Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: People Like Us

• Start Topic

What an absolute mess this show has become. The characters are awful and thoroughly dislikable except for Morgan, John, and Al. Charlie is a little sociopath and murderer, Alicia an insufferable brat, June/Laura a selfish swine, etc etc etc. 

Isn’t there anyone on the writing staff who realizes that a continuing drama series requires characters that people care about?

They have totally written themselves into a corner and can’t get out.  

• Love 10
Just now, MrsRafaelBarba said:

So that happened, a whole lot of Nothing.

C'mon now, everyone's pensive or in Strand's case, drunk.  Plus we had death by logs and the awesomeness of zombies flying around in a storm.

And that's about it.

• Love 4

It was a whole episode of set up and build up, which is a little frustrating but not wholly unexpected as an opener.  There's a big storm coming so of course they're all randomly running out into it after a wayward child who won't stay in the bus, er, house.  It is this franchise, after all.

Strand playing the drunken diva was hilarious and actually more in character than he managed to be most of the first half season when he didn't have much to do except prop Madison over and over to make sure we felt bad when we learned she was already dead.  I'm kind of loving pairing him with a character as deadly earnest as John is if they're going to insist on throwing all these characters out into the storm. 

I'm here for flying zombies and whatever else they can dream up.

• Love 8

I'm all right with them taking the first episode to settle in with the new trajectory now that the Clark Family saga is over. (I'm assuming Alicia isn't going to get stuck in mommy worship.) I liked how the group never really became a group - more of a neighborhood, with the original relationships still in place. John and June aren't living in the mansion with the original three; Morgan and Al are still choosing to live separate from the others but nearby. That seems true to the characters.

I really, really, really wish that the show didn't burden everyone with Charlie, and by everyone I primarily mean us, the viewers. If they can turn her into an interesting, sympathetic character, then the writing staff deserve an Emmy. And a hell of a raise. I honestly don't see it happening, and it's just going to bring down every scene she's in.

I'm looking forward to the zombicane, but I'm not sure about splitting everyone up again. If it's done well, we could get some good character insights. If it's done poorly, it's just a season of people wandering around calling for each other. Based on nothing more than the fact that the episode ended with Morgan not running after Alicia, I'm going to be optimistic. Maybe.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Shriekingeel said:

What an absolute mess this show has become. The characters are awful and thoroughly dislikable except for Morgan, John, and Al. Charlie is a little sociopath and murderer, Alicia an insufferable brat, June/Laura a selfish swine, etc etc etc. 

I think June has low self esteem and carries around a lot of guilt still. She thinks if Dorie gets to know the 'real' her that he won't love her for who she really is. I felt kind of bad for her. 

2 hours ago, Crone said:

... June doesn’t really like John....

Sorry to be repetitive, but... I think she likes him, but she has such low self esteem she doesn't feel worthy of Dorie (or any decent guy) loving her. She thinks that Dorie fell in love with a false idea of who she is. 

Edited by DrNowsWeightScale
  • Love 6

So this is happening after Morgan has already been to Alexandria & met the Kingdom, etc? Can anyone point me to a timeline of both shows?  I thought TWD was years ahead, but now it seems they are relatively in the same period?  And how am I just now realizing that?  All this time I was thinking Morgan met up FTWD crew before he got together w Rick’s crew. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kroliosis said:

So this is happening after Morgan has already been to Alexandria & met the Kingdom, etc? Can anyone point me to a timeline of both shows?  I thought TWD was years ahead, but now it seems they are relatively in the same period?  And how am I just now realizing that?  All this time I was thinking Morgan met up FTWD crew before he got together w Rick’s crew. 

No ... they're both in the same time.  After the battle with the Saviors, Morgan started walking west and met up with Camp Dinner Bell 2. 

You have to suspend A LOT of disbelief on the FTWD timeline, mainly that enough time passed between the dam exploding and the baseball stadium (without much loss of life) to catch up to TWD timeline.

• Love 3

WOW, what a sad sad episode. Reminds me of lazy people just hanging doing nothing but feeling sorry for themselves. What will Strand do once he has drunk his way through the wine cellar? Made me fall asleep half way through the show. I watch Godzilla movies because they are so bad they are funny. This episode falls into the so bad it is funny category.

• Love 2

This episode has attracted a lot of unjust flack, I think Strand and Luciana’s attitude is entirely believable, they’ve been through so much, losing Madison and Nick, they’ve tried ‘communities’ which all ended in disaster. After going through so much, you must come to a point when you lose interest, think what is the point, experience the sort of depression and lethargy that these two are exhibiting. We know this is them at their lowest ebb and they will bounce back from this which will provide the fuel for the rest of the seasons adventures.

Alicia’s actions are surely understandable, brother and mother dying almost as one, how would any one of us behave in the same circumstances? Not enough thought is being put into understanding why the characters are behaving the way they are.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 9

I didn't mind the show spent its time setting the table for the back half of season 4.  Especially after watching Talking Dead with Hardwick.  Danay (Luciana) was asked to sum up the rest of season 4 in three words.  Her answer: "Storm. Walkers. Comedy".  If the show intends to devote several episodes to the ZombieNado and introduce a welcome (to me) element of humor, I'm in for that.  Bring on the flying zombies!

Drunken Strand in a black velvet smoking jacket and his line, "I used to be a millionaire", were the best things ever.  I loved Strand's sassy, worldly character in season 1, and despaired that it was entirely sacrificed in service to the show's misguided Madison worship.  Welcome back, Strand!   Strand and Dorie riding out the ZombieNado together is a fantastic pairing.  I hope the show keeps the two of them together for a while.

Charlie...look at the flowers soon please.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

This episode has attracted a lot of unjust flack, I think Strand and Luciana’s attitude is entirely believable, they’ve been through so much, losing Madison and Nick, they’ve tried ‘communities’ which all ended in disaster. After going through so much, you must come to a point when you lose interest, think what is the point, experience the sort of depression and lethargy that these two are exhibiting. We know this is them at their lowest ebb and they will bounce back from this which will provide the fuel for the rest of the seasons adventures.

Alicia’s actions are surely understandable, brother and mother dying almost as one, how would any one of us behave in the same circumstances? Not enough thought is being put into understanding why the characters are behaving the way they are.

I understand their despair. I'm shocked at their restraint. I might have killed Charlie girl the first chance I got. I know that doesn't sound like love, compassion, forgiveness, kindness. But, it is hard to follow those tenets in the za. 

4 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I didn't mind the show spent its time setting the table for the back half of season 4.  Especially after watching Talking Dead with Hardwick.  Danay (Luciana) was asked to sum up the rest of season 4 in three words.  Her answer: "Storm. Walkers. Comedy".  If the show intends to devote several episodes to the ZombieNado and introduce a welcome (to me) element of humor, I'm in for that.  Bring on the flying zombies!

Drunken Strand in a black velvet smoking jacket and his line, "I used to be a millionaire", were the best things ever.  I loved Strand's sassy, worldly character in season 1, and despaired that it was entirely sacrificed in service to the show's misguided Madison worship.  Welcome back, Strand!   Strand and Dorie riding out the ZombieNado together is a fantastic pairing.  I hope the show keeps the two of them together for a while.

Charlie...look at the flowers soon please.

I used to be a millionaire was my fav line from the show too.

• Love 4

:: grabs empty cereal box and cuts up/measures to make homemade Scrabble board::

I love John Dorie even more for this - double kudos that he did it in an attempt to bring that little brat out of her shell.

And I second that I want Charlie to be zombie chow.  Or....maybe have a run-in with Carol in a flower garden

I have a severe girl-crush on Al.

I have a severe urge to make suave-Strand switch teams.  Dang, that man can bring the debonair to despair

If Luciana and Alicia didn't have permanent resting bitch faces I 'may' have some empathy for what they're going through, though Alicia did score points with wanting to help a total stranger.

Yes, Morgan - head back to Alexandria, even though they all may not be there by the time you make it back (unless Al's SWAT tank race back before the time jump)

Are we going to just have to 'assume' Madison didn't survive the walkers converging upon her in the mid-season finale?

Are we going to find out how they came upon that mansion?

Did I just hope for flashbacks???!

• Love 4

Boring episode in which nothing interesting happened. I keep expecting FearTWD to improve to the good old days but that doesn't happen and now Morgan's sorta the leader? Smh.

There's no Madison, Nick or Troy so I guess I'm just gonna give up on this. After all, I'm not enjoying it at all. I'm still bitter Troy and Madison weren't made into a romantic couple.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

If Luciana and Alicia didn't have permanent resting bitch faces I 'may' have some empathy for what they're going through, though Alicia did score points with wanting to help a total stranger.

I've disliked the Alicia character since the show started trying to convince me that she was a total badass whose skintight pants never started stretching out through the grime and action of the zombie apocalypse, but her insistence on trying to help whoever was sending the notes might have started warming me back up to her.  

I’m shocked, shocked that I actually liked this. I liked seeing the aftermath of their battles, living separately with an understanding to coexist, but no kumbaya community.  I don’t see Morgan returning to VA unless the show runners are planning on merging the casts. Considering rumors, maybe that’s a possibility.

And who doesn’t enjoy a good zombicane?

• Love 3

So zombies can go airborne in a breeze that barely blows the leaves? And this wind is 100 miles per hour, and yet the trees hardly move, and the rain falls straight down? Have these writers ever even seen wind? 

• Love 4

CLOSE THE DAMN DOOR!  Why none of these people have any survival sense astounds me.  Keep the doors shut and locked at all times!  I would absolutely be in that mansion with Strand and Luciana.  The others are just dumb.  Loved drunk Strand.  I'd be drunk too.  I would not be running after that feral Charlie in a hurricane.  Let the zombies eat her. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

CLOSE THE DAMN DOOR!  Why none of these people have any survival sense astounds me.  Keep the doors shut and locked at all times!  I would absolutely be in that mansion with Strand and Luciana.  The others are just dumb.  Loved drunk Strand.  I'd be drunk too.  I would not be running after that feral Charlie in a hurricane.  Let the zombies eat her. 

Realism, logic and a sense of safety have all been thrown out the window. I actually really liked the first two seasons of FearTWD but after that it just got worse and worse.

Maybe someday there'll be a zombie show where its characters will give it a realistic feel to it and not just do stupid shit and kill off important characters for no good reason.

• Love 1

They really wanted us to believe Lucinda didn't detect any of that ruckus behind her just because she was listening to an LP. At least when Alicia was being stupid in the early seasons, she was wearing headphones where the sound isolation would be more believable.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

They really wanted us to believe Lucinda didn't detect any of that ruckus behind her just because she was listening to an LP. At least when Alicia was being stupid in the early seasons, she was wearing headphones where the sound isolation would be more believable.

Still, that was pretty funny.  She was more than a zombie herself...not hearing the violent clash behind her as Strand bashes the zombie to bits. And wasting a perfectly GOOD bottle of wine.  Luciana sucks.

• Love 2
On 8/12/2018 at 10:13 PM, Shriekingeel said:

Isn’t there anyone on the writing staff who realizes that a continuing drama series requires characters that people care about?

They have totally written themselves into a corner and can’t get out.  

June thinks John "fell in love" Laura, and she's "not Laura" and now she's worried that he wont like June?

Wow; trite crap writing that doesnt make any sense, because we as viewers have only seen Dharma play exactly one persona, the only one she has in her bag of acting tricks, and Secondly...it (amazingly) sounds as if she's saying that Laura was such an alluring personality and thats why he "fell in love" with her. And! That she , as herself, has an even worse personality as Laura. I dont think that's possible!   Morgan needs to knock  John out and kidnap him away from this narcissistic asshole, Naomi Laura June.

I love Coleman Domingo. That is the ONLY reason i will peep this show, whenever.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:14 PM, raven said:

C'mon now, everyone's pensive or in Strand's case, drunk.  Plus we had death by logs and the awesomeness of zombies flying around in a storm.

And that's about it.

i did like the hurricane zombies flying about. Also that a load of logs took out a bunch of them in one drop. Because there were too many of them. And im sck of seeing the same people playing the zombies, especially tha ginger with the big square head.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:25 PM, nodorothyparker said:

It was a whole episode of set up and build up, which is a little frustrating but not wholly unexpected as an opener.  There's a big storm coming so of course they're all randomly running out into it after a wayward child who won't stay in the bus, er, house.  It is this franchise, after all.

Strand playing the drunken diva was hilarious and actually more in character than he managed to be most of the first half season when he didn't have much to do except prop Madison over and over to make sure we felt bad when we learned she was already dead.  I'm kind of loving pairing him with a character as deadly earnest as John is if they're going to insist on throwing all these characters out into the storm. 

I'm here for flying zombies and whatever else they can dream up.

That little turd even looks uncannily like Carl.  This character is a complete turd. John's nice to her and all she can do is stare at him and , of course, run away? Ungrateful turd. I was glad when Lucy ran after her to kick her ass, and even more glad when she shut the door on her.

But then she finds that the turd returned the library book to her, and now all is forgiven? Wat?? What is this shit writing??

And of course flipfloppity Morgan has to go half across the continent to 'tell his friiiend he was right.' I mean honestly, the only thing I could ever muster up to say to any of these writers and creators of this crapfest is, 'Are you for real, bitch?"

On 8/12/2018 at 10:19 PM, Crone said:

Morgan might go back to Virginia and June doesn’t really like John. And big storm. Other than that, did the plot advance?

I thought June was going to come out as gay in that awkward moment between her and Maggie Grace.

• Love 1