Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I'm curious to find out who the stand-outs among the cast will be.  I feel like Sara will be the most popular, by far (just my opinion).  With as much time and money that was spent trying to make Ray Palmer happen, I'm sure that the EPs are hoping he's a hit, but I've never seen a ton of enthusiasm for the guy.  IF Sara is the most popular, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pair her with Ray romantically in hopes that some of her popularity will rub off on him.  I mean, that's exactly what they did with Felicity/Ray, so...  

I think where there could be potential for the Ray/Sara thing where the Ray/Felicity just didn't work is that Felicity and Ray just reinforced his Rayness and by itself, well we saw how it could go very badly but when his Rayness played off of Oliver's Olverness it highlighted both characters in a positive way while not making them untrue to themselves.  What was annoying became amusing, what was smug became boyish. 

I have great hopes for Sara with or without Ray and there are plenty of characters on LoT that can play off of Ray's quirks but I also can see where Ray's positivity would be a good thing for Sara to be around (cause she always seems to wish she was that person) and while Ray plays light and happy, I think he has a dark side.  We saw some of his dark side when he found out about Oliver and turned for a time into this relentless, cold machine.  We saw hints of it in his absolute focus and determination to reach his goals no matter what lines he crossed or at whose expense when he tried to hire Felicity.  I just get the impression that the writers wouldn't have to work all that hard to find commonalities.  

So yeah, I'm open to the possibilities. 

• Love 3

Laura Hurley made her own Legends of Flarrow poster. Better than the above monstrosity. Less photoshop. 

Observe: Oliver Queen and Barry Allen as stars of their respective shows are of equal size and in the foreground. Rip Hunter as the binding agent of Legends of Tomorrow is in the center. He’s smaller than Oliver and Barry, but surrounded by the rest of the Legends of Tomorrow ensemble, all of whom are of equal size. All three shows are respectfully and accurately represented - aside from the terrible crayon work - according to what “Legends of Flarrow” is purported to be as a universe on The CW.

Also, Rip Hunter and Co. are purple because that’s the only other color of crayon that I could find.

tumblr_nycsgx3AYM1u57rvdo2_500.png

• Love 16

I think where there could be potential for the Ray/Sara thing where the Ray/Felicity just didn't work is that Felicity and Ray just reinforced his Rayness and by itself, well we saw how it could go very badly but when his Rayness played off of Oliver's Olverness it highlighted both characters in a positive way while not making them untrue to themselves.  What was annoying became amusing, what was smug became boyish. 

I have great hopes for Sara with or without Ray and there are plenty of characters on LoT that can play off of Ray's quirks but I also can see where Ray's positivity would be a good thing for Sara to be around (cause she always seems to wish she was that person) and while Ray plays light and happy, I think he has a dark side.  We saw some of his dark side when he found out about Oliver and turned for a time into this relentless, cold machine.  We saw hints of it in his absolute focus and determination to reach his goals no matter what lines he crossed or at whose expense when he tried to hire Felicity.  I just get the impression that the writers wouldn't have to work all that hard to find commonalities.  

So yeah, I'm open to the possibilities. 

For much the same reasons, Ray and Cold should play well off each other. :)

• Love 2

Oh joy - flashbacks are coming to Supergirl...

Supergirl Casting a (Young) Superman
By Michael Ausiello / November 24 2015, 4:12 PM PST
http://tvline.com/2015/11/24/supergirl-casting-superman-season-1-episode-13-kal-el/

According to some fresh casting intel, the show is seeking a 13-year-old actor with “future leading man looks” to play the potentially recurring role of Kal-El, aka the future MoS.
Lil’ Supes will first appear in this season’s 13th episode via a string of flashbacks that will establish the cherished bond between him and Kara.

No clue.  The math confuses me as well.

Eh, they're changing the comics backstory.  I don't see that as a problem.  I'm fine with it when it ends up somewhere I like, so I'm fine with it when it ends up somewhere I don't like, or am neutral about.

I don't think they're referring to the comics? In the show, Superman is already grown and wearing the cape when Kara's ship lands on Earth. And he's an infant when they leave Krypton. So I too am confused how she could have known him when he was 13. Unless I'm really misunderstanding something.

• Love 4

I think I've figured out what my issue is with Vandal Savage. I've always thought of him as a much larger man. Physically imposing. This actor, who I'm not familiar with, isn't. But I'll have to wait for the show to see if he has enough acting chops and presence to pull it off.

Young Kal-El makes no sense. He was an infant when he was launched from Krypton. Kara was a teenager. Then she was stuck in the Phantom Zone for so many years that when she finally got out and came to Earth Kal was grown up and Superman. Unless she travels back in time there is no way Kara can interact with a teenage Kal. The only thing that might work would be if Martha or Jonathon Kent showed up and recounted stories of young Clark to Kara to parallel some issue she is going through but flashbacks from a character not even on the show, has that ever been done?

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

I don't think they're referring to the comics? In the show, Superman is already grown and wearing the cape when Kara's ship lands on Earth. And he's an infant when they leave Krypton. So I too am confused how she could have known him when he was 13. Unless I'm really misunderstanding something.

Oh okay, I've only seen a couple episodes.  TVLine commenters are saying the ages were established in the Pilot, so yeah, they'll be contradicting themselves, presumably. 

I think I've figured out what my issue is with Vandal Savage. I've always thought of him as a much larger man. Physically imposing. This actor, who I'm not familiar with, isn't. But I'll have to wait for the show to see if he has enough acting chops and presence to pull it off.

Young Kal-El makes no sense. He was an infant when he was launched from Krypton. Kara was a teenager. Then she was stuck in the Phantom Zone for so many years that when she finally got out and came to Earth Kal was grown up and Superman. Unless she travels back in time there is no way Kara can interact with a teenage Kal. The only thing that might work would be if Martha or Jonathon Kent showed up and recounted stories of young Clark to Kara to parallel some issue she is going through but flashbacks from a character not even on the show, has that ever been done?

He looks like Vandal Savage by way of Rasputin. The Romanov Curse!

I still love the Anastasia cartoon. Don't judge.

• Love 7

I think they just want Superman on the show but can't use grown up Superman like Gotham can't use grown up Batman. Which is why I don't get why people praise DC for keeping their movie and tv universes separate. It's not separate if they don't let them use the same characters. If they are so separated it shouldn't matter if we see Superman or Batman on tv, they are supposed to be different characters than the ones in the movies. 

Also Superman is not needed so young Clark is definitely not needed. Unless he's a baby and it's Krypton flashbacks. The show is supposed to be about Supergirl, 

• Love 3

If they want a ratings boost they need to go ahead and leverage the multiple Earth's to send Barry/Flash over to Supergirl. 

Or hell, if they want to do a retcon, figure out a way to retcon Supergirl/Superman into the Flarrowverse.  I'm not sure HOW - but it can't be worse than casting a teenage Superman when the show reminds us at the beginning of every episode that by the time Kara got to Earth, he was grown and didn't need her. 

But people would tune in like crazy to see Supergirl and Flash race. :)

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 1

I'm finding the Supes stuff on Supergirl annoying. If they could show him, fine, but they can't, so we get shadows and a cape. And I was super annoyed that he had to come save her in, like, the 3rd episode. Why can't she be effective on her own? You bring Superman in for a big bad in the finale, not for a lame tease in the beginning of your show. 

DC, sometimes I just don't get you.

• Love 5

But people would tune in like crazy to see Supergirl and Flash race. :)

I would even though they did that with Bart Allen and the big dumb alien on Smallville. And I'd get Cisco fanboying over Supergirl, even though she hasn't done much. The girl can fly, has laser eyes, x-ray vision, super hearing and super strength. 

Plus they did just name drop Superman and Batman in the Legends trailer, They exist in the Flarrow verse. 

• Love 2

If they want a ratings boost they need to go ahead and leverage the multiple Earth's to send Barry/Flash over to Supergirl. 

Or hell, if they want to do a retcon, figure out a way to retcon Supergirl/Superman into the Flarrowverse. ...

I'm betting that if Supergirl gets a season 2, a "crossover" like this will be much more likely. We have a multiverse! This can totally happen -- how soon/how much, is the question.

• Love 2

I feel they should have taken a more Smallville approach with Supergirl. One of my favorite aspects of the first couple of seasons of Smallville was Clark discovering his powers. We jumped into Supergirls first day.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

Simple...just have Grant show up as an older Barry Allen. Have they specified what year it is?

Or as Trini said...multiverse.

They had Cat say she and Livewire disagreed over backing Hilary in '08, so it seems to be present day.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2

No clue.  The math confuses me as well.

Math isn't the writer's strong suit either. So perhaps we should all be prepared for a lot of fanwanking to compensate for the head scratching.

Realistically, I think they will just show flashbacks like they did in the episode with teenage Kara & her sister when they fly together. Although these flashbacks I think will include Dean Cain, since it seems his storyline might heat up since the DOE? took him because of his research on Superman.

Hah! I totally called it when Supergirl girl hit 1.7 and then 1.5 this week

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/26/supergirl-to-meet-flash-on-cbs-for-may-sweeps-weeknowadays-network-tv-shows-in-the-united-states-with-the-exception-of-news-programs-and-daytime-soap-operas-usually-have-about-22-episodes-per-seaso/

Rumors of Flash and Star Labs making an appearance on Supergirl for May Sweeps

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Haha. For me the writing on Supergirl is kind of juvenile. I like that they are keeping it lighter instead of going depressing like Man of Steel, but there is light and there is high school.  Even Flash has gone a little darker this season with Zoom, that was one of their best 10 minutes of an episode. Then they went back to Grodd. 

After watching Jessica Jones that dealt with some very dark and horrific subject matter, it never once felt like the men in the story were taking anything away from the women. We were seeing their stories, told in their POV. In Supergirl I feel like I'm seeing her story told by a man. Why is she in skirt? I know because comics but it seems it's more for titillation than necessity. She's not a bathroom door, we know she's a girl.

It's not horrible or anything but it is forgettable. It is funny that they need the Flash to boost ratings. Although having them race now would be pointless Barry is not the fastest man both Zoom and Reverse Flash could run faster than him. 

• Love 7

Another Thanksgiving Rumor, this one about LoT.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/11/legends-of-tomorrow-rumour-john.html?m=1

Well, from the same Thanksgiving source, comes the word that the upcoming DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow TV show is planning to radically switch casts and missions each season. As a model. it’s being compared to Justice League Unlimited cartoon.

Which means it is planned for Matt Ryan‘s John Constantine to appear as a series regular in 2017’s season two.

The show is also looking to cast Steven R McQueen, who plays Jeremy Gilbert in The Vampire Diaries as another new hero during season two as well.

Yes to Constantine, yes to the idea of a team swap, boo to Steve McQueen

• Love 1
As long as it's the Supergirl writers in charge and not The Flash writers it could be good. And frankly I'll bet Ali Adler could do more with Iris in one episode than The Flash writers have in a season and a half. Edited by jaytee1812
  • Love 1

I think Flash is perfect to perk up Supergirl, which I honestly think is a pretty decent show but it needs to build an audience.

And sometimes the comic outfit is important - I would find it odd if Supergirl wasn't in a skirt.  When I first saw the outfit they had mocked up for the Wonder Woman show that thankfully never got picked up - I hated it. And I'm a woman.  I just want these characters to look like I've seen them in comics and cartoons for years - even if they were drawn that way originally to be titillating. 

Another Thanksgiving Rumor, this one about LoT.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/11/legends-of-tomorrow-rumour-john.html?m=1

Yes to Constantine, yes to the idea of a team swap, boo to Steve McQueen

I would LOVE to see Constantine on a season of Legends and it would rock if they brought Zatanna in at the same time.  I think those two even have a comic history, but I'm not sure.  Still - ok with the team changing, but I need them to keep Sara and probably Stein.

• Love 1

I would LOVE to see Constantine on a season of Legends and it would rock if they brought Zatanna in at the same time.  I think those two even have a comic history, but I'm not sure.  Still - ok with the team changing, but I need them to keep Sara and probably Stein.

I think Ray and Sara will be locks for S2 and the rest of the series (more so Sara than Ray)... I can see Rip being in the show for a few seasons too. 

• Love 2

Haha. For me the writing on Supergirl is kind of juvenile. I like that they are keeping it lighter instead of going depressing like Man of Steel, but there is light and there is high school.  Even Flash has gone a little darker this season with Zoom, that was one of their best 10 minutes of an episode. Then they went back to Grodd. 

After watching Jessica Jones that dealt with some very dark and horrific subject matter, it never once felt like the men in the story were taking anything away from the women. We were seeing their stories, told in their POV. In Supergirl I feel like I'm seeing her story told by a man. Why is she in skirt? I know because comics but it seems it's more for titillation than necessity. She's not a bathroom door, we know she's a girl.

It's not horrible or anything but it is forgettable. It is funny that they need the Flash to boost ratings. Although having them race now would be pointless Barry is not the fastest man both Zoom and Reverse Flash could run faster than him. 

THIS. This is exactly how I feel watching it. It feels like it has no substance and I literally forget the episode once I've watched it. This is one of the reasons I don't see the show going on for many seasons. 

Also it's starting to feel like they really wanted to write a Superman show but obviously didn't get DC approval because of all the movies out currently. 

• Love 1

I don't know that I would continue with the show if they did that dramatic of a cast change each season. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't keep watching if they got rid of Sara again. And it'd be exceedingly stupid for them to go to all this trouble to resurrect Sara only to keep her around for one shortened season. :(

• Love 2

I don't know that I would continue with the show if they did that dramatic of a cast change each season. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't keep watching if they got rid of Sara again. And it'd be exceedingly stupid for them to go to all this trouble to resurrect Sara only to keep her around for one shortened season. :(

IA. I don't believe any of this.

• Love 3

If they are set on having a continual cast changeover on LoT I hope we don't have to waste a third of every Arrow season on setting up the new 'heroes'.

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 15

If they are set on having a continual cast changeover on LoT I hope we don't have to spend a third of every Arrow season on setting up the new 'heroes'.

Don't even put that thought out there!  What a horrible thought. 

• Love 7

I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that next season LoT will premiere in the Fall along with Arrow/Flash. I don't know if it'll get a full 23 episode order will have to see the ratings first.

It's interesting but I see a lot of fans (on spoilertv) predicting LoT to get better ratings than Arrow but, less than Flash.

Edited by Morrigan2575