Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Here Comes a Stranger/I Don't Even Know His Name

• Start Topic

On 7/11/2018 at 11:58 AM, mlc358 said:

The pastor said that over 43,000 people applied to be matched. 

Is it just me or do you question how these six were the best possible matches out of 43K people?

I was just thinking the same thing!  What kind of experts are they???  I think they could draw straws and come up with better matches!

• Love 7
(edited)

I literally LOLed at Amber's "concern" that her husband's first thought when he saw her, might be that she's too high maintenance.  Not that he might not find her unattractive, or be taken aback her crazy, fake fried hair, or troweled-on makeup, but he might instead fear that someone that amazing looking would surely take far too much time and money to have achieved such perfection.

Bobby definitely gives off a creeper vibe of sorts.  He has this strange sort of shifty eyed thing going--maybe it's just nervousness, but it doesn't make a great impression.    His whole creepy "I want to explore you" speech in the post-wedding champagne ditch was just...eek--way too much of a fava beans and a nice chianti vibe to sound sweet or romantic.  

Edited by reallyjustjen
  • Love 7
On 7/14/2018 at 12:03 PM, Gem 10 said:

Just LOVE your Bette Davis pic.  Is that her?  That hat !

Screenshot_20180717-115233.thumb.png.d5010f33925fbdeb0b4ad4555efbfbe6.png

YASSSS!!!! Honey!!! *snap-snap-snap!* This hat gives me my entire Life. I just love the delicate curve in the front & the way it frames her big, beautiful eyes... ???

• Love 5
On 7/10/2018 at 11:02 PM, LilaFowler said:

Tristan/Mia: I was extremely put off when he told the experts that he didn't want a woman who was darker than he is. So he's on my shit list and it's unlikely that he'll ever get off of it. Mia is out of his league.

I'm watching this show now, when did he say that? 

But Tristan does look like Jay-Z.

Amber looks more in her forties than in her thirties.

There's always one thing that always bugs me about this show.  Why do all of these people have problems with relationships?  No expert has ever asked that.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I'm watching this show now, when did he say that? 

But Tristan does look like Jay-Z.

Amber looks more in her forties than in her thirties.

There's always one thing that always bugs me about this show.  Why do all of these people have problems with relationships?  No expert has ever asked that.

He said it on the matchmaking special that airs before the first episode.

• Love 4

If you are watching the Matchmaking episode On Demand  is at the 18 min45 second mark...Tristan is wearing a chambray blue shirt...

After telling Pastor Cal his skin color preference Tristan says "you have to be with someone who melts your butter."

• Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

He said it on the matchmaking special that airs before the first episode.

Thank you.  I just watched it and yes, that's what he said, he doesn't want a woman darker than he. 

I don't know how I feel about that.  See, a lot of men feel that way, like the white guy right before him who said he preferred a white woman, but they dare not verbalize it.  I don't know if that's better.   

I remember Monet and Vaughn in season 1.  Vaughn said his ideal woman was Paula Patton/Halle Berry, yet they paired him with a woman who was darker.  To me, he was expressing the same thing Tristan said, only he didn't say it outright.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Thank you.  I just watched it and yes, that's what he said, he doesn't want a woman darker than he. 

I don't know how I feel about that.  See, a lot of men feel that way, like the white guy right before him who said he preferred a white woman, but they dare not verbalize it.  I don't know if that's better.   

I remember Monet and Vaughn in season 1.  Vaughn said his ideal woman was Paula Patton/Halle Berry, yet they paired him with a woman who was darker.  To me, he was expressing the same thing Tristan said, only he didn't say it outright.

People can't help their preferences but this specific issue is a very sensitive one in that community. I would have preferred that the show pick a different couple to participate.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

People can't help their preferences but this specific issue is a very sensitive one in that community. I would have preferred that the show pick a different couple to participate.

Well, they probably shouldn't have picked him. 

Colorism is a sensitive issue in a lot of communities:  Black, Hispanic, South Asian...the list goes on.

• Love 6
On 7/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, 2727 said:

I'm wondering if Danielle's references to wanting "Southern values" is code for "I'm a Republican" and that's what caused the rift with her parents.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of us who are Southern liberals, lol. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, rebel2u said:

Yes, but as someone who lives in a blue area of North Carolina, where if I drive 30 miles down I-40, I am out where they marry their sisters, it is clear to me that "Southern Values" is not about toppling Confederate statues, drum circles, yoga, kale, and vegan gluten-free pizza the way it is in the area where I live.  I suspect that Danielle has a very specific image in mind of "southern values", and it not about being Duck Dynasty, but about a "southern gentility" that required the ownership of other human beings in order to happen.  I suspect hers is about women staying home and having teas and mint juleps with their friends while wearing gauzy dresses and white hats, having men tip their hats to them, and so on -- an image of "Gone With the Wind" -- before the war starts.

• Love 5
On 7/10/2018 at 8:28 PM, PityFree said:

Bobby has about three years left with his hair, so that’s why I think he signed up for this show. He’s locking down a wife before he goes bald.

ETA:  And Danielle started talking about starting a family while she was picking out a dress,  so there goes the reason for Bobby’s dealbreaker right out the window!  Bad job, experts!

I see nothing wrong with this. These are probably the reasons *why they got MAFS. Danielle hears her baby clock going, "tick, tick, tick". That's a "red flag" for most guys when they're dating... but these people are married!!  They chose to make a life, and a family, with the stranger that's selected for them, rather than continuing to participate in the dating lottery.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

I see nothing wrong with this. These are probably the reasons *why they got MAFS. Danielle hears her baby clock going, "tick, tick, tick". That's a "red flag" for most guys when they're dating... but these people are married!!  They chose to make a life, and a family, with the stranger that's selected for them, rather than continuing to participate in the dating lottery.

Except that Bobby specifically requested that he be matched with someone younger than he was because he did not want to be  matched with a woman whose baby clock was ticking loudly. When the experts phoned him to ask if it was OK to match him with Danielle who is three years older than he is, he said it would be OK as long as  she didn’t want to have a baby right away.  Danielle told the experts that she was not  anxious to have a baby immediately, but then she started talking about babies while dress shopping. That’s a problem.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, PityFree said:

Except that Bobby specifically requested that he be matched with someone younger than he was because he did not want to be  matched with a woman whose baby clock was ticking loudly. When the experts phoned him to ask if it was OK to match him with Danielle who is three years older than he is, he said it would be OK as long as  she didn’t want to have a baby right away.  Danielle told the experts that she was not  anxious to have a baby immediately, but then she started talking about babies while dress shopping. That’s a problem.

Good point. But that's a case where the 'experts' are largely responsible for the drama that will take place.

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:
16 hours ago, rebel2u said:

Yes, but as someone who lives in a blue area of North Carolina, where if I drive 30 miles down I-40, I am out where they marry their sisters, it is clear to me that "Southern Values" is not about toppling Confederate statues, drum circles, yoga, kale, and vegan gluten-free pizza the way it is in the area where I live.  I suspect that Danielle has a very specific image in mind of "southern values", and it not about being Duck Dynasty, but about a "southern gentility" that required the ownership of other human beings in order to happen.  I suspect hers is about women staying home and having teas and mint juleps with their friends while wearing gauzy dresses and white hats, having men tip their hats to them, and so on -- an image of "Gone With the Wind" -- before the war starts.

Yep, I too live in a blue area of North Carolina, drive I-40 regularly and have NC roots that go back way before the Civil War.  Don't know anybody that's married their sister and I can think of 2 cities (Chapel Hill and Asheville) that have sort of New Age-y values but most people I know are into ACC sports and barbecue.  

Kind of a broad generalization of what Danielle considers "southern gentility."  Maybe she just wants the Southern hospitality we're known for.

Sorry for the tirade--just had to represent!

Edited by rebel2u
before not past
  • Love 6
On 7/17/2018 at 12:08 PM, NowVoyager said:

Screenshot_20180717-115233.thumb.png.d5010f33925fbdeb0b4ad4555efbfbe6.png

YASSSS!!!! Honey!!! *snap-snap-snap!* This hat gives me my entire Life. I just love the delicate curve in the front & the way it frames her big, beautiful eyes... ???

I just knew it.  LOVE it, thank you.  I watch all her movies on TCM, especially on her birthday.  How about the one where she goes to the ball in the BLACK gown, when everyone else is wearing WHITE.  I’m dying to know the name of the waltz she was dancing to ??????  Do you remember the name of that movie?  You can answer me personally.

• Love 1
On 7/15/2018 at 1:27 PM, Jeanne222 said:

What kind of experts are they???  I think they could draw straws and come up with better matches!

For sure!  I mean, Amber desperately wants babies, and Bobby does too. I'm thinking Amber would probably be just fine with the 'housewife' thing while their kids are small, if Bobby could afford to support all of them. Why weren't *those* two paired, instead of the other way around??!

1 hour ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

For sure!  I mean, Amber desperately wants babies, and Bobby does too. I'm thinking Amber would probably be just fine with the 'housewife' thing while their kids are small, if Bobby could afford to support all of them. Why weren't *those* two paired, instead of the other way around??!

That's a pretty big age difference, even for this show. I think Amber is over 35, Bobby is around 26 & wanted a younger woman. As it is they had him 'approve' Danielle being 30, I think she is... and Amber seems like she would scare the shit out of Bobby.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

That's a pretty big age difference, even for this show. I think Amber is over 35, Bobby is around 26 & wanted a younger woman. As it is they had him 'approve' Danielle being 30, I think she is... and Amber seems like she would scare the shit out of Bobby.

Bobby wouldn’t know what to do if Amber put it on him! He would lose his mind after being with a grown ass woman who is confident in her body and sexuality. She would have him whipped on the honeymoon. He is going to be in trouble when Danielle pops it on him so you know Amber would have him so twisted he would be the stay at home parent if she said to.

• Love 1