Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Liz's Story- LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, aliya said:

Man, how much do you have to eat to gain 50 lbs in 2 months??  Is it mostly the immobility and not expending any calories or is it the food? I think I could eat a pizza every day for 60 days and not gain 50 lbs. Wow.

I figure at least 6-8,000 calories.  To put on 50lbs in 60 days, you need to consume an extra 3,000 or so calories a day, and given how large Liz is (even being bed bound) her BMR is probably 3-5,000 calories. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Kvv9862 said:

You'd have to eat A LOT to maintain that size right? How much is she eating to gain 50 pounds in 60 days? She's definitely one that thought weight loss surgery was like taking a magic pill 

Dr. Now says about 7,000 plus calories

I still don’t think she gets it.  Weight is down because she’s hospitalized. The minute he sends her home, surgery or not, she’ll be shoveling it in again.

• Love 11
Just now, dreadfulLeigh said:

Wait a damn minute. How long ago did she have surgery? And she’s only just now attempting to walk stand!

After regaining 100 lbs. Eating crap and justifying it. I had spinach on my pizza. Lol.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

What, WHAT?! She gets approved for weight loss surgery and barely stood up? For two seconds? 

Compared to how horrendous some of the other patients are and the extremely low expectations I'd say it's "progress". 

You know, there are people with traumatic brain injury that can't walk, people who have had strokes and can't walk, soldiers that have had legs blown off in battle that can't walk. And then there are these monstrosities that have done this TO THEMSELVES. Makes me sick. Every week. 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

What, WHAT?! She gets approved for weight loss surgery and barely stood up? For two seconds? 

After what poor Rena had to go through to get approved, this seems all sorts of wrong. 

And no reaming out the enabling aunt and mother? What madness is this?

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Kvv9862 said:

You'd have to eat A LOT to maintain that size right? How much is she eating to gain 50 pounds in 60 days? She's definitely one that thought weight loss surgery was like taking a magic pill 

I really like the episodes where Dr. Now announces how many calories they consumed to get such gains. I wish they included it each time. I wonder if he tells them off camera. Likewise, I wonder if any of them get off-camera advice about portions, the typical 1200-cal diet, and their "magic pill" expectations.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Don’t help or anything Dr. Now. Geesh.

Dr Now is 70 something. I'm 64 and wouldn't risk a torn rotator cuff, falling, or a sprain helping these people up. That's why the hospital has aides and PT people.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, preciousperfect said:

Is it really standing up if two people are holding you and you are leaning on a walker?

Given how atrophied her leg muscles must be and how much weight they have to attempt to support, I’ll give her a pass. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:
6 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

After what poor Rena had to go through to get approved, this seems all sorts of wrong. 

And no reaming out the enabling aunt and mother? What madness is this?

I've noticed this inconsistency periodically.

• Love 1

It seems like there is at least one who died after the fact (maybe a year or more) back in the earlier seasons. So it wasn't shown because it didn't happen as part of the filming but it was mentioned in a follow-up or something that the patient eventually lost the battle to get their weight under control.

1 minute ago, Maggienolia said:

It seems like there is at least one who died after the fact (maybe a year or more) back in the earlier seasons. So it wasn't shown because it didn't happen as part of the filming but it was mentioned in a follow-up or something that the patient eventually lost the battle to get their weight under control.

I think that was Henry, season 2 maybe?  He was actually a really nice guy and successful at controlling his eating too.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

I'd like to see some follow-ups: Penny, Pauline, AW! ma leg James, the Assanti bros, Chay (or whatever her name is this week).

I'd like to see a follow-up webpage to track where they are now. Still on track or still a train wreck or what. I don't EVER want to see the Assanti brothers again. Nope. Three episodes was MORE than enough of that crazy. But an online, non-video update would be interesting. Plus, interesting to see a more global comparison of how they're all doing over time. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

I'd like to see some follow-ups: Penny, Pauline, AW! ma leg James, the Assanti bros, Chay (or whatever her name is this week).

I wouldn’t mind a follow up on Justin but I couldn’t care less about Steven.  The only thing I might want to hear about him is his timely death from the fall off a golf cart.

• Love 7