Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Die Glocke

OK, Cassie mowing down Nazis in a bustier was gratuitous fan service to end all gratuitous fan service, but damn, if Amanda Schull didn't pull it off!

Of course, an episode involving Nazis and Hitler was going to end with Jennifer blowing them all up.  Was there any other way to end it?!

I wonder what Deacon and Jones got cooked-up for Miss Olivia?

• Love 10
(edited)

Well this show has a new theme song.  Cassie mowing down a bunch of Nazi’s in fetish fear to music no less was fan service but it worked.  

I know every time travel show eventually goes to Nazi Germany and talks about killing Hitler but has any actually done it?  Jennifer’s line I think it was “You want to save Hitler?  That’s the opposite of what you do with a time machine” was hilarious.   I also liked that since they were in France there were callbacks to her time as a French singer.

Even bad guy Deacon doesn’t want to be mistaken for a Nazi.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

OK, Cassie mowing down Nazis in a bustier was gratuitous fan service to end all gratuitous fan service, but damn, if Amanda Schull didn't pull it off!

I actually hated that part. It felt completely ridiculous. She could've distracted them by just showing up in a ball gown. And why risk taking so much time to find the outfit, change clothes, and get back down to that area with the bell? It totally took me out of the story, and I was very disappointed in 12 Monkeys for doing that. Also, after the western ep, I was starting to roll my eyes at how every outfit they steal from someone else fits them perfectly.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Jennifer’s line I think it was “You want to save Hitler?  That’s the opposite of what you do with a time machine” was hilarious.

I loved that, too. 

26 minutes ago, CrystalMoon said:

I actually hated that part. It felt completely ridiculous. She could've distracted them by just showing up in a ball gown. And why risk taking so much time to find the outfit, change clothes, and get back down to that area with the bell? It totally took me out of the story, and I was very disappointed in 12 Monkeys for doing that. Also, after the western ep, I was starting to roll my eyes at how every outfit they steal from someone else fits them perfectly.

Plus one on all of this. 

1 hour ago, CrystalMoon said:

It's a syfy show about time travel and a crazy cult that wants to end time, and that takes you out of the story?

Yes, their amazing horsemanship, marksmanship and clothes are all pretty silly. But does it matter? I'm eternally great full that the beautiful women on this show keep finding great fitting clothes.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I love that the women are so badass.

LOL at Jennifer singing "U + UR Hand" to Nazis and blowing up Hitler. Of course Himmler stepped in and history didn't change much which seems about right.

"I can't stand you, but I don't hate you." Aww, Cole and Deacon. 

Jones reading at the end made me sad; I feel like that might be the last time the family is all together. I'm starting to see how we get to Future Asshole Cole. 

Loving this season so much. 

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, thecdn said:

It's a syfy show about time travel and a crazy cult that wants to end time, and that takes you out of the story?

Yes, of course. Why would I be pulled out of a story about time travel and crazy cults when that is the show I'm watching? I've already signed on for the 12 Monkey's world. The reason this particular detail didn't work for me, and I mean, it really didn't work, was because Team Splinter has generally been very pragmatic when it comes to finishing a mission. For Cassie to take the time to change into a crazy outfit like that (And it would've taken a while too. That's not just something you throw on.) just to be a distraction seemed exceedingly silly. It felt like male writers pandering to male viewers to me. Sorry, but that's how it felt as I watched it.

• Love 5
(edited)

I am a female and I thought that scene was incredibly funny and fit very well with the song.  A woman singing an anti patriarchy song to Hitler with another in fetish gear  killing a bunch of nazi’s with a machine gun. I don’t think I have ever cheered so loud at a tv show.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Applause 1
  • Love 16
36 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am a female and I thought that scene was incredibly funny and fit very well with the song.  A woman singing an anti patriarchy song to Hitler with another in fetish gear  killing a bunch of nazi’s with a machine gun. I don’t think I have ever cheered so loud at a tv show.

17 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Same here. Cassie in lingerie mowing down Nazis while Jennifer sings U + Ur Hand was really fun to watch. Must find gifs...

Oh well, maybe it just bothered me. No worries.

(edited)
24 minutes ago, bethy said:

It wasn’t just you. But to each their own. :)

You guys are perfectly correct that it was pointless and ridiculous, besides funny. But as a guy do you think I can do anything but cheer loudly to Amanda Schull in that outfit?!?!

Edited by thecdn
  • Love 2
(edited)

Of course it was pointless and ridiculous but it was the best kind of pointless and ridiculous and I have watched it a dozen times now and I laugh every time.  "I'm not here for your entertainment. You don't really want to mess with me tonight."  I want to see a fanvid of the show made with that song now.    I just think the entire scene worked on such a visceral level that I just can't stop watching it.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

My favorite scene was Jones when she produced the deed and just played into that Nazi's ambitions and then right after they are let in, her "holy shit" moment with Cassie...loved it.  She used her angry Season 1 Jones voice on him....

• Love 2

Holy shit indeed.

That opening scene was brutal. 

I fast forwarded the dominatrix stuff because I found it stupid gratitious. And I don't like Pink nor any of her songs. So I'm in the nay camp on that one, sorry.

The rest of the episode was batshit insanity at its finest.

Seriously, French has more then one word. At least teach Cole the swear words.

Loved the pow wow at the end. Most of all.

Is it me or does the weapon resemble a mask?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, bethy said:

When was that meeting at the end? There’s electricity and a bartender? Are they still in 1941? At the Emerson? But Adler is there? 

They splintered the whole facility right next to the Emerson. I guess it still had booze?

That was what I assumed, but then there was electricity and what looked like an actual bartender in the background. 

Maybe, though, they were using the generators they scrounged earlier and it was a random scientist in the background. :)

Jennifer is totally the best. I'll take her crazy one-liners over splattering people with machine guns any day.

I remain convinced that she will turn out to be Cole's mother.

On 6/23/2018 at 9:50 AM, CrystalMoon said:

I was distracted by the fact that she and Cole were on opposite sides of the room spraying bullets in the directions of each other.  That's just a recipe for someone to get killed by friendly fire and it strains my suspension of disbelief that they didn't.

I liked that they actually killed Hitler and it didn't change much in the end.  1941 is too late to kill Hitler anyway; WW2 was already in full swing.

I like that Jones' German heritage came in useful.

I wonder what a stupid bell is supposed to do.  I can't wait to find out.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Ray Adverb said:

I was distracted by the fact that she and Cole were on opposite sides of the room spraying bullets in the directions of each other.  That's just a recipe for someone to get killed by friendly fire and it strains my suspension of disbelief that they didn't.

That bugged me as well. I handwaved it by thinking that since Cole came in a side door, he was firing in a different direction than Cassie and was out of her line of fire. But it did look like they could easily have killed each other the way they were spraying bullets.

I liked that they actually killed Hitler and it didn't change much in the end.  1941 is too late to kill Hitler anyway; WW2 was already in full swing.

Me too! Loved that they went for it and killed Hitler. I bet the writers picked a later time period so they could do it without changing history very much.

• Love 1

I love that this show is so willing to walk the edge. Yeah, sometimes they end up falling off, but imo, it pays off more often than not. I thought this episode was super fun, despite agreeing that Cassie's dom outfit was kinda eye-rolley. It wasn't enough to hurt the whole episode for me. It also wasn't enough to distract me from the cross shooting as mentioned above. Now, that was stupid. 

Speaking of gratuitous, what was up with Jennifer's suddenly short skirt and thigh highs showing when she was entertaining? 

(edited)

Did anyone else notice that when Jennifer goes out to talk to Cole, she says, "Monsieur? Monsieur Morris Morrison?" LOL I love this running gag about his alter ego, which she made up initially but everyone uses.

Edited by CrystalMoon
  • Love 3

I was wondering how they'd get Cole to keep his face stubble going into a Nazi gala party.  He fit in perfectly.

So LOL at Jennifer singing Pink and the Nazi's liking it.  I thought she'd try to take the professional singer's place, but sing her own stuff.

YAY to blowing up Hitler, even if things didn't change much.  he still deserved it.  So if Himmel got in charge, did he commit suicide too?

Yeah, Cassie's outfit at the end was gratuitious, but hilarious.

More chuckling at the one nazi that lived, took the case, put in a fake bell, which Deacon chased down for Olivia, and then figured out the Scooby gang got it, so he helped them out.  I'm glad Cole went back for him.

Can't wait to see what Deacon and Jones are up to in going to Olivia.  I was thinking they'd go back to 1491 (or whatever the year was), believing it to be a one-way trip.  Maybe they think they can hijack Titan?

I did love Jones finally getting to go on a mission herself, and her German was immensely helpful.

• Love 1
(edited)

Cassie is right. Katarina got huge brass ones!

On 6/23/2018 at 1:58 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Cassie mowing down Nazis in a bustier was gratuitous fan service to end all gratuitous fan service, but damn...

But damn!

On 6/23/2018 at 9:50 AM, CrystalMoon said:

She could've distracted them by just showing up in a ball gown.

Modesty Blaise preferred to remove her top entirely and flash her boobs to distract her opponents.  The bustier wasn't all that radical.

On 6/26/2018 at 3:45 PM, cynic said:

Speaking of gratuitous, what was up with Jennifer's suddenly short skirt and thigh highs showing when she was entertaining? 

And singing that song while Cassie was firing an MP-40 in her underwear?  

Katarina: Miss Goines, you have no idea what impact that could have on the timeline!
Jennifer: "Pooop!"

I just love jennifer!  Can they spin off a separate show for her?  I feel the same way about pretty much all of them...  but Jennifer is the best!

Edited by Netfoot

This episode was both disturbing (I just watched the latest episode of The Handmaid's Tale so the parallels between Gilead and Hitler's world were hauntingly familiar) and hilarious. The gleeful look on both Jennifer's and Deacon's faces just before she pushed that button were priceless (and who can blame them? As Jennifer pointed out, that's EXACTLY what you do with a time machine!). I also loved the expression on Jennifer's face when Madame Magnifique said that JH Bond was a talentless whore and then smashed her record.

Jones was fearlessly badass when presenting those papers for the house. My reaction was the same as Cassie's.

But by far the best moment in the episode was Jones, Cole, Cassie, Jennifer, Deacon, and Adler having one last drink together (although I was questioning how Adler got there and why because they must have still been in 1940 due to Deacon's tether). Jones had a newspaper about Himmler taking power which made me think it was still 1940.

Years ago, I read an article where this musical theater geek put together songs from different shows (this was an actual article back in the olden days before listicles). The first time I heard the Hamilton soundtrack, I thought that The Story of Tonight was the prequel to Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (Les Misérables). They're both drinking songs but the first is before the battle and the second is after the battle. The drinking scene in this episode reminded me of that - one last drink together before even more people die.

Lyrics and youtube videos under the cut for anyone who's interested!

The Story of Tonight:

Spoiler

I may not live to see our glory
But I will gladly join the fight
And when our children tell our story
They'll tell the story of tonight

Let's have another round tonight

Raise a glass to freedom
Something they can never take away
No matter what they tell you
Raise a glass to the four of us
Tomorrow there'll be more of us
Telling the story of tonight

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables:

Spoiler

There's a grief that can't be spoken
There's a pain goes on and on
Empty chairs at empty tables
Now my friends are dead and gone

Here they talked of revolution
Here it was they lit the flame
Here they sang about tomorrow
And tomorrow never came

From the table in the corner
They could see a world reborn
And they rose with voices ringing
And I can hear them now
The very words that they had sung
Became their last communion
On the lonely barricades at dawn

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me
That I live and you are gone
There's a grief that can't be spoken
There's a pain goes on and on

Phantom faces at the window
Phantom shadows on the floor
Where my friends will meet no more

Oh my friends, my friends, don't ask me
What your sacrifice was for
Where my friends will sing no more

On 6/27/2018 at 10:47 PM, Netfoot said:

Katarina: Miss Goines, you have no idea what impact that could have on the timeline!

I think she said "boop!" but either way it was hilarious.

If you'd told me back in season one that Deacon and his odd quasi-friendships with several main characters (particularly Jennifer, but Cole and Jones as well) would be one of my favorite parts of the final season, I don't think I would have believed it, yet here we are...

7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I listened again and heard "Poop!"  But you're correct either way was pure Jennifer.

8 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think she said "boop!" but either way it was hilarious.

If you'd told me back in season one that Deacon and his odd quasi-friendships with several main characters (particularly Jennifer, but Cole and Jones as well) would be one of my favorite parts of the final season, I don't think I would have believed it, yet here we are...

On 6/27/2018 at 10:47 PM, Netfoot said:

I just love jennifer!  Can they spin off a separate show for her?  I feel the same way about pretty much all of them...  but Jennifer is the best!

Strange.  The first time I watched I heard "Laurel" but then the second time she was clearly saying "Yanny".

I liked that they were in a foreign country and people were actually speaking the native languages of that country.  Movies and TV always have people in every part of the world inexplicably speaking English.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Ray Adverb said:

I liked that they were in a foreign country and people were actually speaking the native languages of that country.  Movies and TV always have people in every part of the world inexplicably speaking English.

Well Barbara Sukowa is German how can you not have her speek German to a Nazi.  It would be an unforgivable sin.    Emily Hampshire is Canadian so she might actually speek French but don’t quote me on that one.  

3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Emily Hampshire is Canadian so she might actually speek French but don’t quote me on that one.  

Emily is from Montreal, which makes it extremely likely that she knows French. 

• Love 1

I loved hearing Jones and Jennifer show off their linguistic skills.

I was wondering why they didn't have Cassie speak French.  She spoke French in the Haiti episode. It didn't sound super fluent to my ears, but I wouldn't really know.  I was wondering if Cassie was supposed to be fluent and the actress just isn't or if the character was supposed to be at that level or if I just have the wrong impression completely.  

I am glad we never got to hear Cassie's abysmal French ever again. Because that's the only word that ever comes to mind when watching that scene.

Loved the linguistics too. It's generally a tv show brownie point for me.