Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E23: Live Semifinal Performances

• Start Topic

(edited)

From TV Guide:

The eight semifinalists perform for coaches Adam Levine, Alicia Keys, Kelly Clarkson, and Blake Shelton in the hopes of getting America's votes to advance to the finale.  In addition to solo performances, the artists also pair up for the season's live duets.

Discuss this two-hour performance episode here.

Edited by Prin Holmes

Tonight's song choices:

Team Adam

Rayshun: "Imagine" by The Beatles

Team Alicia

Britton: "The Rising" by Bruce Springsteen

Jackie: "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake

Team Kelly

Brynn: "What the World Needs Now is Love" by Burt Bacharach

Kaleb: "It is Well with My Soul" by Horatio Spafford

Team Blake

Kyla: "Let it Be" by The Beatles

Pryor: "Change the World" by Eric Clapton

Spensha: "My Church" by Maren Morris

Make of these what you will.

22 minutes ago, Lmr29 said:

How many get eliminated tomorrow , I’m over this season

It's in the thread for tomorrow's episode.  Four people are eliminated -- two instantly by America's votes, two from losing the final Instant Save.

• Love 1

One correction.  Imagine is not a Beatles song.  It was written and released by John Lennon after the Beatles broke up.

Rayshun, Kyla and Spensha should be eliminated just for doing songs that have been done to death on these shows.  I have no need to hear yet another singing show contestant tackle Imagine, Let it Be, or My Church.  I get that its tough to find current or recent country hits performed by women, but I would hope that Spensha could have found something other than a song that has been covered in every single season of The Voice and AI since it was released.

• Love 5

Well, Rayshun said he was just going to stand up there and sing tonight.  He lied.  He just couldn't resist running around the stage and shouting towards the end.  He's from my area, and he's been getting a lot of local news coverage, but  I hope he is finally eliminated tomorrow.  He is exhausting.

• Love 3

Kyla was my favorite tonight. I loved her lower register and she's becoming a more and more confident performer. I don't think Blake is right about her winning though. 

I also really enjoyed Kyla's duet with Spensha. That was probably the best I've heard Spensha sound. The duets really drove home that some singers do better if they don't have to carry a song alone. It's probably why some artists do well in the battles then fall apart in later rounds. Brynn is another one that can't sustain an entire song alone. 

2 hours ago, viajero said:

Rayshun, Kyla and Spensha should be eliminated just for doing songs that have been done to death on these shows.  I have no need to hear yet another singing show contestant tackle Imagine, Let it Be, or My Church.  I get that its tough to find current or recent country hits performed by women, but I would hope that Spensha could have found something other than a song that has been covered in every single season of The Voice and AI since it was released.

I don't think I've heard any of those songs that many times on The Voice. A quick Wikipedia search says My Church was not performed last season. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Kyla was my favorite tonight. I loved her lower register and she's becoming a more and more confident performer. I don't think Blake is right about her winning though. 

I also really enjoyed Kyla's duet with Spensha. That was probably the best I've heard Spensha sound. The duets really drove home that some singers do better if they don't have to carry a song alone. It's probably why some artists do well in the battles then fall apart in later rounds. Brynn is another one that can't sustain an entire song alone. 

I don't think I've heard any of those songs that many times on The Voice. A quick Wikipedia search says My Church was not performed last season. 

I enjoyed the Kyla / Spensha duet too.  As far as the individual performances, I thought everyone did what they could do, no super stinkers, not to my ears.  I think the finals will be Britton, Pryor, Brynn and Kyla with Britton the last man standing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've never been a Spensha fan, but she did sound good on "Rise Up", which just affirms my belief that she is in the wrong genre re: country. She did not sound nearly as good in any of her countrified performances. 

Kyla is wonderful in every way, and it would be a tragedy if she didn't win. 

Totally agree with the poster above re: Brynn not being able to carry a song. She doesn't have much stamina and control, because what I get from her are 10-15 seconds that are great, and then everything else is kind of messy. She has a cool tone, but I don't think she's really learned what to do with her voice yet from a technical perspective. 

I am so frustrated with Pryor. I started off loving him, but with every song I just want to shake him and tell him to use his non growly voice, and to save the growls for the key moments. The guy does not understand dynamics. When he sang in his regular voice tonight, it was really good.  I just don't understand why he can't use that tone for all of his songs, and then throw in the grittiness as a special effect. GAH.

If Britton was going to do Springsteen, I really wanted him to do "I'm On Fire". The kid is super good, but I'm losing a bit of interest in him. Not sure why. Maybe he needs to do something a little out of his wheelhouse to shake it up.

Jackie was horrible. Hot, hot mess. 

Biggest surprise was Kaleb, who I've always found very bland and did not understand what was special or good about his voice. If he had started off singing like that, I think he'd be a bigger contender. 

I love Rayshun unabashedly. The dude just makes me smile, and I love his theatrics and showmanship. I also love his voice, but I'm the kind of person who adores Screamin' Jay Hawkins and his brand of spazziness and shouting, so I guess it's a personal thing. I don't think he should win, but I would like to see him move forward. 

My Ideal Top 4: Kyla, Britton, Rayshun, Pryor (only if he cuts that shit out and sings pretty)
Who I think will go through: Britton, Brynn, Spensha, Kaleb 

Edited by Sugar
  • Love 4
(edited)

You don't get to bust out the Christian hymnal in the semifinal round if the show doesn't really want you in the finale (which would most likely give Kelly two of the final four and a 50% chance to win the whole thing in her first season as a Coach).

I like the fact that Spensha went for it on My Church. It wasn't perfect, but the strides she's made in terms of comfort on stage and performance factor are pretty amazing in such a short period of time. I'd like her in the top 4, but I feel like she's unlikely to win a three way twitter vote for that to happen.

Shouts to Jackie for doing one of my all-time favorite hair metal songs lol.

Nothing I saw tonight challenges my previous assumption that Britton (he got the eventual winner's full choir treatment for goodness sake) and Brynn are pretty much bulletproof. I'll say Kaleb's Christian hymn gets him 3rd, and then Pryor will defeat Kyla and Spensha in the twitter vote.

How do you mutilate Imagine? Seriously, how arrogant or clueless do you have to be to realize that song is hallowed ground. Good riddance (finally) to Rayshun.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

Thoughts on tonight's performances:

Brynn: A little surprised and confused that she opened tonight's show. I guess they saw the success they had with Kyla and decided to chance it with her, too.  It was a good song, and she sounded just gorgeous on it.  Probably my favorite performance of hers.  But I hope going first doesn't hurt her.

Kaleb & Pryor: Holy shit.  My ears!  This sounded like a mess.  I really hope no one would ever have expected a good performance out of them, because that was just tragic.  Surprisingly, this duet is getting a lot of retweets, which I don't understand, because it was just such a mess.

Jackie: This song took down Amanda Brown in season three.  I think that it will also take down Jackie F. (now simply known as "Jackie" with Jackie V. gone).  There were some brilliant spots in it, but I think that most of it was unpleasant.  Whitesnake was definitely the wrong choice of her, and I definitely think she might be one of the ones instantly eliminated tomorrow.

Kyla & Spensha: This was nice when they were singing individually, but I really hated the mashup whenever they sang together, because a two songs together didn't sound good at all.  For one thing, Kelsea Johnson already put "Rise Up" to bed in the Knockouts.  But individually, Kyla was good, and this was probably the most gorgeous I've ever heard Spensha.

Rayshun: This was not good.  As has been said, he was just exhausting to watch.  He just found it all over the stage again, barely seeing anything well, and I was just left wanting his performance to be over.  If this takes him out tomorrow, I will be so thrilled.

Spensha: This was just okay to me.  Mary Sarah from season ten and Casi Joy from season twelve both did it better than Spensha did.  Still, with Blake so obsessed with her, she might make either the finale right away or the middle three, at the very least.

Kyla: A very good job.  She started out very well by keeping it soft, and then building it up to the moment of high intensity at just the right time.  I'm going to say that she probably has the finale on lock, at this point.

Britton & Brynn: This one was actually good.  Not only do they do their individual Parts while, but they only sang both songs together once, and manage it sound good.  Their harmonies were tight and clean, and their voices went very well together.  A very good job by both of them.

Kaleb: So last week, I literally begged both Kaleb and Brynn to play the God card.  I really wanted one or both of them to do this to guarantee Kelly at least one place in the finale.  I'm so glad at least he listened.  I found it to be a good song choice and a fair performance.  A little boring, but not bad at all.  I don't think he's instantly finale-bound, but he might get to the middle three, at the very least.

Rayshun & Jackie: Jackie's parts of their duet were good.  Rayshun's parts were not.  That's really all there is to be said here.

Pryor: No two ways about it.  He totally, completely butchered a classic Eric Clapton song.  It was terrible, but of course, Blake finds a way to make something light of it, and that'll probably spurn his army into voting for him, anyway, even though he sucks.

Britton: Great way to end the night!  Taking on one of his idols and doing his song well was the best way to go.  I enjoyed it from start to finish and thought that he didn't excellent job.  I really hope he gets the public vote tomorrow.  I will be voting like mad all night to make sure he does.

It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow night.  But I will be updating iTunes results all night.

iTunes Top 100 as of 11:20pm EDT

2 - Kyla Jade, Let It Be (Team Blake)
12 - Brynn Cartelli, What the World Needs Now Is Love (Team Kelly)
14 - Britton Buchanan, The Rising (Team Alicia)
15 - Kaleb Lee, It Is Well With My Soul (Team Kelly)
19 - Spensha Baker, My Church (Team Blake)
21 - Pryor Baird, Change the World (Team Blake)
46 - Rayshun LaMarr, Imagine (Team Adam)
69 - Jackie Foster, Here I Go Again (Team Alicia)

It's closer than I thought it would be. I wonder if any of the duets were posted?

btw - "This is Me", Kyla's song from last week is still hanging around at #119 on the Top 200 chart.

• Love 7

Britton made it to #10, and I think he may get higher - he was the last to perform and keeps soaring up. Surprised that Pryor is doing so well, but not unhappy about it. He's at 16 now, and one up on Spensha. I think it's going to be a bloodbath for 4th place (assuming that Kyla, Brynn and Britton tie up 1-3).

Just now, Sugar said:

Britton made it to #10, and I think he may get higher - he was the last to perform and keeps soaring up. Surprised that Pryor is doing so well, but not unhappy about it. He's at 16 now, and one up on Spensha. I think it's going to be a bloodbath for 4th place (assuming that Kyla, Brynn and Britton tie up 1-3).

Pryor is not doing as well as past weeks. I’m surprised Blake picked a midtempo song for him. Blake knows this is the week to do something big.

Fourth through sixth sing for the final spot, so falling anywhere in that range is all the same.

(edited)

Thanks for the iTunes updates--always appreciated! (Also knowing the songs ahead, esp. here on the W. Coast).

Now, for something negative... I like Kelly a lot like everyone does. She's fun, brings new energy and seems like a sweet person. With a good song (i.e. not that horrible new one) she has a great voice and presence.

But jeez, when she comments on singers from other teams, she sure wastes a lot of time saying a whole lot of nothing--and at length. A couple of weeks ago, even Alicia seemed a little impatient as Kelly ate up tons of airtime babbling exuberant over-the-top nonsense about Alicia's teammate.

Just throwing that in.  Otherwise, I enjoyed the performances--and some amusing little moments (llke Jackie butchering the melody of the Whitesnakes song--and having the original artist right behind her to tell her what it REALLY was supposed to sound like, lol. Shades of Annie Hall.)

I liked all of the duets, surprising how much better several of them did with them. As for Pryor, I ditto Sugar's post. I loved him in the beginning, before I realized he wouldn't change it up. I thought Blake would help him, but sometimes Blake's -too- respectful of an artist's style. I think this is one of those times.

I would rather see Kyla and Rayshun as final four (with Britton and, I guess, Pryor or Kaleb) than Spensha and Brynn.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Padma said:

Just throwing that in.  Otherwise, I enjoyed the performances--and some amusing little moments (llke Jackie butchering the melody of the White Stripes song--and having the original artist right behind her to tell her what it REALLY was supposed to sound like, lol. Shades of Annie Hall.)

Calling Mirkovich a member of Whitesnake cracked me up as he was in the band for less than a year in the 90s (basically hired for a European tour).  He was in Whitesnake less than Randy Jackson was in Journey!  

Don't get me wrong, he's had a stellar career as a musician and has been with Cher forever.  He's got plenty of cred without trying to make out like he was there back when Whitesnake was in their heyday (i.e. Here I Go Again territory).

Edited by Sile
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, JeanneH said:

Wishing Kyla will get through, doubtful she will. Even if she gets the votes the producers can still manipulate things, and I think they want someone for the teen/tween set.

Get through to the next round? I have no doubt she will. IMO, manipulation comes in the editing, the order, the song choices. They count the votes. Kyla has been the most downloaded two weeks in a row now. I think she has the votes for top 3 and I don’t think producers would overturn that.

• Love 3

Brynn's "What the World Needs Now" made me cringe. Halfway through "Imagine" I had to pause the video and bring out the tablet to show the kids what the song is really meant to sound like. I've seen it performed on approximately 10,000 voice competition songs (American Idol. X Factor, America's Got Talent, etc.) and I've never been as confused as I was last night. Pryor's voice is my favorite. However, like everyone else, I am exhausted by all the screaming and shouting. When he first came onto the scene I wondered why he hadn't made it yet.Now I know. Dude takes zero direction and has no nuance. None. Britton is cute but he's average at best. (He's dating a girl from my town, though. I used to babysit her. The whole county is all up in their business at the moment.) I like Kyla but only in terms of this competition. In the "real world", I don't think I'd actually buy an album. Agree, though, that her duet with Spensha was the best Spensha has sounded. I don't think Spensha is bad, per se, I just don't think she's as great as Blake seems to think she is.  I don't think HE thinks she's as great as he says she is, I think he's just enthralled by the novelty of the idea. Honestly, my favorite performance of the night was Jackie's hair metal song. Hell, you get that far and don't think you'll win, you might as well just have some fun with it. 

8 hours ago, JeanneH said:

iTunes Top 100 as of 11:20pm EDT

2 - Kyla Jade, Let It Be (Team Blake)
12 - Brynn Cartelli, What the World Needs Now Is Love (Team Kelly)
14 - Britton Buchanan, The Rising (Team Alicia)
15 - Kaleb Lee, It Is Well With My Soul (Team Kelly)
19 - Spensha Baker, My Church (Team Blake)
21 - Pryor Baird, Change the World (Team Blake)
46 - Rayshun LaMarr, Imagine (Team Adam)
69 - Jackie Foster, Here I Go Again (Team Alicia)

It's closer than I thought it would be. I wonder if any of the duets were posted?

btw - "This is Me", Kyla's song from last week is still hanging around at #119 on the Top 200 chart.

Thank you for posting. For many of us who have taken use of the "ignore" function, it's nice to have multiple people reporting so that we actually get the information. 

• Love 1

Please remember to report posts that are out of line instead of engaging with the poster. Thank you!

10 hours ago, Prin Holmes said:

Rayshun: This was not good.  As has been said, he was just exhausting to watch.  He just found it all over the stage again, barely seeing anything well, and I was just left wanting his performance to be over.  If this takes him out tomorrow, I will be so thrilled.

Yes.  Just put him out of his misery.  Another thing I noticed about him last night is when he started out slowly, just singing without all the theatrics, he was just...ok.  Which is why he brings out the theatrics to cover up the fact that he's a mediocre singer.

From last night, my least favorite performances were Pryor, Jackie and Spensha.  

I actually thought Rayshun did pretty well.  

My favorites were Britton, Caleb, Kyla and Brynn.  So, I'm hoping most of them are in the finale.  I haven't been a Caleb fan all season, but, I really liked him last night.  I'm not sure how Kyla could not in the finale.  Her itunes votes must make her untouchable. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It looks like the Itunes multiplier is going to be a total wash for everyone except Jackie F. and Rayshun.

As much as people seem to think that Kyla is a lock to finish Top 3, I'm not willing to go that far just yet. Britton and Brynn are just behind her and Kaleb is just behind them (and he might be the one artist whose overall vote totals aren't totally reflected by Itunes sales).

If Kyla is in the Top 3, I think she does it at the expense of Brynn. And either one of the them would be IMO at a disadvantage in the hypothetical twitter vote against Pryor and Spensha. All things about the Voice universe would have to make Pryor the favorite against Kyla/Spensha or Spensha/Brynn.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1
(edited)

I always ff the intro packages so only caught the tail end of Kyla’s, with Blake saying it was going to be “epic.” Imagine my horror when “epic” turned out to be “Let it Be,” the second-to-last song I would ever want to hear in an embiggened form. 

The last song? “Imagine.” That is not a song for running around the stage doing the signature Rayshun Whirl. 

I normally like Spensha but “My Church” sounded like it was too much for her. She was fighting the band or it was in the wrong key or...something. It sounded strained. I liked her duet with Kyla, though. 

Pryor has done the same thing every damn week, with the shouting and the growling. Someone likes him, obviously. 

I’m not a fan of Britton, but I thought he actually sounded good when I left him in the background and didn’t look at him and his Signature Move: the Reach for the Sky. 

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Get through to the next round? I have no doubt she will. IMO, manipulation comes in the editing, the order, the song choices. They count the votes. Kyla has been the most downloaded two weeks in a row now. I think she has the votes for top 3 and I don’t think producers would overturn that.

When I wrote that I meant get through to the final. Watching the iTunes results, I have little doubt that will happen, unless someone messes with things.

7 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Thank you for posting. For many of us who have taken use of the "ignore" function, it's nice to have multiple people reporting so that we actually get the information. 

You're welcome. I see there's been no update for a while, so here's a quick and rough one, as of 2:45 pm EDT.

#2 - Kyla
#3 - Britton
#4 - Brynn
#5 - Kaleb (up 1 spot in the last 20 minutes)
#7 - Prior (ditto)
#10 - Spensha (up 2 spots in the last 20 minutes)
#40 - Rayshun
#48 - Jackie

#1 overall on this chart is "This is America" by Childish Gambino.   Kyla's song from last week, "This is Me", has re-entered the Top 100 at #80, while her "How Great Thou Art" from April 16 has reappeared in the Top 200 at #188.

2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

It looks like the Itunes multiplier is going to be a total wash for everyone except Jackie F. and Rayshun.

I think maybe it's tight up there. There's been a little bit of the usual shuffling, and Spensha didn't crack the top 10 until very recently. It's always possible someone could drop out?  (#6 is Imagine Dragons, #8 is Selena Gomez, #9 is Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line, #11, Arianna Grande, #12, Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey)

8 hours ago, Ellee said:

Just out of curiosity ... did any of the duets rank on iTunes? Or was that not a possibility?  

If they are ranked they're not showing up on the display for The Voice.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, JeanneH said:

#2 - Kyla

#3 - Britton
#4 - Brynn
#5 - Kaleb (up 1 spot in the last 20 minutes)
#7 - Prior (ditto)
#10 - Spensha (up 2 spots in the last 20 minutes)
#40 - Rayshun
#48 - Jackie

as of 4:30pm EDT, Brynn has dropped 1 spot (#5), Kaleb, and Prior have each dropped 2 spots (#6 and #9). Spensha's dropped to #14. Rayshun and Jackie have both dropped too.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Kind of a frantic mess of enjoyability.  

This kind of sums it up for me.  Overall I really enjoyed the episode, though some of it was over the top.  

Above all, it was Kyla's episode with both the best duet and best solo performances.  She well deserves to be leading on iTunes.  Other solo performances that were really good include Britton and Brynn's.  I didn't like their duet so much, mostly because the arrangement didn't work for me.

While I didn't think there were any truly bad performances, Rayshun's "Imagine" comes pretty close.  It really showed of his limitations.  Kaleb gets the award for the most boring performance.  Though his vocals have improved, it was the only performance that failed to hold my attention.

My preference for the final are Kyla, Britton, Brynn, and Jackie.  But I'm fairly sure that it will be either Pryor or Kaleb in the final instead of Jackie.  Brynn could also be in danger if she doesn't make the top 3.

Did Spensha make it into the Top 10 in time by noon EDT?

• Love 2

iTunes update, as of 6:10 pm EDT:

#2 - Kyla
#4 - Britton (down from #3)
#5 - Brynn
#7 - Kaleb
#12 - Pryor (down from #9)
#15 - Spensha (down from #14)
#46 - Rayshun
#57 - Jackie (down from #56)

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Don't the Itunes only count as of noon the day after competition?  Not sure if they changed it. I mainly just watch the performances online and not the entire show. 

I read it is local noon in each time zone. But hey change things, so I'm really not sure.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, JeanneH said:

I read it is local noon in each time zone. But hey change things, so I'm really not sure.

The cutoff is noon Eastern.  All votes and downloads after that hour don't count.  It's one of the complaints of people on the West Coast, because they don't have all morning to vote.

Just catching up with this on the DVR, and it struck me when Paul Merkovich (spelled phonetically and incorrectly I'm sure) told Jackie how a phrase in Here I Go Again was supposed to be sung.  And she said, "I knew I was singing it wrong."  

Aren't these performers given actual music for these songs; you know, with notes and time signatures and staffs and other music stuff? Or do they just have the words, and sing only from the memory of having heard the song?

7 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Just catching up with this on the DVR, and it struck me when Paul Merkovich (spelled phonetically and incorrectly I'm sure) told Jackie how a phrase in Here I Go Again was supposed to be sung.  And she said, "I knew I was singing it wrong."  

Aren't these performers given actual music for these songs; you know, with notes and time signatures and staffs and other music stuff? Or do they just have the words, and sing only from the memory of having heard the song?

I imagine that they at least listen to the original version of the song.  Those coaching sessions come early in the week and she was probably trying out different arrangements. 

10 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

2 hours ago, viajero said:

I imagine that they at least listen to the original version of the song.  Those coaching sessions come early in the week and she was probably trying out different arrangements. 

Also, Jackie pointed out that Paul Murkovich had actually played for Whitesnake before, so he knew the phrase.

(edited)

I finally had a chance to watch the semi-finals and, with the exception of the Spensha/Kyla duet, I pretty much hated everything and I only liked Spensha's half of the duet. That is the kind of music she should be doing, not this attempt at doing country, particularly not under Blake's tutelage.

Moving on...Rayshun's ridiculousness with the iconic "Imagine" and Kyla completely missing the mark for "Let It Be," is it too much to ask that these songs be banned? One, because they have been done to death, especially the former, and two, more importantly, they have been done so, so wrong. Both were awful, indulgent, "look at me" performances that told me neither had a clue what the songs were about. The haunting melodies that just about anyone on the planet would recognize instantly were completely lost in the "artistic" arrangements. Just awful...

As for the others? I gave them until the chorus and when they, as usual, were stinking up the joint, I hit the FF button like no one's business. 

Truly terrible season.

Edited by CountryGirl
On 5/19/2018 at 5:19 PM, Ravon Okiro said:

Also, Jackie pointed out that Paul Murkovich had actually played for Whitesnake before, so he knew the phrase.

I didn't state my point well enough.  Because Jackie said "I knew I was singing that wrong", it sounded to me like they don't have actual sheet music for the song  - because if she had the music, and was reading it, she would know the correct way to sing it.  So it seems to me that they're given the lyrics, and then just go by their memory of the tune, which seems kind of ridiculous to me for people who want to make their living singing. 

1 hour ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I didn't state my point well enough.  Because Jackie said "I knew I was singing that wrong", it sounded to me like they don't have actual sheet music for the song  - because if she had the music, and was reading it, she would know the correct way to sing it.  So it seems to me that they're given the lyrics, and then just go by their memory of the tune, which seems kind of ridiculous to me for people who want to make their living singing. 

Or, and it's maybe unlikely considering she's been in a band for years, Jackie doesn't read music. Or at least can't sight read music. Not everyone is great at sight reading music, even after years of practice.