Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: A Grand Time With Grandma

• Start Topic

(edited)

I like to think I also have intellectual curiosity about psychology and what makes people tick; that's what I, personally, find fascinating about this show and the various interactions.  As for "Grandma Barbara" and Will already being acquainted, she met him on that trip to Florida to attend their Godson's christening; as I recall, they then immediately departed to Jen's parents' place, to help them pack one dish right before they moved right in with them in Houston.  I remember thinking that, if those four were going to be together from here on out, it would've been nice to at least spend the entire weekend with Bill's family, whom they seldom get to see.  But no...

Edited by all4mom

Will hadn't been adopted yet when Jen's parents moved to Houston if that's the time period in question. 

I enjoy Will's fascination with trains and cars as we're living that also with a grandson.  It's interesting to see how long that goes on. 

• Love 2
(edited)

You're correct, Absolom; thanks.  I was confusing the time they went to Florida for the christening (with Will) and the time they went to Florida for Bill's brother's wedding -- these are the only two times I can recall them meeting up with Bill's family there.  Now I recall how Jen was supposed to spend one of her "girly" days at the spa and shopping with Bill's female relatives, but was unfortunately confined to bed all day due to one of her migraine headaches (this is a chronic condition; can anyone remember Jen ever before or ever since suffering from a migraine headache?  I do recall the "pre-chemo headache," but)...  She recovered just in the nick of time to participate in the wedding rehearsal and dinner!  Or maybe the wedding itself (hard to recall).  But, at any rate, she avoided having to hang with Bill's family.  Then they had to race away quickly to spend the final day of their weekend in Florida helping the soon-to-join-them Judy and Dave pack.  One dish.  Yes, I do believe Jen avoids having Bill's family in the picture and, Judy having a heart of snark herself (I can just tell), I can imagine the cracks about their weight and low-class accents...  IMHO,  that's why the Grandma Barbara visit was a bit stilted, although Bill's mom was adorable and so gracious to Jen (and had to take the train in).

Edited by all4mom

I enjoy Will's fascination with trains and cars as we're living that also with a grandson.  It's interesting to see how long that goes on.

If Bill has his way, I'm sure it will last a lifetime for Will, Absolom.  ;-)

• Love 3

I loved Bill's mom and I heard them say Grandma more often than Grandma Barbara. I thought they had a nice visit.

If I were her I might get talked into participating but I wouldn't want my home on TV. Not everyone is comfortable being filmed, frankly it would freak me out. I thought her and Jen were very nice to one another and I may be an optimist, but it seemed genuine to me.

• Love 6

On the grandma Barbra topic, my understanding is that on jenns side her kids are the first grand kids, but on bills side his brothers had kids before him, and generally the first grand kids pick the grandparent names, so she was grandma Barbra before will or Zoey were even born, so I really don't think that was a slight to bills side of the family.

• Love 6

Finally got a chance to see the episode and thought Jen and Bill's mom were quite sweet together.  Loved the backpacks, what a nifty idea  And the kids clearly are used to them, both put their arms up to put them on without any fuss at all.

That Will is a sharp little kid.  Loved Bill explaining how he shouldn't step on the yellow section and Will got right up close to the edge but backed off.  He obviously understood.  And the backpack made ME feel more comfortable with him around that train!

Finally got a chance to see the episode and thought Jen and Bill's mom were quite sweet together.  Loved the backpacks, what a nifty idea  And the kids clearly are used to them, both put their arms up to put them on without any fuss at all.

That Will is a sharp little kid.  Loved Bill explaining how he shouldn't step on the yellow section and Will got right up close to the edge but backed off.  He obviously understood.  And the backpack made ME feel more comfortable with him around that train!

• Love 7
(edited)

This episode made me tear up several times. I loved seeing the interaction of Bill's mom with the kids. I had no problem with the backpacks with tethers, either. 

Edited by CuriousParker
Breaking The Social Contract
  • Love 3
(edited)

If there are tensions between them (sorry; not buying the "Bill's Mom didn't want her home filmed" excuse), I'm sure they're not going to display them on national TV.  If we've learned anything about Jen, it's that she wants no cracks in the Perfect Jen veneer showing.  And Bill's mom, who appears to be a genuinely kind and gracious lady, is also smart enough to play nice with her beloved son's wife, who clearly wears the pants in the family (and they all know this, as evidenced by the "rule the roost" remark and the laughter than ensued).

On the other hand, perhaps they have the one perfect MIL/DIL relationship in existence.  After all, isn't everything about Jen perfect?

;)

Edited by all4mom

On the other hand, perhaps they have the one perfect MIL/DIL relationship in existence.  After all, isn't everything about Jen perfect?

Did you also notice that Bill's mom fawned all over Jen and paid her the huge compliment at the restaurant, yet Jen never said anythng about what a wonder mother or grnadmother Barbara is?   Oh wait, I'm sure that was edited out due to time.

• Love 2

Agree MrMattyMatt, I think everyone feeds Jen's ego and she has a big appetite!  Bill is the worst with the "my wife, what would I do without my wife, my wife has to go first, I love my wife" and on and on!  I get that he loves his wife but give me a break!

• Love 1

Someone wondered why Bill's mother had to meet Zoey at the hotel, and why the family didn't go out to Long Island. I can think of several obvious reasons: First, it's easier to have one person doing the traveling, instead of four (two of them children). Second, there is probably more to do in NYC. Third, and most probable, is that perhaps Bill's mother didn't WANT to host the family (let alone a camera crew). I don't particularly like entertaining, cleaning the house for company. etc. --if I have the choice I'd always rather go out. Bill's mother strikes me as someone who might enjoy coming into the city for lunch. Again, if Barbara preferred the family came to her house, I think she would have said so.

I can't imagine watching a show where the principals irritate or annoy me--life is too short.

• Love 13

I can't imagine watching a show where the principals irritate or annoy me--life is too short.

Well the kids certainly don't annoy me.  I love a place to snark about those on the show who do and am so glad this is not a fan site.    

• Love 1

Kohola3,  thank you for posting the link to Dr. Arnolds reviews.   I believe that is confirmation as to how much she is respected and adored by her patients parents.    Nuff said in my book.

I enjoyed this episode.   I didn't mind the backpacks, I think they make sense. 

Grandma Barb seemed genuine in expressing her love for her grandkids, Bill's happiness and her admiration for Jen.

Will continues to be my favorite reality star.  

• Love 4

"I can't imagine watching a show where the principals irritate or annoy me--life is too short." 

One word: snark.

Especially when humans are put on pedestals and gilded in gold; it's practically irresistible!

• Love 1

I too love Grandma Barbara's noo yawk accent. She was great.

I'm pretty sure I heard a "youse" slip out, minx.  ;-)   I like the idea of children being exposed to different accents; I was, and it has given me a decent ear for dialogue that others seem to need subtitles to understand.

Kohola3,  thank you for posting the link to Dr. Arnolds reviews.   I believe that is confirmation as to how much she is respected and adored by her patients parents.    Nuff said in my book.

Yes, thanks,  Kohola3.  From what I've seen on the show, jnymph, Jen is well liked and well respected in her field, so the positive reviews come as no surprise to me.  Jen has earned a good reputation, in my book.  :-)

• Love 4
(edited)

BTW, I call fakety-fake on Will asking for "mama" as they walked away from the trains with their backs to the camera...  Dubbed much?

Nice of them to "do a New York thing" like going to Grand Central Station when Grandma Barbara had to get back on the train there to return home; isn't that called taking someone to catch a train?  And lunch first in the crowded cafeteria.  That made her feel special, I'm sure!  When she said she didn't know any Indian words to say to her and she wishes Zoey could get to know her better, Grandma Barbara about broke my heart; what an adorable lady she is!

Edited by all4mom

BTW, I call fakety-fake on Will asking for "mama" as they walked away from the trains with their backs to the camera...  Dubbed much?

I thought Will said "hum" (home) because that is always what Will says when he thinks they are going somewhere. 

All we could see were their two little figures walking down the track, backs turned to us, and then we hear, "Mama?  Mama?"  Bill is then dubbed as saying, "You want Mama?  Wonder what Mama's doing?"  Yeah, right...  Bill tells us they need the tethers because it's "not cool" to hold hands, then we see Jen putting on Zoey's tether and saying, "You wanna hold my hand?"  Again, get your stories straight!

(edited)

Did you see the way Will ran up and ripped the presents out of Grandma Barbara's hands as soon as she walked in the door without even acknowledging her?

I love Will but I agree to a certain extent that he needs to be reined in somewhat.  I just don't see him in school any time soon with the skills he has now.  I remember my niece at 2 speaking more than Will does now.  Is it possible he has some sort of impediment, or have they explained that it is all due to the former hearing issues?

I do wonder about the fame going to Jen's head.  Most of us will never experience what it's like to become a 'star'.  Even with all the good intentions we think Bill and Jen have, is it really that easy to avoid falling into the trap of fame?  Maybe even the best-intentioned people can't resist and become addicted to the attention. 

I watch with a co-worker and we are excited about the show every week and even text each other making comments while it's on.  We both adore the kids and greatly prefer Bill.  Jen can just be so grating and I can certainly see why the kids gravitate to Bill.  I also wonder whether the "Zoey prefers Jen story" was to assauge Jen's feelings after being rejected by Will. 

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 1

Bill said that it's "Not cool" to hold hands? Will is four for God's sake!

Do you think it contradictory for Bill to say its not "cool" to hold Wills hand at 4 but its fine to kiss him in the lip or for Will to lick Bills hand? I still hold my kids hands.

I remember my niece at 2 speaking more than Will does now.  Is it possible he has some sort of impediment, or have they explained that it is all due to the former hearing issues?

They explain his ear issues were the main problem.  But being that he spent 3(?) years of his life hearing a language that was NOT english probably pays a big part in that as well. 

Why does everything think he's going to pick up on the english language as if he was hearing it from the first day of his life??

• Love 3
(edited)

They explain his ear issues were the main problem.  But being that he spent 3(?) years of his life hearing a language that was NOT english probably pays a big part in that as well. 

Why does everything think he's going to pick up on the english language as if he was hearing it from the first day of his life??

New Day was founded by an American and a Chinese woman according to their video of their mission to help disabled children in China.  Will must have been exposed to both languages there as it was highly likely if he got adopted it would be outside of China and English being the universal language of the world was beneficial for him to be exposed to.  And in the videos the kids are seen celebrating American holidays and singing American nursery rhymes like Old MacDonald.  Will was lucky in China and is lucky now!

Edited by jodo

Joan I was thinking the same for his speech. Is grandma communicating with him in mandarin because I saw a few videos of him in china before adoption he seemed like he understood and heard what was being said in mandarin and he seemed really engaged. I never saw any of the yelling and behavior I see now. Also he was playing with other kids in the orphanage and he seemed happy. I wonder if he would respond better to his birth name. I think it changed from ming to josiah to will. I bet his grandma reminds him of one of the women I saw on those videos.

I doubt that this orphanage or any other would put up videos of any children acting badly.

Of course not!  Their goal was to find them homes!  And it worked, Bill and Jen have said they saw videos of Will in addition to photos and with those endearing photos who wouldn't want him asap!