Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: The Pop-Ups

• Start Topic

A lawyer who won't agree to a pre-nup?  We're generally the ones trying to knock some sense into friends who insure their houses against burning to the ground but don't insure their marriages against the far more likely chance of divorce.  And he practices family law!

Of course Allison's cat's fur fell out.  I laughed out loud at Bud's "He's not a hairless cat?!"

I want an invitation to the Designing Women party.

Grace's face when she realized there was a reason Arlene's son "dumped" her in the senior living facility was such a great little moment of acting by Jane Fonda.  Nice job by the actor playing Arlene, too.

Sisters Frankie and Teddy reminds me of Sisters.  Now they just need a Georgie and an Alex.

• Love 10

Do the different colored layers in candy corn really taste different?

The lip syncing on this episode was awful. Distracting. 

Who went to Duke? Sol or Robert? Anyone know? 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a question.
On 1/19/2018 at 6:33 PM, Bastet said:

Nice job by the actor playing Arlene, too.

That's Marsha Mason! I didn't recognize her at first and thought the actress looked too young to be playing someone around Grace's age, but Mason is 75.

And Teddie is Talia Shire, although I had to look that one up.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 7
On 1/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, Bastet said:

Sisters Frankie and Teddy reminds me of Sisters.  Now they just need a Georgie and an Alex.

Technically "Alex" is an occasional guest on the show...only she's playing Grace's frenemy Janet.    LOL

On 1/19/2018 at 6:33 PM, Bastet said:

I want an invitation to the Designing Women party.

I have to be Julia! There is no other option for me. 

The whole scene with Arlene was so hard.  I don't know what I would do if I was the child in that situation. 

• Love 2

The whole scene with Arlene was so hard.  I don't know what I would do if I was the child in that situation. 

I thought it was a very nicely done story.  It was more subtle than the show usually handles things. 

And honestly, what choice is there?  If your parent's memory is failing to the point where they may endanger themselves, you do what you need to do to ensure they get into a safer situation. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I thought it was a very nicely done story.  It was more subtle than the show usually handles things. 

And honestly, what choice is there?  If your parent's memory is failing to the point where they may endanger themselves, you do what you need to do to ensure they get into a safer situation. 

I took care of someone like that, many years ago as an aide. I remember, at first I thought she was fine and the kids were crazy but then over time, the stove incidences and forgetfulness got worse and I saw how painful it was to move her to a different facility. It wasn't as nice as the one here, which is another story, but you need a lot of money for that.

I thought Grace handled it well and I love that actress who played Arlene on "The Middle" also.

• Love 1

I'm actually surprised how anti-climatic the storyline with Oliver and Jo ended up being. I thought for sure they were going to go with a modern twist involving a polyamorous relationship and wanting Sol to join as a third... I guess that's just me and how my brain works! Perhaps that would have been too radical and liberal, even for this show.

Edited by Roccos Brother
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Roccos Brother said:

I'm actually surprised how anti-climatic the storyline with Oliver and Jo ended up being.

The story just ... disappeared. I did notice that Oliver worded his defense as, "No matter who I might be attracted to, I'd never cheat on Jo." 

The big difference between the older generation and this one was that it wasn't just the sister of the bride warning her, it was almost everyone she knew. I would have preferred something more like, "I've known he was bi since we first started dating. I am, too." But if it was that or a poly thing, the plot couldn't have had the neighborly rift and fights.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Do the different colored layers in candy corn really taste different?

Probably not, but I nibble them separately nonetheless (though I limit myself to fewer than 10 a year).

On 1/20/2018 at 3:17 PM, 2727 said:

That's Marsha Mason! I didn't recognize her at first and thought the actress looked too young to be playing someone around Grace's age, but Mason is 75.

And Teddie is Talia Shire, although I had to look that one up.

I recognized Marsha, but not Talia.

On 1/21/2018 at 6:29 AM, txhorns79 said:

Legally, it can be a mine field. If you aren't already their representative, or have power of attorney, there isn't a hell of a lot you can do - especially if they aren't inclined to listen, or are aggressively obstructive. Just deleted a little TMI about the struggles I had getting my father taken care of. It took literal years, and many trips to the courts.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

IIRC Marsha Mason's character was in one or two episodes last season as well.

We met her in season two; she was the nice one among the old circle of friends Grace met up with.  Then we saw her again in season three as part of the focus group Grace and Frankie convened when they first developed the vibrators. 

• Love 2

I thought it was ridiculous they expected us to believe they could just set up a pop up at a college campus without permission.  My birthday is in Dec., I started college at 17, did they think it was ok to sell vibrators to possibly underage teens?

20 hours ago, Juniebaby said:

I thought it was ridiculous they expected us to believe they could just set up a pop up at a college campus without permission.  My birthday is in Dec., I started college at 17, did they think it was ok to sell vibrators to possibly underage teens?

Well, they did get kicked off campus.  Frankie chose that location so she could see her sister.  I hope they are able to reconcile, but I understand Teddy’s reaction.  And what’s the background on Teddy and Frankie, both generally considered names/nicknames for boys?  

Have to wonder what Robert told the neighbor to elicit such a negative reaction.

Loved seeing Arlene again.  Marsha Mason is so good!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

And what’s the background on Teddy and Frankie,

As was mentioned above,  was wondering if this show shared any writers with the show Sisters. Swoosie Kurtz has made some appearances. Now the boys as girls names thing.

The big difference between the older generation and this one was that it wasn't just the sister of the bride warning her, it was almost everyone she knew. I would have preferred something more like, "I've known he was bi since we first started dating. I am, too." But if it was that or a poly thing, the plot couldn't have had the neighborly rift and fights.

Even the new Will and Grace acknowledges bisexuality nowadays. I'm surprised this show pretty much has not.

Edited by CherithCutestory

I think this is the best role I've ever seen Marsha Mason do on TV.  She was Frasier's Dad's girlfriend "Sherry" and then Frankie's mom on "The Middle".  Of course I can't ever forget her in "The Goodbye Girl".  All I could think of when I saw Talia Shire was "You Adrian".  Yeah, I know I should retire that one.

I just have to say that the actress that plays Brianna is brilliant in her role.

• Love 3
On 2/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, CherithCutestory said:

Even the new Will and Grace acknowledges bisexuality nowadays. I'm surprised this show pretty much has not.

I was surprised they wrote Sol as gay -- I assumed he was bi, the way they showed his love for Frankie & his interest in sex with her. It would really fit the character better IMO, but bi erasure is very common so I shouldn't be surprised.

• Like 1