Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Stenbeck

Vitamins & Supplements

As a 30 year old male, I take the NatureMade Multi for Him vitamin and NatureMade Fish Oil.

I'm interested in the charcoal pills, since they absorb impurities from the body (allegedly), but I'm concerned they'd absorb the good stuff from my multivitamin.

A good friend highly recommends Fo-Ti root, but I've yet to try it?

What vitamins or supplements are you taking?

On 4/21/2018 at 12:46 AM, Stenbeck said:

As a 30 year old male, I take the NatureMade Multi for Him vitamin and NatureMade Fish Oil.

I'm interested in the charcoal pills, since they absorb impurities from the body (allegedly), but I'm concerned they'd absorb the good stuff from my multivitamin.

A good friend highly recommends Fo-Ti root, but I've yet to try it?

What vitamins or supplements are you taking?

I take Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, Fish Oil and Coconut Oil tablets.  I am curious as to which Fish Oil tablets are digested the best.  I know to make sure they have the natural trigycerides, but, the latest brand that I bought, seems to cause me a little tummy problem.  I don't think I am digesting them as well. Not like the last kind, but, I threw the bottle out. So......Anyone have any tips?

Edited by SunnyBeBe

On 4/28/2018 at 9:32 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I take Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, Fish Oil and Coconut Oil tablets.  I am curious as to which Fish Oil tablets are digested the best.  I know to make sure they have the natural trigycerides, but, the latest brand that I bought, seems to cause me a little tummy problem.  I don't think I am digesting them as well. Not like the last kind, but, I threw the bottle out. So......Anyone have any tips?

Sorry to be late--new to this forum.

If it helps any one--my brother has been taking fish oil for many years (I don't) and he says (7-31-18):

"Some people get stomach upset and some don't.  I haven't had any issues.  Always take at meal time.  I have been taking SAM'S CLUB triple strength ( about $19/1000). I understand that the OMEGA 3 fatty acts is the important one for controlling Tri-Glycerides.  There are more expensive fish oils out there.  I have shown this to my Doctor and he approved and told me that this is almost as good as the prescription fish oil thatI was taking (brand name LOVAZA) that was over $120/1000."

Hey SeriousPurrs, I think that I figured out the issue with the Fish Oil.   After my post upthread, I did some research and discovered that there is some confusing info about which is best, but, concluded that I should avoid the Ethyl ester type.  And, apparently the brand of Omega 3 that I bought as Sam's Club (Pure Alaskan Omega) just didn't work for me. I returned to my old brand, Nature's Bounty, from the pharmacy, which did cost more, and it's worked just fine. (I got them on sale and at a good price.)  No real problem digesting them now. 

• Like 1

When I had my cardiology checkup, I asked my doctor if there were any supplements I should be taking  (I'm in my early 50s and have slightly elevated cholesterol). She said no, as long as I eat a couple of servings of fish a week. I told her I don't eat fish at all, and she said if I don't want to take fish oil, I could add flax seed to my diet. I already add it to cereal occasionally, so I'll just step it up.

I highly recommend D3 for anyone with tummy issues (like I used to have) or who avoids lots of sun exposure (as I have for the 25+ years since having melanoma).

• Like 1

Question:  Are vitamins and supplements from anywhere regulated?

I remember reading a few years back that there is virtually no relevant regulation of dietary supplements in the US.  So in a single bottle of supplement tablets that should be 500 mg X, one tablet might actual contain 25 mg X and another 750 mg X.

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Question:  Are vitamins and supplements from anywhere regulated?

I remember reading a few years back that there is virtually no relevant regulation of dietary supplements in the US.  So in a single bottle of supplement tablets that should be 500 mg X, one tablet might actual contain 25 mg X and another 750 mg X.

I found this:

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm118079.htm

• Like 1

In addition to some vitamins, I take D-Mannose each day. Since I began taking them, I have not had a UTI. At first I was buying it at Whole Foods but each bottle was $29 (they had recently raised the price). Now I buy it at Wegman's for $16/bottle.

I am taking Super MIC B12 to treat my b12 deficiency coz of that I was not able to focus on my work. But I took this lipotropic liquid supplement from last 2 months and I am getting results with it. 

I take fish oil and flaxseed tablets. There're numerous conflicting reports on the value of vitamins, but I honestly believe that they are beneficial to my skin and hair.