Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Ink on the Dotted Line

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Wow that was an amazing amount of suck.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such horrible line work from almost everyone in the history of this show! 

Other than Daniel and Josh, was there a single straight line to be seen?

• Love 8

The flash challenges were all surprisingly well done. I agreed, as usual, with Dave that Anthony's team was best.

I'd rather see the 29th episode of American Traditional tattoos than some made-up balloon sugar head lice challenge that guarantees failure.

An image search on pixelated tattoos brings up a lot of stuff that looks nothing like what the judges seemed to expect.

pixel.JPG

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jal said:

Hated Team DJ's flash challenge win. What the hell kind of image was that? Team Anthony should've won.

It was so stupid looking, particularly compared to Team Anthony's inspired peace of God playing chess.

• Love 3

I thought Anthony's hand in the flash challenge looked wonky. I liked Steve's image, but Josh pointing out the double shadows is now something I can't unsee. 

There is no way that canvas that walked out wasn't a plant to do exactly that. And when they didn't get the drama they wanted, the judges tried to blame it on the artist (whose name I don't remember). I hope Anthony really likes that tattoo.

Being ink free (but coming close many times), I've always wondered about the don't shave yourself rule. I'm glad I got to see why that's problematic. It's a shame, because that was actually an interesting subject matter that would fit pixelation. The drawing looked good; just the execution was terrible. I don't disagree with the choice to send Katie home.

And finally, Katie, are you an only child? Really... anyone with siblings knew the "get under someone's skin" game by the time they were 10. Josh is a master troll at it. I'm not a Josh fan; but he's baiting her because she's giving him exactly the reaction he wants. All Katie needed to do was ignore him and he would have found another target. 

• Love 3

Anthony's team should have won the flash challenge.

Why can't the judges be consistent? They dinged the rose for not having outlines around the squares on the basis that it wouldn't last yet praised the mermaid that also didn't outline the squares?

Shit challenge, shit results. Get off my fkn lawn.

• Love 9

I have to agree that part of the hand in Team Anthony's flash challenge was messed up. The little finger and one or two next to it weren't correct. The proportion was wrong and they didn't connect to the hand the right way. It was wrong enough that I wouldn't have given them the win either, given the strength of the other designs. But the chessboard floor was stellar. 

There is a reason I searched for an artist for a long time; straight lines are a must with me and I would not have allowed the majority of those tattoos to have continue on my body. The mermaid came was spot on with the pixilation requirement and looked great. The pixilation has to look like a part of the picture and most of the artists just added randomly colored or shaded boxes on the tat (like the space helmet).

I was also confused about the critique on the mermaid and the rose. Although the mermaid looked great now, the pixels will fade faster without the outline. The rose was all black and gray but won't fade as fast, despite the lack of outline.

• Love 3

I think DJ winning the flash was BS manipulation since his team was down. 

Wow, the judges are not giving a shit what Dave thinks this season!

They really need to give these guys some acting lessons before each season, cuz their line readings are pretty poor. 

• Love 5

I did love Dave's "We're all artists, we all have egos, deal with it & compete." (Not an exact quote). Ever the voice of reason. Love him!

Other than that still kind of meh.  I really think not having the previous eps marathoned each week is affecting that. I usually know everyone and have a favorite or 2 by now, but I've usually seen the eps multiple times, too.

Anthony not wanting to get tattooed, but doing it for his team was adorable.

Edited by cherbitrary
  • Love 3

Anthony hating to get tattooed was ... unexpected. And talk about "taking one for the team"!

I know there was a lot of competition for worst this round, but it really baffles me how Lil'D is still there. 20 years of not being able to draw.

• Love 4

All of L'il D's tattoos are prison tattoos, I apologize if he has never been in prison. It's not a good aesthetic to me, personally.

There was a lot of crap this episode, why would a pixelated tattoo be a thing? I don't understand the concept.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2018 at 12:22 AM, Kelda Feegle said:

Anthony's team should have won the flash challenge.

Why can't the judges be consistent? They dinged the rose for not having outlines around the squares on the basis that it wouldn't last yet praised the mermaid that also didn't outline the squares?

Shit challenge, shit results. Get off my fkn lawn.

I would have been happy with Steve or Anthony's team winning the flash challenge, I thought they were both much better than DJ's.  But as someone else mentioned, I think they gave it to DJ so he wouldn't be down another artist.

I think the difference between the rose and the mermaid is that the rose had no black outlines at all, not in the rose or the squares.  The mermaid itself has a black outline, it was only the squares that weren't.  So as it ages the mermaid will look fine but with blue smudges around it.

Overall I think the pixel challenge was a fail, only a couple managed to make the pixels work, most just ended up with bad tattoos.

• Love 2

When are these people going to realize that you will only get so far in the tattoo world if you can't draw?  Unless you're the one they come to for flash, your career will stall without the ability to draw.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, aussieinsydney said:

I never knew a pixelated tattoo was a thing before watching this episode. I've decided that they are shit and I'd never get one.

They're pretty difficult to do correctly.  Alexey  does some pretty cool ones.  The mermaid one is close to something he would do.  They're a little more subtle, more like glitches in his work.

• Love 2
On 2/13/2018 at 11:41 PM, Psychobunny said:

Thanks for that link. Those tattoos are beautiful. Scroll down to the Dr. Who telephone box to see what can be done with a pixilated tattoo. The pixilation gives the sense of a time warp.

I covet that piece, actually.  LOL.