Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Danger Island: Strange Doings in the Taboo Groves

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Love that Crackers is racist against other birds. "Ugh, ducks."

Ha, there was a velvet painting of Duchess.

Love how they pretty much handwaved Germans just decided to speak English in this show.

"Which way, insert obscure reference to famous cartographer?" and the discussion of how to get Archer out of quicksand is the stuff I've been missing from this show.

This got really serious near the end, really enjoyed it.

Next week:

Spoiler

David Cross! And it's the same character from Heart of Archness!

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2
(edited)

Good lord this show used to be so good. Its been on a decline since these whole alt realities started. Managed to cruise along till season 8 then  began nosediving.  Season 9 is totally in the shitter. Archer's devolved from a drunk who can get shit done and kick ass to ..... just a drunk

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, 100Proof said:

Good lord this show used to be so good. Its been on a decline since these whole alt realities started. Managed to cruise along till season 8 then  began nosediving.  Season 9 is totally in the shitter. Archer's devolved from a drunk who can get shit done and kick ass to ..... just a drunk

My problem with this season is I can't tell how it fit in with the real world.  I'm hoping it's how and not if, because if this season was just a fantasy then it's waste. Last season, Archer was PI searching for who killed Woodhouse which made some sense since Archer has issues surrounding death and Woodhouse. This season might seem better when we see what's going on in the real world and what Archer is trying to do. One thing I liked about this show in general is the way it turns certain cliches upside down, but this season seems less satire of adventure/mysterious island scenario and more just adventure story.  Still I hope they'rebuilding to something and next season we'll see parallels to the real world and danger island. And I enjoy watching it, but YMMV.

Spoiler

Totally excited about the return Noah the anthropology student next week from Pirate Island! 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I'm great with the season. Just imagine that Archer's subconscious has finally broken through to let him know what a total and complete asshole he's been. Sadly, if he ever wakes up, I don' think the lessons would stick. Has that ever really happened in the first seven seasons?

I'm guessing that in "Danger Island," Pam is the emotional one. Maybe this one has a lower threshold for Archer's insensitivity than the real McCoy. McPoovey? Of course, he doesn't notice that she isn't sinking. Also . . . where is there quicksand? I'm not saying the danger is gone for the likes of us, but you never really hear about that anymore. I'm digging that we're basically getting It's a Mad,Mad, Mad World on a smaller scale. My guess for the big winner? Luigi. He needs money to get the fuck off the island. Also: Fuchs' troops insisting they speak English. You know, because everyone else does.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also . . . where is there quicksand? I'm not saying the danger is gone for the likes of us, but you never really hear about that anymore.

Link to Wikipedia page which even references this episode...

I loved this episode and this season has been pretty great. The Archer/Pam/Crackers trio still continues to shine. I've always loved Pam/Archer and much preferred their relationship to Archer/Lana.

I'm seriously looking forward to the adventures of Cheryl/Ray/Malorie

• Love 1

Not much Aisha Tyler this season. I loved "Foreshadowing Lagoon" and "Harbinger Harbor" and I about died laughing when Pam said she could touch bottom. I have always liked Pam & Archer together so this season is working for me. 

• Love 1

I was actually surprised that Archer blew up at Pam because I thought he saw her as a real friend. Or maybe, this was his subconscious way of dealing with being hot for her. Because who isn't? 

• Love 2
(edited)

I am pretty much down for any episode that focuses a lot on the Pam, Archer, and Crackers relationship.

I did not see Archer proposing to Pam but I wasn't surprised that she just laughed at it. 

Also, were the monkeys throwing melons at Pam and Archer when they were trapped in the quicksand?

Edited by TVSpectator
12 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

Coconuts.

Okay, thanks. They looked green and I was thinking that they were melons but they weren't breaking when Pam was hitting them with the stick. 

3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

There was a scene wherein a monkey was cupping it's hands under it's butt, presumably in search of noxious ammunition... but I didn't see it go beyond that.

I remember that as well but I don't think it ever got to that stage (and I was glad it didn't). 

On 5/23/2018 at 11:27 PM, Temperance said:

My problem with this season is I can't tell how it fit in with the real world.  I'm hoping it's how and not if, because if this season was just a fantasy then it's waste. Last season, Archer was PI searching for who killed Woodhouse which made some sense since Archer has issues surrounding death and Woodhouse. This season might seem better when we see what's going on in the real world and what Archer is trying to do. One thing I liked about this show in general is the way it turns certain cliches upside down, but this season seems less satire of adventure/mysterious island scenario and more just adventure story.  Still I hope they'rebuilding to something and next season we'll see parallels to the real world and danger island. And I enjoy watching it, but YMMV.

Reveal hidden contents

Totally excited about the return Noah the anthropology student next week from Pirate Island! 

Since the treasure (which is totally not a gold monkey) historically belongs to Lana's people and she's helping Cyril steal it, unless Archer gets to it first, but then he risks his mother claiming it as hers since he'd have found it while working for her, maybe the idol is a metaphor for AJ, and comatose Archer is worrying that with him out of the picture Lana will get back with Cyril and he'll help raise her "treasure," or maybe his mother might try for custody.

• Love 8
On 5/25/2018 at 8:25 AM, 17wheatthins said:

I was stupidly excited when Archer was talking about marrying Pam. 

So glad it wasn't just me! I mean, its weird, but I totally see it!

Crackers is racist against other birds. Of course. And I loved Pam and Archer getting caught up in the middle of the fight to discuss their talking bird sidekick. "Thats not normal bird behavior!" "He IS a parrot..." "Still!"

• Love 3
17 hours ago, jbrecken said:

Since the treasure (which is totally not a gold monkey) historically belongs to Lana's people and she's helping Cyril steal it, unless Archer gets to it first, but then he risks his mother claiming it as hers since he'd have found it while working for her, maybe the idol is a metaphor for AJ, and comatose Archer is worrying that with him out of the picture Lana will get back with Cyril and he'll help raise her "treasure," or maybe his mother might try for custody.

That's a pretty good metaphor.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Crackers is racist against other birds. Of course. And I loved Pam and Archer getting caught up in the middle of the fight to discuss their talking bird sidekick. "Thats not normal bird behavior!" "He IS a parrot..." "Still!"

Don't get him started on ducks. 

• Love 1