Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: The Way We Weren't

• Start Topic

Okay, I’m Danish (though not a philosopher) and I seriously don’t know what Kierkegaard has done to the world since he’s always being dragged out as proof for some tv figure’s supposed smartness (see also the first episode of Dawson’s Creek). One thing is for sure, Kierkegaard would have written something very sarcastic and mean about anyone who tried to be deep by saying “Carpe diem”. 

Is it just me or has Kelly’s babyvoice now gotten so bad that it is almost impossible to understand what she’s saying? 

• Love 3

I can't decide if I would have enjoyed it more or less if the show had made Kelly's attraction to/Brandon's jealous of Noah stemming from him being a bargain basement Dylan more textual.

Had forgotten about Valerie messing with Kelly in her amnesiac state and, like our fearless hosts, I was 100% here for it.  And like Tara said, it's not like Val was lying, she was just sweetening some truths and salting others.

Speaking of Val, David's assertion to Noah that she's a gold digger was such horseshit.  It's not like that's why he and Val got together.

Brandon and Noah's "fight" was just all kinds of ridiculousness, but the writers made Noah way too familiar with Brandon and their group.  He calls Brandon, "B" - again, he is not Chinatown Dylan (TM: Tara).  Then Noah says as far as he's concerned Brandon and Kelly were always meant for each other.  Noah's known them, what?  A week?  Two weeks tops?  Kelly got shot coming back from the short vacation and hasn't been in the hospital for months.  It's just all very bizarre how quickly they ingratiate him into the group.  

As for the Val-Kelly discussion, I thought Jennie and Tiffani were BFFs for a long time after they met on the show.  They had their falling out after the show ended while Jennie and her husband were divorcing.

• Love 3

I think the poster says "bull mastiff" over the picture, but still - that drawing looks like a straight up PUG.

I remember the '90s. they had cameras. They should have used a photograph.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Nanna said:

I seriously don’t know what Kierkegaard has done to the world since he’s always being dragged out as proof for some tv figure’s supposed smartness

I think it's probably a combination of "fun to say" and "people have heard of him, but not many actually know much about him." Making him the philosopher equivalent of belladonna/deadly nightshade, which shows up in pop culture disproportionately to its actual usefulness as a poison. (I know this because I went down a rabbit hole when I realized it was the most common weed in my yard, not because I was trying to figure out how to kill someone, OK NSA?). That, or one TV writer settled on him and all the rest fell in line, making him the philosopher equivalent of the 555 area code.

8 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

Brandon and Noah's "fight" was just all kinds of ridiculousness, but the writers made Noah way too familiar with Brandon and their group.  He calls Brandon, "B" - again, he is not Chinatown Dylan (TM: Tara).  Then Noah says as far as he's concerned Brandon and Kelly were always meant for each other.  Noah's known them, what?  A week?  Two weeks tops?  Kelly got shot coming back from the short vacation and hasn't been in the hospital for months.  It's just all very bizarre how quickly they ingratiate him into the group.  

Word. Again I ask: Noah, why are you always here?? The thing I loved about that "wanna get a drink?" exchange is Noah not really caring that Brandon didn't want to drink with him, but also Brandon's flat out "NO" when asked. Because really, why would Brandon want to go hang out with some low rent Dylan that he doesn't even know? 

David/Val is the only David couple that I ever really enjoyed so whether it's deserved or not, David's attitude towards Val just bums me out, especially how nasty he is with it.   

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, Earmuffs Mom said:

He [Noah] calls Brandon, "B"

That was so annoying.  "Hey "B", I call you by the first initial of your first name because we're like super tight friends, up top bro!"  Ugh.

18 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

My "five ways" challenge for the next episode (if it has not already been recorded): five ways (interminable) seasons 8 through 10 would have been improved had Kelly never regained her memory. 

Or 5 alternative memories Val could have planted in Kelly's noggin while next-level c-ing.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

That was so annoying.  "Hey "B", I call you by the first initial of your first name because we're like super tight friends, up top bro!"  Ugh.

Or 5 alternative memories Val could have planted in Kelly's noggin while next-level c-ing.

That’s a good one! 

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 0:34 PM, Earmuffs Mom said:

As for the Val-Kelly discussion, I thought Jennie and Tiffani were BFFs for a long time after they met on the show.  They had their falling out after the show ended while Jennie and her husband were divorcing.

I'm pretty sure this is true.  There are a few articles that talk about how Jennie and Tiffani were BFF's; though originally Jennie was a bitch to her.  I think soon after, Tiffani is a bridesmaid when Jennie and Peter F get married.  And Jennie even chose the name "Valerie" for her character on that show she was on with Amanda Bynes.  (seriously, all my trigonometry knowledge has been removed so I can keep these useless bits of information). 

I wish Val had constructed a whole fantasy world for Kelly- one where they are BFFs and have all sorts of fake memories.  

• Love 3

I'd like to point out the literal wacky trombone that accompanies Donna's "stuff" in this episode. Is the "tinkerbell disrobing" sexy sound bite going to make a comeback? (I hope so)

Theres so much infuriating stuff in this episode but Steve getting handed a newspaper is making my skull explode. Surely, my son who plagiarized in college (and what was his major anyway?) will do a better job running this newspaper than the people I just fired. 

• Love 3

I hate Noah Hunner. I hate the actor,  I do not think he's remotely attractive (he looks about as dumb as he sounds) and his whole, I'm too cool for school Chinatown Dylan McKay *TM Tara is so lame. What makes it worse is when Luke Perry comes slinking back on the show (next season? this season?) and they have overlap, I think. 

I get that Jennie just had a baby and was dead tired ... and maybe they should have put her in a coma for a few eps so the poor girl could have got some rest but, man is she looking RUFF. And the perpetual cat butt mouth and baby voice isn't helping... not to mention the frumpy haircut. They should have dragged out her recovery for awhile, give Noah Hunner and Bray-don a chance to show off their "acting" skills. Oh, wait.

Something nice: Donna's hair is a big improvement this season. That's all I got.

20 hours ago, Klaw said:

What makes it worse is when Luke Perry comes slinking back on the show (next season? this season?) and they have overlap, I think. 

They overlap for the rest of the run of the show!  Noah is there right up until the last episode with his AA girlfriend, Ellen.  Ugh.

20 hours ago, Klaw said:

I get that Jennie just had a baby and was dead tired ... and maybe they should have put her in a coma for a few eps so the poor girl could have got some rest but, man is she looking RUFF. And the perpetual cat butt mouth and baby voice isn't helping... not to mention the frumpy haircut. They should have dragged out her recovery for awhile, give Noah Hunner and Bray-don a chance to show off their "acting" skills. Oh, wait.

Something nice: Donna's hair is a big improvement this season. That's all I got.

I'll take her frumpy haircut over the razor job she does in a few episodes.  I loathe her super short hair in the middle of the season.

Donna as a redhead was by far her best look on the show.

Kelly's haircut in the middle of season 8 is the worst she looks on the show. She's annoying as hell, but she has beautiful hair. Why on earth would they choose THAT as the look? Her best overall look in the series was during seasons 6 and and beginning of 7.

I think at the end of the show she gets these "low lights" put in and it looks greasy and gross.  I remember a "sexy scene" that she and Dylan had stuffing turkeys at a homeless shelter-- he's got his mitts covered (COVERED) in stuffing and then tries to run his fingers along her neck.  It's nasty.

Donna as a redhead is totally cute.  I think this is where she rockets to the skies as "so gorgeous and talented"- even DoorMatt ends up liking her first, a change from the start of the show where Donna only gets Kelly's sloppy seconds/thirds.

When is Gina with the gorgeous hair coming?!