Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09. Only Human 2018.06.20.

Okay, Dr. Willis.  I know where Los Angeles is.  I know where Chino is.  Do you think you could have found time to shave in the car on the way before putting on the dress uniform?

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at LAFD Command Center when Rox called in at the beginning of her shift and told them she needed several hours off to go attend a funeral of a guy who was in the Army with her boyfriend-to-be's brother. 

See you later, Dad Willis.  You will not be missed. 

I was touched by the scene between Dr. Rorish and CancerBoy's dad.  Explanations don't come easily in those situations.

• Love 2

I had a feeling CancerBoy was going to die but that was still sad. 

However, I must not have been paying attention because what happened with the lung?  I thought they were putting it into his body, but was it the black woman's body instead? 

I'm glad that Willis at least knows what happened with his brother.  I was actually starting to like the curmudgeonly Dad--that is, until he slapped his son--so now I won't miss him.  I hope Willis can move on from him, but I hope he and the EMT lady just remain friends.   Speaking of her, she adds absolutely nothing to the show and I don't even know why they brought the actress on.    

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Do you think you could have found time to shave in the car on the way before putting on the dress uniform?

100% agree on this.  NO WAY would a colonel (or any member of the military) show up in uniform unshaven at a military funeral , no matter how sad or depressed he is.  Proper wearing of the uniform, including personal grooming, is drummed into you from Day 1.  Not shaving (absent a medical reason) is disrespectful to the uniform, to your fellow members of the military, and to the dead person you're supposedly honoring.   If you're so broken up that you can't shave, wear civilian clothes or stay home.

Also, the "intelligence was bad and we accidentally bombed/shot/blew up a bunch of kids" is SO overdone in Hollywood.  Yes, those things occasionally happen (despite diligent efforts to avoid them).  But it seems to happen in Hollywood every time there is a military story.  I wish they could have come up with something more unusual . . . but this show never seems to shy away from taking the easy way out.

The cancer kid story was predictable.  Showing the lungs being transplanted (into the woman, we presume) was so lame.  I did feel bad for the dad and actually sympathized a bit with his melodrama from last week.  As an aside, what is it with the ONLY people in the area who need a transplant who are a perfect match are always at this hospital and always able to see each other??  (Or was that Chicago Med that had that story line as well?  Can't imagine it happening in real life).

Edited by dogdays2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dogdays2 said:

(Or was that Chicago Med that had that story line as well?  Can't imagine it happening in real life).

That's a staple in medical drama, so it's going to keep popping up in those types of shows.

What the hell is Ariel's job? Is she still suspended from school (isn't that why Leanne made her be a candy striper in the first place? is it still the same week? or does every hospital scene happen in the afternoon?)? Why is she always wandering around the ER? Why is she organizing medical supplies or whatever she was doing?

What are the odds that the top two people on the transplant list are in the same hospital at the same time and also both blood/tissue matches to the one donor available (especially being of different ethnic backgrounds)?

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

What are the odds that the top two people on the transplant list are in the same hospital at the same time and also both blood/tissue matches to the one donor available (especially being of different ethnic backgrounds)?

If the lungs were nearing their sell-by date, they would pick the highest matching person on the list within rapid reach.  So maybe #200 on the list was the only person close enough by being right in the building.  I do think it unlikely that such a person would just happen to be right there in the next bed!  Maybe they sent out a come-hither call to them and they rushed in?

• Love 2

Does this hospital only have two surgeons in the whole place? Have they never heard of surgical specialties? The general surgeon and the guy who's been a surgical resident for five minutes do lung transplants?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

If the lungs were nearing their sell-by date, they would pick the highest matching person on the list within rapid reach.  So maybe #200 on the list was the only person close enough by being right in the building.  I do think it unlikely that such a person would just happen to be right there in the next bed!  Maybe they sent out a come-hither call to them and they rushed in?

Well, they did tell the woman she'd been bumped from #1 to #2 but I guess that could mean in the region. Still unlikely.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Xantar said:

Hey where was Entitled Camera Douche Bro?

... Just kidding! I don't care what's going on with him as long as he's not on my screen. 

lol...I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. (And I just watched the episode an hour ago.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, rhys said:

Seems odd that Max with his compromised health issues would be a candidate to receive transplanted lungs.

Yes, if he was being treated in the oncology department when they met that means that his cancer was not in remission. I can't imagine a set of lungs being given away to him. My girlfriend killed her kidneys by uncontrolled diabetes. She is not getting a new set of kidneys any time soon.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

lol...I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. (And I just watched the episode an hour ago.)

Understandable given that he's either he's completely useless or gets in people's way by shoving his camera in their faces.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Okay, Dr. Willis.  I know where Los Angeles is.  I know where Chino is.  Do you think you could have found time to shave in the car on the way before putting on the dress uniform?

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at LAFD Command Center when Rox called in at the beginning of her shift and told them she needed several hours off to go attend a funeral of a guy who was in the Army with her boyfriend-to-be's brother. 

See you later, Dad Willis.  You will not be missed. 

I was touched by the scene between Dr. Rorish and CancerBoy's dad.  Explanations don't come easily in those situations.

By the end of the first episode when we "met" the dad (was that two prior to this one?) I was wondering if we were going to end up seeing not the kids together, but Dr Ro and the dad.

Watching that scene (and Ariel seeing through the window) does make me wonder if that may be the direction that whole storyline that began with Max is really going to go.

Kind of coming full circle and Leanne ending the season (and the show, unless the save Code Black efforts work) with happiness after how she basically came into Season 1 being introduced maybe?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Who in hell thinks this is worth saving?!??

The people who comment on their facebook page, apparently. They all seem to think it's the best show ever made and every post has hundreds of comments whining about it being cancelled and maybe one or two comments about the actual episode.

48 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Who in hell thinks this is worth saving?!??

Maybe people who don't care much about the writing.  Some of the actors are OK. 

• Love 1

1/3 of an episode on Rob Lowe. They are beating me to death with his character. He is so perfect and such a superhero that he can't have a conversation with someone without saving his life. Every single scene with him is saving someone from death, being the bestest friend, best doctor, best soldier. One of the weaknesses of this show was to make him a star and take that time away from what the others.

I won't even try to go into the weekly superduper hyper drama of the cancer victim but the sad manipulative music and constant crying made sure that I knew that this crap is sad.

One of my favourite tropes is of the constant "we don't have time, we have to do (insert surgery) it here right now". Every single episode has at least one of these cringy moments. Go ahead open that chest in the ER what can go wrong.

I am starting to believe that this show was supposed to be called "Code Black Under the Dome".

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, juno said:

One of my favourite tropes is of the constant "we don't have time, we have to do (insert surgery) it here right now". Every single episode has at least one of these cringy moments. Go ahead open that chest in the ER what can go wrong.

THERE'S NO TIME! THIS PATIENT IS GOING TO DIE!!! LET'S SPEND SEVERAL MINUTES ARGUING ABOUT IT!!!

-----

Still not clear on exactly why Rob Lowe's dad disowned him at the end.

• Love 1

Since he is also a military guy, my guess is that he went through something similar in his career, and has choked his own PTSD down for decades, using the "bad things happen in war and you just have to move on" defense.  He's mad at Jr. because he's not doing the same thing.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Still not clear on exactly why Rob Lowe's dad disowned him at the end.

What's also still unclear is why he didn't slap the teeth out of his head in return!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, juno said:

1/3 of an episode on Rob Lowe. They are beating me to death with his character. He is so perfect and such a superhero that he can't have a conversation with someone without saving his life. Every single scene with him is saving someone from death, being the bestest friend, best doctor, best soldier. One of the weaknesses of this show was to make him a star and take that time away from what the others.

I won't even try to go into the weekly superduper hyper drama of the cancer victim but the sad manipulative music and constant crying made sure that I knew that this crap is sad.

I am starting to believe that this show was supposed to be called "Code Black Under the Dome".

Yeah, his character just sort of took over once the show underwent cast changes and exits.

22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I apologize for not searching this forum with a fine-toothed comb, but I did search for a few keywords and still haven't found the answer.

Why is this guy allowed to film in the ER anyway?  Usually, we have to get a release for any kind of audio, video, or photographic documentation being done prior to it being done.  He's filming as soon as patients come in.  I'm not sure how I missed this, but being more of a Rorish/MGH fan, I probably was only half-way paying attention to his scenes and doing some sort of hurricane preparedness something-or-other instead at the time.  

Can we just get a spin-off with Dr. Rorish?  

10 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

I apologize for not searching this forum with a fine-toothed comb, but I did search for a few keywords and still haven't found the answer.

Why is this guy allowed to film in the ER anyway?  Usually, we have to get a release for any kind of audio, video, or photographic documentation being done prior to it being done.  He's filming as soon as patients come in.  I'm not sure how I missed this, but being more of a Rorish/MGH fan, I probably was only half-way paying attention to his scenes and doing some sort of hurricane preparedness something-or-other instead at the time.  

I think the closest they've gotten to explaining anything along those lines is having him ask a patient to sign a release after the fact, which....I personally would be pissed off if I found out my treatment was filmed, even if I was given the opportunity to say no, you can't use it. Also it seems like it would be a huge violation of HIPAA laws. What happens to those recordings he doesn't get permission to use?

I know this show is based on an actual documentary and that's where this character comes from, but it still seems a little too unlikely that he'd be able to play both intern (resident? I don't remember) and cameraman at the same time. I certainly would be asking for another doctor if the person sent to treat me was being distracted by trying to get the right camera angle (never mind that I would never in a million years allow him to film me, assuming I was at all in a state to say no). I found one article that said he extended his rotation to film the documentary footage; it's not clear if he was actually treating patients at the same time.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I personally would be pissed off if I found out my treatment was filmed, even if I was given the opportunity to say no, you can't use it.

After a number of surgeries performed on me (25+ years ago), I discovered that without my permission, a large series of still photographs had been taken of the operations, for use as teaching aids.  I told the surgeon that I was OK with it, but that I required copies of all the photographs.  He immediately agreed.  The next time I saw him, he informed me that I really didn't want to see them because they were "too gruesome" for me.  When I insisted, he suddenly claimed that all the negatives, along with all the prints, had "been lost."

• Love 2

I found this episode to be quite heartfelt, and I was as shocked as Willis by his father first slapping him and then disowning him. 

I like how Ros is drawn to Willis but yet so far making the mature choice to remain a supportive friend while Willis works out his issues. That's the kind of romantic storyline that I wish we'd see more often. (Remember Doug biding his time with Carol on ER while he cleaned up his act? Swoon.)

Just an all around good episode that will make me sorry to see this show go. The show runners are beginning to right the ship, but it's apparently too late.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, SterlingSilver36 said:

The show runners are beginning to right the ship, but it's apparently too late.

I think that about sums it up.  Too bad because it could have been a much better show. 

• Love 1
On 6/21/2018 at 2:34 AM, Dowel Jones said:

They said they had just finished their night shift.  

I will miss this show, flaws and all. 

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Too bad because it could have been a much better show. 

It was a much better show.  Now, it's dying from massive, self-inflicted wounds.

• Love 6

Anyone remember when this show was about the actual medicine and, you know, the code black in the ER? Apparently there is no such thing as a code black anymore and surgeons just send admitted patients from surgery down to the ER because they're running out of room...

The only scene I liked was Rorish with the father of the dead boy. Totally could see the show wanting to ship them.

Did the actor who plays Willis demand a spinoff and was instead given his own story within the show, separate from the other characters? I used to like him, before he became the doctor aboard the ambulance. Now I can barely stand his scenes. His partner annoys me. On a totally superficial note, I'm curious as to her hair products seeing as she'd just finished a nightshift, drove all the way from LA to Chino, sat through a funeral and memorial service,  drove all around Chino to find a motel, saved a self-inflicted gunshot victim and drove all the way to the nearest hospital and then later back to LA and her hair was still perfect!

• Love 1

I like how Ros is drawn to Willis but yet so far making the mature choice to remain a supportive friend while Willis works out his issues. That's the kind of romantic storyline that I wish we'd see more often. (Remember Doug biding his time with Carol on ER while he cleaned up his act? Swoon.)

Me too. On most shows people just look at each other and then hop into bed.  It hasn't been the most perfect "slow burn" will they or won't they, but I appreciate them working together and getting to know each other.

OT for just 30 seconds - Doug and Carol ... remember how she went on a date, said goodnight to him at her front door, and then Doug was right there?  Swoon indeed. Good times and great show (until the last few seasons).