Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Strong Enough to Bend

Scarlett tries to help Sean, but he doubts her motives; Deacon deals with forgiveness and a new family dynamic; feeling out of depth on "Nashville's Next," Daphne finds help in judge De Witt.

Our long nightmare shall all be over.  

I liked Deacon's AA meeting scene and I could relate to him being in a place where he can't get over his anger and skepticism to not see everything his father does as an affront.  

I like Daph coming out of her shell and she is one of the characters I still like, but her songs all sound the same to me now.  

I like Juliette and she does seem calmer.  I like that she's just trying to keep the lines of communication open, that she's not going all drama queen.  She accepts that Avery has a reason to be at the place that he's at.   And I'm actually cool with Avery being in that place... but not if he's just trading in Juliette Drama for Purple Hair Drama because Purple Hair is at least as much drama as Juliette and the chemistry isn't nearly as good.   

I could care less about Alannah. I didn't mind Haley and the church last season (it was boring but all things Juliette are better than all things Scarlett and Maddie... etc.) but I'd have much preferred her talking to Deacon about her troubles... and really they have some parallels because Avery is at a shut down point with Jules the way that Deacon is with his dad.  It could work.  But no... we have to have newish characters in every scene or it just wouldn't be latter day Nashville.   

I miss Will.  

• Love 8

Hey.. this show used to be fun a long time ago right? Now it’s all about strange cults and abusive dads who are now sick and random depressed veteran singers whose names I don’t care to remember, and some stupid guy named Brad and a girl with purple hair.

Ugh. All of this. 

I tried so hard to watch this whole episode but I could not. I really did only watch Juliette scenes after the first scene after.

First off.. Avery and purple hair were hooking up while Cadaence was in the next room? The hell is that?  But I care about none of this either.

Also I did watch the Jessie and Deacon supermarket scene.. I mean.. I don’t know. At this point the series is going to end with them together so what the hell are we doing here? God damn.. I hate the scenic route we have to take just to end this show.

I love Juliette saying “I’m going to free everyone else from the cult..” uh, good luck with that and maybe she should watch some cult documentaries that are out there. Also another damn... is she going to

Hold onto this pregnancy reveal as long as she did the last time? Because she really didn’t reveal that for a long time too. I need a drink with all these terribly horrible no good bad things they are recreating from seasons past.

I did a hard laugh when Avery made a speech about how he can’t do this anymore and I thought “like how I can’t really watch this show anymore? Because I can’t! It’s so hard now!” It was very meta and I laughed and had fun. And then I realized why and I got sad again.

At this point I started to watch without fast forwarding because my hand was tired. It was painful. 

At least Deacons AA speech was depressing but not as bad as that one he did when Maddie was divorcing him and Rayna and he crapped all over everyone else’s AAs moment. He was pretty clam and collected. 

Also I don’t know how I feel about this Deacons Dad thing. I mean.. ugh. They did this thing on The PC with Ryan’s Dad(who came back into the picture, actually lied about being sick and then somehow ended up with another main character in a romantic relationship with Ryan just being all cool with him, despite us hearing in seasons past that he was pretty awful

And abusive, but whatever). I just.. it’s things like this that leave me feeling unfulfilled, we don’t have enough time left in the series to dive deep to fix this relationship so it’ll be all wrapped up in a bow by series end. And I’m not into it.

Omg you guys Glen is back next week!!!!!! Yes!!!!

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh y'all, this episode gives me hope that all will end well.

Deacon at the AA meeting was priceless...I've been waiting for a scene like that for over a year. I think to not even show him at a meeting after Rayna died was really misguided. That's when he would have needed support the most. So, I'm glad to see him back at AA. I even teared up when he put his hand on his dad's back at the end. But the preview shows more fighting so...

Julliette's response surprised me, but maybe it shows some growth. I am tired of her "I'd take it all back if I could" line though. How many times have we heard that? Good for Avery for being strong, though I wouldn't have left my child  alone with her. I love Juliette, but she doesn't get to just waltz back in like nothing ever happened. And I am so excited that Glenn will be back!

I actually liked Alannah last night. I hope she steps aside for Javery to commence. And I believe she will take down Brad. 

I never really rooted for Jessie and Deacon until the scene last night. If she can get past her drama and Brad goes away, I think they can make a go of it. I truly want to see Deacon happy at the end. And not just scrubbing pots in the kitchen. 

I loved Sean telling Scarlett off. 

Kudos to Daphne. And I totally laughed when she flounced into the car and Maddie was like, "What's your problem?"

This episode had shades of the old Nashville. No Gunnar or Will though.

Edited by deacondahling
  • Love 3

I understand it's awkward, but Avery should've either stayed or taken Cadence with him.  Juliette just shows up and he trusts her to be Cadence's custodial parent?  I hate the instant favoritism of mother over father, especially considering legally Juliette's parental rights were terminated as part of their divorce.  Do the new writers realize that?  Do they care?  Also, they're not married anymore, I'm sick of the Nashville CMT twitter feed telling me they are when they're not.  

Also, as others have said, your show is ending, I know you started stories in the first half and didn't know you were being cancelled, but newbies before regulars is never a good look.  As per usual, Avery is shunted to the side for not only Juliette, but his purple hair quasi-girlfriend?  She has a more substantial story than he does with this Brad story?  He's always on the side of things despite being one of the better actors on the show.  It's exhausting and I'm FFing almost everything.  

• Love 4

Everything that Deacon's dad is doing strikes me as manipulative.  Always being on the kids side of things during discussions, heading off to his room muttering about 'having no fun' after the girls walk in during the argument, but the calling Deacon "son" all the time would get you kicked out at my house.  If half of what Deacon remembers, actually happened, dear old dad doesn't get to come looking for family to stick by him now that's he old.  Calling Deacon "son", is patronizing and reminding him constantly of a relationship that brought Deacon nothing but pain.  I wish they would deal upfront with this issue.  The first time his dad disputed what Deacon remembers as their home life, Deacon should have challenged him as to who was doing all the abuse if it wasn't you?  He should have never invited him into the house to start with... but when he acts like nothing abusive happened at all, he should be gone.

I can understand Juliette not telling Avery right away that she's pregnant.  That conversation is going to take awkward to a whole new level. I wonder if she remembers what she said to him when Avery went to the cult place to convince her to come home.  At the time she acted as if she were drugged.

The Deacon/Jessie conversation was cute. I like when they show people having really intense emotional moments in public places.

• Love 6

YoSo these writers never watched pre CMT Nashville right. Nothing that is happening makes any sense. Mostly this shows inability to give the main characters a storyline. 

Remember when Juliette was a very famous country singer? This show sure doesn't. 

Remember Will? He has only been on about 10 minutes total in the last 5??? episodes. One would think him using steroids and having a heart attach would give him a front burner story. Wrong. No will for us. 

Does anyone even work for Highway 65 anymore. Weren't all are main characters on the label. Maddie sued her parents to get a record deal, almost bankrupted her mother's final dream because she didn't want to ruin her song about a waterfall, monsoon, hurricane or whatever for s commercial. But now all she wants to do is follow her cheater boyfriend around. Doesn't she have an album to finish or promote or something. Gunner and Will her playing at bars and fairs but don't they both have record deals that they seem to never work on. If Deacon did show up to sit in his office I would forget it's a thing.

The actress who plays Daphne has what it takes to grow up into a gorgeous woman if she does the exact opposite of everything her sister did. 

Glad they had Juliette grow up and take responsibility of her actions but I also feel like that happens every season until they regress her. God thing this is the last season.

If I didn't know this was the final season I wouldnt believe there are 3 episodes left. They aren't wrapping anything up. 

When purple hair was saying she was going to take care of Brad I really thought she was implying she was going to kill him. Most be wishful thinking on my part. 

I'm glad Deacon went back to AA meetings but I hope he doesn't forgive his dad. Sure people forgave Deacon for his shit but he apologized and realized he had a problem. His dad is acting like Deacon has an over active imagination and none of this stuff happened. Even Scarlett said her mother never had a nice thing to say about him.

• Love 6

Gideon: "Your dad raised two wonderful daughters."

Me: WHAT? Why do the writers insist on insulting our intelligence? Deacon didn't "raise" either of them!

• Love 19
49 minutes ago, J-Man said:

Me: WHAT? Why do the writers insist on insulting our intelligence? Deacon didn't "raise" either of them!

That really bugged me!!! So much!!! no comment about Rayna - no comment about Teddy. just ugh. 

• Love 15

I could just follow Deacon around at this point, and be pretty happy. His scene at AA was really moving, and I actually like the stuff with his dad. I really dont know where Gideon is going with all of this. Sometimes it seems like he really is trying to make amends, but his constant refrain of "you dont remember what really happened!" seems like he wants something, or is at least trying to downplay his abuse of his family. I also mostly liked the Daphne stuff. I still like her, and her plot still actually involves country music and the industry. 

Juliette is back, thank God, and seems to be her old self again, but I am very curious as to why AVERY has to move out, and is leaving Cadence. Yeah Juliette is normal for now, but who knows how long that'll last? I loved Juliette and Avery for a long time, and I do admit to wanting them to get back together, but its hard to see it happening now. Its unfair for the Juliette to keep running off and ditching her family, only for Avery to take her back, again and again. But, my heart wants them together! 

Why are we spending so much freaking time with new people, and not with the character who have been here the whole time? Or maybe we can focus on music a teeny bit more? When we only have three episodes left?!?!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, J-Man said:

18 minutes ago, slaterain said:

That really bugged me!!! So much!!! no comment about Rayna - no comment about Teddy. just ugh. 

I’ve said so much about the lack of acknowledging Teddy that at this point it’s all white noise and I refuse to talk about it anymore, the show doesn’t give a damn about it is the only point.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I do admit to wanting them to get back together, but its hard to see it happening now. Its unfair for the Juliette to keep running off and ditching her family, only for Avery to take her back, again and again. But, my heart wants them together! 

I want it too mainly because I want a happy ending for Juliette.  I guess I'm more forgiving of her because, even though she put Avery through a lot of shit, the shit she actually went through from raising herself, sexual assault, plane crash and PPD is so much worse.  That's not Avery's fault.  And he wouldn't be wrong to want to walk away.  But given the totality of it all, I also don't think he'd be wrong to reconsider making it finally final.

And I want a happy ending for Avery.  His scenes with Alannah are too blah to even make me suspend my disbelief. 

Speaking of Alannah, I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough when she got all weepy on the phone with Avery talking about how it was suddenly too complicated.  What?  Nothing about their circumstances changed from when she told him was all totally worth it except his ex, who had maybe been gone about two months, was back.

I also didn't know why Avery had to leave almost immediately.  It's a big house. 

• Love 2

Liked last night's episode more than the previous two, but the bar is really low for me this season. Chip can do no wrong as an actor. His AA scene was pretty much perfection.

My biggest WTF moment was Juliette NOT telling Avery what happened in Bolivia on camera. She told Hallie (hi, Rhiannon, you still sound amazing!), BUT not her husband when she made it back into the country. Not even a phone call? "Hey, I was brainwashed and held against my will, see ya soon?" Instead we get the aftermath, I guess. Or they were discussing laundry? It was more important to the writers to give us more vet and purple than our main character. Ugh.

I can't say it enough: Fuck purple hair and her story. F Scarlett and her own mini show. I don't care about them. Not at this point. 3 episodes left. They shouldn't be the focus.

Underwhelming moment for me was Daphne putting down the guitar and walking around the stage while using her hands. They acted like she'd been paralyzed. :/

• Love 9
2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

said so much about the lack of acknowledging Teddy that at this point it’s all white noise and I refuse to talk about it anymore, the show doesn’t give a damn about it is the only poi

Ugh, I'm with you. Every time there is dialogue that implies that Deacon is Daphne's dad. I kept waiting for someone to tell Gramps "You know only Maddie is your biological granddaughter, right?" Because I'm not sure he does! I don't mind Deacon being Daphne's dad for all intents and purposes, but I get the feeling at this point that the writers and CMT would just rather we forget about Teddy because it's Just. Too. Complicated. And that's what annoys me. Soap history matters, dammit!

Juliette isn't telling Avery about the baby because she doesn't want that to be the main decision on whether or not he sticks with her. Finale info maybe?

So Scarlett rejoins the three boys by the end? Whoosh...try to catch the absolutely valid, important VA story whizzing past!

Just once, I'd like to see Maddie without the spackled on makeup. At breakfast, for cripes sake... Is that too much to ask for?

I couldn't understand a word of Daphne's song.....did she always enunciate so poorly?

Esten tears up....yep, another episode on track.

• Love 4

I think it’s pretty clear you Teddy fans aren’t going to get any resolution. Maybe it’s time to just move on.  Whether the writers don’t care or are insulting our intelligence or something else, it seems clear at this point that it’s a plot point that’s just going to be dropped. 

49 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

I can't say it enough: Fuck purple hair and her story. F Scarlett and her own mini show. I don't care about them. Not at this point. 3 episodes left. They shouldn't be the focus.

I don't understand this direction considering they have creator Callie around.  Every writer should know fans don't like newbies unless they're brought in w/main characters in a meaningful way.  I know they didn't know they were cancelled until filming of episode of 5, but the Juliette story is horrible as well.  And they're seeing it through which I guess you have to, but the way they had Juliette all of a sudden decide-wait this is wrong?  It makes it look like Avery is weirdly in the wrong because she's so calm and reasonable coming back, but it doesn't work and I want them back together.  However, with 3 episodes left, this is going to be awkward and slapdash.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, J-Man said:

I hate the refusal to acknowledge Teddy too, but does Gideon actually know he didn't raise them?

40 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

I couldn't understand a word of Daphne's song.....did she always enunciate so poorly?

Esten tears up....yep, another episode on track.

I don't think she always enunciated so poorly. This clip from her and Luke singing a few years ago is much more understandable.

47 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

But does Gideon actually know he didn't raise them?

That's actually a good question...I wouldn't guess he doesn't know a) Deacon didn't raise them, nor 2) Daphne isn't Deacon's. 

Also, I didn't know his name was Gideon!

I agree with you, re Maisy's singing. I liked both girls' voices/styles much more a couple years ago. Maisy was quite good in that episode where she performed with Esten at that big party (sorry, I forget the details - it was like the first time Daphne performed without Maddie or something).

I mean.. at this point the finale isn’t going to be anything good for me. I won’t be impressed by anything. Sorry I’m not sorry but I already know. And that’s just because they aren’t even trying to set up end stories at this point and it’s just so strange the way some characters hardly act with or to each other anymore. 

But at this point I have to stick it out till the end.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

But at this point I have to stick it out till the end.

Yeah, only 3 left so it's easy, but all the pieces are just pieces, no cohesiveness.  Daphne's story isn't bad, but it's still weird the way they pretend sort of that Deacon is her father.  I love their relationship, but it's like the writers just ignore things like the fact that Juliette and Avery are not married. Yes, they're a couple, but they're divorced and she should not be alone with the kid after her antics to put it mildly.  And I want them together, but there's no time as you said.  Just, suckage.  

Edited by sunflower
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

That's actually a good question...I wouldn't guess he doesn't know a) Deacon didn't raise them, nor 2) Daphne isn't Deacon's. 

Also, I didn't know his name was Gideon!

I agree with you, re Maisy's singing. I liked both girls' voices/styles much more a couple years ago. Maisy was quite good in that episode where she performed with Esten at that big party (sorry, I forget the details - it was like the first time Daphne performed without Maddie or something).

I didn't know his name either, but I saw a bunch of posters who pay closer attention to me kindly posted it. That's how I figured out Sean's name too.

40 minutes ago, sunflower said:

Yeah, only 3 left so it's easy, but all the pieces are just pieces, no cohesiveness.  Daphne's story isn't bad, but it's still weird the way they pretend sort of that Deacon is her father.  I love their relationship, but it's like the writers just ignore things like the fact that Juliette and Avery are not married. Yes, they're a couple, but they're divorced and she should not be alone with the kid after her antics to put it mildly.  And I want them together, but there's no time as you said.  Just, suckage.  

Yeah, I was shocked Avery's planning to move out and leave Cadence with Juliette. Not that I think he would keep Juliette from seeing her, but I would have thought he didn't totally trust her judgement at this point. Because of running off to join a cult and all.  I also expected Cadence to not really be so thrilled to see her.

I really feel like there aren't enough episodes left to wrap up all the storylines. They knew they were cancelled when they were writing these episodes, right? Maybe we'll get a time jump to show happy endings.

3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I also expected Cadence to not really be so thrilled to see her.

Cadence is like 2 or 3.  She's probably too young to feel resentment.  She'd just be happy her mom is home. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, I was shocked Avery's planning to move out and leave Cadence with Juliette.

Totally annoyed me.  Because of logistics and mother favoritism or something.  If if was Avery's house, then he'd stay?  Just so dumb, he's tired of dealing with her crap and he doesn't know if she's going to disappear again, but leave the kid w/her?  Just bad writing.  I'd rather he just stay there and they deal with awkwardness. That's more interesting anyway because they would have scenes together and like talk.  Whatever.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also I did watch the Jessie and Deacon supermarket scene.. I mean.. I don’t know. At this point the series is going to end with them together so what the hell are we doing here? God damn.. I hate the scenic route we have to take just to end this show.

I am not ashamed to admit that I cried during that scene. I love me some Deacon and he and Jessie deserve love.

9 hours ago, seewillrun said:

Everything that Deacon's dad is doing strikes me as manipulative.  Always being on the kids side of things during discussions, heading off to his room muttering about 'having no fun' after the girls walk in during the argument, but the calling Deacon "son" all the time would get you kicked out at my house.  If half of what Deacon remembers, actually happened, dear old dad doesn't get to come looking for family to stick by him now that's he old.  Calling Deacon "son", is patronizing and reminding him constantly of a relationship that brought Deacon nothing but pain.  I wish they would deal upfront with this issue.  The first time his dad disputed what Deacon remembers as their home life, Deacon should have challenged him as to who was doing all the abuse if it wasn't you?  He should have never invited him into the house to start with... but when he acts like nothing abusive happened at all, he should be gone.

YES. Whoever is writing for that old man's character knows about emotional abuse. My father is exactly like that--nothing is like what we all remember. "We don't know "the truth" about our mother", who was actually at home with us, his three young kids, while he was off running around on her. The personality type is charming to people he newly meets, but once you get to know him...the gloves come off. Narcissistic pathological liar. I can barely stand to watch it.

7 hours ago, J-Man said:

As soon as I heard that line, I thought, "The forum is going to be fired up over that!" Ha! Yeah, Deacon didn't raise them. Rayna and Teddy (and nannies?) did. Deacon's been in the family full-time since April 2015 (yeah, I looked it up).

3 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Underwhelming moment for me was Daphne putting down the guitar and walking around the stage while using her hands. They acted like she'd been paralyzed. :/

I did not like this at all. She folded after standing up for herself. Any twit with autotune can sing, but she's writing songs she composes with her guitar. Giving up that part of her persona for asshat Brad pissed me off.

And yes, Maisy's affectations are getting worse as time goes by. She must be picking it up from Lennon, who now sounds like she's whisper-croaking while gargling a mouthful of marbles and water.

• Love 8

One of the most typical moments as to how bad the writers are this season was how the great big Brad/Jessie custody battle that was oh-so-dramatic a few episodes ago was just tossed aside with one quick line of dialogue in the supermarket scene.  Not that I cared about that story, and not that I don’t actually like that it’s ditched, but it sort of perfectly encapsulates how sloppy the writings been lately and how we’re getting these tedious scenes and annoying storylines that basically go nowhere.  These days it wouldn’t surprise me if next episode Deacon’s dad was gone and someone just quickly says “oh, yeah, too bad he just left forever without saying goodbye” and we never heard about him again.  The writing is just all over the place lately.

• Love 5

Okay, an unpopular opinion, but I just wish Jessie would go away.  She just can't get out a complete sentence without all kinds of additional thoughts, sound effects (sighs, etc.), and meanderings.  I guess I just don't understand the abuse she has suffered as she focuses on Brad wanting to send Jake to boarding school or to have full custody, neither of which is abusive.  The scene when Brad was yelling at Jake does not necessarily demonstrate that's how Brad always interacted with him.  And they have made Brad central to three story lines this season which I just don't get.  Jessie, Daphne, and purple hair.  Why does he have so much screen time?

Deacon just broke my heart during the AA scene.  I wish Chip/Charles would at least be nominated for an Emmy, but I doubt the academy members are watching this show.

For as much as Maddie wanted emancipation because of a record contract, she sure isn't pursuing her career.  

As someone above mentioned, I am glad that Sean pushed back at Scarlett.  At least they went to a VA Hospital even though he did not receive services.  PTSD is a very real issue and the last few episodes seemed to be going in the direction that Scarlett would be able to help him.  This episode's emphasis on professional help was a long needed message.    

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

For as much as Maddie wanted emancipation because of a record contract, she sure isn't pursuing her career.  

And unfortunately, while I'm fairly sure she will ditch Jonah by the end, it probably won't happen before the finale. Ideally, I wish it would happen sooner than later, and she has a career resurgence, because Maddie's entire arc this season has been about being Jonah's girlfriend. Yecchhh.

• Love 3

I’m meh on Jessie, mostly because at this point it seems pretty written in stone that she and Deacon end up together. They seem to be the only couple where there’s a definite. All the other couples, like the stories are just failing around.

It sucks that we have three episodes left and our screens are being wasted with secondary characters. How much time are we spending with Evil evik brad and really annoying purple hair..

and I mean I’d complain about the lack of will but maybe he’s better off this way? The last time these writers tried to give him anything was a body Dysmorphia issue which came out of nowhere that caused him take steroids and land in the hospital that they now have other characters making jokes about.. so he’s better off doing nothing if you ask me.

And I don’t know. I honestly just can’t wait to see how they wrap this up because I’m going to laugh and laugh.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, an unpopular opinion, but I just wish Jessie would go away.  She just can't get out a complete sentence without all kinds of additional thoughts, sound effects (sighs, etc.), and meanderings.  I guess I just don't understand the abuse she has suffered as she focuses on Brad wanting to send Jake to boarding school or to have full custody, neither of which is abusive.  The scene when Brad was yelling at Jake does not necessarily demonstrate that's how Brad always interacted with him.     

Jessie has talked in previous episodes about some of the things that Brad has done to Jake, which are abusive.  Jake has talked about it also.  I think it's more verbal and emotional abuse, with how he belittles him and berates him, making the kid feel unloved and like he's a failure.  That spoken word thing Jake did at the talent show was his way of lashing out at his father for the abuse.  And when Brad was yelling at Jake actually has been presented as how Brad typically interacts with him.  I agree that wanting full custody and sending him to boarding school are not abuse, but it's part of Brad's intent to keep him away from his mother.  I think Jessie had minimal visitation with Jake and Brad dictated start and end times for that.

She also shared with Deacon, back when they first met, some of what she had lived through with Brad.  He seems to be controlling and manipulative and he's clearly still controlling Jessie's life in addition to their son's.

She does seem to be a little bit like a dainty butterfly, but having been married to a controlling, manipulative man myself, I understand that inability to be able to stand up for yourself because it's always twisted back onto you.  She's always trying to find that middle ground and I get that.  It's not easy to do and often fails, because the other person turns it back on you and makes you feel inadequate.

I feel like this is all going to get resolved though as we seem to be headed for a #MeToo type storyline for Brad.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, that was a meh episode.

The scene with Deacon and Jessie in the supermarket was so lame. I don't like her and I just knew she would get all emotional again. Standing there, crying in the supermarket after bumping their carts into each other because neither was paying attention... oh please. I hope they don't get back together. She's so whiny. Honestly, I don't know what she gave Deacon, other than maybe feeling like she needed/depended on him, the way Rayna never did. But I already spoke about that in previous threads, so I'll leave it at that. And Jessie's "solution" for Brad is so typical: let's hope karma exists. Oh yes, because why not actually do something yourself if you so fear for your son's life/happiness. She and Deacon would probably be depressive as hell as a longterm couple, her with her neediness, weakness and inability to do something (and she wanted to study psychology? Oh, how typical!) and him as the recovering alcoholic with anger management issues.

How dramatic is Purple Hair? That first scene with her and Avery made no sense at all. First she's like she doesn't want to be responsible for tearing his family apart, then it's all so complicated, but Avery thinks she's oversimplifying it? Color me confused. Also, I must have missed something (and I even managed to refrain from FF through any scenes!) because next thing I know they're having lunch and are discussing Brad's behavior? Everything seemed fine between them? Ugh. I do think she should stay away, but only because there is no chemistry between her and Avery and after her antics in this episode, I'm willing to bet she's more dramatic than Juliette! At least Juliette often has a relatively logical reason for her behavior (at least in her eyes/from her experience), Purple Hair just seems erratic and thriving on the drama. Also, do no care about her and Brad.

I saw someone ask why so much time is given to Brad? I'm guessing TPTB figure he's related to major characters through his working relationship with Purple Hair (Avery), his working relationship with Daphne (and thereby also connected to Deacon) and his relationship with Jessie (Deacon). I just wish he'd go away. Jeff was a much better adversary and he would have never stooped as low as a reality contest like Nashville's Next Country Star or whatever it's called. The man had standards and mocked Layla's experience with America's Hitmaker or whatever it was. Oh, those were the days...

Scarlet and vet boy are annoying as hell, but I was pleased their scenes were relatively short. The PTSD/vet snippet at the VA was such a PSA... oh and hey, maybe now I know why Deacon likes Jessie: Scarlet also very nearly burst out in tears when talking to that doctor and we all know how overemotional and dramatic Beverly was... he likes needy and whiny women, apparently. Certainly has (had) quite a few of them in his life.  Oh and Scarlet is back to writing? Daphne is apparently very inspiring... despite no one being able to hear what she was actually singing for the most part. Guess Scarlet will go back to the boys to sing and they'll welcome her with open arms now that Purple Hair is gone and Gunner can go back to being his ridiculous self when it comes to her.

I don't know what did or did not happen in Deacon's youth, in part because of all the recent retconning. But it's entirely possible he and his father are both speaking the truth (according to them, anyway). Like I said before, Deacon resembles his father way more than he likes to think/acknowledge, and while I am pleased he finally admitted that he himself has been given a lot of chances by those in his life despite screwing up all the time because of his addiction, I still think he's being pretty hypocritical without even realizing. Remember all the drama with Rayna about him blacking out all the time due to his drinking? And not passing out from the booze but doing and saying things (like proposing to her) and not being able to remember a single thing the next day? His father was an abusive drunk who didn't seem to have a lot going for him, so I wouldn't be surprised if meaningless jobs and drinking to cope with and possibly raising his hand a time or two to his wife and children are the only things he recalls from that time. He does seem to be making an effort. But like someone else mentioned, he's also a bit manipulative (but possibly not on purpose) with the girls. But Deacon, like always, just starts yelling and screaming when he disagrees rather than trying to have an actual conversation. Maybe if he tried, then he would come to the conclusion that hey, his father is trying and he has the same response to getting drunk as Deacon and so he really does not recall all of the abuse. And also, if his father really was a mean a drunk as Deacon claims, then it's very possible that what little the man remembers has all blurred together to raising his hand a time or two or something like that. And the bit from the preview, about him giving Deacon his music, does actually seem to jibe with one of the recent flashbacks where Deacon was playing the guitar. But for Deacon, who's been traumatized from an early age, all of the abuse stands out, none of it is blurred together but all the good things have most likely been forgotten/repressed because they violence and fear outweighed them by far.

Ugh, I don't know why I'm even trying. I doubt the writers have given it half as much thought as I just did...

Oh and yay for Juliette being back. I also would have preferred her showing up at Deacon's but maybe she thinks he's got enough on his plate after Rayna's passing. I thought Hallie (?) lived pretty far away, though? Ah well, doesn't matter. It was nice to see a song actually being recorded (was it at HW65 though?) because I thought maybe TPTB had forgotten about that part of the show, what with no one ever performing, writing or practicing or even talking about any of those things anymore (except for Gunner constantly complaining about practice). Good to see Juliette behaving like an actual adult, but I agree with others who said that she and Avery could have easily stayed in the apartment/house together? I mean, sure, we only ever see the kitchen/living room and the occasional glimpse of Cadence's bedroom but I'm pretty sure the place is supposed to be a lot bigger than that. Certainly big enough for two adults and a toddler. Letting Juliette take care of Cadence was weird as well, even aside from her questionable judgment, considering she and others mentioned several times how tired she was/bad she felt or looked. And she was fired up about Scientology the Movement (I would also say I'm so looking forward to her taking them down but then it's only a few more eps so it won't be satisfying at all) but ready to crash and has just been gone for what, several months (?), so it makes no sense to leave her to care for a child she showed hardly any interest in the last time Avery spoke to her. At the very least they could have had Emily stay with her and Cadence. It's not like TPTB aren't letting other unimportant characters chew up the screen, at least the majority of watchers of the show seem to like Emily.

And last but not least, I would like to see Ilse sing a bit more because she's got a great voice and stage presence and if we're gonna waste time on Nashville's Next whatever then let's give her a moment to shine rather than Brad or the other unnamed judge/coach/contestants.

PS.

Despite the lengthiness of this post, I forgot to say that Gideon must have been living under a rock (or possibly in a bottle) if he does not know that only the oldest of Rayna James' daughters was fathered by Deacon. But it does seem ridiculous how he spoke of "their grandma" in the pics etc and how proud he seemed to be of Daphe performing (guess he could just really love music...).

Edited by Efzee
forgot
  • Love 4

Efzee, I'm not sure I agree with all your points, but I enjoyed hearing from someone who has a lot of opinions about the show that they wanted to share. Actually, I just see Gideon differently as I think he has a definite agenda for intruding into Deacons life.  

All of these characters are so emotional  that they would be exhausting to be around all the time. I've attributed it to artistic temperament and thought some of the conflict of the show would be between the artists and the solely profit driven music execs. There was a  Zach vs Hwy 64 artists storyline that displayed this dynamic but I disliked Zach so much that I was automatically on the side of the artists when normally that would probably not be the side I would take immediately. 

1 hour ago, seewillrun said:

Efzee, I'm not sure I agree with all your points, but I enjoyed hearing from someone who has a lot of opinions about the show that they wanted to share. Actually, I just see Gideon differently as I think he has a definite agenda for intruding into Deacons life.  

All of these characters are so emotional  that they would be exhausting to be around all the time. I've attributed it to artistic temperament and thought some of the conflict of the show would be between the artists and the solely profit driven music execs. There was a  Zach vs Hwy 64 artists storyline that displayed this dynamic but I disliked Zach so much that I was automatically on the side of the artists when normally that would probably not be the side I would take immediately. 

Yeah I hated that I had to agree with the others when Zach (and Rachel Bilsons random character) made points about the artists needing to start doing marketing. It was also hilarious when I remembered that Juliette’s first scene in the pilot of the show was her looking at perfume bottles because she used her star and music to sell perfume but she was acting all out out now to do so.

• Love 1
On 7/6/2018 at 2:00 PM, seewillrun said:

Calling Deacon "son", is patronizing and reminding him constantly of a relationship that brought Deacon nothing but pain.

I attribute this more to the actor than the character.  It seems like I've heard him call people "son" in every role I've ever seen him play because it just sounds so familiar when he says it, as if it were one of his habits.  I've seen him in stuff going all the way back to the show Apple's Way in the 70s (which shows my age).  Can't speak for his acting in Deliverance, though, because I've never seen it. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I attribute this more to the actor than the character.  It seems like I've heard him call people "son" in every role I've ever seen him play because it just sounds so familiar when he says it, as if it were one of his habits.  I've seen him in stuff going all the way back to the show Apple's Way in the 70s (which shows my age).  Can't speak for his acting in Deliverance, though, because I've never seen it. 

You definitely should see Deliverance. Great movie. 

I don't have a problem with him calling Deacon “son.”  He is. And they’re Southern. 

I enjoyed Daphne’s song but I hate that she now slur-sings. 

• Love 1