Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation with Spoilers

Unless they shoot the second season around Johnny's schedule for Big Bang Theory, then I think that David and Darlene  are indeed going to divorce. Simply because JG won't be able to appear. It's one thing for BBT to let him out for one episode but it's a whole nother for 13 episodes, which is what the second season has been contracted for.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Unless they shoot the second season around Johnny's schedule for Big Bang Theory, then I think that David and Darlene  are indeed going to divorce. Simply because JG won't be able to appear. It's one thing for BBT to let him out for one episode but it's a whole nother for 13 episodes, which is what the second season has been contracted for.

Isn't TBBT the number one comedy on TV? I don't think JG is going to have much leeway when it comes to a show on a competing network.

• Love 2

Exactly my point. Unless Roseanne shoots during BBT's hiatus, JG isn't showing up. So by default Darlene and David are most likely going to divorce. The one time will see David this season is to confirm that. And that makes me kind of sad.

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw spoilers for David's episode on Reddit, but I have no idea if they can be confirmed.  Not sure whether it's kosher to post them in that case, so I'll leave it under a spoiler box...

He left the family a long time ago after being distraught over (brother) Mark's death.  He does come back to seek a divorce because he's in a new relationship, but naturally they tease a rekindling.

The episode leaves off with the possibility of David having a bigger role next season.

Edited by Pallas
Removed spoiler tags, as this is a spoiler thread.
  • Love 1

I can see them getting divorced. They married young, and if David became more confident and assertive as he aged, he probably tired of having a spouse who was a total bitch. However he never struck me as someone who'd walk away from his kids, to the point where their mother is struggling so badly she has to move back to a dead-end town. I'm interested to see where they go with this.

• Love 4

They got married young and because she was pregnant, so divorce is totally realistic (hell, after this much time, divorce would have been totally realistic even had they married under better circumstances).  I hated their relationship once he moved in and especially once she moved to Chicago; they were very good for each other as young teens, and then outgrew each other (as is normal), but just kept clinging to each other instead of developing a new relationship as friends/family.  So I'm very happy to just see him once, but I'm glad we are getting that one episode to get a good glimpse into what type of relationship he has with her and the kids now.  I'll be disappointed if they get back together next season, but I hope Galecki's schedule will prohibit that.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Zoe said:

I saw spoilers for David's episode on Reddit, but I have no idea if they can be confirmed.  Not sure whether it's kosher to post them in that case, so I'll leave it under a spoiler box...

Reveal hidden contents

He left the family a long time ago after being distraught over (brother) Mark's death.  He does come back to seek a divorce because he's in a new relationship, but naturally they tease a rekindling.

The episode leaves off with the possibility of David having a bigger role next season.

In regards to those hidden contents, has he been living in Southern California?

• Love 1

I really liked David and Darlene, but I can totally see them divorcing. What I cannot see is David walking away from his kids for any reason. I wish they wouldn't go there because realistically Galecki isn't going to be able to play a bigger role in the reboot, and I don't really see them exploring the impact on the kids that deeply. 

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Evie said:

I really liked David and Darlene, but I can totally see them divorcing. What I cannot see is David walking away from his kids for any reason. I wish they wouldn't go there because realistically Galecki isn't going to be able to play a bigger role in the reboot, and I don't really see them exploring the impact on the kids that deeply. 

I agree. Them splitting up is perfectly realistic -- how many people actually end up happily ever after forever and ever with the person they dated since 9th grade? -- but David abandoning his children is pushing it a little too far for me. Makes me sad. That's not the sad, mopey clown-haired David we all know and love.

Some additional details I read in an article that I can't find anymore:

So David and Darlene have been separated for about six years now and he's barely seen Harris and Mark in that time, and he is apparently persona non grata with the rest of the family. Dan has taken the "If he sets foot in this house I'll kill him" opinion of David (which explains why he apparently climbs in through the bedroom window), but Roseanne, it's revealed, has been secretly keeping in contact with him over the years and still views him as her son.

Edited by Pallas
Removed spoiler tags
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:

Roseanne, it's revealed, has been secretly keeping in contact with him over the years and still views him as her son.

And that may correspond to Dan's shifty look when Roseanne said that no one was hearing anything from Jerry...It could be that Dan's secretly in contact with one prodigal son, while Roseanne's in contact with the other.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Pallas said:

And that may correspond to Dan's shifty look when Roseanne said that no one was hearing anything from Jerry...It could be that Dan's secretly in contact with one prodigal son, while Roseanne's in contact with the other.

This seems like it would be true to form for Roseanne and Dan.  There must be more to the story of Jerry wanting to go out on a boat and not being able to stay in touch with his family, not speaking with his mother and for Dan to be secretly keeping tabs on him.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

This seems like it would be true to form for Roseanne and Dan.  There must be more to the story of Jerry wanting to go out on a boat and not being able to stay in touch with his family, not speaking with his mother and for Dan to be secretly keeping tabs on him.

I thought the same thing when I saw his face. It made me think of the Middle when Frankie complained Axl wasn’t responding to her texts but would answer Mike. 

As for David, I hope it’s not a repeat of Dan losing his temper and punching a wall. 

15 hours ago, Evie said:

Maybe they'll say he is in Europe or something to explain his absence. He can only get back to the States very rarely.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:42 PM, Pallas said:

I think that was just John Goodman trying not to make it obvious he was reading off the cue cards.

Does anybody have anything on the "dark turn" the show takes in a later episode? Apparently it was one of the three episodes that reviewers were sent, and I've seen it teased in several places. Is Roseanne an opiate addict?

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

Does anybody have anything on the "dark turn" the show takes in a later episode? Apparently it was one of the three episodes that reviewers were sent, and I've seen it teased in several places. Is Roseanne an opiate addict?

I know nothing beyond what was earlier posted and speculated on in the Revival thread.  It has been reported that a member of the Conner clan deals with an addiction during the revival.  They've certainly hinted at Becky abusing alcohol, but that doesn't automatically translate to being addicted to alcohol.  In a published clip from an upcoming episode, we see Roseanne coming out of the bedroom with a pill bottle in her hands, saying something along the lines of, "We have a problem."  So, presumably someone in the family is one of the many victims of the opiate addiction epidemic, and it may be Roseanne - who was prescribed them - or it may be a family member who is swiping her pills.  The "Candy Man" segment in the first episode played Dan and Roseanne's medicinal needs for laughs, and, again, she seems to be the one calling attention to missing pills, so that speaks to it not being her unless she's going for a preemptive cover story (and there's another scene from an upcoming episode, probably that same one, where - seemingly following Dan wondering if she's been taking extra - Roseanne says if she'd been taking that many of her pills, she'd be in a lot better mood, and has he noticed her in a better mood?!) but we'll see. 

• Love 1

Based on the CTV preview David is the addict. He is very slurry and dopey in the scenes they're showing. Its funny with all the speculation about Mark dying of an overdose the idea that David was an addict hadn't actually occurred to me. It makes perfect sense though given the characters history. It also explains his absence. 

• Love 4

Maybe he goes to rehab at the end of the episode, creating the perfect excuse for him to remain off-screen indefinitely yet also leaving an easy avenue to bring him back and possibly reconcile him with Darlene should Galecki's availability be different next season.

Someone is swiping Roseanne's pills, and she's been on them for a while, so it has to be someone new to the house -- I thought maybe Harris (although I think a more likely story with her would be stealing them to sell rather than to feed an addiction), but if they go missing during David's visit, then he works as the culprit.

• Love 3
On 4/17/2018 at 8:06 AM, tomvilchez1999 said:

It's Roseanne herself, people. I've read she and Dan even go to Mexico to get cheap meds.

Where did you read this?  You might be on to something!  In "Darlene vs. David" episode, I noticed Roseanne mentioned someone (Dan?) was out of the house getting her pain meds.  She's been complaining about her painful knee since the Reboot started and even said she's waiting for Becky or Darlene to marry an orthopedic surgeon (jokingly, of course).

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Where did you read this?  You might be on to something!  In "Darlene vs. David" episode, I noticed Roseanne mentioned someone (Dan?) was out of the house getting her pain meds.  She's been complaining about her painful knee since the Reboot started and even said she's waiting for Becky or Darlene to marry an orthopedic surgeon (jokingly, of course).

Read it from someone who said they went to the tapings. They were right about other things so I'm guessing it's legit. Roseanne's been complaining about her knee and we know her and Dan's meds have been cut in half.

• Love 3

Going to Mexico for meds doesn't necessarily equal opiate addiction (though it could, I'm not spoiled). If you live in a border state, there are even tour buses that make the trip regularly, all full of senior citizens getting their blood pressure and cholesterol prescriptions filled. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tessaray said:

Going to Mexico for meds doesn't necessarily equal opiate addiction (though it could, I'm not spoiled). If you live in a border state, there are even tour buses that make the trip regularly, all full of senior citizens getting their blood pressure and cholesterol prescriptions filled. 

The spoilers said Roseanne's addicted to painkillers she takes for her knee.

Edited by tomvilchez1999
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for people in Illinois to go to Canada for prescription meds?

The spoiler mentioned Mexico. I don't remember if they actually went to Mexico or if they wanted to get them from someone in Mexico. I looked but I can't find the spoiler anymore. Sorry.

Edited by tomvilchez1999
  • Love 1