Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Celebrity: It's All for the Fans

(edited)

The two remaining celebrities face their final challenge: cooking a restaurant-quality meal for chefs Rocco DiSpirito and Aarthi Sampath and Tony Award winner Cady Huffman. However, before the celebrities impress the panel of culinary experts, they must first impress their biggest fans. With coaching from their mentors Anne Burrell and Tyler Florence, all the skills the celebrities have learned over the past eight weeks are put to the test. One recruit is named the winner and awarded $25,000 for the charity of their choice.

Edited by Jaded
(edited)

Zero surprise.  Fun season though.  I don’t know how LaToya cooks with those nails.  She seems sweet and certainly has overcome a great deal in her life.  Can’t believe her age — impressive.  Anne and Tyler are a fun hosting duo.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3

I surprised myself by rooting for LaToya! Her giggling still bothers me but she certainly seemed to work hard and tried really hard!

1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

I don’t know how LaToya cooks with those nails.

I agree! But then I never could understand how FloJo managed to even dress herself with her nails. They would drive me crazy!

• Love 2

I didn't see any point to the "superfan" segment at the beginning.  Ian and LaToya clearly didn't know them and each could have been anyone off the street.  That whole bit was a waste of time IMO.

I haven't seen Cady Huffman since her days judging on the original ICA.  I didn't even recognize her.

There were two bits I thought were odd.  LaToya cooked all those things while wearing a black blouse which remained pristine.  She didn't even get a speck of flour on herself while making the tarts.  I found that hard to believe.  And none of the judges reacted at all when they saw who the cooks were.  I don't know how well known Ian is but I can't imagine they didn't recognize LaToya Jackson.  I expected at least a bit of surprise if they really didn't know who the finalists were.

Based just on the dishes presented, I had no feeling for which one would be the winner.  They both did some things very well and also had a few problems.  I would have been happy with either one declared the winner.  I like LaToya so I'm happy for her.

IMO This was the best season of Worst Cooks so far.  I enjoyed it.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/20/2018 at 10:24 PM, mlp said:

I didn't see any point to the "superfan" segment at the beginning.  Ian and LaToya clearly didn't know them and each could have been anyone off the street.  That whole bit was a waste of time IMO.

I haven't seen Cady Huffman since her days judging on the original ICA.  I didn't even recognize her.

There were two bits I thought were odd.  LaToya cooked all those things while wearing a black blouse which remained pristine.  She didn't even get a speck of flour on herself while making the tarts.  I found that hard to believe.  And none of the judges reacted at all when they saw who the cooks were.  I don't know how well known Ian is but I can't imagine they didn't recognize LaToya Jackson.  I expected at least a bit of surprise if they really didn't know who the finalists were.

Based just on the dishes presented, I had no feeling for which one would be the winner.  They both did some things very well and also had a few problems.  I would have been happy with either one declared the winner.  I like LaToya so I'm happy for her.

IMO This was the best season of Worst Cooks so far.  I enjoyed it.

Agreed about the superfan.  That was just awkward and added nothing.  I did see something splash onto LaToya's cuff at one point -- I can't remember what it was -- but it quickly vanished.  I'm guessing someone stepped in and wiped it off or maybe it just soaked in.  Also agree about the judge's degree of surprise -- or more correctly, the lack thereof.  I remember thinking the same thing at the reveal.

I still don't understand why a) the judges have started choosing the menu with no input from the recruits -- it wasn't always like that and b) that Anne chose such a fussy entree for Ian's meal.  It was no surprise that the quail legs were cooked perfectly while the breast was overcooked.  Even wrapped with proscuitto, that was bound to happen.  Anyway, it was a painless season and both recruits did well in the finale.  However, I have a huge bone to pick with Food Network.  Each time someone was eliminated during boot camp, they gained $2500 for their charity.  Kind of chintzy but what can you do?  Ian went all the way to the finale and then lost, and still only got $2500??  It seems to me that he should've been rewarded more for getting that far.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 11
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

However, I have a huge bone to pick with Food Network.  Each time someone was eliminated during boot camp, they gained $2500 for their charity.  Kind of chintzy but what can you do?  Ian went all the way to the finale and then lost, and still only got $2500??  It seems to me that he should've been rewarded more for getting that far.

I had the exact same thought!  $2500 is a teeny, tiny amount for a charity to do its research or pay staff to do research and help keep the lights on -- you know the Food Network can pony up more for someone who comes in 2nd place.  Not a good look for you, FN.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 8

I totally agree about TFN cheap prize money for this show.  Guy's Grocery Games ponies up more money for it's individual winners and celeb chef tournaments, so the money is there somewhere.

I did like this season; it was just the right length and I came to really appreciate LaToya.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Agreed about the superfan.  That was just awkward and added nothing.  I did see something splash onto LaToya's cuff at one point -- I can't remember what it was -- but it quickly vanished.  I'm guessing someone stepped it and wiped it off or maybe it just soaked in.  Also agree about the judge's degree of surprise -- or more correctly, the lack thereof.  I remember thinking the same thing at the reveal.

I still don't understand why a) the judges have started choosing the menu with no input from the recruits -- it wasn't always like that and b) that Anne chose such a fussy entree for Ian's meal.  It was no surprise that the quail legs were cooked perfectly while the breast was overcooked.  Even wrapped with proscuitto, that was bound to happen.  Anyway, it was a painless season and both recruits did well in the finale.  However, I have a huge bone to pick with Food Network.  Each time someone was eliminated during boot camp, they gained $2500 for their charity.  Kind of chintzy but what can you do?  Ian went all the way to the finale and then lost, and still only got $2500??  It seems to me that he should've been rewarded more for getting that far.

I liked the WTF looks on both LaToya's and Ian's faces for the superfan nonsense. Their looks alone kind of made of for the stupidity of it. 

The prize amounts are just embarrassing. I'm going to guess FN paid well more than $2500 to each celeb. The prize money to charities should be more than the celebs walked away with. FN should be ashamed of themselves. 

1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

The notable point is that Chef Anne was the loser. 

I want to give this 100 likes. She is such a terrible sport (or at least she plays that character here) and I find it quite unpleasant.

I fast forwarded through all the practice and prep. Not interesting to see the recruits struggle while the mentors shriek. Totally agree that they should go back to allowing the recruits to have a voice in the menu selection. It seems pointless to just have them reproduce something the mentors dictate. I think it would be more fun to watch them cook food they have a connection to.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I want to give this 100 likes. She is such a terrible sport (or at least she plays that character here) and I find it quite unpleasant.

The sad part is, she's a poor winner as well as a poor loser.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

The sad part is, she's a poor winner as well as a poor loser.

Totally! And I figured out another reason I don't like that they have stopped allowing the recruits to have any input into their menus. It changes the ending from, "go all out and show us what you've learned" to, "get out there and make your mentor look good, dammit."

Edited by jcbrown
verbs are important
  • Love 5

"Cook for your stalker" is the funniest thing this show has ever done. Obviously they figured out somewhere that it's a lame bit, which is why they edited down to like 3 minutes total. But I'm shocked they approved the idea in the first place. Perhaps it was meant to be for loved one and a logistical thing happened so they had to improvise at the last minute.

I also miss the personalized menu. It was one of the better improvements this show made since the early run, and then they backed out. LaToya would never make frogs legs again even if she wasn't a vegetarian, so the result is meaningless. She's good at performing tasks while Tyler yells at her. Congrats, but utterly lacking in meaning.

And ITA about the charity award. $2500 is what you get for being the 98th caller at a radio station. I'd say the smallest "big money" amount these days is $5000.

• Love 5
On 5/21/2018 at 4:43 PM, Fostersmom said:

The prize amounts are just embarrassing. I'm going to guess FN paid well more than $2500 to each celeb. The prize money to charities should be more than the celebs walked away with. FN should be ashamed of themselves. 

My theory is that they spend so much of the budget on this show for the stars' salaries that they end up slighting the prize money as a result.  I can just imagine the budgetary justification for that.

On 5/21/2018 at 7:09 PM, jcbrown said:

Totally! And I figured out another reason I don't like that they have stopped allowing the recruits to have any input into their menus. It changes the ending from, "go all out and show us what you've learned" to, "get out there and make your mentor look good, dammit."

Also it may be me, but there seemed to be an awful lot more input from the mentors during the finale than in earlier seasons.  Not that I'm against some input but it seemed like a lot more this time.

• Love 3

Anne, salting water doesn't make water come to the boil faster.  (It does have a higher boiling point, which when you think about it, would make it take longer to come to the boil.)

And talking about salt, while it should certainly be used during cooking, I'd far rather add some myself at the table than have an over-salted dish.

• Love 7

I'm still trying to figure out when "season your food" came to mean salt the hell out of everything. I watch enough cooking shows to know it's been the past 5 years or so, but why? Not everything or everyone really needs or wants salt in the amounts eery cooking show seems to think is necessary these days. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

And talking about salt, while it should certainly be used during cooking, I'd far rather add some myself at the table than have an over-salted dish.

Me too. I am a saltaholic and generally salt everything even before tasting. People's taste for salt is different.

19 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm still trying to figure out when "season   your food" came to mean salt the hell out of everything. I watch enough cooking shows to know it's been the past 5 years or so, but why? Not everything or everyone really needs or wants salt in the amounts eery cooking show seems to think is necessary these days. 

I know and it especially annoys me because a lot of people are salt sensitive but absolutely NO attention is paid to that by chefs and the media in general.  They spend a lot of time pushing every "super food" trend but ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room.  Too much salt causes a whole host of potential medical issues, especially as people get older.

• Love 2
On 6/3/2018 at 8:20 PM, backformore said:

And they never say a dish needs more SALT.  It's always "underseasoned."  Why not just say, "needs more salt?"

I'd love to see someone respond "Oh, which seasoning do you think it needs more of?"

• Love 3
On 5/25/2018 at 4:11 AM, AngelKitty said:

Me too. I am a saltaholic and generally salt everything even before tasting. People's taste for salt is different.

A close relative whose family I was living with some time ago had serious kidney problems and had to cut all salt out of her diet.  The food was definitely bland at times, but her mum got really good with spices and seasoning (not salt - see posts above!).  While I certainly still cook with salt (and sometimes add it at the table), my "need" for it diminished considerably as my taste buds acclimated.  

• Love 1