Type keyword(s) to search

Vitamins & Supplements

• Start Topic

As a 30 year old male, I take the NatureMade Multi for Him vitamin and NatureMade Fish Oil.

I'm interested in the charcoal pills, since they absorb impurities from the body (allegedly), but I'm concerned they'd absorb the good stuff from my multivitamin.

A good friend highly recommends Fo-Ti root, but I've yet to try it?

What vitamins or supplements are you taking?

On 4/21/2018 at 12:46 AM, Stenbeck said:

As a 30 year old male, I take the NatureMade Multi for Him vitamin and NatureMade Fish Oil.

I'm interested in the charcoal pills, since they absorb impurities from the body (allegedly), but I'm concerned they'd absorb the good stuff from my multivitamin.

A good friend highly recommends Fo-Ti root, but I've yet to try it?

What vitamins or supplements are you taking?

I take Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, Fish Oil and Coconut Oil tablets.  I am curious as to which Fish Oil tablets are digested the best.  I know to make sure they have the natural trigycerides, but, the latest brand that I bought, seems to cause me a little tummy problem.  I don't think I am digesting them as well. Not like the last kind, but, I threw the bottle out. So......Anyone have any tips?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 4/28/2018 at 9:32 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I take Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, Fish Oil and Coconut Oil tablets.  I am curious as to which Fish Oil tablets are digested the best.  I know to make sure they have the natural trigycerides, but, the latest brand that I bought, seems to cause me a little tummy problem.  I don't think I am digesting them as well. Not like the last kind, but, I threw the bottle out. So......Anyone have any tips?

Sorry to be late--new to this forum.

If it helps any one--my brother has been taking fish oil for many years (I don't) and he says (7-31-18):

"Some people get stomach upset and some don't.  I haven't had any issues.  Always take at meal time.  I have been taking SAM'S CLUB triple strength ( about $19/1000). I understand that the OMEGA 3 fatty acts is the important one for controlling Tri-Glycerides.  There are more expensive fish oils out there.  I have shown this to my Doctor and he approved and told me that this is almost as good as the prescription fish oil thatI was taking (brand name LOVAZA) that was over $120/1000."

Hey SeriousPurrs, I think that I figured out the issue with the Fish Oil.   After my post upthread, I did some research and discovered that there is some confusing info about which is best, but, concluded that I should avoid the Ethyl ester type.  And, apparently the brand of Omega 3 that I bought as Sam's Club (Pure Alaskan Omega) just didn't work for me. I returned to my old brand, Nature's Bounty, from the pharmacy, which did cost more, and it's worked just fine. (I got them on sale and at a good price.)  No real problem digesting them now. 

• Love 1

Question:  Are vitamins and supplements from anywhere regulated?

I remember reading a few years back that there is virtually no relevant regulation of dietary supplements in the US.  So in a single bottle of supplement tablets that should be 500 mg X, one tablet might actual contain 25 mg X and another 750 mg X.

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I remember reading a few years back that there is virtually no relevant regulation of dietary supplements in the US.  So in a single bottle of supplement tablets that should be 500 mg X, one tablet might actual contain 25 mg X and another 750 mg X.

I found this:

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm118079.htm

• Love 1

In addition to some vitamins, I take D-Mannose each day. Since I began taking them, I have not had a UTI. At first I was buying it at Whole Foods but each bottle was $29 (they had recently raised the price). Now I buy it at Wegman's for $16/bottle.

On 11/17/2021 at 1:32 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Has anyone used red rice yeast to lower cholesterol? I've had problems and had to go off all the prescriptions I've tried so far. Violently bad reaction to statins.

Statins are very hard on me.  Lipitor put me in the hospital.  I FINALLY a got one that works without any side affects.  It’s called “Livalo” 2 mg.  No side affects and my count went to about 175 or so.  Got them from my Cardiologist.  The only one that didn’t make me feel sick.

• Useful 1

My B12 levels were too high, so my doctor had me switch to taking my multivitamin every other day for 6 months. 
In another month I'm going to get my blood checked again (for a lot of crap) and will see if the B12 levels are down to normal range.
A point here is that B12 is included in all multivitamins. 

On 8/8/2022 at 9:49 PM, kristen111 said:

...Has anyone taken Ginger Root for nausea?  Just bought a bottle today.  Do they work, and how many a day?  Any side affects?

My experience is that Ginger Root is great for nausea, but for me, only when I buy fresh ginger root in the produce section of the grocery store, slice off a few slivers, and pour boiling water over it. 
I let it steep for a couple of minutes (longer might be better?) and then add a tiny bit of honey (but maybe better without?).

17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My B12 levels were too high, so my doctor had me switch to taking my multivitamin every other day for 6 months. 
In another month I'm going to get my blood checked again (for a lot of crap) and will see if the B12 levels are down to normal range.
A point here is that B12 is included in all multivitamins. 

My experience is that Ginger Root is great for nausea, but for me, only when I buy fresh ginger root in the produce section of the grocery store, slice off a few slivers, and pour boiling water over it. 
I let it steep for a couple of minutes (longer might be better?) and then add a tiny bit of honey (but maybe better without?).

So I took one ginger root at 4 pm after some food.  At 2 in the morning I felt like I had labor pains down low in the pelvic area.  After about 100 trips to the bathroom in pain, they stopped around 2 pm.  If I hadn’t taken the ginger, I would have called 911 no knowing what was going on.  In the meantime, I drank gallons of water to flush it out.  I cannot take any vitamin, B12, fish oil, C, anything.  They all make me sick for some reason.  My Mother was the same.  They are not for me.  It’s weird because in the day, I took the baby vitamin bombs for three kids.  Go figure.  It’s not in my mind either.  Anyhow, my nausea finally went away.  Maybe it’s the shots they give me for my spine at Pain Mgmt.  I heard this doctor puts vitamins in his shot concoctions.  Hopefully, I won’t have to take anything after my spine surgery in about eight weeks.  Yikes.

• Sad 1
21 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I cannot take any vitamin, B12, fish oil, C, anything.  They all make me sick for some reason.  My Mother was the same.  They are not for me.  

I think vitamin C is best for the young (but not babies). After age 50 it's all about acid reflux.

14 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

It’s not in my mind either.

No, it's real. I have bad reactions to stuff too. Codeine+Tylenol increases and spreads the pain. Most medications (like the anti-nausea drug, Zofran, used for chemo) give me migraines.
Maybe I should not be taking multivitamins at all? I'll ask my doctor in October.

Tiny doses of morphine worked when my stomach felt like it was on fire from chemo attacking the lining. 
Unfortunately, I've moved too many times to have a doctor who knows me well enough to prescribe a bottle of morphine for me to have a drop or 2 of the next time a dental procedure goes bad. My nearly full bottle from 2016 expired, and I was advised by the pharmacist that it was no longer really morphine, so I tossed it during that last move.
My family's genes are the opposite of those who tend towards chemical addiction. We're just obsessive compulsive, heh.

12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I think vitamin C is best for the young (but not babies). After age 50 it's all about acid reflux.

No, it's real. I have bad reactions to stuff too. Codeine+Tylenol increases and spreads the pain. Most medications (like the anti-nausea drug, Zofran, used for chemo) give me migraines.
Maybe I should not be taking multivitamins at all? I'll ask my doctor in October.

Tiny doses of morphine worked when my stomach felt like it was on fire from chemo attacking the lining. 
Unfortunately, I've moved too many times to have a doctor who knows me well enough to prescribe a bottle of morphine for me to have a drop or 2 of the next time a dental procedure goes bad. My nearly full bottle from 2016 expired, and I was advised by the pharmacist that it was no longer really morphine, so I tossed it during that last move.
My family's genes are the opposite of those who tend towards chemical addiction. We're just obsessive compulsive, heh.

I hate Tylenol.  It makes my head fuzzy and is useless.  Aspirin is for me with no side affects.  I come from a migraine family.  I take and can tolerate a concoction of aspirin and codeine for migraine.  It works with no side affects.  I get periodic endoscopies, and my stomach is fine.  Lots of people have reflux.  Husband and I take Gaviscon, and it works for reflux.  It’s like Tums, but much better.  If you get migraine, PM me.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

If you get migraine, PM me.

I started taking sumatriptan in 1997 for migraine, which was a life changer.
Now that I'm retired and have less exposure to fragrances, I don't get them so much.
But acid reflux meds gave me migraines, so I manage through diet.

Sorry to go off topic.

But I am curious if I am the only one with too high of a B12 measurement in my blood test.

My last blood test showed a D3 deficiency. I don't go out much so not a big surprise. I cut way back on the supplements I took about 9 months ago. I found I was throwing them up more often than not, whole pills. Now I drink a multi vitamin powered drink maybe twice a week.  I also drink Boost Glucose control each morning for breakfast which is full of vitamins that I seem to be able to absorb just fine. I guess method of delivery counts for something...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/18/2022 at 12:49 PM, shapeshifter said:

I started taking sumatriptan in 1997 for migraine, which was a life changer.
Now that I'm retired and have less exposure to fragrances, I don't get them so much.
But acid reflux meds gave me migraines, so I manage through diet.

Sorry to go off topic.

But I am curious if I am the only one with too high of a B12 measurement in my blood test.

My last blood test showed low on B-12, D (havent been out much) and that’s it.  I can’t take any vitamins as they all make me sick.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:11 AM, DeLurker said:

One of the biggest problems (in the US, anyway) is that supplements are so lightly regulated that there is wiggle room for a lot of fraud. Sometimes they do not contain the stated nutrients at all but rather a cheaper related variant that may or may not have the same medicinal effect. The most reputable supplement manufacturers have their products tested by an independent third-party quality verification lab (USP, AOAC, NSF, and Consumer Labs are examples of such). 

Before buying any supplement check out the seller's "Testing" or "Quality" page on their website. Reputable supplement manufacturers will clearly state their third-party testing process. If they don't specify the name of the verification lab, and fail to provide details on the testing process, you'd be wise to avoid them.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

So it was a year ago I asked my question. Thank you kristen111 for responding. How was your surgery?

Now I've had bad reactions to every prescription cholesterol medication my doctor has tried to put me on, including the non-statin ones. The one that lasted the longest was Nexlotl which had only been on the market for about a year at that time. Took it for 6-7 months. No generic, constant fights with the insurance company and manufacturer to not pay full price, had to keep getting samples. My test results were great but I started having small problems that just wouldn't go away and got worse and worse. Finally looked up the side effects and I was having them all, so quit that one too. Heartburn so bad I ended up in the bathroom expecting to throw up, eurgh.

What has worked is I was finally able to loose some weight. Everything went down, enough that my doctor didn't feel the need to try another medication, and about 3 months ago I started taking fish oil for the triglycerides and did try the red yeast rice. Saw my doctor yesterday and the cholesterol and triglycerides were lower than my last tests. Triglycerides by almost 60 points! And when I looked at the red yeast bottle I was only taking half the serving I should have been so hopefully that will bring it down more. Supplements can be squirrelly as noted above, so I will stick with this brand. And it came from Walmart so won't be hard to keep finding. I have a history of weird reactions to medications. so I'm pretty shocked the yeast and fish oil are working at all.

• Like 1

Apparently, I need more protein.  A dietitian I spoke with suggested a protein powder, but I checked the ingredients and it's full of fillers.  Why do professionals do this?  It's so gross!  I finally found something that might be okay.  It's basically ground pumpkin seed.  I probably just should have gone with pumpkin seed butter instead.  Less...processed.  Sorry, I really don't understand why people like super-processed supplements.  Most things sound gross to me.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, PRgal said:

Apparently, I need more protein.  A dietitian I spoke with suggested a protein powder, but I checked the ingredients and it's full of fillers.  Why do professionals do this?  It's so gross!  I finally found something that might be okay.  It's basically ground pumpkin seed.  I probably just should have gone with pumpkin seed butter instead.  Less...processed.  Sorry, I really don't understand why people like super-processed supplements.  Most things sound gross to me.

Why not eat more chicken and/or fish and/or eggs (assuming you don't eat meat?)??? I always notice in your posts in the food forum that you are having tofu: not a good plan given that soy mimics estrogen in the female body so you are setting yourself up for estrogen driven breast cancer down the line. Eat real food, not processed food (and tofu is just highly processed soy). And a better source of protein (if you are a vegan) is the thousand year old proven combo of rice and beans (use black beans or pinto beans or lentils): vegetarians the world over have thrived on that diet plus lots of fruits and vegies.

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Why not eat more chicken and/or fish and/or eggs (assuming you don't eat meat?)??? I always notice in your posts in the food forum that you are having tofu: not a good plan given that soy mimics estrogen in the female body so you are setting yourself up for estrogen driven breast cancer down the line. Eat real food, not processed food (and tofu is just highly processed soy). And a better source of protein (if you are a vegan) is the thousand year old proven combo of rice and beans (use black beans or pinto beans or lentils): vegetarians the world over have thrived on that diet plus lots of fruits and vegies.

The Mayo Clinic says a moderate amount of soy is okay:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/soy-breast-cancer-risk/faq-20120377

Soy is also very much part of many East Asian diets and has been for a few thousand years.  We’ve done okay.  I always seek out non-GMO anyway.  I do eat beans and legumes, but I have trouble digesting some of them.  I don’t seem to have issues with cannellini, most lentils and small amounts of chickpeas though. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Soy is also very much part of many East Asian diets and has been for a few thousand years.  We’ve done okay.  I always seek out non-GMO anyway.  I do eat beans and legumes, but I have trouble digesting some of them.  I don’t seem to have issues with cannellini, most lentils and small amounts of chickpeas though. 

Yeah, I get that but you are specifically eating tofu, which is highly processed soy, and you said something above about avoiding super-processed supplements. If you need more protein then again, why not eat chicken, fish or eggs (the latter of which still have a million delicious possibilities despite their increased cost lately)? Or are you vegan? I hope if so you keep monitoring your B12 levels because there have been a number of people lately ailing since you can only get B12 from animal products unless you get shots.

I just had a lot of blood work done over the last three months for non-dietary reasons and it justified my 55 year long avoidance of all things other than fresh food, freshly made for the most part (I'm a old hippie chick so spent my teenage and college years in Laurel and Topanga Canyons in Los Angeles or at the beach, eating fish, chicken, salads and fruit and big pots of stew). No vitamins, no nothing and all the docs are amazed at how healthy I am compared to most people my age. Every study I've seen seems to indicate you absorb nutrients more effectively and usefully from food than from vitamin pills or supplements.

1 minute ago, isalicat said:

tofu, which is highly processed soy,

Tofu is a very simple food, consisting of soybeans, water, and nigari. 
When I was younger and stronger and soymilk was not commercially available, I used to make soymilk every 2 weeks, and occasionally tofu too, but my best friend supported her kids by making tofu and selling it to local health food stores, so I usually bought tofu from her.

See also: thespruceeats.com/how-to-make-tofu-1001574

All that said, soymilk is less processed.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Yeah, I get that but you are specifically eating tofu, which is highly processed soy, and you said something above about avoiding super-processed supplements. If you need more protein then again, why not eat chicken, fish or eggs (the latter of which still have a million delicious possibilities despite their increased cost lately)? Or are you vegan? I hope if so you keep monitoring your B12 levels because there have been a number of people lately ailing since you can only get B12 from animal products unless you get shots.

I just had a lot of blood work done over the last three months for non-dietary reasons and it justified my 55 year long avoidance of all things other than fresh food, freshly made for the most part (I'm a old hippie chick so spent my teenage and college years in Laurel and Topanga Canyons in Los Angeles or at the beach, eating fish, chicken, salads and fruit and big pots of stew). No vitamins, no nothing and all the docs are amazed at how healthy I am compared to most people my age. Every study I've seen seems to indicate you absorb nutrients more effectively and usefully from food than from vitamin pills or supplements.

Not nearly as professed as many other things people eat.  If tofu is processed, so is…well…bread.  You might as well eat things in your garden raw.  

American Heart Association on tofu:

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/10/10/clearing-up-questions-on-whether-tofu-is-healthy

• Like 2
19 hours ago, PRgal said:

Not nearly as professed as many other things people eat.  If tofu is processed, so is…well…bread.  You might as well eat things in your garden raw.  

American Heart Association on tofu:

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/10/10/clearing-up-questions-on-whether-tofu-is-healthy

Which is why I eat paleo: fresh food, freshly prepared. No bread (except as an occasional treat because I'm not into being a fanatic - fanatics are boring). I eat raw vegies (salad, pretty much every day for lunch with left over chicken or meat thrown in) and fruit the way Mother Nature made it (no juice!). Can't recommend it enough for feeling the best you possibly can and lowering your chances of all sorts of diseases and uncomfortable conditions.

37 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Which is why I eat paleo: fresh food, freshly prepared. No bread (except as an occasional treat because I'm not into being a fanatic - fanatics are boring). I eat raw vegies (salad, pretty much every day for lunch with left over chicken or meat thrown in) and fruit the way Mother Nature made it (no juice!). Can't recommend it enough for feeling the best you possibly can and lowering your chances of all sorts of diseases and uncomfortable conditions.

Some would disagree and recommend Okinawa, Mediterranean or the (lesser known) Nordic diets.  Paleo doesn't work for everyone nor does Keto.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, PRgal said:

Some would disagree and recommend Okinawa, Mediterranean or the (lesser known) Nordic diets.  Paleo doesn't work for everyone nor does Keto.  

I absolutely agree. But none of these diets include highly processed food, do they? And it seems like what most people with illnesses or obesity that are diet related have in common is the ingestion of what we find commonly on the first world plate: bread, french fries, pancakes, cookies, etc. etc. I just read that 1/2 of American children below the age of five do not eat a single fresh fruit or vegetable on a regular day (and I would guess those over 5 that do get something fresh, get it as part of their school lunch rather than at home).

To get back on topic, I'm about to start taking a regular supplement, actually, for the first time since I was pregnant (that was 32 years ago, so its been a while). In a compromise with my medical oncologist, instead of estrogen suppressing drugs (that have some serious side effects) I will be taking grapeseed extract daily (actually studied by the NIH for its estrogen suppressing effects!). I gather you take it with food, so I'm guessing it might upset an empty stomach. Anyone here have any experience with it?

6 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I absolutely agree. But none of these diets include highly processed food, do they? And it seems like what most people with illnesses or obesity that are diet related have in common is the ingestion of what we find commonly on the first world plate: bread, french fries, pancakes, cookies, etc. etc. I just read that 1/2 of American children below the age of five do not eat a single fresh fruit or vegetable on a regular day (and I would guess those over 5 that do get something fresh, get it as part of their school lunch rather than at home).

To get back on topic, I'm about to start taking a regular supplement, actually, for the first time since I was pregnant (that was 32 years ago, so its been a while). In a compromise with my medical oncologist, instead of estrogen suppressing drugs (that have some serious side effects) I will be taking grapeseed extract daily (actually studied by the NIH for its estrogen suppressing effects!). I gather you take it with food, so I'm guessing it might upset an empty stomach. Anyone here have any experience with it?

No, they do not.  And I do not eat highly processed foods that much nor does my son.  They're for special occasions only.  Keto and Paleo do not work for me - what I eat might be seen as a hybrid of Okinawa and Mediterranean with a bit of Cantonese thrown in (can't forget my heritage (though some might say that I might not have full Cantonese roots since my (maiden) name traces back to a landlocked part of northern China (yep, "flyover country") where the cuisine isn't as vibrant as Cantonese or Shanghainese foods)).  

3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Maybe clarify with your doctor or ask the pharmacist?  In any case, the container might  have information on how to take it…

On 2/17/2023 at 6:27 PM, isalicat said:

Every study I've seen seems to indicate you absorb nutrients more effectively and usefully from food than from vitamin pills or supplements.

I agree about getting your nutrients from food if you can, but if you have allergies and/or IBS (as I do) you don't necessarily absorb all you need, even with a mostly healthful diet.

I had my blood tested a couple times a day when I was in the hospital. I was super low on potassium, magnesium and folate. I had to drink those nasty potassium drinks and had magnesium supplemented through my IV. I had anemia from low folate so had to take that supplement too. I started feeling a lot better and energetic after getting those in balance, so I now take a multi-vitamin plus use a magnesium oil spray (I read that it doesn't absorb as well through the stomach, but does so on the skin).

I'm thinking of just doing the folic acid tablets and magnesium spray along with my D3 gummies (that I was already taking). I get plenty of calcium from food and I read that it can be dangerous if you take too much in tablet form. I don't need C because I eat plenty of fruit. I thought I was getting enough potassium from food but obviously not.

I worry about getting too much of some nutrients from supplements which is not good either, so I'm wary of taking the multi-vitamin too often. I take it once every second or third day for now.

• Like 1

I read (several decades ago) that our food no longer has those nutrients we used to depend upon because farmers/agribusiness are not rotating crops (or whatever they're supposed to do to keep the soil enriched). That's why I take a one a day for women + other vitamins. Whenever I'm tested, I never have any lack of whatever I'm supposed to have to function. I always show my list of vitamins & a few supplements with my doctors. We're all different so the trick is to figure out which vitamins, supplements work for us and which ones to avoid. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I've been adding a capsule of blue-green algae to a small Noosa yogurt, every day, for the last two or three weeks. I remembered it helping me when my mum bought it, when I was a teenager, and again almost twenty years ago - geez, another Rebecca Howe moment. ("Has it been that long?") I think it's helping. My vertigo is mostly gone, and I've felt a bit better emotionally. Had more energy. I didn't think I was going to pull even slightly out of that really dark depression. I wasn't doing well at all, and things are still stressful. I'm having trouble sleeping, though. I've been taking Vitamin D, too. First in gummie form, and now I'm back to the liquid, just adding it to the same yogurt as the algae.

My dad's lost his mail bag route, and they're going to try to keep him going with next-day air, otherwise he's out of a job. :/ He's been looking for a new one, but didn't like the sound of a couple that he was going to interview for. Time-wise it sounds just as bad, if not worse, and they also weren't guaranteed work. 

I also managed to crack another tooth, and a bit broke off. I hate this. I contacted a dentist that I found, but they didn't get back to me. We're going to try to call them. I'm eating soft foods, and trying not to push it. I ate more tonight, but am going to backtrack again. 

My former feral also got out on Saturday, and I haven't seen him. A neighbour thought she saw him outside her fence, the next day, but he hasn't come back for food, the way he was almost every day, before I got him back indoors. 

• Hugs 1
On 4/16/2023 at 11:52 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I read (several decades ago) that our food no longer has those nutrients we used to depend upon because farmers/agribusiness are not rotating crops (or whatever they're supposed to do to keep the soil enriched). That's why I take a one a day for women + other vitamins. Whenever I'm tested, I never have any lack of whatever I'm supposed to have to function. I always show my list of vitamins & a few supplements with my doctors. We're all different so the trick is to figure out which vitamins, supplements work for us and which ones to avoid. 

I keep meaning to try a liquid vitamin (all the vitamins), because I've had this horrible stomach condition that makes me sick a lot, and there is no way I'm getting nutrients that I need. That's one reason my teeth are a problem (vomiting, plus lack of nutrition). The supplements can give me heartburn, though. 

I've ordered more colloidal minerals, raspberry flavour from NOW. I keep forgetting them, and had a bottle go off in the fridge. Out of sight, out of mind.

41 minutes ago, Anela said:

I keep meaning to try a liquid vitamin (all the vitamins), because I've had this horrible stomach condition that makes me sick a lot, and there is no way I'm getting nutrients that I need. That's one reason my teeth are a problem (vomiting, plus lack of nutrition). The supplements can give me heartburn, though. 

Just make sure you get a colonoscopy when you're elligible, and if your stomach condition makes you shy of doing the colonoscopy prep (which I totally understand!) you could at least do the Cologuard test, although . . . .
Sorry to butt in with the PSA, but I had these and other symptoms before finally being diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. 

And now back to this thread's regularly scheduled topic, while I go get my primary care doctor-recommended D3 and calcium supplements for the day, which, may or may not be why my last osteoporosis test showed my bone density was so much improved.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Anela said:

The supplements can give me heartburn, though. 

It looks like you do take them with food. If I don't, I get very nauseated. I also take an acid reducer, which I take in the morning, and then wait until after breakfast to take supplements.

So sorry about your health issues. I've had my own with IBS and yes we have more difficulty absorbing nutrients from food. 

I hope your kitty is safe and comes home. :(

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Just make sure you get a colonoscopy when you're elligible, and if your stomach condition makes you shy of doing the colonoscopy prep (which I totally understand!) you could at least do the Cologuard test, although . . . .
Sorry to butt in with the PSA, but I had these and other symptoms before finally being diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. 

And now back to this thread's regularly scheduled topic, while I go get my primary care doctor-recommended D3 and calcium supplements for the day, which, may or may not be why my last osteoporosis test showed my bone density was so much improved.

I'm due a colonoscopy. I have to be careful with the prep because I react very strongly to the drinks, so I do less than they recommend. I hear it is a pill and not drinks now. So sorry about the colon cancer. 

I have osteoporosis, which I believe is a result of allergies and IBS. I've done my own research and additional D3, calcium, and weight bearing exercise is a good regimen.

• Like 1
On 5/2/2023 at 6:56 AM, Anela said:

I've ordered more colloidal minerals, raspberry flavour from NOW. I keep forgetting them, and had a bottle go off in the fridge. Out of sight, out of mind.

Can you take the gummy version of vitamins? Have you ever taken a digestive enzyme before a meal?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Can you take the gummy version of vitamins? Have you ever taken a digestive enzyme before a meal?

I take one of these each day: TopCare Health Essential Multivitamin One Daily
They were the only adult, non-chewy, non-sweetened vitamins I could find that just had around 100% of the recommended dose instead of thousands of times more.
My stomach has always been sensitive to artificial sweeteners.

I keep forgetting them, and had a bottle go off in the fridge. Out of sight, out of mind.

I keep mine in the fridge too, but keep about a week or 2 out in a tin so I can easily put them on the table in the morning. If I don't get them all down (also take calcium and D3 for my old bones) at breakfast, I eventually take them with other meals. There's still one of my 3 calcium supplements on the table right now, LOL.

• Useful 1
On 6/22/2023 at 4:23 PM, shapeshifter said:

I take one of these each day: TopCare Health Essential Multivitamin One Daily
They were the only adult, non-chewy, non-sweetened vitamins I could find that just had around 100% of the recommended dose instead of thousands of times more.
My stomach has always been sensitive to artificial sweeteners.

It is so difficult to find them without over 100% and without iron. With IBS the artificial sweeteners are a guaranteed trip to the restroom.

• Fire 1

Have any of you ever had to take a prescription strength Vitamin D supplement?  I had a regular check up yesterday and my labwork showed that my Vit D level was really low.  It's only capsule a week for three months and then just an OTC supplement after that.  I've never had that show up before, but some of the symptoms fit some that I've had recently.  So, I'm hoping to see some improvement (of course, sticking to my diet will probably also help!).

3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Have any of you ever had to take a prescription strength Vitamin D supplement?  I had a regular check up yesterday and my labwork showed that my Vit D level was really low.  It's only capsule a week for three months and then just an OTC supplement after that.  I've never had that show up before, but some of the symptoms fit some that I've had recently.  So, I'm hoping to see some improvement (of course, sticking to my diet will probably also help!).

No, but a good friend of mine has had to for many years.  It's been working just fine for her, something she doesn't even think about.

• Like 1
On 7/18/2023 at 7:08 PM, BooksRule said:

Have any of you ever had to take a prescription strength Vitamin D supplement?

I've had one prescribed. Now I take a D3 gummy to keep my levels up. I've read about many problems that can occur with a deficiency and most of us are low.

• Like 1
(edited)

I think this goes here? Can anyone recommend decent tasting protein shakes or bars or powders? I need to get more protein (I eat chicken, turkey, and ground beef but I'm allergic to most seafood) and my doctor recommended supplementing but she didn't have any specific brand recommendations. Everything I've tried in the past has been chalky or had weird chemical aftertastes.

Edited by emma675