Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Ripe

41 minutes ago, bioprof said:

So if Adora knew this about Ann Nash, does that put Adora as #1 suspect since she knew something Ann did the night before she was murdered???

Didn‘t she cut her hair before taking school pictures or something and not the night before she was murdered?

26 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

I thought she found a screw holding the toilet seat to the toilet, and just thrashed her arms. Anyone?

It was definitely a screw.

• Love 2

Didn‘t she cut her hair before taking school pictures or something and not the night before she was murdered?

I totally might have remembered the timing wrong and it's entirely possible that it wasn't right before she died. I definitely think that's who Adora was referencing, though, and that Camille picked up on the connection to Ann.

From what Adora told us about young Camille, it looks like she had much in common with the dead girls.

Are the murdered girls and Amma the same age? I thought they were a couple years younger.

21 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In the episode where she’s wearing her cheerleading uniform (I think it was S1.E3), Camille pointedly says, “I thought school was out for the summer,” and she says it is but she just felt like wearing it. To me, that made it sound like she’s still in high school (as opposed to an alumnae) but I could be misinterpreting. 

ETA: Ashley also told Camille that thet they learned about self medicating in health class. The way she said it made me think she was still in school but I guess she could have meant several years ago.  I just assumed she was still in high school for multiple reasons (like that John is livIng in her parents’ carriage house, as opposed to with Ashley in an apartment or house of their own).

I definitely got the impression that they were both still in high school.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2018 at 1:24 AM, ferjy said:

I guess people are getting used to venues like Netflix. Shows used to always be weekly viewing. Personally I like the anticipation of waiting the week (and I really don’t have time to watch all the episodes at once) then chatting about each episode. Look how many posts we put up here for one episode. Can you imagine if all of them were shown at once. It would be mayhem on the forum!

The pace and the small-town-mystery aspect remind me a bit of Twin Peaks back in the 90s.  The image of Laura Palmer's blue body in the plastic bag still haunts me!  This time, it's young girls with their mouths all bloody because their teeth have been pulled.  Eeek.

• Love 3

Thank you! That explains why Camille was looking at the toilet seat on the last episode. Another source for sharp objects. To cut herself or to kill herself?

I don't think she wants to kill herself; if she did, she'd be dead, I think. If she cuts to "feel" or to heal and/or punish herself, that would indicate to me that she wants to be alive, albeit not in her current state of existence, which is, to say the least, pained and grim. Plus, she appeared to have checked herself into the hospital, which says to me that she knows she needs help in order to stay alive.

In a previous episode, Ann Nash's dad told Camille about how she (Ann) chopped her hair off - the night before she died, if memory serves - because she refused to put her hair in rollers like her mom wanted her to. It was an example of how willful Ann was, or some such descriptor.

This is interesting because, aside from all this, Camille's hair at some point was cut off--she had long hair in her cheerleading-outfit flashback and super-short hair after that. Whether that was just a change in style (not likely) or a response to some event or another, I don't know.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 11
On 8/1/2018 at 8:24 AM, ferjy said:

I guess people are getting used to venues like Netflix. Shows used to always be weekly viewing. Personally I like the anticipation of waiting the week (and I really don’t have time to watch all the episodes at once) then chatting about each episode. Look how many posts we put up here for one episode. Can you imagine if all of them were shown at once. It would be mayhem on the forum!

While I totally understand wanting to find out who the killer is, I'm totally fine with having one episode per week. I agree that Netflix has changed people's attitudes/expectations about getting all the episodes at once so they can binge an entire season in one weekend. With really intense shows, I prefer having weekly episodes because I can't imagine watching all of, say, The Handmaid's Tale in one sitting. And as you pointed out, having the episodes spaced out provides more discussion. With shows that are released at once, people tend to discuss the individual episodes a lot less and then there's usually a ton of discussion about the entire season in the episode thread for the season finale.

4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This is interesting because, aside from all this, Camille's hair at some point was cut off--she had long hair in her cheerleading-outfit flashback and super-short hair after that. Whether that was just a change in style (not likely) or a response to some event or another, I don't know.

As cliche as it is, girls often cut or change their hair dramatically short after troubling situations (it's pretty common for women to cut their hair short or color it after a break up) so I assumed that Camille cut her hair after Marian died or after the incident with the football team, but it could have been something else. I mean, she had to deal with Adora every damn day so maybe one day she just got fed up and chopped her hair off as a way of rebelling (I can totally imagine Adora being the kind of mom who tells her daughters, "Boys like long hair so never cut your hair too short").

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While I totally understand wanting to find out who the killer is, I'm totally fine with having one episode per week. I agree that Netflix has changed people's attitudes/expectations about getting all the episodes at once so they can binge an entire season in one weekend. With really intense shows, I prefer having weekly episodes because I can't imagine watching all of, say, The Handmaid's Tale in one sitting. And as you pointed out, having the episodes spaced out provides more discussion. With shows that are released at once, people tend to discuss the individual episodes a lot less and then there's usually a ton of discussion about the entire season in the episode thread for the season finale.

I agree.  I'm watching the latest season of Orange Is the New Black and I can't remember shit.  It's hard to watch it all at the same time and then an entire year goes by.  (And if you are me you have watched 30 other shows in between then)  Plus I like the anticipation of waiting a week. 

• Love 5

Camille’s short hair came first, as seen in her scenes with Marion and right after she died. Her hair is longer and she’s wearing the cheerleader uniform when she’s older. 

I guess that works; somehow she seemed older to me in the short-hair scenes (though, yeah, in the short-hair scenes she did not give me the vibe of someone who'd even be a cheerleader at all, so maybe an attempt to win Adora's approval via becoming a traditional girly girl).

Also, though, that seems like some fast-growing hair!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I've realized that this show reminds me a lot of Top of the Lake - beautifully filmed, lots of weird characters, an official murder plot that takes the back seat to character exploration, etc. 

(I'm not sure if it's good news for people for whom the destination matters as much of or more than the journey. Writing this as someone with no idea where we're going - i.e. not spoiled)

• Love 3

I guess that works; somehow she seemed older to me in the short-hair scenes 

That opening sequence (which unfortunately is also a dream sequence) is probably the happiest we'll ever see Camille. I'm hoping the show will reveal a little bit more of how she survived her childhood and her cutting. She clearly managed to get a job as a reporter which probably means college or some schooling. She has an apartment. Her boss seems to like her a lot (in a kind way, not a gross way). Some things went right for her to manage all of that. I know she comes from money, but I don't get the impression her life in St. Louis is being funded by her mother. I'm probably expecting too much realism in a gothic horror show, but Amy Adams somehow hints at that backstory.

I really liked her relaxed chemistry with John at the end of this episode too. I'm just not feeling Messina. I want to, but he just seems kind of useless. Just someone for her to talk to so we can get more backstory about the town. The sex scene is just striking me as weirder and weirder in terms of him as a character. It makes sense for her, but why would he agree? Right there? By that gross hunting hut where he suspects something bad may have happen to Camille? He just doesn't make sense to me.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:12 AM, NutMeg said:

I've realized that this show reminds me a lot of Top of the Lake - beautifully filmed, lots of weird characters, an official murder plot that takes the back seat to character exploration, etc. 

Holly Hunter might have been an interesting choice for Adora too. Although she's just innately more ballsy and in your face, not quietly cruel like Patricia Clarkson. And honestly, I kind of long for her Top of the Lake character to be on THIS show. Sharp Objects could use a sharp eyed outsider who doesn't pull punches. Imagine her in the Chris Messina role, eyeballing this town.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I really liked her relaxed chemistry with John at the end of this episode too. I'm just not feeling Messina. I want to, but he just seems kind of useless. Just someone for her to talk to so we can get more backstory about the town. The sex scene is just striking me as weirder and weirder in terms of him as a character. It makes sense for her, but why would he agree? Right there? By that gross hunting hut where he suspects something bad may have happen to Camille? He just doesn't make sense to me.

Holly Hunter might have been an interesting choice for Adora too. Although she's just innately more ballsy and in your face, not quietly cruel like Patricia Clarkson. And honestly, I kind of long for her Top of the Lake character to be on THIS show. Sharp Objects could use a sharp eyed outsider who doesn't pull punches. Imagine her in the Chris Messina role, eyeballing this town.

I actually thought that Jackson Hurst was going to play the detective, instead of Mr Lacey.

Also, Marcia Cross could have played Adora.  She plays the icy, cold, calculating part well.  I see Adora as a poison that kills you very slowly over a long period of time like tiny amounts of arsenic or asbestos, so you're suffering that whole time.  Even when the poisoning stops, you go on suffering from the permanent damage caused by the poison. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I'm just not feeling Messina. I want to, but he just seems kind of useless. Just someone for her to talk to so we can get more backstory about the town.

I don't get his character.  What kind of cop is he supposed to be?  FBI?  Why is he the only FBI agent working on catching a serial murderer?  Why is he always sitting around instead of talking to forensics experts to see about evidence on the bodies or bringing in people for questioning?  I get it that people won't want to talk with him, but he should at least be TRYING to bring people into the sherriff's office and asking questions about who was where on the night/week in question?  Where is his computer where he can look up all these fools?  He is acting more like an out-of-town reporter than an FBI agent.  His reports to his FBI management will all read:  Sat around my motel room.  Sat in the bar until Camille showed up.  No one will talk to me, so there are no statements from the murder victim's family, friends, or community regarding the victim's activities in the weeks leading up to her murder.  Drank in the bar again....

• Love 6

I think either he or the chief, maybe both, said that he's with the Kansas City PD sent over because this is not the type of crime that the small town PD is used to dealing with. As for your other questions, basically, who knows. Although I do believe that the focus here is not the murders but the effects they, the town and Camille's batshit family have on Camille. 

• Love 5
On 8/3/2018 at 1:33 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As cliche as it is, girls often cut or change their hair dramatically short after troubling situations (it's pretty common for women to cut their hair short or color it after a break up) so I assumed that Camille cut her hair after Marian died or after the incident with the football team, but it could have been something else. I mean, she had to deal with Adora every damn day so maybe one day she just got fed up and chopped her hair off as a way of rebelling (I can totally imagine Adora being the kind of mom who tells her daughters, "Boys like long hair so never cut your hair too short").

What confused me, though, is the cutting the hair after the mom tried to put curlers in it. That's the same story as Ann Nash. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, love2lovebadtv said:

What confused me, though, is the cutting the hair after the mom tried to put curlers in it. That's the same story as Ann Nash. 

That’s Adora appropriating Bob Nash’s story about his daughter. I don’t think it ever happened with Camille. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, bijoux said:

That’s Adora appropriating Bob Nash’s story about his daughter. I don’t think it ever happened with Camille. 

Camille said it didn't and recalled the story from Bob Nash. I wonder why adora would say it was Camille. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Camille said it didn't and recalled the story from Bob Nash. I wonder why adora would say it was Camille. 

Because everything has to be about Adora. 

• Love 6

What's up with the last scene in this episode with Alan entering the room and it looked like he was about to rape Adora and then nothing mentioned in the next episode?

I was so confused by it.

And omg I heart Jackie so much hahaha

Yeah, four episodes in and I feel like so little has been revealed. Yes, we are getting snippets through Camille's interwoven memories being played out onscreen, but I get the feeling that any important questions are being held for the finale, which is...rough. I can't find myself binge watching the entire eight episodes in one sitting, not because I need to fully absorb the information but because this show is moving so goddamn slow and I find it hard to fully pay attention sometimes. 

I like the theories being thrown out about the Crellin family. I can see each of the theories being right, and since I am way behind and the season has already aired, I shall see what happens sooner rather than later. 

Richard is such a passive character. He's one of the few who cares about what happened to the two girls, but his scenes with Camille are so passive, as if he doesn't really care. There's such a disconnect between what he says and what he does. His sex scene with Camille reflected worse on him. He sees her drinking constantly and then he has a suspicion about her traumatic childhood and he...agrees to have a weird sex scene by the shed? His character makes little sense to me.

I did note John's girlfriend (Ashley?) cleaning up after she tried to sleep with him. There was definitely a blood stain on the ground but I don't know whether the blood was from him or her. For a while, it did seem like John was just devastated over his sister's murder, but now it feels like they're intentionally making him a suspect. 

So, after three and a half episodes, we finally hear from Alan but now it makes me suspicious of him, especially with the weird cut at the end. 

It does seem like Camille had short hair first and then, after Marian's death, she grew her hair out intentionally. Speaking of Marian, I guess I didn't think that Alan would be Marian's father. I don't know whether I missed a blatant scene or whether the show was intentionally trying to withhold that fact until now. This show likes to show a little but then tease it for several episodes. 

Camille may be worried about Amma being in danger, but I wonder if Amma's supposed to be more dangerous than Camille. With all of Adora's talk about Camille being dangerous, it seems like Amma is being underestimated.