Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I think it's too soon to begin saying it won't get a season 2.

If it keeps the ratings over 2, it will get a second season but the budget will take a huge hit. Imo.

Edited by tarotx

If it keeps the ratings over 2, it will get a second season but the budget will take a huge hit. Imo.

I wonder if they'd cut an actor or two, or just fx, or a combo? Take out the other hawk would save on both (although prob not much on the actor). Taking out Ray or Stein would probably save them the most on salaries, but not a lot on fx assuming they replace Stein and keep Firestorm.

• Love 1

IDA. I don't know what numbers Legends is expected to make on a weekly basis, but given that CW shows all rate around this rating, I doubt the suits are already thinking about how to downsize it. They have a lot more problematic shows on their network.

IDA. I don't know what numbers Legends is expected to make on a weekly basis, but given that CW shows all rate around this rating, I doubt the suits are already thinking about how to downsize it. They have a lot more problematic shows on their network.

The guess is that LoT is more expensive than those shows. Likely a lot more expensive.

Keeping LoT as a 15ish episode series would probably keep the budget steady.

1 thing that really annoyed me about last nights episode is that they had Cold/Heat going to town with their guns but their guns did nothing. Why was nothing being set on fire or being frozen? Are they able to make it into a concentrated blast that doesn't do any major harm?

All of the Shonda Rhimes shows return next Thursday, so I'm curious to see if that has any effect on LoT's ratings.  If there is a season two, I think that they would be wise to wrap up the Vandal Savage stuff this season and dump him and the Hawkpeople.  Sorry, but they're SUPER lame.  

• Love 4

I actually think they do intend to wrap Vandal this season, but I think Kendra still has a chance to grow into a good character.  I think the promotion department (which has been doing a decent job really) should promote which decade they are going to more.  The time travel is what makes the show fun - so play it up.  I think the show can build a solid audience, but I actually WANT it to stay at a limited run.  I wouldn't actually mind if they cut it to 13 episodes to keep the budget.  Isn't I-Zombie a limited run show as well?  They should pair it with that show and make one a Fall hit and one a Spring hit as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 1

Izombie got an 18 episode order this season. My guess is the Julie Plec new series Containment didnt inspire faith in the network theat it would do that good. That is why shows like Izombie got extra episodes. And that the majority of the midseason promo went into LOT and the 100.

Edited by Velocity23

Zack Snyder Explains Why DC’s TV Heroes Can’t Be In The Movies
Posted about 16 hours ago by Jason Motes
http://sciencefiction.com/2016/02/05/zack-snyder-explains-why-dcs-tv-heroes-cant-be-in-the-movies/

Why is that?  Fans have been wondering about that for some time and now, ‘Batman V Superman’ director Zack Snyder has issued an official response:

“This is the bottom line for me. I have 100% respect and love for what they’re doing on TV. I think it’s amazing. The joy and the fun of them speaks to the iconic, graphic nature of these characters. These characters are bigger than any of the actors playing them. Long after I’m done making a Batman v Superman movie, there will be someone else who makes it. It’s almost like an American tradition now we’ve established that these characters will be played again and again, and they exist outside of us in this moment.

I think that’s sort of the thing I’ve embraced, and as opposed to trying to shoehorn all of these storylines into a single universe, we let the characters exist in multi-universe, and therefore it’s a lot more fun and a lot more value for the audience. They get to see their favorite and most beloved characters on different adventures at the same time in different universes and it really makes the meal a lot richer and a lot more fun. We get to go with these guys in all different directions and that’s really the joy of what we’re trying to do over here at DC.”

Is there any reason Constantine couldn't do to Thea what he did to Sara? Has that been explained on Arrow?

Sara was actually dead and came back as a soulless animal, hence Constantine being called in to help to put her soul back in.  Since Thea was only mostly dead when she went into the pit and still has her soul so no need for Constantine to jump in.  In universe it doesn't explain why Oliver isn't asking Constantine to head to Star City anyway.  He's still the only mystical expert they know of.

• Love 2
I think that’s sort of the thing I’ve embraced, and as opposed to trying to shoehorn all of these storylines into a single universe, we let the characters exist in multi-universe, and therefore it’s a lot more fun and a lot more value for the audience. They get to see their favorite and most beloved characters on different adventures at the same time in different universes and it really makes the meal a lot richer and a lot more fun.

Then why can't Batman and Superman show up on tv? Why did Arrow have to kill off Waller and Deadshot? That is not allowing the characters to exist in a multi-universe. That's allowing only the characters the movies aren't using to exist in a different universe, which makes little sense if they are different universes. 

• Love 5

Is it just me or would it be funny when Sara meets the Flash, she just throws something in front him while he's running, tripping him and he flies into a wall?  Since they've made Sara even more of a badass that minds her surroundings on LoT, I really want to see that. It was hilarious when I saw it on the Justice League cartoon. Plus I think Barry still needs to be taken down a peg since his only power is to run fast, so someone with no powers just not being impressed with him could help with that. Then of course he'll get one hundred pep talks from his one hundred father figures and be fine. 

• Love 4
Is it just me or would it be funny when Sara meets the Flash, she just throws something in front him while he's running, tripping him and he flies into a wall?  Since they've made Sara even more of a badass that minds her surroundings on LoT, I really want to see that. It was hilarious when I saw it on the Justice League cartoon. Plus I think Barry still needs to be taken down a peg since his only power is to run fast, so someone with no powers just not being impressed with him could help with that. Then of course he'll get one hundred pep talks from his one hundred father figures and be fine.

That would be funny. And I could see Snart too. "Damn it, why didn't I think of that?"

• Love 3

My impression of Barry's power isn't just that he moves fast, but that from his point of view when he's in speed mode, everything else appears to be stationary or moving really slowly, which is why he can pluck bullets out of the air and so on. He would see something chucked into his path as moving in slow motion and would easily dodge around it.

My problem with The Flash is how inconsistently they treat his power.  Guys like Snart with guns should be no danger to him at all because he can grab the gun out of their hand before they even realise he's arrived in the room.  Compare it to the scene in the crossover where Felicity is talking about a rock they need being in a particular museum - before she's even finished her sentence, Barry has run all the way to the museum, located and stolen the rock and run all the way back to their farm in the middle of nowhere.  That took him maybe a second or two.  And then we're expected to believe that he can't simply disarm every bad guy the instant he encounters them and before they even realise what's happening.  Either everyone around him is basically not moving (like that scene where he ran round and round Iris telling her he liked her while the sugar packet fell in slow motion - and she was aware of none of it) and he can do what he likes while he's in superspeed and everyone else is essentially frozen, or not.  They can't have it both ways, and yet they have his powers fluctuating according to story need.  I find it very tiresome.  I'm happy to suspend disbelief, but the internal rules of a story need to be applied consistently or they quickly lose me.

• Love 8

I really enjoyed this Thursday's LoT, but Vandal Savage is truly terrible. I think he is worse than the Hawks, Kendra might get better if given the chance.

Also, I was giggling like an idiot when they referenced the Titanic. I'm expecting some Alias jokes next :)

Edited by looptab

Then why can't Batman and Superman show up on tv? Why did Arrow have to kill off Waller and Deadshot? That is not allowing the characters to exist in a multi-universe. That's allowing only the characters the movies aren't using to exist in a different universe, which makes little sense if they are different universes. 

Add salt to the wound, MG has now gone on Tumblr and said that they weren't forced to kill Waller.  Not sure if I believe him. 

I really enjoyed this Thursday's LoT, but Vandal Savage is truly terrible. I think he is worse than the Hawks, Kendra might get better if given the chance.

Also, I was giggling like an idiot when they referenced the Titanic. I'm expecting some Alias jokes next :)

I missed the Titanic reference.  When did it happen? 

You know, I can believe it if they want Lyla back at ARGUS on a permanent basis. I don't see that happening with Waller running the show. Plus, they may not have been asked to kill Waller but were asked not to use her. If they want to keep using ARGUS, and it appears they do, it could be tricky to explain why the team was suddenly dealing with her second in command and not her.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this Thursday's LoT, but Vandal Savage is truly terrible.

Every time he speaks, with his teeny tiny half Doctor Evil, half chipmunk voice, I just point and laugh at him. It ruins the entire villain thing for me.

Maybe it wasn't DC that told Guggenheim to kill Waller, maybe it was Warner Pictures.

Super speed bugs me as a power because it just makes everything too easy and the writers have to think of ways to write around it somehow. I guess it helps that Barry is an enormous dumbass who needs to be told every other week that he should run faster. But even in something like the X-Men: Days of Future Past movie, which I enjoyed*, that film probably could have been cut in half if they just got Quicksilver for the entire movie, rather than two or three scenes... It even causes problems on Arrow IMO because in reality they'd probably be calling up Barry every other week, and when he does pop up, like at the end of last season where he saved them all effortlessly in Nanda Parbat, it just makes everyone else seem a bit worthless. I know we're probably supposed to think Barry is elsewhere fighting his own villains. I also have to say that I never have this problem when I'm actually enjoying the show, but when something isn't working for me it's easier to say 'why didn't they just ask Barry for help?'. It's a little annoying for me actually because I don't even particularly like The Flash this season.

*Even if my fave's storyline got cut down to about four minutes of screen time. One of the few times I actually read the original comic to compare to the movie, and poor Kitty gets nothing to do and a random new power. Better than nothing, I suppose.

• Love 2

From MG's tumblr...

liliescollins asked:
hi marc is the vixen web series canon in the arrowverse?

Yes.
gintoki79 asked:
You said that only Deadshot was off-limits, and Amanda Waller & Deathstroke are safe. But you guys killed Waller off just like that, and she doesn't seem like she will ever return(Because bullet to head). Who's next to be killed off? Katana? Once Deathstroke arrives in the DC movie, will he be also killed off too? This is really frustrating, that all awesome characters are being written off, because of the Suicide Squad movie, and is a slap to the face of Arrow fans.

Um… I never said that.

lavarosva asked:
Was the decision to kill Waller something that was mandated by DC? If it is it seems a tad silly.

No, it wasn’t mandated by DC.

greenarrow-bbb asked:
Any possible chance of either Slade or Walter returning throughout the rest of Season 4? #Arrow

The character of Slade Wilson is currently tied up in another DC project.  Walter is more likely.

smoakandarrow asked:
A little off topic but... Watching Agent Carter and was wondering, are the challenges of writing a non-costume/non-masked comic heroine -- like Peggy Carter, like Felicity Smoak -- different than those who are? Why do you think there's a resistance by some to label Felicity a super hero (cause there's no mask) while that same obstacle doesn't exist for Peggy Carter? Both are intelligence, capable, highly skilled women who take no crap, never doubt their worth & save people...what's up with that?

I love comparisons between Peggy and Felicity.  I think they’re both awesome heroes, awesome characters.  But putting anyone “in costume” requires a certain kind of leap.  I was very trepidatious about doing it with Diggle, for example.  The potential for it to feel silly is high – regardless of gender.

Edited by tv echo

Bwahaha! Well, I guess that's what happens when Wentworth Miller says Snart is pansexual, with a hard on for everyone's soul.

I didn't even know he said that! but honestly I swear the guy plays the character as if he is trying to flirt with every single character- but in a dry sarcastic way.. honestly, I think he could give Cap. Jack a run for his money.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 3

What do you guys think about Wentworth Miller in this role? I have warm feelings for the guy from when Prison Break was good, but I saw that scene of Snart with his younger self on Youtube and, to put it kindly, I was not impressed.

There is so much cheese in LOT, I cringe watch a fair bit,  Snart is usually the enjoyable aspects for me. The bit with the kid was not the best TV, but there were way worse moments and acting, than that in the episode.

• Love 1

There is so much cheese in LOT, I cringe watch a fair bit,  Snart is usually the enjoyable aspects for me. The bit with the kid was not the best TV, but there were way worse moments and acting, than that in the episode.

That is not really encouraging. :) Though I never planned on watching, so it doesn't really matter. I will say I appreciate them embracing the camp with the music they play during (at least Sara's) fight scenes.

• Love 1

You know, I can believe it if they want Lyla back at ARGUS on a permanent basis. I don't see that happening with Waller running the show. Plus, they may not have been asked to kill Waller but were asked not to use her. If they want to keep using ARGUS, and it appears they do, it could be tricky to explain why the team was suddenly dealing with her second in command and not her.

That is logical. So I don't mind that they took out Waller, if that is part of their plan. What bothered me is that finality in which they presented her death. They could have done something similar to Deadshot who is "dead", but could easily be not dead. I was surprised how graphic her death scene was. No ambiguity there. But then I remember she is a female and this is Arrow. So graphic & finality were requirements with these writers. However, it would have been nice to see them find another way to get Waller out of the storyline.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I don't know, they could have come up with a number of different explanations to keep her off, all less extreme than death. It's not that she was my favorite character or something, but it seems pretty idiotic to me to off her, given her relationship with Oliver and the role she played in his transition - and that she still could have played in the future.

Every time he speaks, with his teeny tiny half Doctor Evil, half chipmunk voice, I just point and laugh at him. It ruins the entire villain thing for me.

Maybe it wasn't DC that told Guggenheim to kill Waller, maybe it was Warner Pictures.

Seriously. Alvin Savage. He is less intimidating than Ted Grant's sidekick.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1

I don't know, they could have come up with a number of different explanations to keep her off, all less extreme than death, It's not that she was my favorite character or something, but it seems pretty idiotic to me to off her, given her relationship with Oliver and the role she played in his transition - and that she still could have played in the future.

How would you have done it? 

How would you have done it? 

Maybe a covert mission; or maybe someone stages a coup and she is no longer in charge; she could have been suspended/removed from her position; imprisoned. I don't know, I'm not a writer :P and I have decidedly a lousy imagination, but I'm sure if the purpose is to have more Lyla, they could have cooked up something to keep her out until they needed her again. That's why I don't believe that the decision to kill her was not imposed by someone else. They're shooting themselves in the leg, IMO.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 3

Back to Snart for a minute -  I LOVE him.  Yes, he chews the scenery, but it's just SO good. I like him and Ray together, but I ship Cold with Barry lol.  But if Snart keeps it up with the way he says Raymond, I might change my mind.

• Love 2

I like Snart well enough but it's not a shipping thing. He doesn't seem sexual at all. He still has the Flash affect for me I guess. Everybody on the show has this younger aura about them. Snart is a a very smart loyal 14 year old boy. Yes even with Wentworth's gray hair.

The problem with the boy scene is the Boy didn't give anything back. I kept worrying about season 5 of Arrow if William is bought on the show more often. Shivers.  Plus young Snart had brown eyes. Or seemed that way to me. Maybe just shadows but it was distracting. 

• Love 1

I just watched LoT 104 [thanks, Canadia], and I'm actually impressed at how they're managing to use all the 483 trillion characters in some sort of ordered and planned and useful manner. Phil Klemmer might have actual superpowers.

And OH MY GOD, Kendra is so much better without the douchecanoe creepifying on her 24/7.

No spoilers, but: the first 10 minutes of 104 are a delight of funtimes.

• Love 3