Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Sic Semper Tyrannis

(edited)

Murphy starts a fire, unleashing catastrophic results.

He didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the world's been turning.

Who knows ? If we are lucky, maybe Murphy will trigger another Priamfiya (or however it is spelled), and it will incinerate the world again -- and this time get the Shadow Valley too.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 7

Nine episodes in, and it feels like nothing has really happened all that much. Or maybe I'm just not really interested in this season. 

It would have been better if Murphy had actually set the valley on fire, to be honest. But nah, he just gets McCreary in charge of the Valley instead of Diyoza.

So, no surprise that Diyoza's baby daddy is McCreary. I bet he's going to take that well now that he knows. 

Oh look, Shaw/Raven are totally going to make out at some point in the next two episodes. 

So, Bellamy screws Clarke, and she screws him right back. No, not in the literal sense (sorry Bellarke fans). But Bellamy turns Madi into the new Commander and Clarke sells him out to Octavia, who is now going to try to kill her brother. 

I was wondering who of Spacekru was accidentally poisoned, and it turns out it was Murphy. He can't have anything go well for him. Also, it does suck that Harper was left out of Bellamy's list of friends from Spacekru, though was he just naming the people in Shadow Valley? I can't remember the fourth name he mentioned. I thought it was Monty, but maybe not. 

Octavia feels bad that she has to kill her brother. Boo freaking who. I don't feel sorry for her. I just want them to get to The Bad Year already so we can figure out why Octavia is so psychopathic. 

• Love 2

I'm still of the belief... They shoulda just went to war from the beginning... As a unit... Wonkru with the rest of the scattered skykru... Because after however many episodes a bunch of ppl are dead... Relationships are ruined... And they are still headed for war... Also damnit selfish ass Clarke... Killed cooper and woulda killed Octavia( who I just feel sorry for now)  to prevent madi from going to war... Shoulda just let the flame do its thing once it was in and maybe there could be peace... Or more likely like all the other warring a commanders she woulda tried for war as well... But def not attempt to kill Octavia (again)  then pull a deal to run away condemning damn near everyone... And for what...  So she and madi can just be killed elsewhere... Alone with no protection.... Smh

• Love 2

It's Octavia's choice to kill everyone. So no I don't feel sorry that's she's upset about that. She made her choice. There is no way Octavia would roll over and let Madi be Commander, she would've tried to kill her, that's why Clarke left. And look Octavia broke her deal and tried to kill them. A leader that makes deals then breaks them a second later is not a leader I want in charge. Crying isn't going to make me for someone that made her own bed. At least Clarke knows she's screwing everyone over to protect Madi. She's not pretending to be badass.  

Good job Murphy now we have two murderous psycho's in charge of the armies. That's going to turn out well. 

How come no one is bringing up the fact that as far as they know they are only living humans left in the world. All this fighting and killing isn't going to matter if their is no one left to continue the human race. That's why they should focus on. 

• Love 4

Was the director drunk for this episode or where they behind schedule and had to rush the fight scenes?  Because almost all of them were incomprehensible.  Way too dark, so many damn cuts and shaky camera work... completely took out any fun they could have had.  But the general idea is that Diyoza, Kane, Shaw, and the Murphy/Rave/Echo/Emori crew are off in the woods now, and now McCreary is in charge, has Abby, and is out for blood.  At least Abby still has Psycho Vinson!

Meanwhile, everyone over on Wonkru is just sucking right now.  Bellamy and Indra go against Clarke's wishes and puts the chip inside Madi, so Clarke screws them all over, and now they're likely going to get put to death/fight in the arena.  And, of course, Octavia go against her promise to Clarke and actually did try go have Madi assassinated.  Lovely person, that Octavia has become.  But I guess her tearing up in private over having to kill Bellamy is suppose to make me feel bad for her?

I really will not be surprised if the eventual series finale is just everyone killing one another and the entire human race goes extinct.  We really are our worst enemies, huh?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Nine episodes in, and it feels like nothing has really happened all that much. 

It's the opposite problem. They've trying to cram so much plot and so many new characters into this season that it's extremely rushed. Even familiar characters have become nothing but cardboard cutouts of themselves as they leap over major plot and character points in giant Superman-like leaps. This episode should have been about four. 

As a consequence when it comes to most of the scenes, (not just action)

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Almost all of them were incomprehensible. 

This.

5 hours ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Clarke has turned into season one Abby. 

You mean because of the "my daughter, my daughter" thing?

I think it would be hilarious at this point if the DARK YEAR  was just a year where it was literally dark. 

• Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Nine episodes in, and it feels like nothing has really happened all that much. Or maybe I'm just not really interested in this season. 

It really is dull -- I basically listen to it in the background now while folding laundry.

7 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

How come no one is bringing up the fact that as far as they know they are only living humans left in the world. All this fighting and killing isn't going to matter if their is no one left to continue the human race. That's why they should focus on. 

And with so few people left if they just keep killing each other, Octavia will be last person standing -- Queen of the Cinder.

Here's the problem -- the Ark was in "geo-synchronous" orbit over Virginia all this time (even though it's orbit is way too low to be in geo-synchronous orbit), so they really haven't explored the rest of the planet to see if there are any other green valleys.  I'd be checking out Australia or New Zealand since Priamfaya 2.0 seemed  to be mostly concentrated in the Northern Hemisphere (where all the nuclear reactors were located that all coincidentally went kablooey).

Madi becoming the new Commander was the least surprising thing that happened all season.

1 hour ago, AudienceofOne said:

I think it would be hilarious at this point if the DARK YEAR  was just a year where it was literally dark. 

Now that would be funny.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn't see the final scene as us supposed to be feeling bad for Octavia, but understanding that she's putting up a front. Whatever happened during the dark year, she's still living as if it has a chance of happening again if she lets up even a little. She's scared and when she started lowering her guard even just a little, her brother poisoned her and her mentor turned her back on her. She's either going to be worse now than before or she's gonna start to crack. After all, this is a girl who didn't want the responsibility of leadership, but was more or less forced into it. And unlike the commanders of the past, she didn't have the wisdom of those before her to draw on. She's floundering. her character arc (along with Diyoza) is the most interesting to me this season.

Putting the flame in Maddie's head as a means to stop a war was all kinds of dumb. They were just starting a war amongst themselves at that point; people who would still be loyal to Octavia and those attached to the old ways.

A big misstep this season was not visiting in with each faction (Spacekru, Wonkru, Maddie/Clarke, Diyoza and dem)before smashing them all together. It makes since that Clarke would be loyal to Maddie; Bellamy loyal to Echo and the rest of Spacekru, everyone fanatically loyal to Octavia over their original 100 crew/Grounder clans. They've been with each other longer (6 years vs like the year or two that was season 1-4) and in isolation. Their bonds to their new groups should be strong than their bonds to their old factions. But they haven't taken the time to fully explore these new dynamics so everything feels off and rushed and nonsensical at times.

And there are people who have pointed out how ludicrous it is that they're fighting amongst themselves instead of trying to coexist. But that's what happens when you have leaders that aren't willing to co-lead.

The ideas behind this season had the potential to be as engaging as season 2 (arguably the best season of this show), but the execution is not there.

Edited by Gwen-Stacys
  • Love 6

I'm going to assume she only did a few of the stunts for safety reasons. They made it so dark so we couldn't spot the stunt double. Which in turn made it less interesting. 

Octavia made her bed of bloodshed now she has to lie in it. My issue is her making deals only to go to kill everyone anyway. 

If Clarke was smart she'd just go hide somewhere with Madi wait till they all kill each other. She should know that land better than any of them. 

I think skipping 6 years was a mistake. We know they all have these connections with their new groups, but I never saw it so I don't care and they haven't given us enough character moments to understand. Right now were picking sides based on the character we like, not their motivations.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I'm going to assume she only did a few of the stunts for safety reasons. They made it so dark so we couldn't spot the stunt double. Which in turn made it less interesting. 

Octavia made her bed of bloodshed now she has to lie in it. My issue is her making deals only to go to kill everyone anyway. 

If Clarke was smart she'd just go hide somewhere with Madi wait till they all kill each other. She should know that land better than any of them. 

I think skipping 6 years was a mistake. We know they all have these connections with their new groups, but I never saw it so I don't care and they haven't given us enough character moments to understand. Right now were picking sides based on the character we like, not their motivations.

I agree about the 6 year jump. People have said over and over about how connections should change because the 6 years but I’m not liking that shift.

I very recently started this show and marathoned up to about 5x2 and the characters and dynamics that interested me are gone or unrecognizable.  Not sure how long I’ll continue with this show but I’m trying to wait it out and hope for a good payoff at seasons end.

• Love 3

I dont feel sorry for Octavia because she has to "kill" Bellamy, indra & Gaia... I'm sorry because she was betrayed by her brother and surrogate mother and sister... All on the shaky promise of peace... Even tho no evidence of that really being an option is there... The prisonkru has been antagonistic from the jump... Clarke was ready to kill her and possibly send every other member of wonkru into harm because Diyoza (who also doesn't have total control)  said they could share... Now I do think indra was right in saying that whatever Octavia turned into down in the Bunker... It was who wonkru needed... And maybe if they had some time when they got to the surface she coulda been turned into something for the future.. But they were in a fight as soon as they were up top... Since then she's done exactly what I woulda expect her to do... It was skykru who haven't had a fight in 6 years and Clarke (channeling all the worst of her mom)  who decided she was making the wrong move based primarily on the fact that wonkru had changed so much not on any real evidence.. And all they did was undermine and sabotage and complain and turn their noses up at what their friends had become.. 

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

You mean because of the "my daughter, my daughter" thing?

Clarke has tunnel vision when it comes to Madi. She's like one of those obsessive helicopters mothers who are so overprotective that they become abusive and oppressive. Of all the approaches they could have taken to deescalating the war, Bellamy's was the most reasonable and humane for all parties, including Madi. Clarke has zero plan beyond running away with Madi, and where to exactly? She spent a year being miserable in a wasteland, and that's the life she wants to subject Madi to? They can't go to the valley and they can't stay with Octavia so what is her brilliant plan? She's so obsessed with keeping Madi "safe", that she's killed two people now who didn't mean them any harm. At the very least, she could have brought the Grounder with him since he was about to pledge his loyalty right then and there, but she wants things to go back to how they were so bad that she just straight up killed him even though that will just piss off Wonkru all the more.

One thing this episode really solidified is how manipulative Clarke is in her interactions with Bellamy. When Bellamy told her what he'd done to Octavia to save Clarke's life, she told him he did the right thing for their people and the valley. When he told her about making Madi the Commander, she told him to release her so they could run away, with zero regards for what it'd mean for Spacekru and Abby and Kane. Bellamy telling her Spacekru was his family was the most satisfying moment of the episode, because he finally realized how selfish she was being. He almost killed his sister for her and she repaid him with leaving him and the rest of "her" people for dead, though not before she got a hit in, because this show sure loves having Bellamy be abused by the people he loves.

Honestly, I think this show would massively improve by killing Clarke. We already have another pragmatic strategist woman on the show now in Diyoza, except she's actually capable.

Edited by shireenbamfatheon
  • Love 8

Yes, yes, yes!  Aside from this -

1 hour ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Honestly, I think this show would massively improve by killing Clarke.

- I completely, totally agree with everything you wrote.  I've always waffled back and forth on how I feel about Clarke, but I am honestly just about DONE with her at this point.  (I only don't want them to kill her off because of what it would do to the other characters.)  I am SO TIRED of her unilaterally deciding what is best, even when she has good intentions (and she often does, I don't always hate her and sometimes she really does have the best plan of action) she just absolutely refuses to consider another way.

I had really high hopes for her this season, too.  That makes me sad.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Yes, yes, yes!  Aside from this -

- I completely, totally agree with everything you wrote.  I've always waffled back and forth on how I feel about Clarke, but I am honestly just about DONE with her at this point.  (I only don't want them to kill her off because of what it would do to the other characters.)  I am SO TIRED of her unilaterally deciding what is best, even when she has good intentions (and she often does, I don't always hate her and sometimes she really does have the best plan of action) she just absolutely refuses to consider another way.

I had really high hopes for her this season, too.  That makes me sad.

Realistically, it wouldn't do much to the other characters because 1) They already thought she'd died once and seemed to move on fine and 2) Clarke does not have a close relationship with any of The 100 not named Bellamy. Last season alone we had Clarke not writing Monty and Harper's names on the list leading to animosity between them, her electrocuting Jasper and getting him locked up on false charges leading to more animosity, her willingness to leave Raven to die until Bellamy brought her up, almost sacrificing Emori while Murphy was begging her not to do it, locking Octavia out of the bunker knowing she'd die a painful death and locking up Bellamy and holding a gun to his death for wanting to save his sister. The only reason they retcon her relationship with the others at the end of each season e.g. Octavia telling her she never wants to speak to her again at the end of season two only to ask Clarke to join them again, Monty telling her Jasper would want her to live etc. is because she's the protagonist and they can't write her as too unlikable. Clarke hasn't had a proper friendship with anyone since season two. She makes no sense as a protagonist.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Clarke hasn't had a proper friendship with anyone since season two. She makes no sense as a protagonist.

Hmmm, you make some strong points.  Gonna have to keep this view of her in mind when I rewatch eps this season.

Said it before and I'll say it again... I've been off Clarke since she seemed more interested in shagging/falling in love with finn & protecting the girl who killed Welles than in actually mourning her best friend Welles who allowed himself to be hated so she could have a relationship with her mom.. ( and yes I get he was prob super in love with her)  which honestly just makes her reactions and moves right after anger me more... I do appreciate that over the course of the show they have made Clarke as insufferable as her Mother

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

14 hours ago, Thundercatmary said:

I agree about the 6 year jump. People have said over and over about how connections should change because the 6 years but I’m not liking that shift.

I very recently started this show and marathoned up to about 5x2 and the characters and dynamics that interested me are gone or unrecognizable.  

6 hours ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Honestly, I think this show would massively improve by killing Clarke. We already have another pragmatic strategist woman on the show now in Diyoza, except she's actually capable.

Their lack of effort in establishing the new relationships and the new dynamics is most affecting Clarke. I think the writers don't know what to do with her actually. When they decided to have Octavia rather than Clarke establish Wonkru (I guess because they wanted to do this arc this season), they lost any concept of who she is and what her textual purpose is. This is true of most of the characters this season but is especially stark with Clarke.

The only character who I feel is written consistently and with any depth is Octavia and that's because she's still a petulant teen.

But the scene where Bellamy comes to see Clarke and she's chained up and they fight about Madi... I realised I had no real grasp of their relationship in terms of each other and in terms of anybody else (except Bellamy's relationship with his sister). There was no subtext to the conversation at all, just ciphers delivering their lines to further the plot. I have the same reaction every time Raven fights with Echo. What's their relationship with each other? What's the context behind their fight? No clue.

I used to know what role each character had to play in the story the show had to tell and how they related to each other. Even in the depths of the Pike stupid.

Now they're just shadows of themselves. As I said above, I feel like I'm watching cardboard cutouts of the original characters. Which is annoying because earlier in the season I was thinking the show had improved.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It really is dull -- I basically listen to it in the background now while folding laundry.

And with so few people left if they just keep killing each other, Octavia will be last person standing -- Queen of the Cinder.

Here's the problem -- the Ark was in "geo-synchronous" orbit over Virginia all this time (even though it's orbit is way too low to be in geo-synchronous orbit), so they really haven't explored the rest of the planet to see if there are any other green valleys.  I'd be checking out Australia or New Zealand since Priamfaya 2.0 seemed  to be mostly concentrated in the Northern Hemisphere (where all the nuclear reactors were located that all coincidentally went kablooey).

Madi becoming the new Commander was the least surprising thing that happened all season.

Now that would be funny.

The mining / prison ship scanned the earth and this improbably small patch of land is the only habitable area, in the world of the 100.

So, is Murphy like Hannibal Lecter now? He says like three words and people start killing each other.

I was reading this interview with actor Keith Hamilton Cobb, and he was discussing the difference between character driven and story driven productions, especially sci-fi shows. The 100 is horribly plot-driven. Whatever they decide to write, the character's actions and motivations turn on a dime to service the plot. Abby's the drug addict this year, so Clarke is now Mama Bear. Jaha is dead, so Kane becomes the peacemaker.

• Love 3

i agree that the motivation for the characters arent very clear. with murphy i can belive he will just try to save his own skin. but man hes being ruthless, was that necessary? overall still liking this season better than last. 

Clarke will apparently kill anyone or do anything for Madi. Remember when the show started and Bellamy was like that about his sister? Guess that stupid time jump changed it all. I don’t buy into Bellamy’s betrayal so the whole storyline falls flat. And I know I’m an odd one, as an Octavia fan, but I’m honestly ready for her to kill everyone but Wonkru and just be done with it. I’m disappointed in Indra but could care less if Gaia bites it. 

The Dark Year reappeared during the gang fight. Who could tell who was fighting who? Who really knows any of these characters anyway? Who really cares? My personal answers: Couldn’t tell, I don’t, don’t care. 

I’m ready for Abby to die. She has gone from insufferable to annoying but background noise back to insufferable.  I have a sudden urge to smack her in the mouth when she speaks. 

How many of the actual 100 are even left now? I could try to count but this show has pushed me far into don’t give a crapville.

• Love 2

No, Abby is the best character of the moment, because she is interesting. I don't like her either, but I can clearly see her story, her inner struggle, her flaws and what she is trying to do. I can't really do that with most main characters. Bellamy, Clarke, Octavia, Indra, Raven, they just fight with each other for a throne. Sometimes one side has the upper hand, sometimes another. That's just boring. What's interesting are characters with plans and convictions, like Monty, Kane, probably even Dioza and McCreary (though here it could be that it's the first time we are seeing them fight and scheme).

They kinda botched the 6-year jump. While relations have changed, they tried to introduce mysteries in not telling us how. Mentioning the dark year over and over again without us knowing what it is is faux suspense. It's a trick. They'll get a big reveal, but probably on a rewatch we will be asking ourselves "why?" and "that doesn't make sense". And the repetition will get on our nerves more than it already does... And I don't think the characters have changed all that much in 6 years. They should have learned a lot, instead they seem to do the same mistakes as before, just in different constellations of who likes who... That's not real character growth.

• Love 2

I was wondering about Dyoza telling Mcreary (?) about the baby... I thought she told Abby she'd been pregnant for a hundred years and a few (don't recall) months, thereby implying she got pregnant before she was imprisoned/put aboard the mining ship? And all we've seen and heard so far implies that the prisoners didn't rise up (under Diyoza?) until after the ship had already left and therefore after she'd been in stasis? So, is it really his baby or was she simply saying that to stun him and get the upperhand?

3 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

Lol how did Octagon recover that quickly?

dialyse... there were two whole scenes about it with Jackson, Bell and Indra