Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Celebrity: Rolling in the Deep

Chefs Anne Burrell and Tyler Florence throw the celebrities into the deep end and start off the day with a fast-paced seafood tower relay game. After that, things get ugly when the recruits tackle monkfish and learn how to make fish and chips. The two celebrities with the worst dishes go head-to-head in an elimination challenge.

Im concerned about Maria's shaky hands. She is so nervous& I feel alarmed that she has sharp objects when she shakes so much. I hope she calms down soon as it's not fun to watch.

However, all 7 were great sports to skin & filet a monkfish! Tip o' the hat to all of them.

• Love 2

Every once in a while, I forget however many years of evidence to the contrary and think this show - celebrity or regular - might not suck as much as I think it does and watch an episode.  This evening, I was lying on the couch not feeling all that well, not liking anything that was on, and decided to watch this one.  I always have unfounded high hopes for the celebrity editions, since everything is so fake - I talk myself into thinking professional performers will elevate the material, but it never happens.

And, yep, it was the usual crap.  It's episode two, so we're supposed to believe these folks still can't distinguish their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to cooking, and yet this is a great time to have them prepping all manner of seafood?  And, oh fucking please with the "who goes home?" challenge -- the teams are lopsided, but I'm supposed to think there's any suspense as to which team will lose a member?  Like producers didn't tell Bronson to put 743 hot items into his dish so, surprise, he goes home and Oscar stays, despite the latter making the very sauce - oh, I'm sorry, plus some diced peppers - he'd just been taught to make when the challenge, with its pre-cooked shrimp, was basically to make a "personal take on" sauce.

With how few episodes of the series I watch, it's crazy how many times I catch Anne shutting down some idiot man calling her "baby" or something similar.  I love it every time, so I don't even care if it's as staged as the rest; the more calling that shit out is out there, the better.

• Love 5

I'm glad that edible won over inedible. His teammates even told Bronson "that's enough with the hotsauce" multiple times and he kept going, then also added jalapenos to it. LOVED Anne shutting down his "baby" nonsense the second he did it. I noticed later he also called Nolan "baby". He must be one of those rude people who calls everyone baby and doesn't even notice or stop to think about how obnoxious that is.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, rhys said:

Im concerned about Maria's shaky hands. She is so nervous& I feel alarmed that she has sharp objects when she shakes so much. I hope she calms down soon as it's not fun to watch.

However, all 7 were great sports to skin & filet a monkfish! Tip o' the hat to all of them.

Rhys, there was some discussion last week that Maria is on some sort of medication that makes her hands shake.  She might also be nervous to boot, that can't help the situation.

• Love 1

Thanks for that info about Maria & the meds & last week. I went & read the posts. It does explain the tremors. I should have guessed as I have a friend on anti depressants who has tremors. Now I feel bad. But I still worry about the knife work!the

I can't stand Ian & his mispronounced name.

Edited by rhys
Spelling
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Like producers didn't tell Bronson to put 743 hot items into his dish so, surprise, he goes home and Oscar stays, despite the latter making the very sauce - oh, I'm sorry, plus some diced peppers - he'd just been taught to make when the challenge, with its pre-cooked shrimp, was basically to make a "personal take on" sauce.

I saw that too.  If there was ever any evidence that this show is rigged that's it.  I don't for one minute believe that Bronson would have put that much hot sauce and then jalapenos in his sauce unless he was told to do so.

13 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I'm glad that edible won over inedible. His teammates even told Bronson "that's enough with the hotsauce" multiple times and he kept going, then also added jalapenos to it. LOVED Anne shutting down his "baby" nonsense the second he did it. I noticed later he also called Nolan "baby". He must be one of those rude people who calls everyone baby and doesn't even notice or stop to think about how obnoxious that is.

From what I've read about him I wouldn't doubt that Bronson is one of those obnoxious people that calls everyone baby.  And yet despite Anne's shut down of him over that, she actually seemed to like him.  I noticed last week that she was happy he would not go home and this week she seemed genuinely sorry to see him go, telling him she saw potential in him.  I felt a vibe that they knew each other prior to the show.  According to what I've read online, he is one of those closeted gays that has lost respect among gays for never coming out.  Maybe Anne feels sorry for him.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

Bronson bugged so I’m glad he’s gone. Now we just need to get rid of LaToya and her annoying laugh.

I adore LaToya. If I had the money I would refashion  myself as a cartoon character. Love the headband. Love the tiny Michael nose. Love the hair. 

that kid from Modern Family is a doll.

Maria and Ian have food issues. But Maria doesn't harp on it. If Ian said that um I was gross ONE MORE TIME! It is delicious. And a delicacy. It tastes like a save. 

• Love 1

I like La Toya.  She must be in her 60s by now and she's still cute.  She's had a rough life and she's had the gumption and smarts to reinvent herself more than once.  I hope she does well.

I'm getting a kick out of the red headed kid.  He has a good sense of humor and seems to be holding his own among all the others who are a lot older and who have been "celebrities" a lot longer.

I'm so glad FN brought Tyler back to this show.  He and Anne are good together and he cracks me up with his reactions.  So far this is the best season of WC IMO.

I mean the best season of the celebrity edition.  

Edited by mlp
add something
  • Love 6

I'm ready for Ian to go home next.  What?  He's too cool to wear his apron appropriately and chose to double it over and wear it as a half-apron?  Bah.  If it was okay for Dean Cain (a couple of seasons ago) to wear the full apron, Ian can too!  He also seemed to have an attitude that he was better than all this.  

I think that Nolan Gould is a bigger "name" at this time than Ian, and Nolan just seems to be having a ball.  He has had a good career for being so young, and why not have fun on a silly reality show and learn how to cook at the same time!

Oscar is really growing on me.  However, I did not find Maria particularly funny this episode.  Does anyone else think that Catherine Bach has it in her contract that they can't show her below the waist?  Just me then...

• Love 2

Nolan Gould is also reportedly a very smart kid.  He's a member of Mensa, he got his GED at age thirteen.  Planning on going to film school and learn documentary filmmaking to focus on issues of conservation and the environment.  I've been having fun watching him.  He doesn't strike me as the typical full-of-himself child actor at all.

• Love 7
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:02 PM, Yeah No said:

I saw that too.  If there was ever any evidence that this show is rigged that's it.  I don't for one minute believe that Bronson would have put that much hot sauce and then jalapenos in his sauce unless he was told to do so.

Yes, that's what I thought, too.  Even people who like spicy food, don't dump all that hot sauce into a dish that they're serving other people.   I even wondered if it was Bronson putting the hot sauce in, since it seemed like there was a scene with just hands showing.  I suspect they taped it afterwards, to really drive home the point that he made it too spicy. 

6 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Nolan Gould is also reportedly a very smart kid.  He's a member of Mensa, he got his GED at age thirteen.  Planning on going to film school and learn documentary filmmaking to focus on issues of conservation and the environment.  I've been having fun watching him.  He doesn't strike me as the typical full-of-himself child actor at all.

Yes, he seems like a typical nerdy smart kid, goofing around, making jokes.  He's charming. 

• Love 2

I think that Bronson really didn't want to be there in the first place. I knew he was toast when he called Anne, "Baby." I dunno. I just picked up this kind of "I'm too cool for this shit," vibe from him.  Maybe he self-sabotaged himself with the gross overly spicy sauce.  I can't think of much worse than avocado, hot sauce and tequila.

Tyler seems to being a bit of a fan of LaToya.  I was honestly surprised that she was the winner for the blue team.

I secretly think that Eye-an knows a lot more about cooking than he's letting on. It wouldn't surprise me if he took some crash courses before filming. He's that competitive. I saw him on "Celebrity Apprentice," and I have to give him props for not giving up. Otherwise, I'm not a fan.

Anne always gets stuck with the ditzy blonde comediennes. She must have a type.

I thought that maybe Catherine was going to get the Barbara Eden edit but she seemed to pull through this past week.

• Love 2