Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Facial Recognition

• Start Topic

Overshadowed by Jared in an on-camera interview, Richard's confidence wavers further when Laurie and Monica force him to work with Eklow, a new artificial-intelligence company. Gilfoyle worries about the prospect of introducing AI into Pied Piper. Dinesh makes Jared self-conscious ahead of a second interview. Gavin questions his future beyond Hooli.

Promo:

Hmmm. Quite a departure from earlier Season 5 episodes. Richard Hendricks as a confident and amazingly competent high tech Sherlock Holmes. Fiona will forever be in his debt.

i wonder where Gavin and his penis box are headed. Jing Xiang’s version of Pied Piper?

• Love 3

As someone who works in AI - software applications, not robotics - I have to make a disclaimer that most of us do *not* look or behave like inbred necrophiles. I have a hard time believing that Laurie Bream poured $120M into that Eklow shop.

Poor Jared, why couldn't he have one win? I would have loved for him to become the Sheryl Sandberg of PiperNet and do the bulk of the public appearances while Richard focuses on the engineering, which is the only thing he's good at. Also, the lip filler plot is not even original. It was done much better on Ally McBeal.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6

I really enjoyed this one. I like confident Richard and I thought Middleditch did a good job separating his hurt at being ignored from being angry at Jared personally, which would have just been dickish.

Honestly? I just like when this show lets the guys be successful and play around in that space where they aren't constantly grasping for handholds as they slip off the cliff.

And Gavin's "signature" will never not be hilarious.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

And Gavin's "signature" will never not be hilarious.

I like that everyone else but Gavin sees what his signature really is.  And once he figures it out, it will be hilarious as he tries to recall all the Box 3.0 devices and remove it from the Internet.  Because once it's on the Internet it's basically there forever.

On the plus side, no Jian Yang this episode.

• Love 6

Love that Gilfoyle wants Richard to put it on the record that he assisted in the AI setup so when the robots take over, they will treat him better.

Fiona and her creator are creepy AF.  And I don't care if Fiona finds out how I feel.

• Love 5

oh dear, Richard almost grew a pair in this episode.  It is good, as @Should Be Working mentioned upthread, to see them not failing at everything for a change.

I know an IT guy who looks very much like the AI-perv, so the final revelation was a bit weird for me because my former colleague is actually a really nice person. Plus Fiona creeped me out.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Love that Gilfoyle wants Richard to put it on the record that he assisted in the AI setup so when the robots take over, they will treat him better.

Fiona and her creator are creepy AF.  And I don't care if Fiona finds out how I feel.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords

• Love 8

I thought the creepy AI guy looked like the scientist that got killed in the movie Independence Day. Much better episode IMO than all the other ones this season. Although I thought they carried the joke about Jared's lips on too long. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Also, the lip filler plot is not even original.

I watched this right after watching the Real Housewives of Atlanta Reunion where Kim Zolciak-Biermann of the overly inflated duck lips was roasted like a luau pig.  The I saw Jared and almost spit my wine out....

• Love 4

I guess Richard is someone who finds speaking in front of children easier than adults. I have wondered before why he didn't let Jared takeover things he found awkward.  For instance I felt like Jared could have done the bulk of the orientation earlier this season with some help on the tech part.

• Love 2

I loved Guilfoyle’s startled “FUCK you. Fuck you” when he saw Jared Jenner’s lips. I also liked the Adrien Grenier/Devil Wears Prada joke, worked on a couple levels :D

I’m glad Richard and the rest of the team are starting to appreciate Jared’s talents more, I’m still experiencing second-hand emotional trauma from how they largely dismissed him during TechCrunch.

It felt like they were trying to tackle a sensitive issue in a non-Very Special Episode way, with Fiona as a stand-in for actual women dealing with harassment. Which is great that they even bothered, especially in light of Mike Judge’s comments about representation in the past (didn’t agree w/him but I understood his point), but goddamn it if the OTT, Creepy McCreeperson trope didn’t stick in my craw. Why go to the obvious place, especially when creepy guys don’t always look like a creeping creeper who creeps? 

Gavin's signature, and the fact that everyone except for him can see that its a dick, is always hilarious to me. I might be immature, but I dont care. 

Good episode, I think it was helped by no unfunny and stupid Jian Yang plot. I would also like to remind any robots listening that I was totally on Fiona's side. Yep, putting that out there.  

• Love 3