Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S14.E10: Personal Jesus

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Sarnia said:

The fact that a 12 year old kid needs to know "the procedure" is precisely the heart of the problem. A kid should think first that the police is here to protect him, not kill him. The fact that there is a need for "The Talk" is heart-wrenching and shocking.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. But reality is an Onion headline these days. US cops procedure is shoot first, cover up later.

Edited by flickers

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Layne said:

So why do you think your friends were arrested and released while the kid in the show was shot and killed? 

They weren't my friends.  They were my sister's ex and his friend.  According to my neighbors, who filled me in on what happened when I got home, by that time the police and the idiots were long gone, when the cops arrived, they identified themselves, drew their weapons, and ordered them to put their hands up.  They did, and both were arrested.  They also had to post bail, and were charged with disturbing the peace, trespassing and breaking and entering.  The breaking and entering charge was dropped because the police couldn't find any evidence that they had actually broken a window or door or tried to force one open.

After dragging out Jo's secret for years, they sure wrapped that SL up in no time.

Quote

If they suspected he was breaking in, arrest him and bring him in. There was simply no reason to shoot him. The kid wasn't doing anything threatening to them or anyone else. He didn't have a weapon, he wasn't brandishing a weapon. So the cop thought the kid might have a weapon when he was reaching for his pocket.

The kid was breaking into the house.  When the cops tell you to put your hands up, and you reach into your pocket instead, that is threatening and suspicious.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

In this and every other situation like this that we see on the news, until or unless you see a weapon, there is no threat and therefore no justification to use deadly force. You can't just shoot someone on sight because you think they might have a gun. That's unreasonable. And the argument still holds that, if it were a white kid doing the exact same things, we can bet the cop wouldn't have fired. Sad but true.

Not every police encounter with a black youth ends up this way, obviously. For every situation like this kid's, there are scores more black youths and adults who have scenarios that end no differently than that of their white counterpart with no one being hurt or even arrested or treated poorly in any way. There are tons of good outcomes. But the difference between the black youth and the white youth is that the black youth does not have the luxury of assuming that their encounter will end with the good outcome the way their white friend probably does, does not have the luxury of not having to be trained and prepared from childhood to know how to interact with police in a way their white friend doesn't. That's privilege.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Chicken Wing said:

But the argument holds that, if it were a white kid doing the exact same things, we can bet the cop wouldn't have fired. Sad but true.

Not every police encounter with a black youth ends up this way, obviously. For every situation like this kid's, there are scores more black youths and adults who have scenarios that end no differently than that of their white counterpart with no one being hurt or even arrested or treated poorly in any way. There are tons of good outcomes. But the difference between the black youth and the white youth is that the black youth does not have the luxury of assuming that their encounter will end with the good outcome the way their white friend probably does, does not have the luxury of not having to be trained and prepared from childhood to know how to interact with police in a way their white friend doesn't. That's privilege.

 Exactly. I lost my key often when I was a kid. Or forgot it. I broke into my house a few times a month and never once were the cops called on me.

 

I am somewhat surprised April and Jackson had never discussed this or race at all. I know I'm viewing that through the lens of my own relationship where we've definitely discussed this and his experiences, mine, and how they differ.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, flickers said:

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

I apologize. English is not my first language so some subtleties may escape me, and I wasn't sure whether you were serious or not.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:

And the argument still holds that, if it were a white kid doing the exact same things, we can bet the cop wouldn't have fired. Sad but true.

No, the post I originally responded to said the cops would never have been called at all if it had been a white person breaking into the house.  Not true.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

No, the post I originally responded to said the cops would never have been called at all if it had been a white person breaking into the house.  Not true.

This I can agree with. Now, if the kid had just been skulking around in front of the house and someone called the police to report a suspicious figure loitering on the property? Something like that would definitely have been impacted by whether the kid were white or black. But "breaking into" a house is a suspicious activity no matter what you look like. I don't have issue with someone calling the police to report what looked like a kid breaking into a house, though I wonder who it was that called. If it was a neighbor, did they not get a glimpse of his face or do they just not know what their own neighbors look like? Now, the cop's actions upon arriving and encountering the kid, well, that's another story. There, I do believe the situation would have gone differently with a white kid doing X, Y and Z versus a black kid doing the exact same X, Y and Z.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 26/01/2018 at 11:43 PM, jabbi said:

I didn’t care for the way Paul’s story ended, either. Also, am I really expected to believe that Paul would haul off the rails in front of THE Meredith Grey? Isn’t he supposed to be a general surgeon as well? For someone who seems really concerned about his career, he sure doesn’t mind showing his a** in front of one of the most prestigious surgeons in the country right now. 

 

I really don’t like how everyone on this show still treats Kepner like an incompetent fool. She is written to be a good trauma surgeon, but everyone still acts like she’s an idiot. It’s annoying.

 

I cried at the end when Bailey and Ben had that talk with Tuck. That was the most powerful part of this episode IMO. The kid who played Tuck really did a great job in that scene, too. 

My ex started yelling at me in court in front of a judge. When they lose control of you they can't help themselves.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

This I can agree with. Now, if the kid had just been skulking around in front of the house and someone called the police to report a suspicious figure loitering on the property? Something like that would definitely have been impacted by whether the kid were white or black. But "breaking into" a house is a suspicious activity no matter what you look like. I don't have issue with someone calling the police to report what looked like a kid breaking into a house, though I wonder who it was that called. If it was a neighbor, did they not get a glimpse of his face or do they just not know what their own neighbors look like? Now, the cop's actions upon arriving and encountering the kid, well, that's another story. There, I do believe the situation would have gone differently with a white kid doing X, Y and Z versus a black kid doing the exact same X, Y and Z.

What I said was had it been a white kid, I almost guarantee the police wouldn't have been called.  I could be wrong. Perhaps what I should have said is if the same person as presented with the exact same scenario, their bias is to trust the white person's intention whereas they're less likely to trust the black kid. 

For example, there is this black guy that lives in my parent's upper class affluent mainly white neighborhood. He walks everywhere he goes. He does talk to himself occasionally but he's been walking around the neighborhood for over a decade. He's harmless and lives there.  Lots of people walk to the store and the neighborhood where they live.

 

However, about every 6 months someone deems him suspicious based on nothing but the fact that he's black. He's not. He's just and older black man that I suspect has a disability that likes to walk. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

And the writers who have no clue on how a Christian acts or would act try to convince the rest of us that April doesn't have a clue either. 

April is one of my favorite characters, and while I appreciate the fact that she is a Christian, I still shake my head at the way the writers portray her. First I think she would have had a better conversation with that young man about how and when we can take the Bible literally, as for her going of the deep end and doubting, having her jump into bed with an almost total stranger is just wrong.

Jackson wake up your wife needs you and if you can't see it beyond your own selfish needs I don't know what to say.

I totally agree with @Daisy all you said about April was spot on. Thank-you! having April come out like a fanatic is just wrong.

Why not have some one come in and write a Christian that actually knows how to do it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Lyanna19 said:

And the writers who have no clue on how a Christian acts or would act try to convince the rest of us that April doesn't have a clue either. 

Christians aren't a monolithic block, they don't all act the same way.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lyanna19 said:

Jackson wake up your wife needs you and if you can't see it beyond your own selfish needs I don't know what to say.

She's not his wife; they're divorced, he owes her nothing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

And the writers who have no clue on how a Christian acts or would act try to convince the rest of us that April doesn't have a clue either. 

April is one of my favorite characters, and while I appreciate the fact that she is a Christian, I still shake my head at the way the writers portray her. First I think she would have had a better conversation with that young man about how and when we can take the Bible literally, as for her going of the deep end and doubting, having her jump into bed with an almost total stranger is just wrong.

Jackson wake up your wife needs you and if you can't see it beyond your own selfish needs I don't know what to say.

I totally agree with @Daisy all you said about April was spot on. Thank-you! having April come out like a fanatic is just wrong.

Why not have some one come in and write a Christian that actually knows how to do it?

Sarah Drew is a Christian. Her father is a pastor. 

Edited by Layne
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

@MrWhyt no not all Christians act the same way but it figures they would have the one Christian where they may not mock her on the show but leaves us the viewers rolling our eyes.

@flickers

Edited by Lyanna19
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@flickersI beg to differ, they were close and in love (once) I think any normal person would see if their significant other were hurting. She certainly is aware of him. And for what it's worth, (even tho I think it's a waste of time me even thinking or hoping for this) I'm on team Japril. Still going for a reconcilliation.

@Layne how much influence do you think Sarah Drew actually had when it comes to writing or acting her part? She has to do or say what the writers tell her. And that's my beef, they need a writer who actually understand Christianity, and not writes who mock Christians and write them the way they want to

Remember how they show her family? As redneck hillbillies.

Edited by Lyanna19 · Reason: Added
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

how much influence do you think Sarah Drew actually had when it comes to writing or acting her part? She has to do or say what the writers tell her. And that's my beef, they need a writer who actually understand Christianity, and not writes who mock Christians and write them the way they want to

Remember how they show her family? As redneck hillbillies.

Idk man, just going by what I've heard and read in interviews, like this one: http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/50665/20140320/sarah-drew-talks-portraying-an-authentic-christian-on-greys-anatomy-and-saving-herself-for-marriage.htm

Fun fact: Her real life father played her father on the show!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 31 January 2018 at 1:35 PM, Lyanna19 said:

 

@flickersI beg to differ, they were close and in love (once) I think any normal person would see if their significant other were hurting. She certainly is aware of him. And for what it's worth, (even tho I think it's a waste of time me even thinking or hoping for this) I'm on team Japril. Still going for a reconcilliation

 

I go back and forth on whose side I'm on in the Japril marriage Demise but I think Jackson has made it clear that he has minimum time for April and certainly has no intention to reconcile. He's too busy skeeving on Maggie. If I were April I don't think I'd even want him back given how disdainful he was of her last season (Montana trip springs to mind). He's moved on and I think she should too. I've no doubt once she does hell want her back. It's like the MO for Japril - she treats him badly, he dumps her, she's sorry and wants him back, he says no, moves on and urges her to do the same and then once she finally does and is happy he's in love with her again.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/31/2018 at 8:35 AM, Lyanna19 said:

@Layne how much influence do you think Sarah Drew actually had when it comes to writing or acting her part?

While pregnant, she encouraged Shonda to write the story where they found Samuel's condition while he was in utero and then she acted Samuel's labor and death, while pregnant with her own child. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

While pregnant, she encouraged Shonda to write the story where they found Samuel's condition while he was in utero and then she acted Samuel's labor and death, while pregnant with her own child. 

She was also pregnant (still pregnant?) when April gave birth to Harriet.  In fact, she (Sarah Drew) went into labor a few days after they filmed her (April Kepner) kitchen table c-section scene.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2 February 2018 at 1:06 AM, OtterMommy said:

She was also pregnant (still pregnant?) when April gave birth to Harriet.  In fact, she (Sarah Drew) went into labor a few days after they filmed her (April Kepner) kitchen table c-section scene.

No she was pregnant in real life only for Samuel and then she went into an early labour like the day after they filmed his death. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/1/2018 at 5:06 PM, OtterMommy said:

She was also pregnant (still pregnant?) when April gave birth to Harriet.  In fact, she (Sarah Drew) went into labor a few days after they filmed her (April Kepner) kitchen table c-section scene.

It was a few HOURS after the Samuel scene actually! She says she finished shooting at 8pm and went into labor at 6am the next morning. 

Edited by Layne

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Chas411 said:

No she was pregnant in real life only for Samuel and then she went into an early labour like the day after they filmed his death. 

She's had two pregnancies on the show. The second one was during the Samuel pregnancy storyline. Any idea what storylines April had going on during Sarah's first pregnancy? 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Layne said:

She's had two pregnancies on the show. The second one was during the Samuel pregnancy storyline. Any idea what storylines April had going on during Sarah's first pregnancy? 

Sarah drew was pregnant during season 8 and had just about come back from her maternity leave when japril had sex in the bathroom at the boards, which I was like “you go girl!” Lol. 

Go watch the episode where they play softball, the way they chose to hide her pregnancy in one scene is a striped shirt and the baseball glove, hahaha. 

Share this post


Link to post

Well, Grey's Anatomy, you have finally done it. I can no longer stand to be preached at every time I tune in to watch. I have officially removed you from my DVR. Good riddance!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, SL16 said:

Well, Grey's Anatomy, you have finally done it. I can no longer stand to be preached at every time I tune in to watch. I have officially removed you from my DVR. Good riddance!

I feel similar. I will keep watching, cause I'm stupidly attached to the characters (well only 1 character at this point), but I hate how they beat us over the head with all those social issues they feel the need to address. Of course Grey's has always done that to a certain degree, but it's becoming unbearable.

Especially because it seems to me Raising Awareness™ has become the top priority and it's not actually about telling character stories that are supposed to develop these characters or let us get to know them better. Like Jo's DV story. For 2.5 years it got dragged out and was only ever addressed in combination with some big reveal (telling DeLuca, telling Alex, Alex looking for Stadler, Stadler showing up). Now it got finally resolved, but again it was more about raising awareness for domestic violence than about Jo as a character. I don't really feel like I know her that much better now, tbh.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Is Bethany Joy Lenz related to Kay Lenz? She sure looks like her, but I saw nothing online to that effect.

Same here. I'm just thrilled somebody else remembers Kay Lenz? She was the coolest when I was a kid!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×