Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: The Anniversary

Katie and Greg dislike Taylor's new boyfriend, so they attempt to use reverse psychology to drive a wedge between them, which later backfires. After Spencer's over-the-top vision for Oliver's first date with a girl from his ballet class bombs, Greg helps Oliver make up for it with a romantic gesture.

Can Taylor seriously get a boyfriend where the mom isn't a complete bitch or the boyfriend is so stupid you wonder how he breathes? I really liked Oliver's plot because it worked well, as much as he wants to be: "Rich and life will be great" doesn't people around him see it the same way. Sure these girls and other kids might be too privileged to understand life, but in the long run, they don't like having money when it can't get them a decent relationship and everyone judges them. I wish Oliver would figure that out more, but Spencer really is out of touch with things. Cracked up at the spray tan and how Oliver wanted them to stop. I felt bad for Anna-kat because I was that kid, but I didn't try to ruin things like that for other kids. You just have to realize that there is feeling left out and then there is feeling pitied. Sometimes you just have to deal with it as Greg put it. 

I'm pretty convinced "South Branson" was originally written to be "South Norwalk" but they changed it to a fictitious town because of the town's disapproval of the way it was being portrayed.  Especially with the remark "Finally, someone that can kick your ass".  There is no Branson or South Branson in Connecticut, while there is a "South Norwalk" with streets that look like the place where the pizza shop was.

Taylor's boyfriend is reminding me of Axl's dumb girlfriend in "The Middle" although the show didn't ever make the family like her at all and Axl did end up breaking up with her.

I just saw Dietrich Bader in "Office Space".  I know that movie forever but never knew he was in it.  I recognized him right away, mustache and long hair and all!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I'm pretty convinced "South Branson" was originally written to be "South Norwalk" but they changed it to a fictitious town because of the town's disapproval of the way it was being portrayed.  Especially with the remark "Finally, someone that can kick your ass".  There is no Branson or South Branson in Connecticut, while there is a "South Norwalk" with streets that look like the place where the pizza shop was.

Taylor's boyfriend is reminding me of Axl's dumb girlfriend in "The Middle" although the show didn't ever make the family like her at all and Axl did end up breaking up with her.

I just saw Dietrich Bader in "Office Space".  I know that movie forever but never knew he was in it.  I recognized him right away, mustache and long hair and all!

Yes and it was a horrible joke on how April on The Middle was when they introduced her parents and dealt with Axl "marrying her". You just had to go: "How did they get a daughter that stupid." So having Taylor's boyfriend being like him who somehow "got money" or were "smart with money but not life" was too much. It just portrays the entire town as super idiots who basically convert others to think like them and if they don't. They are outcasts. It really stretches believe-ability and as the real town has pretty much had it being fictionalized as a town full of complete idiots that have too much money to know what to do with and everyone gets away with murder unless Katie and Greg step in. It goes to far and now with Taylor's boyfriend and his family, I mean they think it be funnier to have Taylor get more stupid? No, it's not, just like April on the Middle, it got to the point they wondered how she knew how to breathe. 

Oliver's spray tan was hysterical. I also liked Ana-Kat explaining reverse psychology to Taylor - and then when Taylor confronted her parents over it, she had to shout upstairs to Ana-Kat "What's it called again?"

• Love 7
13 hours ago, readster said:

Sure these girls and other kids might be too privileged to understand life,

Funny, though, Oliver's girl probably doesn't have money. She has to work in her family's pizza place which I can't imagine is putting them at the same financial level as many of those other kids. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

Funny, though, Oliver's girl probably doesn't have money. She has to work in her family's pizza place which I can't imagine is putting them at the same financial level as many of those other kids. 

And that is what made the date perfect.  Instead of being impressed by the expensive restaurant, she told Oliver that it was "All very weird".  And when she left, she didn't even want to ride in the limo-- she preferred to walk.

A great lesson for Oliver.  The only downside is that I enjoy watching him and Spencer together, and I hope they continue that.  You have to be old enough to remember the 80's and 90's, but if you were there, you can relate to this:

"Nothing impresses a girl like having a giant phone brought to your table."

Oliver:  I have to go

"Yes!  Pretend you're too important to talk.  That will work!"

BWHAHAHAHAHA!  

Good times. . . 

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

And that is what made the date perfect.  Instead of being impressed by the expensive restaurant, she told Oliver that it was "All very weird".  And when she left, she didn't even want to ride in the limo-- she preferred to walk.

A great lesson for Oliver.  The only downside is that I enjoy watching him and Spencer together, and I hope they continue that.  You have to be old enough to remember the 80's and 90's, but if you were there, you can relate to this:

"Nothing impresses a girl like having a giant phone brought to your table."

Oliver:  I have to go

"Yes!  Pretend you're too important to talk.  That will work!"

BWHAHAHAHAHA!  

Good times. . . 

Oh, No I love Spencer and Oliver's relationship. It's gold, but it was a great lesson for Oliver, trying to be a big rich guy isn't going to be all rainbows and sunshines like he believes it is. Sure you can have things, live in a mansion, ect, but turn around and does is really get you in the run, in this town, no brains and other people going: "What the hell is wrong with you?" 

• Love 1

At the very end, it looked like they had exactly one pizza. Everyone took a slice and there were two left. I mean, I guess everyone did get some, so, yay? But it distracted me watching the scene. Did they seriously get only one pizza for that many people?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

At the very end, it looked like they had exactly one pizza. Everyone took a slice and there were two left. I mean, I guess everyone did get some, so, yay? But it distracted me watching the scene. Did they seriously get only one pizza for that many people?

Well Taylor, Katie and Greg all had tacos for dinner. I presume Anna-Kat had dinner, too.  I still agree with you, however.

15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

And the pizza was obviously hours old. I hate cold pizza so I kept thinking to myself how come the actors were actually eating it!

I loved those lighted balloons - that was so cool! I would love to see something like that in person!

They make me nervous that they're going to set something on fire, like if they get stuck in a tree or land on someone's house.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

They make me nervous that they're going to set something on fire, like if they get stuck in a tree or land on someone's house.

I was thinking that too, especially considering all the wildfire problems... and also wondering what the overall environmental implications of something like that might be.  I'm hoping it doesn't become a thing.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I was thinking that too, especially considering all the wildfire problems... and also wondering what the overall environmental implications of something like that might be.  I'm hoping it doesn't become a thing.

I think it was already a thing that came and went. I remember seeing it a few times on one of those wedding shows (Four Weddings I think it's called) several years back. Apparently they don't work all that well and they are dangerous so I think the idea fizzled out.

• Love 2

The main thing I was glad about with those Valentine-grams is that Katie isn't one of those moms who would march into the school and demand they stop the whole thing because her kid is being left out. Yeah, I know that sort of thing stinks - I was never exactly popular myself growing up - but Greg was right when he said Anna-Kat has to learn how the real world works (which he then negated by letting her come home, but alas).

On 1/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, AnnaRose said:

It's already a thing.  In the real world it looks like it is a very controlled activity. I would like to go sometime. It seems to originate in Chinese culture

11 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

but Greg was right when he said Anna-Kat has to learn how the real world works (which he then negated by letting her come home, but alas).

In some respects, the real world kind of can work like that. If I know Valentine's day will be uncomfortable to me, the lone single member of my office, I can take the day off and wallow at home. 

10 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

It's already a thing.  In the real world it looks like it is a very controlled activity.

Interesting!  Thank you for the link. 

I'm sure Ottos didn't arrange all of the safety precautions used by Lantern Fest:

Spoiler

How we recover the lanterns launched at The Lantern Fest:

During and Immediately After Launch
As lanterns are launched we send a team, equipped with fire extinguishers, to the general area where lanterns will be landing based on current weather conditions. This team isolates and monitors the landing area.

Two to Three hours After Launch
After all lanterns have launched and landed, The Lantern Fest crew and volunteers clean the venue and surrounding area. A small crew continues to monitor the lantern landing area.

Morning After Launch
A cleanup crew returns to the landing area early in the morning on the day after the event. This team sweeps the entire area to recover all lanterns that were launched the previous night.

We carefully designed and engineered our lanterns with biodegradable fuel cells that have a burn time of 3 to 4 minutes. This allows us to know exactly where our lanterns will land and ensures that each fuel cell is completely extinguished before touching down.

Typically, we select a venue located outside of populated areas in order to eliminate risk for the local community.

As requested by local authorities, we have fully equipped local fire professionals, a licensed pyrotechnic expert and licensed paramedics present at our events.

A fully trained staff is present for each event. A trained volunteer group of no less than 40 local volunteers is also present to ensure safety practices are followed throughout the event.

50 fire suppression devices are on hand at all times and available to volunteers and participants.

Safe lantern lighting procedures and lantern handling instructions are provided to all participants.

Participants under 16 years of age are not allowed to light or handle the lit lanterns.

I hope the episode doesn't encourage non-responsible use of flammable lanterns.

Anyway... Two new episodes this Wednesday!  One before Modern Family, and one after.

I hope we see more of Oliver with his not-rich girlfriend. He will have to change if he wants to be with her. It could be interesting to see him figure out how to be successful without emulating the dickishness he seems to think is necessary to that process.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 4:35 PM, iMonrey said:

these have got to be a fire hazard. does not seem like something any ol joe schmo should be doing. i wouldn't want any of those little fire hazards coming near my house. 

• Love 1