Type keyword(s) to search

Hopes and Fears: How Will We Survive This Island? (Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers)

quarks
  • Start Topic

So.... Which female cast member gets a horrible exit next season?

Or maybe they'll switch it up and kill a male. Either way, who gets dead?

For us, it was like we’re going into season 4, we’ve pretty much killed off a character every season — actually, not pretty much, we have killed off a character every season — are we truly revealing or spoiling anything to say, “Yes, someone is going to die this year”? Anyone who has watched the previous three seasons of Arrow knows that someone is likely to die in season 4. The big surprise would be, in season 5, if we didn’t kill anybody.

Guggenheim interview.

So.... Which female cast member gets a horrible exit next season?

Or maybe they'll switch it up and kill a male. Either way, who gets dead?

I think it's probably going to be a male next year. A guy going by the name of Paul Holt (does he have the same last name as Curtis? I can't recall). He's obviously the next in line as the catalyst for the next terrific hero's journey.

• Love 9

Who could they kill and still keep the show going?  Operating on my belief that Diggle and Felicity are both safe until  the last season of the show (when either could go down depending on if they want Oliver to have a happy ending or not) - pretty much anyone else is up for grabs...

Quentin is still very much on the table, as is Donna, Curtis' Paul or Curtis himself (no one says he has to realize his comic book destiny), as much as it pains me to say it - Lyla, or even Thea.

But what I liked was the idea that what would be a real shocker was if in season five - they didn't kill anyone!  Please oh please - we do need a break from good guys dying. Kill some bad guys if you need more death on the show.  But let everyone come out alive for once.

• Love 5

I would like a break from them killing someone next season (though I'm worried about Poor Paul). You don't have to kill someone off for good drama or to create stories. It's actually pretty lazy after a while.

• Love 9

I would like a break from them killing someone next season (though I'm worried about Poor Paul). You don't have to kill someone off for good drama or to create stories. It's actually pretty lazy after a while.

I hope Arrow writers/EPs learned their lesson from the Clexa mess. Don't kill off characters that represent the LGBT community.

I think it's probably going to be a male next year. A guy going by the name of Paul Holt (does he have the same last name as Curtis? I can't recall). He's obviously the next in line as the catalyst for the next terrific hero's journey.

Since they like to kill someone to further a Main character's journey. I can see Paul or Donna dying

(edited)

Can we make a new rule? Can we differentiate by adding descriptions or alternative names?

Like Paul Blackthrone gets refered to as PB or Blackthrone. Meanwhile Curtis' Husband Paul gets called "Curtis' Husband Paul"?

Or Paul vs PB or Paul vs Blackthrone?

It's not a big deal and I usually pick up on the correct reference. However, evertime I see oh, no I'm worried they'll kill Paul off next, I automatically go to Paul Blackthrone first and have a minor freak out.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Since I do believe there was a fair bit of BTS politics and tip-toeing around KC's status in Arrow, now that Laurel is dead I hope that certain elements which I've enjoyed previously will be back in the show.

• More OTA adventures, including Felicity out in the field, like when they were infiltrating Merlyn Global or blowing up the Applied Sciences building
  • Less separation of TA members I want more Diggle & Felicity scenes, and more non-mask bonding like Thea & Felicity at the Diggles feeding Baby Sara
  • More Lyla and Lyla interacting individually with Felicity or Oliver and even Thea (and more Dyla goes without saying)
  • More Oliver/Felicity stunts, like Swinging through Lian Yu or Catapulting over the Stair rails, or zip-lining out the Clock Tower
  • Better fight scene and less of "everyone must be included" walk-up or jump-down shots
  • Training Scenes with Salmon Laddering or Tyre pounding and Felicity ogling
  • Olicity Awkward cuteness as they find they way back to each other and knowing looks from Diggle and Thea, like the Roy/Diggle eye-brows of 3.01 
  • Felicity and Thea friendship, show interaction independent of Oliver, 4.17 was good start now we need more
  • More girl-power scenes, with Felicity/Thea/Lyla/Donna, I loved the Foundry attack Scene with Felicity/Caitlin/Lyla in 3.08 and 4.17 was a good start
  • Felcity Lance scenes, I liked the working relationship that was established in S1 & S2
  • More non-island Flashbacks for Felicity and Thea and Diggle
  • Sara returning interacting and fighting with TA for and episode or 2
  • More Diggle heart-to-Hearts with Oliver or Felicity about how he is doing

There are bunch more things I hope to see, like Oliver and Felicity working their way back to each other and stunts in streetwear (not Masks), but these are the things which I think can happen more easily now they don't have to take Laurel-factor into account.

ETA:  Better show promotion!!

Edited by Genki
  • Love 15

I personally would like more action, i dont even care anymore who is fighting but i wanna see more, thats why i started watching the show, it had badass action.

But now if you see on youtube "all action scenes of EP. X" its literally 3 minutes each.. 3 minutes out of 40 minutes runtime is dedicated to action in an average episode :S

I want BETTER action. I go back and forth a bit, but I think, for me, the main issue on-screen is that they're trying to do too fancy of scenes. I'd much, much rather have simple fight/parkour scenes done well than overblown scenes done poorly. 

I also hope they ditch the magic crap next season. Make Bratva the big bad in both the past and the present, maybe. Since S5 is supposed to be the season in which Oliver is finally a real hero, that could work well with him going fully dark in the Bratva in the past. (NO HUMAN TRAFFICKING, THOUGH.)

• Love 12

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the relationship thread or the speculation thread, and decided to go with speculation. I'm really interested in what's going to happen with Felicity rejoining/not rejoining the team after this.  I wonder if she's going to want to re-join immediately after Laurel, but a couple of things that Oliver said in the last episode about working better alone made me wonder if he's going to throw her out whether because he is reverting to season one Oliver and works better alone, because she will be a distraction to him while he hunts Laurel's killer, or whether he says yes please rejoin.  If he tells her she can't be on the team, I'm wondering if she sets up a second team, maybe with Curtis and/or Lance, to fight crime in her own way.  I don't think Oliver blames her for leaving, but I could also seem him finding it overwhelming for her to be around, saying some version of "You know how you left because it was too much?  Having you here is too much for me." 

Pure speculation.

I think Laurel's Death is meant to be the turning point to start moving Oliver and Felicity back to each other, I can't imagine Oliver reverting to S1 Oliver. I don't think he will be pushing her away at all. 

• Love 5

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the relationship thread or the speculation thread, and decided to go with speculation. I'm really interested in what's going to happen with Felicity rejoining/not rejoining the team after this.  I wonder if she's going to want to re-join immediately after Laurel, but a couple of things that Oliver said in the last episode about working better alone made me wonder if he's going to throw her out whether because he is reverting to season one Oliver and works better alone, because she will be a distraction to him while he hunts Laurel's killer, or whether he says yes please rejoin.  If he tells her she can't be on the team, I'm wondering if she sets up a second team, maybe with Curtis and/or Lance, to fight crime in her own way.  I don't think Oliver blames her for leaving, but I could also seem him finding it overwhelming for her to be around, saying some version of "You know how you left because it was too much?  Having you here is too much for me." 

Pure speculation.

Interesting spec.  If I didn't have a feeling that Oliver was going to this time be the one tying to hold everyone else together, I wouldn't be surprised if it went this way, and maybe it would for a bit and then turn around?  Don't know.  4-19 will set the tone for the rest of the season. 

• Love 2

So this show needs to do one of two things....

1. Show us an alternate Earth where Oliver killed Malcolm at the end of season one and everyone is just so happy.  Life is good.  Moira is alive.  Tommy and Laurel are married raising little future lawyers.  Oliver and Felicity are running Queen Consolidated.  Thea and Roy are together.  And nothing bad ever happens in Star City.

2. Kill Malcolm at the end of the show and then do a flash forward talking about how weird it is that the city hasn't been in peril again since Malcolm died.

• Love 1

1. Show us an alternate Earth where Oliver killed Malcolm at the end of season one and everyone is just so happy.  Life is good.  Moira is alive.  Tommy and Laurel are married raising little future lawyers.  Oliver and Felicity are running Queen Consolidated.  Thea and Roy are together.  And nothing bad ever happens in Star City.

Twins called Oliver and Olive. One guess as to who chose those names.

• Love 6

Maybe that's what they are doing on Earth 3, Supergirl's world. None of them exist for her. 

• Love 3

1. Show us an alternate Earth where Oliver killed Malcolm at the end of season one and everyone is just so happy. Life is good. Moira is alive. Tommy and Laurel are married raising little future lawyers. Oliver and Felicity are running Queen Consolidated. Thea and Roy are together. And nothing bad ever happens in Star City.

2. Kill Malcolm at the end of the show and then do a flash forward talking about how weird it is that the city hasn't been in peril again since Malcolm died.

Idk... After 418 I think it's cruel to Tommy to have him be stuck with Laurel.

I'd sooner ship him with Iris, which imo isn't a bad ship at all lol

• Love 6

Idk... After 418 I think it's cruel to Tommy to have him be stuck with Laurel.

I'd sooner ship him with Iris, which imo isn't a bad ship at all lol

Yea but I'm blaming 418 on some blow to the head that Malcolm inflicted on Laurel at some point over the years.  Although - I fully admit that Iris would be way better than Laurel.....

Even if Malcolm died, Slade would still have happened. RAG wouldn't have, but I think DD still would, bc he seems interested in the bay for his corn.

No no no everything is Malcolm's fault.

Ok I realize my statement is true in regards to Slade - its just that killing Malcolm at the end of season one was too late to stop him from sinking the Gambit and all that jazz.  But I'm still going with if Malcolm dies - nothing bad will ever happen in Star City again.

For some reason I'm almost completely convinced there will be a "what if" if the Gambit didn't go down. It's too tropey NOT to go there considering how awful Ollie was.

I'm sure they'd work Diggle and Felicity in somehow. Maybe even have Felicity stay goth for a while longer because Cooper didn't "kill himself".

I've veered off into fanfic, don't worry about me.

• Love 5

Yea but I'm blaming 418 on some blow to the head that Malcolm inflicted on Laurel at some point over the years.  Although - I fully admit that Iris would be way better than Laurel.....

Seriously though. Iris and Tommy. Think about it :p Tommy is fun and loving and would do anything for who he loves. Iris is supportive, she doesn't take anyone's crap, and is strong as hell. 

They would make an amazing couple who wouldn't take each other for granted and would treat one another like equals. This is something that LL/TM never really had. 

I'm talking myself into shipping them lol

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 5

Most of what has happened to Oliver and Sara has been Malcolm's fault. Watching last week's Legends, I wanted Sara to recommend going after baby Malcolm but alas I don't even know if she knows it's his fault the Gambit went down. Though she does know he's the one that had her killed. Hell there is even a small chance that stopping Malcolm would have done something to Savage-at least it might slow him down from being reconstituted in 2015.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3

But if we're talking about the what-if game, Oliver wouldn't have become GA without the Gambit and the possibility of Savage being taken down in 2015 would have gone down significantly. The rest of Team Arrow wouldn't have been there, except for Laurel Always Thying to Save the World Lance, natch.

• Love 1

Anyone want to bet whether the writers wrote "pretty bird" into Oliver's eulogy? :p

Is that a Hope or a Fear?

And I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe even a flashback to her on the salmon ladder.

• Love 3

Is that a Hope or a Fear?

And I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe even a flashback to her on the salmon ladder.

It's a fear, but also a hope because I may want to use that moment to laugh... I'm terrible. 

• Love 4

Most of what has happened to Oliver and Sara has been Malcolm's fault. Watching last week's Legends, I wanted Sara to recommend going after baby Malcolm but alas I don't even know if she knows it's his fault the Gambit went down. Though she does know he's the one that had her killed. Hell there is even a small chance that stopping Malcolm would have done something to Savage-at least it might slow him down from being reconstituted in 2015.

Which is why I feel the we all need to prepare for the likelihood that MM is going nowhere on the show. Hopefully, they will pretzel him, other characters & the plot less to make him relevant. But the likelihood of MM being killed off or leaving the show is very little in my estimation ~ even if its logical & relevant that he be defeated to deliver justice for his victims.

Anyone want to bet whether the writers wrote "pretty bird" into Oliver's eulogy? :p

I'm still a little surprised its not on the tombstone. Not sure if OQ will say it, but I think someone will at the funeral services.

If they wanted to complete KC & her fan's checklists ~ they let her keep the jacket & perhaps inspire the deathbed revelation, so they might make her last wish come true for a salmon ladder scene. Although she probably can't do it, so it would just be dropping from the final rung which is kind of anti-climatic, which is why I can't imagine them actually putting it in.

My hope for season 5 - for them to rethink the use of flashbacks. Now, the magic eight ball screamed yes for Russia in the last episode and I am thrilled for it. However, they really need to see whether they need them in every single episode. Rather use them every few episodes and have them matter. Focus more on that then on transitions from present day.

• Love 11

My hope for season 5 - for them to rethink the use of flashbacks. Now, the magic eight ball screamed yes for Russia in the last episode and I am thrilled for it. However, they really need to see whether they need them in every single episode. Rather use them every few episodes and have them matter. Focus more on that then on transitions from present day.

I would really, really love it, but I think S5 will maintain the same Flashback format that we have had so far unfortunately. Hopefully if it is to do with the Russian Mob, maybe they can connect better than they did in S2. 

I think non-linear flashbacks would be great for the show, and tie in better with everything, however they've set the pattern, so it is doubtful they will change it. Maybe in S6.

• Love 1

I'm more hopeful for the s5 fb because they have been building up to Russia. So I think they got some good things cooking.

I have a feeling they had a plan in s4 that got changed in the prep stage with because of DC stuff or maybe actor availability. So they went with Poppy & magical tattoos. I think they had a stroke of dumb. They got inspired and felt they could connect the FB to the present via some Poppy parallel that was supposed to be about FS and wound up being about LL.

Questionable intentions but overall bad choices.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

I'm torn between thinking Malcolm isn't going anywhere because the writers love JB too much, and thinking that they're building up to Thea killing him. In the last episode, there was the whole thing where he told her that she could never never defeat him now, because her bloodlust is gone. I'm wondering whether her guilt over not being able to kill him, leading to Laurel's death, will push her to finally cross that line in the finale.

But as others have pointed out, that would require them being willing to let JB go.

The other thing I'm wondering is whether next year's flashbacks will be year four or five of Oliver's time away. Several people here have pointed out that his island adventures with Poppy this season probably couldn't have taken more than a couple of months at the most. I'm wondering if this is a way to squeeze an additional year out of the flashbacks.

• Love 1

the Thea/Malcolm fight in 418 (especially with him taunting her about curing the bloodlust means she'll never beat him because she lost her killer instincts ) reminded me of the Oliver/Malcolm interaction in S1, when Malcolm told Oliver that he'd never because he didn't know what he was fighting for. Between that and Darhk killing Laurel (with Malcolm's help) I thought there's no way S4 ends without Thea killing Malcolm.

You guys have made me doubt it but, I'm holding to my belief that this is the season Malcolm finally dies (for real)

• Love 5

the Thea/Malcolm fight in 418 (especially with him taunting her about curing the bloodlust means she'll never beat him because she lost her killer instincts ) reminded me of the Oliver/Malcolm interaction in S1, when Malcolm told Oliver that he'd never because he didn't know what he was fighting for. Between that and Darhk killing Laurel (with Malcolm's help) I thought there's no way S4 ends without Thea killing Malcolm.

You guys have made me doubt it but, I'm holding to my belief that this is the season Malcolm finally dies (for real)

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

:)

• Love 7

I just can't see them killing off Malcolm until the end of Season 5, to close off that chapter of Oliver's 5 years away. Killing off the man who started it all is too much of a storytelling bookend for the writers to resist, IMO.

I also think they will have Oliver kill him, because the show is called Arrow. Hopefully Thea gets a say in his fate.

• Love 2

I do think it's time for MM to die. Though I want Thea and Oliver to accept that it's okay not to be able to kill someone they once cared about-just let someone else do it ;) Deciding it's not a bad thing to not kill can still be empowering for Thea. Maybe Lance can get MM. MM is a huge player in the reason he lost both daughters. DD is the big bad so Oliver will get him, Thea can get Anarchy, Felicity her dad/Cooper and Diggle has his brother. It can be a big emotional kill fest ;) 

• Love 1

Can you imagine the wonderful bloodbath? All in one episode:

Oliver kills Damien

Thea kills 

Diggle taking on Andy (but then when Damien dies, Andy snaps out of his ghostly-ness)

Felicity maaaaaaaaybe takes on her father? 

Can you imagine the wonderful bloodbath? All in one episode:

Oliver kills Damien

Thea kills 

Diggle taking on Andy (but then when Damien dies, Andy snaps out of his ghostly-ness)

Felicity maaaaaaaaybe takes on her father? 

Taking my response to the spoiler thread

The other thing I'm wondering is whether next year's flashbacks will be year four or five of Oliver's time away. Several people here have pointed out that his island adventures with Poppy this season probably couldn't have taken more than a couple of months at the most. I'm wondering if this is a way to squeeze an additional year out of the flashbacks.

I'm firmly in the camp that there's no way Oliver's been back on the island for 6 months. However, I hope they don't drag it out after season 5. Just have them cover a longer period of time than the present day storyline. As of season 6, they should use flashbacks only if and when absolutely necessary. So if the need one for episode 6 and 17, fine. But don't force them on other 21 episodes.
  • Love 1

Any chatter on JB having some new project lined up?  That would be a likely hint. 

I'm firmly in the camp that there's no way Oliver's been back on the island for 6 months. However, I hope they don't drag it out after season 5. Just have them cover a longer period of time than the present day storyline. As of season 6, they should use flashbacks only if and when absolutely necessary. So if the need one for episode 6 and 17, fine. But don't force them on other 21 episodes.

Yeah, the time in the flashbacks has been very short.  I think even three months is a huge exaggeration.  Think about it.  While we dont' know how long Oliver spent between being dropped on the island and saving Poppy from being executed, after that maybe at tops two weeks passed before he got bit by a shark.   [Poppy hides in the cave, he visits her once a week later, spends a few days with workers searching the water, kills her brother, gets dragged back to camp that same day, either gets the truth sticks -I'm muddy on some of the order - or is just kidnapped by Constantine, next day he and Reiter get the stone, Oliver immediately slips back to see Poppy and they trek across the island for a day, he get's bit by shark and is taken back to camp.] Then in under 24 hours he was whipped and tossed in jail.  No more than a couple days passed while he was sick before Reiter had them digging for the tunnels and from the amount of digging done, only a day or so could have passed.  The time in the tunnels has all happened on the same day.  I don't think he actually has spent more than a month on the island since he and Poppy started running together.    That said, do the show runners realize that? 

Edited by BkWurm1

I really hope Oliver won't go to Russia, it just doesn't make sense... At the beginning of the first season Oliver wanted to be rescued so bad and says he dreamt of his rescue every day... Would be pretty lame if he spent as much time off the island as he spent on it....

About last episodes action, i liked seeing Oliver do some flip kicks again just like he used to sometimes instead of same basic punches... Hope they keep the lvl of this fighting going for the future. Didn't like he was mostly in the background during the action though!

Was really hoping for the magic to be over.. But nope, it just makes Oliver look so weak and powerless... He did actually break the magic for a moment, so i hope thats what will beat Darhk in the end.. Strong willpower?

Was at a skating show over the weekend and someone skated to "Objection/Tango" by Shakira which made me think of ARROW and how I would love to see an actual good love triangle on the show with Thea. I feel like WH can actually act the hell out of a love triangle regardless of bad writing, so long as the casting is good. They have given her too many duds over the last 4yrs. They need to bring her story to the forefront and I would love for romance to have a part in that. And it would be a welcome break from her constant fixation on being MM's daughter.

Perhaps, its just nostalgia for that song, but it did remind me that there can be heat from a good tangled romance when there are viable choices on each side, which has yet to happen on the show. It also would help if triangle is not used as a ship stall. My only fear is that the Arrow writers have traditionally been horrible at writing romantic plots & arcs, so perhaps I should just turn to fan fics.

That being said, I do really think TQ's love life deserves better than that horrible DJ & Tebow-light.

Edited by kismet

I think the show has proved it's bad at triangles. Look at the mess between Felicity, Oliver and Ray. And then there was Tommy, Oliver and Laurel.

They shouldn't attempt triangles anymore. Poor Thea, I wouldn't wish it on her even though she's on my list.

• Love 2

They should just bring Roy back for Thea. I don't necessarily ship them, but I thought it was amusing that the most mature couple on the show for a while were the "teenagers".* I actually think they were probably the best handled couple on the show, even if I personally preferred to watch Laurel and Tommy.

*Roy might have always been in his early twenties on the show perhaps but you get the point.

• Love 1

The show did give us DJ Lame and Alex. Now imagine if you had them at the same time. You should fear what your idea could end up looking like.

Trust me I do, that's why its in the Hopes & Fears :)

I think the show has proved it's bad at triangles. Look at the mess between Felicity, Oliver and Ray. And then there was Tommy, Oliver and Laurel.

They shouldn't attempt triangles anymore. Poor Thea, I wouldn't wish it on her even though she's on my list.

You know the thing is those weren't really triangles because OQ & FS belong together, anybody else is a placeholder and therefore not a triangle. In a triangle, you want the main character to be torn between who they should be with. SA & EBR suck at pretending they should be with anyone else besides each other when they are on the screen. The only person I ever believed was in love was Ray, so he just came off as pathetic. FS was just waiting out her time for OQ to come around. As for T/O/L, that triangle was never even explored because they dropped it once they dropped LL as the LI in end of s1. It might have had potential, but alas nobody is alive to test it out and OQ peaced out of it for most of s1. A one night stand with the curtains open is not the foundation of a good triangle.

~~~

But with the right actors a love triangle can be interesting. It's about more than just the geometry of 3 people in a romantic scenario. In quality written love triangles, there are actual viable pairings on both sides. People can actually see a person having a hard time choosing one over the other. I want to be torn between one side and fighting for my side to win. But most of it comes down to acting & chemistry. I could believe WH being in love with 2 men at the same time. Likewise, I could see her being in love with a guy and then having to compete for his attention from another female. It could also be interesting if that other female was evil. I could never believe SA in a triangle because he plays OQ to emotionally committed to FS since s2. Likewise, EBR has chemistry with everyone but I only see her having heat with SA. Perhaps if they had cast RP differently, but the time for triangles with O/F has sailed.

I'm just saying the storyline has potential. But the writers do suck at them which is why its both a hope & a fear. However, if they get new blood in the writers room it might work, especially now that LL is gone. So really the only romantic storyline that is wide open is TQ. And frankly, I'd rather they just let O/F be together in the background and thrust the drama/angst on TQ, because I think WH can actually act out romantic drama/angst in an appealing way. Like when I believed she was more in love with Tommy than LL (his actual gf). SA just brings out his sad puppy eyes & EBR just gets bitchy. Romantic drama & Angst do not look good on SA or EBR.

• Love 1

I don't really want a love triangle with anyone. I can't really think of one that I've enjoyed. But I do think that giving Thea a bad dude with whom she could have a push-and-pull thing could be interesting if the casting was right, wouldn't suck.

• Love 1