand any dialogue - so I got distracted by other things. Like finally realizing who Gared reminds me of - a scruffier version of Chris Martin.

The rapidly aging baby was okay with me. It's a sci-fi trope I can live with because I'm a firm believer in the rule that babies tend to kill off shows. I loved the cheesy heist-plan montage and Turin and his new BFF. And I'm intrigued by the idea that Khlyen has hidden clues in the story.

I've never been able to join one ship or the other - maybe Dutch should consider polyandry? I would be okay with Dutch/D'avin as long as Johnnie's not left being the third wheel. But show had to go and kill off Pawter! Also: don't try to soften me up on DSK by claiming she was evil because of her Hullen-flu. She was a shitty human long before that.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I sure hope they aren't saying that most of the flashbacks in the first episode of this season were just false memories. 

I think they were saying that just little details were changed, not the whole story, like Dutch remembering some person being a woman, and Johnny remembers it being a guy. Most of it sounds like it happened, just maybe some little stuff changed that didnt make much of a difference except to them! As long as young Johnny's eye liner was 100% real!

I admit to being a die hard J/D shipper, but D/D do have decent chemistry. Not as much as D/J do though, and they have so much history, and gel so well, and are clearly each others Person. If thats in a platonic way or a romantic way...I guess we will have to see. I think that Dutch kind of considers D'avin to be a bit of a safe person to get sexy with, when she wants connection, but if she ever got really sexy with Johnny, it would be a huge emotional thing that would need to be dealt with. I think D'avin would probably LOVE for it to become more than physical and friendship (albeit very close friendship) but Dutch isnt there. Its a hard love triangle, because everyone involved clearly love each other, just some in different ways...probably. 

Maybe Dutch can pull a Big Borna and just marry both of them?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm not a Johnny/Dutch shipper which lets me enjoy the balancing act the show is doing in terms of the Johnny/Dutch/D;av relationships.  Johnny is Dutch's best friend and co-conspirator but D'av is her love interest. It's an interesting distinction.  (Also I'm wondering how the epigenetics work since Aneela is gay.)

I'm enjoying this season a lot. 

Exactly. One is her best friend/soulmate and the other is her love interest. I enjoy her relationship with each brother cause they bring out different sides in Dutch. The show has never blurred the line IMO in that Dutch loves John more than anyone but that she also is not in love with him and isn't interested seeking romantic/sexual love with him. I like the take on a soulmate being platonic. It doesn't make that it is platonic any less real or true. 

I really like all three leads. D'avin is just as important as Dutch and John & Luke MacFarlane kicks ass in the role so having so much interaction with all three in this ep made me happy.

This ep is my fave of the season, by far. I enjoyed all of it and had several laugh out loud moments while watching it, esp with the kidnapping planning set to old school caper music. Fancy with his bad people skills plus Gared and Pree and Zeph and Turin all having standout moments. Pip even had some standout moments. Lucy being cold with Johnny over Craven and Johnny trying to get back in to her good graces. Very entertaining. 

Looking forward to seeing what happens next with The Lady and Aneela/D'avin's son.

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think they were saying that just little details were changed, not the whole story, like Dutch remembering some person being a woman, and Johnny remembers it being a guy. Most of it sounds like it happened, just maybe some little stuff changed that didnt make much of a difference except to them! As long as young Johnny's eye liner was 100% real!

I admit to being a die hard J/D shipper, but D/D do have decent chemistry. Not as much as D/J do though, and they have so much history, and gel so well, and are clearly each others Person. If thats in a platonic way or a romantic way...I guess we will have to see. I think that Dutch kind of considers D'avin to be a bit of a safe person to get sexy with, when she wants connection, but if she ever got really sexy with Johnny, it would be a huge emotional thing that would need to be dealt with. I think D'avin would probably LOVE for it to become more than physical and friendship (albeit very close friendship) but Dutch isnt there. Its a hard love triangle, because everyone involved clearly love each other, just some in different ways...probably. 

Maybe Dutch can pull a Big Borna and just marry both of them?

I think that too, but sometimes expect the worst.

I guess I am just a 'traditionalist' when it comes to things like this.   The whole big ball of 'totes soulmates, but just as BFFs' & 'sexual fluidity with everyone but the person they have the most obvious chemistry with' stuff just doesn't vibe for me.  Its basically TheCW tropes for PLIs and/or triangles, but without all the angsty-hell-fest of a mess their shows always devolve into (thankfully!).

And if its the only way to get my D/J fix in there somewhere, I'll roll with that.   She was raised in a harem after all, so instead of being part of a collective, she'd be the Queen Wife with multiple husbands.  I mean, that's probably how the majority of The Quad & 'J' view the 3 main components of TAF anyways.

ETA:  If they hadn't tried forcing it back in S1, I might not be so against the D/D hookups now [/w potential for more actual romance at a later time].  jmo & pov

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 3
On 8/18/2018 at 4:39 AM, snowwhyte said:

Magic, fast aging sci fi baby! Not really a surprise after they made sure to mention how big it was in the womb last episode.

It made me turn off my DVR recording as soon as I saw the 5-year-old infant that multiplied in size without any food source it would have gotten the extra mass from. Sorry, but I've watched way too much sci-fi and fast-growing miracle babies get on my last nerve. I hope nothing unmissable happened later in the hour?

It’s never a good thing when a baby shows up. It certainly wasn’t here. No interest. The  constant comments from the characters, surprised again and again that the baby keeps doing the same thing, grated. 

Too much of being stuck and not enough actually happening. 

Some nice character moments though.