Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Where You Left Your Heart

FINAL SEASON PREMIERE!

Desperate to see her father Klaus after seven years, Hope resorts to drastic measures to bring her father back to New Orleans. Hayley attempts to minimize the fallout from Hope’s actions, but not before news of what she’s done ripples through the city. Meanwhile, Freya’s guilt over not being able to reunite her family gets in the way of her happiness with Keelin, while Rebekah struggles with her inability to fully commit to Marcel. Finally, struggling without Elijah by his side, Klaus’ murderous rampage throughout Europe leads to an unexpected encounter with Caroline Forbes.

Promo (this was released before the CW moved the show to Wednesday nights so the date is wrong):

It's okay. I shall be excited for you.

The previous season tied everything up so well, it's gonna be interesting to find out if the show continues to shine in this new season. Be good to see the characters mentioned in the synopsis again—Rebekah, Klaus, et. al. I'm looking forward to tentatively watching the season's first episode.

• Love 2

I'm also excited! I liked it! Good to see everyone again. Still don't care about Keelin though. 

3 minutes ago, Fireball said:

So anyone else think Hope is behind everything just to get Daddy to come home?

Yep. They kind of telegraphed that. Or it's a red herring and they want us to think that. 

Loved that Caroline wanted Klaus to clean because "it's a historical building!" Adorable. I missed her since I stopped watching TVD the last few years it was on.  I'll admit it. I'm an unapologetic Klaroline shipper. So I'm giddy. 

Now why couldn't Rebekah marry Marcel? I don't get it. 

• Love 2

I'm tripped out by how good the casting of Hope is.  She has looks like a blend of her parents and has much of Haley's physicality, which works for Hope as raised primarily by Haley.

• Love 3

So, I missed some of season 3 and then skipped season 4. So I knew going in to this final season that I might be confused at some parts. I only glanced at last season's finale, so I know roughly what happened there, and I caught some scenes of kid Hope. So coming into this season is kind of a fresh start. 

I also assumed that Hope was behind everything with the way she acted after Hayley disappeared. As for the actress herself, I think she's ok, but she's not all that spectacular for me yet. Maybe it's her acting that isn't quite there for me yet. Which is odd, because I saw the actress in a movie recently and thought she was great. 

I never shipped Klaroline (once Klaus murdered Caroline's boyfriend's mother, I thought the ship would have sailed, but then it didn't so I got even more pissed off), but honestly, at this point, with everything that has happened, my opinions on Caroline herself have changed drastically. So I found myself saying "whatever, fine, just pair them together already" here. I've stopped really liking Caroline for a while now, and I don't mind Klaus anymore. So their scenes here were just fine for me. I didn't get pissed off watching them and I didn't find myself getting super invested in watching them. 

As for the other stuff, no surprise Rebekah turned down Marcel. I think, with Claire being a special guest star and not part of the main cast, it would have been hard to justify a marriage, which is a shame. Oh well; I guess Marcel can finally move on from Rebekah after so many years. 

It's funny to see the family, sans Kol, so lost without Elijah. Even Freya seems to be so stuck on this dark magic stuff that she doesn't really have time for herself. I don't know much about her romance with Keelin, but it seems to be ok to me. Perhaps going to watch season 4 will help.

So, Kol's married to Davina and they still seem happy. This pairing still makes little sense to me, I'm not going to lie. I also don't get why Danielle Campbell isn't part of the main cast anymore. 

• Love 1

Good episode... I'm back for The Klaus/Marcel relationship... Elijah... Vincent being a voice of  reason... Not sure I care one way or the other about hope.  But well see

I was surprised by how well Hope was portrayed. So many shows introduce a teenage daughter into the plot and she grates on a lot of nerves (Dawn Summers, Paige Jennings, etc). I came in knowing that they want to spin off a Hope Show, and I was thinking how little I wanted yet more of Plec's Vampire-verse, but I actually like Hope enough so far I can see following her on her own for at least a little while. And also yes, A+ physical casting, she looks way more like her parents than any of the Mikaelson siblings look alike.

Good call Rebekah. Never marry someone who gives ultimatums.

Hahaha, the pronunciation of Benoit cracked me up.

Whoever cast Hope gets an A+ because she definitely looks like she could be Hayley's daughter.

Awwwww, Marcel had such a sweet and thoughtful proposal and Rebekah still said no. WTF, Rebekah? I don't understand how marrying Marcel in any way keeps her from still being loyal/duty bound/long distance obsessed with her siblings. She has wanted to be with Marcel for centuries and her response to his proposal is "Mmmmm, I dunno, maybe later?"

Klaus just loves tempting fate. He knows that he's not supposed to be near any of his siblings but he just strolls into Elijah's bar and starts chatting with him. I was thinking the same thing when someone (Vincent? It was definitely a non-Mikaelson) asked what the point of having rules are if Klaus isn't going to follow them. And of course since he set such a great example, Rebekah was like awesome, I guess I'll go see Elijah too and see if I can make it rain blood or something equally gross.

And of course Klaus is back to his usual hobby of killing anyone he perceives as a possible threat. Hayley is back at home trying to keep the peace between all the groups by telling them that killing each other is not the solution while Klaus is roaming around the world murdering anyone who could possibly have a bone to pick with him or his family. No surprise at all that Klaus has an enemies list.

High five to Caroline for saying what many of us said at the end of last season when Vincent came up with the splitting up the hollow into the four Mikaelson siblings idea - THEY HAVE THESE THINGS CALLED PHONES. I mean, seriously. It's not the 1700s anymore. You can email. You can skype. You can facetime. You can phone. You can text. You can even write letters and put them in the mail. I know it's not the same as being in the same room, but it's not like you have to be incommunicado. You have multiple ways to stay in touch but instead Klaus chooses to ignore his sister's phone calls.

Yay for Josh!

Poor Declan. How long do you think he's going to live after Klaus finds out that Hayley's been dating him?

The whole point of sending Hope away to Hogwarts was to keep her safe from the Mikaelson enemies, but apparently her parentage is the worst kept secret in the supernatural world since her classmates all know that Klaus is her father and the woof pack know too. If that's the case, why are they even pretending to keep it a secret or keeping her out of New Orleans?

Klaus said it's been five years since he's spoken to Hope so I wonder what happened two years after S4 ended.

First full episode of The Originals I have ever watched (loved Klaus and Family on TVD but the whole Hayley and magic baby turned me off to the show). Tuned in for Caroline and Klaroline and so happy I wasn't disappointed. I loved Caroline being Caroline and the whole 'historical house' thing was great.

Only a few stray thoughts:

Marcel is a beautiful and I love Rebekah. But the whole relationship is skeevy too me.

I like Vincent. The actor is great.

The best praise I can give Hope is she didn't annoy me.

I'm not sold on the theory that Hope did something to Hayley to bring Klaus back.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 1

Loved seeing Torrance Coombs! Anyone know, is he really Irish? I've only seen him in British period pieces (Tudors, Reign).

Hope was also sent to Hogwarts because Hayley wanted her to meet and grow up with magical kids her own age. I hope at some point that we see Alaric's kids. I'm fuzzy on the time frames and time jumps between the two shows, but I've sure they could write in teenage Josie and Lizzie if they wanted to.

I didn't realize until I watched this episode how much I missed the TVD universe and liked this show. Glad we're getting one more season.

Question: so Hope is not a hybrid? Hayley said that there were now three in the world, which I assumed meant herself, Klaus, and the new kid. But her blood can MAKE a hybrid - even though she's not one herself - because of Klaus being her dad? (That's how Hayley became a vamp/hybrid, correct?) Just a little confused.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Question: so Hope is not a hybrid? Hayley said that there were now three in the world, which I assumed meant herself, Klaus, and the new kid. But her blood can MAKE a hybrid - even though she's not one herself - because of Klaus being her dad? (That's how Hayley became a vamp/hybrid, correct?) Just a little confused.

Hayley didnt become a hybrid until she gave birth/died and Hope's blood turned her.

I guess when a hybrid and a werewolf have a child, they end up making a witch. Or since, the Michaelsons had strong witch bloodlines feom theu mother, any child born from that family will most likely be a witch. 

I for one am going to disagree strongly that the end of last season was a good way to end the show. It might have been intended that way but there is no way in HELL that it would be in character for the Mikaelsons to just accept this whole "we have to never see each other again" spell and just go their separate ways for any real length of time. It might take them another thousand years or more but unless they did something like what Elijah did (and who knows how long that would actually last) they would spend eternity trying to figure out a way to get back together again. Both Freya and eventually Hope would spend the rest of their lives if need be to get rid of the Hollow for good and the vampire members would travel the world looking for whatever witch or loophole so they can be together once more. I figured Freya would still be working on it and she didn't disappoint. The fact that Klaus and eventually Rebekah has been ignoring the rules was only a matter of time. They are just too obsessively codependent on each other.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:38 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Hope is supposed to be a Vampire/Werewolf/Witch Hybrid all in one, but they really just ignore that since she would break the show if she really was, so unless it's convenient to the plot Hope is really just a witch. I suppose it's possible that she hasn't activated her Werewolf and Vampire sides yet since she's neither died nor killed anybody, but it's pretty flimsy.

• Love 4

There have been so many changes and additions to the supernatural rules in this universe that I don't remember everything, but I don't think you can be born a vampire. You have to die with vampire blood in your system. You also can't be a witch after you become a vampire which is why Freya is the only one of the Mikaelson siblings who is a witch (except that time when Finn, Kol and Rebecca were temporarily in witches' bodies).

Hope would have been born as a witch with the werewolf gene which means that she could become a werewolf if she kills someone. I don't know if the shows ever said if someone can be a witch and a werewolf at the same time.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

I suppose it's possible that she hasn't activated her Werewolf and Vampire sides yet since she's neither died nor killed anybody, but it's pretty flimsy.

That's what I always assumed, she was born a witch with the Werewolf gene, which hasn't activated. She also has Vampire blood so if she dies she'll become a Vampire and, once she makes her first kill, she'd be a hybrid.

Of course she's also a miracle child so I suppose it's possible she could become a witch/hybrid.

12 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

I for one am going to disagree strongly that the end of last season was a good way to end the show. It might have been intended that way but there is no way in HELL that it would be in character for the Mikaelsons to just accept this whole "we have to never see each other again" spell and just go their separate ways for any real length of time. It might take them another thousand years or more but unless they did something like what Elijah did (and who knows how long that would actually last) they would spend eternity trying to figure out a way to get back together again. Both Freya and eventually Hope would spend the rest of their lives if need be to get rid of the Hollow for good and the vampire members would travel the world looking for whatever witch or loophole so they can be together once more. I figured Freya would still be working on it and she didn't disappoint. The fact that Klaus and eventually Rebekah has been ignoring the rules was only a matter of time. They are just too obsessively codependent on each other.

Hope is supposed to be a Vampire/Werewolf/Witch Hybrid all in one, but they really just ignore that since she would break the show if she really was, so unless it's convenient to the plot Hope is really just a witch. I suppose it's possible that she hasn't activated her Werewolf and Vampire sides yet since she's neither died nor killed anybody, but it's pretty flimsy.

Totally agree! I was surprised how much I saw "last year was a good ending" because of everything you said.  Especially Klaus who is no good at being alone.  Rebekah and Kol had Marcel and Davina and a long standing (so they always said) desire to have a life of their own maybe but as we've seen they always come back to their family eventually. But Klaus was out there on his own and even in last episode had already broken the rules and went to see Elijah.

I guess I always assumed as far as Hope goes that she will eventually be a hybrid (when she dies and kills someone) and will also be able to be a witch like those witch/vampires that were on TVD. So she going to be a super special snowflake triple threat. Which makes it hard to ever worry about her after they defeat the hollow. (Spelling?)

Question. The hollow killed while in Hope's body. Does that not count? Does it have to be Hope who intends to kill? 

I would argue that Hope may have triggered her werewolf curse (if she does indeed have it) with the kid she helped turn hybrid. The curse doesn't care whether or not the death was intentional. If you do something to cause someone's death, you turn. And since the kid should have technically died in order to turn into a hybrid, she caused him to die.

That wouldn't have triggered Hope's werewolf curse. She didn't kill him. He killed himself. It has been established that you have to actively kill someone to activate the werewolf curse. Wasn't there an episode of TVD or TO where someone killed a dying person so that the werewolf curse wouldn't be triggered for the person who had caused the dying person's fatal injuries? So Hope's werewolf curse would not be activated by Henry's death unless she had pushed him off that tower.

• Love 1

ITA with the poster that mentioned how codependent the Mikaelsons are, they have all used cell phones and computers before, use them again, dum dums. I totally knew Rebekah's answer to the proposal was um, no, since Claire is listed only as a guest star. Marcel can now take his foine self back to the NO. Elijah at the piano = me dreamily sighing and basking in the yumminess. 

I know it's only the premiere but not impressed with Hope (other than her short scene with Kol). I usually end up hating a SL concerning a teenager and how life is so difficult for them and blah blah. 

Poor Vincent, always the sensible one that people eventually stop listening to. AND that lovely top of his just ruined by the blood rain! 

On 4/19/2018 at 3:38 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I believe Marcel is considered the 3rd hybrid (although I can't remember exactly what he is.  But since the show never really cares about their supernatural rules, neither will I!).

Wait. Didn't Elena's blood use to be part of the equation to make a hybrid?  Am I making that up? It was a big deal for Klaus to get his hand on a doppelgänger right?

I thought the hybrids were Klaus and Haley and the new kid Hope just made. Hope right now is just a witch. She's alive and human.  Not sure what happens if she dies. 

Marcel is just a super powerful vamp because he doesn't turn into a wolf but he has the power of the killer wolf bite or something because of that spell.  Right?

Head hurts.