Type keyword(s) to search

Shetland - General Discussion

whatsatool
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, dleighg said:

My husband and I have visited similar islands (Faroe, Orkney, Iceland, though not Shetland) so are used to (and love) that bleak scenery.

I follow a crofter on Twitter (I’ll never call it X 😄) who lives on the isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, and the photos that he posts show a similar lack of trees.

My family and I visited Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia 🇨🇦 this summer, and its landscape and coastline is similar to Shetland and many parts of Scotland. Probably how Nova Scotia got its name! Anyway, the big difference being that Cape Breton is heavily forested. If I knew how to post a picture here, I would.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Capricasix said:

I follow a crofter on Twitter (I’ll never call it X 😄) who lives on the isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, and the photos that he posts show a similar lack of trees.

My family and I visited Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia 🇨🇦 this summer, and its landscape and coastline is similar to Shetland and many parts of Scotland. Probably how Nova Scotia got its name! Anyway, the big difference being that Cape Breton is heavily forested. If I knew how to post a picture here, I would.

With lots of quaking aspens. 

• Like 1

SEASON 01 - 07

Am late to Shetland. Fully aware that Dougie’s leaving after S07, I take my time to finish the first 38 episodes.

Have been dreading to start on this series due to the nature of the lead character, TBH. Jimmy Perez is another TV detective with tormented soul and complicated personal life (thanks to typical tropes like losing a wife/partner, a broken marriage, complicated childhood, strained relationship with own parents/siblings, PTSD etc). And these overworked TV detectives always have a daughter, rarely a son. Have seen various lead characters with similar characterizations in Wallander, Wisting, Bordertown, Hinterland, Trapped (Ófærð), Broadchurch, The Sinner, River, CB Strike etc.

The writings are much better and less convoluted in earlier seasons. My favorites are Season 2 (Raven Black) with Brian Cox and Season 3 with Ciarán Hinds and Archie Panjabi.

What I treasure the most about this series are the gorgeous landscapes and the dynamic/bromance between Jimmy and Duncan. I also like the meaningful interactions between Jimmy and Lloyd Anderson in S07.

The most underrated and underused characters are the lovely Billy and the always reliable Cora. Am not really into Tosh and Sandy.

The most memorable seasonal characters are Magnus Bain (played by Brian Cox) in S02 Raven Black and Thomas Malone (played by Stephen Walters) in S04.

This series also has several frustrating & annoying seasonal characters - Leanne Randall (S03), Donna Killick (S04 & S06), Olivia Lennox (S05), Lynda Morton (S06), Maggie Kean (S06-S07), Rachel and Danny Cairns (S07). The worst is Olivia. UGH. 😣

Re Jimmy’s love life, he has some chemistry with Asha and Alice, but none with Meg. Her repetitive shades to Jimmy about Florence Nightingale Syndrome don’t sit right with me.

Re Jimmy’s final scene, I wish they’d show him with Cassie and Duncan instead, not Meg. I will miss Jimmy Perez and his signature pea coat.

Still contemplating whether to watch S08 or not. Without Jimmy, it’s NOT Shetland. 😢

• Like 1

Can someone remind me where Jimmy "went" at the end of last season? Did he retire? Move off-island? What is he doing next?

@Snazzy Daisy I was so (virtually) in love with Jimmy, and I'm really not missing him in the latest season. The landscape, the pacing, those gorgeous drone shots LOL are all the same. Of course I do like Tosh and Sandy, so YMMV. I also like "Agatha Raisin" but this is a way different role for Ashley Jensen.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

I'm really enjoying this season.  There's so many dodgy characters I really have no idea on who the murderer is.  I actually think this is one of the better seasons (I've seen thru episode 5 so I think it's just one more to go).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

giphy.gif

🤣🤣🤣

What’s he saying here? 😄

There was a scene from a few seasons ago - I think it was when Cassie was going to uni in Glasgow, and she was being followed - and Jimmy saw the guy in the restaurant and told him to stop following his daughter or he’d rip his f*cking eyes out. I loved that scene 🤣

Edited by Capricasix
It was eyes, not teeth 😄
  • Like 1

I watched the first episode of Season 8 last night.  I think the transition from Jimmy to the new DI was well done.  The plot is intriguing, and I loved seeing "Mrs. Hughes" in a different role.  She's such a good actress.  I'm looking forward to next week's episode. 

• Like 3

It was good.  I like that Ruth is a bit salty.  And Michael from "Annika" is a cool casting bit, as Cal.  Almost didn't recognize him with short hair. Then we get "Hey Sugar" the morning after....*LOL*  He just can't stay away from those Law Enforcement ladies.

Everything feels familiar with Tosh & Sandy, almost as if Jimmy will show up in a scene later.  Obviously the same writers and cinematographers, so it's comfortable.  

The beloved Mrs. Hughes as mean Granny Baines is awesome.  Probably gonna hate her.

I like them bringing in Ruth, and the little zinger Tosh sent back "it's annoying" after Ruth had called her out for using the "acting DCI title".....they can make her a really great mentor for Tosh if they're smart.  I'm looking forward to it.  

• Like 4
On 11/30/2023 at 7:49 AM, Milburn Stone said:

In all the preceding seasons, I never noticed that there were no trees!

I was watching Season 5 today and there were trees! One was some kind of evergreen, the others had leaves. They must be pretty tough varieties.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I watched the first episode of Season 8 last night and really liked it. Tosh has always been my favorite character so seeing her in charge is great. I liked Jimmy Perez but I think he had run his course. Have always liked Ashley Jensen so seeing her in a new role on a well-established show is a bonus. I am looking forward to seeing how she and Tosh meld their very different styles. 

What happened to Julie Graham's fiscal?

• Like 3

S08•E01-E05

Am struggling to like DI Ruth Calder. She’s very impulsive, couldn’t care less about the fall out of her actions. She doesn’t respect Tosh and Sandy. A sense of empathy is lacking in her.

Rhona’s replacement, he’s a tool, isn’t he?

What’s with the messy hairdo that Tosh has been rocking this season?

Ruth and Ellen’s DNAs aren’t a familial match because Ruth’s bio dad is not Rev. Calder Sr. - the most likely scenario.

If Ellen’s killer is in the family, it must be someone who is in the background. It could be Kieran or Rory.

The worst Bain is Heather. So despicable. The story about the Sadats letting themselves to be continuously blackmailed by their CLEANER is kind of a stretch. Over time, it’s pretty easy to find dirts about Heather, enough to put her back in her place. Heather behaving like a peacock, thinking she’s untouchable is funny.

There’s one ridiculous sequence of events. A couple of officers have been instructed to notify Ruth & take her to Cal’s accident spot. Then Tosh firmly tells Sandy she doesn’t want her anywhere near the crime scene. Then why bring her there in the first place? I wouldn’t blame Billy for this, he’s very organized. 😆

I watched the second episode this morning. Anybody else? I enjoyed it.

I didn’t twig at first that the older woman who was forced to help the wounded hitman was the same one with the dead sheep.

I snorted when Tosh and the Procurator both turned to look at DI Calder when Cal gave her as his alibi 🤣🤣

I wonder if Calder’s brother and his wife are involved somehow in Ellen’s case (oh who am I kidding? Everyone’s involved somehow, that’s how it always works 😄)

I’m enjoying seeing Tosh running the investigation.

Edited by Capricasix
fix awkward wording
  • Like 7
19 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

For free trips to Shetland, visit Google Earth and let the little yellow man take you down some of the roads and to scenic vistas. 

I’ve done that - I actually found the police station and the exterior of Jimmy’s house 😄

• Like 3
  • Wink 2

Calder's involvement with a possible suspect  was funny yet really dumb.  And she knew it.

I didn't realize that the older woman was the one with the sheep "attacks" -- until I read it above.  Thanks.

The Bains must have hundreds of secrets, lol.

I enjoyed the episode.  Tosh is showing her top skills now.

• Like 5

I agree with you mledawn I thought it was a great season.  I do like that there were so many shady people and therefore lots of suspects.  Lots of thoughts on the ending but like you I don't want to spoil it.

• Like 4
On 12/8/2023 at 12:32 AM, J-Man said:

Just watched S8E1 - what happened to Tosh's husband and baby? They weren't mentioned at all.

Jamie Sives looks so much better with shorter hair.

But far older. Took me a minute during the first ep street scene, but eventually, it was the voice (and eyes) that clinched it. Still like the regulars, setting, and story, but if Ruth is going to end up staying, I’m not sure I want to endure her home town baggage. They didn’t think we’d enjoy it without “flawed, with angst”?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Daff said:

if Ruth is going to end up staying, I’m not sure I want to endure her home town baggage. They didn’t think we’d enjoy it without “flawed, with angst”?

It's a procedural law that at least one cop has to have a tragic backstory of one sort or another. And a troubled teenage daughter. Zzzzz. 

I'm also tired of the hometown people ragging on the ones who leave. A lot of hometowns can't offer what people want, so you go where you need to. Why is that such a huge problem? It's not a betrayal. Ugh.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's a procedural law that at least one cop has to have a tragic backstory of one sort or another. And a troubled teenage daughter. Zzzzz. 

I'm also tired of the hometown people ragging on the ones who leave. A lot of hometowns can't offer what people want, so you go where you need to. Why is that such a huge problem? It's not a betrayal. Ugh.

I agree with your post wholeheartedly, yet I got the impression that the hometown folks were annoyed with her not for leaving, but for her outrageous behavior before she left. If that’s the case, they’ll never forgive her younger behavior, nor will they accept she’s grown or changed (and I’m not so sure she has).

• Like 2

Just finished episode 2. I'm really liking the combination of Ruth and Tosh. Tosh has shown a lot of leadership growth since Jimmy left. (I don't find myself thinking about Jimmy at all.) No mention at all of Julie Graham's Rhona, who had a lot more gravitas than this guy (whose name I cannot recall). 

I understand the need for Ruth's backstory in Shetland but it annoys me the same way that spending so much time on Jimmy's backstory annoyed me. It takes time away from the mystery. 

Continue to love the music and the scenery. Hope this gets renewed. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Daff said:

I got the impression that the hometown folks were annoyed with her not for leaving, but for her outrageous behavior before she left. If that’s the case, they’ll never forgive her younger behavior, nor will they accept she’s grown or changed (and I’m not so sure she has).

True. Ruth was damned if she stayed, damned if she didn't in this case. Though I wonder how bad her behavior actually was. I'm sure there was a very healthy serving of misogyny and sexism in how it was judged.

I find her family problems kind of boring as well, though the sister-in-law is more than she seems to be, which is interesting. (If a bit too convenient for the plot, but some of that is unavoidable.)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LisaM said:

No mention at all of Julie Graham's Rhona, who had a lot more gravitas than this guy (whose name I cannot recall. 

The new fiscal’s name is Harry and yeah, seems a bit of a dud so far. It’s odd they would have a seemingly junior fiscal on Shetland with a “temporary” DI. I have faith in the writers that he is worthy, though.

Ooh, that was a good episode! I remember from the very first ep of the series that Shetland still has traditions related to their Norse background (eg the Up Helly Aa festival), so I wonder if the tattoo symbol and the corn doll are connected to those traditions.

Very much enjoying Tosh leading the investigation. And Billy is always your guy if you need chips, or a hot cup of tea and a scone!

• Like 5

Episode 3 - lots of red herrings. Liked the conversation between Ruth and Tosh about "Temporary DI". Potentially interesting connection between Ruth and the Bains. Still not feeling Harry, the fiscal. 

• Like 1

“Damn! I had written a post this morning when I finished the ep, but it didn’t post because of the upgrade, and I’ve forgotten what I wrote 😄

Anyway, good episode again! I’m sad there are only two remaining. Trying to resist the temptation to 🏴‍☠️ them (arr matey). I hope the show is renewed; I’m enjoying Tosh and Ruth working together.”

I wrote this a few days ago when the site was having issues, and I see that it never posted, but the editor helpfully retained it. Which is good because I couldn’t remember what I had written!

I still wish the series was a little longer. Six episodes just doesn’t seem like enough…Anyway, I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s ep. Enjoying the season and not really missing Jimmy all that much, I have to say!

• Like 2

I'm conflicted, as I like Ruth & want her to stay, but I also want Tosh in charge as DI, not just acting.  But Ruth has seniority and more experience.  

Can Ruth replace Fiscal Harry?  I know he investigates and decides on who gets prosecuted, but not much more. 

That would be ideal, or they could give Tosh her DI and she & Ruth could share the leadership role in the station.    

• Like 2

I do miss the "gravitas" of Jimmy. I don't mean just his seriousness, I mean his dramatic weight, his magnetic pull.  It really anchored the show. Ruth doesn't quite provide that, and Tosh sure doesn't.

It may be all due to Tosh's tentativeness in her new role. (Which I admit, does get less and less with each episode.) I'm sure the final episode of the season will see her introducing herself as DI, without the temporary. Maybe in the season after this one, she'll have that gravitas that Jimmy provided.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying this season for what it is.

• Like 3

Poor Sandy. It seems like everyone is either ragging on him or walking all over him. I don't remember him being such a pushover.

I wish they hadn't killed off Cal. I like the actor and thought it would've been interesting to see Ruth navigate their relationship.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Poor Sandy. It seems like everyone is either ragging on him or walking all over him. I don't remember him being such a pushover.

I guess he feels like he's on thin ice, having been sidelined (without pay?) by Jimmy for whatever that infraction was. Maybe he feels he's lucky to be back at work at all?

But wouldn't that make Sandy more likely to follow Tosh's orders instead of giving in to Ruth's requests? I don't know.

I like seeing Tosh so capable and decisive. If the show continues, I wonder if we'll see her struggling with ceding the DI role to Ruth.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, LisaM said:

I wish that they would bring back Julie Graham's Rhona as the fiscal. Harry is just not cutting it for me. 

I wish they would give us something on him. Where'd Rhona go? Who is this guy? Where did he come from? They just snuck him on the show and expected the audience to just roll with it.

• Like 5

An ending that I did not anticipate. 

Loved how Tosh finally left off the "Temporary" when answering the phone. 

Hope it gets renewed. 

• Like 10
13 hours ago, LisaM said:

Loved how Tosh finally left off the "Temporary" when answering the phone.

I predicted that would happen in the season finale! Yay me!

One week ago I wrote how I was starting to miss Jimmy again. Now I'm not. This episode was fantastic.

The ending, with Ruth walking contented through Lerwick (as contented as Ruth can get, at least), could be a decent series finale, but like you, I really hope it was a season finale.

• Like 8

Enjoyed the season, loved Tosh as the "temporary" DI, but I thought Ruth was going to end up replacing Jimmy Perez, yet that hasn't happened. Granted, Ruth is staying on Shetland for another month or so, but it's implied that she will return to her job in London after her holiday break.  I suppose if the show is renewed for another series, Ruth will already be established as the new DI in charge several months or longer since this series' ending.

and didn't they say that Tosh could only be temporary, because to be a "full" DI she'd have to do a stint (at least) somewhere other than Shetland?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, dleighg said:

and didn't they say that Tosh could only be temporary, because to be a "full" DI she'd have to do a stint (at least) somewhere other than Shetland?

Yes, and she didn't want to do that because she'd either have to leave her family in Shetland while she worked elsewhere for a year or two; or her family would have to move with her, and I don't think her hubby/significant other (are they married?) wants to put his career aside or seek work elsewhere. Evidently, whatever he does in Shetland, he has more time to spend with their daughter so she's always left in daycare for long hours every day.

• Like 1

As for the murder, just ewwwww......I really hate incest plots, just incredibly distasteful, no matter that they're a reality. 

They still could have had Kieran kill Ellen, but maybe for something she dug up in his past like a secret family, working for MI5, a murder charge, whatever. 

It's absolutely possible to continue on, or end it right there.  I'd prefer they just end things, because I don't know any more plots they could dredge up in such an insulated place.

Like the show "Luther", I pretend it ended with season 4, since I hated season 5 so much.  I think I'm going to pretend this ended last season, with Jimmy riding off into the sunset.    

• Like 2

Wow, this was a grim season. The ending didn't work for me. If Kieran was going to kill anyone, it should have been Bobby, not Ellen. She couldn't help her parentage.

Poor Rory. His family has been shattered, and there's nothing he can do to fix it.

Was Alan's wife involved with what happened in London, or was it a giant red herring? Either way, there was no resolution.

I like Ashley Jensen, and if there's another season, I won't mind if Ruth stays, though she has to be integrated into the local scene a bit more. I know there were dramatic reasons for that not to be the case in this season.

• Like 5