Type keyword(s) to search

The Mysteries Of Laura - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I had a feeling it was going to turn out to be the brother from the very beginning. There's kind of a pattern in these "mysteries" as they go through a list of suspects that progresses from the beginning to the end and it always tends to circle back to the first person they questioned and/or the witness or family member that was never considered a suspect in the first place but was interviewed for background info. 

So, the "mysteries" themselves are pretty lightweight, of the basic Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew variety. The chemistry between the players is what makes the show so charming and watchable.

But good grief, Laura had no idea how to dress for a rave. Who did she think she was kidding with those Chrissy Snow pigtails?

• Love 1

OK, good.

Hey, it has likable actors and it's not a muddy dystopian grand guignol mess or the continuing story of dimwitted grown humans circling moodily around their dusty gonads. At this point, that makes it groundbreaking television.

• Love 5

Laura (Debra Messing) and the team clash with a meddlesome amateur detective while tracking down a young filmmaker's killer. Melissa Joan Hart guest stars as an online radio host named KC Moss.

As usual, Sabrina the Now-Middle-Aged Witch causes trouble while getting into mischief.
  • Love 1

I really liked Sabrina the Teenage Witch in the first couple of seasons but not once she went to college.  I thought she was pretty good in this.

I thought at first this was the season finale but there is one more episode so Jake will have time to recover. 

They are really fleshing out the character of Frankie - did we already know that her husband was killed in the line of duty?  Did we even know she was a widow?

I wonder if Meredith is coming back next season - I read (somewhere) that the actress was in a pilot for a new show but perhaps she was already under contract for this show if it got renewed.  And they really underuse Laz Alonzo.

Anyhow, not a bad episode.

• Love 1

Laura figured out Frankie had lost her husband in the first or second episode after she had been introduced.  Frankie asked her to not to bring it up with the others.  

Not sure how I feel about Jake being shot.  One of the aspects I really enjoy about this show is the portrayal of divorced parents still raising children together but being their own entity.  Also, I really like Tony, so I don't want to see him and Laura break things off because she has unresolved feelings for Jake.  They have done such a good job of showing her moving on.  

• Love 3

As Jake (Josh Lucas) lies in critical condition, Laura (Debra Messing) and the team hunt his shooter, an assailant armed with a high-tech new weapon.

I really liked this episode. Does that mean I should start watching soap operas?
  • Love 1

Awe Tony. I thought this might be the end of him and Laura, but I'm glad there's still a chance that he'll be back. Although if what I've read about the renewal is right, he might not be. Apparently they're retooling the show and it's supposed to focus more on the cases rather than Laura's home life, which I think would be a mistake. I like this show for the cast of characters, not the crime solving, that's just how the characters show off their badassness. 

Some of this episode I... "cringed" is too harsh a word, but I don't know what else I'd use... at, such as all the times Laura referred to Jake as her husband and Soto's department romance question timing. But overall I enjoyed this episode, despite figuring Jake would be fine, as that'd make the show too dramatic this soon in its run. 

• Love 1
(edited)

...Apparently they're retooling the show and it's supposed to focus more on the cases rather than Laura's home life, which I think would be a mistake. I like this show for the cast of characters, not the crime solving, that's just how the characters show off their badassness...

But haven't they already done this to positive effect? I mean less annoying twins, more COTW.

...Some of this episode I... "cringed" is too harsh a word, but I don't know what else I'd use... at, such as all the times Laura referred to Jake as her husband and Soto's department romance question timing....

Me too. "Cringe" is it. That's what I meant by "soap opera" above. Jake's memory loss too. I'm not sure which is worse: using it as a plot device or a PSA for TBI.

...But overall I enjoyed this episode, despite figuring Jake would be fine, as that'd make the show too dramatic this soon in its run...

Unless they do use it for a half season arc of a PSA on TBI and/or plot device (of him not remembering the ILYs).

Anyway, with Selfie, Battle Creek, and Forever being canceled, I'm glad this show survived to see another season. It had a pretty ghastly pilot. Must be politics, because I don't think it was ratings.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
(edited)

Why, Laura. Why? Why do you still have feelings for Jake? The show made it very clear throughout the entire season that Laura maintained a cordial relationship with Jake because he was her boss and her children's father, but she was completely over him. Laura never seemed confused about her feelings, except for a recent episode when she got upset about Jake bringing the FBI lady around the boys. But I can assume that was put in as build-up for this episode.

--Laura had enough perspective on her marriage to say to Jake several times that yes, they had fun early on in their marriage, but he ultimately proved to be a womanizing jerk who treated her like shit, and she realizes now that she deserves better and doesn't want Jake back. And Jake has been dating throughout this season even though he supposedly still loves Laura and wants her back. He had sex on her couch! So what would be different if they got back together?

--Please, show, don't make Laura stupid enough to take Jake back. And poor Tony--I've liked him since Laura chased him down in his food truck. Wise up, girl.

--And people can have temporary confusion or memory loss as a result of the medications they're receiving or if they suffered significant head trauma. It doesn't sound as dramatic as Peter's amnesia in "While You Were Sleeping," for example--a movie I loved, by the way.

ETA: I did like Josh Lucas's performance this episode. He toned the charm, which made him more likable.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

--And people can have temporary confusion or memory loss as a result of the medications they're receiving or if they suffered significant head trauma. It doesn't sound as dramatic as Peter's amnesia in "While You Were Sleeping," for example--a movie I loved, by the way.

What I did love was that her dad is on Team Laura's Self Determination now, and interrupted her before she did anything irreparable to point out that Jake wasn't lucid when he told her he wanted to try again and made promises.

• Love 2

Glad I'm not the only one who isn't interested in seeing Laura and Jake get back together.  I just adore Tony, and she needs to stick with him.  Let Jake ride off into the sunset with his girlfriend. 

I thought it was cute that Soto was so clueless that the Meredith was into him.  Loved how she got her point across.  While we were watching, my dh actually said out loud to her - you gotta be more direct than that!  And she was. 

This isn't the best written show, but we watch because we enjoy the characters so much.  Glad it's coming back.

• Love 2

Why, Laura. Why? Why do you still have feelings for Jake? The show made it very clear throughout the entire season that Laura maintained a cordial relationship with Jake because he was her boss and her children's father, but she was completely over him. Laura never seemed confused about her feelings, except for a recent episode when she got upset about Jake bringing the FBI lady around the boys. But I can assume that was put in as build-up for this episode.

For the last minute, putting one half of the couple in danger so feelings magically emerge cliche.

But haven't they already done this to positive effect? I mean less annoying twins, more COTW.

But wasn't that the whole point of the series?  Otherwise you'd just have Debra messing in yet another procedural.

• Love 3

But wasn't that the whole point of the series?  Otherwise you'd just have Debra messing in yet another procedural.

I like seeing her Laura at home, with her messy house and out-of-control kids. But the writing (and execution) of those scenes could be better.

--I did like the hospital scene when the babysitter kept the kids in check, even as they sat next to their (possibly) dying father.

And please stop making Laura's hair look perfect all of the time. I appreciate that she doesn't dress like a runway model, but does she stop at the salon every morning before work for a cut and color?

• Love 3

I like seeing her Laura at home, with her messy house and out-of-control kids. But the writing (and execution) of those scenes could be better.

Yeah, it was messy and I could see why they would want to move on from that, but trying to make it more procedural wouldn't be the way to go, it would just be yet another procedural.

• Love 1

So did the guy who shot Jake intend to shoot someone? I guess he knew that the only two other people there wouldn't report him because then they wouldn't get the other $10,000, and I guess he knew there was no security camera. So was he just threatening them and didn't see Jake until Jake popped up to be a hero and then, what, he decides to shoot him instead of running? Criminals aren't very good at weighing costs and benefits of choices, I guess.

Yeah, it was messy and I could see why they would want to move on from that, but trying to make it more procedural wouldn't be the way to go, it would just be yet another procedural.

I don't think they have to completely sideline her family, but I could use a little less o look - the competent professional woman, how scatterbrained and daffy she is at home!

Glad I'm not the only one who isn't interested in seeing Laura and Jake get back together.  I just adore Tony, and she needs to stick with him.  Let Jake ride off into the sunset with his girlfriend. 

Speaking of his girlfriend, how crappy for her. Also he *just* introduced her to the boys as his serious girlfriend, but he's still sniffing around his ex. I like him enough as the Captain and his interactions with the others, but he really is a shit romantic partner. 

ps. Where was she during all this hospital stuff?

Why, Laura. Why? Why do you still have feelings for Jake? The show made it very clear throughout the entire season that Laura maintained a cordial relationship with Jake because he was her boss and her children's father, but she was completely over him. Laura never seemed confused about her feelings, except for a recent episode when she got upset about Jake bringing the FBI lady around the boys. But I can assume that was put in as build-up for this episode.

I can understand her confused feelings in the sense that she probably didn't stop loving Jake just because he's a womanizing jerk. The hurt from his betrayal by cheating would help her bury her feelings, but I don't think she has really dealt with what happens in this sort of situation where his life is at stake. She didn't straight out say she was in love with him, she said still loves him a "little". He's the father of her children and this is a traumatic event, it shook things loose. Plus he's actively emotionally manipulating her. I like that she was upfront with Tony right away, and an adult about it though. I really hope they go with the novel idea (for TV) of not going back. If that's what the writers want though, Jake has a long way to go to measure up to Tony (or bringing Tony down, which I hope they don't do).

So did the guy who shot Jake intend to shoot someone? I guess he knew that the only two other people there wouldn't report him because then they wouldn't get the other $10,000, and I guess he knew there was no security camera. So was he just threatening them and didn't see Jake until Jake popped up to be a hero and then, what, he decides to shoot him instead of running? Criminals aren't very good at weighing costs and benefits of choices, I guess.

I was confused by this too. I figure he was startled by the girlfriend coming in, and then again when a cop popped out of nowhere. But why was he staging a robbery anyways when he was trying to intimidate the guy into doing something for him? Meh.

--I did like the hospital scene when the babysitter kept the kids in check, even as they sat next to their (possibly) dying father.

Ha! Yes! I also liked that they managed to tie in a call back to Senor Softie, the ice cream truck Laura hates. That was what the nanny was threatening to take away if they didn't behave. 

• Love 1

I don't think they have to completely sideline her family, but I could use a little less o look - the competent professional woman, how scatterbrained and daffy she is at home!

It's the way this whole 'retooling' sounds like, trying to make it more procedural than it already is.

• Love 1

But why was he staging a robbery anyways when he was trying to intimidate the guy into doing something for him? Meh.

I don't think he was staging a robbery - he was  there with the gun to intimidate the genius into going through with the deal.  Jake just interpreted it as an attempted robbery. 

I have always disliked Jake trying to get Laura back - she is trying to move on and he keeps trying to hold her back, all the while moving on in his life.  I really hope she doesn't go back to him and keeps Tony as the boyfriend.

When I heard about the retooling I really did think Jake was going to die so they could make it something different next season.  I don't care if they dial back her personal life a little bit but, as said above, it would just be another procedural then.

I loved Meredith kissing Billy! And loved his bewildered reaction and Frankie laughing at him.

Also liked Max telling the FBI guy that he works there: "I have a desk and everything".

I am glad it got picked up even if for only another 13 episodes; it could easily lead to a pickup for the whole season.

• Love 1
(edited)

Apparently they're retooling the show and it's supposed to focus more on the cases rather than Laura's home life, which I think would be a mistake.

I agree with Shapeshifter - they seem to have already moved in that direction. The original opening title sequence played up the "harried mom" aspect of her character, trying to juggle being a busy mom with being a police detective. They dropped that opener very early on and really pulled back on the kids. And I'm fine with it. They seemed to have figured out that wasn't working and they had better stories going on in the precinct itself. At this point I don't know how much more re-tooling they could do without writing the kids out altogether.

I thought this was a pretty good finale if a bit soap-ish, but I figured the woman with the stroller was the culprit the minute they showed her. It was just too obvious, a woman pushing a baby stroller into the office of a car wash run by gang members?!?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
(edited)

I mean- Tony is seriously perfect.  Like, beyond perfect.  Breaking them up (and going for Laura/Jake redux) might actually make me stop watching.

The thing that made this stand out from other procedurals for me, was how they were portraying the divorce situation.  She was a mother with a job moving on from this sad thing that happens to so many people.  I liked it because her romance was a bit to the side- where it is irl for many women, but it was a well developed, responsible relationship.  They talked to each other, there were not any dramatics, just two people falling for one another.  It was nice.

I like Jake when he is being a good dad and a good boss- not a lovelorn puppy trying to win her affections back.  I thought for a second last week they might go that route with Frankie and him, but I doubt that now.

I just don't want Tony to go...but if he does, please let it be because Laura decides she is just not ready yet.  Not because she is considering Jake.

Edited by gik910
  • Love 3

I mean- Tony is seriously perfect.  Like, beyond perfect.  Breaking them up (and going for Laura/Jake redux) might actually make me stop watching.

I just don't want Tony to go...but if he does, please let it be because Laura decides she is just not ready yet.  Not because she is considering Jake.

Absolutely agree with everything you said, but these two things specifically I want to expand on. First the latter comment, if that's what they plan on doing I 100% hope it's for that reason rather than anything else. Worst case scenario would be that it's because of something Tony did (in a bad way) that leads her back to Jake. 

Speaking of Tony doing something bad, you're right about the "beyond perfect"-ness of Tony now, but he didn't start that way. When we met him he had a bit of a temper, his first lines were yelled at Laura. This last episode Laura pointed out how perfect/great Tony is, and he's done everything well and maturely, but I hope they do explore him getting frustrated, if anything, about Jake manipulating Laura's feelings. Also, they showed Tony as vulnerable this episode, when he told her to taste the food he brought, so I though he'd look more disappointed at her "I've never considered introducing you to the boys" outburst. Instead, he kind of didn't react, the actor is good, so I figure the lack of reaction was on purpose, but I am curious what will get Tony to react the way he did when we first met him. 

• Love 1

Speaking of Tony doing something bad, you're right about the "beyond perfect"-ness of Tony now, but he didn't start that way. When we met him he had a bit of a temper, his first lines were yelled at Laura. This last episode Laura pointed out how perfect/great Tony is, and he's done everything well and maturely, but I hope they do explore him getting frustrated, if anything, about Jake manipulating Laura's feelings. Also, they showed Tony as vulnerable this episode, when he told her to taste the food he brought, so I though he'd look more disappointed at her "I've never considered introducing you to the boys" outburst. Instead, he kind of didn't react, the actor is good, so I figure the lack of reaction was on purpose, but I am curious what will get Tony to react the way he did when we first met him.

I would love to see Tony developed more- that was really the only thing I did not like about their romance.  Specifically, about the stuff you mentioned.  I thought I saw a flash of hurt when she made the comment about the boys- but I think it was a deliberate choice on the actor/directors part to not have him react.  I think the character gets that Laura wants to move slowly- he is letting her set the pace.  I would love to see him voice his concerns about Jake too!

So Jake (Josh Lucas) is moonlighting as the voiceover for the Home Depot commercials that are airing with the 13 Aquarius episodes NBC has put online for 4 weeks only. Doesn't this make NBC the biggest enabler ever for binging? And with the commercials playing over and over, it now feels like Jake is in my head saying: Go on. Just one more. You know you want to watch it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Josh Lucas replaced Ed Harris as the voice of Home Depot in 2013. He starred opposite Reese Witherspoon in a 2002 rom-com, Sweet Home Alabama, but his career never took off. He reminds me of Bradley Cooper or Paul Newman.

Jake may be a jerk, but Josh is getting a steady paycheck & network TV exposure. Hopefully it'll lead to something better.

Fun fact: Josh co-owns Filthy Food, which sells cocktail garnishes (think green olives stuffed with tiny little pickles).

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2
(edited)

NBC's 'The Mysteries of Laura' Renewed for Second Season

The Mysteries of Laura ranks as NBC's fourth-most-watched series, notching more than 8.2 million viewers a week. The second-season renewal is for 13 episodes and comes as the series will undergo a creative retooling with more of a procedural focus on the crime element and less of a focus on the mom story that made the show a critical punching bag.

‘Mysteries of Laura’ Adds ‘Law & Order’ Producer to Season 2

“The Mysteries of Laura” has added “Law & Order” alum Michael Smith as a co-exec producer, Variety has learned. Smith will provide both producer and director services to the second season of the Debra Messing dramedy on NBC.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for the info, editorgrrl. I recognized his voice right away, but had trouble finding proof that it was JL. I like to pretend it is actually Jake (not Josh) moonlighting on the commercials. Wait until Laura finds out! Heh.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I'm glad it was renewed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the law and order element added.

I love crime shows and loved Law and Order, but I kind of liked the silliness of the show. Idk. I will be watching though.

I hope they'll keep the silliness. I really enjoyed the relationships in the precinct. I even like the waspy blonde, which I really didn't expect to in her first episode. What I hope will get lost when they move into the new format is the creepy relationship with her ex. I like the actor who plays him, and I don't even particularly dislike the character, but it's just creepy that we're still getting the will they / won't they with the two of them. He's her ex-husband for a reason. He didn't want to be part of the marriage she agreed to, so she ended it legally. It's not a marital squabble or an invitation to woo her. 

Someone on this show apparently got it stuck in their head that watching him use their children and the fact that he's her boss (and that? would definitely not fly in the NYPD) to try to get her back was cute or romantic. I read it as disrespectful and stalkery, and it makes me think less of both of them.

• Love 3

I hope they'll keep the silliness. I really enjoyed the relationships in the precinct. I even like the waspy blonde, which I really didn't expect to in her first episode. What I hope will get lost when they move into the new format is the creepy relationship with her ex. I like the actor who plays him, and I don't even particularly dislike the character, but it's just creepy that we're still getting the will they / won't they with the two of them. He's her ex-husband for a reason. He didn't want to be part of the marriage she agreed to, so she ended it legally. It's not a marital squabble or an invitation to woo her.

Someone on this show apparently got it stuck in their head that watching him use their children and the fact that he's her boss (and that? would definitely not fly in the NYPD) to try to get her back was cute or romantic. I read it as disrespectful and stalkery, and it makes me think less of both of them.

I didn't think I'd like the blonde either, but I really did. I actually like all the characters,even Laura's ex. I agree I didn't find it romantic that he wanted her back and used his job to "watch" her.

I hope they don't change this show too much.

Laura and the team race against time when a boy from Tribeca is kidnapped; family secrets are uncovered as the investigation progresses.

Apparently they have added a new character and I'm not sure blonde girl is still here.

Ugh stop trying to make Callie Thorne happen. I used to think she was cute when she had that USA show, but she's gotten so shrill since then. I was really hoping the botched rescue was her ticket out of the precinct.

I felt the episode was lacking a little without Frankie. Jake isn't my favorite replacement for her. Especially since that means Bose and Soto are probably going to be partners now while Jake and Laura partner up. Then the romantic stuff too... Just way too damn much show.

• Love 4

Apparently they have added a new character and I'm not sure blonde girl is still here.

So their idea of a reboot is dumping in an annoying new boss?

Hopefully the evil boss will turn out to be not so bad and even bond with Laura.

Hopefully soon since 1 episode was already annoying enough.

Edited by Free
  • Love 3

So their idea of a reboot is dumping in an annoying new boss?

IKR? I didn't even notice it was Cally Thorne who I actually like. The boss was awful. 

I'm REALLY hoping that Laura and the boss become friends. The sanctimonious way Laura shrieked and berated her throughout the episode reminds me of why I hate Laura. She's a rude, know-it-all-- but then she ALWAYS turns out to be right. Convenient. Her other interactions were half-way decent tonight which is a step in the right direction.

I like Josh Lucas and he and Debra Messing have awesome chemistry, but are they really going to pair Laura with her cheating ex-husband? Seriously? I just can't root for that. 

Especially since that means Bose and Soto are probably going to be partners now while Jake and Laura partner up.

Awww! I like them together! I think they're super cute!

• Love 1

I'm really sorry that Frankie is gone - she and Meredith made a great team, possibly even better than Meredith and Billy.  But I also think Meredith and Billy are super cute together so it's not all bad.  And Max is still there - I like how he got upgraded in the interim so he can do accounting checks on people now. At least they mentioned Frankie, and it almost sounded like they left the door open for her to return.

I'm sure they'll get the new captain settled in so she's tolerable. 

I was wondering if TPB heard fans' complaints about Jake hitting on Laura while he was her boss (totally aside from his being her cheating ex-husband) and got him demoted to detective so they are equals.  Maybe TPB even drop in here:)

Re the CotW,  Mr.Trey was sure it was the boy's sister who was in on it.  I didn't think so and I guess we were both right since it was through her that the kidnappers found out about her parents being rich but she was innocent of being involved in the plot.

Anyhow, I thought it was a pretty good season opener.

The sanctimonious way Laura shrieked and berated her throughout the episode reminds me of why I hate Laura. She's a rude, know-it-all-- but then she ALWAYS turns out to be right. Convenient. Her other interactions were half-way decent tonight which is a step in the right direction.

It was way too obnoxious and this was her intro to the new season.

I think the writing has gotten better for this show.  But I kinda miss the goofy humor of the first season. 

Why is Laura's new boss so freakin' unpleasant?  And not just to Laura but to everybody!

Where is the cute blonde detective?  Is she coming back?

What happened to Laura's hot boyfriend from last season?

Is Laura and her ex going to get back together again?

Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty good episode.  Had me guessing to the end.  I was sure someone in that rich family engineered the kidnapping of the boy and was pleasantly surprised when that was not the case. 

I must say, if I ever decide to go to an AA meeting or something like that, I will never reveal my family background. 

• Love 1

I hated the addition of the new boss, although I have vague feelings of maybe liking the actress in something else. I am hopeful my instincts are correct and the actress playing the boss can be very likeable.

I told hubs I could tolerate this change if they paired off Jake and Laura as partners(and then they did). Laura is very annoying when she steamrolls people(sometimes even Soto, although not as much with him).  Since Bose and Soto are adorable together(and are often paired posing as a couple), I'm okay with this. Jake doesn't let Laura steamroll him. He fights her, and does things his own way. Whether they get back together or not, he really does reign her in a bit, or since I hate the idea of a strong woman being reigned in, at least he's a good counter to her energy.

Edited by LVmom

I hated the addition of the new boss, although I have vague feelings of maybe liking the actress in something else. I am hopeful my instincts are correct and the actress playing the boss can be very likeable.

I hope so too because the character was already insufferable in 1 episode.

• Love 2

So Jake decided that as long as he got the placement he wanted, he would leave an incompetent Captain with documented interpersonal behavior issues who nearly got a kid killed by obnoxious posturing in place? 

I really think they could have gotten rid of the creepy power imbalance issues between Jake and Laura without him throwing the entire precinct under the bus. I'd rather have blonde lady back. If we are stuck with outrageous cliche Captain lady, I would really like them to dial her back. She did everything but grab her crotch every time she had a chance to put someone in their place. 

• Love 2

So Jake decided that as long as he got the placement he wanted, he would leave an incompetent Captain with documented interpersonal behavior issues who nearly got a kid killed by obnoxious posturing in place?

Yup, but that's because the writers wanted to keep her character for some reason.

• Love 1

Yup, but that's because the writers wanted to keep her character for some reason.

Well, yeah, and it's not that I'm not grateful that they resolved the Laura's ex macking creepily on her although he's her boss thing, but I don't know if they were thinking about what a selfish impulsive jerk it makes him look like.

• Love 2

Well, yeah, and it's not that I'm not grateful that they resolved the Laura's ex macking creepily on her although he's her boss thing, but I don't know if they were thinking about what a selfish impulsive jerk it makes him look like.

Even if that was their intent, they could've just promoted 1 of the established characters into that position instead, because it still seems to be the same thing for Laura's ex only without the same position.

I could probably live without Frankie, but I'm not sure I'm too keen on Laura and Jake being partners. I think that's a little too trite, and I'm wondering if two exes would even be allowed to work together like that. I liked the dynamic just fine when he was the captain and she was out on a case with Billy. Plus I miss the food truck guy.

Not sure how I feel about the new captain, I could probably go either way on her but we'll see how that develops. It's still a cute little show with your garden-variety Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys mysteries that don't tax your brain too much. Although I really thought the kidnapper was going to turn out to be the dead guy's fiance. It's usually the first person they talk to.

Edited by iMonrey