Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

With all this going on I wonder if any of the New Girls will leave training camp in fear if they make the squad they won’t be paid 

No one will leave.  Everyone of those girls would pay Kelli money if she could make the team.  

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

With all this going on I wonder if any of the New Girls will leave training camp in fear if they make the squad they won’t be paid 

I highly doubt it.  If anything, it will hopefully bring change for the future cheerleaders.  In addition, most of these girls are looking to further their careers whether it be in dance or show business.  The girls will definitely continue with the audition process.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, TUOwl84 said:

I highly doubt it.  If anything, it will hopefully bring change for the future cheerleaders.  In addition, most of these girls are looking to further their careers whether it be in dance or show business.  The girls will definitely continue with the audition process.

Thank you 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TUOwl84 said:

My thoughts on this whole situation...would Erica really be filing a lawsuit if she wasn't booted from the team? Sounds like someone is just bitter.  Why not file the lawsuit after she got booted last year for not being compensated for her time? Why wasn't it done sooner? Sounds to me like someone is just bitter, and decided to file suit right before the new season of the show airs this Summer.  Time is money!

If I weren't the suspicious and cynical person I am, the only thing I wouldn't be surprised about is this possible reasoning.  From what little we've seen and heard, she thought she was untouchable and didn't have to play by the rules.  Even if she was injured, she was still doing whatever she could as a Cheerleader.  She got the perks without having to do the hard work of dancing so it was pretty cushy for her.  Then she took it a little too far and got herself cut.  Cut off from the perks, cut off from the brand, cut off from the "free" medical, and cut off from dancing practically front and center during the games, because she wasn't likely to miss those if she could help it.

I wonder when she thought up the whole lawsuit angle.  If it was immediately after getting cut, she'd have plenty of time (and plenty of sympathy if she didn't tell the entire truth about how/why she got cut).  Getting together all her W-2s, 1099s or whatever tax forms she received from the DCC wouldn't take long if she was organized.  Also, if she's organized, she would have kept track of everything she did as a DCC in terms of appearances, practices, rehearsals, Camp DCC, etc., just to make sure she didn't miss anything.  It would have been pretty easy to sit down and figure out how much she SHOULD have earned over the course of those years or, if she was having a hard time making things come out right, (I know I would at times, just to figure out the taxes), she could have sat down with an accountant, a tax preparer, or someone who knew what they were doing to make sure she was paid what she was owed.  Once that was figured out (maybe 2 to 3 months by this point, 4 might be pushing it, so we're looking at end of November, beginning of December here), she would then go shopping for a lawyer who is willing to take on the Dallas Cowboys franchise, so toss on another month or so.  After the holidays, maybe a couple of months to figure out if there's a lawsuit and, if so, how to word it for the best chance of success.  So, we're up to March, maybe early April by this point, by my calculations (which may or may not be accurate).

That still leaves about two months unaccounted for, unless her lawyer wouldn't let her go public until he received some sort of response from the franchise, because they would have to be served a copy of the lawsuit and had it run by the lawyers.  I wouldn't be surprised if her timing was such that she went public at the time when it would serve as the biggest distraction for Kelli, Charlotte, Judy and the rest.  Maybe it was now, or wait until August when they're gearing up for the season, but she could have lost momentum (or too much money) and not been able to proceed at that point.

Hmmm . . . how this lawsuit plays out will be interesting, especially if Erica's looking to get a LOT of money out of it and not just what she's owed, if anything.

ETA: This should have been over in the "Former DCC" threads.  Could this be considered part of Training Camp, especially if it shows up in the show?  I suspect that veterans will be paying attention AND keeping their heads down so they don't catch Kelli's or Charlotte's attention right now.  Those ladies will NOT be happy about this whole situation.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 5

Cassie posted this on her insta story from what Misty Duncan Day posted. Holly who was also cut from the team loves that Erica interviewed its on the comments of Erica's post

Screenshot_2018-06-12-21-39-28.png

• Love 2

So this whole time Erica has been planning a suit she’s been flaunting former DCC pics on Instagram for almost a year after leaving the squad? Pathetic. To argue unequal pay is one thing, but don’t compare the DCC and pay to the mascot. They are not one in the same. Also, I’m pretty confident no one has ever auditioned for DCC for the money. It’s a unique part time job, with high expectations and to some, great rewards. Clearly, and for many reasons, it’s not for everyone. Even the best of dancers.

• Love 15
(edited)

Just one comment on the timing of her lawsuit. In many cases, its up to the lawyer when a lawsuit get filed. It's not at all uncommon for lawsuits to be filed the last day before the statute of limitations runs out. Lawyers are busy, have lots of cases, and often times work off deadlines and will handle pressing matters first. So, I really would not read too much into the date of filing in this particular case. It's possible that she timed it, but it's also possible that it got filed as soon as her lawyer got all of the information and documents he/she needed, completed all relevant research, likely negotiated with the Cowboys, and then got all of the pleadings drafted.

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 12

That interview by Erica just shocks me!!! She is definitely bitter. I have friends who have cheered in the NFL, and that is not their main job. They do it for the love of entertaining, the perks and the notoriety. This is purely speculation, but I would say that most of these women would do it for free if it was between being a DCC or not. She obviously has not felt with adversity much in her life, and just isn't sure how to handle it. This is not the way. Nobody has a perfect life without failure or mistakes. Something a lot, not most, of this generation lacks. 

• Love 14

I honestly think people should get paid what they deserve however this organization states that most cheerleaders have to have some type of job or go to school..... Just seeing this from an outsiders perspective I think her lawsuit may be a lost cause considering the Cowboys organization will probably bring up the fact that she was dismissed from the team and now she's bitter 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, TUOwl84 said:

Ha!  I could not help but laugh at the first response of Jasmine's comment on Erica's instagram post about the lawsuit.  

image1 (9).jpeg

I also laughed at that comment and someone on the comment also called Jasmine out because she did the same thing for either. The bachelor or Bachelor in Paradise

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Angie said:

I also laughed at that comment and someone on the comment also called Jasmine out because she did the same thing for either. The bachelor or Bachelor in Paradise

HA!!! She is a hypocrite!  Screenshot of her instagram story.

image1 (14).png

2 minutes ago, Angie said:

I don't know if this was a dig at Erica but both Jackie Bob and Shelley both hash tagged their names in their respective insta stories

Ah! I see what they are doing...

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, TUOwl84 said:

HA!!! She is a hypocrite!  Screenshot of her instagram story.

image1 (14).png

Ah! I see what they are doing...

It makes me wonder who else is hash tagging themselves and are they doing it in support of Erica or using it as a dig towards Erica

• Love 2

I must say, I am a little surprised that Shelly has done so, considering she works for the organization.  It may be a little inappropriate.  I get it if alumni does so, but just my opinion.

• Love 2
(edited)

I love Shelly!!!! Are these the pix you are talking about?34010832_2167882903447375_1412383962176684032_n.thumb.jpg.f7fa05e2c83140a42e53e6351d78425d.jpg34132819_1905378113093748_8285083280823287808_n.thumb.jpg.4c1b364473ba694e99d17b1059514044.jpg

7 minutes ago, Angie said:

I don't know if this was a dig at Erica but both Jackie Bob and Shelley both hash tagged their names in their respective insta stories

Edited by 5678Pixie
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Angie said:

It makes me wonder who else is hash tagging themselves and are they doing it in support of Erica or using it as a dig towards Erica

I am considering it a dig, based on Jasmine's comment.  I don't think hers was at all in support of Erica.  I think it was Jasmine's way of putting her down.  But for Jasmine to even talk considering she only wants fame herself...

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, TUOwl84 said:

I must say, I am a little surprised that Shelly has done so, considering she works for the organization.  It may be a little inappropriate.  I get it if alumni does so, but just my opinion.

Shelly does what she wants, that why I love her!!!!

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, TUOwl84 said:

Ha!  I could not help but laugh at the first response of Jasmine's comment on Erica's instagram post about the lawsuit.  

image1 (9).jpeg

Those comments were funny, but the fact that these people  jumped to conclusions had me rolling.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, TUOwl84 said:

I am considering it a dig, based on Jasmine's comment.  I don't think hers was at all in support of Erica.  I think it was Jasmine's way of putting her down.  But for Jasmine to even talk considering she only wants fame herself...

It'll be sad if it's a dig because doesn't the organization pride themselves on being classy women and being a sisterhood but I guess once you turn against the sisterhood all bets are off 

Edited by Angie
  • Love 4

Whatever happens with this lawsuit...I hope that the show will go on this Summer.  I hope they don't pull the plug considering this drama is beginning to take place.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Angie said:

It'll be sad if it's a dig because doesn't the organization pride themselves on being classy women and being a sisterhood but I guess once you turn against the sisterhood all bets are off 

This is so bad, but I am happy to finally see these women acting like REAL women act, who act snarky and bitchy sometimes instead of the "we're all sisters and BFF's and love each other sooo much" stuff. 

I'm not saying for them to go all out mean-girl on each other, but it's refreshing to see them act human

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Just one comment on the timing of her lawsuit. In many cases, its up to the lawyer when a lawsuit get filed. It's not at all uncommon for lawsuits to be filed the last day before the statute of limitations runs out. Lawyers are busy, have lots of cases, and often times work off deadlines and will handle pressing matters first. So, I really would not read too much into the date of filing in this particular case. It's possible that she timed it, but it's also possible that it got filed as soon as her lawyer got all of the information and documents he/she needed, completed all relevant research, likely negotiated with the Cowboys, and then got all of the pleadings drafted.

I was getting ready to say the exact same thing!  The statute of limitations and/or the attorney's existing case load often have as much to do with the timing of a lawsuit filing as some calculated strategy to impact public opinion.  Timing may be taken into consideration (especially when dealing with a high profile case), but often your merits are better served by staying out of the spotlight!  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DBAAT said:

That interview by Erica just shocks me!!! She is definitely bitter. I have friends who have cheered in the NFL, and that is not their main job. They do it for the love of entertaining, the perks and the notoriety. This is purely speculation, but I would say that most of these women would do it for free if it was between being a DCC or not. She obviously has not felt with adversity much in her life, and just isn't sure how to handle it. This is not the way. Nobody has a perfect life without failure or mistakes. Something a lot, not most, of this generation lacks. 

It would be amazing to be a DCC.  I can understand feeling honored, wanting the perks and the platform, and being willing to do anything to make the team.  But I can also believe that these women are not being paid commensurate with what is asked of them in return.  Those can and should be mutually existent ideas.

• Love 14
37 minutes ago, dccfangirl said:

Wanting to do a job and not wanting to quit or get fired doesn't justify accepting unfair pay. 

If Erica feels she was paid unfairly it's up to a judge to decide - I don't feel strongly one way or the other as my only knowledge of DCC pay comes from the internet. 

I don't, however, buy that being a DCC is a genuine part time job. Usually more than 35 hours is considered a full time job. There's no reason for an organisation like the Cowboys to have people working such long hours as contractors rather than salaried employees except they want to be able to suppress their pay and cut them without notice - this is why us dancers have unions y'all!

Beyond the hours in the studio/on appearances/at the Stadium, so many girls have quit their jobs so that they can practise enough during the day to keep their spot on the team. Not to mention the time in the gym (and apparently on social media) that is clearly a requirement but not paid for.

As many have said, it is unfortunate that it's a girl that was fired who is bringing this lawsuit - it feels like sour grapes even if her complaint may be ruled legit by the courts. 

I really do think that the "earn the uniform" / "hundreds of girls would kill for your spot" / "everyone's replaceable"/ it's a privilege not a right mentality is used in many types of entertainment (and certainly pro cheerleading) to suppress wages and stifle workers' rights. It may be a privilege to work for the Cowboys but employers have responsibilities to protect their workers' rights. 

PS - love that Shelly is commenting here on this but if my organization had not commented on the issue and one of my employees/colleagues took it upon themselves to comment formally or informally there would be a serious s---show. 

Thank you!  All this talk of it being an honor, and she is bitter, and maybe that's all the job is worth are completely irrelevant.  Bottom line: There are laws regarding pay and the DCC is not above those laws.

• Love 20

So what is the purpose of Erica's lawsuit--Is she suing for "money" for herself or for a change in the DCC salary benefits for her sisterhood?

I'm thinking of the family that lost their son to the alligator at Disneyworld.  They didn't ask for money for themselves--they asked for a change at Disneyworld so it wouldn't happen to other families.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

So what is the purpose of Erica's lawsuit--Is she suing for "money" for herself or for a change in the DCC salary benefits for her sisterhood?

I didn't see the interview, but from what I read in the article, I don't think she's suing because of the hourly rate, I thought she was suing because she claims she wasn't paid for hours worked.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I didn't see the interview, but from what I read in the article, I don't think she's suing because of the hourly rate, I thought she was suing because she claims she wasn't paid for hours worked.

That is my take as well.  If she is owed money, I do think she should be compensated for the time worked.

• Love 2

It seems, based on the article, that her claims are combined and based on different statutes. She’s suing because she claims she wasn’t adequately compensated for the actual hours she worked, and she’s claiming that its unlawful for the mascot, usually portrayed by a male, to be paid more than the cheerleaders, female. Whether the mascot is similarly situated to the cheerleaders will I’m sure be an issue in the lawsuit. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, go4luca said:

That is my take as well.  If she is owed money, I do think she should be compensated for the time worked.

Yep, and if she flubbed on her timesheet, well, that's on her.

• Love 4

The Cowboys should do right by these girls. They can certainly afford to. I don't care what the situation is, just because someone is willing to allow you to take advantage of them, doesn't mean you should. 

• Love 7
Just now, ByTor said:

Yep, and if she flubbed on her timesheet, well, that's on her.

This is why I’m surprised Shelly was posting about this (not saying she did anything wrong; the organization may have said it was fine), but we have an idea (on a message board where we have no stake in this lawsuit) what a potential defense may be - that Erica may not have been paid for these hours but it’s her own fault that she wasn’t by not logging it. I’m speculating, but that’s what I took from it. Now, the Cowboys and Erica’s probably have already discussed this lawsuit (and know the law) and both likely know what the other’s claims and defenses will be, but still...

• Love 1

On a practical, training camp related note, Kelli and Judy have to want to pull their hair out at this point. After all the drama last year, and now this. While I doubt the lawsuit will have a tangible impact on training camp, it’s one of those things that’s always in the background. 

I would also expect the positive editing to be on overdrive for MTT this season. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Runnergrl37 said:

unfortunately,  they won't show shit.  i hope Charlotte is sweating in her Lanvin suit right now. 

I don't think they can fail to address it now. Even casual viewers will pick up on it. 

What do you bet they show Kelli in the first meeting saying "YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOGGING YOUR HOURS"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

This is why I’m surprised Shelly was posting about this (not saying she did anything wrong; the organization may have said it was fine), but we have an idea (on a message board where we have no stake in this lawsuit) what a potential defense may be - that Erica may not have been paid for these hours but it’s her own fault that she wasn’t by not logging it. I’m speculating, but that’s what I took from it. Now, the Cowboys and Erica’s probably have already discussed this lawsuit (and know the law) and both likely know what the other’s claims and defenses will be, but still...

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised by how much is being shared on SM period.  I'd think the legal teams would want to keep their playing cards fairly close to the vest.  

Oh to be a fly on the wall during some of these meetings...

• Love 7

I agree with what Cassie said on her instagram. They all go into auditions knowing the rules and compensation, etc . Period. No one is forced into anything and they sign a contract that spells out every detail. If Erika's pay was shorted, why wait this long to bring it up?? 

I frankly felt bad thAt three girls abandoned the contract midway into the season last year. There were girls who would've been on that squad if they had left during TC or just not even auditioned. 

Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't believe that K & J would ever do anything that would be considered nefarious or inappropriate when it comes to the organization. They've both invested their entire adult lives in the DCC and the Cowboys. 

• Love 5