Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: A Man's Legacy

iMonrey
  • Start Topic

Brett attempts to make a lifesaving decision in the field to someone near and dear to the firehouse family. In an effort to impress Lily, Otis scrambles to get everything together for the grand opening of Molly's North. Meanwhile, Boden becomes emotional following the rescue of a famous blues player from a burning apartment building and Dawson struggles to come to terms with how she has been dealing with her father.

Wow, not even a thread for this episode? Not a good sign! So I guess I'll start one. Someone needs to tell me how to do that thing where the air date appears in gray after the title.

Once again, the show has grossly over-estimated my interest in Dawson. I honestly don't even remember what her father was doing when he was stabbed or why he was there or what he does for a living. That's how little I cared about that story before the break.

• Love 6

I admit, this episode was very meh. I'm glad Stella apologized to Sylvie. 

Didn't care about Ramon or Dawson even but it was nice to see Antonio and I think he might be seeing more Sylvie. 

The guy who died, I admit, if I was his kid, I wouldn't have anything to do with Boden at Molly's North. That just wasn't very interesting to me but I like the talk he had with Dawson and maybe he hopes that she and Ramon can still be close. 

Molly's North, I think things will happen to where it will shut down for some reason. 

Previews for next week... meh.... but then if there is less Dawson, I might be happy. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention the radio show... what the heck was that all about? Seems like it was some prank and maybe Brian just got cold feet on the air. 

Edited by Waterston Fan
  • Love 3
On 1/5/2018 at 4:17 PM, iMonrey said:

Wow, not even a thread for this episode? Not a good sign! So I guess I'll start one. Someone needs to tell me how to do that thing where the air date appears in gray after the title.

For anyone wondering this, should you start a thread:

Hit the Start New Topic button.

You will come to a page with some options and boxes. At the very top, you'll see a toggle option for Episode topic. Toggle the option ON for "Format for episode format?"

Then there will be a box for the title of the episode.

Underneath there will be a box asking for the season and another under that asking for the episode number. Finally, the last box will ask for the date. When you click on that box, a calendar will pop up where you select the air date. Hit the Edit Topic button at the bottom after that, and voila!

If you forget to toggle for the episode format in the future, it can be changed by using the edit icon (the pencil) and doing the steps from the starting post (no need for the New Topic button as the post will have been started already) then on.

Hope this helps.

• Love 6

It's sad how far this show has fallen.

I was hoping that Daddy Dawson wouldn't make it or would need round the clock care & then Gabby could shuffle off to florida or anywhere really to care for him....sadly I was left disappointed again. I almost vomited at the 'miracle' ending schtick.

They really do like to show Otis as incompetent don't they, I guess they think it is amusing but its not, it's cringeworthy. I'd be worried if he turned up to rescue me.

At least Brettonio had some chemistry....a nice change for a couple on this show. Guess that means it won't last. 

Finally...I know it's a TV show but they are seriously taking the piss now aren't they with the firefighting scenes (however brief and unimportant they seem to think they are) - so you have a room full of smoke & you kick the door down and wander in with no breathing apparatus, ok whatever. Or you are checking a building out to make sure the fire is out & just wander through poking the ceiling again with zero protection. At least make an effort.

• Love 7

Maybe I am not remembering correctly but didn't we see a scene last season where Gabby was the one pinning a medal on Casey at some awards thingy, and he said words to the effect that SHE not he was the hero.  And now in the first episode of this season her father says the same thing.  And he declares her the hero because she spoke to him when the rest of the family wouldn't while his heroics only involved stepping in front of a knife??  If that's all it takes then I think I am a hero, lol.     So I guess next maybe Voight or Dr. Rhodes could show up to declare her a hero.

• Love 2

Someone made the comment on FB's Chicago Fire page and I'm going to mention it here because I was wondering what you think. 

They suggested what if Ramon planned the attack so he could be the hero? While he was talking to Dawson, they thought he seemed like he wanted to confess something to her but didn't. 

So Gabby (and the unfortunate woman) both survive a close call inside the structure.  If only the FD had some device where outside personnel could communicate with inside personnel about changes in the situation.  They could even call it something simple, like, a radio.  Then firefighters could do what firefighters do, and medics do what medics do. 

5 hours ago, Guildford said:

At least make an effort.

And of course there's always the guy slapping the back of the ambo, letting them know it's okay to move.  Real life medics love that scene.

Writing for the scene with Cruz and Otis (was this the first episode anyone actually called him Brian?) about the cab advertising was positively atrocious.  Any partner in real life would have broken that completely differently, even off camera with a phone call. Yuck.  The whole thing is a setup for Cruz and the female bar owner, anyway. 

• Love 2

I wanted more info on the girl stealing the drugs. I kept expecting her to show up again, or for there to be some follow through. Then I remember which show I'm watching, heh. Third Watch this is not, sadly.

Gabby's father is annoying. Even being stabbed, he still has to have his 15 minutes and milk it for all it's worth. Guess we know where Gabby gets it from.

I don't care for Brett and Antonio. Both boring characters. This show needs some spice or something. It's so boring lately.

• Love 1

This is a boring show and badly written at that.  I hate how we have the "hot" younger charecters and then the older or not handsome guys are all buffonish clowns. Except for the Chief and he seems to be an unhappy tortured soul.  And wasnt he married last season (wife was a teacher or school shrink or something)?

And finally, why is a family of obviously Hispanic people named "Dawson".  I only started watching this show recently, so was that explained in a backstory?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

And finally, why is a family of obviously Hispanic people named "Dawson".  I only started watching this show recently, so was that explained in a backstory?

No explanation.

I suspect: the writers had the idea to have Rosario Dawson appear as herself on the show as Gabby's cousin and rival sometime during season one. Gabby was going to steal all her movie roles, prevent her from dating Severide, and run her out of town while still finding time to work for CFD. Didn't work out and were stuck with the Dawson name.

22 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Someone made the comment on FB's Chicago Fire page and I'm going to mention it here because I was wondering what you think. 

They suggested what if Ramon planned the attack so he could be the hero? While he was talking to Dawson, they thought he seemed like he wanted to confess something to her but didn't. 

See I pay so little attention whenever Dawson is on screen that I didn't even see that part.....either that or I was rolling my eyes too hard.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2018 at 6:18 PM, Brookside said:

I swear, one of these days I'm going to keep track of how much airtime Gabby gets (and Saint Benson for that matter).  Naturally my TV will be muted.

The clinic fire had NO PURPOSE than for Dawson to once again run into danger to "save the day". NONE. It's like they realized they were behind on Gabby's savior points and had to cram something in.

• Love 1

So at the stabbing Dawson was too shaken up to open up a small bag of some medical thing, and Brett decides that in spite of that she should get behind the wheel. Even though there was a fire truck parked right behind them and I would think any one of the fire fighters would be capable of calling the ambulance.

Also in the fire at the bluesman's house why did it take a chief to tell someone to cut open a wall and put out a fire?

• Love 1

Except for the Chief and he seems to be an unhappy tortured soul.  And wasnt he married last season (wife was a teacher or school shrink or something)?

Boden's wife is Donna and they have a son.  With all moping and wanting a drinking night with Casey and Mouch, then the daughter of the victim saying how she didn't really know her dad and Boden pushing Dawson to talk to her dad, I kept waiting for Boden to say Donna had left him and taken their son with her.  Or didn't Boden's dad die - was it supposed to be the anniversary of his death or something?

Doesn't everyone usually have a radio - including both paramedics?  Why did Dawson have to tell Brett to tell the guys a girl ran back inside?  Would have served her right if she got killed running into a burning building without the proper gear.  I don't really care about her and her dad, but I did think the least her dad could have done is mention on air how thankful he was that his daughter the paramedic and her partner were able to respond quickly and save his life.  I can't imagine some news station not jumping on the family of heroes aspect with the dad fighting a crazed maniac, his son the cop, daughter the paramedic and son-in-law the firefighter.

I also don't really care about Brett and Antonio.  They just don't work for me for some reason.  I guess it's not the worst pairing, but I feel like Brett deserves a nice happy, less complicated relationship without ex-wife and kids and job and dating your work partner/friend's brother drama.

Spoiler

I wonder if the Brett will end up being the pregnant character.

Are they losing the regular Molly's set so they needed to create a second Molly's or what?  That plot left me bored.  I feel bad for Otis when everyone keeps picking on him, but he does kind of bring it on himself, and getting your friends to buy a second bar to impress a girl seems a little extreme.  I also get little confused every time someone actually calls him Brian instead of Otis.

On 1/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, Waterston Fan said:

Personally, I didn't think that, but it DID cross my mind that maybe we'd find out later that it hadn't been exactly the way everyone thought...that maybe Ramon hadn't chosen to do it but somehow got pushed in the way, whatever, and just let everyone think he was this big hero. IMO from what we've seen of him so far, he just seemed like the kind of guy who would do that. But alas, apparently not.

I also don't really care about Brett and Antonio.  They just don't work for me for some reason.  I guess it's not the worst pairing, but I feel like Brett deserves a nice happy, less complicated relationship without ex-wife and kids and job and dating your work partner/friend's brother drama.

I really liked Brett with Cruz! Not only did they seem happy together, but for once, poor Cruz actually got the girl. IRL a handsome guy with a good career, who's really sweet, etc. wouldn't be the big shmuck of the group, the way they seem to like portraying him (and Otis). Give these guys a break for once! Remember poor Otis, finally getting together with Severide's sister Katie? Just when they were coming together, they had the girl gang raped and permanently traumatized?? Other characters also have faced tragedies, like even Severide losing his girlfriend to cancer, but they are still allowed happiness afterward. Cruz and Otis, though? Not so much.

• Love 3
On 1/6/2018 at 3:09 PM, 12catcrazy said:

This honestly drives me CRAZY. 

• Love 1

So at the stabbing Dawson was too shaken up to open up a small bag of some medical thing, and Brett decides that in spite of that she should get behind the wheel.

Yeah, I meant to comment on that too. She's too shaken to do her job . . . now you want her to drive? When she's clearly too distracted to keep her eyes on the road without constantly turning around to check on her father? Smart move!

• Love 2
On 1/6/2018 at 11:52 PM, athelyna said:

Are they losing the regular Molly's set so they needed to create a second Molly's or what?  That plot left me bored.  I feel bad for Otis when everyone keeps picking on him, but he does kind of bring it on himself, and getting your friends to buy a second bar to impress a girl seems a little extreme.  I also get little confused every time someone actually calls him Brian instead of Otis.

I can't imagine that they are losing the Molly's set.  It's used by all three shows and is built in their shared soundstage.  I think in the very beginning they used an actual bar in Chicago as the set, but now it's all a set in their production location.

14 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

That would not surprise me at all and I bet it won't last very long either. 

I assume that either it won't last long, or it'll just be something that will still exist in the background that we never hear about or see again.  

I am kind of hoping that maybe Otis can get a long-term girlfriend for once though.  Why does he always have to be so unlucky?  He's a nice, successful guy.  Let him get the girl...

• Love 1
7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I assume that either it won't last long, or it'll just be something that will still exist in the background that we never hear about or see again.  

I am kind of hoping that maybe Otis can get a long-term girlfriend for once though.  Why does he always have to be so unlucky?  He's a nice, successful guy.  Let him get the girl...

How can Otis ever find love when he is secretly pining for Gabby? Isn't she like everyone's perfect woman......what hope does any girl have?

On 06/01/2018 at 0:18 AM, Brookside said:

I swear, one of these days I'm going to keep track of how much airtime Gabby gets (and Saint Benson for that matter).  Naturally my TV will be muted.

Eeeuw yeah they are both tarred with the same brush - maybe dawson's been to NY to have detective training in her downtime? wouldn surprise me if that cropped up in the future! Think people are heartily sick of dawson - l know l am! 

On 10/01/2018 at 11:51 PM, Guildford said:

How can Otis ever find love when he is secretly pining for Gabby? Isn't she like everyone's perfect woman......what hope does any girl have?

Laughed my head off at this! Brilliant!

On 08/01/2018 at 4:27 AM, doLLish said:

This honestly drives me CRAZY. 

Yes - Ramon said their real family name in one episode - it sounded something like 'Dasonya' so l guess the nearest US version of the name would be Dawson.....

Edited by belletane
smelling pistake!
On 06/01/2018 at 0:28 AM, Guildford said:

It's sad how far this show has fallen.

I was hoping that Daddy Dawson wouldn't make it or would need round the clock care & then Gabby could shuffle off to florida or anywhere really to care for him....sadly I was left disappointed again. I almost vomited at the 'miracle' ending schtick.

They really do like to show Otis as incompetent don't they, I guess they think it is amusing but its not, it's cringeworthy. I'd be worried if he turned up to rescue me.

At least Brettonio had some chemistry....a nice change for a couple on this show. Guess that means it won't last. 

Finally...I know it's a TV show but they are seriously taking the piss now aren't they with the firefighting scenes (however brief and unimportant they seem to think they are) - so you have a room full of smoke & you kick the door down and wander in with no breathing apparatus, ok whatever. Or you are checking a building out to make sure the fire is out & just wander through poking the ceiling again with zero protection. At least make an effort.

Yes it is sad to see what the writers and runners have done to this show. It started out fantastically in Seasons 1 & 2 then started to slide. And its still sliding l'm sorry to say. So many of the storylines now (especially the dawson ones) are cringeworthy.  They should have kept up the budget for Fire as it was a great stand alone show and should have stayed that way. They sacrificed this show for the others! Wish dawson would clear off  for good with her father but no such luck  Take one look at him and it is easy to see where she gets her horrible traits from!