Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Death Dealers 2018.07.03

Tarot is a very ancient and well-respected. Too bad they used a semi fortune-telling approach. The one with Mel was quite accurate. She will not be in the same talent league as folks like Matt. She probably has her own little niche and will do well with it.

McKenzie looked good as an end-of-the-pier fortune teller.

Matt's was the best. The second best was the minimalist one. The pink creature resembling the German metal festival costume was whaaaaaaaat? The rest were okay. The one that, with a better paint job, would have taken first place.

Thank goodness I dvr this ( not that I dislike commercials, but I refuse to be manipulated by the cut to commercial before revealing the winner), because I am not at all interested in hearing tarot readings for the contestants.   I would rather they had used that,time for more comments and advice from Mr. Westmore.   None of the looks were really horrible, maybe because they had so much guidance for this relatively straightforward challenge.  I think the show  recognized that they had to dumb it down a bit, or maybe weaker folks have left.  I thought Matt deserved the win.   

• Love 1

Too bad they took an interesting idea and set up the challenge to guarantee that everyone churned out the same damn monstery-looking Death. Graham’s was the only one I actually liked because it looked different - I really appreciated the simple beauty makeup approach. Matt’s had some good qualities to it but why the fuck does he always put teeth in the wrong damn place? It bugs the shit out of me for some reason. And they keep rewarding him with wins. I’m starting to feel like Matt winning the season has already been decided. I hate to see this show go out with a whimper.

Was I the only Good Place viewer who chuckled every time someone said Derek? Hee. (Maximum Derek!)

Dryads next week could be really cool. I mean, it probably won’t be, but it could be!

• Love 8

Yeah, I liked Matt’s design except for those stupid misplaced teeth. I wish Graham’s design had won. Death doesn’t have to be a demon and/or ugly. Are they ever going to have a beauty challenge (didn’t see the preview)? I’m tired of monsters. The Pepto pink thing was ridiculous.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Matt’s had some good qualities to it but why the fuck does he always put teeth in the wrong damn place? It bugs the shit out of me for some reason.

You and me both.  There was a time when the judges would comment on shit like this but apparently not any more.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

There was a time when the judges would comment on shit like this but apparently not any more.

Yes. Between Matt winning with out-of-mouth teeth (twice in a row!), and the rough edges around the mouth on Graham's Death also going unremarked upon, I wonder what these makeups look like through the judges' eyes.

I didn't think Kevon's was bad, but I was struck by how last episode he made a conscious decision to pare back and concentrate on doing fewer things really well, to great success, and this episode he was back to SCULPT ALL THE THINGS.

I know Damien's pink monster Death wasn't great, but Damien is my favourite, so I hope he pulls it together in the next challenge.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wish that a true friend of Matt's would tell him to embrace his baldness. 

Combovers are not cool, no matter how big a hipster you think you are.

Also, Jordan? I have absolutely no recollection of him in past seasons, and I've been a fan since the beginning. 

Edited by OoogleEyes
Thoughts! I have Thoughts!
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Matt’s had some good qualities to it but why the fuck does he always put teeth in the wrong damn place?

And the teeth, being non-functional need not be anywhere near the 'mouth' so why do the judges overlook this anatomical oddity when they crucify others for not getting the jaw muscleature correct?  

Last night there were presentations that were make ups and there were presentations that were masks and I think there was one mention of that.  The frozen static masks make any acting impossible, and one of the guys got dinged for it twice in a row....so he did it again last night. Huh?  I got a gripe on because of that.  Also, earlier this week we saw The Shape of Water for our first time, so I borrowed The Creature from the Black Lagoon from the library for comparison sake.  The poor Creature wore a mask.  Doug Jones wore makeup and there was so much more he could do with expressing his monster-ness. Now to rewatch Shape.  If you can get the two movies to watch for their monsters, it's a fun approach to them.

Also....yesterday we were out and about and the temperature in our car told us it was 100F outside several times.  So, wth are these contestants in balmy Los Angeles (admittedly earlier in the year) dressing their heads as if they are about to land in the Yukon?  Their heads can't be that cold and their hair looks silly with or without the hats.  The personal grooming of the gang going into the historic house was such that I wouldn't have opened a locked front door to hear what some of them would have to say.  I go back to the pictures of Mr. Westmore from his book when the pictures were taken because somebody just happened to visit where he was working that day: always a pressed shirt and tie, and you can tell what decade it was by the width of his ties.  Sometimes a sports coat, sometimes a sweater, but always well dressed.  And not wearing anything that screamed "look at me", not ever. 

Which brings me to Matt's combover, which can also be called a swope.  The damned thing has a wardrobe of its own and there are times it chooses its own kind of hoodie...... There is discolored hair there that reminds me of someone I know from North Carolina with a white beard that is nicotine stained around his mouth and better left forgotten.

Right now, I wish they'd have choices of very small models and the challenge would be to create a lifelike, alive Winston Churchill.  (For an upcoming episode of Mission Impossible...or maybe even a twenty year old makeup of a younger Tom Cruise.)  Anything to get away from horror and screaming uglies.

• Love 6

Also, Jordan? I have absolutely no recollection of him in past seasons, and I've been a fan since the beginning. 

I remember Jordan (season 9) but have no memory of Damian.  And I've watched from the beginning too.  

I liked Matt's work okay but those strangely positioned teeth really bother me and I can't figure why he hasn't been dinged for it.  Especially last week.  Between the purple and those hideous teeth, it still baffles me that he won both weeks.  I can only guess that Glenn is working on some new teeth monster project.  

I have a feeling that Ve has got an eye on Jordan to hire for his painting skills.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Too bad they took an interesting idea and set up the challenge to guarantee that everyone churned out the same damn monstery-looking Death.

I don't agree that the challenge was designed to guarantee everybody made a monster.  The Tarot cards are mostly full of human figures - it's the contestants who decided all the characters had to be monsters with wands and swords etc. lodged in their skulls.  BTW I love Tarot and wow, those readings were super lame.

16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Death doesn’t have to be a demon and/or ugly. Are they ever going to have a beauty challenge ?

If any challenge was well suited to being a beauty challenge it was this one.  I couldn't believe  Graham was the ONLY one who came up with an Angel of Death.   Death doesn't have to be scary anyway - how about Death in the Sandman comics?

• Love 5
(edited)

Didn't care for Matt's creature, mostly because of those damn teeth.

Next week, dryads... and Jordu Schell as guest "industry professional", which fills me with joy.

Edited by Kaoteek
I've forgotten how to spell, apparently
  • Love 4

Count me on wondering how Matt keeps winning with weird, misplaced teeth. Also, if we're gonna call out Damien's for looking like a German heavy metal monster, can we please call out Matt's for being a riff on Papa Emeritus from the band Ghost?

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, enoughcats said:

The personal grooming of the gang going into the historic house was such that I wouldn't have opened a locked front door to hear what some of them would have to say.

I thought of that, too.  I guess they're "artists".  I was also distressed by someone's (who?) description of the house: "It's this big spooky house with pictures and stuff on the walls and then we come to this big room that's all granite."  Seriously, a 10 year old could give a better description.  

Matt's hairstyle is terrible (it looks like he's a permanent resident of a Halloween spook house), but I'm also turned off by the color.  As someone who's been fighting gray hair for a decade, the idea that 20-somethings intentionally dye their hair gray is beyond belief.  It's not as if it's attractive on them.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3

Am I the only one who looked at Damien's and saw the gay-love baby of Deadpool and any one of Scorpion/Sub-Zero/Reptile from Mortal Kombat?  All I could think while looking at it was "Finish him!"

I get why Matt won, but Graham's was stunning.  I still expect Walter to win the final title.

Shame to see Mackenzie having fun acting this season as I don't recall too many times she did that in past seasons.

• Love 1

I was hoping Mackenzie would stay in character as the Tarot reading medium, but I suspect she was cracking herself up and had to stop. 

I didn't really get what y'all were saying about Matt's hair until I watched this episode.  It doesn't look that bad from the front, it just looks like an emo hair affectation taken too far.  But then when he gets a little sweaty, or has dragged his hat off and on too often, you can see where it really is a combover and not just a hipster affectation.  THEN when you see it from the back?  Holy mother of cheeses, WTF?!?

Oh yay.  Once again, the challenge is "X" and the makeup artists respond with Monster "X"s.  Matt and Graham did think outside that monster box, and they were top looks for sure.

Uh, did anyone else look at Derek's makeup and think "Hey, cool...  Groot's mom!"

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Uh, did anyone else look at Derek's makeup and think "Hey, cool...  Groot's mom!"

Can't remember for sure if it was Derek's, but I definitely did have a "Groot" moment for one of them.

I liked Matt's concept a lot, but didn't love the finished product as much.  I wish he'd gone more ethereal & beautiful with the same shapes (and left off the extra teeth) - less skeletal, without the red undertones. 

Edited by cherbitrary
On 04/07/2018 at 8:18 AM, enoughcats said:

Anything to get away from horror and screaming uglies.

No kidding, hey? I guess if all the wannabe "makeup" artists only want to make masks it's a good thing the show is ending. 

(edited)

Late to the party here - we're watching this season in 2-episode chunks for each elimination. I'm glad that I'm not the only one frustrated beyond belief regarding Matt's inane decision to just put teeth anywhere he damn well pleases without any sort of negative comment from the judges. Just stop it already!

Shame to see Mackenzie having fun acting this season as I don't recall too many times she did that in past seasons.

It's such a shame that she's actually having fun with this now that we're in the final season.

Edited by AAEBoiler
  • Love 2